Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of bar trend Fink Barred. My name is Jack. That one's courtesy of keV Whatev on the div bar trend Fink, of course, uh reference to the Coen Brothers movie, which is also the subject of one of my favorite Simpsons joke where I think Millhouse is like we snuck into an R rated movie bar trand think bart think. Anyways, that's Miles. Hey, Miles, Hi, Hey, hey hey, so uh these are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday afternoon. We talked, of course, yesterday that Trump's bond that he was supposedly getting from rich uh In Chubb CEO did not clear.
Speaker 2: Son of ai G. I forgot about that little detail. Ai G was his dad ran Aig.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So yeah, run the up and up.
Speaker 1: Self made man. But so it's looking like he might have to be fucked get all his so back in February, I just like this little uh you know. Back in February, Trump's lawyer Elena Haba went on Newsmax and when asked like, oh, so this is a lot of money, nervously laughed off suggestions that his properties could be seen stating there will be a bond and there will be no issues with that. Well it turns out there are some issues with that. Yeah, yeah, a lot of issues.
Speaker 2: I mean, we said, no company in their right mind is like give some freak a half billion dollars with a track record of fucking just skating on his debts. Yeah, fuck that, even if there was backed by assets or whatever. And yeah, now it's just going full screaming because the clock is ticking, y'all. It's a it's Monday, this Monday, March twenty fifth. Everything is about to go on sale in Trump world if you believe all the shit that he's saying on truth Social. This is what I look again, We honestly we don't know who's gonna bail him out or what's gonna happen, but we love to see when the true panic sets in and he does like seventy pages worth of screaming on truth Social because it's just Judge Eggern actually wants me to put up hundreds of millions of dollars for the right to appeal his ridiculous decision. In other words, he's trying to make take my appellate rights away. That's not true. Nobody's ever heard anything like this before. That's not true. I would be forced to mortgage or so great assets. I love that that's capitalized great assets GNA, perhaps at fire sale prices.
Speaker 3: And if and when I win the appill they would be gone. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Which an election interference goes fucking on and on and on and on like a like a nearly unbelievable amount for even Donald Trump, which makes me believe, man, there's no takers for this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like he's kind of in a tough spot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's also like there's even talk now that he's like, I gotta get I gotta get Paul Mannifort back in here to help me win again.
Speaker 1: He's talking getting old gang back together. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's not a good look.
Speaker 2: Man. That isn't a good look. And I wish you all the worst financially, sir, and hope that no one swoops to your rescue, although I'm sure on some level somebody will.
Speaker 1: But as hard as it's going to be to see this guy elected president again, at least it's good to see that some of the you know, bullying and financial crimes that he's spent his life, just having an unfair advantage him, like getting the unfair advantage taken away, like getting to watch him like come to terms with that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we we will see, we will see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we keep talking Forty Wall Street, which but that one's only valued at two hundred and twenty million dollars. It makes less than half what he owes. So Trump Tower, which you know, that's kind of what that's known as that that might be on the on the blocks.
Speaker 2: You messually, some petty like other billionaire who like like George Soros buys it, right, and he's like, yeah, you got my fucking rent full.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Steve Minuchin comes in, He's like, actually, I'm good on TikTok let me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just gonna own I'm gonna own your ass.
Speaker 1: Donald all right. Uh So there's an article in the New York Times about how private equity is. It's basically the dynamic that we talked about with private equity taking over everything from you know, retail like Toys, r Us and Jay Crew and just putting them out of business, to nursing homes. Well, that process is underway within the music industry. Basically, private equity companies are buying old catalogs. You might have seen all these headliness like Bob Dylan just sold his song catalog for three hundred and basically their way of monetizing this is to try to like build media universes on the backs of like legacy artists and their old songs without investing in anything new, because that's obviously risky.
Speaker 2: So we own the rights and then we'll tink with the fact that we are the rights holders. We will just find ways to iterate on it and make more money, like an FT or something like that, but we own the rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the all the money and energy is going to be going towards making money off of old music essentially, and you will have to discover new music on your own. I'm sure you know. Every couple years somebody will like naturally, like organically get big and like there will be some new music. But it's not gonna be a lot of it. It's not gonna be showing up in the places that we're used to seeing music show up. So this person who is like kind of an industry expert wrote in The New York Times. Historically, record labels and music publishers could use the royalties from their older hits to underwrite risky bets on unproven talent. But why quote would you spend your time trying to create something new at the expense of your catalog, asked Merk Curiotes, the former manager of Beyonce and Elton John who founded Hypnosis. The gnosis there spelled g n o sis like the you know wisdom, the feminine wisdom of ancient Greece, and so instead, self styled disruptors can strip mine old hits and turn them into new ones. Nearly four years ago, the publicly traded Hypnosis song bought a fifty percent stake in the funk star Rick James's catalog, which includes a Super Freak. To monetize its prize, Hypnosis found a lightly modernized update of Super Freak, had Nicki Minaja assemble a songwriting crew, and while in twenty twenty two, Miss Minaj's Super Freaky Girl, essentially the pop rap superstar rapping over Super Freak, became her first number one single that wasn't a joint release, and Hypnosis trumpeted the win in its annual report. So, which like that kind of like I remember at the time being like this feels a little cynical, but it's just kind of like rapping over and old. But that's because it was conceived in a boardroom to be something to brag about on a quarterly earnings call.
Speaker 2: That's what's so wild about that one. Is it sort of like no, yeah, like we it's not that like we're artists or like yeah, hey, we own this right, we own the rights of this song. Make that relevant again so we can make money off of it. Go yeah, thanks.
Speaker 1: But it's kind of it reminds me of like it's kind of the same values at work as with AI. Like the one thing they can't account for is creativity because creativity is like unpredictable and like it's a thing that they can't do, and so it like throws the power balance into an uncomfortable position for them, and like you can't put it on a spreadsheet. So they're always looking for ways to like drum it out of creative industries.
Speaker 3: But I own the ideas of creating people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you're if you're wondering like what this is going to look like, it's basically going to be like we already got all this old shit, Let's make movies out of it, Like let's build the Arista cinematic universe, right, So I just want to read some of the music biopics that are in the works, because we already talked about the Beatles cinematic universe, where that would be a different movie for each Beatle released within like a couple of years of each other. We've also got Michael Michael Jackson biopic coming next year starring his nephew, uh and directed by what's that? Who's the guy who directed like the professional and uh.
Speaker 3: Oh uh Luke Besson?
Speaker 1: Maybe I have that wrong, directed by Anyways, we got Michael Michael Jackson biopic coming next year starring his nephew Back to Black Winehouse Anton who Yeah, I got my French directors next up back to Black Famy Winehouse biopick Martin Scorsese, Jonah Hill biopick about Jerry Garcia, announced in twenty twenty one, is supposedly in the works. Piano Man about a half man, half piano cyborg transform. Sorry, no, wait, it's a it's a billy Joel biopick.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a guy who has beiten by radio active piano.
Speaker 1: That's right. I eagerly await the Caitlyn Dorante tweet, Keith Moon biopick, The Begi's biopick, Boy George, Bob, Dylan, John and Yoko not to be confused with the previously mentioned Beatle Cinematic universe. So this one is like Joker to the Batman movies with like Yoko as the Joker, the Yoker, the It's just and the the Joker. The title of that article is ten upcoming music biopick You need to be excited about whoa easy fuck you just because you know, now the online media outlets have all been hollowed out by private equity and neo capitalism, so they're just like passing along orders from you need to.
Speaker 2: Be excited about this or you will not fit in, you will be ostracized.
Speaker 1: You need to be We need you to be excited. We're kind of fucked here, Okay. Yeah, but like the Dylan biopic is like starring Timothy Shallome and it's you know, excited.
Speaker 2: I just saw that there's like a picture from the set.
Speaker 1: The pictures you're going viral, like ging Dylan in the in the Village.
Speaker 2: It's just there's not enough time to do. Biopics are just they always fucking suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just suck.
Speaker 3: I just don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to say this, Like no, like half the time that people are too cool in the in the viewer's mind for any actor to like encapsulate how cool they are or interesting. I don't know, but hey, go ahead, I'm sure. But again, it's again, it's the least creative way to chum the waters to get people to buy tickets, where it's like, well, how many Bob Dylan fans are there, Well, then make a movie so they must go see it. How many I'll be Bob Marley fans. Then you must make a movie so they must go see it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, And then people get excited about the music and they can stream that, so they're just it's always of finding too. It's all of them finding ways to profit off of existing music that has been brought up by private equity, and it's just going to be you know, there was this phenomenon where like people stopped going to see live music from anyone who was like under the age of fifty a long time ago, prior to Taylor Swift, and I think we're seeing that with like AllMusic. Basically we're just going to see a real, doubling down on songs that are by the elderly and recently deceased.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, maybe there'll be something cool soon.
Speaker 1: Problem. Yeah, no, it'll probably be cool like that. Michael Jackson also.
Speaker 2: Antolin, not France.
Speaker 3: He's from Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: It's gonna sat that part is American.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And Tom all right, but he's he's doing you say you say Pittsburgh, How you say brothers? I don't know. It's just my wife is French and so I just got oh wait, she's also from Pittsburgh. What the fuck?
Speaker 3: What's going on? All the French people in Pittsburgh? Man?
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, let's take a quick break and we will be right back. And we're back.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're back.
Speaker 1: And have you watched Irish Wish yet?
Speaker 2: You gotta ask, bro, have you did you do it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Motherfucker, I watched Irish Wish?
Speaker 3: Did you really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I'm so impressed by your commitment to these this level of film.
Speaker 2: My baby can't read, but I have seen Irish Wish.
Speaker 1: Your baby is one. Your baby shouldn't be able to read?
Speaker 2: Well, someone was shaming me saying the baby should be reading by now? Who I don't know little man Tate's mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, timely reference little bit.
Speaker 3: I thought forever.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I still remember like he like, she's like, why do you keep saying that word? And then sees that it's written on the bottom of like her coffee cup or something, and then from macquarie got the idea for the end of Usual Suspects.
Speaker 2: Oh man, holy shit, Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your baby doesn't be reading like.
Speaker 2: I That's what I said, City of Los Angeles back.
Speaker 1: Up kindergardens, like they're still learning to read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm joking, but I wouldn't. Maybe I wasn't joking that I was crying with tears in my eyes, saying, why won't you just read my script? But that's neither here nor there. But yeah, no, I watched it. I watched it because, yeah, the guy's child was actually sick. And let me tell you, folks, have my first bout with a.
Speaker 3: Baby with a fever. Uh, it's not easy. You can't.
Speaker 2: You're just chill, just like, lay down, man, just sleep it off like I would as an adult.
Speaker 1: Rather than be like they do not want to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, can't you behold them? And shit?
Speaker 1: Like just like all your body needs is rest? And you refuse and.
Speaker 2: You want to harlem shake. Yeah, that's what you want to do. You want to be fucking crumping all day in pain. Anyway, So I watched it. It's fucking's zact. Oh wait really well, it's just one of those It's a shitty like movie, holiday esque film, right cause it's like it's like sort of vaguely about Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also pretty sure no Irish people in the movie, but yeah, I think there's like maybe one or two. But like it takes place in Ireland, and like this dude is supposed to be Irish, his family's like English.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe there's some like other geopolitical shit I'm not catching here. They'll be like, oh yeah, man, Like they're still like a presser so they still be like laughing it up in their little castles and shit.
Speaker 1: I mean the one line that I did see that went viral was when Lindsay Lohan says, it is on the Cliffs of More, which is on the west coast of Ireland, is like very rustic, you know, a bunch of sheep farms and then these beautiful dramatic cliffs and she says, wow, I feel like I stepped into a James Joyce novel.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: The guy's like, wow, I'm so impressed by that literary reference. Pepys wrote about fucking Dublin. He wrote like Urban wins.
Speaker 3: It's like, could it be more about Dublin.
Speaker 1: She's like, yeah, James Joyce is my favorite.
Speaker 2: I read this piece in Vulture that I thought was interesting is a very It took a very sort of sarcastic tone, but the thrust of it was sort of essentially saying like they're trying to prepare people for like the coming ai script writing boom where nothing is good and doesn't make sense, but we'll be like, oh yeah, maybe this is fucking fine.
Speaker 1: It just from human eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was said in jest, but I thought it was like an interesting take. But anyway, it's it's it's like so bad it doesn't make sense. There's like this like Irish lady who grants her a wish? Basically Lindsay Lohan is a ghostwriter for this novelist Paul Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Of course it was very literary. She loves Jim's choice.
Speaker 3: Dude, obviously.
Speaker 2: That's why That's what I feel like when I'm here on the cliffs of More, but Dublin not so much.
Speaker 3: I felt like I didn't know where I was.
Speaker 1: When somebody pointed out it would be like an Irish character wandering around Times Square and being like, wow, I feel like I'm in the grapes of wrath.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, this America was like, yeah, wonderful, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the movies, like she she works with this like author that she's like secretly in love with, and then she wishes that she was actually married, she was getting married to him rather than her best friend, and then with a snap of the wind, she wakes up in like the new reality where she's gonna marry this dude, and then realize that she doesn't. It's not worth your time, right, So I wasted my own for you, and that.
Speaker 1: Is why thank you for doing that. Yeah, Irish getting sounds like it should be insulting, Like it sounds like it should be no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like anytime you use like a nation as a modifier for a normal word, it always feels like it's there's no way around it. It's like, yeah, Irish, wish fucking.
Speaker 1: Something to CEO. You would be like I would like a raising. Your CEO would be like that sounds like an Irish wish to me. Akay, it ain't happen in pal Yeah, how about this?
Speaker 2: How about I offer you instead some Japanese ice cream and you're like, I don't know, is that an insult?
Speaker 3: I have no clue, but.
Speaker 1: They all over is fucking Japanese ice cream, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It looks just like ice cream. Yeah, but it's from ship Pain. It's like tasty or something. I don't know ever, I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's perfect. The Grapes of Dime Square. It's like it.
Speaker 2: Feels because that's again, it has like this weird feeling of like who wrote this?
Speaker 3: And they also don't know anything about anything, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't expect a Hollywood screenwriter to know James Joyce. Like I only pretend to have read James Joyce. I've read like a couple paragraphs of that shit.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, dude, I fucking spark notes though entirety of portrait of the artists.
Speaker 1: You know, I've like talked to enough people who have pretended to read it and like done the googling enough to you know, know that you can't say cliffs of more is James Joyce? Yeah, truly, truly, Well, at least Netflix, it seems like it's got other got there head in the right place in other places, for instance, bringing the Snowman's Harry Hole back.
Speaker 2: The Snowman's What.
Speaker 1: So Harry Hole? You don't do you remember the crime? Yeah, the crime thriller, the Snowman. Yes, yes, yes, mister mister hello, mister police.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hello, mister police.
Speaker 1: Right, I gave you all the clues.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: Anyways, that that character is part of like a Jack Reacher like style series of novels, and people have like I remember when the Snowman was bad, people who like crime novels were like, and this sucks because like the Harry Hole books are actually pretty good. So he's getting another shot. Joe nez Bo, who you know, is it Harry Hole? Came up with the name Harry Hole, stuck with it, just.
Speaker 2: A bunch of great you got Joe nes Bow and my great character Harry Hole.
Speaker 1: Just couldn't be more nineteen seventies poorn nomag type shit. Yeah, oh right.
Speaker 2: No it's Norwegian, so it's Jay.
Speaker 3: It's just Joe joh And then.
Speaker 2: The that that funky oh with the line through it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, but like the Hello mister Policeman, I gave you all the clues, gave us so many great memes. So maybe maybe that's what we're happening.
Speaker 2: I mean, the books were popular, right, Like, that's the only reason they made they made the film.
Speaker 1: So the novelist yourself will adapt his own novel for the show. So we'll say.
Speaker 3: And that I'd be like, that's a fifty to fifty shot right there.
Speaker 2: It'll either go well because something like you can actually understands like the intent of like what the book's supposed to be, or he'll be like, get way too caught up and be like I'm a scriptwriter now, and they're like, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're fucking it up, Joe, that's not how people talk. Yeah, or maybe able to be Norwegian.
Speaker 2: Bosh nah, Nordic bush, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: All right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday, March nineteenth. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show, A Banger with one Jamie Loftus, So tune in for that a bangor until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye,