Speaker 1: It's just it's like thirst trap kind of content a thirst trap at Violet right now.
Speaker 2: This is just I'm trying to explain it to people.
Speaker 3: We embrace it. Yeah, Look, we're eighteen and over. We can be a little edgy and risque, so why not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, because what I just looked at, I mean, you look hot your ais ai.
Speaker 3: It's definitely like yeah, I mean you're a I see other people's ayes. I'm just like, wow, it's so good. But it's not that that doesn't look like them. Yeah, it's just this kind of like a bit more polished, like, oh what I look like when I, you know, do my hair and wear makeup for me?
Speaker 2: It is like before kids, you know, before having a child.
Speaker 1: I'm Lori Siegel and you're listening to Mostly Human, a tech podcast through a human lens. Amy. I'm so happy to have you here and like full disclosure, we are friends, yes, And how we became friends is we met at? Was it it was in Lisbon right at a tech conference?
Speaker 2: Was it? Actually?
Speaker 4: I think it might have been in London. Yes.
Speaker 1: I feel like you are my person at tech confervents. Yeah, where I always need a safe space and someone in a corner who can like be like a breath of fresh air with all the tech bros. And honestly, that is you, And I feel like it kind of says something about you.
Speaker 3: That's very sweet. I appreciate that. I feel the same way where you just have this kind of like I feel like we just met and just immediately clicked as friends. And I mean, your background is also fascinating. So we just had a lot to chat about when it came to just the tech world in general.
Speaker 1: Will you go into these tech circles and oftentimes, not to be cliche, it's just like all dudes talking about dude things and not really the human way into things or and we initially always just had interesting conversations about the state of technology, about all the things kind of happening, and it always just felt a little bit different. So I'm glad to have you here, especially we've been doing so much, so much dark stuff artificial intelligence and what happens when you lose consent online and how AI can be misused and so to think about how it can actually be used to benefit and how we can have more ownership. Seems like you're like our perfect guest for this. Thank you so Okay, So you have such an interesting background, which we're going to get into, but I want to just start to talk by talking about Violet.
Speaker 2: This is your new venture.
Speaker 1: I know you're kind of the tagline for it is it's like the HBO of social media.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Violet I co founded with my business partner, Kaylee Magder. We've been working on it. Honestly since twenty end of twenty four, twenty twenty five. It was our full time venture when we raised money, did the whole thing, and then we just launched in April of this year.
Speaker 4: And Violet's an.
Speaker 3: Eighteen and over platform where anyone can monetize content and build a community. We really took the best part of social media and create platforms and put them into one new experience. So, you know, I grew up, you know, to date myself a little bit in like the MySpace era where social media was much more social and fun, and as did my business partner, and as we were kind of like ideating like, oh, should we do something in this space? You know, it really came down to our own frustrations with you know, how the current state of social media is meaning it.
Speaker 4: To a lot of doom scrolling.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of seeing content that you know, miners shouldn't see or even we shouldn't see that. You know, we don't know what's going to always be shown to us. And you know, we wanted something fun. We wanted to like see content from people we care about. We wanted to you know, have that you know, surprise and delight of discovery back into social media. We're eighteen and over, so we do allow for topless content. So that's where we've been dubbed, you know, the h social media.
Speaker 4: But there's nothing fully new, there's nothing explicit.
Speaker 3: You know, we take the stance that social media, especially when monetizations involved, should be for adults.
Speaker 1: I love that you just mentioned MySpace, and I'm also I guess going to date myself because I loved MySpace. I was like the girl that like wrote poems on MySpace and of course like Emo Laurie like I had.
Speaker 4: I just it was.
Speaker 2: Such a cool community.
Speaker 1: But it's actually MySpace predated Facebook and all. Just like it was really kind of how we grew up with social media. It felt really different when I first got into social media. It just felt like this was really interesting and it was cool and it brought you closer with your friends, and it felt like a little bit punk rock. It just felt like a different time and that was like, God, I feel so old saying this, but this was like fifteen, almost like twenty, like.
Speaker 4: Early two thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things were so different then. Online you had these platforms just emerging before they've what you know, before what they've evolved into now, which no one at the time, what have ever guessed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, were you growing up? What was your like gateway into tech? Was it MySpace?
Speaker 2: Like now you're like a tech CEO now, So growing up.
Speaker 1: Was there something that was like your gateway? I guess mine was like a TAMAGATCHI does that?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say Nintendo sixty four, Okay, maybe no, it's super Nintendo.
Speaker 4: Really date myself, like.
Speaker 3: You know, I just grew up on you know, different video games, a game Boy.
Speaker 4: I had an Original Game Boy.
Speaker 3: I think there's something about new technology that I've always just naturally gravitated towards.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Same.
Speaker 1: I remember in college it was like I was one of the first to get an iPhone and people are like, that's so weird, what is that? And God, again, I just feel like I'm like an old person talking to someone at this moment, but like, but it was, there's something about kind of new technology and something about you that I've always thought was really interesting. And I know this as your friend, but also as I was looking through your history and really understanding it is like you you are an edge person too, Like you like the edges before they become the center. You before Violet, you were the CEO of OnlyFans, so adult content. This kind of felt like it was a bit on the edges. Before that, it was cannabis. You were opening up a cannabis cafe in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Things that you know might be hard to explain to mom and dad.
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 2: What is it about the edges that interest you?
Speaker 3: Well, you say edge, I say forefront. You know, being on the forefront, that's new, what's interesting. You know, I kind of naturally gravitate towards what's up and coming, what might be considered a little bit taboo before it hits much more of mainstream culture.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I I'm not sure where that comes from in terms of if it's probably just a natural interest curiosity. Professionally, I've worked in a range of industries from fashion, CpG, tech, and the common thread throughout everything is really just like, oh, what's new, what's up and coming. I think there's something very exciting about that and also having that kind of eye or insight into what could that potentially be. And while it's controversial to others it, you know, fast forward a few years, it's much more mainstream and loses a bit of that stigma to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, And so going back, you were born in Mumbai, you were raised in Virginia.
Speaker 2: An only child, I am an holy child. Your parents are immigrants.
Speaker 1: I'm curious did their journey impact your career aspirations at all.
Speaker 3: So, actually, I don't think I've talked about this publicly, but I'm adopted from India. My father's Indiana and my mom's American. But just grown up, I've obviously very pronounced I like to say la accent. But you know, I think having parents from a different background, and also, you know, most places is that I've lived like, there's not a ton of diversity. Yeah, you know, so I think that starts to shape your outlook.
Speaker 4: On how you see things.
Speaker 3: And now even in my adult life, I find like, oh, I have so many more South Asian friends than I ever did growing up, because there just weren't, you know, various different types of people around.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I mean especially it's so funny because I think so many journalists, when you're like looking at this, call your background as a taxio non traditional because it seems as though, like so many of the people we see in these roles in technology feel a little bit similar or have similar backgrounds. But I do find it's really interesting when you meet people who grew up in places where they might not have felt like they always fit or it felt like there was something that was always the same. I remember growing up the only Jewish girl a very Christian, conservative.
Speaker 2: Southern school where there was a lack of diversity.
Speaker 1: My whole career has been spent saying, Okay, how do we get more people involved, or that perspective is so much more interesting, or that it feels like it's like a frustration that actually ended up being a fuel to some degree for you.
Speaker 4: I completely agree.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember when I was turning thirteen and my birthday of party was a whole party, and I lived in a you know, very predominantly Jewish area and went to nothing but bar batmans, was every weekend.
Speaker 4: I was like, my birthday really stucks.
Speaker 2: That's really funny.
Speaker 1: Well I grew up where no one had gone to a bar movements, Well I was the only bat mits. When they came to they had no idea what it was. So that's that's really interesting, Okay.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: You end up you tell me, let's start with a cannabis cafe.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So before joining only Fans, you helped launch one of Los Angeles's first cannabis cafes. I mean, this is post legalization, but I'm sure at the time the camp this industry was heavily regulated. This probably wasn't the easiest of things. What did you learn from that experience? How'd you get into that?
Speaker 3: So I got into it working for with a and in the sector, and they were opening a establishment in West Hollywood which was very friendly to cannabis overall. And this was like twenty eighteen twenty nineteen at the time, so you know, there were dispensaries all over LA the way that you see liquor stores a lot of places.
Speaker 4: In the US.
Speaker 3: So you know, there were tons of these kind of like cool brands popping up. And also to give context my background, I worked with Red Bull before being in cannabis. That's kind of again like a little edgy being on the forefront. And with that business there's a lot of regulation you must be twenty one to consume. Also a lot of misconceptions like what where you know, people think like, oh, this is you know, is gonna cause to have a lot of like bad actors around, or you know, there's you know, a certain reputation with you know, we all grew up with movies about the stoner in high school. But really there's tons of people where whether it's a medicinal value, recreation, provide some sort of you know, just like anxiety relief, Like people are consuming it all the time, like you've all been to concerts, Like it's not it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And I imagine opening this cafe.
Speaker 2: What did you learn?
Speaker 1: What did you learn about about the industry, What did you learn about people?
Speaker 3: We're all really similar and I will say, you know, there was something special about that place.
Speaker 4: It's no longer around.
Speaker 3: It shut down during COVID can't have in person establishments, even though cannabis was an essential business at the time, But there is something special where you're seeing especially in West Hollywood, a lot of people know it, you know for being you know, such a leader in the gay culture and community. But there's also a lot of elderly people there and they didn't have anywhere to go. So you'd have these locals come over and just you know, want to sit have a coffee and a joint. But then they'd be sitting next to like a rapper and like.
Speaker 4: Like and like you know, iced out chains.
Speaker 3: But it's just there's something about this, like really unique diversity that you don't see everywhere. And I was leading marketing for the business at the time, and you know, it was covered on the Family Friendly Today show, which you know could be considered taboo, but really you're just looking at something like, you know, anyone that's older they probably were teenagers in the seventies, so it was everywhere. So there's something about this, you know, the education of how this product is beneficial for a range of people, and just again breaking down that misconception of like, O, who's actually using this? And you know, when something's regulated, there's you know, good ways it can be used.
Speaker 1: I did see some funny little tidbit about how did you guys have to like train the waiters to help manage any spiraling customers or something.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a huge tricks so someone gets too hot. Although it's funny is people think that I'm like, you know, just reputationally as someone who's been in vice industries.
Speaker 4: It's like party girl. So like they're like, oh, like you probably smoke, you do all this stuff, and I'm like, I am the most boring person.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're interesting. Let's talk about OnlyFans. You join in twenty twenty as the head of marketing. What a year to join OnlyFans.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, So I joined as CMO of the business. I was based in Los Angeles at the time. Entered the company through a mutual friend of the owner, and you know, had this real vision of how it's a disruptor in entertainment, owning your IP the creator economy, brought in a lot of vernacular that wasn't being used at the time. Also brought in a lot of relationships and new ideas to help, you know, drive the business in a direction that they weren't necessarily thinking of at that time and.
Speaker 1: Describe what OnlyFans was at the time kind of before you kind of got in then and then how that evolved.
Speaker 3: So, like everyone, we kind of were seeing it on social media. You saw some girls in bikini sharing like oh, follow me here, subscribe to me here, And I was just like everyone else, like this looks what is this? I'm yeah, you know, as someone who likes to be on the edge or the forefront, I'm naturally just curious about a new platform.
Speaker 4: So I'm immediately intrigued.
Speaker 3: And you know, it had obviously had the reputation and continues to do so for spicy content. But I really saw it as being like, oh, this is a true disruptor in like creator economy, influencer and how people can actually own their ip.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did in want interview.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty was the year the influencer became the creator.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about that.
Speaker 3: So that's where, Look, we all have phones, we all really were all creators. We're all entrepreneurs. Everyone's a multi hyphe in it. But at that point it's like influencers were at home. Everyone was at home. You're just consuming content, whether it was on you know, Twitch, YouTube, only fan and any social platform. Everyone's just hungry for content, hungry for consumption. So that's where there is this uptick, and anyone who is already creating content they went double triple time because they just saw like such engagement happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like COVID was just this accelerator for so many things. It was a complete shift and the way we interacted with each other and the way we worked and all of these things, and it did do something fundamentally to the creator world that as it evolved since then, but completely changed the game. So it's twenty twenty one now and you become CEO. The CEO stepped down some controversy the platform had said it would ban explicit content and a backtrack, and Tim stepped down, You stepped up.
Speaker 2: What was going through your mind when you got the call that you would be CEO?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's nice to be and I'm you know, forever grateful for being just acknowledged for the work that I had done and continue to like support for the business. And that's kind of that instance where it's like, oh, you know, I didn't realize it at the time, but I was the one chiming in with you know, oh, let's work with this, let's have this partnership let's do this, or you know, there's different emails and scenarios where I'm stepping in and sharing you know, opinions, ideas on what to do, and also coming into the business so passionately of like, oh this is you know a true disruptor. Is what led to you know, taking the reins when Tim stepped down, and then that's when I really doubled down on platform safety, transparency, a lot of those kind of core trust in safety fundamentals, which you know when we get into Violet, that's really what impacted a lot of the foundations of the platform I co founded.
Speaker 2: Was there a learning curve at all?
Speaker 3: Definitely in a sense that a lot of people don't know this but only Fans is a UK domiciled business, so you know, there's a lot of public affairs learnings. You know, we didn't grow up learning about the UK government in the US. You know, you have the House of Commons, House of Lords, like you know, I remember looking at a list as like these sound like Harry Potter characters.
Speaker 4: Like I don't know what explain that because there just you.
Speaker 3: Know, everyone goes by like you know, a much more formal title. Yeah, you know, things are quite traditional there and the biggest learning is seeing you know how the UK, especially at the time, was much more on the forefront of online safety, especially the age verification, and now that's look at the rest of the world. It's caught on in terms of these conversations around like oh, what are miners being exposed to? Like how can we prevent that? Should social media be for any on under sixteen or over sixteen?
Speaker 1: So it's really interesting because UK has been ahead, especially with deep fake abuse and so many of these issues surrounding online safety.
Speaker 2: And it is interesting because.
Speaker 1: During your time there, I saw this threat emerge, like you wanted only fans to be known for more than just adult content. This is like part of now what you're doing at Violet, which we're going to get into. Why do you think only fans didn't really make that leap? Like what were you frustrated? Like what was that like and with some of these priorities and how have you kind of like taken that into Violet.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's still, you know, known for a range of creators. You're kind of always seeing different news articles of like, oh, this person's not only fans, this person's doing that. So it's always been known for it, but because it does allow for you know, content on the spicier side. Yeah, it will you know, have a bit of that reputation, which I think is good. That's what gave it that kind of cool factor and continues to you know, keep it relevant the media. And then looking at Violet, that started as really our own frustrations of social media and the doom scrolling, the not seeing content from your friends. But also we all have friends that want to monetize. They don't have a following, they don't know how, they don't know where to start, and it's really quite intimidating, you know, looking at these other platforms they don't know you know.
Speaker 4: Oh how do I set up a profile? How do I set up a page?
Speaker 3: And that's where it kind of clicked, like, oh wait, we can take the best of social media, the best of a creator platform in terms of the monetization tools, and put them into one new experience. And that's where we really see Violet, you know, as its own lane in the market. You know, there's nothing sitting between creator platforms and social media for adults, so we really categorize it as adult social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like and so you left OnlyFans in twenty twenty three. Before we leave Only Fans, can you just like take me into the room. What was like the craziest call or experience you had as the CEO of OnlyFans.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a lot of funny conversations. And this even happens now around like, Okay, what's getting moderated for content, for example, Halloween costumes, so you can't have blood, but if it's in a like a costume setting, like, oh, it's like learning about different context for things.
Speaker 4: And then really and I feel like you'll relate to this.
Speaker 3: It's just people's and this happens to this day still where people can't believe like oh, that's your job or you worked at that company.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, yes, yes I did.
Speaker 3: Or there you know, there's many times, you know, I'll get on calls and people aren't expecting, you know, an executive to look the way that I do. Or many times people think that I'm, which is a compliment, significantly younger than I am, and I will have to voluntarily give up my age or say I'm a lot older than I look.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: Just like even like the misconception of like you get on a call and someone doesn't realize Yeah, the only fan CEO could be like.
Speaker 4: Like, who is this kid? Where's are you the assistant? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow wow, So you decide to leave It's twenty twenty three. Was it what made you decide to leave?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 2: Was it the opportunity for something new? Was it time to move on? What was it?
Speaker 3: Kind of a combination where, you know, I felt like it was time to move on. I had done so many like amazing things there, accomplished a ton of goals, growth experience, you know, I joke it's like an MBA on steroids. And then it's like, Okay, how can I take this experience and do something on my own? So that's when I left. I launched an advisory Hoxton with my co founder business partner in Kaylee, and we're both very entrepreneurial. So in the back of our minds while we're working with a range of clients we had like fintech luxury CpG, like, okay, well we want to start a company. Our running joke was that every shady character that you can imagine who had their idea for the next like of would reach out to us. Only yeah and then you know, we always shun them away, especially Kaylee, but it happened so much and then it was kind of like I was always like, no, I'm not going to go back into that sector. But it was really just seeing like, oh, no, one's talking to this entire white space of potential users, of people who want to monetize don't know how, And then just look at the frustrations like I hear from not just creators but our friends or you know, other influencers talent where they're like, I don't they're frustrated with the current state of social media. They've plot towed on growth, they're not their content's not seen, they're not being seen. So we kind of felt like, okay, maybe there's something here well.
Speaker 1: And there's also just like this really interesting happening like after chat GPT launches twenty twenty two. AI is nothing new, but now it's mainstream to see. It happens so fast, it happens so quickly, and all of a sudden, there are all these conversations about consent online. I mean, I know, for me, it's really near and dear. The rise of sexually explicit deep fakes. A lot of these women in public some more public than others who had their likeness taken because now we're in this age where our most intimate features, our voice, our face, our bodies.
Speaker 2: Can be mimicked with AI.
Speaker 1: And so now we're entering this era where consent online really matters.
Speaker 2: And if someone wanted.
Speaker 1: To create AI Laurie to do anything, they could, And so I think it's really interesting to think about, well you combine that moment with a lot of the stuff and the frustration from creators, and also what could a social media platform look like if it was built with folks who have experience in the creator world, but who are also women. And I think that kind of like combination and those ingredients are kind of at the core of Violet. It almost feels a little bit like an offshoot of only fans, but very different in some capacities. You've launched just a couple months ago, So what have you seen so far?
Speaker 3: So we're still very new, but we have about ten thousand users on the platform already. We're continuing to grow daily, adding upwards of five hundred to a thousand new users.
Speaker 4: You know, to.
Speaker 3: Us, anyone can join violetworld dot com. But you jump on, you're able to you know, make a profile. You're able to leverage AI tools. We have AI chat, image generation, we have vibe matching. So if you're a fan you want to find a creator to follow, you can type in you know, their aesthetic, you know, an esthetic preference, you type in hobbies, interests. Like there's this discovery feature that just not available elsewhere. So that's something we're really excited about. And also everyone on the platform as a human because you go through an onboarding process where you know, there's age verification, there's you're setting up a profile. We actually require everyone to have a profile image. We found that it makes just a much more enjoyable engagement experience when it's not just.
Speaker 4: That like icon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, while we have AI tools, you know, we do value and prioritize human connection and experiences. It's fully integrated as a space where anyone can build a community, connect with their kind of like creators they might know they want to follow, they can you know, have a place online to discover, you know, have that sense of discovery back.
Speaker 4: It's just not it hasn't been around for a long time.
Speaker 1: So you're months in what are you seeing, like, what are interesting creators doing? Like how are they interacting with it, what are people monetizing?
Speaker 2: How it has it working?
Speaker 3: So you're seeing a range of content. Also, anyone can share content on Violet. We want people to feel like they can express themselves. The only difference between kind of fans or users of the platform and creators is that creators set up subscription tiers, meaning they can monetize their content through premium VIP subscriptions, through pay per view content, custom content that they're able to us upsell to their followers.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the AI integration. What is Violet doing with AI that's unique? What are the decisions made to get there?
Speaker 2: What will you do? What won't you do?
Speaker 3: So for AI, we want creators have full control over their digital twin, meaning that they upload eight to twelve images of themselves to be able to train it. You know, they can put in create their own prompts. We have pre selects if they're like not sure what they want to write, and it's really streamlined the image creation process. They own all of the AI images that are generated. So after they generate an image, if they like it, they can post it to their Violet profile. They could post it to their you know, VIP or premiums here and upsell it, or they can download it and then it will be watermarked with Violet AI too, and that gives them like really a sense of control over their likeness their IP. We also have AI chat on Violet, so that's where you're actually chatting with Violet AI. It's getting to know you, your tone of voice, and I'll ask you questions. I'll where are you from, what hobbies are you into? Do you have any pets? Like it truly does get to know you. Like I keep my AI chat turned on and I'll find people will chat with it. But of course, because they're all about transparency, I can then go back and see like, okay, what is AIA me even saying to people.
Speaker 2: And the idea is that you could monetize AI.
Speaker 1: You you own, you have ownership over your AI likeness, and this is a social network and a place where you could kind of put it work if you wanted to to some degree.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, That's where you know, you just can toggle to turn on your AI so then I can chat for you. You know, if you're at work, you have other things going on. But then your fans get that sense of like, oh, like Laurie's you know, recording a podcast, but oh I can chat with her aiight or like, as a creator, so much work to produce a full shoot, make content, and this allows you to like, oh, I want to you know what if someone's like, oh I want to see they look like in a purple wag or in a blue shirt, Well, quickly use AI.
Speaker 4: And I'll generate whatever you want.
Speaker 3: You know, on Violet we have everything labeled with AI for a transparency, So on all the images there's a star icon, so you know, okay, this is created with Violet AI, and it's very clear even in the chat, there's a live chat with the actual creator and then you can see like, oh, their AI.
Speaker 4: When you're chatting with their AI.
Speaker 1: Is there a world like I mean, it's certainly seems like we are entering this world where people are okay with talking to an AI version of somebody, and.
Speaker 3: Oh, look at the success of like replica character AI these other you know, platforms or people a lot of times are talking to a fictional character yeah, or someone made up And this allows you to be like, oh wait, this is based off of a real person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I you know, at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: As much as we all embrace AI in AI tools, nothing takes the place of the human experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what's interesting is like you see so you see this, it's like this idea of world building. So many of these really successful AI companies and I look at like character Ai, although albeit they didn't have the correct cardrails with like and they also didn't have the permissions like they had like Ai Nicki Minaj. But Ai Nicki Minaj was building out a world and having all these crazy conversations with folks and getting millions and millions of chats, which kind of proves the point that people know that it's not Nicki Minaj, but they are willing to do it. The problem with character Ai is that they didn't have permission from Nicki Minaj to be doing this. And so my understanding from Violet is that you do have permission and yeah.
Speaker 3: We're not doing anything. It's actually the creator and the talent who is like, oh, they've you know, taken decision to train their Violet AI chat and they turn it on. They're the ones creating all the images. We're actually not doing anything. We're providing the tools for them. And there's some creators that you know, they they don't you know, use the AI tools as frequently and more so. They like the just the user experience, the subscription tiers, and there's somewhere like they're just cranking out those images and I am like, and we're going to play with it, like literally right now. But I will say, like, I am really excited about my AI Lori because it does feel like enough separation that like I could kind of see how people are interacting with Ai Lori, what they're saying. I think that could be really interesting as long as I had like the quality control and the ability to have to understand you know, well that's not what I would say, or that is what I would say, or train it more and more to kind of be like me. I think it's such an interesting you know, we are entering this world where I guess, like these relationships, the lines between reality are just blurring a bit, and it's interesting to watch what people are attracted to and also what kind of guardrails and how you build that in a way that's safe for both parties.
Speaker 4: I mean that's what we have.
Speaker 3: Of course, like all of the moderation, there's nothing on the platform we can't see, like, no one can go in and try to make like, you know, AI images that aren't of themselves. There's precautions behind the scenes to prevent that. Yeah, you know, we you know, we've kind of thought through a lot of these different scenarios and you know, we'd want to prevent it from you know, being used by bad actors. And those are a lot of conversations had early on with our CTO stuff in who's like in there and making sure like, okay, this is safe, Like no one can upload, you know, an image that would be against our terms of service, or try to upload an image that's not of them right, And that's where you know, we've put a lot of these you know, thanks to AI, you have a lot of PreCheck of content, so we see everything's pre check before it's published. And that actually is the same with our own AI images too, so they're even reviewed per our moderation guidelines before that they're published on Violet.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I feel like we should play with violence.
Speaker 4: We'll have some fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So now I'm on here we are.
Speaker 1: The best thing is like it gave me a usernameed ass it like suggested it and I was like, I love this user name so much.
Speaker 2: It's shadow avalanche Lore.
Speaker 4: Badass.
Speaker 2: We love it.
Speaker 1: Going back to my MySpace day for some reason, I'm like, wow, like some emo Shadow Avalanche Lore, and so that's me on Violet Shadow Avalanche Lore. I think I might have to change my tagline.
Speaker 2: I need to.
Speaker 1: You have to help me get like more creator friendly, maybe because like I think I'm.
Speaker 2: Too like in my head, Yeah, I just feel like a fun bio.
Speaker 1: I was curiosity, empathy, and agency.
Speaker 4: I think I think it can be a little cooler, but scriptures are good. But yeah, like now that I hear.
Speaker 1: It, I'm like, this is so princh reorthly, like clearly, clearly, this is my first time on here.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm gonna change that.
Speaker 1: But then I go to so if I go to you know, messaging, messaging, okay, start training, so unlock your AI chat for your friends.
Speaker 2: Okay. So then it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna go into the Violet A. It's gonna ask you a few questions.
Speaker 1: You know, nothing would make me happier than to make AI Laurie available for people who listen to this so they can hang out with her.
Speaker 2: Okay, it says, I'm Violet. Nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: I'm here to help you set up your persona a profile, and I want to get to know the real you. Can you tell me a bit about yourself whatever feels important or interesting to share, So any advice, I'm like, I like, you're a reporter, I'm a focused on tech.
Speaker 2: I'm tech journalists all right York.
Speaker 1: But I probably shouldn't mention I have a pet ax A Lottle. I think child and a child?
Speaker 2: Is that not?
Speaker 4: Aren't they both your children?
Speaker 2: That's true, it's true, it's true.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, Butter, that's your first Butter's my ax A Lottle who lives in New York. Uh runs mostly human media.
Speaker 2: I have a pet ax A Lottle. Are you dying? And how I'm training? Like AI?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm sitting here kind of training my AI. But I find that it's like asking me kind of go a little bit more specific and to kind of reveal other things. So how is this different than training like than chet youbet or clod or some of these other models and how they train?
Speaker 3: So this is really meant to actually get to know you in a way that then it can represent you to other people. Which is you know, again a personal chat, diving a little bit deeper than you know you might elsewhere, but also in a way that's also training on your tone of voice. You can put in emojis you use, and then under settings you're able to further customize everything.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Cool, if you're like, oh, I'm personally I'm very optimistic, so I have that one slid all the way up, or you can say like oh, undertone of voice, you might be more formal, you might be long. You know, you may chat longer, shorter. So we really give a lot of customization options to creators to be able to be like, okay, this is how I chat, or like I want to just tweak it a little bit more. Yeah, and as you're using it, it just continues to get to know you, like, yeah.
Speaker 4: That's really it.
Speaker 3: Like I put on mine, I added a bunch of emojis that I use when I text my friends. Cool, and it feels much more personal. Okay, So I'm sixty percent training trained. I can come back to training even come you can return to your your training.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then can I can we look at my AI twin.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we can generate an image so what happens when it's trained is that then it's known Violet AI knows who you are. It has like your digital image stored, So then you're able to go to create a post and then you're able to generate an AI image.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, So first of all, let me show you my AI twin.
Speaker 1: I just I mean, I mean, she's beautiful, she's stuns like, I feel like I really want to do what my AI twin is doing to take care of herself.
Speaker 2: To be honest, she's like, it's just like kind of a bit of an elevated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's IM saying. It's just like, oh, it's like a bit more. It's like a little for.
Speaker 1: Me before the wedding, you know, it was like me when I had taken care of my I mean, you look right now, you know.
Speaker 2: So now I go back and now if I want to create my first post, I go to a new post.
Speaker 4: Then you can do.
Speaker 1: Generate AI twin emmt okay, oh wow, describe your vision so far, I've done like a very poor job of being a creator on here.
Speaker 4: So well, that's where the presots come in.
Speaker 3: So then you can kind of like you know, feel it out, be like Oh do I want.
Speaker 4: To be on a rooftop?
Speaker 1: I want to be on a b Yeah, I want to be in the forest. Oh okay, So it's giving me options.
Speaker 2: This is great.
Speaker 1: So it says, describe your vision, tell us what you want to see, so your mood, outfit, anything like that. So I'm going to say in a lush forest. It gives me the options of sexy, classy, edgy, dreamy, dark, oh, luxurious.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll be luxurious, I mean forest like does that okay? Oh? Okay, luxurious outfit? Oh so I could.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to put myself in laundry on this one. I feel like I just feel like all of us aren't there yet.
Speaker 4: It'll be for the subscription, dear, for the subscription.
Speaker 2: That's for Charlie's college.
Speaker 4: Fun.
Speaker 2: Let's do glam. This is so fun. Okay, enhancing my prompt.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can see it's much more detailed. Or if you wanted to add in, like, oh I want to wear a.
Speaker 1: Red or okay, elegant and shimmering gown forest twilight. Oh it's not golden light, opulent moss covered stones, rich velvet, fabric, dreamy, romantic, sign me up.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So now I generate it for seven credits.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, go ahead, and her gouge.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a little low cut for me, Amy, it's a little literally, they're.
Speaker 2: Like not making like contact.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh yeah, I mean she looks good.
Speaker 4: She's she's she's.
Speaker 1: In a gown in a forest, and she has a great brawl on whatever's making them.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is so fun. Yeah, so you can knowing? Okay, So now what do I do with this?
Speaker 4: So you can share it as a post?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it says I can start over create a post. Oh my god, do I want to put this?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: Why not? Oh my god, Amy, look at you helping me stretch.
Speaker 4: Look by the way, it's next.
Speaker 1: To my profile photo with like me and a shirt that's like basically up to my neck and shoulder pads.
Speaker 2: Just fyi. Okay, but it's not real, So here we go next.
Speaker 3: That's also another point, you know, it's kind of being a little bit more adventurous, and you might be than how you may dress every day.
Speaker 1: I feel like this one's more the girlfriend experience kind of, you know, she's not like, yeah, okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Oh, so here's my caption. I it's so bad at this. I was literally was gonna say, like my first time, and I know that's not what I've read.
Speaker 4: Dreamy Walk, Dreamy, dreamy Walk.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to start like sending these to my husband.
Speaker 4: What are you doing another day for him?
Speaker 2: Dream?
Speaker 1: I know, another day in the office, out of the office, and the nope, let's not try to be cheeky, all right, and now I can select my tear.
Speaker 2: Seems as though we should let this out. I'm not ready for premium. Yeah, okay, dreamy Walk. Okay, oh my god, Okay, here we go. She's live, she is live, she looks good. That was fun. I have to that was fun, and I would never put that out.
Speaker 3: It's also it's probably not something normally where it's kind of that exciting thing of like, oh what could I look like in this?
Speaker 1: And it's also to your point, this is not something I would put on Instagram or like or fit. You know, this is like it feels like a little bit different over here, which I kind of like, it's a different fact we're creative.
Speaker 4: It just kind of lets you express yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I think is so interesting about this is it just feels it feels different than some things I've seen, because it does feel like we are entering a world where there's AI slop and there's just you don't know what's real and what's not, and you know, you there's an inevitability of AI and social media, but it feels like things have gotten really crowded and really busy and we're not sure where the incentives are and we're not sure what's behind it. So it certainly is interesting to see what could the space open up to, what are new opportunities in the chaos?
Speaker 4: So I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: And it's also just the transparency of knowing, like because this AI or not? Yeah, And ultimately like people don't care, they just want to know.
Speaker 1: Well, but it is interesting, Like I guess my question when we started out even with this podcast, was like, are people going to care if it's AI? Like, are people going to want to interact with, you know, with an AI version of someone in? The answer I think is resounding yes. And I guess the question is how do you build guardrails around that? And what are the ethical ways to do that? And for you, it sounds like so much of that comes down to consent and transparency.
Speaker 3: Absolutely consent, transparency and control for a creator around their image, how they use it. They have full you know, audience over how how do I want to create AI? How do I want to show up digitally? So there's nothing that's not happening. If they don't like the image, then they delete it or they generate a new one.
Speaker 1: So give me advice on how I can make money on Violet with how my AI Lori can go to work and make money on Violet.
Speaker 3: Well, let's get training and training your AI chat. We're gonna we're going to populate your profile and then we'll set up some subscription tires and then people can jump onto Violet, they can chat with AI Lori and they can see some of your content.
Speaker 4: Real or AI. The h might not be might not be out there for everyone.
Speaker 1: And I guess we also have to change my tagline from curiosity yeah agency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll help me come up with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the real life of Lori.
Speaker 1: And so what do you think, because you have spent so much time in the creator space, what's the next cultural shift that you see coming?
Speaker 3: I mean, Violet will be and really it's like there needs to be a refresh in how people are using platforms, and a lot of times that's what you know, all of these public affairs conversations are leading to like what are people seeing? You know, you look at youth and adult spaces colliding online, which is, you know, what's happening on every major social platform, whereas we, you know, took youth out of that equation and we are fully you know, in a adult social media platform, and that's never been in the vernacular before. It's been more like, oh, is it a creator platform, is it something spicy?
Speaker 4: What does adult actually mean? And that's again going.
Speaker 3: Back to like, oh, this is where the HBO of social media analogy comes in because we find people understand what that means. It's something for the mass market, a broader audience, but with boundaries and guard rails.
Speaker 1: Why does this work personal to you?
Speaker 3: You know, it's kind of exciting to just create something new that hasn't been done, hasn't been out there. I can't say like, oh, this is a space I thought I was going to go back into or something I was like, you know, dreaming up for years and years, but it really happened very organically with my co founder Kaylee and just through our own conversations, and now it's just this true passion of like, wait, there needs to be something different out there and or a platform led by women.
Speaker 4: We stand for something.
Speaker 3: We're all about trans parency, putting all of our users in community first. And we've spent so much time on the foundation of the platform in terms of the safety features. You know, who are we using for age verification, how are we going to moderate the content, how do we prevent these bad actors.
Speaker 4: From getting in?
Speaker 3: And you know, there's nothing that you know, we haven't thought about, you know, and that's just not you don't really hear about that in businesses these days. It's like, oh, how do we you know, make the quick dollar? How do we do this? It's like we actually focused on the infrastructure, the business model. Then we're like, okay, of course we're going to have the monetization features, but going further, like you know, we can have advertising in the future. We can you know, do different things and operate in a different way that just platforms haven't done before.
Speaker 2: When you say we stand for something, what do you stand for?
Speaker 3: We stand for being a safe, inclusive community online really where anyone can be their authentic self without feeling like the.
Speaker 4: Pressures, the trolls, the.
Speaker 3: You know, just the anxieties you're getting on other platforms. That's what we don't want. We want someone to come to Violet and be like, oh, this is cool. This is where I can post this which I don't feel comfortable sharing elsewhere.
Speaker 1: So last question, where do you see Violet Like five years from now, what does the future of this platform look like?
Speaker 3: Violet's going to be used by everyone? You know, we see this platform just kind of taking over in terms of being used more internationally. You know, you look at the conversations around social media, and that's where we feel like, again we are on the forefront of something that you know, we're thinking in a way that other businesses and platforms aren't thinking, where this is really much more about community, social engagement, and then we're providing the tools for those who want to be able to monetize. So that's where we just see this like really spreading and taking over.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Well, you can find both me and Amy on a Violet.
Speaker 1: I do answer all my messages all there, and she answers all of her messages if you have any feedback.
Speaker 2: So awesome, Thank you so much, Thank you so much fun,