Speaker 1: Episode four hundred, sixth anniversary special. Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live at your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 2: The husbands are back.
Speaker 1: Oh is it back in town? Oh we're gonna now, we're gonna get licensing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, time we wait four years to have you back. We're gonna get sued.
Speaker 1: First thing is a season ditiss.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast.
Speaker 1: My name is Jen, my.
Speaker 3: Name is Jill.
Speaker 1: Travis and Eric.
Speaker 2: And the husbands are back. As you can see, they've been preparing for this for four years. For episode four hundred, Baby, we made it.
Speaker 3: Four hundred means six years.
Speaker 2: It's a party. If you're hoping to get any financial advice in this episode, you will get a little, but mostly you're gonna get all the things you asked for in the friend letter. We did a poll. We said what do you want to hear on episode four hundred, and you delivered. You wanted to hear the husbands, that's the number one thing you wanted to hear. You wanted to hear the one star reviews. You wanted to hear the Q and a's the behind the scenes, and so.
Speaker 4: We're giving it all to you.
Speaker 3: No one voted for the something else. Hardly anybody says something else.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad you loved the suggestions we gave you and didn't suggest anything with something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, but before we get into the fun, this episode is brought to you by shilling for money. What we've been doing since episode one, four hundred episodes. Literally here just shilling for the money. And you know what, when you have as much money as we do because of four hundred podcast episodes, then you're gonna have it in a four oh one K. And maybe if you ever leave your job where you're shilling for money, you're gonna want to roll that over into an IRA. And that's where Capitalize comes in. Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash capitalize. It's a free service that will find your four oh one K and help you roll it into an IRA of your choice so you can have control over your money. Because when you're shilling for money, like the Frugal Friends, you want to know where all of yours is. Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash capitalize.
Speaker 3: Well done, gen thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh quick question on that for the listeners. What is shilling?
Speaker 2: Shilling?
Speaker 1: Is this a new bill of the week?
Speaker 2: Shilling? I don't have an exact definition for it, but it is something we say behind the scenes a lot.
Speaker 3: Usually we're shilling for Minty. They're the ones who want the most work from us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they want the most for it.
Speaker 3: But here's the retraction I have on your fake, fake real ad is we've not been shilling since day one. We should have been, yeah, but we didn't start trying to shill until like two years ago, maybe a year and a half ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never saw you.
Speaker 2: Here's the definition. It's to talk about or describe someone or something in a favorable way because you're being paid to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh, the whole ad makes so much sense. And I'm going to purchase Capitalize you don't, I will purchase three. I'm going to buy it anyway. I'm going to do the premium version.
Speaker 2: Faith, thank you. All right. So in this episode, we are going to do a variety of things. We are first and foremost, we're answering your questions. We put out an Instagram request if you follow Frugal Friends podcast or Modern Frugality, then if not, you should do that because we do stuff like this asking for your questions so we can read them on an episode. So we're going to do that, and then Goldie has found some one star reviews for us to read that are some of the highlights of our time here, and and we'll also be reading those in between some questions. But the husbands are going to be doing the interviewing.
Speaker 3: They're gonna be asking the questions.
Speaker 4: Friend.
Speaker 3: For why we're saying we're bringing the husbands back. We did do an interview with you all years ago. That is up on YouTube. We do have a YouTube channel. Feel free to check that out. But we've done other anniversary specials. If you like this one, you can go back to episode three oh three, which was our fifth anniversary special. Episode two oh seven is what we learned in four years of Frugal Friends. So here we are six years later. We'll see if we'll be here for your seven Who knows, it's always up in the air.
Speaker 2: We'll see. We'll see how this episode goes.
Speaker 3: But let's get to the queues, all right.
Speaker 2: Travis, you are up first.
Speaker 4: All right, So looks like my question for you guys is do you guys have a lot in common Jen and Joe, Mmm, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I so, I think that we have a lot in common, but there's also a lot that we don't have in common. We're not identical for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to say almost nothing. But that's a little unfair. Because we both are females, and we both live in Saint Petersburg and we both are growing together.
Speaker 1: Then we're didn't always live in the same place.
Speaker 2: If that's together together, Yeah, we're complimentary opposites.
Speaker 3: I think. Yeah, so that we probably couldn't have done this thing if we were the same.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be as good because we'd have the same things to say. I think it's so good because we don't have a ton in common.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we both we work a little differently. We do have somewhat different perspectives, but complimentary perspectives. But to give an example, this did just happen recently. We are in the process of submitting our book to our editor. Again, buy the book from us, please. We're not that good at more often and right now it's constricting.
Speaker 1: I got to eat out more.
Speaker 3: That's Eric, that's my husband. You've heard me talk about how much he loves even make me.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: Anyways, so the book, we said we were going to submit the final version on April fifteenth, Tax Day, and in my mind, I'm thinking, let's get it done. Let's get it off at like ten in the morning and have the rest of the day. But I know Jen and I know that that's probably not going to be realistic. So I'm thinking, EOD five pm will get the book in. And I bring this up to her. I'm like, so what are you thinking about time timing on the fifteenth? She's like, I'm thinking eleven fifty nine pm. That's just before midnight. And while you did submit it a little bit earlier than that, Like, that's that's a little bit of how we work differently.
Speaker 2: I am not a huge procrastinator. We we record a month in advance. Every episode is recorded a month in advance. We like to have a lot of leeway between record and publish. So it's not that I'm a procrastinator. It's for this specific thing, I wanted to have as much time with it as possible. Like every minute it's not with me is a minute wasted. Yeah, but I did get it in at nine pm.
Speaker 1: Well that's early, Yes, that's early, Yes, good work. Yeah, all right, Eric, my question, how do you convert a non frugal spouse from a family who throws money at all problems, at problems? I add it all it's just problems at problems, just some problems, but most problems, most problems.
Speaker 3: Jill, Yeah, I think Eric should answer question what do.
Speaker 1: You think and we don't throw money at anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Stop throwing money.
Speaker 1: I want to throw some money.
Speaker 3: Okay. So there's multiple questions in this or I think, multiple ways to look at, but I'm going to go. I'm going to go for the first part if you have something to say about the second part that how do you convert a non frugal spouse? Is what I'm focusing in on. I'm a pretty big proponent and becoming more and more so of really honoring the people around you and letting them be who they are, but recognizing that with a spouse, you do impact one another and you in many ways share so much. So that's where I think the tricky dance comes in. But I think wherever we can place value on one another's values can be really helpful. So being able to get under the root of the money, because it's usually not the money. It's usually not about what money's being spent on, it's what it means underneath it and whether or not you're actually valuing that. So I think having a conversation before the money can be really helpful of what do you really value spending on or what do you really value saving? Four? What do you want to see in the next year, in the next five years, And then weave the money solutions into it with some real math. But I think we got to get more heart to heart first.
Speaker 2: Agreed. It's not about converting someone as much it is as it is getting on the same page as values, not monetary values, but the things money can't buy. So, how you want to show up for your family, in your friendships, in your fulfilling work, whatever that looks like, and in your faith? How does that look for you? How do you want to show up in all those categories? And when you figure that out and you can get on the same page, or at least know where your partner is what page they're on, then it becomes a lot easier to get creative with how you solve problems. Then you both are motivated to solve problems in a different way so that you can get more of what each of you want individually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that just using money to solve a problem is something we all face. Sometimes convenience is just easier. But if you're noticing this is all we'rever doing, I think it's worth slowing down having those conversations, figuring out how you can solve the problems, create, natively, collaborate and have fun with it. Like I think that's the thing that has kept us doing this for six years is it's fun. And I don't think that we're going to get very far with our partners and our families and really getting a hold on money if we can't also find ways to make it fun. Not saying it can't be difficult. There's not hard conversations that happen, but let's weave in some fun to it, otherwise we're going to be completely averse to it.
Speaker 1: Not saying that you'll go out to eat that often, but.
Speaker 3: Can you tell that is the spouse who wants to spend so much money on going out to.
Speaker 1: Eat realistic amount of money.
Speaker 2: Here's a fun behind the scenes. The other day we were talking and Jill when she started, when she became full time and frugal friends and like, I was full time for maybe like a year and a half at this point, and then Jill came on and she took over the money part. Because I might be the like, the financial like writer, but the business finances were totally like. I did not care about them. I did not look at them. I knew we were not spending a ton of money, so I just let it be like we were profitable, and I just let it be so when I was handling the money, we could afford things like sushi and trips to Mexico. And then Jill takes over and suddenly we can't afford those things, and it was so upsetting. Eric. Eric commiserated with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she controls both of our lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my work wife and my husband husband both can commiserate over my miserly ways.
Speaker 1: It's good, It is good.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get in to some one star reviews.
Speaker 3: We can.
Speaker 2: Who wants to read them?
Speaker 3: I really want Eric and Travis to read them.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm excited, all right, Okay, Oh, oh I'm getting it. Oh that's the title. Okay, yeah, you should read that one, all right, you can read these alight? So the title, yep, that's the title.
Speaker 6: It's so good.
Speaker 4: All right, So the first one star review title is nonsense. Listen to a forty minute podcast, and I'm not sure anything was actually said.
Speaker 2: That's the reviewer and the reviewer.
Speaker 4: Do I say that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, we call them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tra address, we'd probably read it.
Speaker 4: The twenty xx Okay, wow, we tried.
Speaker 1: You deserve that one. Thank you for the free content that they will say.
Speaker 3: For what it's worth. The twenty xx thanks for listening all the way through forty minutes. Thanks for listening for you did earn the right to leave her review?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, true, that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really wish that reviewers had to listen to at least three full episodes before you could review. But thank you twenty x X for your forty minute download.
Speaker 2: That's more than most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he gave it a shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, Eric, what's the next one?
Speaker 1: I almost wish I wasn't reading this because it's so infuriated.
Speaker 3: Oh you're gonna have to scroll over.
Speaker 1: Oh true, too much. Valley girl talk. That's a that's been since day one of Frugal Friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a couple of those, and we just picked the best one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so my take is every every girl clearly just sounds like a valley girl. Two guys is kind of how that one goes. But yeah, here's the review. I want to like this, listen to a good number, but all the valley girl isms makes me cringe. Make me cringe too many. As an up talk, they make it seem like the hosts don't know what they're talking about. Mango the Goat may.
Speaker 2: Again, thanks for listening to a good number. We appreciate that. And I'm sorry we speak like females.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's it's honestly gross.
Speaker 2: I don't know the past week. You might tell in the next like six to eight episodes. We're recording like seven episodes this week and I'm just getting over cold, so I sound like a smoker, Like course smoker.
Speaker 1: I don't listen because they just sound like smokers.
Speaker 2: So you might have a different take in the next couple episodes.
Speaker 1: Yep, leave your own review. Next one, you got this Travis.
Speaker 4: All right, like a PSL. PSL. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: This is not pos spice latte.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh wow, I thought I thought people they do, but it.
Speaker 4: So here's the review. Uh lost my interest felt more and more like the same thing over and over, more like p s L. Not very minimalist if you ask me, Wait.
Speaker 1: What because of how much you talk, you're not minimalists.
Speaker 4: Uh, beautiful minimal millennial.
Speaker 1: Nice self aware that they call themselves beautiful. That's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love pumpkin spice lattes. And you know what, it's a complex syrup. And I'm a complex.
Speaker 3: Woman, which is funny because back to that question, are we similar? I do not like pumpkin spice lattes. I don't like Target, I don't like Starbucks. There are some very basic things I have beings. But that's okay. This person just did like it. Yeah, they don't. They don't think we're very minimal Actually.
Speaker 1: They sound more like Jill because they don't. You know, they get tired of this Jill.
Speaker 3: Chilling as a beautiful minimal millennial on the side, just trying to tear down what we're building over here.
Speaker 2: For a while, you had not left a review for the show. It took you years.
Speaker 3: I didn't think I could. I didn't think I was allowed because I owned the business.
Speaker 2: It was the first five star review for our show, and that first time it was review it wasn't And I took the phones of all of my friends and this was obviously when you could still take your friend's phones and it's fine. And I left a review for our podcast on like twenty phones in the first year. So that's if you're looking for podcasting tips, stay tuned. That's how you do it.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm over the not very minimalist part yet.
Speaker 3: What does that mean, Like we're not very this year? They don't think we are very minimalist.
Speaker 1: Okay, advice, it's not because they got bored of what you were talking about. That was like a separate thought. But there it's not a new sentence.
Speaker 2: Just for the record, all right, back to some questions, Travis.
Speaker 4: Do you have a favorite episode? I guess that's either one of you.
Speaker 3: Do you Jen Oh?
Speaker 2: I do Ron Gonan The Circular Economy I love. I loved talking to him about how to create and it was on a macro level, how to create a more circular economy. But now on a micro level I think about that more often. And then our episode with gardenery, Yeah, that was an recent one, changed your life. I mean I have not started gardening yet, but it.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: It was such like an eye opening episode about we invest in the things that we value, and the things we don't invest in is not because we can't do them or all the excuses that we may make, it's because we don't value them enough to do them.
Speaker 3: Travis, did Jen come home on a day what two weeks ago and tell you she wanted a garden? Has she talked about this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: She did, Yes, And what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean growing up on a farm, like I'm all down for like growing my own food and stuff like that. But I think the way she explained why it affected her so much was like more beautiful because of how how you look at it, at the gardening process and all that stuff, which is something I really never looked at. So it's it was definitely a different point of view, and I'm all about it. Though, once we're done with the renovations and don't do it now, we're not.
Speaker 3: That's cool. Speaking of how to get a spouse on board, that is a big one. I think books, podcasts, resources that you can share together and have conversations about the thing can really help. When you can bring some sort of third party, third perspective in that you both can engage in and say what you do and don't like about that, and then come to your shared reasoning for something you're making me remember that. That's another tip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jill, oh yeah, so you got some good ones down here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, it said for one, but a few came to mind. So our conversation with Laura old Daney and that was actually at our summit that then we turned into a podcast episode. But she talked about all the different forms of wealth and how social capital and what are the different kinds of capital. I'm blanking now, but lots of different types of ways that we can build wealth, but beyond monetary wealth.
Speaker 2: Like knowledge capital, like sharing knowledge or physical objects, you know, sharing sources, sugar and you know, stuff like that. It's all of the things because money is just a tool to get the things that you really want, right, like both relational and physical.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so she really she taught us about the permaculture kind of way of life or like ideas about permaculture. So that is really great. Look look up our episode with Laurel Dany do some research on permaculture. Yeah, fantastic. That's another one of my favorites as.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I also really liked our initial episode with about Dave Ramsey the Baby Steps. We just re aired it, but when I went back and listened, I really felt like we queued it up the first time the best. So our original episode about the Baby Steps. So who knows how far back that one is.
Speaker 2: I think twenty one or two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should probably link to these.
Speaker 2: I think it's shown January twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: I feel like that was our first, one of our first times really kind of stepping out in our own thoughts that we've now built along this journey, that kind of shoeha re perspective that you've recently introduced Jen of, you know, kind of the student becoming the master, that there are certain resources that can be really helpful when you're just getting out and follow it exactly, but eventually you can make it your own. And I think this was a little bit of our process of making what we've learned our own while not dragging anybody through the mud, but also making our ideas and thoughts clear and really explaining who we are and what you're gonna get from us. So I felt like that one was a good one. We received a lot of really good feedback on that one.
Speaker 2: Which just Nices did a lot of emails. I remember my inbox the original episode after it aired, I had like immediately ten emails in my inbox, and I was so worried what they were going to say. And I got one of my favorite emails I've ever received, and it was so unhinged.
Speaker 1: And sounded like a valley girl.
Speaker 2: It sounded like somebody in some valley. But all the rest were so positive. But I still actually reread that unhinged email just to remember when I feel down, I read that email and I'm like, you know what, at least I'm not sending strangers stuff like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then my last one I'll pick was just happened earlier this year in January, episode three sixty eight was our interview with Paige Pritchard about deinfluencing yourself from social media. And it wasn't this extreme take of get off of social media. It was this very radical middle approach to living in the world we live in today, but with eyes wide open. And I really enjoyed that conversation with her as well.
Speaker 2: And now she's coming to Mexico with us in June.
Speaker 3: That's right from that episode we should clarify Jen and I are going to Mexico for a couple of days. It is a work trip with them using air quotes a.
Speaker 2: Couple other influencers you might recognize.
Speaker 3: But it's partly celebration for having finished the book, and it's partly an opportunity to get some work done. But we had points through the business that was able to cover all of it. So we're still doing our frugal thing.
Speaker 1: Guys under the microsph celeb.
Speaker 2: Oll, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like I need to defend myself, but at the same time, I feel like it's worth knowing some of the things. If we're talking behind the scenes, what we're doing, how we celebrate even as a business is.
Speaker 1: All right, what advice would you give to other entrepreneurs finding their way? I have some advice to oh, well, make more money.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. So I thought about this question, and I think the most important thing that we have done in our business is filling a gap. Personal finance. On one hand, it's super saturated. There's so many people in the personal finance space. On the other hand, there will never be enough people in personal finance until everybody is comfortable talking about money will never be enough personal finance influencers. And so where do we find that radical middle? Where do you find your radical middle is in filling a gap. So like only you can say what you have to say to whom you have to say it to, and how you say it or show it. So find what makes you unique, how you share information uniquely, and just don't do the same thing everybody else is doing just because it worked for them. I think I all of my regrets in business have been because I tried to copy what was working for somebody else. And the best things that I've ever done in my business have been when I am true fully to what makes me come alive. So really fill a gap, fill a need. Even if your niche is saturated, there is a place for you, but you have to be unique in that place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say similar to what you are describing jen, filling in a gap. I think definitely niching down as much as possible. I think we can feel as though I'm getting too granular. I need to offer all these things to all these people. But I think really figuring out who is your one person, your very target demographic, the person that is going to really excite you to support and help them with their specific problems. Then do that. There will be enough people. There are millions and millions and millions of people, and no matter how small you niche down, just remember there's tons of people into model trains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's tons of lots of people.
Speaker 3: There are people who go to conventions where they try out different types of laughter. There are people who go to conventions to build puzzles as teams. Like, there's just something all there's all sorts of stuff. There's so much space for you.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people in the world. You hear a number like whatever it is, seven to eight billion, and it just doesn't land. Yeah, it's a lot of people that.
Speaker 3: Like things we don't know math. I'd also say start start gritty, meaning you don't have to put as much money into starting up your businesses. Everybody tells you that you need to, especially one that is mostly software or online, Try and do the thing with as little as possible, and then discover what it is that you need. Don't buy all of these things. I think I see a lot of people procrest to spending on their businesses thinking that once I have all these things, then I'm going to feel confident enough I'm not going to have imposter syndrome, and then I'm going to be ready. And I think it works the ups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just have to ten thousand dollars in courses to figure out how to do a business.
Speaker 3: Just start because the first thing you do is never going to actually be the thing you meked up with. We've rebranded, we've taken new pictures, We've.
Speaker 2: I was a writer. I mean, I mean I've returned to that, but I mean I was a writer blogger first. So yeah, what you do first, Just assume it's not going to be your endgame.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, just find a gen. You know, easy, peasy, go, Just find yourself a gen. Be sure, absolutely sure that you want to leave your day job, Jill. Still make money before you think you can. That was a big mistake I think we made was waiting so long to try and be profitable. We could have been profitable so much sooner, and we discounted ourselves in that. And I think we're still hurting as as a result of not not doing certain things sooner. So that's again, that's another I think that's where imposter syndrome breaks into the equation. Just start doing it, start charging for it, and refine as you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and provide value to anybody that you come in contact that is interested in your services.
Speaker 5: Don't.
Speaker 1: You don't have to do the service, but provide some kind of value to that person coming to you.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, last question and then another round of one star reviews.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, what is the most memorable bill of the week for you guys?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: I have one go for it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I got an email from a listener who and you know, we got We are backed up four to six months on bill of the weeks always, so if you don't hear yours, just know it's coming. We play one hundred percent of them, but it takes time. And so I got an email from a listener who asked if we could bump up her bill of the week. Her bill of the week was her dad, Bill, who was about to pass away, and she wanted him to hear it before he went. He wanted to, she wanted to play him the episode, and so we did bump that up. But as me, I lost my dad when I was sixteen, so for me, that was an honor to be considered important enough in her life in that moment, but also like truly memorable that she would honor her father. It like we could play a part in her honoring her father. So that was the most memorable bill for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good memory. That was super meaningful. There's there's a slew of them. One of the more recent ones was when Goldie called in her which was so amazing. We didn't realize it. So because we don't listen to the bills of the week ahead of time, we let the bills surprise us. We love a good bill.
Speaker 2: Delighted.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Goldie, our podcast manager, who's so much more than a podcast manager, called in and shared her bill, and that was amazing. I've loved it when people have had kids call in, because so many of you are out there listening in the car with your kids and they're wanting to hear the frugal friends and call in their bills, and yeah, those are all fun and then just the funny ones. You all have given us some really good ones, but those are the ones that are standing out at the moment. All right, let's get back to these one star reviews, because I there was a time and I do still have top three. I still hate them, but this is such a safe space and it is so good to laugh at them because here we are, six years later, we're reading one star review.
Speaker 2: We should we should have said this is a countdown of the top six. So this is like three, two one. Okay, okay, okay, yeah, sorry.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: All right, this is long.
Speaker 2: Yeah you got the long ones.
Speaker 1: I don't read a lot frivolous stupidity coming in at number three. That's not even number one. Started listening to a few podcasts trying to find one with content dot dot dot settled into the episode on the Kanmari Method and was floored at how vapid this five four star podcast. I'm sorry, it's not a five star podcast. Now we are a four star podcast through and through if a full twelve minutes into the podcast before they actually started talking about the book, only for one of them to confess she hadn't read it. That was Jill, wasn't it. Oh yeah it was Joe, Yeah it was Jill.
Speaker 3: I don't read.
Speaker 1: What the hey question mark exclamation point? Great research from experts. Along the way, there was a lot of dumb giggling and nothing narrate narrated narrated, narrated, near narrated, narrated with irritating valley girl accent and intonation. Fix this, frugal, friends, I had that fixed this part immediately, cold, cold, cold cold. C U l ed this from my library, immediately cold. This from my library.
Speaker 2: Is that like pooled and they yeah, they did.
Speaker 1: That's entype.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not done yet better.
Speaker 1: My attention span is like real short. If you're trying to be frugal, value your time and don't waste it on poorly researched, irritatingly, irritatingly narrated, dumb, low bite rate meme podcast boom grow. Say this in person to our faces. I'm sure as well spoken as this. I note that many of the reviews the reviews say wait. I note that many of the reviews say this hilarious. Okay, that's why I couldn't read it. It's not a full sentence. Uh maybe if you gut her, if you like gutter humor, Okay, let me read that again, because this is a good line. I note that many of the reviews say this hilarious dot dot dot. Maybe dot dot dot if you like gutter humor, like you, guys, your minds are just in the gutter. Yeah, all that wine talk.
Speaker 3: She's dragging everybody. She's not just giving us the one this Yeah, this is before Goldie.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but absolutely nothing in here regarding the reason you actually started listening, because.
Speaker 3: And who wrote it? Who wrote it? Here we go call it.
Speaker 1: I'm saying she can be anybody, maybe anybody Kiwi forty two spelled how it says?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, we do have gutterr humor, and we try to keep it off of the podcast, but sometimes it does slip through. So Kiwi, you're not wrong. But how dare you say it's low bite rate?
Speaker 1: Because we we recorded forty eight kill hertz. Yeah this is with high end equipment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, high end equipment. This audio is flawless.
Speaker 3: She did call us experts, though, and that bad or. She thought that we were trying to portray ourselves as experts, and that's the expectation is off. It's so true, And it was me, Hi, I'm the problem. I am the one who said I didn't I didn't read the book. I don't think it was important for the podcast. We weren't talking about our reviews of the book. We were talking about the method.
Speaker 2: The podcast was I who read the book and Jill who didn't, and like coming together on like a radical middle of the Kanmari method. That was the point of the episode.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we saw the Netflix special, which I like, I saw the movies and people like, no, you need to read the book or you don't really get it.
Speaker 3: But this was very early on. That's one of our oldest one star reviews like that. That KonMari Method episode was possibly in like the tens or twenties episodes, very early.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, in the first two years for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go, next one.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, all right, so all right, nope, that's the title. That's the title. Nope, all right. The review is their robotic, sore throat sounding voices are so annoying. And I don't know, sex sexy sexy but with a C sexy sexy two is it kegs side to either?
Speaker 2: But I always read it as sexy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's sexy.
Speaker 4: I mean that that would make sense.
Speaker 3: This is kind of endearing having our husbands read our one star reviews or something the podcast about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it's not Valley Girl, you know, is unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe this was a more recent one after you fix the value.
Speaker 2: I really I love the title is just nope, nope, all right, Eric, this is number one. This is our number one one star review. It's our favorite voting number one. We voted at number one one. This is it email she's talking.
Speaker 1: No, No, okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna read.
Speaker 2: About the same episode though.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think this is the one where I clicked on the user because this was like a long time ago, right, I think I clicked on the user and that they had done like three reviews ever, and the other reviews were on like first person shooter video games and then the rugal.
Speaker 3: It wasn't this, No, it wasn't no. The one that they gave us a review on was just about our voices. It wasn't this long. But it is interesting when you can look up the different reviewers and what else they've reviewed and the podcast.
Speaker 1: This is from Timmy, who is apparently quick math fifty something years old, maybe sixties, nineteen sixty eight. You do the math. I've never heard so much.
Speaker 3: Wait what's the title?
Speaker 1: Oh, sorry, nauseating. I've never heard so much much passive aggressiveness in a podcast. I do Dave Ramsey. I do a Ramsey hybrid with the money guys. These two are sickening. I'm sure the money guys want their name thrown into this review too. The constant reference to Ramsey as an elderly white man he's sixty three, oh, which goes into the name of this guy in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 2: He feels personally attached because he's younger than Dave Ramsey.
Speaker 1: Yep, these two really offer next to nothing as far as any insightful information for personal finance planning. They've They've obviously been shunned by most of the financial community, and the constant dings about guilt and shame are exhausting. Not sure who follows these two chicks. Oh, I'm done, but most episodes are a waste of time. Listen to me, Well, I really do love this one.
Speaker 2: I love it because, yeah, we don't offer insight full information for financial planning, but also we have not been shunned by any of the financial community.
Speaker 1: Including Ramsey themselves. Oh all right, well we got we got, we cod out of the deal. Timmy, Timmy, like, I'm a nice guy, You're not passive?
Speaker 2: Aggressive is something that we are never we are full frontal aggressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We are never passive in our aggression.
Speaker 1: It happens in my house all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To me, we are aggression.
Speaker 3: And I'm never gonna apologize for going against guilt and shame culture. I think that's a great one if you want to find the opposite of guilt and shame. Timmy's saying come here, because we often say that we don't like it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think my biggest regret on this podcast is one time saying, bring to Dave Ramsey is an elderly white man. It is a It is a phrase, and I have said once in four hundred episodes and has haunted me since I said it.
Speaker 3: It's interesting though that that would be offensive because I'm because I'm just backed.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't say elderly. I think I said, like, he's an old white guy.
Speaker 1: When I'm sixty three, I will call myself an old white guy.
Speaker 2: I'm thirty four and I say I'm so old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like yeah, but mostly tired. We're mostly tired.
Speaker 2: But I still say I look at younger people and I'm like, man, I'm old. So like when I'm sixty, I am gonna say I can't do that. I'm old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a little advice for Timmy. Just find podcasts you like, like Dave Ramsey's podcasts and The Money Guys and The Money Guys.
Speaker 2: If you like the Money Guys, We're gonna have Brian Preston on very soon also, so we love the Money Guys.
Speaker 1: Ramsey's not gonna be super stoked about your little hybrid situation between him and the Money Guys. Talk to him about that. Hey, yeah, I'm that's not good. Yeah, anything electric.
Speaker 3: He hates it. Do you know what keeps us going despite the fact that we feel old and tired for four hundred episodes. The fuel to our fire, it's the wind beneath our wings.
Speaker 1: It's the.
Speaker 3: Week.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: It's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is Williams.
Speaker 1: Maybe you paid off your mortgage.
Speaker 5: Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Dust bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Clinton, This is the bill.
Speaker 4: Of the week.
Speaker 6: Hey ladies, I just wanted to call in to give you guys my bill of the week. Obviously I'm sick, but I went to the local drugs store we have here and they had this amazing deal on some medicine, so I went in. It was Bogo, buy one, get one for the same price, So of course I bought half a dozen musin x off brand. Of course I didn't want to pay this same thing for the name brand, which has the same ingredients. I didn't save any money, but I felt like.
Speaker 4: I did, and that's all that matters, right, I feel like you anyways.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just want to share that, thanks guys. Hey for friends.
Speaker 1: My bill of the week is that I don't have to think about bills too often. And that's not because I have a lot of money. It's because over the last six or seven years, my wife has become obsessed with personal finance. It's kind of a problem, but I don't address it because I don't have to think of about bills.
Speaker 6: Thanks Jill.
Speaker 1: I also want to say congrats to Jen and Jill on four hundred episodes. I know how hard you guys work. It's just incredible what you have built in six years now. And yeah, congrats, I love you guys. This is awkward, Oh my, how did this happen?
Speaker 3: Those were Travis and Eric's voices, just to fill in the gap that was going to happen.
Speaker 1: We had to hard it is to find a time to go record a secret message away from your wife.
Speaker 4: It is extremely hard, definitely when you have kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without kids, where did you?
Speaker 2: How when? Where?
Speaker 6: It was?
Speaker 4: Pretty recently you forget to go just if you shout out to Goldie.
Speaker 1: Goldie reached out to both of us and asked us if we wanted to do something. And she's the best. So you should seeil space that they're both about to cry. Gonna cry.
Speaker 2: Warm. I am so warm.
Speaker 3: I'm spreading a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's because then I have it pretty warm in here.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Well, thank you guys. Yeah, bag your bills.
Speaker 3: That's a memorable bill right there, too, expensive one and a double bill. We lived double up.
Speaker 2: We love a double Were.
Speaker 3: You guys on the same phone call or you just combined the audio Eric because you know how.
Speaker 1: To speak pipe just like everybody.
Speaker 3: Else, and then you combined the audio and did it?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: All go.
Speaker 3: Good. This is a new song we're making on.
Speaker 2: Where you can never place the bill of the week song with this new Goldie song.
Speaker 3: Wow, you guys a lot of amazing bills. I don't even know how to respond. Every pure and utter shock. If you all are listening and you want to just shock and surprise us with a double bill with a bill from one of your husbands, that'd be great. Yeah, truglefriendspodcast dot com slash bill, leave us your bill. We are ready for it, and now it's time for the lightning around show. Okay, your hopes and dreams of keeping this a short episode have been demolished, for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure. What's the best thing you've heard from somebody about Frugal Friends. I couldn't nail down just one, but there have been so many, I think specifically in our Facebook group, the Frugal Friends community, there have been so many times where people have said these episodes have changed their life, have changed the way they function.
Speaker 1: And also people that say things like Nope.
Speaker 2: No, yeah right, I just I am eternally grateful like this one. The Frugal Friends podcast was my primary motivator to get my finances in order, Like I just take screenshots of so many of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I often forget that there are people who listen who it is making an impact, Like we often put these episodes out and I am never on Instagram, so I'm not the one reading the messages. It's like only when Jen thinks to pass along an email or a message that I hear that our episodes are making an impact. Although I see the downloads, which we're at six years and we're over six million downloads. We kind of are a million a year at this point, tracking.
Speaker 1: Last year basically or something like that.
Speaker 3: But I think the things that stick the most to me is when people say that it feels so relatable and down to earth and approachable and fun, and it feels like you're just listening to friends. And I think there's nothing more that I would want out of this type of platform, an opportunity to put out a podcast that is helpful and fun to listen to. I think when people say that we're doing the thing we're aimed at doing. We want to be frugal friends and we want to be fun, and people are saying, yes, you're frugal and helpful with finances, Yes you are a friend to me, and it feels like I'm listening to friends and yes, it's fun. Is everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just going back through all these screenshots I've made, Like one girl said, we like her low key obsession with frugal friends help them pay off twenty four thousand dollars. Another one said they backed out of a house deal because it was going to cost them forty grand to buy out a solar lease and they realized it was just not something they valued, Like thanks to listening to the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing, thanks for Yeah. Sorry, we highlighted the one star review so much, but we do highlight our five star reviews and every other episode and know that you all are the are the true ones that keep us going in the midst of these one star reviews.
Speaker 2: And this is like we joke a lot about like not making a ton of money, like frugality is not a super profitable niche in personal finance, but the impact we're making is exponential, and it is we are so rich in the lives that we've changed. Like I don't know a single other influencer that gets as many emails as we do, except for maybe the ones with millions of followers, but just gets so many emails about the thing like the tangible things people have changed in their lives because of our show of the friend Letter, and it's just like it's so worth it. It's all worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to have friends all over the place, is so cool. Well, boys, thanks for joining us for this episode. Thanks for your surprise bill. That was so amazing.
Speaker 2: It was lovely.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming to my office.
Speaker 3: Any closing thoughts, Oh man.
Speaker 4: I wish I had I did a different bill because I tried to be I try to be funny. I'm not that funny. But yeah, I feel like maybe I should have done like a like a congratulations guys.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's never too late.
Speaker 1: It's gonna go all funny. And then last second I pivoted, so you don't have to feel any shame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the definition of what I was told was like random, So I was like random, funny random. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought you did.
Speaker 3: You did a great bill. It was a very real time example of how you're getting shocking.
Speaker 1: I think it is shocking. It is good. How it starts it was horrible. I'm here. It's so good.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for listening. We love reading your kind reviews. We've only this is the first and last time you'll hear us read one star reviews, hopefully, because we love your kind reviews like this one from Malvern Mom. She says, fantastic frugal friends, it happens to be five stars. She says, I discovered The Frugal Friends two years ago and have yet to miss an episode. I've listened to many of their back episodes. Though I work in financial services, I'm financially savvier than the average person. I find Jen and Jill's practical approach to personal finance with actionable tips and resources strikes the perfect balance for me. I'm continually surprised by how much new information they're able to distill and consolidate in a single episode. Their outreach over multiple media channels is also helpful, particularly the Friend letter and challenges such as January's No Spend challenge on Instagram. I also enjoyed their banter and truly do feel like I'm listening to two friends that I've known for years. Maybe that's because I'm also from southeastern Pennsylvania and feel the connection to some of Jill's idiosyncrasies in common phrases like oh my word, which reminds me of my grandmother. I look forward to every episode and the upcoming book.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. Malvern and Malvern is yes, that is a suburb of Philly, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: You don't realize all the idiosyncrasies of the area you live in. Yeah, it's so right, Like.
Speaker 2: Do you guys say, ponder a lot that's one of us.
Speaker 3: That's because of my therapy background. That has nothing to do with a lot. Thank you everyone for being here. If you listen to this episode all the way through, we know you a true one. Actually are here party your longtime listener, most likely just here for the celebrations, and we appreciate you. And if you've been here for this whole episode and for any amount of time and you enjoy the podcast, please do leave us a review. You can see how they help us so.
Speaker 2: What we're dealing with. Alternatively, see you next time. Google Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni. All Right, all right, guys, this is the after show and this is where the gutter humor really holds bar? No holds bar?
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: No holds barld No, there's no.
Speaker 1: Bo no bars over. We don't even have bars.
Speaker 2: We're not holding them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, I'm not wow. No holds yeah are It's still like hard to read those views, even ones that I've seen before, like years ago. It's like it feels, it feels really dramatic, especially in podcasting and I feel like this, I mean YouTube too. I'm sure it's like a newer thing where people like really want their voice to be heard about how much they don't like something. We're like, you go to Walmart and you buy a product that you don't really like, Like you don't jump on the internet and like scream about it.
Speaker 2: Well some people do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, true, I guess they do. But it's just wild, like like the podcast itself is a free product and somebody is very angry about it.
Speaker 4: So passionate about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so passionate about this one thing they heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, passionate enough to get on and write something out. It is an interesting phenomenon. I think it's a specific type of person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it just it means so much more that if you're not that type of person. And even if it's not our podcast, if you're listening to this and there's another podcast that you have enjoyed, or another person's work on social media or an audiobook, if there is a way to leave a rating and review, that is so impactful because it is a free way that you can support the creators you love, and it does have a monetary gain because the more. I mean when we look at a podcast, like the first thing we're looking at is what's the rating and how many ratings are there? So it does help cumulatively, it is a great thing to do for creators.
Speaker 1: Yeah, helpful. What else we got more banter?
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, we can celebrate by going out to dinner.
Speaker 4: Someday, Eric, someday we go out.
Speaker 3: It's a good joke and we needed to get it on the mic.
Speaker 1: She dropped me.
Speaker 2: She's so good at that.
Speaker 1: She's been she's been letting us go out more often.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing is like like in my in my Bill of the week, like I can complain about not wanting to go or like not being on to call to eat, but like I also don't want to think about money. I really hate it. I like it's the last thing I want to think about my Like b B, before Jill, I did just didn't send to me. I just this is getting risky. I just didn't spend money, like as much money as I couldn't spend. That's what I did. And I just never had any money either. But now it's like, yeah, at least, at least I feel financially somewhat secure. But I do I really like eating out. That's like that is mine is taking you to Mexico.
Speaker 3: On point, I'm the one I'm taking him. I'm treating him to dinner. I'm taking him to Mexico.
Speaker 2: And once she's a New York Times best selling author, then maybe you can go out to dinner.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking about, Like just once, just want me, just one.
Speaker 3: That'll be how we sell the book. Let Jill take Eric out to dinner. Let Eric go out to dinner.
Speaker 2: Let the man freeze.
Speaker 3: He just wants some chicken nuggets and French fries.