Speaker 1: Call It What It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camille Luddington, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, hello, Hello, Hello, Hello Call It.
Speaker 3: Crew, and welcome to another episode of Call It What it Is, What it Is?
Speaker 4: What it Is?
Speaker 1: With a really good guest.
Speaker 3: Today we do a lot of singing at the beginning. Yeah, we should have done our own jingle. I really think we should have. No, I mean, it would instantly go to number one and then we be on tour and it would just be really hard to do.
Speaker 4: We don't have time, we don't have tw Wait.
Speaker 1: A second, what's happening where your voice sounds different today?
Speaker 2: Well, it does sound a little.
Speaker 4: More sexual, that's what we're asking.
Speaker 3: Well it's a little croaky, actually, Sky and I blame Space Mountain because.
Speaker 2: I wrote that a few todays. Yes I did.
Speaker 1: It's that time of year. How many times a year do you do this? Only once?
Speaker 4: I go once?
Speaker 1: A ye, tell him what it is?
Speaker 4: Go to Disneyland when it's Halloween time. I love it when those villains take over the park. Look at my T shirt. I'm in fully in. I've got.
Speaker 1: Your voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, still my voice. I was screaming on those rides.
Speaker 1: It replaced it with a full heart. Though full heart. It's funny. You like spooky time at Disneyland. I like the holidays at Disneyland.
Speaker 4: Do you you know what?
Speaker 3: I did it one time because my birthday is in December, right, so I did it one time.
Speaker 4: But it's not I don't know. Maybe I need to read you a December.
Speaker 1: A little fake snow, a little Santa sweating, a little sweaty Santa on a float, sweat Santa.
Speaker 2: What is he?
Speaker 4: Is he on a float?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: I mean when I was there, Yeah, he was on a float and he was waving and there was a lot. I was full. I was filled with the Christmas spirit at at Disneyland. I didn't see that. It's not I got I got in a little bit of I didn't get in trouble, but I definitely My mother had a hmm about an episode we did.
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me because by the way, you also do a hmmm mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I do I get my hm.
Speaker 2: So Mama Capshaw did a m was our Well.
Speaker 1: You know, here's the thing about starting being on a podcast is that you know there's going to be people who know you really well, who are listening, and even people who know you really well, who might have, you know, grown you and their bodies and then delivered you into the world. Here things that make them go mm hmm.
Speaker 2: What was what was?
Speaker 4: Now I'm interested? What was the Mama Capshaw?
Speaker 2: Wow, it was?
Speaker 1: It was? It was during our episode with Zoe about sexuality and all all the things, and she was hmmm surprised to hear me report that I grew up in a Catholic culture. Really given that our home is a Jewish home. Well, she was like, wait, hmm hmmm. And and I felt like, actually it was funny because I thought, you know what, I totally understand why she was going hm hm and what the question was. And it was when I was talking about the origins and like how I feel about sexuality, and when I reported like having grown up in a Catholic culture that was when I was younger, like when I was younger, younger, and just the first idea of sex came about. I was like, oh, I feel informed by having you know, grown up in this, you know in this in this family that goes to church on Sundays and and you know all the things that came along with it, that being said then in my teenage years. Yes, I absolutely was in a Jewish family, so I kind of I have a foot in both in both both in both cultures and homes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, interesting, and they were both equally very influential, right, like because religion and culture and customs are He's part of who we are and how we're how we're grown, and how we're developed.
Speaker 2: I love that. Like, so that was our Dildo Dutchess episode. So all the things we said in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the one.
Speaker 4: She was like, he's like Catholic?
Speaker 2: What not? The not the how do we use.
Speaker 4: This in the butt in the She's like, hmm, that's the texture getting.
Speaker 3: We do need to have Mama Capshaw on the show. We need know for sure we do. First she can pick the subject. I think, yes, yes, she needs to pick the subject. Maybe we should have her own for parenting and see, oh see what you guys have to say.
Speaker 4: Maybe you have differences in your parenting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, would be kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: It's always so hard because you never stopped being someone's daughter. And so for me, there's an equal parts. Mother knows best, like I so deeply respect everything she has to say and her experiences and the some of them and how she can help in so many ways. But then there's that you know, teenage part of me that's like, you don't know, you don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Mom?
Speaker 1: You don't know nothing. Yeah, you don't know, you don't know nothing, mom. Yeah, let's talk a little bit about who we have coming on today.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but my hair isn't a big blowout today.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and it did, and it's on theme for our guests. Actually, ooh, tell me more.
Speaker 3: Well, we've finally done it. We have finally done it. Everybody has been asking us to have someone from Gray's Anatomy main cast member on the show, and we Who do we have coming on today?
Speaker 1: We have the lovely, the talented, the kind, the generous, the smart, gorgeous, amazing. There's a lot more I could go for, but you're just gonna say it. Sarah Drew.
Speaker 4: Sarah Drew, Yes.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: Captner. I blew out my hair.
Speaker 3: April Kipna style. It's still not a you can't recreate a Kiptner.
Speaker 1: She had some bouncy waves she did.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is when I got on the show. I was like, I saw her hair and I was like, oh my god, can I Oh great, Like I can get hair like that.
Speaker 4: And they're like, no, no, no, no, You're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be in a bun for the next thirteen years because that that's the Kipner and we make sure that only Kipna has the Kipna.
Speaker 1: She's got some good hair, she's got some great hair. Okay, let's just bring her in because I can't wait to see her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's bring the family in.
Speaker 3: Sarah Drew, welcome to call it what it is, holy.
Speaker 2: What it is.
Speaker 1: See I can get we can get hurt of sing too exactly.
Speaker 3: We're talking about how you sing a lot on this podcast, Erarah, and we're like, we can't.
Speaker 4: We should have done our own jingle, but we decided we would have gone.
Speaker 2: It would have been number one.
Speaker 6: It would have been a number one hit, and I feel like it could have made headlines and you should totally do.
Speaker 1: It straight to the tire with her.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: That music money.
Speaker 2: We would have peaked the jingle money.
Speaker 4: It's the the jingle money.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So before you came in, we were saying, the fans have been begging for someone main cast member from the show, and then first, yes, first, you're the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel so honored.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: We are so honored. We're so honored to have We're gonna have so much fun.
Speaker 3: And we asked and then we threw it out there into the grays Verse, into the fandom, and we said that you're coming on the show, and.
Speaker 1: We just people got bated, they're pumped. I mean, it wasn't planes flying over a studio or anything, but it was pretty darn close. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just how many people do you think.
Speaker 6: Can say that they've had a flame up a flane, a plane fly overhead with their names on it writing.
Speaker 2: They're not very many people that can say.
Speaker 3: I think you guys need to tell that story because maybe people don't know what you're exactly you're referring to.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you go Sarah.
Speaker 6: Okay, So the news broke that Arizona and April would be no longer than that, and the fans went bananas in the most incredible love Bomby kind of way. And there was this one girl, I think her name is Lindsay because she visited set like the year two years before and took and like hung out with me and Jesse and I have pictures with her and her dad.
Speaker 2: And like she's a fan, and she.
Speaker 6: Organized the whole plane thing, so she raw lead all the fans to like raise money.
Speaker 2: And then she reached out, I think to you, Jessica.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, that's yeah, that's ringing a bell.
Speaker 6: I think she reached out to you just to make sure we were both gonna like it needed to fly when both of us.
Speaker 2: Were on set during our lunch break.
Speaker 1: I don't think I believed it though. I think I was, like, I mean, I got this message, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then all of a sudden we were there and it was like a blue you couldn't script about our or more beautiful day. It was like a blue bird day, like blue, blank, gorgeous skies, and all of a sudden, this plane goes above and there's skywriting a skywriter.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, wait, it wasn't a banner skywriting just kidding.
Speaker 1: I don't remember things. Well.
Speaker 6: It was a sign that said we love you, Jessica Capshaw and Sarah Drew written like a huge plane.
Speaker 2: Lying a flag behind it, and they circled for the entire hour.
Speaker 6: Like lunch break, they got the moneysword and around around Prospect Studios.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys realized that when I leave, there's not going to be a flea that flies by holding.
Speaker 4: Holding the tiniest stamp of a banner for me.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 6: I got like the aftermath of this being fired from our family moment. I wound up having to do a bunch of interviews and walk a bunch of red carpets because the the web series that I had directed was nominated for an Emmy.
Speaker 2: So literally like three months.
Speaker 6: After getting fired, I was walking the carbet for Grace Anatomy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's one of those.
Speaker 1: Trippy your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, trippy industry moments.
Speaker 2: Could be trippy, but the thing, but this is what I wanted to get at.
Speaker 6: I was like doing a lot of interviews and everybody wanted to know, like, how did it feel whatever? And of course, the one sound bite that everybody took and was plastered on all the headlines that was picked up was Sarah Likin's getting fired to attending her own funeral.
Speaker 4: Oh stop, that's actually a great quote.
Speaker 6: And what I was trying to describe was like were unceremoniously let go in a way that felt really mean and unjust, and because of that, the outpouring of love was ormous that it was like you were sitting there watching people say all the things that they love about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did yeah when you I have a question when you guys came because you've both came.
Speaker 4: Back to the show, does it feel like coming home? Absolutely feel like.
Speaker 2: Yes, But I have no.
Speaker 6: Attachment to it at all, So I think, so there's peace where when I was on the show. When when you're on the show, you know, you never know what's going to happen. You never know if they're going to lose interest in your storyline, or if you piss off the wrong person, then something's going to happen, Like you don't know.
Speaker 2: But when I've just popped back in to.
Speaker 6: Say hello, I have zero anxiety and I don't need anything from anybody on that set anymore. They're not responsible for my livelihood anymore. They're not responsible for my success or my joy. So like it feels very very freeing to pop back in because I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, this is a fun spot to come visit.
Speaker 1: When I heard you just say that, I'm thinking about when you first came, because when I've been thinking about you so much because we were going to be here today, and I was thinking that, you know, Grace is known for just having these incredible character arcs and these journeys for these for these characters. Right, you, in particular, I think, really started in one place. And I mean, obviously you're still ongoing because you're still alive and could go back any minute, but you've you are in a far different place now. So when you first came, what was that like? And did you what was your story did you come? Because the joke is that I don't remember anything, evidently, just remember anything, don't remember anything.
Speaker 4: I actually had to tell her she was on the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah I think there's a clip of you not knowing that my character was with Jesse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, she didn't. She didn't know. Oh yeah, there is that.
Speaker 3: But she also thought that we came on in the same intern class. She was like, hey, you were Jessica and Sarah just show and I was like, no, I knew you were with Jesse.
Speaker 1: I never said that they were not together.
Speaker 6: Okay, then I think it was this I think I mean bad, but I'm not think I think it was that have eyeballs and ears.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we were talking.
Speaker 3: Did you know when you got cast, did you know like you and Jesse were going to be this massive showmance.
Speaker 4: Oh girl, guys.
Speaker 6: I I was offered a two episode.
Speaker 1: Dark Yeah, that's this is the story I want to get at.
Speaker 2: This is the story.
Speaker 6: I came on to get fired and I saw what I saw episode I had just done a pilot with Shanda, and she said, want to come play for two episodes.
Speaker 2: In fact, here's a funny story.
Speaker 6: I was originally offered the role of the woman that George saved and got hit by a truck, and she had an episode the end of one season, end of season five, top of season six where you the double O seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that whole thing I was supposed to.
Speaker 6: I was originally offered that just to do a two episode, come play with us for two episodes, and I couldn't do it because of a scheduling conflict. So after so then yeah, So then coming into season six, she was like, hey, hey, are you free for these four weeks or whatever to do these two episodes?
Speaker 2: And I was like, sure, that sounds like fun.
Speaker 6: So I came to get fired knowing that all three of the other interns were all on a series regular trajectory.
Speaker 2: I was just coming to leave.
Speaker 6: And so I got my character got fired, and then I went and I did like mad Men and Glee and like super Natural.
Speaker 1: Because as aforementioned, Sarah Trew has been on every television shows, on every talent.
Speaker 6: I just like stopped like as a guest that was like demon possessed, I was a murderer.
Speaker 2: It's because you're so good.
Speaker 1: You are such a good act you are such a but let me say this for a second. You are such a phenomenally talented actress. And the fact that you've gone from show to show is a testament to that and proof of that because you are so believable in so many different roles, Like you are a true actress. You go from thing to thing to thing, and you're very different. So I think that it's just I wanted to say that because I just I really believe that. I don't know that I've said that out loud to you to your face, but I'm telling you right now, I think that you're such a phenomenal actress and this, this is looking at your whole life in a different way and talking to you in this way reminds me of that because it's like the whole picture. But I remember when you came, and I remember. I mean, it's it's interesting because I've heard you talk about it. But the character you obviously didn't know you were going to stay, so you came for the little bit. But if you think about what you looked like and who you played and who you were when you came, and you look at what.
Speaker 6: You look like and who your character was and what you played at the end, No, So this I was actually just this is an interesting little take on what our industry does. I was just telling somebody else about this before, prior to my character getting with Jesse Williams, I've always played awkward, grading annoying, ugly, duckling, not beautiful people. Seriously, all of It's always like the weird stalker who is after mister Shue.
Speaker 2: Or.
Speaker 6: The pathetic wife who's married to a man who doesn't love her, or the really ugly best friend to the Emily Van Camp character in Everwood that like people comment on how ugly she is because she's wearing glasses.
Speaker 2: Oh no, wearing glasses.
Speaker 6: Yes, I was ugly until my character started dating Jesse and now I play romantic.
Speaker 3: Leads and that's so that's actually I think that's kind of fucked up.
Speaker 6: It's super it's because the industry. It's because the show tells you how to think about somebody.
Speaker 2: That's just what. That's just the scripts are written.
Speaker 6: The character is designed in mind of like, I want you to love this person. I want you to be annoyed by this person. I want you to think that this person is beautiful. So we're gonna put her in situations where everybody talks about how she's the ugly duckling, even if she's not ugly, but then you will then makes the audience believe they are ugly until the audience until the show starts saying, look how beautiful she is, and look how pretty, and look how vibrant she is, and then all of a sudden, the audience is like.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, she's You're a product being sold. They're advertising you to be like a certain way, basically yeah.
Speaker 6: And it's and it's it's written into dialogue that you're telling the audience how to feel about somebody. Always like that is what is happening in a script. Always if you're telling somebody how to feel about somebody, so like it's very in and I look, I loved all the weirdo characters that I played before moving into romantic leadland. And the funny thing is, too, my whole career started playing the most romanticist lead of all, Juliete on stage. But it was on stage, so it's away. It's not like you know, yeah right up in the face.
Speaker 1: What important to mention right now is that I don't know of any plastic surgery that you've had, so you've always been beautiful. I think what you're what you're talking about is the way that the characters talk about you, or how you're made up in here and makeup yeah and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because I was talking before you came in, Sarah, I was like, I blew out my hair today for you to honor April Kipner. And when I came on the show, I saw you in the makeup chair and the hair chair and your hair was like you were so.
Speaker 4: Glamorous, and I was like, oh, yeah, I want I want that. I all get that hair.
Speaker 3: And they were like, no, no, You're gonna be in a bun for five hundred years. That is the April Kpner look, that's her. And so it's so interesting hearing you say that the ugly duckling, because you were like the blood the g put together, gorgeous doctor on our show. In fact, so that like some of us like literally.
Speaker 4: We couldn't even we weren't even allowed anything.
Speaker 6: But she, but April was even when her hair started to get blown out, nobody commented on her beauty. Ever, because nobody was interested in her, nobody wanted to date her. She was the weird virgin, twenty eight year old virgin even.
Speaker 2: And I guess at that point.
Speaker 1: Well, you were kind of making this up. You were kind of like a know it all. Yeah, weren't you greating? That's an annoying thing to play. Yeah, right, like that's just no one. No one wants to deal with the know it all.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but in real life, guess what you are too? Not in an annoying way, but you are you know it all. I'm being in scenes with you, you and Chondra. Oh my god, I'm like you literally like stop everything because you're like, oh, we hold on, this prop isn't where we're supposed to be. Wait, this doesn't make sense because I just said previously previously this other thing, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Who cares? I have such an issue?
Speaker 1: And Chondra are like I care, I care.
Speaker 2: The logic cast the math cast math.
Speaker 3: For me or I can't say I love that. I do love because Sandra was like this too. Sandra was a Sandway.
Speaker 6: She was my model when I came on, I just like I.
Speaker 2: I would watch Sandra.
Speaker 6: Passionately fight for something about her character or her story with with our head writers passionately, and you could see there was real respect between. She wasn't just going sucks. I can hate this stupid shit. I've never even got to learn any of these lines, you know, which we've seen other people do. It's like it's who I know.
Speaker 2: But like her.
Speaker 6: Her passion, how much she cared about every single piece of the journey of Christina Yang was inspiring it. It actually allowed me to have a voice, so my I like, I would watch her and go, oh, you can have a beautiful collaborative relationship with the writer team, and you can be involved in the crafting of your character instead of just being a meat puppet, and like, go stand in your mark and say the things I told you to say. And I really took that to heart and they allowed me in to participate in the journey.
Speaker 4: I were watching you and Jesse just be so involved in story and dialogue.
Speaker 3: Your YouTube, you know, scenes are like the most watched scenes.
Speaker 4: They have the most views of.
Speaker 3: Anything on Gray's Anatomy, and it's it's a testament to both of you. I have a question, what is one storyline that you were resistant to do that you weren't a super fan of?
Speaker 2: There was, Yeah, there was this one.
Speaker 6: So there was a cochlear implant story where we I can't remember exactly. It turned into this conversation between and Jackson and I were at that point married, but were coming from two completely different perspectives.
Speaker 2: And I was fighting for.
Speaker 6: How to do with a patient, whether they were going to give their kid cochlear implants or not. And I was fighting from the perspective of that there's this whole beautiful culture that is that sund that surrounded with the deaf community and with sign language and whatever. He and he's from the science perspective of like, why wouldn't you fix it if it was a problem. And it kind of spiraled into this conversation where we're talking about faith and I basically say I feel sorry for you that you don't have any faith, and I had. I remember being on set and like weeping to Tony and being like, I don't know how to say these words out loud because I feel like it's so arrogant, and I don't want to present a person of faith that is just feeling sorry for everybody who doesn't believe what she believes. I just like it feels it's everything I want to fight against as I'm playing this hopefully multi dimensional, very grounded, and real character who's living out her faith in a way that resonates with how I live out my faith. I don't want to walk down a road where I am just shutting saying I know I'm right and you're wrong. Judge, Judge, Judge, Judge, judge, because that's the only way people of faith had ever been depicted before on television. So I remember like weeping, like so many There were so many times when Jesse because what I could explain it to him and then he could distill it, and then I would get too emotional and then he would like translate it.
Speaker 2: We'd advocate for you, Yes, you would advocate.
Speaker 6: For me again from like he comes from a completely different perspective, well, like we would do that for one another on the onset, you know, which was so sweet and I don't remember exactly did.
Speaker 2: You end up having to say the line?
Speaker 6: I think I said the line, but I but it we came to a medium, a medium part where something I don't remember actly was.
Speaker 2: Behind the line.
Speaker 6: Intention behind was was more of of instead of oh, it's so depressing that you don't know the truth, it became.
Speaker 2: More about like, my perspective allows.
Speaker 6: Me to see the unseen and there's magic and I wish you could join me there.
Speaker 1: Seeing as an actress, I was a little bit more like Jesus take the wheel. If the writers want to write that, and I'm going to say that, then I'm going to say that.
Speaker 3: I think everyone well, everyone has their own process, right, like everyone has what works for them.
Speaker 6: If I wasn't playing a person of faith, I wouldn't have fought that harder advocated.
Speaker 2: But because it's.
Speaker 6: Something I know so well and something I care about so much, that was you know, if I my role, I would had a much easier time on Grace if I was not playing a Christian.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it's like making that quick turn and go Oh, this is a whole new way of looking at like, I mean, identity.
Speaker 1: What I think was so genius about what the writers did was that there were no real stereotypes built around me as a character. You know, there was there was no direction with hair or makeup or the clothes I wore or things I did. It was very much like she could be any she could be anything, and she was gay.
Speaker 6: Like, well, that's what I love so much. And I think what Shanda's writing, what this show in particular sort of made a path for, which is to like just show everybody and not comment on it all, you know, like we don't need to make a whole thing about that part of your identity. You're just living your life in your skin as who you are, you know and like and then and we're representing everybody you can imagine while just living our life. You know, there's there's nothing so powerful. There's no like sermon you can give in an episode that's going to be more effective than allowing yourself, you know, allowing someone to be seen in a way that isn't just like now we have to know, we have to do an after school special about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the only time that I ever had issues with words? Is how many times we say each other's names. I'm like, I'm not saying not saying her name. Everyone knows what her name is. No one needs to hear me say April. I say April five times on this page. I'm not saying it had the same issue. Jesse's like, I can't. I cannot like how many.
Speaker 3: Times April, April April hand me the four steps and then afterwards April, I don't understand why you're not April.
Speaker 1: Just open the door. Stop it.
Speaker 2: I know your name, we all know your name.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: It's so true.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have a random question myself. Okay, I'm Grace. Okay, who do you think? This is more like a trivia question? Who do you think would have been? Would have made the worst love interest for April?
Speaker 4: Kevinor Sloan? Oh goodness, there's no need to even explain that.
Speaker 6: Can I tell you a funny story On the season seven, before they made my character Love Jesus and a Virgin, there's a scene where Sloane, well, we're Sloan and Reed have sex random one night stand that was supposed to be me. Originally it was supposed to be April. April was supposed to have some random one off with Sloan and it was in this. It was in the original like production draft, and then they changed it. I didn't have anything to do with it, but they changed their mind.
Speaker 3: That would have completely changed the trajectory, trajectory of every everything, everything, But that's because fans don't know this. Yeh okay, okay, Jessica go u interesting. No, I was actually it's not a grades. I was thinking about how the three of us if we were to do something outside of Grades, Like if we were to sign up for a movie all three of us or a series all three of us, would we wanted to be a drama, a comedy?
Speaker 1: What do we think?
Speaker 2: Comedy?
Speaker 1: I want us all to be in a comedy.
Speaker 2: I want comedy, I do. I mean, I love comedy.
Speaker 1: Remember when we did The bridesmaid when we were doing the covers of the movies, of.
Speaker 6: All the movies, Yes, and that was so fun. We gotta do a Bridesmaids.
Speaker 2: We want to.
Speaker 4: That's what we need to do.
Speaker 6: We need to do a Bridesmaid's landish Bridesmaids esque, Romp love It.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Romps, you wrote the first sex scene for a Lifetime movie, right Christmas Christmas movie, which was a Cowboy Christmas, and.
Speaker 4: I just Christmas sexy, gaboy Christmas.
Speaker 3: I just have to know a was was that your idea? Did you have to push for it? And did Lifetime push back?
Speaker 2: So it was an acquisition.
Speaker 6: So I wrote it and produced it with a separate production company and who.
Speaker 2: Loved the idea. But I was basically like, look, I am a normal woman.
Speaker 6: I love romance and I love when it gets steamy, and like, there are nine thousand rom com Christmas movies. Everybody loves Christmas. They love but I know there's an audience for people who want to have a little more steam.
Speaker 1: They want to see you doing it.
Speaker 4: I want to have more steam.
Speaker 1: They want Christmas sex.
Speaker 2: I need more, They need a little more spice.
Speaker 6: So I just I had just shot a Western and I was in life horseland in my brain I'd had like the best time ever and so and so I just started doing research on like what's going on with ranchers these days in America. I was like, okay, hot cowboy, hot girl. And I as I was working on it with my my producer, I was like, so like, do you think they could like really like get it on, like in the middle of the movie, do you think that could happen?
Speaker 2: And she's like, I think you should go.
Speaker 6: For it, and so we produced it and we made it, and then Lifetime saw and they're like, I'm keeping everything. I love it all, and that's what that was the their foray into I'm going to try a little naughty Christmas maybe once a year. And they just bought my second one. Oh it's a sexy carpenter. Okay, tell us about this one.
Speaker 3: What is it? Is there steam? How much steam should we expect? It's a Christmas movie.
Speaker 6: There's steam, and there's nostalgia of a really fun So it's it's about two people that used to have a relationship and then coming back together.
Speaker 2: And it's about a carpenter. And if you look at the carpenter, my lead.
Speaker 6: Guy, his Instagram Mitchell Slaggert, he basically is the embodiment of this character. Like all he does is like play with his dogs and build things.
Speaker 3: And he's also so many women are running to Instagram right now.
Speaker 4: Just from those two.
Speaker 2: He builds the listless most.
Speaker 6: Of the time as he's like chopping wood, his Instagram.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm not even kidding.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He's literally the most perfect choicefulness he's so good in it.
Speaker 6: And then Sasha Peters from Big Dirty Little Liars Liars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, pretty Little Liar.
Speaker 6: A Little Liars, Sorry, pretty Little She's amazing. So they're both amazing in it. But yeah, but but I have like a fun nostalgic comment where basically he was like her Jordan Catialano growing up, where they would like make out in secret, but he would like hide her. Did you not get that reference, Camilla?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I just I get the referen I'm thinking like Wonder Years a little bit, not one.
Speaker 6: It's Claire Day's, It's it's my so called blat life.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Jared Letto Jared Leto when.
Speaker 4: Made Letto, that's I forgot that that was his character name.
Speaker 2: But I did not like Jared. I know he was a jerk.
Speaker 6: Well, this is the issue was that she comes back and they had all these steamy makeout sessions when they were kids, and then now she's back and there's a spark that's regnited, and she's a writer of a romanticy novel writer. So she writes wrote like fantasy romance novel.
Speaker 2: This is so good.
Speaker 6: He's a carpenter and he's trying to rebuild this town that had like a mass of fire five years ago, and so he's been like helping me. It's been shirtless for Fuss, shirtless restoring the town for five years.
Speaker 4: Do we get to see this Christmas?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: I think I think they're gonna announce the I feel like I feel like it just is coming. The announcement is happening like now, like ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, but I think.
Speaker 6: It's December twenty first, I'm like, Okay, we will. It's very exciting because the first one was was a cowboy Christmas romance and this one is a carpenter Christmas romance.
Speaker 2: And I just love that. Lifetime has been like, yeah, let's keep doing this.
Speaker 4: I love I love it, I love it for you.
Speaker 1: I love it works. It works.
Speaker 4: I'll be tuning in.
Speaker 6: I got to tell you about Mistletoe Murders, which comes out on Halloween.
Speaker 2: So this one.
Speaker 6: I am so excited about this show. It's it has like Veronica mars z Esh feel to it. There's like a really fun I play this Christmas shop owner, but I've got this secret pass that I'm running from in a secret identity, and so there's some like badass things that come out that.
Speaker 2: You're like, how would she know how to do that?
Speaker 6: But there's people start dying and she has to solve these crimes, and it's there's romance, there's comedy, there's action, and it's shot really beautifully and it's written really beautifully, and I'm like, I could not be more excited about it.
Speaker 4: And when does that airing?
Speaker 6: That's Hallmark Plus, so it's on their new streamer, so it'll start dropping every Thursday, starting on Halloween.
Speaker 1: This gives kind of like Jennifer Garner alias.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly said.
Speaker 6: That is exactly what I thought when I when I read the script, I was like, because then he sent me this whole like file on my backstory and you only get little tiny pieces of it. You have little eaty bitty flashbacks and stuff about like what what brought her to this place? And she's really kind of an interesting double life situation.
Speaker 2: It's pretty fun.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 1: I feel like I made a connection there were you and Jennifer Garner being sort of similar. Yeah, okay, so the callic has written in their questions. Emily wrote in, and she said, what was the most iconic scene for you during Grey's Anatomy?
Speaker 6: Probably the Hello. My name is April Kepnor. I'm twenty eight years old. I was born on a farm. I got this, you know that one, the speech with the shooter. I think that that was like the first moment where I think the world really encountered April Kepner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just got Goosebine where.
Speaker 2: I really encountered April Keptner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: Shannon asked, what do you think April will be doing now since she left Gracelawn Memorial.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I haven't thought about April in a while.
Speaker 6: You guys, Well, they're still thinking about April. Okay, he's in Boston. I think she and Jackson are still together.
Speaker 2: Looked like the.
Speaker 6: Last time I visited they got back together. Unless that changed.
Speaker 4: Can you see them having more children.
Speaker 2: If her eggs aren't dead.
Speaker 1: The baby, we don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 6: I love.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a lot that answer. Sorry, eggs aren't fried.
Speaker 2: The eggs need to be alive, Yes, they do.
Speaker 1: Those viable eggs. So Freya wrote in and said, how is it working on guiding Emily and learning about the blind community.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: I know that's that would be a long answer too, but it was. It was such an incredible experience to witness, because I want once one thing I'll share is that for a lot of the movie, I'm blindfolded, and it was a process to get the stuff on. So I would spend like hours completely with my eyes covered and having people lead me and guide me to where I needed to be. And you you really begin to learn like the folks that include you and the ways that you are isolated based.
Speaker 2: Up because you can't see anything.
Speaker 6: You're not taking any social cues off of anything, you don't know who's come up behind you, you don't know where you are, you don't know how you're going to get where you're going to go, you know, and if you're in a crowd, if people aren't actively including you verbally in the conversation, you feel completely invisible. So it was very very interesting and I and I you know, in my experience, of course, is that I'm on a set where I'm the number one on the call sheet, so everybody is working hard to make me feel included. But I did remember we worked with a few visually, partially partially cited and blind actors on the show, and I and I would I found myself going out of my way when we're all sitting in our chairs to verbally include them in the conversation, because I saw it happen a few times where people just started having conversation in the corner and then she just gets quieter and quieter and quieter and quieter because nobody's including her, you know. So it's a very very it was very illuminating and a really intense journey, and I'm so grateful.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud of that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, hear you talk. I'm also reminded of something that I was reminded when I saw you last in Chicago, is that you are you have I mean, you're clearly we all are, right works multifaceted, there's so many different dimensions and things and everything else. But I would say something that I know about you from being in relationship with you is that you have a through line of real humanity and goodness, Like the way that when you when you talk about things and when you consider things, even when you're being naughty, and you can be. You can be naughty. I've had naughty conversations with you, But there really is just such a there's such a goodness and I find it so exciting and inspiring and warm, and it just it always feels really nice to be with you.
Speaker 3: I have to say that on our set, I always felt like when I joined, there were certain people that felt like a comfort blanket to me that I just felt like warm, so much warmth from Jessica. Not the first year that was like a spiky cactus.
Speaker 1: But it was cold as ice, like an icy bath.
Speaker 3: No, but there were certain and it's like you always from day one, Sarah, I have to say that, like you were and I miss I miss you so much on our set.
Speaker 4: We're getting a little nostalgic.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to hop back into some questions really quick.
Speaker 6: Before you have to go, I want to just say thank you. I really just appreciate you reflecting that both of you. That means like it's it's it's that that feels an affirmation of what I hope I am, and it's that that reflects the purpose that I have in life.
Speaker 2: So it really, no, you really are acting that's who I want to be.
Speaker 1: So I I and you are and in the land of the yes. And because we talked about the yes and so much right, I always say I didn't even know what paradox was until I was like in my thirties. But the yes and the yes, and we've clearly said while you can be all that goodness, like I said, you used to annoy me with all your note illness on set.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You are, Chandra. You guys can it the same place?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: I remember, big, I remember a big conversation with you because I changed something in the moment and you were like, no, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is my boundary. Okay, Sarah, this is a boundary I'm setting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then by the way, I.
Speaker 1: Probably was like, is that okay, this is my boundary.
Speaker 2: You hear about your boundary?
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I loosten you just you're hearing it from two people. I can be cheap is.
Speaker 5: Not the right word.
Speaker 4: No, No, that's not what it is.
Speaker 1: I can be, I can be I can be suparn like I can get like immovable.
Speaker 2: We've talked about that. She's she's look, I am.
Speaker 6: I admire the way that you're able to establish boundaries because because it also comes with the other side of you, which is like I will burn this motherfucking house to the ground to defend you. You know, it is it's like, it's it's the it is a strength, and I I think I probably allow myself to get bowled over too, unless I annoy someone into submission.
Speaker 2: Actually I disagree with that.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I disagree with that.
Speaker 3: I think that you I watched you both because I was the new beyond st with you guys. I think that you both were really strong voices on that set. I didn't get any element of like being afraid to sort of fight when you needed to have, you know, fight for what you loved about the character, because it always came from such a it always came from a great place. There was nothing ever remotely Gidiva, all those things that actors can beat. It was never ever that. And so I feel like I learned so much from watching both you guys, truly, really honestly and slowly found my voice, you know, like a million years later. It takes time, but it's so great watching It was just so great watching you guys.
Speaker 6: Maybe that's why we were fired, Jessica, No, no, this is.
Speaker 1: That's a different episode.
Speaker 3: That's a different episode with a glass of wine.
Speaker 1: Again, we just funny, but we're the luckiest people in the world because truly, at almost the end of every episode that we record, we want more, so we always leave it.
Speaker 4: Are you already done?
Speaker 5: I know went fast, It went really fast, and you know what it does.
Speaker 2: I only can take answer one fan question. Sorry, guys, no, we're going to have you back on.
Speaker 3: This is not this is just the this is the introduction of Sarah Drew to our show, or so many more questions.
Speaker 1: And you know, obviously there's you know, people, the people want to know what they want to know, but also if you have things that you want to talk about, or if you have a topic that you're psyched about, like we're obviously already set up to do this, so you know know any.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, one hundred percent. It's open door policy here for miss Sarah Drew.
Speaker 4: We love you so much. You wait to talk to you.
Speaker 3: And we can't wait to see all that the new TV show that's coming out Halloween Messletie Murders. Right, we have the Christmas the Christmas Carpenter. We can't wait, the shirtless.
Speaker 1: All the sexy.
Speaker 2: There's shirt there's some shirtless. It's great.
Speaker 4: We love it. We love you, Sarah, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 4: Bye.