Speaker 1: Tis League records bring.
Speaker 2: We will sue you to.
Speaker 3: The Gunner.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Haut, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Thursday July sixteenth. That's Arm Lighton and I am Peter Apple and today one burning question for every team in the National League post All Star Break. We're also going to talk about the Lance mc cullers junior trade from the Astros to the Brewers and Chase Burns of the Cincinnati Reds just got extended seven years, one hundred and five million, and Arm and I are here to break it down. And it's all brought to you by bet MGM and bet MGM is officially live at Alberta, Canada. Remember to use code just Baseball when you make an account, because if your first pick loses, you'll get it all back in bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks. And everyone who has a bet MGM account can use this MLB no Sweat home Run token. You don't have to worry if your bet didn't clear the fences. Just activate the token either today Thursday, July sixteenth or tomorrow Friday, July seventeenth, when you bet on any player to hit a home run in an MLB game, and if that player fails to go yard, you will get your stake back in bonus bets. Remember code just baseball on bet mgm arm. We got a lot to discuss today. I say we get straight into it. What do you say, Let's do it because we've been in Philly for a while. Had to take a little bit of an off day yesterday just because of travel. But we are back with a banger episode and just a reminder. Part two will be live tomorrow, so we'll do the entire American League tomorrow. Thank you everybody joining us live here on YouTube. Best way to support the stream smash the like button and subscribe button For all those audio folks, Leaving a five seur review is the best way to support the show. Ar Lance mccullus junior got traded. So the trade is mccullus junior and Colton Gordon to the Brewers for minor league outfielder Jaden Fielder and cash. The Brewers will be absorbing the two and a half million dollars remaining on mcculler's contract, only.
Speaker 4: Two and a half of the much larger number remaining on the contract, which is the interesting part.
Speaker 1: I wrote it wrong, Yeah, break that down for.
Speaker 4: Us, because it's a lot of like there's a relatively decent amount of money left on the contract for Lance mccohor's junior, and hey, that was a sunken deal, right, Like you're not going to be able to offload that money. But the fact that with Colton Gordon decent depth arm that I left that now, I think the Brewers could have an interesting opportunity to try to, like Shane Drohan, try to unlock a little bit more out of and the fact that like they're only taking on two and a half, like the Astros are only really removing two and a half million dollars of this deal. I thought it was kind of surprising to attach like a decent pitching prospect. I know Gordon has him been great, just for two and a half million dollars he gets you have Jaden Fielder coming back the other way. He's gonna be twenty two years old at low A s having a nice year, but ultimately like not even really a top thirty prospect. Maybe in the Astro system will be a top thirty prospect, like at the thirty range, like twenty eight to thirty range. But it was interesting the astros who always talk about we always talk about every dollar matters up against that CBT.
Speaker 3: Seems like they're trying to make, you know.
Speaker 4: Just create a little bit of wiggle room, also open up a forty man spot to potentially, you know, go make another move.
Speaker 1: What interests me most is why the Brewers would do this because Lance mc coll is junior, he's thrown thirty nine innings this year to a six eight six ERA. In the year before that it was only fifty five innings at a six y five one ERA, and all the underlying metrics put him at four or five sometimes even six when we're looking at expected era phip X FIP sierra, and he's been striking out north of a batter per inning. But the walks, I mean walking five per nine this year, walked over six per nine last year. Now, when his three rehab starts in the minor leagues, because he is close to returning, he's looked okay, right two four five ERA is nice, striking out eleven and eleven innings, But of course it's such a small sample and it's in the minor league, so it's tough to really know. What about mccullar's junior profile. Do you think the Brewers saw and said, that's the guy that we want to target.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the big question. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Obviously, he can spin a break and ball and I think that's something that you know has always been there for him.
Speaker 3: You'll get some of the rehab outings.
Speaker 4: They've been brief, like three rehab appearances, eleven innings. He's pitched to a two four five era and it looks solid overall. I think maybe they want to weaponize the Brewers McCullers and kind of a shorter one to two.
Speaker 3: Winning relief role. And we've seen like.
Speaker 4: They they have different plans for guys that sometimes can just work. So I think they're looking at just a low cost edition and a guy that maybe they can try to unlock something with and and you know, for for really nothing.
Speaker 3: And at the same time they also bring in Colton Gordon.
Speaker 4: I think that might be the more interesting part of it for them, is that they may see something in a lefty in Colton Gordon, who uh, maybe they have a little bit more of a plan for who they can develop and if they think there's an off chance that mccollors can be a decent you know, middle reliever with some tweaks. Maybe that's it, but I do wonder if it's this is kind of more of a larger effort to just go grab Colton Gordon and continue to stockpile that they're pitching depth.
Speaker 3: Gordon is throwing to a three six nine e RA in the PCL.
Speaker 4: The strikeout numbers aren't great, but the command is really good. I only walked fourteen and seventy and two thirds innings, So I think it's more about Colton Gordon here, and I think that's a guy that they're willing to take on two and a half million of you know whatever, the five to six million that was left on this deal to be able to acquire a Colton Gordon. I think is maybe the part of the deal that is really motivating the Brewers.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, but I'm sure a lot of baseball fans can relate when a pitcher like Lance mccully's junior or even Colton Gordon gets traded could be to twenty eight different teams. I we'd say, okay, nice, he goes to the Brewers, And I'm sure baseball fans like myself are thinking what do they know? And McCulloch Junior obviously has been a big time name for a while, just hasn't been able to stay healthy. Colton Gordon is kind of bounced up and down between the miners and the majors, and he's filled, you know, a decent role for the Astros, whether that be starting games in a pinch, pitching in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: What do they know?
Speaker 1: And I know I already asked you that question, and I don't think either of us can answer. I don't think anybody can answer outside of the Brewers, But I am just asking, what the hell do they know here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's gonna be the fun part.
Speaker 4: I think Gordon is going to be interesting to see what kind of arsenal tweaks they can make, because again, and especially with lefties of late, and he's not as talented as a Kyle Harris or anything like that, but you get a six four, two hundred twenty five pound lefty here that can throw out of strikes, and I think that's a guy that the Brewers are interested in being able to maybe make some arsenal tweaks with and see what they can get out of him.
Speaker 3: And then, yeah, I mean, maybe there's some.
Speaker 4: Short sort of specific plan with mccollher's. But I do think when you look at Gordon's arsenal, where he's got all these different offerings that he can attack you with, there's usually a little bit more wiggle room to make some adjustments there and lean into one pitch more than the other.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's again, I believe we got like five or six different pitches that Gordon can attack you with, four seamer sweep or two seamer changeup, curveball, a cutter as well. Like I'm I'm sure the the Brewers are excited to kind of mess around with this template and see what they can get. Also another guy that gets, you know, above average extension down the mound.
Speaker 1: Well, the Reds certainly feel like they know that they have a top ten pitcher in house. Chase Burns was just extended seven years one hundred and five million dollars. It's the largest ever for a pitcher without four years of service, and it ties Homer Bailey for the largest contract given out to a Reds pitcher, tied for the third largest in team history, behind Vado and Griffy. There are no clock club options in it, and it runs through twenty thirty three, and this is, you know, right after Burns was just named an All Star after posting a two five four ERA so far this season in one hundred and two innings with one hundred and eighteen strikeouts and ranks top ten and f war per fangrafts war. So what are your thoughts on the extension. I was a little bit surprised, considering the Reds are clearly not a team to normally do this. Right. They did give Green that six year, fifty three million dollar deal, but it's not a front office known for spending big time money. But here it is seven years, nine figure deal to Chase Burns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's it's awesome. I think it's good for baseball anytime this happens. I mean I was just at the Baseball Writers Association brunch, and you know, we heard from Bruce Meyer, the the MLBPA director, and then we also heard from from Rob Manford, and you know, two different perspectives on these types of things.
Speaker 3: I think Meyer saying that this is happening more and more, and I do agree with that.
Speaker 4: Rob Manfred implying that players like Chase Burns typically have limited options, citing New.
Speaker 3: York in LA as the typical option.
Speaker 4: So anytime this happens, I just think it's good for baseball in general and for a guy like Chase Burns, Like he gives up two years of free agency, but he's still going to be able to go hit free agency and get his bag as well. You buy out the arbitration at this point, like agents and the teams like they can model it.
Speaker 3: They got a pretty good idea of what.
Speaker 4: Chase Burns is going to cost through arbitration, even if he's a little bit better than expected, a little bit a little bit worse, So you model that out. Maybe you got to pay a little bit extra through those our years to be able to convince him to give up to free agent years. But at the same time, like I think it's a no brainer for both sides because Chase Burns is still gonna be able to hit free agency I think, just on the right side of thirty or right around thirty years old. And he also guarantees himself one hundred million dollars. The Reds, who have been really frustrating disappointing this year, lock in a piece here to continue to build towards next year and beyond and say Hey, like, we still have a really good core. We still have Ledo Cruz for several more years. That might be an extension that's hard to pull off, and that would probably skew back towards Manfred's argument, right, But hey, we have solid pieces, solid players, south Stort's playing well, Abbot's really bounce back.
Speaker 3: We have all these young pieces. It's just not all coming together.
Speaker 4: Here's another statement, and I think another reason to you know, get these fans to in a disappointing year, be able to believe that, hey, this Red front office and ownership is still trying to find ways to win and invest a little bit more into this team.
Speaker 1: We've seen a lot of pre ARB extensions with hitters, but we rarely see them with pictures. And I want to bring up this question from our YouTube live chat from Big E nine to seven two seven. I wonder if we will see more teams making this deal with their young pitchers. An example, could the Pirates lock up Brax and Ashcraft to this contract next. Do you think we're going to see a run potentially on these young starters getting extended or do you think this is more of a one off type of scenario.
Speaker 4: I mean I think teams are that's a more interesting situation because I think with pictures there's always the risk of extending those guys and just being stuck if they get injured. I mean, look, we just talked about Lance mc colors, right, and like that that contract obviously tied the Astros up a little bit, to the point that they're attaching another arm on their forty man roster to clear up a couple million dollars so that they can have a little bit more wiggle room, you know, at the trade deadline, which I also think, by the way, with the Astros very much implies that they're going to be buying. But I think we'll see it here and there, especially for the teams that are nervous about being able to retain talent but also won't be able to go out and sign a Terek Schooble, right, Like the Reds are never going to be in the hunt for a Terrek Scooble or oftentimes just any of those top top flight arms and free agency a Dylan Ce's like, they're not going to get it into the two hundred and fifty plus million dollar bidding for a free agent most of the time. So this is the way to be able to keep and secure, you know, an elite arm especially, And I think it's a little bit different with the Reds because very few top flight pitchers are going to want to sign in Cincinnati. Very few are going to want to go play in Great American Ballpark. We've already seen that. So if you have a guy there that's proven that he can throw there and proves that he doesn't care about throwing there, I think that's the guy that you've got to go outside of what you're typically used to doing and make sure you keep him. Because this is an uncharacteristic deal for the Reds. It's one of the biggest contracts they've ever given it out, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's a pitcher who can throw in Great American and is fine, you know, consistently pitching in Great Americans. So I think it's a little bit more of a deviation from other what we'll see from other teams.
Speaker 1: I think you're totally right on that, and it kind of answers our next question. But this came to us in the discord, and you know, in our discord, which you can find a link to join in the episode description, whenever anything happens in Major League Baseball, we go to the best basebook group chat in the world to talk about it. And at Big Red Analytics brought this up and he thinks that because of it, we might see a salary floor. And let me just bring it up to you real quick. So he says, salary cap and floor almost a guarantee. No chance Red's owners make this move unless they think there's a floor. I assume you disagree. I assume that just it's hard to find pictures this good to pitch in great American bullpark.
Speaker 3: I think it's one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that it's just difficult to find an arm that's to stay there. And like, this is a rare opportunity to be able to retain a guy like that. You were gonna pay all through his arbiers anyway, So it's like it's not like you were going from zero to one hundred and five million. You're going from like forty to fifty to now or maybe like thirty. I I haven't modeled out the arbiers, but from a decent chunk of change to a little bit more by buying out two years, those two years that.
Speaker 3: You bought out would have been what.
Speaker 4: You were trying to get, you know, mid level arms, like they would have been in the market for like better than mid level, but like a Michael King like look about Michael King costs in the free agent ranks, a qualifying offer is twenty two million dollars, So like that, that's why the Reds did this, is you're just buying out two years of free agency, maybe paying a little bit extra through the arbiers to be able to do that, But it's not like a full fledge like oh, instead of spending zero dollars or spending one hundred and five, they were gonna pay him through those ar beers. Anyways, those arbers were gonna get very expensive because of how good Burns has been right away, and you would have offered him the qualifying offer, he would have turned it down, but if he had accepted it, you would be jumping up and down for twenty two million dollars.
Speaker 3: So no, it has nothing to do with that.
Speaker 4: I think that's something that especially from hearing from both sides this past week at all start week, like, I think fans are putting a little bit too much into what each of these teams are doing.
Speaker 3: And like what that might mean about the CBA.
Speaker 4: No one knows what's going to happen with the CBA yet both sides like it is still so early in the entire process. I don't think it guarantees anything, and I don't think teams are making decisions based on that as much as as people want to think that they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I don't think anything has been decided yet. So for these decisions to come down the pipeline when even these teams and even on the owner side too, they don't know exactly what's going to happen yet. There hasn't been a ton of discussions. There's been the league bringing up proposal, the MLBPA immediately saying we will not accept that proposal. Then the MLBPA comes around and send something over and the owners go absolutely not. So nothing has really happened yet. So to think that these teams are making decisions because of a guess, I just don't see that happening. Now. I think it's time to transition over to one burning question for every team in the National League post All Star Break going forward for the rest of the season. But real quick, I want to shout out our friends at Lidds. We just had that incredible event with Ryan Howard. He was a blast and you could see it on our last episode. We had a little ten minute spot with him. But if you text code baseball to two nine zero one seven, you will get fifteen percent off your first purchase at Lidds. And if you want to pick up any of the great All Star merch or any other merch we were there. They have everything. Couldn't recommend our friends at lids more. Remember to text baseball to to nine zero one seven to get fifteen percent off a LIDZ. All right, Arm, let's start at the top. One burning question. We'll start with the Dodgers. So I have one and you have one and we can kind of go back and forth for who goes first. All started off my burning question for the Dodgers. Can Kyle Tucker turn it around in the second half? And because I look at the Dodgers right now and I say, yeah, they could probably win the World Series right odds on favorite. But if Kyle Tucker is the Kyle Tucker we know he can be. I mean, they could sweep anybody. It won't even be closed, right because if they aren't firing on all cylinders, Like I don't think they were necessarily in the World Series when the Blue Jays took them to seven. But if you're telling me we can get peak astros Kyle Tucker here in the second half, I just don't know how they lose. But so far in the first half, I mean, the numbers are incredibly disappointing for a guy making sixty million dollars a year, over a million a week, he's hitting two forty four, three forty one, three seventy five for a seven to sixteen OPS with only seven homers and six deals. And what's I know, the bat hasn't been great, But what worries me as well is the defense. I Mean, what makes Kyle Tucker a sixty million dollar player is not only can he be a bat that's forty percent above league average while being a thirty thirty threat with elite play discipline, but he's a good base runner. He was a really good defender. But ever since he left Houston, like even with the Cups, he was negative one defensive run saved, negative two outs above average, and now this year with the Dodgers, it's negative three defensive run saved and negative five outs above average, and his average eggs of velocity is below ninety for the first time in his career. So again burning questions for the Dodgers. There aren't many now, but this is an area where we could see Kyle Tucker return to form. We might as well stop the podcast for the rest of the season because it's over. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the one area too where you'll get the Dodgers and you're just like, what's going on over there. I think that's very specific too, because I think when when you had the inconsistency of what Kyle Tucker did last year at the end of the day with the frustrations and I know Cubs fans weren't thrilled with Tucker in a Cub's uniform.
Speaker 3: He walked as much as he struck out.
Speaker 4: He was a four and a half, a f four player, twenty two homers, twenty five packs. So you follow that up with the Dodgers paying him the ridiculous AAV deal that they're paying him, and he say, all right, he's gonna be fine this year, right, like the Dodgers see something positive. Ultimately, as ugly as it got through that year with the Cubs, he was banged up. He still gave you a four win season. He still showed you enough shades to Kyle Tucker. So to follow it up with a worse year in a better hitting environ both lineup wise and field wise, uh yeah, that's definitely just a head scratcher. And I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is going on there. And you really hope it gets better soon because I know other people don't want to see that, but like I just I like seeing Kyle Tucker play at high level. As you know, he's always been one of my favorite players to watch. But right now, it's just it's sluggish. It just looks sluggish.
Speaker 1: And speaking about sluggish, look at his slugging percentage just you know, in the last handful of games or so, because lately, right he's hitting two eighty six in the month of July. I know it's you know, only really two weeks of action, but it's a lot of singles and he's walking, but he's slugging three forty three. It's just there seems to be no juice. And it's not even just the eggs of alat cities or the slugging percentage. It's you know, the base running, it's everything that makes Kyle Tucker powerful just hasn't been there, which is just shocking to me. Yep and mine.
Speaker 4: You know, I wanted to go to the Schooble route, like, no, well they go get Schoogle, But you know, I think that's already like a pretty common place question.
Speaker 3: I think the other aspect when he'll get this rosters, can Will Smith.
Speaker 4: Get healthy, because it's beyond what you get from Will Smith offensively. Obviously Shoho Tani prefers to throw to wil Smith. Now, I think the Dalton rushing stuff is over blow, and I think rushing is is going to be and it is already a.
Speaker 3: Really good major league baseball player.
Speaker 4: So you know, he was a top ten prospect for me pre debut, and I think he's gonna have a long.
Speaker 3: And successful career.
Speaker 4: But as it pertains to this year specifically, I still think there's a sizeable gap in terms of what you're going to get day in and day out, working with the pitching staff, working with a pitching staff full of vets that have thrown to Will Smith a ton versus you know, a rookie catcher that's still learning how to you know, regulate his emotions, carry himself in a way that is a little bit more even keeled for a team that's trying to win their third straight championship.
Speaker 3: Like, if you're trying to win three straight championships, even keeled is the name of the game.
Speaker 4: And I know Rushing is already making that progress, is very self aware he's gonna have it a really, really good career. But for this year to try to three peete and the pressure that comes with that, and the pressure that's only gonna mount, you need your catcher back there. You need Will Smith and he's been out since the beginning of June, and I just think there might be a little bit more going on there than you know, whatever the reports are, just like neck inflammation, whatever that means. So Smith, Like, of course you need his bat, but I just think that guy being the steward of your pitching staff as well is vital to this team being able to make their you know, their run for a third straight.
Speaker 1: Title, no doubt about it. And I'm curious too if the Dodgers feel like Will Smith is going to be back sooner rather than later and he'll be perfectly healthy. Could Dalton Rushing be on the move right. We've talked about the Dodgers making huge splashes at this deadline, and Dalton Rushing is a piece where you know, maybe you could convince a team that's not even necessarily selling to give one of their best pieces in order to get a major league talent. Kind of one of those big league swaps where again maybe it's not on the it's not on our brain of a team that could sell, but they send a pitcher over to the Dodgers, and the Dodgers give them a catcher, and both teams stay really competitive and just address needs. So I think beyond just Will Smith coming back, what that then means for Adalton Rushing and two more quick ones that I had. I'm really curious what's going to happen with Shoe Hao Toanni's knee because he got an injection right he didn't play in the All Star Game, and it was something that he was kind of dealing with, and the Dodgers scratched him from his start that was supposed to be before the All Star Game. Do they start to slowly shut him down as we get closer to October and they get back guys like Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now into the rotation, or is show heo TONI totally fine and he rattles off a season with an ERA below two and he's in the Cy Young race. That's again a burning question. I don't have the answer to that. And my last one is just what version of Mookie Betts do they get? Because in June Mookie Bets had his best month of the season, and then he turned round in the two weeks leading up to the break and put up a four to eighty two OPS. And for anyone who's watched more than one game of Dodger baseball in their life, they know that when you get good, the good version of Mookie Bets, the Dodgers are an unstoppable force. When Mooki is not hitting, or not defending, or just not playing well, the Dodgers are vulnerable. And there are plenty of great teams in the National League, which is again why I brought up Kyle Tucker. Nobody in the ALE can hang with him. Mookiy Bets could stink and Kyle Tucker could stink, and I still think they gentlemen sweep anybody in the American League. But it's about getting to the World Series. And to get to the World Series. I think the Dodgers are going to have to be firing on all cylinders in order to beat the Brewers, in order to beat the Phillies, in order to beat the Braves. Right as the dimback sneak in, Dimonback's already beating the hell out of them in the regular season and are not afraid of them. So again, this is the one team where I don't think any of the questions are actually burning, but I will say they have a lot of them, though I think that's fair to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I say, what happens, they have a bunch of high expectation players exactly.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to the Diamondbacks. And since I went first for the Dodgers, you're up. What's your burning question for the for Arizona?
Speaker 3: Has Mike hasn't seen enough with this team? You know?
Speaker 4: I and by enough, just is this enough for him to go out and buy and continue to try to bolster this team Because a big part of the equation for me being bullish on the Diamondbacks, you know, months ago, was the returns of the presumed returns of Corbyn Burns and AJ Puck and Justin Martinez and Martinez is trending to get back sooner rather than later, and oh my gosh, it's not going to help this team in their bullpen. But you know they have more more questions than that. Even though Lord of Scurriel was they're going to get him back. Like, there's just a lot of different options that can continue to make this team better.
Speaker 3: And especially when you saw e Rod.
Speaker 4: Throwing the ball well out of the gate and some of the other things that were going well, there was a lot of reasons to be optimistic if they could just weather the storm until July.
Speaker 3: But then Corbyn Burns is a setback.
Speaker 4: AJ Puck has a setback, and all of a sudden you're like, oh, where the reinforcements. Lord of Courriel couldn't be worse since returning from injury, and it's been tough. I do think though, with the way the team is hung around, they sweep the Dodgers going into the break, they're two games over. Mike Haysen, we talk about Preller being a madman, no one, no one's on Prewer's level, but on the spectrum of like conservative and aggressive GMS, Haysn skews well into the aggressive side of things right, Like he is well over there, probably in the ninetieth percentile of like he's ready to go, And I'm just curious if the flaws in this team will be hanging over his head too much, or if he's gonna feel like, hey, we've hung around despite this, We're gonna get some of our guys back. Burns might still come back, you know, in September, Let's go for it.
Speaker 1: My burning question is actually along those same lines, because I've I feel like if they had a couple of bats to step up from five to nine, it'll make Mike Hayson's job a little bit easier because we expect, you know, the catel Martes to bounce back. Corbyn Carrol has already been awesome. Gabby Moreno is having a really good season, right, But then you look five through nine, and of course I forgot about Heraldo Perdomo, who's still providing value defensively and you know on the bases. He's just got to get that ops up a little bit. But I think we have faith that he's going to do so I don't have any burning questions about the top four. It's the Ildemorrow Vargases of the world. The Nolan Arnado's the Lord is Gurriel Juniors. I mean these are not I mean Vargas, you know, kind of caught fire. But Lord of Curiel Junior is not a forty nine percent below league average offensive player by WRC plus Nolan Aaronado. I know he's at the tail end of his career, but he's not this bad. Ryan walshmid is a prospect that you love. I love. I drafted him in the rookie draft at the beginning of the season. He's better than being twenty percent below league average. And I think if one of those guys or two hopefully or three, why not because they got him, can step up until the August third trade deadline, help them win some more games. It'll make Mike Haysen's job a little bit easier because I'm not going to ask in the Diamondbacks rotation who's going to step up. They've lost so many pieces, like you lost Ryan Nelson, you lost Michael Soroka. Gallon just hit the il. Corbyn Burns hasn't returned, so that's more of just I hope someone does. Injuries are They're not having so many injuries in the bottom half of their lineup. These are the guys they brought in and they should be better. So my burning question for the Diamondbacks is who from five to nine in the lineup is going to step up and help the front four? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think you know you're hoping when they brought in cap wlare that as he just kind of shakes the rust off. If he's in a ninety five WRC plus for them, I think they're happy with that. They just need the bottom half for the lineup to not just be a crater. And I think Walschmid is the big variable day that I'm looking at because his first one hundred and thirty Big League play appearances they send him back down the trip away. Now he's back up demolished Triple A of course, and if he can settle in and be a solid piece for them, I think that really helps length in this lineup one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Let's move over to the San Diego Padres and I'll go first this time around. Can Jackson Merrill turn it around in the second half, because I think when you look at the Padres offense, you know people immediately go, well, what went wrong? And the big name is Fernando tacI Junior, right, we saw the home run downturn, but at the end of the day, he's been two percent abovely gaverage. It's not like he's been a hole. He just hasn't provided much power. And Manny Machado, his name has certainly been floated around there for one of the most disappointing players in Major League Baseball. But by WRC plus, he's been a better hitter than Jackson Merrill has this season. And this one's just shocking to me. Now, he has some decent counting numbers. He's got ten homers, he's got nineteen steals, the Man's Batten two nineteen arm obpad two seventy eight slug at three point fifty, he's been twenty four percent worse than a league average hitter by WRC plus, sitting at just seventy six. The strikeout rate has jumped all the way to twenty five percent. Now, I know he's still twenty three years old, and I know you and I there is no he could literally hit zero this year, and you and I are not giving up on him. But for the Padres to turn it around, especially offensively, like Jackson Merrill, has to be better, he simply does so that's my burning question for the Padres.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, Meryl, it's it's one of the more shocking struggles we've seen. You know, I know that he had this the frustrations last year and struggle last year, but you had a concussion and other injuries to justify it. Like, I don't know what's going on now, and it's it's puzzling, and you know, we saw it kind of be contagious through this team, but now you've seen Machado really pick up. As you mentioned, Tatista has at least started to pick it up. Maryl was the one. He's not shown the signs of life yet at all. And like, even if he was just showing signs of life to be close to a league average hitter or just even having an upward trajectory over the last month, I think.
Speaker 3: I'd be less concerned. But right now I'm pretty darn concerned.
Speaker 4: And and it just is a I don't know, it's a weird spot for him to be in because I think he's such a glue guy for this team, especially with some of the older pieces that they have to be able to impact the game in so many different ways.
Speaker 3: And mine is more just just kind of broad because I think it's still.
Speaker 4: Kind of inevitable that this team is going to buy, so long as they don't just legitimately drop eight to the next ten.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 4: Like I think if they're within three to five games of five hundred, I think they're still going to go for it.
Speaker 3: How do they buy this year?
Speaker 4: I know we feel I feel like we say this every year, but last year, they you know, went out and with the Mason Miller deal, like they went out and traded one of the best prospects in Major League Baseball. Now there wasn't a lot behind that, but then he just went probably went quantity over like for all the deals and basically traded all of their quantity. You know, people are gonna say, oh, we say this every year, how is probably gonna do it?
Speaker 3: He literally traded everything everything. So there are some pieces here.
Speaker 4: And I think for Rentals, yeah, Prower can make trades happen, but Preller as aggressive as he likes to be, and we have seen.
Speaker 3: Him go nuts for Rental, Tanner, Scott and things like that. But that team was really good.
Speaker 4: Like that Danner's got had the chance to like actually pushed that team into another Acheloon.
Speaker 1: Just that team almost beat the Dodgers in twenty twenty four, who then beat the shit out of the Yankees in five. Like the Prodgers were ahead in that series. It's totally understandable to go all in at the twenty twenty four deadline. Absolutely, and then in twenty twenty five, this is a playoff team. They got there, it's just they lost in the playoffs and should happen that.
Speaker 4: And that buying was a little bit more control based, like you had Ramon Loreano with o Hearne was a rental, but it came with Loreana with control. Mason Miller was a bunch of control. And I think with that, I don't know if we see Preller go mad Man for rentals like because then I think that's also all that they can do. So this is where I'm most fascinated, like how does Preller make this happen?
Speaker 3: And the immediate answer could be Ethan Salas.
Speaker 4: They could go, but I don't think you trade that guy, and I don't even think Preller trades that guy. And I don't think that one hundred at bats of Louis Campusano swinging at a really high level is gonna be enough for him to do that either. I think school Craft, a couple other guys maybe they can make it happen. I'm just really curious to see this. This is the most hand tied aj Preller has ever been going into a deadline, and it might be the worst team he's had going into the deadline.
Speaker 3: So I'm just I just can't wait to see what he does.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm just not sold that day. By I'm really not, I mean, out of the break, they have a pretty relatively easy schedule until the deadline. Right they face the Royals, that's their first series out of the break, they theoretically should take care of business, but it's not like the Putters are that good, so who's to say that they do. Then they're going to go face teams like the Braves and the Marlins, which are going to be tough. But then you got like the Rockies and the Giants. So I think if they struggle in this stretch, I would be surprised if Pereller buys because if you're telling me like this team is not catching a second wind and they're not handling Rockies, Giants and Royals, that doesn't seem like a team that you want to add on to and trade from. This farm system that you said to yourself is now quite barren because Preller sold off a lot. What makes Preller such an incredible GM is that he's able to replenish the system. And I'm sure now that they have a couple of key names, but at what point is enough enough?
Speaker 4: Well, and that's where I think maybe they go to the bullpen and say, okay, well, if we trade you, you know they're gonna get Jeremiah strawa back relatively soon. So yeah, if we send you more a hone and I know, I know that's your your your best lefty. But if we send you more a hoone and and a prospect or something like that for a team that is is competitive as well, and we do the big leaguer for big leaguer thing that could make some sense.
Speaker 1: Be could teams.
Speaker 4: You know, if David Morgan is healthy in the next couple weeks, Morgan in a prospect like I think I could see Prower getting creative and leverage the bowl, leveraging the bullpen arms that they have too. So I just can't wait to see what he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it. Let's go over to the San Francisco Giants and you're up first your one and burning question for.
Speaker 4: A team that's already out of it, it's just can they offload one of these big contracts?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That was that was mine too, I said, I just real quick, I said, can they commit to a full teardown?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I think they wheel up to Logan Web and like can they Can they be convinced on Logan Web? I don't know, but I'm just curious about the financial side, because look, you're not gonna be able to move the Devers deal and if you somehow do incredible And.
Speaker 3: That's this part of the big question.
Speaker 1: Hey, can we give dev some credit? Though he's he's really turned it up lately, got his WRC plus up to one eighteen. Like, you know, he's a ton of national media on his you know, really rough start to the season, but ever since then, he's been a really, really good bat. Of course, he's still crazy expensive and he can't defend, but the bat has returned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think he's gonna hit for a long time. I do, Like, I think he's gonna be a good bat, but I just don't as.
Speaker 3: We both know, like, no one's going to be lining up to take that deal on. So you're you're you're kind of strapped with that.
Speaker 4: You know they're gonna move Awrise, it seems like, and there's been reports I think John Hayman had reported too.
Speaker 3: Like they aren't necessarily eager to move Jong Houli.
Speaker 4: So like if they're not able to move Chapman, they're not able to move devs. Like do they just say, hey, maybe maybe this is some money that we clear off.
Speaker 3: I just look at a Damis.
Speaker 4: And I look at Matt Chapman, and I just say, like, can you somehow figure it out? Could you swap not a bad contract, but take on some maybe slightly underwater money?
Speaker 3: Like how how creative can Buster Posey get here?
Speaker 4: And we've seen Buster Posey just add and sign and you know, do kind of.
Speaker 3: The easy MLB the show type of things. Let's see Buster Posey.
Speaker 4: Try to get himself out of a situation that you know, is created by some of the moves not going the way that he wanted them to. And that happens, and that happens to a lot of gms, but and executives, but the good executives and the unemployed executives. The difference between those twos, they maneuver their way out of these situations.
Speaker 3: So I'm hungry to see.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And that's why I chose my words carefully when I wrote down, do they commit to a full teardown? Because I think they'll do a pretty good job at selling off these, you know, contracts that are going to end at the end of the year, these expiring deals. But will they be able to move bad contracts or will they be able to move pretty good contracts? Like is this a full teardown? Is Web gone? Is jung Huli gone? Right? Because if they're unable to move the Chapman's the damas the Devers contracts, which appear to be pretty much underwater at this point, I guess outside of Matt Chapman, I still feel like that's a fine deal, but the other two not so much. If they aren't able to move but they really need to move money off the books, are they then forced to trade a Web and a Jung hou Lee. That's why I want a step further, and I feel like that's the burning question, and it might just be a plane no right. If they're not able to move the bad contracts. They don't want to move the webs or the junghu Lei's of the world. But I am certainly curious because I could see it happening one dick.
Speaker 4: Are they willing to pay it down Toeah? It happened like Chapman, Like you got to pay that guy twenty five a year until he's thirty seven. He has a full no trade cost too. So this is this is a big test for Buster. I want to see how he works his way through it.
Speaker 1: We will see. Let's go over to the Colorado Rockies. Mine is more of a fun one. I'm curious what you brought up. But can Hunter Goodman become the eighth catcher ever to hit forty plus home runs? And I think that right when you look at Goodman's year and you see twenty seven home runs by the break, it's awesome, but almost like cal Raley hurt this narrative last year by hitting sixty with how rare it is for a catcher to hit forty plus home runs like this is a feat that the Mike Piazzas of the world, the Roy Campanella's of course cal Raley, I mean cal Rawley was the first player to hit forty homers since Salvi did it back in twenty twenty one to forty eight, and forty eight was the previous record. I mean, he's right there. Like you see the list Johnny Bench in nineteen seventy, Hobby Lopez in twenty twenty three already mentioned Roy Campanella, Todd Hunley forty one in nineteen ninety six, Johnny Bench did it again, Mike Piazza did it twice. That's it and he is on pace to do so. You look at the Fangrafts projections, the highest for the rest of the season is sixteen, the lowest is twelve, and they're generally a bit more conservative. I think this is an awesome story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it is.
Speaker 4: It is, and I think there's the fact that there's something worth following there, like can a Rockies player have a historic season? Is yeah, in itself just exciting and hopefully brings keeps fans coming out to the ballpark, which.
Speaker 3: They do a great job of there at Cores.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, like you've seen a little bit of a dip in frustration and understandably so, I can't believe that they've stuck it out as long as they have, and I think it's just because the vibes are so high and it's in a great location. But there's reasons to go to the ballpark now with the Rockies, and I think Hunter Goodman's a big part of that.
Speaker 3: The other part of it is just that this team is like actually functioning, and I talk about that a lot.
Speaker 4: I think I bring it up all the time on here, But my question is just what does a functional Rockies front office look like with assets to cash in on. In the past, we've literally seen the Rockies not trade rentals and let them walk in free agency for no reason other than maybe.
Speaker 3: We could get them back.
Speaker 2: You can also get it back if you trade him, you can still sign them and he's equally a free agent if you trade him before or if you just let them walk like you're not gonna qo brent Souter, Do.
Speaker 1: You think they know that? Like you're joking rod As if they know that, I don't know if they know that. They know that now, Yeah they do now, but I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Did Deepadesta knows that now?
Speaker 4: So back then they did it like they literally didn't pick up the phone. So I just want to see what they do now, because I think this is a front office that actually operate and actually is a little bit more innovative and actually is is actively trying to improve this team. And also you have Charlie Condon, who we just talked to, you know on the call up a bunch of fun interviews from the Futurist Game.
Speaker 3: By the way, check that out on the call up, like twenty.
Speaker 4: Top prospects that we talked to two different episodes going out today and tomorrow. But Condon's did ten home runs in twenty games in Triple A six and five games, like he's ready to go at the big league level.
Speaker 3: You got to care up some space.
Speaker 4: They've got rentals, they've got pieces, they've got bullpen arms, they've got pieces. In a market where no one's selling, a lot of teams are going to be interested, Like Maniac, a lot of teams want a left handed hitting outfielder, a lot of teams need a hard throwing bullpen arms. I think there's plenty of different ways where this team can get creative and really recoup a punt as one of the few sellers in this market. So I want to see what a competent Rockies front office can do being one of the teams with the most assets to part with.
Speaker 1: I do hope they don't go full board, though, and trade a guy like Hunter Goodman. Selfishly, yeah, I don't think they trade Goodman. Yeah. Selfishly. As a Yankee fan, I would love to see him in pinstripes. But I just I think it's better for the Rockies long term. I mean, you have a guy who hit thirty one home runs last year, really broke onto the scene and is saying, hold my beer, let me do it again, and do it better this time, twenty six years old, years of control, cheap. There is no reason to trade him. I just hope they don't use this opportunity to just wipe the sleep clean and trade everyone. I think you should keep Hunter Goodman, and I think they will do that. I just wanted to put it out there that I hope they don't for the sake of the Rockies and for the sake of the fans. Right, moving into the second half of the MLB season, all right, we're going to move over to the National League Central. One burning question for every team in the National League. We move over to the National League Central with the Brewers, the Cubs, the Cardinals, the Pirates and the Reds. We're going to start up top at the division with the Milwaukee Brewers. I went first for the Rockies Arms, so you're up first. Your one burning question for the Brewers.
Speaker 3: I'm going to keep my.
Speaker 4: Theme going of just more team wide front office type of questions, and is this the one year they actually swing for the fences, because if the Brewers don't do it this year, I'm just going to embrace that they're never ever, ever ever ever going to do it. And I'm already kind of embraced that they're never going to do it, but now I will fully embrace that they will never.
Speaker 3: Ever ever ever ever ever ever buy because I just don't know if you don't do it this year. This is such a good team.
Speaker 4: You have so much talent in your farm system. It's actually it's actually gross.
Speaker 3: Like it is. It is greed. It is greed.
Speaker 4: How much talent that the brig is greedy farm system they don't have room for all of these guys that the Biloxi Shuckers are are better than entire farm systems.
Speaker 3: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 4: By like, by talent, I would take that team over some other entire farm systems. In Major League Baseball, and I mean you just your recently extended prospects.
Speaker 3: Aolie Laura is up there playing a few times a week.
Speaker 4: Like you've got Cooper Pratt up there as well, Like you also have some of the guys alread up at the big league level, and you still have a trillion prospects. Go for something crazy, do something nuts for once, please, like you don't even have to feel it. I'm not saying you have to, like fully just just like unplug the model, but defy it a little bit. Do something that shakes up the league for one ever ever, because yes, you don't want to, you know, compromise sustainable winning to push all your chips in in one season. That's why the Brewers are what they are, like, that's why they have all of this is because they have been steadfast. They have accumulated talent, they have never pushed the chips forward, and they have built the layers of talent that they have. I'm not saying you need to go absolutely nuts and just unravel that, but I do think you could trade a couple of top one hundred type of prospects. You could trade a couple a couple pieces here and go get one of the top players available, you know, in the market.
Speaker 3: I don't see why you can't do that.
Speaker 1: Use two words never and ever a lot in that statement that you just made. On a scale of one to ten evers, what are they at now? And if they don't do anything of this trade deadline in terms of big time buying, how many evers does that move up to.
Speaker 4: I think they're at about they're at an eight of never ever and if they don't do it, it's ten doors shut.
Speaker 3: I'm never gonna bring it up on the show again. I promise you.
Speaker 1: We're moving past nine. So let's say they make small moves. Does it move up to nine or does it move down to seven?
Speaker 3: It's just the same. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If anything, if they just don't make any big move this year, it's it's just gonna stay. If anything, it will go yeah, up to nine, because I just I think this is the year to do it. Really, this is such a good freaking team.
Speaker 3: The Cubs are vulnerable, yes, of course you and.
Speaker 4: If you if you look at the Dodgers and say, well, we can't do it because because of them, like then yeah, some of the things that the league is saying is probably a problem then.
Speaker 3: Because you're two games worse in the regular season.
Speaker 4: You have one of the most dominant you have probably the most dominant pitcher in the league right now in Jacob Mazerowski, and you've got plenty of talent behind them, always a good bullpen like you can win any given series.
Speaker 3: Assuming Kyle Harrison comes back and is okay. I just I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't understand not making a decently aggressive move. I don't even think it needs to be the craziest move ever. I'm not saying, you know, trade Leo Devrees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not Tonguy's.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying trade Hazers today, and I'm not saying trade payin you. None of those blue chip guys Jet Williams can go. You just got him for you know, Freddy Feralta. Those guys can go. And I don't think you feel it.
Speaker 1: I think your question bleeds into mind and you said something about Kyle Harrison like he should bounce back. That's my one burning question is who steps up as the number two pitcher with Harrison injured, Because I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Kyle Harrison, once he returns from this strained left forearm. His throwing arm comes back looking like the picture that we've seen early on right to end. In his last two starts in July, it was three innings, four innings, did not look good. Stuff didn't look good, and then he's the IL or maybe he hit the IL beforehand, or regardless, wasn't a great situation there. And you got a twenty four year old pitcher who's never thrown more than one hundred and twenty four innings in his big league career so far. To think that this guy just comes back and bounces back to the basically ace that he was, I just don't think it's likely. So then I say, well, Brandon Woodriff is likely not going to be there to save you either, because in his last start, before he hit the IL, he was sitting eighty six. So I think to myself, who's coming in as the game two starter behind Jacob Azarowski, and I like some of the arms they still have left. Logan Henderson is just whenever he gets the call to come up, five innings, one run, there you go, here you go? Is that number two? Though? You got Brandon Sproude, who looks all right, but you know they lost Quinn Priester for a lot of the season. I am curious who's going to step up there. Maybe it's Kyle Harrison. I just wanted to note that it is not a foregone conclusion that he bounces back with the innings that he's got to throw coming back from a four arm injury when he didn't look good to end the first half. Again, we don't know. So my burning question is who steps up as that number two? And is it a trade, like you said, And that might be where you go, Yeah, go get a guy outside of the org to help you do that.
Speaker 4: I could see the other side and this is probably what the Brewers will do, is well, Harrison's hurt. You know, our chances went down from x percentage to y percentage.
Speaker 3: We just can't do it, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think skepticism is embedded in the very data driven front offices. And it makes sense because technically speaking, every single time you start a season off, the odds are stacked against you, no matter how good you are.
Speaker 3: But you know, I would just like to see them again.
Speaker 4: Doesn't need to be anything crazy, but just make a more impactful move than what we're used to.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Let's go over to the Chicago Cubs and mine is player focused. Is Nico Horner gonna bounce back in the second half. Nico Horner has been a problem this season offensively. He's hitting two thirty three Nico what six thirty one ops, four homers, thirty eight RBIs well below average and we're talking about WRC plus. Now we still got his fourteen steals. He's still playing elite defense, which is great. But for the Cubs to really compete in the National League, they need Nico Horner to step up and against righties this year arm five eighty ops. He's hitting two eleven. In July, he ended this two week stretch going five for thirty six for a three seventy three OPS. Now, the Cubs they need this offense to click on all cylinders if they really want to compete in October. I think that they'll make it right. I think that this is a playoff team. Fangrafts would agree, giving them an eighty percent shot. The Cubs have been a playoff team. They want to go far in the playoffs and it can't just be PCA and friends. I'm also looking at you. Alex Bregman needs to be better in the second half, But Nico Horner's production is so important to the fabric of the Cubs. Right, Bregman is new, Right, Nico has been their guy. And when Nico's at his best in pcight is at his best, this Cub's offense can look unstoppable. But when PCA is at his best without Nico and Nico's at his worst, they just won't be able to compete against the Dodgers of the worlds or even the Braves of the world, or I think the Brewers of the world. So Nico has to step up if the Cubs want to do anything, because the Cubs and Jed Hoyer can go out and go get a starter or two. But if Nico is still this bad, it's hard to buy in on the cubs chances in October.
Speaker 4: Well, Bregman's getting a lot of hate, and I know he's getting paid big time, but he's been twenty percent better than Nico Horner offensively, exactly. And it's not like Nico Horner's playing for free.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I know it's a lot less in terms of av but they they're not a lot less.
Speaker 3: It's decently less. They extended him. He's gonna be paid for a long time.
Speaker 4: They made a major financial commitment to him, so I think horners should be kind of held to the same standard or close to it, especially if he's a guy that again has been there for a while comfortable.
Speaker 3: It's just been a down year for me. It's who's your ace?
Speaker 4: Who's the guy that when he takes the ball for you, the Cubs have a better chance of winning than the other four days And I just don't know who that is, and I think they really need that. Matthew Boyd would probably be my answer right now. I know Shoda, depending on what day it is, looks like you could be him and then sometimes not. But that's like what comes with the territory with SHOWDA anyways, which is why he's not your your number one starter. And they don't have an ace by the definition, But like who is theirs? I don't know, And I feel like they need that guy that when he takes the ball, that lineup knows, hey, this is this is our day, Like we definitely have our advantage today And I just feel like every single day, all five even when they're healthy, like I know Edward Cabrera like is coming back and we'll see how long he's out from the strained hamstring. But since he got carted off with that, it's been a sod plugging in and he's been solid for him. You know, they went out and acquired Peterson, Like, who do you trust? And who's the guy that's going to be the dude for you? The equalizer? You're on a three game skid. Who do you want to take the ball right now? It's just like, Ah, we really need the offense to just go crazy and get us this win. And I think it's a really hard way to go into the second half and play through and forget the playoffs. I think they're going to make it, but like, if you don't have that guy in the playoffs, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Do you think the Cubs are going to be the most aggressive team at this trade deadline?
Speaker 4: No, because they're never that aggressive. It's similar like I think they're gonna make moves, but I can never see them being the most aggressive. Jed Hoyer is just so calculated. It felt like Casey for Cabrera was kind of out of character.
Speaker 3: And even that, like there was a trade that everybody was waiting for them to do. Yeah, and just kind of putting on the table for it felt like a year plus.
Speaker 1: Remember at the last deadline they needed starters and they decided let's just go get Michael Soroka. Yep, and that wasn't enough. So we'll see, let's go over to the Saint Louis Cardinals. What's your burning question?
Speaker 4: But the Saint Louis Cardinals, I'm gonna copy paste the Diamondbacks question because has I'm Bloom seen enough? Is he seen enough to say, let's keep this team together forget sustainable win and winning like bolstering the farm system. This was supposed to be a bridge year blah blah blah blah blah, and let's go for it like and building off of that. What does go for it mean? Does go for it mean we just don't cash in on Dustin May and Riley O'Brien, or does go for it mean we add?
Speaker 3: I struggle to imagine that they add.
Speaker 4: But as we record this, as we get ready for games tomorrow, Cardinals are one game out of the wild one game out of the wild card, Like, it's wide open, and That's where I'm fascinated. Heim Bloom, very careful, very much likes to bolster the farm system, and in instances of trying to buy in the past or be aggressively, we've seen some if he you know decisions. When he was with the Red Sox, I think his hands were tied, But now in a way they're kind of tied because he can't really really swing for the fences.
Speaker 3: But could he make some.
Speaker 4: Savvy additions, like how does he go about this deadline? And at the very least, has he seen anough to not subtract some of the rentals and some of the pieces that they have that would probably be popular trade deadline candidates.
Speaker 1: My question is along the same lines, but it's more about what happens before the deadline, because I think it's easy to forget that last year the Cardinals were fifty one to forty six of the deadline or excuse me, after the All Star break, and then they went one in five and they sold. Does this Cardinals team which does look better than last year's team. Their first series is against the d Backs in Arizona, winnable series, then against the Angels, very winnable series, then against the Dambecks again it's a makeup game at home, winnable game, and then they face the Reds at home, and then of course they have a series against the Cups. But can they rattle off a hot streak be a wild card team and him Bloom goes, I think I got to unplug the model, and I think we got to go for it a little bit, not saying anything crazy like you said, but at least go for it and not sell. Right. But if they stumble against some below average teams or even average teams, and I'm Bloom goes, oh shit, now we're at five hundred. Let's say by the time they face the Cubs at the end of July, they probably sell, and they might sell big. So my question is how do they respond post All Star Break because they were at a similar record last year. Do they stumble like they did last year or do they do the complete opposite and win seven of nine games and now they're a prohibitive wild card favorite. Then what do they do? So I think actually these next four series are as important for any team as there is in this entire episode in the National League. What do the Cardinals do against those either average or below average teams?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cardinals Diamondback's two teams that in that series can prove a lot one way, and I'm sure that's why It'll just go two to one one way or the other, and it'll be close games and no one will have any definitive idea there. But I think two teams that very much can determine their direction in the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to the Pittsburgh Pirates, and mine is pretty simple. Does Paul Skins regain fastball spin rate? Because we've seen drops and spin rate that can often be associated with potential injuries. So is this just a blip and he comes back throwing fuel and being the Paul Skins that we know who just recently had an ERA above three, or is this going to be a tough season for Paul Skiings and he either continues to perform poorly based on his own standards, or the worst case scenario, he gets injured. I think that's huge for the Pirates. I think the Pirates have about twelve burning questions. Yeah, like I think we could do an entire episode on them. But that's the one at top of mind for me. Your horse at the top, because we talk about guys like Mitch Heller needs to be better. He does, but like, how much better. Is he going to get Jared Jones needs to be better. He did just rattle off a six inning perfect game, right, Bubba Chandler needs to be better. He's just so inconsistent that it's hard to know if he will be. Ashcraft has already been great, There's no real questions about him. But Paul Skeins can absolutely turn it around and be the best pitcher in the National League in the second half. Again, this comes to us from Code five. Paul Skins in twenty twenty six average four seamer spin rate on April first, twenty three hundred dor pms on July first dip below two thousand, and you see a gradual decline start overstart. So that is my biggest question. Can Paul Skins return to form?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think mine is actually what you briefly touched on there is is can Jared Jones be that clear cut three for them? Because what we saw from Jared Jones in that final start was also following up an abbreviated outing, but a really sharp one against the Phillies in Citizens Bank, where he struck out six allowed one run over four innings. Then he followed with the six perfect eight strikeouts Jared Jones one of the more talented arms in the league. Like, it's a fastball slider combination that is disgusting, and since he's returned, has had a better feel for the change up in the curveball than when we saw him first break into the big leags. But the fastball slider combination was good enough where he could just overwhelm with that. I think that Jared Jones has the pieces and the talent to be, you know, the top thirty arm in this game if it all clicks. So when you have a guy like that in this rotation where we already know Brax n Ashcraft is great and Skeens is a big question too, like in terms.
Speaker 3: Of just can he get back to what he was?
Speaker 4: But to me, I'm like, I'm just gonna I'll die on the hill of like if Skeens, if it doesn't work with him, the.
Speaker 3: Season's over, Like it is what it is.
Speaker 4: But I'm going to always have the optimism that Skeens is going to get himself right and if he doesn't, it's because of an injury most likely. So if Jared Jones can pitch to his abilities, and I think just getting further removed from TJ will help him do that. I mean, and Skens is anything close to what we've been accustomed to seeing with him. That is one of the better three headed monsters that you have in Major League Baseball. Like, that's how good I think Jared Jones can be. So he's a huge variable here because yeah, Bubba chan where Mitch Keller? Like, I think Bubba can be a lot better And I think Mitch Keller can be less bad.
Speaker 3: If those are your four and five, you're fine.
Speaker 4: If the top three guys are what they could what they're you know, possible of being able to do. So that's where I go, And I think that can really be, you know, a shot in the arm for them.
Speaker 1: The only thing that you said that I disagree with is can Mitch Keller be less bad? We haven't even seen second half Mitch Keller yet. He had been a disaster and basically every single season this time around, he had a bad first half. Is he going to right those wrongs this time or have we not even seen the worst of Mitch Keller? And Big E brings up another good point in the YouTube comments section, ben Cherrington buying in the deadline season bring back I kf, Jalen Beeks and Brian day La Cruz. That's another burning question that I have for the Pirates, like do they just bring in supplemental pieces that are really boring and do absolutely nothing, or do they actually buy here? Because I think even if Paul Skeens is good not great, and let's say Jared Jones is good not great, this team can still hit, this team can still play. I mean, they're right in the thick of it, and they've sustained injuries to Connor Griffin, sustained the injuries to O'Neil Cruz and Spenser Horowitz, and their entire rotation has not been healthy all year, and yet they are still in the wild card race. So does Ben Charrington actually buy I don't want crap, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't want I would want to move.
Speaker 1: I don't want them to pick up things from Lost and Found. I want them to actually spend money.
Speaker 4: Well, the move that the move that he made to go get Jacob Gonzalez and Brett and Eyert, I think is more aggressive than anything he's.
Speaker 3: Done in years. Yeah, that's a good point that Compey pick. So hope hopefully it's a sign of more to.
Speaker 1: Come absolutely, let's go over to the Cincinnati Reds. And I went first, last time, go ahead.
Speaker 3: With the Cincinnati Reds. Who goes? Who do they move? Because this is a team that is a clear cut seller at this point.
Speaker 4: I think, and like, barring a crazy run over the next few weeks, they're sellers. So you're not trading Allie, You're not trading sal You're obviously not trading Hunter Green Chase Burns. Then I think it's wide open, right like could you cash in on a JJ ble day?
Speaker 3: Do you does anybody bite on Genos Whare has no chance? I don't think do you cash in on? Cash in is a strong word on the Tyler Stevenson. I think Spencer Steer a lot of teams.
Speaker 4: With how many teams need right handed bats, I think Spencer Steer is going to attract teams. He could play like every position. They're not going to play that well. He's kind of like well Castro, but you play almost every position. I think a lot of teams would love to bring Spencer's hearing. I'm just curious what the retooling looks like for this Reds team. If Nicodolo comes back and rattles off a few sharp, healthy starts could he go. I think the Reds need to shake this thing up a little bit. I think Nick Crawl has not done a very good job obviously, even over the last couple of years. But I'm just very, very curious to see who they do end up moving, assuming that they are definitive sellers.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Abbot could be on the move too. I agree. I think that that is kind of the one burning question. Another one that I had is more team related, and I feel like we should start having some real second half auditions for a couple of players. Matt McLean has simply been bad ever since his short stint. Is a rookie, and how much longer is Matt McClain just going to get consistent every day run in this lineup. And I think Noelvie Martes he had the eighty game PD suspension. He's had short spurts where you're like, holy shit, Noelvie Barte is awesome, and then it's awful spurts, right, I think it's too early to have a real second half edition. For Edwin Arroyo, you got called up recently. He's not even twenty three yet. That one is more just I'm excited to see what he does in the second yeah, like play him, yeah, exact round an audition. I think McLain and Weelvie Marte are like, if you can't turn it around, now, we got to make some changes, yep, because they have just been consistently bad for now a long time and they're getting consistent run here and you know there's a couple other guys too, and they have good prospects that could come up and potentially help them. I just think those two I got my eyes on you, and I'm sure the Reds do too, because at this point, how much longer can we go about this?
Speaker 4: I agree, and I think this is the final, Like this is where you get your clarity to go into next offseason and say this is.
Speaker 3: We got we got to change something, and we got we got to shake some things up.
Speaker 1: And even Cabrian Hayes, what do you do? Because I think, funny enough, Armle, Let's say he has a decent second half, he's gonna start a third next year, right, If he has a bad second half, he won't. So I think that's technically a audition, even though I feel like we know the answer to him more than the other guys.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, it's just it's crazy when you got Souths start playing third base in the All Star Game and then you went out, you know and traded for Kybrian Hayes a year ago. Like it's it's one of more head scratching moves. And that's another. I have no idea what they're gonna do with him. For those who may not be keeping track, he is under contract until twenty twenty nine oh seven million, seven million, eight million, eight million, then a club option for twelve million that, barring a miracle, will be declined in twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't I don't know what Cabrian Hayes is going to do. What I do know is I'm going to be eating some Hampton Farms peanuts after this podcast refuel seven grams of protein per serving before we get to the National League East podcast. P let's hear one more time from our friends at Hampton Farms.
Speaker 4: Just Baseball's number one ranked peanut prospect is none other than the Hampton Farms in shell peanut hit tool plus plus that crack of the shell is elite power easy plus seven grams of protein per serving makeup great source of fiber in America's number one in shell brand. This is a five tool snack future value eighty grade. Get the top peanut prospect in the produce aisle or twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot Com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot Com.
Speaker 1: One burning question for every team in the National League. We move over to the National League East, which features the Braves, the Phillies, the Marlins, the Nationals, and the Mets. I'll go first arm with the Atlanta Braves atop the division. What does Spencer Schwellenbach look like when he comes back? Because when you look at the Braves right now, I have no questions about Chris Sale. Chris Sale is freaking awesome. Then everybody else, I got questions about Owen Murphy. They just got called up. He threw four innings, looked pretty good. They got Grant Holmes, who's been kind of that stable arm in the rotation, has given them eighty seven innings, but he's not really a top end guy. And then you have Rainaldo Lopez, who you know, who knows what he can give you. I know he's given you solid productions. So if our underlying metrics say, don't expect that for the rest of the season. And then you have Bryce Elder, who again can be an innings eater, but you don't expect him to be at the top of the rotation. And Spencer Strider, of course, is dealing with elbow inflammation, and even when he was on the field, he did not prove he can be a really, really solid number two. But Spencer Schwellenbach should be back in August. And when Spencer Schwellenbach is on, he is one of the best young arms in Major League Baseball. I know Podcast P is in love with Spencer Schwellenbach considers him one of the better overall pitchers in Major League Baseball. I know you're a huge fan. I'm a huge fan. How could you not be? You know, he started thirty eight games in his career. He's thrown two hundred and thirty four innings to a three two three ERA with a three two seven fit, doesn't walk anybody, strikes out a batter per inning command, top of the line, really really good pitcher. Do the Braves have their number two back or do they not? That's my burning question for them.
Speaker 4: Mine was the same thing, just kind of extrapolated or just like extended out a little bit more, which was just, you know, how did the injured arms return? Because I look at Arson Waldrip and I think he plays a big part in their their whole deal as well, because I think what Waldrop showed prior to injury in the end of last year and just talking to him about that, like the arsenal tweaks and what he had been able to develop, to be able to more ground balls pitched a week contact, still have that splitter in his back pocket, but not be so one dimensional where it's just fastball splitter and it's a flat fastball. Now it's a detailed arsenal with the sinker, with the cutter, with the slider at the curveball to all work around. Still an elite splitter has made him really good. And we saw two a to Adra in fifty six and the thirds innings last year. And is he that good? Probably not, but I think he's a mid threes guy and it can be really effective for them. And you pair that with Schwellenbach with whatever you get from Strider, and this team's outlook is a whole lot different, and their deadline needs are a whole lot more attainable, and you don't have to go as crazy trying to abid with everybody on arms, and you can maybe go get some of the bats that you need, or just allocate all those resources to one big arm that you want. It makes things easier when you've got more pieces, obviously, And I think that's the name of the game here with the Braves, and it's a couple guys coming back from the same thing, right loose bodies. We've seen arms come back and be successful pretty quickly, so I think it's a fair fair question.
Speaker 1: I also think it makes alex Anthopas alex Anthopolis's life difficult considering the timing of when Schwellenbach returns is going to be post deadline. So do you run the risk of not adding a big time starting pitcher expecting that to be Schwellenbach when he returns, and then let's say he falters, then what or does he say Let's pretend Schwellenbach is not returning at all. Of course he is, but we need to add a really strong number two. We've seen them linked with the Red Sox with Sonny Gray. Now we have no idea if the Red Sox sell at all, but clearly they are in the market looking for a strong number two. So it's not even just about Schwellenbach. It's what Alexanthopolis does. Considering his return is after the break or after the deadline? Excuse me, I think that makes it difficult.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Waldrop comes back I think before that. So like you have one maybe kind of answer. But the bigger question with the best, you know, the more talented arm is you gotta wait and see. And yeah, there's gonna be a lot to try to decide and sift through.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to the Philadelphia Phillies. I started with the Braves. You're up first, what do you what do you got?
Speaker 4: But the Phillies can Dave Dombrowski find his right handed bat, and a lot of teams out there want that right handed bat.
Speaker 3: I think you could argue.
Speaker 4: That the the Phillies needed as bad as anybody. Yeah, you don't like Abillies Garcia, if he's even available, I still don't like him.
Speaker 3: So I just don't know. I don't know when you'll get that lineup.
Speaker 4: There's not much to get excited about from the right side.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Trey Turner. We've talked about how frustrating he's been. He's gonna get the.
Speaker 3: Run all your one.
Speaker 4: Alcolm has been a lot better, but it's still a seventy three WRC plus on the year.
Speaker 1: J C.
Speaker 4: Real muteso he's his seventy six WRC plus the right he's in that line up. I'm not gonna I can't do the math immediately, but I'll estimate when it's a seventy six, seventy three and seventy four, it's going to be somewhere around the seventy four range right, so that all of the righting's in that lineup around seventy four to seventy five WRC plus. Hey, that's the starters. Like you know who's raising that number, Derek Hill since he's put on a Phillies uniform. So it's really rough from the right side here, and you run into a good left handed arm, you're gonna be in trouble, especially in the postseason, which is where we expect this team to be able to be as good as If Zak Wheeler gives you a seven shutout, doesn't matter if the lefty opposite of him also does. So they got to find that right handed back I think more than anybody, and knowing that a lot of teams also need need that, I'm just curious to see if if Dobrawski can pull it off.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And my question is along those lines. It's about a right handed hitter in the Phillies lineup. And we've been asking this question all season long. And the reason we've been asking this question is, don't expect the Phillies to really dominate in the playoffs if this guy doesn't bounce back in the second half. Can Turner bounced back and not be a complete traffic cone like he's been for the first half of the MLB season, Because we're not just talking about the offensive numbers where he's got a six thirty nine ops and he's hitting two thirty six. We're talking about being a traffic cone defensively as well up the middle at shortstop. You know, Hembo came on and says he doesn't think that he's a true shortstop. Well, whether you agree or disagree with Mbo, he's got a play shortstop right. I don't think they're going to be in the market adding a big time shortstop in order to replace Trey Turner. Trey Turner is the shortstop for the rest of the season. And if Trey Turner continues to play like this, like a below average player, don't expect much from the Phillies in October. I know that Wheeler, you know, could maybe within the cy Young this season if he gets to one hundred and seventy egs, which I know is going to be really, really hard, But that's just how well he's pitching. I know Christopher Sanchez is awesome. I do worry about him slightly. We'll be honest with you. I still think he's awesome, But is he the lead of the elite that he was at the beginning of the season. We'll see. And Lozardo is great, like they have a three headed monster in the rotation presumably, and they have Schwarper, and they have Harper, and you even have Boone playing better. But if Trey Turner at the top of your lineup is an auto out, the Phillies are an auto out. He's not important to the Philly success, so they need him to pick it up or else it'll be another year of or Wheeler pitching well and Sanchez pitching well, and maybe even Lozardo pitching well, but then the offense scores a run and they lose and the pitching won't matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then the other one for me was just Brandon Marsh, Like, can the bab at God continue to just do what he's doing because they need I mean, we talked about lineup length concerns. That's with Brandon Marsh having a breakout season, so they need Marsh to continue to do what he's doing this year too.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to the Miami Marlins. I'll go first, because my guess is you've been doing a lot of more team related ones. Mine is more player focused. I am just fascinated to see what ury Perez's second half looks like because at the end of May right leading into June, he only allowed two earn runs. I know, his ten innings, but he only allowed two earned runs. And then at his first start in June he throws a seven inning perfect game, and then or excuse me, this is in July, so the other ones were ending. But basically, over his last four starts, he's looked great. Like. He gave up two earned runs in his last start before the break, and that was one of his worst starts. In a while, all the talent in the world, Like, I feel good about Sandy at least being above average, right, I think he's gonna give you his classic seven innings three runs every start. I feel really good about Max s Meyer, who is named an All Star, Like feel better about him. Eury Prez has shown he could either be a four inning, five walk for earn run guy or the most talented pitcher in the division in terms of just raw tools from a guy that young. What do we get from him? Because also the Marlins they need him, right, you look at everyone beyond Ury not a loot to hang your hat on. I think he's massive for the Marlins success moving forward in the second half.
Speaker 4: Well, if he's throwing the way that he's been throwing, I mean that now, all of a sudden, your three guys at the top, Like that's that's as good as as just about any team like you if you have Max Meyer continuing to throw the way that he's throwing, with what Yuri can do when he's on, like Sandy's your three, Yeah, And if Sandy's your three, you're in a pretty good spot. And I think that's that's the exciting part there with the Marlins. I think that's a big one. I think the other part of it is for a team that you know has been able to maneuver the bullpen this year, the way that they have, it's pretty shocking considering that they have arguably the worst closer in Major League is Fall so far this year and Pete Fairbanks, And so for me, it's can.
Speaker 3: Pete Fairbanks figure it out?
Speaker 4: I just don't see how you can be a playoff team with your closer having a six' eight THREE, era and even in the saves that he does pull, off it's like, strikeout warning track, flyout warning track fly, out like oh my, gosh that was a close, one or it's a two run lead solo, shot warning track, flyout warning track fly, out ground. Ball it's been rare to see a clean save From Pete, fairbanks even when he does do. THAT i think that's going to catch up to this team at a certain. POINT i JUST i don't know how you can survive as a team that needs to do everything right on the margins when your, closer you, know is a liability and a significant.
Speaker 3: One and it also gets to a point.
Speaker 4: Where if he continues to be a, liability do you relegate him from that.
Speaker 3: Role who's the?
Speaker 4: Closer Calvin fauche is As jackal And hyde as anybody in majoraguase because you walk six per.
Speaker 3: Nine Michael peterson's probably your.
Speaker 4: Closer HE'S ao If Pete fairbanks goes, down WHICH i love What i've seen From Michael, peterson but this guy's just figuring it out at thirty two years.
Speaker 3: Old you're going to thrust him into the closing role for.
Speaker 4: A team that's in the you, know in a, Playoff, haunch that's a big one for. Me they Need bender. Back you, know he's been banged, up AND i think that even only adds to. It bender's, Hurt king's. Hurt you Need Pete fairbanks to be the guy that you paid thirteen million dollars, for which The marlins don't. Do so that's my biggest one with them is you, know how does he? Look and, yeah And Big mike is banged up even. TOO i don't know how long he's gonna be, out if he's gonna be, Out so there's a lot of wrinkles to.
Speaker 1: It and what The marlins are going to do with the. DEADLINE i, mean let's say they play five hundred baseball until, then, right they're fifty two and forty. Five right, now over the next ten games they go five and. Five there's still seven games above five. Hundred how can you constitute. SELLING i canna understand buying in selling at the same, time but how can you do that to the? Fans if you're seven games above five hundred and you have one of the best records in The National, league how can you then tell your fans like what needs to happen for you to finally? Buy AND i understand that they're a head of, schedule but, Again i'm just fascinated to see what they do with the.
Speaker 4: Deadline, YEAH i don't think they sell unless they, completely like the wheels completely completely completely fall.
Speaker 3: Off but even their.
Speaker 4: Buying is going to be just it's not going to be. Buying it's it's like trading like it's it's it's going to be big league and maybe a filler prospect for big league because they want to preserve this farm system that admittedly like they have, talent but IT'S i don't think it's as good as they want it to. Be the farm, System SO i think that's part of their. Apprehension you got to be really careful that when you're subtracting from a big league team that has a really good thing going right now to try to also improve that big league. Team and that's where it becomes. Fascinating SO i think that's the other big question. TOO A, matins who have been pretty transparent about the fact that they are open to moving big league pieces to address a need on the big league. Team you gotta be careful with that because sometimes you can disrupt something that's working really.
Speaker 1: Well moving over to The, nationals what's your one burning question for?
Speaker 4: Him CAN c J abrams sprint through the finish?
Speaker 3: Line Because James wood's a. SUPERSTAR i feel good About.
Speaker 4: James wood being what he, is right and then you're gonna have your turbulence with a player Like James. Wood but at the end of the, DAY i think everyone's pretty comfortable that this is a superstar type of. Player Cj abrams is on pace to do some really special things this. Year he was on pace to do some really impressive things last year as. Well now he is comfortably better than he was even through the really good stretch that he had last. Year, ready he has more homers this year than he had last, year but we saw him be great and then fall off a cliff a little. Bit right he's on pace to driving one hundred and twenty, Runs he's on pace to hit thirty five, homers he's on pace to steal almost thirty. Bags this could be a really special year for a guy in his age twenty five. SEASON a lot of indications could just point towards him being just growing into himself and reaching and starting to tap into the prime right forgot that was rushed to the major. LEAGUES i think this is important BECAUSE i don't. KNOW i think that at this point they're just going to ride it out with. Him because this national, team at, first my question was going to be, like you, know how close are they to be in Competitive and then that's another big part of, it like do they struggle in the second half and maybe makes us realize that they're further away than maybe we'd. HOPED i think they're closer than than a lot of people with, thought AND i think they've proven. That and no matter how the second half, GOES i think they'll slow down a little bit And i'll probably trim some pieces and That i'll only encourage the. SLOWDOWN i think we've seen enough to say that this is a team that could absolutely be wild card contenders next year and have a lot of reasons to make. Additions but With, abrams it's like if he sprints through the finish, line it doesn't have the first half second half situation he had last year where he was an eight forty three ops in the first half and a six thirteen in the second half in his, career like that's something that he's done in his whole. Career it's just been a first, half second half. Thing twenty twenty four to twenty twenty Six Thank You podcast P eight forty three ops in the first, half six thirteen ops in the second. Half this is a guy THAT i think can solidify himself as a star in this game.
Speaker 1: As, well no doubt about. It my one burning question is about another player on The nationals who has not had a good first half and he really hasn't played well at, all but he's going to continue to get, run AND i he should continue to get more, run but at some point you have to start asking questions and that and my question is what Does Dylan cruz's second half look? Like it might be prize to learn That Dylan cruz has played one hundred and sixty THREE mlb. Games he's played a full. Season, now what do the numbers look? Like nineteen homers and thirty four steals sounds? Great is?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: No twenty five percent below league average? Offense so he's getting to your accounting numbers make it seem a little bit better than it. Is but it's not like he's playing all world. Defense he's not this all world base runner. Either and at this point he's twenty four years. Old there's still. Time not saying giving up on, him but WHAT i will say is if he has a bad second half and keeps sitting to a seventy FIVE wrc plus and racks up two HUNDRED mlb, games Does Paul taboni start to ask what do we got? Here is it? Anything AND i think that in the second half of The. Nationals, AGAIN i said it last, year AND i still think that's part of the equation right now is who's a part of the. CORE i think clearly they've Found James wood is a part of the. Core, yeah they clearly found. C. J abrams is a part of the. CORE i think there's still it's up in the air Whether Dalen lyle is, yeah And Dylan, cruz you hope, is but hasn't. Been that's my burning question IS i, mean you guys drafted him number two, overall you've given him run and nothing has. Transpired can it transpire in the second half or does it?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 4: Yeah, WELL i Think lyle is he's starting to get, going and just that the cruise, situation it's just he's got to show you some signs of.
Speaker 3: Life he didn't need to be, great just some signs of.
Speaker 4: LIFE i think that's probably the biggest question, mark AND i think could be the biggest shifter of like how much more optimistic we could be about The nationals next year if If Dylan cruz is starting to play at a higher level and settle into the big.
Speaker 1: Leaks did you see that report that was put out today by The Red sox guy who does the radio In spanish for, Them he said that The Red sox The nationals are having conversations About James Wood AND i saw the report and first of, all it was, like hold, on wait a, minute it's early in the. MORNING i haven't even had my coffee. Yet first of, all The Red sox are trading for a left handed.
Speaker 3: Outfielder, yeah WELL i don't think.
Speaker 1: So and then number, two The nationals are considering Trading James. Wood both shocked. Me but it did come out from a guy who conceivably is in the. Know i'm not saying it's going to, happen BUT i did want to bring it up to see if he saw, it if you had any.
Speaker 3: THOUGHTS i didn't see. It there's there's no.
Speaker 1: SHOT i.
Speaker 3: AGREE i don't think there's absolutely no.
Speaker 4: CHANCE i don't even think it's being. DISCUSSED i don't think that makes any. Sense that's pretty shocking to even come out. With to be, HONEST i JUST i hope Maybe i'm, wrong BUT i just it doesn't seem. Fathomable there's your segment On James wood to the boss Of Red. Sox all, right let's let's end with The. Mets i'll end.
Speaker 1: It i'll go. First my burning question for them is which of these young pitchers is going to step up in the second Half Because Zach, THORNTON i, think has looked pretty good so, far really ended the first half on a high, note going Seven shutty And Nolan McLean is kind of an up and down, overall though he's had a good season with a three five to two, era BUT i think both you AND i arm can agree that he could be better than. That Freddy peralt is as good as, gone so Can Christian scott continue to look? Good you, Know sean And iah? Gone then who steps up Is Clay holmes? Gone then who steps up is A Jonah tong when he makes his return to the. ROTATION i think The mets have to start to kind of figure out who of these young starters is going to be a part of their core next, Year like how do they build out a? Rotation because one thing about The, mets even in that eighty nine win season where they went to the playoffs and took The dodgers even to six, games it wasn't really because of the. Rotation it was because it kind of breakouts from, veterans right with The Sean maniah's of the, world The David peterson's of the, World like those pitchers were never really a part of their long term. Plan they just caught. Fire i'd like to see some arms in The mets rotation that are a part of the long term, plan AND i feel like outside Of nolan, McLain they haven't figured it out. Yet SO i think this second half when they trade Away, parlton maybe they trade Away. Mania they've already traded Away. Peterson these guys that they call it from the minor, leagues and even the guy's currently on the big league, roster who starts to establish themselves as a rotation piece for next.
Speaker 4: Year, yeah mine was Actually Christian scott as, well because there you, Go i've loved this guy as a, prospect AND i think that you look at the struggles in The mets system right. Now Jonah tongue has been bad In TRIPLE. A you've Traded brandan's, Broke, Right you're gonna Lose Freddie peralta in free. Agency you're probably gonna trade him before that, Anyways, right you are going to trade him before that.
Speaker 3: Anyways nolan McLain is your guy at the.
Speaker 1: Top but then WHO.
Speaker 4: I even look at some of the pieces that they have just just throughout the farm system THAT i was excited, about Like Jack WENNINGER i thought would have debuted by now command his.
Speaker 3: Regrets At TRIPLE. A so they really need a guy.
Speaker 4: To grab onto a spot and, say, Hey i'm a rotation piece for next. Year And Christian scott's provided plenty of flashes this, year reminding me why he was a top one hundred prospect FOR us and why he's a very important PIECE i think for The mets moving forward coming back from. Injury there was gonna be some rush to shake off after, surgery BUT i think the further he's been removed from, that the sharper he has. Looked AND i do think this is a guy that could be a solid rotation piece for.
Speaker 3: Them and they, sorely sorely need it as they get ready for twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Seven and then if they trade lindor just, KIDDING i don't think they're going to do. THAT i really am looking at this rotation BECAUSE i think it could be, good right If Christian scott steps, up If Jonah tong takes a next step and finds, it If thornton ends up being an arm for. THEM i, mean we got pieces here outside Of Noelan, McLean WHICH i think is the obvious. One but if none of them do, yikes yeah, right or if one of them, do LIKE i just want to, know AND i Think mets fans are pleading to know who is our rotation because if none of the young guys step. Up we got to go grab three arms in free agency next. Year, YEAH i don't think they want to do, that but we got a, trade so The mets are in an interesting. Spot and then, YEAH i think they got a lot to figure. Out and those are our burning questions for the second half for every team of The National. League don't Forget American league tomorrow again with arm AND. I hopefully everybody enjoyed this episode of The Just Baseball. Show thank you everybody who joined us here live on. YouTube the best way to support these YouTube live streams is to make sure to like and, subscribe and then for all those listening on audio after the, fact best way to support the show is by leaving a five star. Review the trade deadline is coming up and the discord is going to be a. Blast i'm also setting out SOME nfl future, soon so for anybody who's into the betting, space, prospects, trades, cards we got it all in the best baseball group chat in the. World if you want to sign, up you can find the link in the episode. Description if you want to get yourself Some Just baseball, Merch i'm rocking the. Hat go get yours at our Merch store, again which you can find the link in the episode. Description special shout out to PODCAST p for brilliant producing once again for Arm. Layton I'm Peter, apple see you tomorrow for The American. League and with, that thank you, everybody