Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Weekly Zeitgeist. Uh. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Uh yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. Yeah. That was the person who wrote my aka also, and I really correctly moments ago.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is a regional really really really.
Speaker 1: Shocked by that. My gli like, thank you for being a friend and for.
Speaker 2: Being for It's interesting. Miles is coming back so quickly. I was under the impression he wouldn't. And then he found out that I might be having an extended guest hosting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he was like, I think I keep.
Speaker 1: Apologize, he keeps feeling I mean, I don't know, I'm so sorry this is happening. And I'm like, no, what are you talking about. He's like, I mean Blake is the guest.
Speaker 2: He just Blake and everything. Yeah wait, I was mentioned first before everything tragedies.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, all right, that's Blake and everything else going on. Blake, We're always thrilled to have you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I think Miles just has the uh sickness called that dog in him, that grind set where he Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just like I saw his X rays and it's just a pit bull, just a sure pure beer bread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, Blake. We're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of our favorite guests, a brilliant anti racism educator, activist, writer, and creator of the acclaimed podcast White Homework. It's Tory Williams Douglas.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, thanks for having me. It's been like not that long. I know, flattery, but I got invited back Red and Smiles.
Speaker 4: That's awful. I would never I love Miles.
Speaker 1: That was the quickest go from saying something horrible jokingly to uh, yeah, I would never.
Speaker 3: Never, not to Miles, I would to other people. I guess, yeah, Jack, Yeah, Jack's kitchen strays for sure.
Speaker 1: Funk out of here.
Speaker 2: All the horrible things I've said about Miles recently, you know what I mean. Like, it's just the amount of ship I've talked on that guy, behind his back and to his face, everything, just.
Speaker 3: In public on podcasts. Yeah, I mostly just talked about Miles. It's most of my social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, editor, editor, Oh, so many letters to the editor, Tori, how's it going up in Portland?
Speaker 4: It's going.
Speaker 3: It's uh, you know, just mostly sitting here in the dark and the cold, feeling really bad for everyone in La honestly. Yeah, my my sister's down there. She thankfully didn't have to evacuate, but it was it was touch and go for a minute. So yeah, yeah, I'm just trying to like check in on all my people and you know, do what I can. But yeah, there's I'm like, I don't feel like there's anything going on in Portland compared to like there's snow in Atlanta and like La is still burning, yeah, and I'm just kind of sitting here, like how can I be helpful right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Atlanta gets those like every every once in a while, they get a snowstorm and like you hear the stories of people's cars being trapped on the highway for like three days. And I lived in Kentucky for a while and when there was any snow on the ground, it was like I mean, I mean the horses skidding around out there. No, we had cars, but the yeah, it just they they were not prepared. They had one truck that had just a you know, olive garden salt shaker that they would window and just sprink on the roads.
Speaker 2: And people would huge forearms just cranking salt into the road. There was I was in Minneapolis once for stand up and they had they were like, oh, tomorrow we're going to get three to four feet of snow. And I'm like, all right, well, I'm fuck. We're not gonna be able to get anywhere. And it's just nothing, nothing of them. Yeah, it's nothing, completely nothing.
Speaker 1: It will tunnel. They will build a city through tunnels of snow, just to yeah they did, it matters not to them. And then uh, and then some people are trying to build an entire like snow removal apparatus, like it's the first they've heard of snow every time that snows there.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get on this.
Speaker 1: Now. What is the Oh right, I've heard tell of this, I've heard tell of winter. Yeah. What is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are? I?
Speaker 5: I think this morning looked up who is the dacy girl from the Rihanna Bitch Better Have My Money music video? Because she had a dacy henchwoman who was like gorgeous, amazing whatever, And like I was like, what happened to her?
Speaker 4: And so I looked her up.
Speaker 5: Her name is Sanam Cindy, and she's still like doing stuff, still active. She seems awesome. I want to see her in more things. I don't know, that's what I looked up. Sometimes I'll have a memory from when I'm like a kid and felt representation and was like, what happened?
Speaker 6: Who was that?
Speaker 1: Who was that? Yeah? Just like wake up?
Speaker 2: Why was now the moment and not when you first saw the video?
Speaker 5: Oh? I did look her up, but then it's been like, however many years I was obsessed with her? And then but like I hadn't like thought about her in a while. And then some some like real popped up or something and it was like Rihanna made that song because she wanted her money, And I was like, I don't know this backstory, but what happened to that girl?
Speaker 4: Like what happened to her?
Speaker 1: I do love those explainer videos that have the most baseline obvious explanation. Yeah, so she actually really wanted to say money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were talking to you.
Speaker 1: I am depressed to admit that.
Speaker 2: Like on Amazon Prime, when when you pause it, it tells you all the actors in a scene, and it's so like obnoxious and idiotic, and I find it immensely helpful.
Speaker 5: That's like the pop up music video on v H one. Do you remember how I had all those pop up facts?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I love that. I would do that with every like animal actor. I'd be like, what's their backstory?
Speaker 4: What happened? Which phone is still alive?
Speaker 1: Right? What's this guy's deal?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Set right?
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: Put me on a set and I'll just be with the dogs in the corner.
Speaker 1: The dogs are I feel like always dead by the time I look it up.
Speaker 4: Don't say that you don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know by the time I look it up, which usually you know. I watch a lot of classic films, but yeah, I just feel I feel like they don't Like Frasier dog was like gone way too soon?
Speaker 4: How dare you? You better shut your mouth, Jack O'Brien.
Speaker 1: Wait, you thought he should have been dead sooner? Is that what we know?
Speaker 5: That dog is running out of a farm Upstates?
Speaker 1: You don't acknowledge the passing? Okay, gott I gotta get it. Yeah, yeah, what what do I know? So you you don't look it up? I got it? What is?
Speaker 5: Sometimes I text Jackieth like a picture of a dog from a movie, and I'll be like.
Speaker 4: He's probably still alive.
Speaker 5: Right, that happened in the seventies.
Speaker 4: No, and I'm like, we're breaking up.
Speaker 7: Fuck you?
Speaker 1: What Chris? Is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 8: Underrated? I would say, I can't remember what my idea was for this. It's it was gonna be. I think it was gonna be that it was on my audiobook was underrated again, just so I can promote it. It's done. Advice King Anthology is done, and yeah, and it took forever. And I don't know how anyone records an audiobook except to use AI because you have to have someone who can donate fifty hours of high quality studio time, which is the equivalent of making like fourteen indie rock records.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Like I don't know how that you know, Like the budget is like I don't even know have the budget of an indie rock band for this thing. So anyway, but it's done, and so that's underrated only because it's not even out yet, but also I need people to buy it because it's like ten it's gonna be ten bucks. It's hilarious. It's like three and a half hours of me doing stand up basically, I mean I can't read these columns without getting And my mom does the internation. Yeah, I mean, I'm just well, I'm just performing the columns like because they're like a lot of them are just straight up stand up except written, and so I had to. That's why it's it's gonna be fun. It's like a comedy album, and it's got some like serious stuff in it about depression and things like that, but it's it's gonna be a lot of fun. And my mom does the introduction because Tracy Moore, who wrote the introduction, she's a journalist out in Los Angeles, she couldn't do it. So it's like, oh, how great I am or whatever, you know, it's like a nice it's the introduction to the book, like, you know, who would be good at reading something about me that's like really positive. So I got my mom, who's eighty three, and she was so psyched to be in the studio and everything.
Speaker 1: And she, oh, that's great.
Speaker 8: She she rehearsed by reading. She's like, I need the book and I was like, I don't have a copy of it. She's like, I need the book to practice. So she was reading like obituaries out loud. The newspaper just toget her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how I get ready for this show every day.
Speaker 8: I never I never practiced anything in my life. So I was just like blown away.
Speaker 1: What, Chris, what something you thinks overrated?
Speaker 4: Overrated?
Speaker 8: Is this any news media right now that is covering any cable news Every single bit of it should be should be thrown out the window. I mean everybody knows that, but especially now because I'm so tired of hearing about these tech guys Muskin Suckerberg, and there's a small list everybody knows of my guests Larry Ellison, and and and Peter Tiel and all and and uh, you know they they're not They say, oh, they've accrued as much wealth as during the Gilded Age, or like, we haven't seen this much wealth. But this isn't a matter of wealth. This is a matter of power. And they keep discussing this without without mentioning the richest person in the world didn't own the news, The richest person in the world didn't couldn't meddle in in in government affairs in me and mar by shutting off or turning on Spacebook. These people have power unparalleled in human history. These people are kings of the whole globe. There wasn't even an inter connected globe until four thirty years ago. So the idea that they keep getting discussed, well, it's getting really bad, getting really bad talking about this in terms of money. This is it. This is power on levels that have never been seen before. And I'm so sick of hearing it being discussed in comparison to the Gilded Age, when all you could be was like the meanest guy on the block, and you could have the biggest tower and stand around in it and be mean to your you know, immediate surroundings. But you couldn't like try and overthrow the government of England with tweets. Yeah, I mean, you just couldn't think to be you could yell at stable boys. That was what the old.
Speaker 1: Their stable boys. I mean, sure, I'm not.
Speaker 8: I'm not listen. I'm not saying that was okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Biden coming through at the end of his thing and being like, guys, some of these tech oligarchs are bad news.
Speaker 8: I think I'm glad you brought that up. I can't even I can't even process that. How can anyone process that?
Speaker 1: After like a record? And I'm like, I think there was one person with one hundred and fifty million dollars before he started, and now there's like eight of He even.
Speaker 8: Raised the corporate tax right when he was in office.
Speaker 1: No, he did nothing.
Speaker 7: That's the way.
Speaker 8: That's what I mean. Yeah, I mean, how's anyone And then we're not talking about the fires? You know, I'm sure you guys have talked about it to death and you're also living through it, and I'm I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry. It's so horrible. Yeah, and on top of all that shit, to have a guy saying stuff like that, who's the president of the United States, I mean, how much can people take? That's what I mean. It's like these, these these giant megaphones need to be turned off or we're never gonna be okay again. We're not gonna ever be okay again unless we turn these fucking things off. I remember there was a Hunter Thompson's fear loading in Las Vegas. He had a funny passage. I never forgot where he was saying. There was a machine on the Vegas Strip where for five dollars they could they would project you like one hundred feet tall on the side of a building and you could yell anything you wanted at Las Vegas, and he was saying this.
Speaker 1: He was saying, how insane that was, how sold he was of like making drugs and then seeing like some random.
Speaker 8: Let random people scream at a whole city.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what I mean, we have we have you know, that's to take innovation of the past fifty years.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's just that's what's over overrated is talking about things in content in ways that are not only I don't know if they're obfuscating, if are these people are too in the system to even understand. Oh, it is either just as wealthy as the as the Gilded Age. I mean they can have as many carriages as they want. I mean they can have you know, like, that's not what's happening anyway. That's that's all just occurred to me.
Speaker 1: It's just I just found out about this today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's just it's not comparable to any guilded Age.
Speaker 7: It's not.
Speaker 1: And they're richer than anybody in the guilded Age guild a lot.
Speaker 8: Yeah exactly. And I they keep saying that, so I'm like, oh, and they're like, yeah, that's not that much different than you know, we'll be Yeah, that's and that's the message that you're supposed to calm the fuck down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Really, ultimately, what is something? Do you have anything he thinks overrated or just too underrated?
Speaker 4: Well, this is cool because this is movie related. So I'm glad that click Caitlyn's here because I want to know what she thinks about this. I think very recently I've decided Harmony Karen is overrated.
Speaker 1: And here's why.
Speaker 4: He's been like paling around Miami with Jared and Ivan Ivanka, like him and his wife, they're going to like Zionist fundraising stuff all this, like like hanging out with basically the worst people in Miami. And he started a skateboard company called called edge Lord, which he is an edge lord and unfortunately they have like interesting skateboarders on there. But it made me rethink all of his movies where I was like, if you've seen Gumo he wrote kids, He's like this kind of like he's this art house tour guy.
Speaker 1: Bring Breakers was that the name of that movie? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Breakers?
Speaker 7: He directed.
Speaker 6: The other one of his I've seen is beach By and between spring Breakers and beach Bomb two of my least favorite movies of all time. So I'm fully in agreement with you mort about him being overrated. I think he sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there's like, have you did you see Gummo?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't see that one.
Speaker 9: Yes, you see his early stuff he has he actually there are aspects of his filmmaking which are kind of masterful, like in some ways he's able to make some stuff really beautiful. But all that stuff is like this very shocky, like it'll be like this really strange looking sort of boy in a bathtub, like eating spaghetti. It's this very But now I look at it and I'm like, wait, do you just hate poor people? Like is this like all of this just supposed to be like this is this spectacle with no heart or capacity for caring? Like it's a very I don't know.
Speaker 4: I already was like really on the fence, and now I'm like, oh, he might be just like have been evil the whole time. But he is really funny on Letterman. That's the only thing about him.
Speaker 1: I need to go back and look at the Letterman interviews because otherwise not not a fan based on what I've heard so far and the kids. The script I feel like is not the thing. It's not is not What's Cool about Kids.
Speaker 6: I barely remember that movie. So I'm seeing that Harmony Krinn has a child named Lefty Bell.
Speaker 1: Lefty Bell.
Speaker 4: That's probably like a reference to like a silent film star or something, I imagine, just the way that he rolls, I don't.
Speaker 1: Recalling his skateboard company, Edge Lord is pretty on the nose. But I guess nothing he does is not on the nose, right, It's pretty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just a whole weird thing. I don't like it, Yeah, man, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like this. I don't like when right wing stuff happens in skateboarding. It makes me feel very icky. Feels Yeah, what is the what's the scene? And we got more our man on the street for skateboarding here, our skater on the skateboard beat. What's the vibe?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 1: I mean, we've seen at least Nate Silver is telling me there's been a vibe shift everywhere across a social media and a lot of different subcultures towards the right. Is that happening in skateboarding? It feels like kind of anathema for sure.
Speaker 4: What's up, Jack, I'm here talking to a lot of teens out here on the skatebeat and these teenage boys and gals there. Look, skateboarding can be. It's it's like a guitar or something. It could be used in any capacity you want it to be. The really cool thing is that there's been a huge growth on the opposite end of this, which is like there's like a lot of LGBTQ plus skateboard, a lot of queer skateboarders, at least two queer owned skateboard companies, and a lot more like women and non binary people in skateboarding who are making it way better. Like it's they're doing this really interesting A bunch of them like rip, like they're really really good, and then some of them are doing this thing where they're like we don't care if we're good, and that's really important because skateboarding, you know, it's been fourteen year old boys for most of its most of its entirety, right, so there's this there's this kind of a little bit toxic rule, you know, thing that happens there. So aspects of skateboarding actually had actually shifted way towards the left, which.
Speaker 1: Is so necessary.
Speaker 4: And then there's these small sections of people who like say that who's the.
Speaker 1: There's this dude. Damn it, I can't remember.
Speaker 4: Well, it's actually good that I can't remember his name. This like right wing podcaster guy who is like a terrible pop punk band and also claims to be a skateboarder. He does skateboard, but luckily he has awful style. I'm forgetting his name, but.
Speaker 8: He was fully was.
Speaker 4: He's the guy who was being funded by Russia. Like there was an ext tho day where all he's one of the main dudes, and you're like, yeah, of course he was.
Speaker 1: That's wild. Yeah, it really is just fucking Russian money and billionaire libertarians all the way down. That's the all that's all you need to do is be like, yeah, fuck it, I'm right wing and there's suddenly a money truck arrives at your house.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually, this idea that like cool, I'm hit, brother, it's such lack of I'm not a cop dude, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah exactly, And it's like working in some places, a lot of these fucking influencers are just like, yeah, it's actually, what's cool is thinking this Republican president is cool and edgy. Yeah shit, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back, we'll talk about ultra processed foods.
Speaker 7: We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: And let's let's talk about the two worst guys, two of the worst guys that Trump nominated for to control major parts of the world. First, Pete Hagsath his confirmation hearing to be what is it, secretary of Defense. That's a big one, right, that's a pretty's up there. Yeah, so he was nominated to be Secretary of Defense. A bunch of stories immediately flooded out from people who had worked with him, both sides of the you know, former military people, existing, current military people, not like left wing journalists doing like hit pieces, just anybody who's encountered him being like his mom, Yeah, his mom for instance, talking about you know, instances of sexual assault, racism, open alcoholism on par with like a cartoon alcoholic, like like having to be carried out of places constantly. Like the only thing that's lacking is like he never, as far as I've been able to find, and I've looked into it, he never hiccupped a bubble that then carried him away into the sky. But everything else that like a cartoon drunkard does.
Speaker 2: The thing he drinks out of just has xes on a big jug, a big jug of xes.
Speaker 1: Fortunately he did promise to stop drinking if he gets the job. I love that that That's always worked anytime somebody's had a substance for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, this thing has a that has a complete hold over me and my life that I also love to do. Apparently we'll just stop doing it if I get this really important job. Cold turkey.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, his so at first it seemed like he might go the way of Matt Gates, who are about to get to who you know, had to be withdrawn as a nominee for Attorney General. And but then they were like, not too, that would make President Trump look bad, So we can't. We can't let two of them go down.
Speaker 3: So suddenly they're going to make him go through with it and take all the heat.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, and he is going to get like That's something that I feel like has been missing from a lot of the coverage of this. At least I'll just give the full context. I think I think there's been like there hasn't been somebody who got to this stage where you're doing like Senate confirmation hearings and was not confirmed since I think George W. Bush's administration, and that's like there's a lot of cabinet members who are who go through this process and they're batting a thousand since George W. Bush's administration. Like, once you get to this point, it's really hard to stop the peak train, which is I don't know, like the way it's being reported is like this guy's like a an underdog, and it's like, no, it would be shocking. I mean, it would obviously be deserved if he got not able to do this job, because it seems like everybody who like took a objective look at him, like including Republicans, were like, whoa, no, no, no, no, no, god, god, what is that? Senator?
Speaker 2: He should be on trial, like not a confirmation hearing, he should be sentenced.
Speaker 1: I guess the one thing that you know you can take some sawce in is the like, yes, it's very uncommon for people to not be confirmed by the Senate.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Granted he is an uncommonly bad nominee, like just truly everybody, you know, the people who are currently backing him like he is the best pick possible. When they were told about it were like who the fuck is that? WHOA what the guy from Fox News who says stuff that is like controversial for Fox News is going to lead the fucking US military. But yeah, so he's an unprecedentedly bad pick. The Republicans are unprecedentedly on board with the Trump cult. So I'm personally not on the edge of my seat over here. But I don't know what how are you guys feeling?
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like it's good to remember that Trump had a ninety two percent turnover rate for his first term, so he saith isn't going to last even if he gets confirmed. Crazy, you know, Like I just I just I think he's going to be one of the first to go. I think you're right, it probably will get confirmed, because I feel like they are they are kind of in that panic mode of like, oh, we can't lose another we can't let another ship go down here, right. But I think that it's so Pete's energy is so antithetical to like top brass military to me that I don't think I think those people are going to have a hard time taking him seriously.
Speaker 2: Right, You want to know he wants to be trusted with military secrets. Blowoutcohol just a cartoon drunk like yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Has to be carried from place to place. I mean yeah, I will say it does. Reading history books, a lot of the military brass themselves like also, yeah, good stiff, a stiff drink in the self medicated.
Speaker 3: I think a lot from some trauma let's say, right.
Speaker 2: Right, yea Grant was had a dry Yeah yeah it was.
Speaker 1: There was like, yeah, like this guy, he doesn't try to stop drinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just like us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say, you know, Trump's first administration, he didn't think he was gonna win, didn't really want the job, it seemed like at first, and so he wasn't like making picks that would be a fit for him, like as we talked about, like his first administration was a group of people around him basically trying to insulate the world from how bad a president he was. And now he's nominating these people who are seen as bad picks because they will do the sorts of shit that Trump will ask them to do. So I don't know that it will be like that quick a turnover. I like it will I hope. So. I hope it's as like it's going to be incompetent, But is it going to be incompetent just from a like what it does to the world, or will it be incompetent in the sense that like nobody can agree with one another and everybody keeps getting fired and quitting like the first time around, which would be by far the preferred outcome. But it does just seem like they're at least a little bit more like that because his choices are coming from loyalty, like that being the only value that he's doing. I do wonder if like he's going to be like as these people are ending the world, like he's he's gonna be happy as a clan because you know, they're doing what he told him to do.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that yeah, that reminds me that like heg Seth is connected to this like cultist preacher out here my way. He's actually in Idaho, Doug Wilson, Oh who, Yeah, who's in Moscow, Idaho and is just like a really horrible person but like has a lot of his theology is pretty fucked up, Like he's very he's like very like misogynistic as like a point of like as like a theology is like a theological point but also like the Bible is pro slavery, so I am pro slavery. Like that's how fucked up this dude is. So he like says these things out loud, and like this is the dude that like heg Seth considers to be like a spiritual mentor or whatever. So like I'm not not I'm not saying I'm not scared.
Speaker 4: I'm very scared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like the influences in a heg Seth's life that he's chosen are malicious people who want to harm others. Yeah, you know, like like even setting like the Trump loyalty piece aside, Like he has these really sort of horrific influences that he's chosen, clearly chosen to have in his life. And so you know, I think that like he could potentially do a lot of damage. But he also he's just not He's he doesn't have any of the like law and order energy that I feel like the military sort of expects, right, which is seems weird. He just doesn't feel like a fit in the culture to me.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think maybe that's the reason. I mean, none of this will work out while he will be confirmed, but to try to be optimistic while there's still a brief window to be optimistic that he won't. I think that so it's no one being confirmed or sorry, everybody being confirmed since George W.
Speaker 1: Bush.
Speaker 2: I think also my hope is that, yes, he's the least qualified, event he's the worst candidate, but also it's very in your face how bad he is and how off I mean, even his energy, even if we're like reaching for that too, where he's on TV constantly, so it's not like you have to read an article to be like, hey, is this guy a piece of shit? Like you can just watch him pretty quickly. Yeah, And so I wonder if maybe that because of how readily available his whole image is. And I mean still no, because he's been nominated, everybody knows that he's been nominated, so he'll still probably be confirmed. But I do wonder if now because that stuff is so much more obvious that I guess, like, what's the difference between him and Gates is that people actually the Gates was a pedophile, you know, like, is that where we're drawing the line at this point? Maybe that was it?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I think it was the like the Gates report, which I feel like people have really kind of metabolized and moved forward with pretty quickly was like, yeah, he was paying for sex with children so for like a number of years and doing that and doing drug Yeah, I mean I wonder how much of it is also like drugs instead of alcohol, you know, where like alcohol, that's what that's what we expect legal like Nixon was hammered for most of his presidency. Yeah, but to your point, like his kind of weird youth and like right wing influencer groper ship, like it feels like a really bad version of like First Kid is First Kid the one where like a kid is president or is that just like the son of I forget which kid, but yeah, yeah, where it's just like what if this guy no no rule, says a Fox News host, can't be president, you know, can't be head of the military. Anyways, I need to go back. And if I seem distracted, it's because I'm trying to read the plot synopsis of First Kid, and it is always a little check. Yeah, that's right, all right, just really quickly over the weekend, I think some people were still waiting for this this outcome to be better news because Trump had his sentencing hearing for you know, he's a convicted felon. Now because he broke election laws in order to and and regular laws in order to be elected president first time around, a like Watergate level scandal that people just now taken stride. So the judge, Judge Juan Merchant's sentence came down and it was a quote unconditional discharge, which legal experts have pointed out is quote virtually nothing in terms of punishment end quote, which were the terms that I was interested in. The punishment terms was kind of what I was looking for in those terms. Could we get one? It turns out no, you cannot have a punishment because he is about to be president and the idea like he might be president from fucking jail, dude, Yeah, was never going to happen because of the way power and money work in this country.
Speaker 2: One of those phones like him, you know, doing press conferences through the little phone in the glass is just not yeah, feasible.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, because he's too cheap and those things cost a shitload of money thanks to private equity. That's actually true. The private equity industry took over those phone systems and like charge you like five dollars a minute to talk to your loved ones.
Speaker 2: From prison, or you could fight a fire. It's up to you. You want to talk through a phone or you can fight one of moose standerous fires.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Meanwhile, Jack Smith handed in his report and then promptly resigned from the Department of Justice. So you know is that true?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, this is so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. That's why it reminded me of Well, Trump was like, I'll fire him within fifteen seconds of taking office, so he knew he was gonna get fired. It's still like, I don't know, take the firing man. Like nobody was surprised by this, considering the Trump said he would fire him within seconds of taking office. But remember like the first administration when the first big national scandal was that he was willing to fire Komy because Kme was investigating him. Like it was like at first it was like he fired Komy and Komy's investigating him, that sure looks suspicious. And then he like went on an interview with Lester Holt and was like, yeah, I fired him because he was investigating me. I didn't like that too much, right, and everybody I still remember that being like the most like everybody was so outright age and like holy shit, like this is we finally got him right, like this is he just admitted to doing the most illegal thing, and then it was just like further like just made pointless by like a thousand more awful things he did right after that.
Speaker 2: He's tall and annoying. What am I supposed to do? He's tall and he keeps fucking looking into my things? But would you want someone like that working for you?
Speaker 1: But now people like preemptively fire themselves because there's no chance of there being any sort of outrage on behalf of like him firing, so it would just be like a win for him.
Speaker 3: I would still want I would still want to be like, yeah, Trump fired.
Speaker 1: Me, Like yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I feel like a.
Speaker 3: Person with integrity would have a great reason to be like, yeah, I fucking got fired by Trump. Give me a book deal, Like I feel like you could get something out of it, you know. And he was just like, oh, okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: Scared by Hey, look over there.
Speaker 3: You can't fire me.
Speaker 7: I quit.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. It's just a petty thing. As for the report, which is supposedly pretty damning, for anybody who doesn't isn't already accustomed to just like imagining the worst possible thing, and then that thing being true and then nobody giving a shit. Merrick Garland has been trying to release part of it publicly, but it's being held up by Trump's co defendants, who are saying, like, you know, they still might go to trial and they can't like release this report because it would be prejudicial against a jury that might eventually decide their fate. So interesting, So people are just saying Garland should drop the cases altogether since Trump's about to take office and that will free him to release the report anyways, or you know, who knows what Trump will do with it. But bad weekend for anything approaching justice in general, especially with regards to this administration. But there is that cool Mark Zuckerberg Joe Rogan interview, so well you can can all look at that.
Speaker 2: And you can, and if you listen to it multiple times, you hear new things each time. I found when you listen to it, so uh, yeah, it's not a one and done.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's colum.
Speaker 3: I don't have a lot of time. I got to listen to it on like two point five speeds, so I miss a lot actually so that I understand back and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Torri, we just met each other. You seem like someone who would love to listen to it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take notes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: It's easier for notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah mm hmmmm. He was talking about like the feminization of the workforce or something. I don't know he really was. Yeah, Zuckerberg, that's like what his whole thing. He's just like fully like been replaced by a maga chug like it's wild.
Speaker 7: I wonder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw people speculating as to whether he's getting divorced. I am curious how that's all going over in his household. Brutal anyways, brutal for him. I worry about their relationship.
Speaker 2: I know, brutal for the sanctity of marriage. That's what I was talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that, that theory is like, Oh, his wife, a billionaire, is going to be so mad at him.
Speaker 2: Probably hasn't seen him in two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've stopped counting on billionaires to have normal human emotions. Let's uh, let's take a quick break because I want to tell you guys about Lake Superior State University's words Banished words list, and also tell you that Lake Superior State University is a real university, which I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, if you say so, Jack, we'll.
Speaker 1: Take a quick break. We'll actually look into that. We'll be right back, and we're back and an R I P to David Lynch, who passed away yes day. He had emphysema, was completely isolated in recent years so that he wouldn't get more sick, but there was still hopes that he might direct a project remotely that you know, I'm not sure what he was working on at the end, but very very sad news.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was a big smoker, big smoker who I did like respect, you know, his statement about how much he loved smoking when he was like I'm dying now because of smoking. But and then just like wrote a like paragraph lung love letter to like smoke.
Speaker 8: Yeah he was part of the art, like.
Speaker 1: Smoke into his lungs and feeling it burned there and yeah I miss it. Yeah, it got that.
Speaker 8: It was part of the art life. And I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 8: I like the idea of an art life, you know, and also taking you know, like yeah, like we're all gonna die, Like you can do something that's bad for you if.
Speaker 1: You enjoy it, right, Yeah, and he certainly did and.
Speaker 6: Just the eating baby ham babies.
Speaker 10: Ham babies, I gain those are baby today. What's a ham baby? The baby is like a baby that's in the in the cake in the in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: No, it's a ham. So you know how like when you go to the grocery store if you want to get like ham cold cuts you, Yeah, they take a big they take a big hunk of ham. They call that a hand baby. They call that a large hambaby. Not in my not around no one on no we we just discovered that on yesterday.
Speaker 8: That's horrific. No one should call anything a hand baby.
Speaker 1: And the Boar's head line of like, you know, the conveyor belt of ham babies was getting clogged because too many defective ham babies were getting like you want to hold off?
Speaker 8: Then you want to know why more people don't listen to my podcast because the joke that just crossed my mind is the only thing that should be called a hamdbaby is when the parents met communicating on ham radio.
Speaker 1: And that's good stuff, right, you see what I'm.
Speaker 8: Saying, And that's why my podcast is only for certain people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the original sexting is sexual congress over ham Radio.
Speaker 4: I was wearing over over our tube top.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, so I don't know. There's just like good, good stories about him. Also like people I think, like, I don't know, everybody knows who David Lynch is, right, he made Blue Velvet And Mulholland Drive we talked about recently because it is the moana Io of great films in that it started as a TV show and then people were like, I don't know, nobody's gonna watch this as a TV show, and so they edited it into like what is considered one of the best movies of the twenty first century. Mulholland Drive is.
Speaker 8: Not the one with.
Speaker 1: Watt and it's the one the dumpster in the back of the yeah diner. Yeah, yeah, that's and it has the street Mulholland Drive in it. As the title might suggest.
Speaker 8: What's the what's that? You don't have to be that.
Speaker 1: Of Pico and thank you oh Man?
Speaker 8: So so that what's the movie with Robert the guy who may have murdered.
Speaker 1: His wife, Robert Blake Lost Highway?
Speaker 8: That one's good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that one. So people see his movies and they're like, this guy must be fucked up, this guy must be like a real dark person. And I just want to read this one interview from a reporter who visited the set of Blue Velvet, which was like his his movie that like was really kind of the mainstreaming of the David Lynch kind of esthetic and super dark and fucked up, and like when it came out, a lot of people were like reacted as if someone had committed a crime like.
Speaker 8: I saw when I was eighteen. I had no idea what the hell it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still hard to know exactly what it is. But it's a you know, a work of art, that's what that is one thing we can say, and not just because he smoked so many cigarettes making it. It's just unmistakably a vision of the country and the of one person. So somebody shows up. It's a movie with like fucking like just some brutal, horrible things happening. Ears and dirt. You know, it opens with somebody's like seventy ear and the dirt, and anyways, someone comes out. They're like, all right, this guy's gonna be real fucked up, and found him riding around set on bicycles with streamers fluttering from the handlebars, his pockets full of peanut eminems like that detailcle I, pockets full of peanut eminems like bordering on like what are you doing that those that are going to melt and be your hands must be like covered in like different colors candy coating all the time unless he just has the least sweaty hands of all the time.
Speaker 8: Also, he's going to make He's gonna make himself sick.
Speaker 1: Am I right? He the reporter said, David is a genuinely happy person, and this is one of the remarkable things about him. I've never met anyone as serene as he is. He's also a lifelong devotee to transcendental meditation. Right, So, I don't know, Caitlin, you're a film person.
Speaker 7: What are you?
Speaker 1: Lynch?
Speaker 6: I have a master.
Speaker 1: You are a film master. I'm sorry, and the rest of us are film people. You are a film master.
Speaker 6: I'm kind of a master.
Speaker 1: What are you a fan of Lynch?
Speaker 6: I would say, I'm not a fan. In fact, I tweeted something something to this effect a few years ago and absolutely got destroyed on the Internet. But I don't regret it because I stand by what I said. But I mean, I I like twin peaks. I haven't seen the more recent season that, like, you know, when they kind of revitalized it. But I liked the original series and I enjoyed Elephant Man because he directed that too.
Speaker 1: Those is one like kind of mainstream.
Speaker 6: So I like his like more normy stuff, and that just speaks to my taste, I guess, because I don't know what the fuck Muholland Drive is about. I've seen it many times and I just get frustrated because I'm like, I'm not smart enough for this. But then I'm also like, well, maybe the filmmaker it's not smart to So I'm dunking on David Lynch even post more, but either's stuff of his I liked. I'm sure I didn't finish his Dune, but it seemed wacky and fun, so I might go back and watch it.
Speaker 8: I DK yeah, I think also, I would imagine as a woman would probably be sick of hearing about David Lynch from dudes.
Speaker 4: Well that's what my tweet was about.
Speaker 6: I was like, I'm really I really resent. It was something like I resent like all the I don't know if I like made a gender specific and said like all the men or just like all the people who spent years trying to convince me that David Lynch was any good. So it was like a really bitchy tweet, I'll admit it, but listen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I'll tell you this guy happens the men too, Like, you know, like a certain type of man will confront you and be like have you seen the latest Lynch?
Speaker 1: You know, and you're like I had.
Speaker 6: I shall not name names, but there was a man comedian who I know, who like got furious with me to the fact that to the point where he was like yelling at me because I was like, yeah, I'm not that big of a David Lynch fan, and he got so like viscerally angry about that. Yeah, And so I'm like, Okay, calm down, everybody. But I'm sure he was a very nice person. And I love the image of him riding around on a bicycle with streamers from the handlebars and eminem's in his pockets. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And his documentary is about the documentary about him where they're showing him like booking, Like there's one where he's making phone calls and he gets like some celebrity to be in his movie and he's like.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, like he's like a star stuck too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like there's a lot of charming things about him. But yeah, I definitely have been cornered at parties and like grilled about David Lynch by like dudes who are trying to prove they were smart and it's going yeah, yeah. I told one guy I watched the new I remember I was at this party. It was kind of like a fancier party than I would usually be invited to in Los Angeles, and and there was a guy who's a director, like that's what people are saying he was, but I don't know what he directed, but he, you know, he was certainly wasn't like a director I'd ever heard of. But he was like had a bunch of tattoos, you know, And he was just like, have you seen the new Twin Peaks? And it had just come out and I was like, yes, I have, and he was like, you saw it. He's like the whole thing. I was like, he's like the whole thing because he had seen the whole thing, you know. But he was like he thought he'd gotten the jump on I guess humanity.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yes.
Speaker 8: It, and he just like didn't want to talk to me anymore, because I think he knew I was lying. I did eventually watch that, but I did had not then, and I just did not want to get into what was going to happen. If I said no, I hadn't seen it, that's amazing. I just couldn't even imagine what would happened next.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like and review the show. If you like, the show means the world demiles. He needs your validation.
Speaker 7: Folks.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday. Byett