Speaker 1: Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Santana Ma's Fred Smooth and the legend guy these own introduction, Gary Clark, and we're here at the Beauty in front of the best friends in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much out that's fantastic y'all doing and.
Speaker 1: So obviously it's very special having Gary Clark here, right. I mean to me, you're Washington Royalty, and the reason you're here is because it's awesome getting you around. But I also we're going to talk about getting back to RFK, and I figure there's no better person to have on to talk about some memories at RFK. And I don't know if you've got me. It was a long time ago. Can you kind of give us some light on what it was like playing there and some of your favorite.
Speaker 3: Playing a veritable pitch how it failed to walk in there and play a game because it's different than what we needed.
Speaker 2: No wire stadium, just take us there, if you could take us there.
Speaker 4: Well, first I want to let everybody know I parked all y'all's cars, all y'all's cars here. I made sure the shine was on it to make sure all y'all's cars were taking care of and nobody's messing with him because I am y'all bo, that's for sure. But no, I mean RFK, it was just a whole other thing, a whole other world, quite honestly. The fans were so dedicated. The stadium would rock, and we're playing well. What I loved about is too those when you weren't playing well, they let you know that too. They let you know when you're playing well, they let you know when you weren't playing well, you need to take it up a notch. But RFK was. I'm so happy that it's coming back to this area and coming back to DC.
Speaker 1: And so is there anything that you remember, you know, like the seat cushion game you got? You remember anything about that, like anything that kind of makes you feel some type of way about that gives you the woman fuzzies.
Speaker 4: I mean, that was a special season to start with. I think, honestly, I think that ninety one team maybe be the best team in the NFL history.
Speaker 2: In terms of VOTABO.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was. It was a special season, a special year. But again, you know, one fan through one seat cushion, the next thing you know, it was raining seat cushions, you know, and you should see everybody, every player just picked smiles on her face because you know, when those seat cushions came out, pretty much we already knew that that game was done, that game was won, and we're going to the next step, the next level. So I mean, Gary, He's Gary fans are the best.
Speaker 2: My man.
Speaker 5: I ain't gonna cut you off, Gary being a being a form of player for this franchise.
Speaker 2: And just I don't know how long you've been up here since.
Speaker 5: Since you you know, last played, but I remember having those conversations with you when I first got here. You told me, Tanner, you'll you'll be a food if you don't stay in this area when you're done.
Speaker 2: And I remember when I left and I was in school and I come.
Speaker 5: Back and you asked me where I was at, but not too chying too long on that. What is it like to just hear that it's a possibility that we might be getting back to, you know, bringing DC home, like because you know, we haven't had the experience Logan played that Logan played a college football college football game at RK. But what is it like just to hear that we have that possibility again, because like I said before, me and Fred never got the experience, and you Logan the only one can really.
Speaker 2: Attest for it.
Speaker 4: I think automatically that rush of what happened in the past automatically comes to you. We start thinking about our great playoff years, our great Super Bowl years. Automatically it starts coming back to you and you start realizing that, I mean, the fans were just just a whole nother thing. It was just so awesome. Like after a game when we won, I'm at least in the parking lot, out and a half two hours after the game, just hanging out with the fans, taking pictures quite honestly, shooting. That's what we're doing with the fans. Yeah, and enjoying it. We all enjoyed it. We weren't run away from the fans. There was no special lot for us, and if it was, it could have been. But I didn't park in it. I parked the right where all the fans parked as well. And enjoy it. Now, if we lost the football game, don't say because I'm but the fans understood that, and they knew that. They knew when to talk to me and when not to talk to me, if we lost a football game, I'm trying to figure out why we lost. We won the football game, I'm celebrating it with those fans because the other reason why we're playing in the first place. I mean, our twelfth man was off the chain and that was the soft the chain again like last year at fed AX. I mean, I'm sorry Northwest Westwest.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, y'all earned the twelfth man though that team that fan base had got so used to winning at that time, they didn't know no other way of playing football. So the difference between me and Tanna playing we played some good games the form of FedEx field, but we didn't play a lot of meaningful games.
Speaker 2: You got to play a lot of NFC championships in RFK.
Speaker 3: Is it one game in an NFC Championship did you say, you know what we almost played outside our mind, I'm almost played the perfect game.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean for me, I mean I played in three NFC Championship games, but one was in New York. We didn't do so up in New York. The first actually my first one was in New York and we lost. And that let me really know what resking football was. I was beside myself. I mean, I think there's only one time a grown man should cry. That's when they lose a family member or when you lose a freaking football game. Because that's I mean, for me, that's when. The only time I've ever cried is when I lost family members and when I lost a football game. And I started from the time I was a little boy until time I was a grown man playing for Washington. That Giants game that we lost in eighty six, man, I cried for at least the first ten days after we lost. Ten days You WA's going to do that? Plus plus I didn't I didn't have a good game either. I didn't have a good game. I didn't do enough for our team to win the football game. So it bothered me, but it also put me on the mission for the following year. I've got it, I mean, because it's nothing worse than getting in the championship game than losing. I would have rather not gotten the game at all. We're going to get to the championship game and lose. That's the worst feeling in the world. And I had that feeling. So the very next year, I said, we ever get chance to get back to a championship game. I'm not losing that MF game. I'm not losing that game. I don't care what I got to do. I don't care what I gotta do, what I got to say, what I got to do to my teammates. I'm not going to lose that game. So the next championship game is against Minnesota. That was a good game. It was a good game. We're battling, and for me it was great because I you know, I had an opportunity to score a touchdown in that game, and our defense stopped Daryl Green defensive back stopped the guy coming. They drove back down the field and with no time out, He's like he didn't really deflect. He kind of ran in front of the guy. So I'm gonna get But I mean, getting to your first super Bowl, I mean it's just it's it's just nothing like it. And I also cried then too because I was going to the Super Bowl. So I cried when we was going to the super Bowl as well, just because childhood dream come true. I've been wanting to go to the Super Bowl since I was five and a half years old. That's when I started wanting to be a professional football player at five and a half. So having that opportunity to do these things at RK, I mean, like literally, they treated us like gods. It's unbelievable how well the fans treated so.
Speaker 3: I mean, say, y'all earned it, y'all.
Speaker 4: I think so. I think so. But also we had fans that understood football. They understood when was playing good. They knew when, they knew when the cheer, they knew when to be quiet. You know, they just knew when to help us win the football game at the end of the day. And twelfth Man, I mean it truly is a real thing. Some people say it's just you know, the twelfth Man is a real thing because you need to get geek for a gig. You know, you need you need that energy to come into you to allow you to come out there and make plays that typically you make play. I mean from perfect examples like Tanner in that Cowboy game. I call him a Cowboy killer. U it was back to back yeah, Now, I guarantee you felt like you could run through a wall, You felt like you could run through anything.
Speaker 2: And Mario Brothers with the Mushroom.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean that's just you guys. Know, when you make plays that league to making your team help your team will win a football game, and there's nothing like it other Dan parenthood, of course.
Speaker 1: And obviously it's one of the reasons is because we're the best fans in the league, right they're all out here, and we want to reward you guys because we've got some merch. Hanna, put your hand up over there. If you want merch, go see Hannah. We get themand forces here command force that had everybody real quick. And then Major Tuddy's here. Look at this guy.
Speaker 3: Did you see he's trimmed up. Teddy is now?
Speaker 1: Oh, tell he's Sonny. You'd be quiet, though, Fred telling you be quiet, you're giving away his secrets.
Speaker 3: Right hey, listen, he's trimmed up. He didn trimmed up and live it. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Does he look thinner? Fans, you think he looks thinner? Does he look the same?
Speaker 2: He looks like he is. Shake like. We're whipping everything back in shape right now. We could We couldn't.
Speaker 3: We couldn't have no holl did you know had to good? We couldn't do that, all right, So we got it.
Speaker 1: So guys, make sure you get your merch over there, and obviously, if you want to keep up with the RFK Stadium news, visit Commanders dot com slash new Stadium. You can sign up to learn more and show your support because again, you know hearing these stories like I don't know how you don't want to get back at r FK, and like, let's make sure the ownership knows that we want to be back over there. All right, So today this is a fan driven show rout here amongst the people at the muniy which is actually a pretty cool spot. Man. Like they got like golf stuff in the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was shocked.
Speaker 5: I saw you throwing a football back. I did a little tool. I mean, I didn't do well. What do you need to do well? Because I mean, we'll talk.
Speaker 2: About it later. But it is a nice part that I.
Speaker 5: Could see myself coming back and bring a couple of friends and have a nice outing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was cool.
Speaker 1: They got like a digital quarterback thing and fred hu's your golf game.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's pretty good. They caught me smooth d Shambo. There you go check check check out out Land episode.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure y'all saw the last episode of y'all. Y'all saw that.
Speaker 2: Fred is always lying. If you don't believe, tell who is? You gotta believe in yourself.
Speaker 1: You have enough belief for everybody, seriously, you need it. So yeah, to make a mailback. So basically, fans submitted questions. If you guys who are here want to ask questions, you go up to produce Rana. She's gonna vet the questions because they don't have any weird questions. So it's about the questions. We get that cleaned up. We're gonna start with our first question. It's from Darren. Would you rather win more games by luck or win less? But those wins are dominant. So the way I look at it is like you got a twelve win season where you just roll everybody. You're like a bulldozer. You got a couple of bad losses in there, whatever, and then you got a fourteen win season where hey man, we were on the last possession, it's here whatever, I don't know what do you think?
Speaker 3: They had this conversation on the radio a couple of days ago about look, and I all most lost it and jumped out my Kyle on the belt way of start running right, Because in sports you make your own look. Our look come with preparation and how we prepare, and guess what, sometime the ball just bounces your way. Think about this. Everybody say that the closed hand game with Tom Brady was Look, well he rolled.
Speaker 2: Out six more Super Bowls after that.
Speaker 3: Look, every great team has these lucky players, and I don't want to hear it that we manifested this. Look, it's part of when you got good energy and good chill around you, things just bounce your way.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what luck feel like. Look, ain't never did nothing for me.
Speaker 1: That's something players say all the time.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: I don't believe in luck, but sometimes got to have a little bit, get a little bit lucky. Yeah, but the ball, I say, not luck. The ball just rolled that way.
Speaker 2: I mean you got to think about it too. If it's luck, though, Fred, you can't.
Speaker 5: Cornify how many years have we been sit in that same position and it didn't bounce our You know what I'm saying, So twenty years I'm all for when it does. And I think Fred has a little right to what he said is about sometime when you prepare the way that this team has prepared last year, or what was prepared last year when that when that ball bouncing your way, you're ready for it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me and my brother couldn' attest to this. We had a high school coach and he had a favorite sin saying what it was nor opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, opportunity favors to prepare.
Speaker 5: See, so there you go, like when when when you're prepared for that, for that, for that moment, Yeah, it's not luck normal because.
Speaker 2: You was waking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you anticipated this this time. You do one day you might be built this card and you was ready for it. So that's why I look at our season last year, people.
Speaker 2: Say the hell Noah that we had the hell Mary.
Speaker 3: Was Look when I say, I watched these guys practice this play all the time. So they practiced it, they esecuted it.
Speaker 2: It ain't looked to me Gary a big luck.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm kind of like Fred. I think you do create your own you're prepared to have good luck. And but and you do Like like Fred, we practiced the hell married the whole time all day.
Speaker 1: But like, how many times in practice do you miss it?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like a lot of.
Speaker 2: Time we never caught one. We practiced it every week, but.
Speaker 4: A lot of a lot of times, a lot of times you miss it. But it's the same thing a lot. Sometimes you've missed at tackles. Sometimes you missed. There's a lot of things that you do. But the more you practice it, the better you're prepared for it. Yeah, in that situation. But I'm more like just when I don't care if we want by luck or we won by skill. I just want to win. Here it does win, baby, That's what I look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously getting more wins is nice, but there's something I think back to, like the Baltimore Ravens a couple of years ago when they were just rolling people. Yeah, like there's something that to be said for just like dominant, like win in by twenty point wins.
Speaker 2: I know, but people called it. Look I call it the team. No no, no, But.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, like I'm saying, is it better to be lucky. I'm not talking about dominate. I want to I want to dominate though. If all was giving a choice between, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I mean, if you want me to answer that question.
Speaker 5: Dominate, I would I would rather dominate. Yeah, I don't want to be lucky. But like I said, some games, like even those dominant teams, Yeah, like say Instan my my Hurricane team my senior year, Yeah we lost that. We lost the one game against Washington earlier in the season, but we beat everybody else. That Florida State game could have easily been a loss for us if it don't go wide.
Speaker 2: Right, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You might call that lucky, but guess what, you know what, we won the game. So I would rather be dominant then be lucky. But sometime you need to kanadak y'all dominant.
Speaker 3: If you dominate all year and you're not playing in tight games, what happened when you get to the playoffs and all the games are tight. I'm ready to be that team that's been winning at the end of games because it proved favor for us last year because when we got in those times in the games, we was unbothered.
Speaker 2: We was ready for that.
Speaker 3: Like right now, Okay, see playing against the Indiana Pacers. The Pacers been winning tight games all year, okayse been blowing people out, and right now that's working in the favor of the Indiana Pacers because they've been playing tight games all year long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with that Careerah, but like it's always nice to beat somebody by twenty I think. And again it's luck is good. I don't care about the luck. Like ultimately, you want to win more games than you lose. However you get there, like get there. Yeah, I mean, Garrett, you feel the same way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now I was. I mean, it's fortunately my first Super Bowl. We want them, we want the most dominant team in the league. At that point, oaon, we weren't. Where's fortunate that we went away?
Speaker 3: Year was a pop quiz No date yourself?
Speaker 1: Sorry, no, it's okay.
Speaker 2: It was nam y one, the year of our sweet team. I was born.
Speaker 4: I was born in eighty seven, by the way, just to get that's the season though, that was eighty seven season is the eighty seven season, so that's what it was. And but we took our but we started playing great football at the end of the season. Ninety one, we just we just dominated this.
Speaker 2: Most dominant team domination.
Speaker 1: So which season was better?
Speaker 4: I mean, we enjoyed the ninety one season, I mean just because ninety one the swag was a little different. You know, we walked onto the field we expected to kick your ass. We just expected it. We expected it, and sometimes that plays against you, though, too, because it took us actually getting our butt beat, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Against I was going to ask you about that.
Speaker 5: I think Mitch explained to me or or told me one day that that ninety one team. Yeah, y'all rolled everybody, But it was one game that Ya took.
Speaker 4: A good check and Dallas, I mean, and we held Mary in the freaking first half and God claims comes down with it. Yeah, everybody were just looking. I was like, but we were arrogant. We went into the game er again, we went the whole thing was Erica. They had just did a big thing on us on NBC or CBS one of the networks about how great we were, and then we go in there and we find out we were as good as we thought we were.
Speaker 2: From that game, though, how was the bounce back from that?
Speaker 4: Honesty? Our team was just so good. But we should have won that game. I mean, we should have went undefeated. That we should have We should have had the perfect the perfect season. We were that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, really, y'all let the Dolphins off the hook.
Speaker 4: Oh man, man, let them off the hook. We should have been and that that's the part that made us so made everybody play butter because it was pissed off that we lost that game and we shouldn't have.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting. We just got a fan question from Shari. What motivates you the most? Your love for the game, your teammates, or the fans that cheer you on every week. And it was interesting hearing you talk about that because you were talking out what creates motivation? You know what I mean. I think it's kind of related to that question, where do you find your motivation?
Speaker 2: Because I think, like I.
Speaker 1: Read this question, it seems like a lot of external stuff. But as a player, and I've heard Tanna talk about this, I always found it was internally motivated more than anything.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for me, it was teammates first, fan second, ownership third, And that's that's the way I looked at it. The teammates that you bled with and every day, but we also had expectations for one another. If you didn't meet our expectations on the team, we got in your face. Yeah, I mean we just did. And and it was no like man, none of it. Yeah, No, nobody was like piss up. It's more like my bad dude, I need to get going because that's when when we're getting in your face. It's not it's to say you're not playing the way you should play, like how we know you can play. But sometimes now kids today though, they may want to actually getting like a fistfight about it back and forth. If somebody say hey, if you're not playing that well, and they take it personally, know they just being honest. You're not playing that well. You know, we Tanna, we saw you school of those two touchdowns back to the basket against Dallas, so we know how great you can.
Speaker 5: How you can played that way every week all the time to day. Yeah, you know, and mine was more and mine was more internal. I think I've always was self driven, especially when you have the upcomings of, you know, of a guy that's been told all your life.
Speaker 2: Is you can't, you can't, You're not you can't.
Speaker 5: So you know, I was always determined to go out there and prove people wrong. But at the same time, I never really cared about proving them wrong. I just wanted to show myself that man, don't don't allow that to affect my mindset, my thought process. On the other part of that, the fans. You know, you know I beatter talk to y'all when I was in the locker room.
Speaker 2: WHI y'all, I'm just kidding. No, I love them, I love my teammates.
Speaker 5: I went out there and played every game just to make sure that they can look.
Speaker 2: At me and I can hold my head high in that locker room.
Speaker 5: But I wouldn't allow myself to leave a game or a stadium without giving the fans what they came to see. That's how I always felt, So I will always say that I going turningly.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 5: I was always driven, and then I wanted to make sure that every fan that came to that that paid their.
Speaker 2: Hard earned money that game, they got to show.
Speaker 5: And even if I ain't give them a show, I went out there for hard until I saw them zeros on that clock.
Speaker 2: I'm glad, maryon Barry.
Speaker 3: The two kids just gave y'all their political right answer.
Speaker 2: They just gave y'all.
Speaker 3: We know you didn't care about nobody, Cris, So let me set the tone in the truth we already know.
Speaker 2: Hey, I went out there one because I had for myself. I had fun. I had fun playing game. Okay, I had fun walking into that stadium.
Speaker 3: I smiled from the time the game started till the game was over with. I have never had a real job in my life, yet I'm still talking about the kids game and two the fans. It's nothing like I can't buy it Adrillingine no more. I can't find it in the grocery store. I can't find a plan golf. He's nothing like having eighty thousands fans screaming your name at one time. You can't. You can't manifest it nowhere else. The sport, this environment, in the environment of itself. So when I'm hearing it and the ground started shaking, where can I find that at nowhere else? So it's the whole experience. It's the stadium experience, and it's a chance to leave a dream that's not promised for everybody. So I never took it for granted.
Speaker 4: And I said that too though, no.
Speaker 2: Sugar too, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 3: They got up here and sent you no way. By golly, it was all for y'all. You know this, But it was all for y'all. Who gave the best Who gave the best answer?
Speaker 2: Was it Fred? Gary Fans? What do you think who gave the best answer? Thank you. I appreciate, d'all.
Speaker 1: Don't even know what you said.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the next question.
Speaker 1: Linda asked what strategy led to the significant reduction in penalties last season?
Speaker 2: So let real quick before we get started.
Speaker 1: Last year was about what it was the year before, and was about what it was the year before that. So it's been about the league average for about four consecutive years. What I will say, I think this question leads to is a perception. Right when the team does well, Yes, I think fans focus less on the negatives.
Speaker 3: And I think the negatives didn't come at the inappropriate time sure like, because the team is coached so well in so disciplined. They didn't let those mega mistakes that we used to make in our time. In this fourth quarter with two minutes left, were driving the ball and here we go, get a holding penity and now instead of first and team, it's first and twenty and we behind the chains and we just stuck ourselves in the foot.
Speaker 2: They did not do that this year.
Speaker 3: And plus, like you said, with the winning, because when something strength, the best deodining is winning, and that's what they did. You don't notice some stink sometime until you know ain't no winning involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Gary. If people talk all about the penalties you had when you were here when winning games, probably not.
Speaker 4: I don't think we were. We won times soever. At the end of the yeah, we can't say the same.
Speaker 1: He didn't have.
Speaker 2: He didn't have, He didn't have the problems we had.
Speaker 4: I never went through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he never went through the dark times we went through.
Speaker 5: See, I heard the problems was more with Gary because Gary cursed everybody out.
Speaker 3: That was the problems was what everybody leading their own way, you know, you was more quiet, more like just following me. Fletch would say his speech before the game, spit on half of the defense everybody had. They were Yeah, if you ain't been spit on by Lenning to Fletcher, you ain't playing NFL. That's the way this game goes. You gotta just to sell people for however they want to do.
Speaker 5: So what was the question again, I want to Fred made me lose train of thought.
Speaker 1: No, No, So basically the question was why were there less penalties than there were the last year I got There weren't actually.
Speaker 2: Less it was it was, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't think it was less, but I think also Fred hitting on the head. Years before that you would see it because there was no winning behind it, and it was like a domino effect. Once one occurred, it was more after each other, and before you know it, they stuck themself in the foot or in the toe and they found themself in a situation where they're punting the ball or they're just not getting no production out of that. That drive last year was a total difference. You saw the pennies, it was it was spurts though. It was games where they had the penalties. There was games they didn't and the game they had the pendies.
Speaker 2: It was like that Giants game. The Giants game was the game that.
Speaker 5: They could have easily lost their game, but they found the way to win by just kicking.
Speaker 2: Off field goals.
Speaker 5: That shows you that that team was kind of built in a different way any means necessary.
Speaker 2: They understood that even when they're.
Speaker 5: Not playing their best, they can find a way to win the game. So I think that that stood out more than anything last year because our team was was so well defined throughout as like on every level that they could win even when they're not having their best game.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to the next question. So what we got, Oh, Major Tuddy? What we got? It's like a ballot coming in. We got. What is your favorite thing about Major Tuddy? So little self serving? This is from Teddy himself, is it?
Speaker 2: Fred?
Speaker 1: What's your favorite things?
Speaker 2: Struh? He smells like bake.
Speaker 1: He smells like bake. And that's a good one. Tuddy, you do smell like baked. You cannot, you can not what you got a favorite thing?
Speaker 4: It looks like a receiver. That's my saying.
Speaker 2: He's strimming up.
Speaker 1: I like the fade. Actually, that's my favorite thing about me.
Speaker 2: You got.
Speaker 5: My favorite thing from Tuddy is the doubt every time I see Teddy. Teddy gave me a nice pound that let.
Speaker 2: Me know who he is.
Speaker 5: I ain't gonna say, I ain't gonna tell nobody who he is, but you I know from my pound. But that's my favorite thing about Teddy Tuddy.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. What a great question. I think the fans really want to know what that really family did question? Uncle Lou, who are you most impressed with of the year two guys? Rookies and ud face? So before get started? Yeah right, Tanda, why don't you take the year two guys? Fred wanted to shake the rookies because you're the draft guru.
Speaker 2: You are right.
Speaker 1: I gotta say that you're right. I'll take the UFAs and Gary, you say quiet, You say whoever you are you are most impressed with?
Speaker 2: So tany you want to starve with your two guys, Okay, I start with your two guys. But I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna answer this the way that Uncle Lou wants it, because he asking me who am I more impressed with? And it's hard to be impressed when you really ain't doing much. When they peel a fire, but they still they still out there, just preparing, getting themself ready. But I will say this, it's a guy who I spoke about last year that didn't get a lot of planning time. We know why, and this year you might not get a lot of planning time. But when he gets in the game, just knowing who he's behind, I'm sure you guys are gonna be three lled to see what he has in store.
Speaker 2: And I would say that job that guy is Jordan McGee. Yeah, yeah, yeah, my guys loved him since Stay Walking.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It just I mean, you know how like when you remember back when we was kids and you got those those action figures and how they was creating you and you actually wanted to draw those guys like I remember drawing he Man, and just every muscle and every cul when you look at Jordan McGue, that's how you look, you know, and and and I and I say, paulse to that because I don't want to be talking about about.
Speaker 2: A grown man like that.
Speaker 3: But he put together real well man, and you sure share problem.
Speaker 2: I also know you can play some good football, so it's a safe space. It's a safe space.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You guys are my brother, so I feel like.
Speaker 5: You and the fans know me, so you know, I could talk about this guy like that, But I also believe to being behind a guy like Wagner just getting that experience, just.
Speaker 2: Getting all that.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure he's he's he's teaching them everything he knows. And just not only that, just watching that guy. You remember how you talked about when you came in. You had Dion in a room, you had Champ in a room, you had Derek Breen in the room, and a young.
Speaker 2: Smooth was just sitting there as a sponge man.
Speaker 5: You just picked up everything, you know what I mean, You went out there and had one of your better years your career, your rookie year. Joy didn't get a chance to play yes much last year. So just imagine sitting behind a guy like Waggener being the guy that is the specimen that he is, what he has in store, so I can't wait to see what he hasn't started yet. Yeah, all right, we want to talk about the rookies. I got to start with that most impressive, Yeah, most impressive.
Speaker 3: Like I am really impressed with Connerley Junior, So I want to start with our first round pick first, all right, because he's a guy playing left talca is a very hard thing to do as a young guy.
Speaker 2: But from what I'm hearing's.
Speaker 1: I'm honestly surprised you didn't say trademos you've been talking about.
Speaker 2: I was waiting for so much that was all said.
Speaker 1: I feel like you just sabotaged this whole show.
Speaker 2: Hang that was low hanging through.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about the positions that's not sexy. I want to talk about the position you don't know you needed until you need it and it's too late. I want to talk about the position that when Gary was playing, they was called the Hogs, and now we got a group called the Wild Boards, and they have the ability to have I think three to four Pro bowlers on this office easily, especially if Conley Junior turns into what we think he can become the athlete that he would become. If you dominate the trenches, you dominate games, and if you dominate games, you win championships.
Speaker 2: So I'm going with Connolly all right.
Speaker 1: Most definitely, Gary, you have somebody you just can't wait to watch in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Feet with Tennis set and I agree with happen all right, he can I don't really agree with what you said.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. Awesome, man, you can't wait to see Trey Aymes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about. I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: I got UDFA. So the UDFA that suck out to me probably the most is Robert McDaniels from Jackson State. So he's like six to two hundred pounds, kind of that hybrid safety linebacker type, and I just feel like he's got a good shot to make the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah on special teams.
Speaker 1: Now, like Tennis said, it's OT's in mini camps, so they haven't really done anything yet, which leads us. I think really nice scene to the next question, which is from Justin. Who's here, Justin? Are you around here? Hand up?
Speaker 2: Yes, Justin fan question excellent what he got?
Speaker 1: So thirty or thirty two teams opt in for joint practices one of the and disadvantages and why wouldn't the chiefs opt in for joint practice. So the reason to bring that up is because I think joint practices are a great opportunity to evaluate way better than dudio things specifically right young guys. And it's an opportunity to kind of get practice reps. Yeah, get preseason reps in a practice setting. Yeah, so you're keeping guys safe and getting that situational work at a high level.
Speaker 3: I think you can actually do higher level exercises and actually run more plays in a practice that you can in.
Speaker 2: The preseason game. There's no film, Yes, it's no film on it.
Speaker 3: So now we get to get really get edit against another team. And I think you can actually make a team at one of these joint practices before making plays before you can in the preseason game.
Speaker 2: I really do feel like that setting is a harder send in.
Speaker 3: The preseason game, and you get more working from positional groups and you get more working from offensive defensive groups.
Speaker 1: Gary, did you joint practices when you're playing or is it just like go kill yourselves up at camp? I mean, yeah, we heres a double day as the whole thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did three Did you really three days? Dude?
Speaker 4: I got a training camp.
Speaker 1: I gotta I gott sorry about wonding Fletcher. Fletcher came up to me. It's like, hey man, we used to do three days all the time. And then four or five years later, asking about it again, he's like, oh, we never did three days, and then I.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I was with the last team that went to Carlisle Pennsylvania. You did carl Out Pennsylvania the entire time, and it was I never knew Pennsylvania could.
Speaker 2: Be that hot. Not definite Pensvan.
Speaker 4: You got to go training camp stories, Gary, Training, I mean training camps. I mean there was a lot of fighting in training camp because exactly that's you had like four to six weeks to try to make the team. Yeah, you know, because typically for the coaches, they preset their roster pretty much. So as a rookie, you're trying to come in and make your place on the team. You're trying to do something that allows you to stand out, so the coaches recognized who you are and recognize that you can play that game. So training camp, we hated it. It's Carlile Pennsylvania. But was the best saying because we all bonded together because we hated it. We hated it together. We were headed against So we would get together and talk and hang out and talk about how hard practice was that day in the whole nine yards. But I mean, and we there, I mean I would love to play today's game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they don't.
Speaker 4: They don't practice exactly. You don't put on paths anymore. So it's a little different thing. But you know, everything changes at time, but just what it does.
Speaker 1: To that point, I do think joint practice you're getting back to Justice's question, allows for some of that intensity to ramp up, right. So that's why it's a good tool, right, more drills, higher speed, more more play specific stuff, more situational stuff. So it's a great opportunity.
Speaker 2: All right, next question, But you don't like.
Speaker 1: Joint practice, Well no, you know, but no one likes no one likes trading can received.
Speaker 2: Was don't like that practice? We don't have to talk about it, but we can go through this. I want to hear what you mean.
Speaker 5: I heard you talk about the people I was gonna say, y'all heard me tell y'all why so joint practice.
Speaker 2: To me, there's a few guys that needed.
Speaker 5: Those guys want a bubble, those those undrafted free agent.
Speaker 2: So I understand for those.
Speaker 5: Guys who say, yeah, I love those practices, But for a guy like myself, what am I'm getting out of it. I'm in a practice, a glorified practice that Gary just spoke on it.
Speaker 2: We fight throughout practices. I'm fighting guys.
Speaker 5: On my own team, so you know what I'm gonna do with a guy on the opposite So when you're going through drills and a joint practice, you're going through a regular practice, and then we blow the whistling and say now let's go live. It's hard to get up into a game setting after I just went up through all these individual.
Speaker 2: Drills, one on ones, you know.
Speaker 5: All this routes on air, and then now I got to go play a game against another you know, opponent, and I gotta put it on tape.
Speaker 2: It's in the same day, it's in the in the same practice. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So that's why, from my opinion, I just don't like joint practice. I think that I don't get nothing out of it. I feel like I'd be exhausted at the end of the day and then I'm sitting there watching myself on tape. Puts bas st up on tape half of the time. Yeah, but gets a lot out of it.
Speaker 2: Is player.
Speaker 1: I'm with you because I didn't like him either, but it is like it is a good tool to help with the ADVENTU.
Speaker 5: Love watching the other guys compete, though you know I did definitely who wasn't going to probably get.
Speaker 4: Coach the other talent that they got because they already know, like know, they already know for the most part, who's going to be on the roster to keep. They're waiting to be surprised by somebody that makes him be like, where did this guy come from?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: This guy's extremely good. Next thing, you know, he's pushing to get into the start line up. You didn't though he existed really beforehand, That's what I mean. And our team we did really well. When people talk to us like that's what really got got y'all got.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely getting that vite from this conversation, kind of like getting shirt rite.
Speaker 4: They love somebody.
Speaker 2: It ain't just me this time. I got my guy with me, receivers with the party man. I got, Oh my bad, don't apologize, don't apologize my bad. We love the company command.
Speaker 4: No, I'm a deacon son. I was not supposed to come out.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting you say that, because it's like it allows coaches to see guys who need to develop. I think that leads us nice nicely to brad first question, which is how long are you willing to wait for players to develop before cutting bait before moving on? And I think we've all played with guys who've been around way longer than they should have been. Yeah, and also bet around guys who were cut too early. Yes, correct, yea. And so if you're a coach, if you're a GM, like, what makes a guy stick around the roster and what makes a guy get out of here quick?
Speaker 5: So one of the things I would say is the first question was asked, how long are you wanting to wait?
Speaker 2: I have a three year period.
Speaker 5: I think I have a three year period to see my guys become pros. You know, I give them that grace. And I'm not saying this because it's just something that popped up in my head. I feel like since I entered the league, I watched guys that was either that came in with me or that came in after me that I watched. It took them a up into three years. Some guys got it in year one, some guys got in year two.
Speaker 2: Some guys hit it dead on the head in year three.
Speaker 5: So I think you give them that grace period for three years, and then you say, okay, now that this third year gonna make it a break them, you know what I mean? And I found I found out as a wide receiver, a lot of us kind of matured by year three.
Speaker 2: Like my class in two thousand and one.
Speaker 5: I believe Chad and Snoop Minutes was the first two guys that jumped off on the streen and kind of went out there and dominated in year one and then by oh, well, I think Steve Smith went to a pro bow, but he went to a probo as a kick return yeah, but as a receiver, year three he had one thousand yards. Year three for myself, I had a thousand yards. You see what I'm saying so, but I'm not sure if that's just by player or by the team allowing us to do more about that year. So I kind of would want to give every guy like around that same grape period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's that's a really good point. Ten is it does take. I mean, offensive linemen have a similar arc. It's like year three, year fours when they kind of start hitting their stride. I think they used to the speed of the game. Things like that. The thing that I think keeps guys on rosters, though, is the P word, which is potential. If you're a big athletic, good mover, they're gonna find a way to keep you around on the roster, hoping that they figure it out with you, because I don't want to cut that freaky tall athletic guy with long arms and say, oh he goes to Detroit and then well, yeah, yeah, absolutely, So I think that for me, Fred, I don't know how you feel about it, but that's one that sticks out to me.
Speaker 3: Well, I think everything is about case by case bases, let's be honest. Because I've watched the team give a guy like Chris Clemens time to development, he develops into a Pro Bowl in to another team. I have watched teams give up on a wide receiver just a lit bit too early because that they needed a roster spot. So I think it has a lot to do with how much success do you have. The successful teams usually have a lot more patience than uns successful teams when it comes to projects because they usually got their guys, They got their baseline guys.
Speaker 2: But if I got a Taytan.
Speaker 3: Door, it's gonna be hard for me to hold on to that project before somebody else reached the potential that I couldn't do because we didn't have the patience. So it has to be patience meets potential like that go to the equation for me?
Speaker 1: No, I think that's one hundred percent right, And I think this is interesting. Gary. Maybe in talking about your development, we got a question from JC and he says, how how was it playing along alongside Art Monk and what teammates helped you develop in your process?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So, like I think about we just talked about how long do you guys stick around? I think about how informative other players were in my career. How about Art Monk and some other guys that helped you along the way and how was it playing the next next Art Monk, Who's Hall of Famer?
Speaker 4: I mean Art was just a I mean when I first came to Washington, the passing game was completely built around Art.
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was a hund percent built around Art.
Speaker 2: So did he play like your true like x outside.
Speaker 4: Now, I was the extacy. He was the guy with go in motion movement, you know, I mean he was He was better off the ball than somebody's on the line of skim because on a line of scrims you gotta get away right now. You still going in the motion. You gotta get away now, and you gotta be quick. Art. Yeah, so with Art, but I mean to me, I mean, he's, if not the best, one of the best. Actually, I think Charlie Taylor is the best we ever had at that position. I think Art is second. Uh, I think Tanner's third.
Speaker 1: Get out of here man Tennis third.
Speaker 2: I'd be somewhere like five six.
Speaker 4: To play the play, to play at the speed that you play for the amount of years that you play, Yeah, I mean the evere slight span. When you guys are to the ever slight spans only three years when we played was only three years. It's three and a half years now, So I mean, if you don't do it, then three years ass it's gone anyhow at the end of the day, if you don't show so to have the type of career that you have tanna at that position. Yeah, I mean like for example, my hamstrings were shot by my im my third year. Quite honest, I able to play with a lot of pain. I was always I was okay playing with pain. But I mean that's just it's hard to play that position at that level for that amount of time, for that for that amount of years. But Art Monk is one hundred. I mean when we came in, he was like a god to the receivers. Like I mean, it was Art Monk. We're saying, well, west Bring, that's so.
Speaker 2: Was he there before you?
Speaker 4: He was there. He was there five years before me.
Speaker 1: So he was like an established.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean that's what offense was built. Your office has already built, how is it?
Speaker 3: Because i'd been around now three of y'all like sitting at the table, and I asked y'all every question you remember, I posed, he what happen if y'all three versus me, Champ and d Green. We had that conversation, but I noticed Art just so quiet.
Speaker 2: I mean, so did you have to study.
Speaker 3: Him more to kind of pick up on his stof because it's just naturally a quiet guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and because he was such a different physique than I was, it was a different type of study. I looked at how disciplined he was about about how he went about his job. That's what I picked up from Mark. Because I'm a completely different friend than our I was not gonna be able to do the same thing that Art. Like Art six three two hundred and fifteen two and twenty pounds, he could just hit you off the line and didn't get open me. I was my rookie year for five nine and a half one hundred and fifty five pounds.
Speaker 5: I don't so, I don't understand that because you said you was the X at that size.
Speaker 2: Normally it's it's reversed.
Speaker 4: But but then we did a lot of dodgers. Everything, everything is based on that little five yard dodge zone. You said, Man, you run away, and Art was Art was a master at that.
Speaker 1: He was the choice runner.
Speaker 5: So tell me this, though, tell me this, because I remember me and you had this conversation with Ricky and I thought he stole one of your touchdowns in the Super Bowl. Talk to tell the fans, is that story about when you thought the ball was coming to you.
Speaker 2: And it went over your head and then you know you saw back Richie.
Speaker 4: I just saw Ricky streaking right past me. I was like, I got the post.
Speaker 2: How did you both get in the same same area?
Speaker 4: Ricky decided he was going to go take that shortcut. Lord, I'm like, oh, we I'll take it back. We both have posts, but I had the deep post and Ricky shallow, and he like for yards down field. I'll tell you what, though, Ricky Sanders, you can fly. He does not get the credit that he deserves. He's one of the best receivers, just naturally gifted, naturally gifted. And I could do everything, anything and everything you asked him to do. I mean, he was a utility guy, good guy. So when I did an X, he could do it, or I did his Z and then he blocked as a h wow. He was our h back you know. So, I mean, and he broke our he I mean super Bowl twenty two, he broke that record. Yeah, because he stole my damn touchdown.
Speaker 5: I love it, man, every time I hear it, every time I see gets the first thing I think about.
Speaker 4: Ricky's a good oh.
Speaker 2: Man, All right, let's get uh.
Speaker 1: Let's that was a nice teacher. But let's get back to the fan question. So Harry asked, could someone like Louvu benefit from switching to edge rusher?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, you think so. Oh, I'm gonna push back card on this trend.
Speaker 3: Thing about it is which has a momentum die he a god even when he coming to make but even.
Speaker 1: Even when you just describe him, he's a momentum downhill guy. So as an edge rusher, yes, starting from a stationary position.
Speaker 2: But what stationary position they're gonna theme with him? That don't see him?
Speaker 3: Well, just like they had Michael Parson's left right coming through the A gap, coming through the B gap, this guy like when you got a guy that's organized chaos on defense, you won't unleash that organized chaos by any forums necessary. And I think sometime last year, especially in passing downs, dropping him back into zones and stuff like.
Speaker 1: That, what is he talking about?
Speaker 5: Nobody got he got an interception doing dropping interception.
Speaker 3: I just think as a defensive player. He worked as a quarterback. He worked more to me rushing the passer than he is running time.
Speaker 5: And I say, got the position he's at right now where he can move around as a linebacker, pick his gaps that he want to he want to put brain pressure through, line up on the outside.
Speaker 2: To me, I like him. To me, he has more of a Marcom Michael Parson, you know roll. He still would be a line even though he's coming out the eight.
Speaker 5: But I'm saying nothing change this, this being set on one side, left or right.
Speaker 2: I don't think they'll do that with him.
Speaker 1: Okay, So just from like a purely x's and oh standpoint. Yeah, I look at what he does and highlight I don't like the matchup of him rushing on a tackle or a guard. I want him rushing on a back. So if I can formation defensively right, get my four down there, have Bobby and him up in the gap. He's gonna win against the center and he's gonna win against the back. Like that's the matchup that I'm hunting for for him. So like the flexibility of his alignment is the thing that gives him value. So I always think people say, oh, just move the dude to edge rusher. It takes a special athlete. And I think he dismissed Anthony. I think he can do it like it's nothing about his skills it that tells me he can't do it. He got long on reach, he got low being around the conel, he got a neck for fine and a quarterback.
Speaker 2: And I also want to have.
Speaker 3: A guy that the offense wants to find because now he's opening up to everybody.
Speaker 2: On the back.
Speaker 5: So basically, you want him to play the role that Foul played last year because follow was just an edge rushing All right.
Speaker 2: Let's just say this, how about right?
Speaker 3: You don't want no, no, Let's just say we met Hadway and say in passing situations he's the designated edge rush third downs, second and long.
Speaker 2: But you don't like him moving around. I think because I think around me as a depensive player, I get more from him with him going up the field.
Speaker 1: I just do he's confident to be to be sure, yeah, I'm very sure. You can't can't tell him he's wrong.
Speaker 2: They kind They don't call me Freddy, see for for no reason?
Speaker 1: Freddy? Who's Freddy?
Speaker 5: You got more names than damn Dictionarrey No coach seaferd used to call coach for forty nine.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that, but all right, here we go. Next question, Chris, Well, this is a I don't really understand this question, so we're just gonna roll with it. Yeah, will Jaydon Daniels changed his cadence? Why not change it to confuse the defense? So we have multiple cadence, I.
Speaker 2: Mean saying we got multiple kats, like, no, they don't need to be touched that because it also confuses the offense. This is what this is what I hope he's asking.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna have more control at the line of scrimmage on changing plays. And he did a lot of that last year too, so so it's only gonna get more on his plate, right, So I think he's they asking is he gonna be more peyton manny is at the line of scrimmage and getting a little bit more control of the outfense through the cadence and through the change in the plays.
Speaker 5: Kind of talked about last year and that that first round playoff got that that was the first round we played Tampa.
Speaker 2: He called his own shot on that. Yeah, so I'm sure it's.
Speaker 5: Wide open for him to do things like that because he's that calibory of player. So if that's the question that's been asked, I'm sure that Jayden, Dan and Cliff and those guys will allow him to kind of cook when he wanted to put more on his plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Gary, you played with a bunch of different quarterbacks. Can you maybe talk about how how you got to learn a different cadence for a quarterback? Like it is a process. It's not like something you can just away.
Speaker 4: It seems like what the fans want. It's it's seemed to have become like a Mark Ripping, Like Mark Ripping, Joe gave him the ability. Like everything for us was check with me, Like really Mark, Like seventy five to eighty percent of our offense was Mark Callton plays at the line of scrimmers. She go up and he checked out the defense, but then he called a play. Yeah, so if he has that type of intelligence and heck, yeah, let him do it, because I mean Mark was he was a smart, smart guy, very intelligent guy, you know, And I didn't realize that he was that involved in Yeah, like like he was just extremely extremely intelligent guy, you know, low key coup for a quarterback, you know, I mean, he didn't have the typical air that a quarterback. This is Jayden. Quite honestly, Jayden comes across to me very its just so chilling, laid back. He gains all the credit to everybody else he's he doesn't take that credit in because a lot of times quarterbacks get all the credit. Just just kind of just always kind of been that way. And he shares the credit with his receiver, with his lineman. He's a smart, smart player. And what I love about is he understands how the game was played to come in like everybody adored him once he got here as a quarterback, you know what I'm saying, Because he didn't come in saying like I'm the guy, I'm gonna be the reason he came in. He came in saying like we're a team and we're gonna put this together and we'll go to win together. We're the guys. That's the point I think where everybody.
Speaker 2: Likes about Gary.
Speaker 1: It's almost like you produced the show with us, because that leads us really nicely in the Phil's question, which I think is related is relevant here can I as a fan as a fan base, Can I can we believe in Jayde Daniels? Can he do it again? And so Fred I know this is like your time when you get up on to your sales pitch about nice things. But it was interesting here and Gary talk about how Mark kind of followed a similar trajectory like humble beginnings, kept grinding, kept working and kept improving. So can the fan base be locked in on Jadane Daniels.
Speaker 3: Do not be afraid to believe in greatness. Do not be afraid to think that he's actually gonna get better. With this equation out to you, how do you stop a pinpoint passer that happens to be one of the fastest people on the O offence?
Speaker 2: You don't? You hope to bottle him up.
Speaker 3: And you're talking about somebody that's uper intelligent, who's a sponge, who's only gonna get more. Like if you thought he had confidence last year, he gonna have even more confidence this year. So the confidence is up, the skill set is up, the passing will be better. The playbook we will be better. We brought him more weapons, we got him a better offensive. Live Yes, feel good about him being Jedi five. He will be the ultimate forcemote the plier. Yeah, he will see. I told you you can sell cars. You want the best salesman in the business, bess and and I proved that message.
Speaker 5: But honestly, I think when it comes to just what we did as a team, when you get better in front of him, when you get those you call the wild boars. Yeah, when you add to the wild boars, you get a you get a Tonsu, you get a J. C. J. You get you make those two guys along, make everybody else better, everybody. You move Cole into his natural position. And then not only that, then you add a weapon in the outside and Deebo Samuels, who can be a Swiss Army knife. He could be in the backfield, could be an h back. You know, back in the day we call h backs like tight ends, So he could be an h back, he could be.
Speaker 2: A tight end.
Speaker 5: He could be a running back, he could be a wide receiver. And then you add more, you know, guys around him that's going to allow him to be able to go out there and so on.
Speaker 2: So cook.
Speaker 5: But one of the things that I want to point out what you said, he's a passor first see, when we see guys that have problems in year two is because they they was running quarterbacks that the league say, you know what, we're gonna make you.
Speaker 2: Now throw the ball. They don't want him to throw the ball.
Speaker 5: Late in the season last year, a lot of our defenses that we went up against, they sat back and wanted him to throw the ball.
Speaker 2: And guess what he did pick him apart. So coming into year two.
Speaker 5: I would say, these guys are they not They're not sure what to do. They don't want to rush them, they don't want.
Speaker 2: To sit back.
Speaker 5: They just want to play defense and hope that they can at least cover more guys to not give him an option.
Speaker 2: So I think it's just gonna have one those years than another.
Speaker 5: Great quarterback or or quarterback where great potential is gonna have and he's gonna thrive.
Speaker 2: And I think and this team is gonna thrive because he has the.
Speaker 5: Weapons, he have the guys that are front of the block for him, and like he said, he's Jedi five man, he's something to watch.
Speaker 1: So fans, they got a question.
Speaker 2: We got hell yeah, hell coming up right now.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, I want to ask the fans and I want to hear it from you can you guys believe in Jane Daniels Hell yeah or hell nah? That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It was just hell yeah, no, no, they believe they've just been scorned and burned by us a little bit. And you know, you got to earn that respect.
Speaker 3: It's just like it's just like you're letting the kid use the card and they come back and scratch the car.
Speaker 2: You got to re earn my trust to drive again. That's all I'm say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so now the first tell y'all our hell no, Terry, Deebo and Ertz are the best veteran slash slash professional receiving options since the Posse.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Jordan Reed, Santana, Pierre and I might have to go because Jordan Reed don't get the love he's supposed to got because he had to retire early. But Jord Reed, for a small stint, was unstoppable at the tight end spot. Then when you got Pierre, who is a yack machine, you got Tanna and Djack to in the fastest receiver they ever played the game.
Speaker 2: I don't know, so what we go.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna compare him against no other group. I just say hell no, because I believe that.
Speaker 2: The Posse was.
Speaker 5: But it's since the Posse they the best group since the Post.
Speaker 2: Since the Bosse. Nah nah, No, I won't be giving myself no credit.
Speaker 5: I've been talking about I've been around some groups. Man, I've been around some guys that I had to held them up, hold them up hisself.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, we did what we had to do. But I said, hell no, yeah, hell Gary.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe you talk about how good the Posse he was just as a standard. You already alluded to it a little bit like it seems crazy hall of famer, borderline hall of famer, Like three guys I know every team he model. How good are they though, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So Ricky all right, yeah, and Gary alone, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like there at the top, they said, who the second best group we need have since then? And it's only a couple of groups you can put on them. This group that we hadn't started, they haven't played a game together yet.
Speaker 2: We can't. We can't say yeah.
Speaker 3: So then you got your groups that you had, and you got different group Because people don't like to get Brandon Lloyd his problem b Lloyd was a problem.
Speaker 2: Then you had Randon's good player, but he was only here for what like a year ago? He was here for two years.
Speaker 1: Two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's been some groups since then. I just don't think.
Speaker 5: I think my most productive group was when I was in a slot in twenty twelve when we had.
Speaker 2: We had Hankerson, Pierre, Josh, Morgan, al and myself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a group that you can compare to those guys, But I still would put those guys in front of us because of the Super Bowls and everything.
Speaker 1: Longevity too, I said for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was fortunate.
Speaker 4: We got to play together for like seven years straight.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. It happened, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: And it gave the day like I mean, you know you just gonna get double who yat tight end? Then I mean we like we had like we had a UEA and then Ricky came on because it was really a two receivers, two receivers set for a long time. Ricky came in, Art got hurt, Ricky took his place, and then Ricky had the Super Bowl little recording and again are played in that game where Ricky started to Ricky. I didn't know that Ricky started to We came back the next year in training camp, they said first team up, and neither Ricky r Art stepped into the huddle. And then Art stepped into the huddle. And honestly, how he probably kept his starting job.
Speaker 2: Just thettle mam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, looking, we're all boys. But me and Ricky a boy, were gonna get in trouble together, hang out together, live at each other. Were a boy. I feel like workd it out, you know, But I cursed Ricky out. I was like, what was you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I should have got in there.
Speaker 4: You spoke the record of super Bow, super Bowl record breaker at that point time, you're the best in the super Bowl game. Why did you not step into the huddle?
Speaker 2: He even had course, I don't know.
Speaker 4: He wouldn't talking to hold On, he wouldn't talk to Joe, and then Joe at the next meeting, Joe k I just wanted everybody to know we've got three starting wide receivers. So he changed the whole and we got three starting parent for Clint Diddier because you were Clint very similar bad boy man boy, that boy boy could he catch everything.
Speaker 2: Look so y'all in the Houston oilers with the first to fight the full back.
Speaker 4: Y'all fired the full back at that funny time, and then Ricky Ricky was just Ricky was a beast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how that came about. That's what's up. So obviously I think we can say hell, y'all, the Posse, the Posse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I say it eight, I wouldn't say this group is the best group since the Posse, So I gotta go with the hell or no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I do think this group could have a special year this year, and we could be talking about him differently next year.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to be This is what I want to say.
Speaker 3: If you got a quarterback, your group is out of manly finna be up there anyway. So if you want to George quarterback, a whole line too, and I think this whole line is most important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, period, Yeah, talk about what we don't catch nothing of a whole line on block.
Speaker 1: Dude, you say that all the time.
Speaker 3: That's why Joe Chi Kobe should be in the Hall of Fame out So there's a lot of guys out their team that should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: There's not in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so this is really a question for Gary. Everyone can can contribute, but dan Quinn has built a culture very similar to that of when Joe Gibbs was here and I wasn't here with Joe Gibbs. With Joe Gibbs, you're a Joe Gibbs soon, maybe you can talk about.
Speaker 5: I was two point Oh Joe Gibbs. Somebody tell us about the first thing. When we talk about having the reason the game by having read.
Speaker 1: Has Fred, you gouts heard the story about how Fred got Joe Gibson.
Speaker 2: Man, we don't want to hear that story. I don't want to put his.
Speaker 1: Seven areas, so it hasn't heard your story. So you go ahead and tell that story real quick.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm not aod Gary, Gary talk. Gary talked to us about Joe Gibbs and his first thin. What was so special about Joe Gibbs and his first thin?
Speaker 2: And Washington?
Speaker 4: I mean the best? The best thing about Joe is Joe knew how to manage people. He knew that everybody, every player was not the same type of player. He knew I was not Art Monk, I was not ur. I didn't have the same mentality Art he knew how to coach each player differently. Like what you can say the art to get art fired is not the same thing you can say to me to get fired. Getting me fired up is talking shit about them. Yeah, I mean you're talking like like you.
Speaker 1: Do you have such an edge. This is the first time we hung out for a long time, old No, and I feel like I'm like, I feel the competitors.
Speaker 2: You can tell that him, and you tell that him and beat his teammate rock teammates.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's gray. We're having very similar mentality that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think about like what you're what you're saying there, And that's one of the things that I think Dan is excellent A yeah, is your ability to talk to people differently.
Speaker 3: Yes, like Fred let him know I got you back and be genuine When I say that that you don't get genuine from coaches and from being around coach Gibbs and being around Dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: That's the person you get twenty for seven.
Speaker 3: I don't have to say a guess what they what they say to me, I believe and what they say to me I trust.
Speaker 5: You don't get there without coaches. So so just to add to what Gary talked about a little bit with Joe Gibbs. I got a chance to you know, play with him for three years, uh in his second stint get two point oh.
Speaker 2: And what stood out to me about Coach Gibbs is something that he said to.
Speaker 5: Me a couple of times. One he spoke about handling guys differently. He told me, somebody say, you know, so one night I had a long night out and you want along that out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a long really, Yeah, I was hanging you know what I mean. I'm you know, I'm like, hey, I'm hit these streets hard man.
Speaker 5: Man. So on my way back, being that I was a smart guy. On my way back, I say, you know what dropped me off at the facility. I'd rather go in there and sleep in my locker so I could be to work instead of having the chance of getting up knowing that it was already four or five o'clock.
Speaker 2: So I go, as I'm going down to my LOCKEROW, I pump into.
Speaker 5: Joke GiB Coach Gibbs got a tower on pumping feet.
Speaker 2: Tap what you're doing here? What the hell going on? He like, damn telling where you're coming from. I'm like, Coach, I had I had a loan within, so I'm gonna come in here and sleep in my locker. He's like, all right, going to get you some sleep. I'm planning to take a shower. So the next morning I'm like, damn, Coach Gibbs here.
Speaker 5: So what I found out about Coach Gibbs, he's spent the night there, and that's what his routine for years. He would spend the night at the facility because he's putting in overtime work. And what he told me, you know, briefly before he went into the went to that meeting, he said, look, I'm glad that you're here. First in meetings, a lot of guys would have went home. So I know how much it's a meaning to you. And he say, I'm gonna tell you something about I don't I don't have a problem with you guys enjoying life. I understand that you're going to live the way you live. I'm a Christian. I don't do a lot of things that other guys do. But he said, as long as we are on the same occurred in between those white lines, that's all I have to worry about. And that stood out to me, you know, So basically telling you, like, look, man, go be a man, going, go and enjoy life.
Speaker 1: Do what you do.
Speaker 5: But when we blow that whistle and you and you in between them white lines, I need you to go out there and play the.
Speaker 2: Way I'm gonna expect you to play.
Speaker 5: So that stood out to me one and then then two something He did it also in that same year we scraped, We scratched our whole playbook, our passing game. He found out that our passing game wasn't working after Week one against Chicago, and he said, look, if you can run these plays that the other team is playing against whoever our opponent, that is that if you can run these routes, we're gonna we're gonna put more. We're gonna use what we always say, it's a copycat lead. We're gonna use what's working against the teams that we're facing. And so we went into every game in five playing against our opponent with the teams that they played against it or the gaming for us that they weren't successful, and we went and took their plays and like he just he kept the run game and he's changed the passing game. So that stood out to me, just showing that he was a guy that was willing to adapt, to adapt to what was going on now, and he also adapted to the players that he had, knowing that I can't be one of those guys to tell these guys that they can't do something, because they're gonna do it anyway.
Speaker 1: They are all men.
Speaker 2: So that stood out about Joe Gibson.
Speaker 5: That's why I understand why when you look back at his his whole resume, the reason why he was a two Bowl champion with three different quarterbacks, because he know how to get anybody to go out there and play for him.
Speaker 1: So back to the question, hell yeah, hell no. Do you feel like it's similar with Dan?
Speaker 2: Say hell yeah, yeah, hell yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what do you think?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I'm he said, he don't know the queen as much as what you said, yea.
Speaker 4: Last year, from what you saw, from what you saw from the queens, they had did that until he got here.
Speaker 1: So all right, so I'm gonna say hell yeah on that. And so I think this last one is for the fans. Okay, and we can answer this too, but we'll start with the fans. The commanders have all the pieces to win a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Now, hell yeah or hell no? That was pretty confident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do pretty confident when you get four quarters away from the super Bowl and you go retool the way we did.
Speaker 2: You call for reinforcements. Yes you have a chance. Do we got Jedi five? Yes, we got a chance. Do we got coach Quinn? Yes we got a chance? All right?
Speaker 3: We got bigger also that we found out when we played that game against Philadelphia in the NFC Championship. We need to get bigger, all right, that's what we did in our season. Yeah, we gotta change. As long as we got five on the center, we got a chance to dance.
Speaker 4: See you in Spain, you got They got the taste it too. They got the taste what success feels like. And during a long time have been since you guys played that, they have a chance to taste what success felts like. And once you get that taste, though, it's like a good stick, I'm gonna have another good stick, not taste not only to many good stacks.
Speaker 5: They also understood what it feels like to honestly go out there and laya a you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not saying like got finished, not not finished. The game.
Speaker 5: I think when you look at that game the way Jayden Daniels finished that game and play. Yeah, every guy that went out there that didn't play their best, I guarantee you they felt bad. Yeah, watching this guy, this young rookie quarterback go out there and give us a chance. We still had a change five minutes left and after all those turnovers.
Speaker 2: So if I'm ever a part of a.
Speaker 5: Game like that, to know that this is what we have in QB, man, give me another change, give me an at a time, man, give me at a shout at it, because I know that I'm gonna be better next time out, because I'm not gonna allow to let my play affect what that young man did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So obviously we're really excited about the upcoming twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 2: Wants It Thanks to the Muti Man. This is an awesome ye.
Speaker 1: Plase coming out too. This looks like a great sponsor. Come watch the Commander's game. Thanks to the Command Force for coming out Major Tunny, I don't know a left coming out knock it up. Thanks for all the questions and make sure you like to subscriber. We get this podcast and if you like Gary Clark, you like Doug Williams. You like some of the more you know the history of this league. Guy, No, no, the guys that actually won out and rushed for of this team. Check out the hell Tails podcast. That's wherever you get your commander's podcast. Appreciate you, guys, fans, Thank you so much for coming out. You make this so much fun to do. Really appreciate it. Good night and that's it.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, hey have you been found? Like Hurra though, Thank you