Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast contained spoilers for season four, episode nine of Succession on HBO and season two episode eight of Yellow Jackets on the Beleagered Showtime Network. Hello. My name is Jason Concepcio and I'm Rosie Knight, and welcome to x revision of the Crooked Media podcast, where we dive deep in to your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, Market Moves, It's rip to that Man in Succession season four, episode nine, what happens when a business titan like Logan Mory dies? We will find out air Lock. It's Yellowjackets season two, episode eight. And if you were hoping it was going to be more hopeful than the last two episodes, you're wrong. It's a total bummer in the best way, of course, and in not out. I'm very excited for this one. It's Maya talking about Pacific Rim, one of my favorite movies. Underrated gem love it, Love it up.
Speaker 1: Next, Market Boobs. When I was a young boy, my father locked me into a kennel and said, now you're a dog. He said, Roam, you're a dog.
Speaker 2: Now do dog things.
Speaker 1: Scratch with your hind legs, eat kibble from a bowl, he said, Hey, are you a sicko? Because I sexed Jerry who was a million years old. Now Mankin is funeral and Ken knows I fucked it.
Speaker 2: I fucked it.
Speaker 1: I guess I really fucked it. It's time for Market Moves. Yeah, your number one source for passive income, active income, aggressive income, and all kinds of income that flows directly into your numerous, unnumbered bank accounts stashed anonymously all over the globe.
Speaker 2: Don't pay taxes.
Speaker 1: Talk to you now, why? Of course that doesn't even need to be said.
Speaker 2: To pay them.
Speaker 1: Over here at Market Moves we live. We live by two rules. Don't pay taxes and buy drones.
Speaker 2: That's it. Oh, you need to know.
Speaker 1: We're here to We're here to talk about Episode nine, Church and State of the Succession television program, season four, directed by Mark Mylott, written by Jesse Armstrong, and we open on the wake of election Day. New York City and the country in general are in an uproar because of the events of election night. Protests of an increasingly hysterical nature are everywhere in the city, focused primarily on atn HQ. Tom wams Gans is under a particular scrutiny because he is the guy who made the call. There's a TikTok story in New York and the New York Times, the liberal New York Times about who made the call and how it happened and who did what. Meanwhile, preparations are of course underway for the great Man himself Logan Roy's funeral. Roman Roy is practicing his speech for the Big Energy Spot. You will recall the previous episode he had locked down that Big Energy Spot. Well, now he's kind of running through his lines and guess what, he's unworried. He is chilling, he grieved, he's chilling all the stuff in the streets. You know. Carrie's looking great. He's putting on face cream, he's wearing his suits. He looks good. He's ready for it. Ken calls and says, hey, Rome, Uh, you know your buddy Jared Mencoln, the future president of the United States. Could you get him to turn down the heat on the rhetoric a little, maybe stop firing up the ops because it is the day of our dad's funeral and uh, you know other stuff. Just get him chill out. Rome is like whatever. Then Ken gets a call from Rava, his ex, and she basically says, hey, Ken, the city's aflame. It's scary out there in these streets, thanks in no small part to you and your family. And so I've decided to take our beautiful children, Sophie and Iverson. Every time I've decided to take our children, Sovie and Iverson out of the city. Ken loses it, drives at high speed across the city in front of V's cars. All types of laws, but you know what are what are laws to a great man such as Ken Roy Nothing. He gets there just as they're pulling away, and he's like, listen, you can't take my kids out of the city. I'm gonna get an injunction from the governor or whoever to make sure that legally you can't flee the city with my children. And by the way, what are you gonna do. You're gonna fucking run me over. I'm gonna lay in front of your car. Is that what you want to do? And Ravas says, whatever, I'm leaving. She gets in the car and leaves. First prompts Rosie, what's this problem? What's that problem?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: I mean, sure, sure, sure.
Speaker 2: How kids I'll being threatened? How young child might be being.
Speaker 1: Everybody's kids are threatened by a See, you know, kids are small, that's what.
Speaker 2: That's what happens. That's small. They can't fight for themselves.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh, suddenly she wants to go up state. Can't go to racist Ken's racist dad's funeral. I see, seems very coincidental. As Ken says, she's too online, she's dumb. Why does she believe this? You know, Nazis are running wild in the streets. Who cares? She doesn't care. Also, I will point out that right rather's got the best of both worlds. She's the ex wife of a billionaire, so the anarchists hate her, and her child is Indian, so the Nazis hate her. I mean, what else? What could she want? What more? What's wrong with her?
Speaker 1: I think it's time for Sophie and Iverson who I'm guessing. I'm kind of like, you know, I test measuring their age. I'm going to put them at like twelve and thirteen somewhere around there. I think it's time for them to be the bigger person. I think it's time for them to show a little adult responsibility, a little you know, just to be the bigger person in this and say yeah, my granddad fostered some of the worst impulses currently infecting the national body, and my dad helped elect a raving racist whose followers have attacked me in the streets. But for the sake of the country, I'm gonna show unity right now, gonna I'm gonna go to this funeral. And I know kids love funeral, they love them.
Speaker 2: And also there's like five hundred people that you know, they need those extra bodies in the room, like otherwise it's gonna look suspicious. Okay, be prompt. How likely is it that can gets custody?
Speaker 1: Zero? Zero? I mean, first of all, I yeah, I have a wrong suspicion that the kids are gonna say we don't want to we we don't want a change in the customer situation. And I think the fact that Ken sees his kids like once every six to eight months, maybe ye leads me to believe that Rava, who is you know, there on the ground on the day to day and the minute to minute raising of the children will continue in that regard, despite the fact that, like a coward, she is fleeing the greatest city on earth just because of a few bad apples.
Speaker 2: Nothing to worry about.
Speaker 1: That's it nothing to worry about. The fine people of the NYPD will keep them safe. Shive then shive, then shive then prevails on Lucas Matson to release this statement on those pesky Indian numbers. Got to release the statement about those Indian numbers. Listen, there's never gonna be a better time. The country is falling apart. Protesters are in the streets. Everybody is consumed with how the fuck did this guy, Jared macer get elected? Is he even elected?
Speaker 2: Is it legal?
Speaker 1: What the hell's going on? Is it legal? Protests, counter protests, fires, riots, Just release the Indian numbers. Nobody's gonna fucking kid.
Speaker 2: She was right?
Speaker 1: Matson? Meanwhile, is like she was right? Matson. Meanwhile, it was like, Hey, get me in a room with Jared Macon. I am, after all, a very tall, white, blonde man. I think as a Nazi he would look an aria at at and he will understand. Yeah, I think he'll understand I'm someone he can work with and atn Tom is of course dealing with the hectic newsday. Is these protests rack the country?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: And he's also consumed with the fact that in that New York Times story, about how the call happened. He is frankly not given enough credit for making the call.
Speaker 2: He's like, hey, if I if I'm if I'm the one who made the call. Look Tom's right, He's like, if I'm the one who made the call, if I made the Nazi powerful, I want to get my Gobels money. Where's my where's my credit? I want people to know I am the pr person for the Nazi. I'm only getting a little. I'm getting a little, one sentence in this giant two page spread. That's it. That's it. Why is Darwin getting all the credit?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Fuck Darwin.
Speaker 2: He didn't even want to do I want.
Speaker 1: To do it. Also, Tom is the wheelman. I think back right, he's front, front right, So he's got a front right. That is a prime spot, folks. And so that means he's got to get out of there, got to get to the church. But of course, you know, things are really again, very very busy at eighteen headquarters. Later, Ken learns that his stalwart assistant since season one, Jess, who has put up with all manner of things in service to kenroy Is, is leaving him. Is taking her leave. He gets really petulant about it. And he's like, hey, you'll never get access like this again, like a thought leader or you know, like a business leader. And then he's like, hey, so is this about mencing? Why? Just because it is about mancing with your kids, and it is about mencing with your ex wife, and it is about macon with your fan the whole country, manking in every other sphere and the whole country. Just because it's about mancing with everybody else, it has to be about making with Jess ps, it's probably about mencoing. And then he closes with you have no idea how things will turn out. It's very juvenile.
Speaker 2: He says, you're the fucking your job, dumb great great job, great job. Can well definitely gonna keep Jess around. And honestly, Jess has put up with so much shit I truly cannot believe this is the straw that I think that A key moment is when she tried to get Greg to not tell them to call it. She was like, you could just delay it for a few minutes. And he's like, well, someone's got to call it, and she's like and she's like, yeah, they're all fucked, Like Jess is, it's all about menkin and Jess is on her way out, and I think Kendall is starting to realize now it is all about Menkin.
Speaker 1: That leads us to prompt number two. What is the very best thing about working for a demanding boss who you don't respect?
Speaker 2: I would hope in this case it would be lots of money, because the Roys are extremely friach. I would also hope, I hope it is that. I would also hope that Jess had taken advantage of Kendall's ego and his need to be cool to maybe get some stock options. I feel like Jess could be coming out of this in a very profitable way. I also feel like Jess, if she wanted to go more like the Jerry route, probably has some quite legit skeletons that she could unbury for the Roys. So I think not respecting a rich and powerful man is always fun. So that's a boon. But I would hope for Jess lots and lots of money would be the best thing.
Speaker 1: What do you think, and of course the access What do you think that the access to ken you know, like Kendall Roy a bad human being? Do you what? What do you think Jess is pulling down in the employee of kendlroy I too.
Speaker 2: I think so there is a generally, there's a general rule that if you are an assistant a PA, even for like a big person or in a bank, they generally say you'll never learn earn more than sixty sixty K. But we know that's not true. I think I think you're right. I think she's probably worked her way up to about one fifty with bonuses, and it's definitely not enough because that is fucking pocket change for these schmos.
Speaker 1: Destroy it. I mean, being a accessory to the destruction of the country for a one fifty a year, like I just get that military budget money eight hundred billion. At the church, Roman approaches Frank about coming aboard his waist star project. Whatever that means.
Speaker 2: He's feeling confident.
Speaker 1: Uh, He's feeling very confident right now. He's got the president in his breast pocket. He's about to give the big speech, the big the big energy spot at the funeral. Uh and listen, he's ready. It certainly seems to kind of help. Can exit stage left? Should Roman ascend to the pinnacle job at wast Star Royco, Greg eager to leverage his role in crowning the new Preys is absolutely desperate. Meanwhile, for an intro Tomkin, we catch up with the Lady Carroll in Collingwood, the mother, of course, of the siblings Ken, Roman and Shive. She honestly has never been happier than presiding front pew over the funeral of her ex husband.
Speaker 2: It's a best day of her life. Like I will just say, I believe you're about to get to this, but I believe this is arguably the power move of the episode. Oh yeah, yeah. When Caroline, who is a horrible person, I will say that we have to disclaim it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot human being as they all are in this moment because she wants to fuck with everyone.
Speaker 2: She reconnects all of the side pieces and the partners and the wives, Marsha, Kerry and her own Kerry, Sally Ann makes my Kerry and she said, sits them in the front row, and we actually get I mean, she freaks everyone from way star out. You know, everyone's like, what the fuck is Kerry doing in the front row. This gives her some kind of leverage. Kerry bought a lawyer because she thought they wouldn't let her in, and now she's in this front row.
Speaker 1: It's so funny and we.
Speaker 2: Actually get you know, I would say in any other place on market moves that this would be a sign of weakness, but I actually think we get a great new power cell that is born here. When Marsha puts her hand over Kerry's hand and kind of reassures her after making a great joke about she was like, well, at least Logan won't be fucking grinding his teeth tonight. None of us havefered to listen to that shit. I loved that. That was That was the power move of the episode for me. Caroline doing something maybe right, even for fucked up reasons. Just once.
Speaker 1: She shiv pulls Mattson aside and she has an idea pitch mancin On an American CEO, you know, like cultural, an executive that understands the American culture, that like that mancan can be a man who is has deep seated rage against immigrants, even white ones, even Swedish people. This is a move, even Swedish people. This is a move that he could potentially get behind. And so Lucas is like, it's interesting, it's interesting who should I choose and shive hems and haws or Hems once, and then Hawes once, and then eventually she's like me should be me, It should be Shivroy and he's like, well, you have your inexperience. You have no experience doing this right, And she's like yeah, but like you know, I have the political acumen, the contacts, all that stuff I'm great with. And then Matts is like, Okay, fine, let's assume that's the case. Aren't you with child? Aren't you pregnant? She's like yeah, but I'm not gonna Let's let's face facts. I'm gonna be a terrible mom. I Am not going to be plugged in. Uh. It will take a village to raise my child, because I will hire a village. I'll be on the you know, the text with you, on the zoom link with you while I'm having my vanity Cesarean. Don't worry about it. Everybody's gonna say that I'm a terrible mom. But here's the upside. Everyone's also going to say Shive's inexperience. She just had a kid. It's Lucas Max doing the strings. They're going to give you all the credit for everything.
Speaker 2: Dude, this is smart. That was extremely bleak, but it does appeal to mass insensibility. He's into it. He was like, Ah, you're a hot ass. He's like, you're gonna be misogynous against yourself and I love it. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: The funeral begins with some Vivaldi and the coffin walk with the family in tow, and then, much to almost everyone's chagrin, Uncle Ewen bolts I was that pulpit. Uncle Ewan, the neo socialist billionaire brother of Logan Roy who, while he often stridently criticizes his brother, is also happy to take his brother's money. He gets to the pulpit, Greg can't stop him, Shive can't stop him. He gets up there and he seizes for himself the brutust spot, the coveted brutust first speech spot at the funeral. He says, what sort of people? What's stop a brother speaking for the sake of a share price? Boom, and then he proceeds to tell to quite revealing actually anecdotes about Logan. The first is as children four and a half and five years old, taking their ocean passage from Europe to North America. I believe Canada at first is where they first landed. During World War two, and how because their boat lost power and was left behind by the convoy, they had to sit in silence lest their position be revealed to the U boats. And during this time, which you know, unfolded over numerous days, these two children just communicated with gestures and looks in each other's eyes. And Roman is listening to this, and he's quite emotional. It's clear that this is hitting him. Then, the second anecdote is about how Logan came home from boarding school and always believed that he brought home polio from boarding school, which then infected their baby sister, Rose, who you'll remember that Rose was used as a little bit of a landmine to set up Readrell at Logan's birthday party a couple of seasons back. Okay, this apparently, by the way, the thought that he had given his baby sister polio obviously tortured him, and his uncle and aunt that took care of him never really tried to talk about of the thought that he in fact caused his sister to die. He then closes with a denunciation of Logan's life and works. I think the important comment here is he has wrought the most terrible things. It's true, Ewan says, it's it's quite true. Your thoughts on the speech.
Speaker 2: I love this speech. I think Ewan came through strong. I was hoping he would be there. I feel like the real power line of any of the speech was who would stop a brother speaking for the sake of a share price? I think that's a really good one. I think he was, you know, tough but fair on Logan, and as we will see, he did a set up Kendall pretty well.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: I do think the biggest impact this speech had was on Roman, because we knew that the kids knew that Logan was scared of water, and there's that like weird thing with Kendall being obsessed with water and water being this like huge thing in his life and his dad being terrified of it, and now we know why. I feel like there is a strange realization here from Roman about how his dad was a really fucked up, hurt person just like he is, and that's kind of why he treated him that way. I don't think he was like upset with you, and I think he believed everything you and said, the bad stuff the good stuff. And if you compare that to where he was at at the beginning when he's practiced like my dad was a great man, Like my dad was this great titan of business and industry. I feel like post you and speech and the kind of revelations about Logan's childhood and also the reality of Logan's impact. Roman can't get up on stage in front of five hundred people in front of a live stream question mark that seems to be going on. He doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: Like, it doesn't feel like he can get up there and pretend anymore. The pre grieving has run out.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned it. It's Roman's turner.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: Roman has been talking about how he pre grieved and he's fine, he's doing great, all that stuff, and then as soon as he gets up there with his pink cue cards, he just folds humiliatingly under the weight of everything. Connor Kennon Shiv have to escort him from the pulpit as Rome, hysterical and whimpering like the kennel dog that he is, wonders loud if Logan is in fact in the box and whether they can get him out he is I think, I think clearly by the way, calling back to that trauma of his own trauma of being trapped in that tunnel as his family had put him in. Now thinking about his dad that way, and it's a moment I think that we could use to humanize Roman, but I won't. I think if anything, Roman deserves this and much more. Ken then takes the wheel and he acknowledges that you and Hey, in Greg's words, has a strong take about Logan, but it was right. He was a brute, very tough guy. Then Ken transitions into a pretty strident defense of him, like as Logan is a man of action, he's a doer. He was full of life. I hope that you know that vim and vigor of life is in me, because otherwise this world will be you know, like peaceful and in harmony, with all the kind of like plurality of different races and creeds and everybody, you know, being able to coexist in at times fractuous civilization, but one that is essentially non violent and able to adhere to the tenets of a democracy, and that would be super boring, terrible. Blood in the streets capitalisire. Yeah, like that's we need money.
Speaker 2: It's gushing out of orifices, the blood of life.
Speaker 1: Shiv gets up and she starts with a small anecdote about how Dad yelled at the kids to be quiet, you know, when they were playing around outside of his study. And then she transitions to a really hard kind of like actually hard to follow and hard to parse, but also tearful goodbye, where she says, you know, goodbye to my world of a dad prompt number three. Power Ranking the speeches we got Ewan, we got Ken, we God Shiv, and we get Connor's long.
Speaker 2: Speech that we don't.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: Praying with every fiber of my being that Connor would get up after Roman. There was a moment when he thought it was time his formalist, experimental speech.
Speaker 1: It's like James Joyce's ulysses like we're not.
Speaker 2: The time Jason, like, don't you know, like gonna see how it goes. That's one of the things Willa likes most about it, and she is a playwright. You know, I wish we had heard Connor's speech, but it's also perfectly act that he is the one who doesn't get to speak. Power rank. The funeral speech is Roman, You're at a bottom that's gonna end up decimating you. Sorry, we knew it was gonna happen. There's a sorry, there's a perfect moment that is coming up that everyone saw. If you've ever had to deal with the Jared Mankin, you're done, your political capital, your space in the industry.
Speaker 1: You have shown, you have shown.
Speaker 2: How dare you have an emotion as a as a male in this industry. You're in trouble.
Speaker 1: Don't shive next.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. She it was a very revealing speech, Like when she kind of kept calling Logan terrifying, I think that spoke to how the kids really feel about him. She tried to go for some of that Kendall like recognition of who her father really was. I think if she'd have just gotten up there and said the line goodbye to my world of a father, that could have been a very high ranking power speech, because that really did speak to like the immensity of Logan. But it's a bit too wooly. I think you're right. Hard to pass. It's hard for me coming out of this. Kendall is probably number one only because he wants to be. He will use this to average himself. He got an ovation, People were clapping for him. He seemed to balance the truth of what Youwan said and managed in that way. Kendall is number one because I think you and speech was more powerful and I love Youan and I love to see him out there just chatting mad shit on his brother. I was really hoping that was going to happen. But the reality is Kendall was able to use that speech that broke Roman to leverage himself into a position of this is my dad. I'm giving this like eulogy forever. That will be remembered and people will be like, oh, he was a really great orator. He did that off the dome, like he didn't even have notes, you know. So I think Kendall does end up number one, my head canon number one. Connor. I believe if he got up then he did twenty five minute speech, everyone would be like, oh my God, make him president, Like this is it. He changed the way we write speeches. He's got us job as a speech writer for Jared Menkin. The world would change, but we never saw it. So that's my ranking.
Speaker 1: I am gonna go Roman number one because I love the genre. I just love drama. You know, it wasn't also rely a speech per se, but it was. It's very dramatic. It was emotion to revel and it certainly is going to be very popular on the social media platforms coming up, and I think, you know, anytime I get to luxuriate in the heartbreak of another human being, I have to do it. That's one of my That's one of the things we really really enjoy here on Market Moves Number two, I'm gonna go with Connor ghost written by Willa, of course, the non foremost speech. I think, I think look for Willa to be somewhere up there, pretty high up in the communications department for President Mencoln. I think, listen, Mencoln likes to likes to say very strident and strong things about the country. But like, wouldn't it be cool if that was done in a really art tistic kind of like non linear way as well? Then I'm going to ken like a great Vanilla speech. It did what it needed to do. Followed by Shiv, who I'm going to put last because you know, where's the numbers, where's the facts? Where is the celebration of emotion on her dad's strength and vigor? Where were the metaphors about like what a what a virile man? He was too emotional? You know, ultimately the emotion gods who are also a democrat, So I'm putting her lasta Next, we go to the cemetery where Logan will lie in eternity in a mausoleum built by the CEO of bets.
Speaker 2: Five mil great deal, as Kendall says, a great deal for five mail.
Speaker 1: Ken learns that Mattson and Shiv are going to run the old American seats play with Lincoln, so he tells Hugo. He tells Hugo to to we need to prepare the ground for this. I need you to float a news item anonymously, of course, that the family, certain members of the family are against the Gojo deal because basically because the price is too low. And he tells Hugo flat out, listen, here's what it is. And I show you my dick. I want to kill the deal, and if you want to help me, you can. But here's the deal. You're not a collaborator. I don't even I don't ever want to know what you're thinking, what you're You're a fucking yes man. You're a dog. But quote scraps from the table will be millions, millions happy, to which Hugo replies, wolf word.
Speaker 2: Visius Stevens delivered.
Speaker 1: Glad that delivering and I'm glad that finally you know it's out there, that this is what the world is, This is how it is. Man a problem with it? This is how it is. Man, you had a problem with it. What if we pay you, you have a problem with it. What if we don't pay you? Either way, I'm still gonna have a book decide to pay you or not. He's still gonna have a problem, and it's your problem, not mine. At the reception, Ken corners Colin. You'll recall, of course, Colin, the one guard of Logan Roy, who was once also Ken's pursuer, because he knew that untidy little fact about Ken that he uh, you know, he killed.
Speaker 2: Him just accidentally. It was like it wasn't really his fault, you know, it was very real.
Speaker 1: He did kill a guy. That guy is no longer alive, right, he's dead now, and uh and Colin knows it. And Colin has been talking to a therapist because he's very, very stressed. He of course has this knowledge that Ken has, you know, taken a life, and his protector in Logan Roy is gone and he's probably out of a job. And Ken flexes by letting Colin know, Hey, I know you've been seeing a shrink. That's very alarming that you're that the son of your boss would know that you're seeing a therapist.
Speaker 2: Very threatening, but very very.
Speaker 1: Very threatening, and not a subtle threat at that. But Ken then comes, there's the stick, here's the carrot. Come work for me, Come talk to me. You want a shoulder to cry on, You want to put your feet up on a couch, Well you can do that metaphorically by driving me around and being my body. Ken then approaches Mencin about you know that Gojo deal. You're going to kill the Gojo deal, right because we declared that you're the president, And MENCN, very troublingly, is suddenly very very wishy washy about this deal to kill the Gojo deal. And he's also, by the way, clearly enjoying the fact that he as president has a relationship with the electorate aka at N's audience that maybe Ken doesn't quite have. Is oh, I thought you were the sound system. Now you want to choose the track? And he also and he says, you know about the deal, I've always said I'll help. But before they can really get down to brass tacks, Greg comes over, and then Connor comes over trying to pitching a what wait, what did he pitch a Habsburg equivalent for the EU, right, But it's the happy It's a happy Burg something or other, which is just like okay. And then mencan mocks Roman for crying over his father's corpse. And that is the moment where you know, yeah, that Jared feels like he has not beholden out to any promise he made to the roy family because they showed their belly. Roman showed his throat like a little puppy dog, laid down and then and then lifted his leg to show that little pink belly and his tail is thumping on the ground, and he's got maybe a little raw high bone in his mouth, and he's saying, President Jerry, will you bet my belly? Yeah? And Jared Mankin is disgusted by.
Speaker 2: H He's saying no, as he should. He's like, he calls him tiny tears. No. He is making all kinds of insults. And I have to say, this is a great moment for me because you've had this very interesting switch in Kendall, which I personally do think was probably Jess was the straw that broke the Caramel's back. But Kendall comes out of that funeral and he thinks he's a killer. He is the killer Logan always wanted him to be. He's threatening people, he's getting bodyguards to work for him. He's telling Hugo, you're my dog, like Roman was my dad's dog. And then he thinks he can do that to Jared Mankin thinks one he thought he could trust a Nazi stupid. Two he goes over and he thinks he's doing something really tough. And then all of his annoying male relatives come over and just make it look like it just looks like Kendall was trying to do what they were doing. Like he just looks just as ridiculous as Connor, he looks just as ridiculous as Roman, he looks just as ridiculous as Greg. He is nobody. And then we get that ultimate, you know, big fucking boss move from Shiv that's just so perfectly timed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to pull him away. But before that, let's get to prompt number four. You saw how MENCN, who is a born bully, treats someone who is weaker and less powerful than him, or has shown himself to be weaker by showing emotion. The kind of emotion that, like say, a son might show at the loss of a parent day at least is the problem? Number four, people who are weaker and less powerful than you. What gives why would they do that? What's their problem?
Speaker 2: How could they?
Speaker 1: What's their issue?
Speaker 2: You're telling me you're you're less powerful than a Nazi president. Oh so bad. Oh, it must be so hard for you. Your dad died and you're crying at his funeral. Give me, Come on, your dad was abusive to you, and now you're crying. He's gone. Over it, he's gone. It's been it's been seven days since he's gone it.
Speaker 1: Come on, go over it, Come on, stop it. Take your millions and and and take them up and tear them into little cleanex pieces and dab your eyes with them and get back to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and me some money. What do you think this is? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What do you think this is a handout factory? You think this is handout? I think this is the You think this is like a soup factory. Finally, Shiv pulls, making a way to talk to lucas perfectly American CEO. You know, American CEO understands the values and it's Shiv and then Shiv make sure that she that mencan knows that Listen. Whatever my personal political views are, I don't give a fuck about him because a ten viewers love you. I have no morals. I told a sexual abuse victim to just shut up and take a money, Mariam, and I'm willing to do that on a massive every day, on a nationwide scale, every day. I know that atn's viewers love you, and let's face it, we need them, and so we're gonna give them as much making as they can take. What do you say? And Jared mancon seems to he seems to buy this, He's fine with it. I think he likes the fact that a Democrat would bow to him, yes, also a supposed liberally.
Speaker 2: I think he loves that. And I also think in that moment he respects Shiven mats and don't fuck around. They don't try. Ken was doing all this amorphous analogous like are you gonna help me? When I helped you, I butted your bread and now you want to give me the jelly Madison and Shiver like, we'll if you do a deal with us, we'll just support you for like years. But you have to let the deal go first, Shiver Madson. Now listen to this business listeners who care about business and doing important business deals. They want from Menkin something he can give them first. That was the big mistake Roman made. They gave Menkin what he wanted immediately. If they'd out without any they'd have held out, if they'd have even got a recorded a phone call where he agreed to it, so they could threaten him with prid quid pro quote, and yet they didn't. So Shive and Matson, if Menkin helps them push the deal through, they will have gotten that and then they can either welch or kind of navigate that deal as it comes. But Ship's made it clear she doesn't care. She'll support him. She'll be wearing a little ATM and you know pro Jared Mankin t shot. She's gonna be calling her baby Jared as long as she gets that CEO position she's in. She's all in.
Speaker 1: Outside in the streets, protests are growing. It's getting a bit Tiennemini out there. Tom says to Shive a reference to something that happened in history. I forget what it was. Then, quite belatedly, he apologizes Shive for not being there, you know, for the funeral and for winter dad died and all the stuff, and then he says, you know, by the way, I was the first person who got to kneel next to your dad's dead body and say goodbye, and that was a lot and he kind of breaks down a little bit, although you don't see the tears, and next thing, you know, the on again, off again, weirdo toxic relationship is.
Speaker 2: Especially when Lady Caroline comes over and congratulates them. That's right.
Speaker 1: Uh. Then Shiv gets Carl from Matten. It's a yes, he says. Now this brings us to prompt number five and potentially the biggest prompt of the show's history. It's a yes from Mencin. It's a yes from the board. What is the yes? Who is the yes?
Speaker 2: I think, using all my business acumen that I have gained over many years of being a rich business person, I believe it's Mencin. Because Ken is still very much trying to control the narrative of the board, and we know that Hiv has not approached Frank, Shiv has not approached Karl. Shiv has not been playing the Hugo game. The board aspect is what Ken is trying to play. I think Jered was very impressed with their little pitch. She likes the idea. He can see the way that the tide is turning aka Kendall and Roman of the Useless Brothers, which many of us knew, and she is now ready to make this deal with the devil. He gets a you know, a white woman to stand in this place. He can say it's an inclusive, open, democratic space. I mean, she worked, she worked for stunt double Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 1: She she can, she can have it all because she's a woman exactly.
Speaker 2: And I think that Matt's she's gonna lean in, She'll she'll call us out. It's gonna it's she's gonna hold us accountable.
Speaker 1: This is her fight song.
Speaker 2: And I think Jared's people very quickly called Matson and said absolutely, that's a better plan. And also, let's be real, I think that old you know, Alexander scarsguard Matson. I think he was right. I think Jared probably liked seeing a weird, six foot five Aryan guy saying I'll do whatever you want. There's multiple airs to this, but I believe it was I believe it was.
Speaker 1: Mancan I think that I think the pitch too about tech and social and the fact that Gojo understands that world in a way that you know, people who have been involved with cable news for the last several decades don't really understand it. That's that's a growth industry, you know, as matts And himself has said, cable news, you know atm that's for you know, sixty and seven year old angry retireing is like, this is not a growth business. And I think his pitch that hey, we know social, like that's a place for you to have international reach, not just not just reach within this country, but growing international and cultural reach. And I think that was a big deal. I think that really I think that turned his head. Yeah. So yeah, I think it is menk and who gave the s Ken and Rome ship of taking this call and glowing across the room. Uh. And Ken is like like, I think we're in trouble with Mencin. I think we need to fix this in Romans like, no, what Mencon would not stand me? Why why would he trust totray me? He's a trustworthy got Me and him we're tight. It was so tight. What are you talking about? And Ken is like that's I'm sorry, but I think that's happening. And then he says, and you want to know why it's happening, although he doesn't really make the connection that that concrete, but he basically says, you know, well, it's you know, you did fuck it up, you know, the funeral speech. You did lose your shit, You fucked it, you fucked it with Jared. And Roman knows it's true. It's true, he knows. And then Ken says, you know, we have to get real and fight Ship at the board. And of course Ken has a plan, and he needs Roman, much like Hugo, to.
Speaker 2: Be's li little dog and.
Speaker 1: The little dog carrier and to help him fetch papers and fetch his slippers and and lie quietly at the foot of his chair. Meanwhile, video of Roman's lack remost speech is already circulating the internets. Is as they say, you know, boosted by the Gojo algorithm. I'm sure, and it's not great. You know, Carl and Frank are watching it. Jerry's there, and you know, of course, Jerry and Frank because they are you know, more or less decent human beings, are like, oh, we shouldn't be watching this. Carlo is like, oh, but but it's out there. We got to watch it. We should we have to watch Roman in despair brought to his lowest point from his highest point. You know, earlier in the day he was about riding as high as as any Roy could possibly be. And now he's essentially finished it. He's he's, in his brother's words, absolutely fucked it. The video of him weeping is circulating the globe. Dick pics, uh, you know are soon to follow. I'm sure to be out there. And Roman in despair goes out to see the protests. He sees the protesters running down the street and he starts braiding them, and then he jumps over the the police fence that separates them from the crowd, and he starts braiding them again. And next thing you know, Roman is beaten and bloody on the pavement.
Speaker 2: Okay, final prompt. How long has it been since Roman got punched? Because I feel like he's someone who hasn't been punched enough, and I feel like this was like maybe the first time he took a punch that wasn't from his dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not counting from any of his siblings. I'm gonna say that what is Roman Roy probably like thirty seven or thirty eight I am gonna guess that he has not been slugged for twenty years. I agree, I agree. Yeah, let's go down the Roy family. When's the last time that Ken has been punched?
Speaker 2: I think Ken has been punched in the last like two years at least, because remember, he's going out, he's like smoking crack, he's getting into Shenanigans, he's going to a bar, he's he's hanging out with people who probably get sick of his ship a lot quicker than the rest of them. So he's probably taken more more hits than I feel like Rome has been relatively condil aside from the Charlt abuse.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. And and of course Ken did take a pretty pretty hard hit when his forehead hit the steering wheel of the car that the young man that he killed, Yes, died in Conroy. When's the last time Connor now he may have he I think he might have secret Service protection now. So it's certainly I knew like Connorlander.
Speaker 2: Maybe I knew like Conna probably could talk his way out of many situations, not because he's particularly good at it, but because you would just get bored. You'd be like, please stop talking. I'm not even gonna get into this. He's also very tall, so I think Connor I think he might be running in along not punched. Also, we do get an interesting insight into the secret closeness that Connor had to Logan this episode. That hints to me he also probably never even got a slap from Logan because he was the only one who knew about the He was the only one who knew the Pets dot Com CEO Mausoleum existed. It's like the only real child. Because he wasn't seen as a business threat, Logan almost just let him in on the ridiculous shit that he was up to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I think that was clearly the case where Logan was like, here's something that you can handle. Will you close this deal? From my mother?
Speaker 2: Also final grim power play by Logan because the Mausoleum did have space for the family.
Speaker 1: He was like, you going me, you know you can enjoy it. And then finally Shivroy.
Speaker 2: I hate to think about it, but I reckon she's almost as recent as Kendall. She her relationship with Tom is very bad. I I won't I won't allege that Tom is a wife beat up. I believe ship has gotten herself into some very bad relationships, and she also chats a lot of shit, and as we say in England, chatshit get banged. So I'm sure she's had problems. I believe it's a problem.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit of a trick question, because a couple of episodes ago, of course, Tom did flick her your lobes, saying that they were thick like barnacle.
Speaker 2: One of the best insult. Gonna count it one of the best insult.
Speaker 1: We're gonna count it, I agree. Up next, a special segment of Market Moves for a quick and punchy take on the state of our world and how much longer can hang on? Look no further than Crooked Media is What a Day Newsletter aka WAD n L. In just a few minutes, you'll be up to speed on the day's top news, as well as stories that may have gone under your radar. Subscribe to the Whataday Newsletter at Crooked dot com slash daily. I gotta have my WAD. Welcome to a bonus segment of Market Moves, your favorite source for all the information about money, stocks, bonds, trading, etc. So we've here at Market Moves. We have been the target of some spurious criticism.
Speaker 2: Fumatt.
Speaker 1: We are biased, we are right leaning, we are only slightly to the left of piracy, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, and so to help balance things out, if that's even something we need to do, we would love to. Uh now have a big Market Moves Welcome for the hosts of the Offline podcast, liberal commentators Jon Favreau and Max Fisher, Welcome to the Welcome to the Market Moves program, gentlemen.
Speaker 5: Her big fan, big fan of Market Moves.
Speaker 1: Well, we're you're joining us on a on the perfect day. Ronda Santis has recently announced that he will be joining Elon Musk and together they will be announcing Ronald. I'm close with him, so I can call him Ronald, Ronald, Ronald's presidency, his his chase for the presidency, his presidential campaign, as it were. Gentlemen, Lucas Matson and Jared Mancin are Elon Musk and Rond de Santas.
Speaker 5: I can see that, I see.
Speaker 6: I think the question of who Jared Mancin is actually a really interesting one, and I think people looking for like, oh, is he Dissanti, is is he Howley? Is he Tom Cotton and like I always felt very clear to me who he is, which is he is the exact person that I've always heard every democracy watchdog like professional say they are most worried about. Which is a like Donald Trump demagogue plus s a far right YouTuber.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah yeah, like a smart Yeah, he's a smarter Donald.
Speaker 5: He seems smart.
Speaker 3: He's a smarter ruth.
Speaker 7: Nobody seems all that charismatic. Like it was that speech on election night where he was it's a little didn't it didn't move you? Hearing about the purity of the American American fascism is very like Donald Trump's true Yeah, yeah, Like I feel like.
Speaker 5: Jared Makin's brand.
Speaker 6: There is a little I have listened, unfortunately to a lot of far right YouTubers and a lot like his sighting of like Thomas Aquinas and Saint Augustine. That's like very like Mike Cernovich, like Robert Spencer and anyway, this is not us exactly bringing the pod to the life.
Speaker 2: Well, he he definitely does feel like somebody that Esquire would have interviewed in twenty sixteen and called like an interesting alt right figurehead.
Speaker 5: Right, He's a fire he's a fire.
Speaker 2: Brain he's dressed stylish for you guys.
Speaker 5: He throws a bomb throwers.
Speaker 1: The complex message of Jared Mancin.
Speaker 3: What was that line in the Times the cool Kids Philosopher? They say Shapiro. Yeah, yeah, I think there's a touch of Ben Shapiro in there.
Speaker 1: Max, How would how would Maggie Haperman cover making.
Speaker 3: No comment? Okay, but but it's.
Speaker 1: It seems like, you know, Macancon.
Speaker 6: Would be calling Maggie every seven would be just all You would not be able to walk past Maggie's cubicle without saying it should be on the phone.
Speaker 3: You'd be like, oh, it's mancan, isn't it?
Speaker 6: And he would just be off floating some like crazy in her gossip that she would then put into the newspaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an interesting moment in this latest episode where Ken tells Rava that she's too online, too online, I guess because she cares about her kids, which I've always thought of as a weakness.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your thoughts on Rava being too online or the criticism in general of being too online?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's funny because I think too online is the type of criticism you level towards someone when they're it's meant to say that you're not really in touch with reality, right, that your reality is just the Twitter conversation, right. And what's funny about Kendall using it is he's so far removed from reality. I mean, the whole all of them are every season, right, and it's like this is that episode was the first time we've seen sort of the real world effects of the shit they've been pulling, right, happening all around them. So it is very funny that he accuses his ex wife of being two online.
Speaker 6: It Actually it reminded me of like late twenty sixteen when Trump was, you know, both nearing and then had won the election, where I feel like a lot of people were telling the I was too online because it'd be like, hey, when this happens in other countries, like here are the things that happens, and here's how it goes. And everybody's like, oh, you're being hysterical, and like, what was the line take take him.
Speaker 7: Literally and serious seriously? Yeah, Selena Ziito, thank you, Yeah, but there was. It also reminded me of the period between the election and the insurrection. How can we forget about that when everyone was like, oh, just humor Trump, He's gonna he's gonna do this for a little bit and then he's gonna golf.
Speaker 5: He's gonna leave. He's going to leave the White House. What are you all worried about? He's going to leave.
Speaker 6: It's amazing how many moments from the last five years you will see resonance in the show. And I have to say, I really think that this show has done better than any show, better than really any piece of entertainment art. Like the job it has done at capturing what it feels like to be America under this like era, when democracy feels like it's crumbling around us. It's like really incredible, And like I spent years at the times trying to convey basically exactly what this show is conveyed in like nine very crisp, entertaining hours, and it like really makes me kind of mad.
Speaker 3: They did a good job.
Speaker 6: They did an amazing they're like the way that they cover like institutions and how power broke. I was talking to a friend of mine who works in a field that it's euphemistically called election integrity, which means all of the people who were like, yeah, it's a little scary, the like poll watchers and all the like democracy watchdog groups and activist groups and people in state governments. And I was like, what do folks in your world think of successions treatment of things like election theft and disinformation or all the things that are coming up in the show. And she sent me the Leo pointing meme and she was like, everybody's just like they nailed it, Like we cannot believe how effectively they did, a lot of them have actually consulted on the show too.
Speaker 2: Would you say, speaking of reality, how realistic was the Roy's election party?
Speaker 7: You know, I will say on the elect they've done a very good job of making every political scenario quite realistic that party. I don't know that the Democratic nominee staff would be at the Fox News Eles party that seems at.
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't think Nate would really would be there.
Speaker 6: I do One thing that the party captured well, I thought was the sense that all of this is happening in closed rooms with all of these people, this very small number of people who are all maneuvering with like very little mind for the consequences of what happens. And I think you're right that this last episode was the first time that the consequences were starting to impose themselves on the characters who have been have been causing this for the last four seasons.
Speaker 7: But it does capture something that happens a lot in DC, which is, you know, Republicans and Democrats who will be screaming at each other on TV or in the halls of Congress suddenly find themselves at a cocktail party together. They're just like, hey, yeah, we're friends, We're fine.
Speaker 3: We really missed that, Yeah, desperately miss that's right.
Speaker 7: I went back for the correspondence di inner weekend and left a day early.
Speaker 1: Yes, in the past two episodes, we've seen this attempt by the Roy's brilliant attempt I think to leverage, you know, the leverage Democracy leveraged the country in order to get this Gojo deal killed. How often does horse trading, you know, not of this brilliant magnitude where you're like, I'm going to sell out the country level in order to get control of my father's company. Like that's great, but how often, how how realistic did you find that kind of horse trading?
Speaker 7: I would say that before the Trump presidency, I would have said, I don't know.
Speaker 5: That it's that.
Speaker 7: Right, Like maybe it's a little more subtle, but with all the story, you know, Trump's like handing out pardons and Rudy's gonna like split the two million dollars with him, and like Jared's doing a deal with the Saudis. Like it's pretty it seems pretty realistic.
Speaker 3: It's getting Yeah, it's there to the deal man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And especially like the conversations between that we all saw after the Fox defamation suit between like Fox executives and like high ranking Republicans like that, that is pretty that is pretty real.
Speaker 6: So when you were in the Obama White House with the MSNBC executives, call you who were they calling to?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 7: Sure, and I would just put a bag of cash outside.
Speaker 3: My office with a big dollar sign.
Speaker 7: Yeah in the back, and then I would then, you know, then should air my whatever I want to go on whenever I want.
Speaker 5: It would be great.
Speaker 2: So talking about like important, you know, realities of the day to day, where do you stand on sending blood to your coworkers?
Speaker 6: Can I actually tell you, guys a story about getting recruited to crooked media is a few months ago and I got there was no bags of blood, but I got this call from John, who I knew a little bit, and I picked up the phonies to the John Favreau and he said, you know, Max, life isn't nice.
Speaker 3: It's contingent. People who say they love you also fuck me.
Speaker 6: So this is an explicit plan to fuck the pod me rule the world.
Speaker 3: And you can come, but it won't be a collaboration.
Speaker 6: You'll be my dog, but the scraps from the table will be millions, millions.
Speaker 5: And here he is.
Speaker 6: He was referring to downloads, not dollars. But I thought I'd a pretty good offer.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 7: I will say that when we first started Cricket Media, we used a random lawyer in Silicon Valley to start doing some of our contracts with hosts for the first couple hosts, and you could tell that these were not standard entertainment contracts because I I think that we accidentally asked Ann Marie Cox to like sign over her the rights to her DNA. There was like some kind of a weird standard like like bio bio startup contract.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is like this. She's like, I don't think I should this. We're like, you know what we actually do not want?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 6: Is that what all those cloning booths are for in the back room. I was runnering it was in these giant tubs of good.
Speaker 5: This is this is our version of living.
Speaker 1: Plus do you think that this show has anything?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: You mentioned that it really seems to nail the texture the feel of this particular political moment. I wonder if you could expound on that, What particularly are the things that you look at and go God, that feels like something that either has happened or would happen.
Speaker 7: I think that ever since, there is a feeling, especially among people among liberals, among people on the left, that fascists have to necessarily have like carefully laid plans and coherent ideologies, and that villains are like you know, two D and they're just they're always sitting there plotting about how they're going to take over the world and destroy everything right, And in reality, I think what Succession gets right is this is just a lot of rich, powerful, selfish people who are quite nihilistic. And when you are in positions of power with that much money and you make a bunch of selfish, stupid, reckless decisions, it has it can really fuck up the entire country and democracy. And you don't have to have a plan to do it, you just have to be as nihilistic as Roman has been, certainly over the last couple of days, but in reality all of them.
Speaker 6: I've been thinking a lot about how this show feels to me, like it's kind of in conversation with the like the paranoid thriller movies in the nineteen seventies, you guys, know, these movies like yeah, Parallax View and All Presidence Men and Conversation and this, like all the thrillers that came out after Watergate and Vietnam and kind of like captured this sense that the country had that you know, democracy was a lie and there were these vast, all powerful conspiracies, and we're in kind of.
Speaker 3: A similar moment.
Speaker 6: But Succession's final season feels very different, like you're saying, because there's no vast conspiracy, there's no big, shadowy plot, and there's also the like nineteen seventies thrillers usually have a protagonist who is like we're seeing, who's like fighting back to trying to like protect what's great about America. But this show is so nihilistic and bleak. There's not really good or bad. There's just these like bumbling idiots basically who were like in positions of power and crashing around on each other and like happened to be bringing around these terrifying consequences and it's like it's it messed up because there's so much darker than those seventies political thrillers, but their grasp of how things actually work is so much more like mechanistically fine grained and connect and the sense of like institutions, And the showrunner has worked on shows in the UK that focus on institutions and bureaucracies, and you like, really see he's got like a little bit of a political science list. And there was actually there was a line that Mattson had where he was on the phone. He was saying that you're not even a real democracy or less of a democracy than Botswana because you've been a democracy for fifty.
Speaker 5: To fifty years.
Speaker 6: Yea, yeah, And that is actually a like very specific argument that is really big in political science right now, that the US didn't formally become a democracy until about fifty years ago. And I feel like that must have been a deliberate nod.
Speaker 1: Well, well, so this argument, if you believe this argument, it goes simply because women and then people of color had a we'll call it a difficult time or a touchy time voting for much of the country's history, that somehow this wasn't a full fledged democracy.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that what people are saying in the in the poly size You're.
Speaker 3: Not You're not liking this, are you?
Speaker 1: Are you Jared?
Speaker 2: You're You're just looking.
Speaker 6: For something, something clean in this polluted land, something not compromise.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 7: And I also thought I thought they really got right, Like at the beginning of the Trump administration, there were a bunch of sort of establishment Republicans who went to go work for Trump and like slash former Democrats. You know what's his name, Gary Uh, the finance guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're going to keep him on the rails. We're gonna be yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: The Committee, the Committee, the Committee to say of America, Remember the Committee to say America. The adults in the YEA and those people genuinely believed right that I am here because I'm going to have influence over him and I'm going to help stop Trump.
Speaker 5: And you can see that in like Shiv and Kendle.
Speaker 7: I remember at Kendall at one point was yell it was another episode yelling at his ex wife.
Speaker 5: He's like, you have no idea what I'm trying to do here on.
Speaker 7: And then Hiv, who is like terrified that Macan wins them in the very next episode, is like, I can impress the Nazi. I could watch and my dad. My dad died, so I could do anything right now.
Speaker 6: Something this show really captures that speaks to that, I think is this sense that not only is nobody coming to rescue, but there's no guardrails, there's no safety. And that was something that really came through, I thought in the Election Night episode where they're just like in the conference room deciding to steal the election, and like, I don't know about you, but I found that really triggering.
Speaker 7: Well, tend to Ndle doing a great impression of like most people on Wall Street, the markets will he'll be constrained by the markets and capitalism and the business interests.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know a lot of what we do here at Market Moves is about predicting things. You know, even the more liberal X ray Vision hosts they predict things. You know, for you guys, what do you think the viewers should be looking out for when we come to the finale? How do they land this realistic view of America. What happens.
Speaker 7: So I have been thinking that perhaps Kendall finally gets his crown, but he's basically, you know, ruling over the ashes and that the whole that it's not worth being the CEO of this company because you know, Mattson and everything that the kids have done just sort of destroy it somehow.
Speaker 5: So I've been thinking that's possible.
Speaker 7: Although I have to say i am a Market Moves fan, so I've been listening to previous episodes.
Speaker 5: After watching the last episode, I could see a Greg, I.
Speaker 2: See it.
Speaker 5: I could see Greg as the s CEO. I thought it was silly at first, and I'm like.
Speaker 6: That tight shot of Batson in the limousine there clearly there's someone who is next to them, and like, who else could it be? I mean, that was the only person I think it was missing at that point.
Speaker 5: That would be that would be so well. So I'm really.
Speaker 6: Curious what's gonna happened with the like way Star calling Wisconsin prematurely, which they have set up for like that might come back, and that of course like really parallels like Fox News doing Stop the Steal after twenty twenty and the show is like aligning with reality in these ways that are really interesting, but I think also make it like an even bigger challenge to land this ship, because like Fox News doing Stop the Steal we know now is like really blown up in their face. They had to pay an eight hundred million dollar fine. They'll probably pay more. They lost Tucker Carlson, they like really lost out, but if that happened to Waste Star, it would kind of ring false for the show's themes. So they're in kind of this tricky position. I think, like, I think we won't know what will happen with Menken. That's my big prediction, if.
Speaker 5: You're really coming about it.
Speaker 6: I don't think we're gonna know what's gonna happen with Wisconsin. I don't think we're gonna know if you're gonna be president. I don't think we know what's gonna happen with this social unrest, which I think is actually really fitting because that's kind of where we are as a country, Like we still like a take that I like just thing occasionally. It's it like January sixth is an ongoing event and we don't know how it is going to resolve, And I think that the show is like really landing that message.
Speaker 5: That'll help me sleep tonight. Good heart tape, it's a good heart take you gave.
Speaker 1: Here's it's something I'm legitimately interested in. So, you know, the Republicans have been the party of business since the late nineteenth century with this spread of banks and the spread of capitalism, and it was you know, I think you could argue Bill Clinton embracing capitalism, the creation of neoliberalism. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, people realize, oh this is let's get on board the train and say that we love it. That has it feels like we've parted with that. Certainly, the left electorate hates capitalism now and they're all they love Marx and they love Mao and it's ridiculous what's going on. But how do you how do you u how do you expect to win without aling with capital.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think this is this a question about the show.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a great question, but that's.
Speaker 7: Why I think that's why I think like manke in right is like so malleable when when when Shiv and Mattson are like he's playing maybe maybe don't block the deal?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, right, right?
Speaker 5: And like fascists don't really care like capitalism or not. They just they want to just they want to.
Speaker 3: They want control, right, that's the whole disantas thing.
Speaker 6: Right, He's going after the big corporations because they think that's going to be useful foil for him. And now Disney is the hero of the resistance, which is a little bit of a weird position to be in.
Speaker 5: It's all, it's all in the service of power. So I think that's how they that's true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that does actually align pretty well. Yeah, okay, So the answer to your question is nothing matters. It's all power and money.
Speaker 5: It's all money and gossip. Are you happy you had.
Speaker 3: A sound.
Speaker 1: I'm happy in the sense that you know, I understand now that there's nothing to fear from you. Guys. We've got it. The market move side is on the right side of history. Money Ascendant Jared mac In twenty twenty four. We're going all the way. We love it. Thank you gentlemen for joining us, and good luck on good luck on your on your side of things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you, thank you for having us. Good luck good luck out there on the streets.
Speaker 1: We fly only helicopters now, we don't private, private, we'll see yeah, thank you. Up next, yellow Jackets.
Speaker 2: We are stepping out of the airlocks and in to the still mysterious where is it we don't know wilderness of yellow Jackets, which we don't know, just some snowy place. Yellowjackets, Season two, Episode eight, with the Perfect Name It Chooses, Directed by Daisy von Schirler Mayer and written by Sarah L. Thompson and Liz Fang. We begin after Shawna's physical therapy session that ended last week's episode aka when she beat the shower of Lottie because you know, she was upset that her baby died. So understandable, but probably not a great idea. Beaten and bruised, Lotty is, she's pissing blood. She's being cared for by an ever useful Misty, but also, do you really want Misty to be the one caring for you? Lot of Marie, who is one of Lotty's number one followers, is kind of putting on a sassy front complaining a lot, but secretly she's absolutely devastated, but adding more fuel to our fire about the potential parallel timelines. Lotti, whose face is just absolutely decimated and she is she's struggling. She seems to be having visions from both the past and the future. She sees future Lotti. She sees future Lotti holding the Queen of Hearts cards. She sees these flashes, and just before those iconic credits begin to roll, we actually get one of the most brutal and grim reveals of this season, which is that Aquila's little mouse friend. One of the few bright spots of the show, her little bud been keeping her going. Tie leans over to Aquila and says, who are you talking to? She's like, go away, Rip to that mouse because the mouse is dead and maybe has always been dead because it's mummified. Rip to that mouse looking no mouse jerkie maybe, but no, not good and Aquila's pretty upset. That is one of the most shocking reveals yet in Yellowjackets. The cute mouse was always dead. Maybe. At Camp green Pine, adult Shawna is not having really much of a better time than teen Shawna as she tells the others that the police have found the dismembered body of Adam Martin. Guess somebody didn't listen to Misty's instructions, or else they wouldn't have been able d maybe then they wouldn't have been able to identify him. But you know whatever, Misty tyan Nat tried to convince, well.
Speaker 1: I mean they I will say, I will say they did a pretty thorough job as we see.
Speaker 2: That is a good point. And also they identified him through a means that they would not have been able to know about. So you make a good point. I defect. They did follow Misty's rules. They did a horrific job, as we will learn later. And Misty disgusting and Misty tyan Nat try to convince Shawna like, don't go back and see CALLI and Jeff. You need to stay here. We need to talk about this. You made us an accomplice in a murder. Remember that? And Van is like, fuck all of you, what's going on, throws Seanna's keys into the forest and says, we are not going anywhere until we have a little bit of a group therapy. So off to the sharing shack they go. Time to do some sharing, but before we get there, the camera is getting blurry in yellow jackets. Don't worry, not your eyes. It's just a cool cinematography effect to let you know everyone is starving. It's getting to that time now everybody's feeling wobbly. Tie is seeing nighttime Tie in the daytime, Van is sneaking around, looking suspicious and offering up belts to be stewed into soups because they are that hungry.
Speaker 1: It worked for Charlie or shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you know you're gonna eat a stew made of leather? Maybe you are. They're getting really hungry and they're in the wilderness. Can you see where this is going? I wonder cannibalism, remember it. Tensions are rising, and everybody's kind of already plotting on eating lot He's still warm and absolutely not dead yet body. Nat starts to wonder whether Lotty's death could be a good thing, which makes sense seeing as everyone is turning to Lotty's supernatural side, even Young Harvey, Young logical Harvey. He's even been praying to a specific symbol tree, which Natalie finds worrying. When she shares that with Coach Ben, her only logical friend left the newly awakened and no longer disassociating into history, Coach Ben takes a different lesson. This is not not something good for the group. I mean, like Lotty dying, who cares what was that about a tree? Have he's been visiting a strange tree and bowing to it? Could that be where he hid for all those months?
Speaker 1: And then I mean, it's just a a simple street line. Take, Hey, where's whe's tree? Maybe you could hide in?
Speaker 2: Maybe I could hide in a tree so you guys don't eat me. Maybe pretty good idea, Honestly I understand. And once again in epic coach ben timing, remember he avoided Jackie's cannibalistic feast. It's a good time because the girls are losing it. Marie is seeing blood seeping from the walls. Ty can hear the dripping. It's all going horribly wrong. And speaking of horrific visions, Yellow Jackets is a really great show. We love it for many reasons, but it is at its heart a horror show. I will say season two has kind of felt like it's veering away from that a little bit because of the supernatural elements, the survivalist elements. But we get such a horrible scene here after Jeff, poor lovely Jeff, he suffers from a a true night terror that is instigated by Kevin Tan and our worst enemy on the show, m Sarahcusa. The worst cop in the hole of yellow jackets. They show up and they're like, hey, this is like a really normal thing that cops do actually do, which is I'm just going to show you some horrible images of a decapitated and chopped up dead body. How'd you feel about that? Would you like to see it? This is where a very sharp knife cut through somebody's limbs. Enjoying that image looks delightful. Yeah, it is very horrible. And I will say, as we the audience know that Sewna did cut that body up, it adds a little bit more context to the choice that the women made when they decided they were going to get rid of the body. It is very grotesque. But you know what, these cops don't know Jeff is an accomplice. They could just be showing this to an innocent man. They know nothing. Jeff is understandably very upset, and later he is at home and Shauna arrives back from Camp Green Pine and he's so happy to see her. And as usual, it's Shawna. So she's incredibly horny and they're making out but done dune Dune. She has electric turkey carvers for hands.
Speaker 1: You know, she's horny because it's the worst possible exactly horny right now.
Speaker 2: Shauna, Please, he's like your own have found your lover's dead body. Don't be coming home and kissing me up, and then don't be chopping me with your turkey carver hands that you have apparently replaced your real hands with because your life is so boring that you need some excitement by adding turkey carvers to your stump arms. It was truly horrific, surprising no one. It was also a dream, but Jeff probably having some issues. I feel like at this point, accepting okay, do you think how likely do you think it is as we head into the final episode of this season that Jeff is going to turn on Shana and shot her to the cops to protect him and Cally.
Speaker 1: I don't think that he ever gets there unless something else, something else, like you know, a friend of a friend dropping a clue to the police. It's some extra pressure. I don't think he'll ever turn on her without something outside acting on their relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I think he's I think he's scared, but I don't think he's that scared. I think he does truly love Shawna a in a very all encompassing way that's quite defined by loyalty in lotty sharing, Shack talking about loyalty, the truth is coming out. Shawna reveals Jeff knows about the through killing Adam, and when thy classic tie here just saying tries to act like high and mighty. This is a lot This is like one of the funniest scenes because if you were doing like a speed recap, you wouldn't believe that all of this happens in like one secret. So Ty does a classic situation. She's high and mighty. Oh my god, Seana, how could you do that? How could you reveal our secrets to your loving husband? And Misty's like, h remember when you revealed all of our secrets to a PI called Jessica who came and offered us hundreds of thousands of dollars to write a book about being in Yellowjacket's just a test whether you could trust us or not. And everyone's understandably pissed, and van As the kind of outsider, makes a really good point. She says, well, how do you know this is a safe situation? And seawans like, yeah, what if she goes rogue? You know? And Misty says, don't worry, I murdered her. I took care of it. And the best thing is, like nobody's surprise.
Speaker 1: Nobody even blinks at this. Well, there's been so much crazy information already revealed in the sharing, in the scheering check, like in the two minutes before this, that like that Misty killed another person is definitely not a shit.
Speaker 2: And as Misty says, you know, you're welcome because guess what, I took care of it. Yes, as useful. And then Seanna's like, well, this is crazy because you're now you know that. Not only that, but the FBI has been going around to Randy asking questions about, you know, Natalie, and Natalie's like, well, I'm a Missy's like, Nana, don't worry. That was actually me and my boyfriend. We we were the ones. We pretended to be the FBI so we could find Natalie, you know, as you do. And then Misty's like, wait a minute. He was actually very upset and worried about something, and he mentioned your husband, Seanna, He mentioned Jeff, so what could that be about? And it finally comes out that Jeff and not Adam, was the blackmailer unbelievable reveals.
Speaker 1: And honestly a good reason for not telling them because she was afraid that, you know, that they might murder him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're like, how could you say that? And Van's like, Misty did literally murder someone she thought was the blackmailer. And then you know, it's quite the time in the Sharing Shack. I mean, who could know that so many truths were about to come out back in the nineties. You know, teen Misty is on Coach Ben's suicide watch, but she doesn't need to worry because he's not sharpening the machete to do any harm to himself, just to adapt his crutches for the snowy weather so he can make an escape into the wilderness, which obviously keeps secret from his stalk and Misty. While the group begins to hallucinate from hunger, nat is being quite kind as always, and she makes some gloves for Harvey, which leads to this sweet moment where Travis makes peace with her and says, I'm sorry forever making you think that you want to good person, like I really I take that back, and you are a good person and you'll definitely never do anything in this episode to make me feel like that will change because you are a good person. While Lottie wastes away with a fever in the attic, it's not looking good for her. She tells Misty that the girls have to eat her if she dies. She's like, look, if I die, don't waste it. I didn't die for nothing.
Speaker 1: Guys, can I ask an important question? Does she even need to say this? They're starving out, they would do it. They're like, they would do it in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like trying. She's like, I'm just gonna assuage them of any guilt, Like they don't need to have a question. I'm telling him that's you know, some people want to be created, some people want to be buried. Some people want to be buried at sea. I want to be eaten by my friends in the wilderness. So she just lets him know, and that will go on to inspire a very fateful conversation within the group. But first, an interesting thing that we learn about Walter here. He is apparently a multi millionaire that wasn't a weird lie that it seemed like it probably was, and he lives in a very impressive, beautiful house with full floor to ceiling windows and what's he up to? He's just doing a puzzle drinking.
Speaker 1: Bailey's on the internet as one listening to.
Speaker 2: Not while I'm Around from Sweeney Todd, the lyrics of which say demons are prowling everywhere plays through his you know his bow's speakers. I assume some very bang and off some and expensive speaker system. And when he sees that Adam Martin's body has been found on his beloved Reddit true crime boards, he sends a message to the local police force saying he has information about the murder. So big question is he snitching on Misty or, as the lyrics play when he sends the email, no One's gonna hurt you while I'm around, is he planning to cover up for Misty? What do you think?
Speaker 1: I think it's some version of cover up that may include incriminating people around. But I think he is trying to throw the police in a different direction. And I think that he's then going to go to Misty and say, hey, look what I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I think that is the case. I also think there's a very interesting duality with Walter where I still have this theory that potentially he could be connected to Crystal in some way, and maybe what he wants is to get the police off Misty's case so that he can kind of deal with her and get his vengeance. But I also just like the idea that they're just like two sociopaths who are going to fall in love. Hannibal is one of my all time favorite TV shows. I love murder, boyfriend's, murder, girlfriends, murder, any kind of gender partners, so I like the idea that him and Misty could just become like weird murder vigilante boyfriend and girlfriend. So I'm on your side. I do believe that he is trying to put them off her scent, and interestingly enough, as he leaves his house, he grabs a purple coat, So this offers another question. Is he already part of Loti's crew, Probably not, or is he headed to Camp green Pine and trying to blend in with those followers.
Speaker 1: I think that's exactly what he's gonna do. He's gonna go there, and he's going to He might believe that she is imprisoned there or whatever the case may be, but he's gonna sneak out.
Speaker 2: YEA believe that. So speaking of sweet people doing things to protect the ones they love. Jeff has had his terrible night terror. He's seen Shanna with scary meat cleaver hat I mean turkey carver hands, let's be specific about the weaponry. And he shares some home truths with Callie, who's up drinking a beer scandalous. You know she's only eighteen and she's in high school. Guys, she's drinking a beer, trying to get to go to sleep, and Jeff tells he's starting with adult car every time. And he shares Shawna's most terrible loss from the wilderness with his daughter that he knows about. We learn him maybe because he read the journals, or maybe because Shawna told him. He knows that Shawna lost a baby, and Cally is deeply moved by the reveal. It's clear that this is also very tied to why Jeff is so loyal. Is his loyalty waning? We kind of touched on this. He seems to, at least I feel like, be considering what Kevin was set. Kevin Tan you know, the cop who slept with Natalie, by the way, also seems problematic seeing as she's involved in this case. Him and m Sarahkhu's are really doing the most. When they came to the house with the search warrant didn't find anything, it seems, but you know, showed Jeff those scary images. He definitely seems to be considering the idea of, oh, I could protect Cally. He says to her, this isn't your burden to bear, but it's unclear. I don't think Cally would go along with that. She has turned for being like one of the most the worst characters in the season who was always doing crazy, annoying shit and ended up like she really has found this weird anti hero kind of space for her mom in her life. Speaking of which I'm gonna give you Jason a giant We were right because Shaana does a monologue. Oh yes, she does a literal monologue, admitting that she is just obsessed with blowing up her life and she just can't stop making things worse. She can't stop she wants the chaos. She even says she had the affair with Adam because she wanted to mix things up, and then ever since then she says, I've been trying to fix it, and then she's like, no, I haven't. I've actually just been trying to make things worse. Everything I do is making things worse. And I was very impressed because you called that shit from the very beginning of this season about that being like Shana's driving force is this kind of chaotic void that she just constantly wants to blow up her suburban life life.
Speaker 1: She gets off on the chaos. It's exciting to her. Something about just normal relationships, normal living is boring and isolating and and and entrapping to her. And she needs to break free. And the only way she can feel that she can do that is by doing crime by adultery, by committing murders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then has not committed a murder when we're just feeling a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who among this is not decapitated? And uh, the the corpse of the person you were having an affair with so they cannot be identified. Then cut off the hands and then cheese greater.
Speaker 2: It's just what it's very reliable to cheese gray as someone's tattoos off. You don't want that to be that that's a signifying mom Come on, Sean is honesty and buyers Natalie to encourage the others to open up, which, by the way, I still think Natalie is playing some kind of long game here. I'm just not sure what it is at this point, but sad times to see it because she has really been struggling this season. Lottie takes the reins goes against what Natalie was saying, which is very interesting because she's kind of been preaching this idea of therapy and talking their problems out, and she's like, no, none of that's gonna help. Talking won't help. We are here for a reason, and the reason is the power of the wilderness, and I know what it wants. Cut to the wilderness in the nineties, where we're about to learn what Lotti thinks it wants. Lotti has offered her body up for the good of the group the survivors. In a very interesting and telling conversation, they decide they don't want Lottie to die, and as Travis points out, the only way she can survive is if she eats something.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: At this point, no one's even trying to find an animal, like maybe we should go and do like one scope. Maybe maybe there's some kind of like wintery animal who survived. Maybe we could climb a tree, do you know, go ice fish ice fishing in the lake. Like, yeah, there seems like there's many different options, but as Tye says, we have to find a way to save Lotty and to save ourselves. We need to eat and we're gonna have to do whatever we can to survive. So if you remember, the girls have been assigning chores via pulling cards from a deck. This is also very interestingly throughout the season clearly been something they were rigging, because they would always make sure that Crystal and Misty had to go on toilet Judy as punishment for Misty, you know, poisoning people who amongst us has again not poisoned some people, you know, So it doesn't seem like a great trustworthy option, but in an interesting narrative choice. I think in the discord Our Discord, there's been a conversation about it, and I think on the Internet there's been a lot of controversy about it. They don't really show them making this choice, which I think is very interesting. So it more just kind of you are left to add the narrative of how they got there. But it's something we've seen them do before, and we get a really good kind of riff on this, you know, in the thing when they're trying to work out who's infected and who's not, and we get this very tense sequence who's going to get killed? How do you deal with that? It's so good and so atmospheric, and people pull a card and Misty is safe and Travis is safe and Shanna is safe. And honestly, Shanna, you probably should have been the sacrifice. You cause mad problems and it should have been you, baby. But sadly, for people with taste, it is Natalie who pulls the Queen of Heart cards. You hate to see it. I love Natalie. That is why I have my funny shag mullet. She inspired me to do it. I love her, and Natalie is the sacrifice. But we know Natalie still exists in the future as we know it, so this seems like an odd choice. Seanna, of course, is the executor. Loves to kill someone, just can't help it, just absolutely adores it. And in a very sick move, she places Jackie's necklace around Natalie's throat, which is a little heart necklace. It's very gross. We get this duality here, there's this two sides. If you are the sacrifice, you pull the Queen of Heart's card, you put on this necklace and that kind of designates you as being the sacrifice. We can assume this is a version of what we saw in the very first episode of Yellowjackets that got everyone so hooked of the girls running after a sacrifice. We can assume they pulled the card and they were wearing the necklace and they had to make that choice now because Natalie is a bad one. She's not taking it at all. Sewn has too much of a coward to look her in the eyes, and Natalie's like, no, look me in the eyes.
Speaker 1: Do it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to look at me while you slip my throat. Give it a try, and Seana can't do it. Travis in a choice that he will inevitably come to regret and I'm sure will haun him for the rest of his life. Just horrible shit that they do in this This this final like fifteen minutes, is so fucking bleak. Travis causes the commotion, pushes them out of the way, and lets Nap run and this leads to one of those sequences we've had teased throughout the season and flashes. It's in the credit sequence. It got a lot of people talking. The survivors are chasing Natalie through the forest before we just saw them, you know, ties screaming and they turn feral like. This is a turn of events that I.
Speaker 1: Truly I don't know any like it's like a zombie and I.
Speaker 2: Feel like that's what they were trying to establish with this blurry camera angles. They wanted to show us how far gone they were because they do not question it. They do not for a second have any issue with trying to eat Natalie. It's happening. It's gonna happen, and she is gonna be dinner. Before we see what happens to Natalie and how she survived, which is gonna break your heart. We will have to wait and see because in a very interesting and what I think will be very important narratively turn of events. We cut to Camp Green Pine, where Shauna immediately tells Lotti none of that was real. I am so interested, like this is she just continuing the direct conversation where Lotti was talking about power of awardness? Is she talking about that entire vision that we just saw. There is a definite, unreliable narrator situation here that I think is incredibly interesting and more likely lead into the next season. But we'll have to wait to see how true or not true it is. Because bad things are happening.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 2: Lotti has gone full of Heaven's Gate, as Misty points out, and she wants the women to drink from cups, one of which has been poisoned with phoenobarbital, and that person's gonna die when they drink it. Would you drink it? What do you think, Jason? Would you drink from one of these cups? You're not drinking, thank you. I'm also not drinking drinking.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Lotti, Lotti, why is your every idea well one of us should die?
Speaker 2: Now I'm saying, do I need a.
Speaker 1: Better solution to stay?
Speaker 2: I think this is a big logical flaw in Lotti's part. So Lotti's argument is, look, in the wilderness, we would sacrifice somebody and then we would all survive because we ate them. But also the wilderness would be happy if we do that now, then time. Maybe your wife won't die in a coma, Shanna. Maybe you won't get arrested for this murder like the wilderness can hook us up. Natalie, Maybe you won't be such a loser and a drug addicts anymore fucked up Lotty. I don't know why. It's like not really comparable to like everything else everyone's doing. But sure, mistery, you are a murderer. Maybe you'll stop murdering. Maybe not. I'm gonna say something if that's the case. Yeah, Travis already died. Why didn't that fix their problems? The wilderness chose Travis? Where's the logic of that adult Travis died? He was murdered in what looked like a hallucinatory kind of strange supernatural one of the main supernatural glimpses that we've got. I feel like Lotti is struggling. We also now know that her therapist never existed, so she was never getting the medication that she needed for like the last few weeks. This is a very sad turn of events. Absolutely hate to see it. But also this is like the most fucked up group of friends ever because, by the end of Lotti explaining it, like none of none of them are like this sounds really bad. Like everyone's just like yeah, everybody's like, okay, maybe maybe we should just drink the poison call it. I mean, come on, guys, this is cult leader one oh one.
Speaker 1: I am surprised, honestly that no one has said, hey, what about the other people that died? Like aren't we good?
Speaker 2: Right? How many times do you have to do it? Like what is the cost? And like Travis died.
Speaker 1: Like recently paid to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very recently, you know, like it's and also if that was the case, Lotty, why didn't you let Nat kill herself? Like there's all these different the logic is not there. So I believe that we can see that this is something I think that is more of a struggle in Lotty's head right now than a reality. But you know, someone is faring a little bit better in the worldness. It's coach Ben. He's feeling good. Guess what he found Harvey's magical symboltry lo and behold big we were right. I'm calling out by name because this is the first person who I saw posit this theory. My name is Dan, who is one of our discord users. He had posited the theory that there was an underground tunnel system and that symbols on the trees basically marked where you could find the tunnels and the entrances to the tunnels. And I would say, this is a oh, we were right that there is at least one tunnel, and I think is probably positing going towards like a proper we were right. Next episode, so there is a cave. Ben finds it and it leads to some kind of tunnel system. And not only that, but someone's been living there eating small animals. How did they find those animals? Maybe these people should be eating them instead of eating humans. Just an idea, but basically that animal bones are there. This is probably where Harvey survived his time in the wilderness. Maybe let's just strow it out there because yellowjackers. Look, maybe the bones are there for witchcraft. Maybe a witch lives there.
Speaker 1: It kind of seems to me like there's chickens in them that are wood.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that looks like.
Speaker 1: Where's the food. There's food.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's food in the tunnels. Maybe there's a little underground farm. Maybe there's some chickens be living down there, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Underground farm is very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I have seen some other really cool theories. I think in our discord, this one's popped up a lot. The idea that perhaps the person who has been living in there and is nighttime Tie who maybe was the one who was protecting Harvey and was his friend and you know, claimed that she didn't want him to go back, which, let's be real, we find out now very right how they should not have gone back. Yes, bad times all around, because Harvey catches up with Nat on the frozen river and he tells her I'm gonna take you to my secret hiding place to help you survive this insane hunting party. But as it is, wont to do, the wilderness chooses and the night the ice breaks and Harvey falls in. At first, because Natalie is a nice human being, I do truly believe that she tries to save him, but as the other girls catch up, Misty kneels down and whispers to her, if you save Harvey, they will eat you. Another life saved by Misty kind of like not really, but kind of because if she didn't, like Nat would be dead. But sadly, Harvey still dies, and it's really grim because we have to watch him drown and Nat has to watch him drown, and we definitely understand. I feel like that is the choice that Natalie made in her life. She often talks about she didn't deserve to survive. They she did think she was ashamed of she wished that she could go back, and that I think is that that's that moment where she lets somebody die so that she could survive. And it's in a really horrific way.
Speaker 1: I am back all the way around to this show could now be completely not I think so too. I think there could. I think there could. I think the results of trauma, starvation, intense emotional tenor could have. First of all, it did absolutely result in numerous, like parallel hallucinations that did and did not intersect with other hallucinations that were going on. And I think that there is a real chance that all the stuff they think happened only happened pieces didn't happen all the way. No one has the full.
Speaker 2: Piece that would be explained by Seanna saying it wasn't real because she doesn't remember it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she doesn't remember it. And in order for them to make sense of it all, they have come up with this framing the wilderness.
Speaker 2: Exactly and we and that's how the episode ends. They don't want to deal with the fact that they let Hobby die after they don't you just go on and back, so Van Declare's you know, the wilderness chose and that's it. Harvey will be the next meal. Of course, how Travis will feel about that is a whole different situation, but we know that him and Natalie stayed in contact as adults, so I'm sure there's probably a story there, just another absolute bummer fucking ending the last three episodes of Really, They'll just fucking destroy you.
Speaker 1: So tell me why you think it's possible that this show could be not supernatural.
Speaker 2: I think that the closer we get, I think there are multiple different things that could in that situation seem supernatural, like Lotti's visions, which we know are likely part of her having mental health struggles. Those began this kind of journey of the group into believing, well, i'd say more of a spiral actually, that there was something super natural going on, Tie sleepwalking, something else that can absolutely be explained away in a non supernatural sense, but in that space of being in the wilderness, being disconnected from reality, not eating, it takes on this whole other meaning. You know, there are multiple coincidences than and Tie being out and finding Harvey. That doesn't have to be supernatural. It's just that there's not a very big space, and he was coming out of the tree, you know, things Like we've talked about this before, it's very likely that Lotti or Tie in a sleepwalking mode, was the one who put the symbols around and instead it's about building a narrative that fits to explain away the things that they had to do. We did say in the episode where they ate Jackie, the first cannibalism episode, I felt like the photography was so intentional. It was so supposed to bring us into this mindset that the wilderness baked Jackie properly. It presented her fully cooked, but we don't I don't know if that's really what happened. I really wouldn't be surprised if we saw a different version where Van and Tye went out there and they packed the snow and they cooked her.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that there's very interesting, unreliable narrator kind of situations occurring, and I think that Lottie fully committing to this kind of cult leader aspect of herself, which she has not done, like this intentional community. We've made a lot of jokes about how it's a cult, and but it seems like she has been pushing away from that and trying to do something positive for people, And the fact that she now is saying, hey, let's just one of us just kill ourselves. I think that is a that's a psychotic break that she is suffering from more than I think, especially, like I said, the illogical nature of well, why isn't Travis the good enough sacrifice? Didn't didn't the Wilderness choose Adam when Shauna killed him? Like, it's not adding up. And it's really funny because last episode I was like, it's a fairy show, like I'm into it, like it's fairies. But now I'm yeah, I was like, I'm into it, it's fairies, it's supernatural. Somebody pointed out True Blood was about fairies, Like why not? But now I'm actually thinking, especially, imagine how horrific it will be if Coach Ben doesn't do what we expect and he doesn't just hide down there himself. Imagine how terrible it will be if he leads them down there after they've killed Harvey and they find food, or they find animals, or they find whoever lived in the cabin before. Maybe they'd made that into some kind of stock storage space, you know, as people were doing caverns and caves. Maybe there's dried meats down there and they have to come to the realization that this is a choice they made. I think that could really be a harrowing way to end the season, and harrowing has been one of the big watchwords for this season, so I think the non supernatural element is and also very clever way to potentially end the season, even if you know they've I think they've said this is a five season plan is what they have for it, and who knows when more see season because they're on strike. But it's very interesting to kind of end in quite a final this isn't supernatural way potentially, and then also then you have season three to blow that up or to go along with it or whatever else. I think it would be very interesting to have a show that is just really ingrained in this idea of how trauma can affect us. But we'll have to see next week because next week is Succession finale and Yellow Jackets finale, and for those who are watching, though we haven't been able to cover it, the Barry finale, so they're really they're coming in strong.
Speaker 1: Quite strong, and quite It's it's a bummer, it's like a bummer pull.
Speaker 2: We are getting intense every day. Sunday is like the most fun. It's meant to be very razing, but we are getting fucking the most intense programming in a long time.
Speaker 1: Well up next, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In today's ned out way, you tell us what you love them? Why oh a theory you're excited to share. Maya Pictures us on Gamma del Toro's mech masterpiece, Pacific Grim. I do believe it's a masterpiece. I absolutely love this movie. I also love the sequel starring John Boyega. Hi Jason, Hi ROSI. My name is Maya.
Speaker 4: I'm a longtime xtraory Vision listener. I could listen to you guys talk about anything you want all the time, even for like things that I've not really tuned in for. I'm always there you guys, bright onw my.
Speaker 2: Week all the time.
Speaker 4: So for minord out, I want to talk about twenty thirteen's Pacific Rim from Germo del Toro. Did not realize we were coming up on the tenth anniversary of it, but it hit made a formative time in my life. I was working at a movie theater in between semesters for the summer we're all excited about this movie about giant robots and giant kaiju. First of all, I love monster making so like the concept and the visuals of the monsters are ridiculously I love them, the big crop one, the Hammerhead one, even the little baby one. Still what plushes of all of them. I think that Also the reason I love this movie so much is the concept of drift compatibility, which I think is one of the coolest sci fi concepts of the last like ten years of movie making. I've probably like spent too many dates talking about it. But the fact that you can only pilot these giant robots by sharing the neural load with another person rather it be like familial platonic romantic like the fact that you have to have that connection to share the load is really beautiful. I think this movie talks a lot about human connection and having faith in each other and how we can achieve things. And as someone who doesn't always see the good in everyone, I think that's why I love.
Speaker 2: This movie so much.
Speaker 4: Not to mention the fact that the scores by Rahman Dijwadi I hope pronounced that right, who also produced the Game of Throne score, West World Score if I ever need to get shit done, I'm playing that full blast, especially the theme song A great cast, Jacks Teller, Ak, Charlie Hunnam at the height of a sense of anarchy phase Rinku Koncucci.
Speaker 2: On Peerlman, Charley Day.
Speaker 4: And then it just Elbow giving the we're canceling the Apocalypse speech, like what more can you want from your sci fi movie? I'm not gonna mention this sequel, even though I was excited.
Speaker 2: To see the drum player was in it. But we're not gonna mention it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I just I want everyone to watch the movie, rewatch the movie.
Speaker 2: I think it needs so much more love. Thanks, Thanks Maya. If you have theories or passions you want to share, hit us up at x ray at crookeet dot com. Instructions in the show notes.
Speaker 1: Well that's it for us, Rosie anything the plug, Plug, Plug Plug Pum.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna plug a TV show on Amazon freeb called Primo. You can't really plug it because you're on strike, but it's really good. It's absolutely delightful. You can watch all the episodes now. It's hilarious, it's funny. Jason absolutely put a boor garlic reference in there for the Star Wars fans. Shay is obviously also like a huge pop culture person, so if that's why you listen to us, you will love it. But it's really just a great family drama, Mike shir you know the iconbine things like Parks and Rex. You're early in good hands, absolutely delightful. The Five Uncles are miraculous, and you will fall in love and you will have a favorite and it's just a wonderful show. So you should go and watch it.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode on Friday, May twenty six. This is the episode of x ray Vision to catch up on some Star Wars, including Star Wars Visions Volume two and its Jedi Survivor. The game that is wrestling four times in our video game Cues against Legend of Ze Tears.
Speaker 2: The way my life has been torn into by those two games, Like, I want to play them both at the same time, and it is impossible. It is just absolutely bond because I'm very excited to talk about it because it is I think a far far superior game to the original. I'm loving playing it. Yeah, it's great. Subscribe on YouTube to x ray Vision, where you can watch full episodes of the show like this one, and check out our discord that we mentioned a lot, because it's full of great people and we hang out in that and there's conversations from Star Wars to Survivor. It's just absolutely great.
Speaker 1: Five star reviews, five star writings. We love them. We gotta have them, you gotta give.
Speaker 2: Them to us.
Speaker 1: Here is one from d ken Dzy twenty three, twenty three. Twenty three, twenty three market Move for a show that has been very Marvel and Star Wars heavy. It's fun when a podcast covers something really different. Market Moves is my favorite segment and I'm sad that it'll end when Succession.
Speaker 2: Ends in a few ooh.
Speaker 1: D Kendzy twenty three. Xtra Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and sul Rubin and executive produced by me Jason Contecci, and our editing and sound design is by Viscillis Fortopoulos. Video production by Delon Villanueva and Rachel Gaieski. Social media by Awa Oklati and Caroline Dunfie. Thank you to Brian Basquez for our themes. Thank you very much, See you next time.