Speaker 1: I Am all In. Oh, let's GISs you.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one eleven productions, iHeartRadio, Higheartmedia, iHeart Podcast Pop Culture, Season seven, Episode twenty Laurel Laurele, I am joined by my intrepid Crewe, Tier Suits and French Amy Sugarman, the World Champion, and Yours Truly.
Speaker 3: iHeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Amy You Are On.
Speaker 2: Harris is serving Doyle and her kids dinner at the Gilmour's kitchen table. During the dream scene, Doyle says, so Salman wants to come over for dinner this week? Is he bringing that boring wife of his? Padma is fine? Doyle says, that's funny. Cookbooks. Doyle, her husband wrote The Satanic Verses, and all you want to talk about is cookbooks. I like top Chef. Salmon Rushdi, Sorry to be so loud. Salmon Rushdi is an author who wrote The Satanic Verses, a novel inspired by the life of the Islamic prophet Muhammed. Salmon has been married five times, with his fourth fourth wife being Padma Lakshmi. Is that how you say her last name?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it is. It is the former host of Top Chef. This is the second time in a few episodes Padma has been brought up. Did you know? After Salmon wrote the Satanic Verses, he became the subject of several assassination attempts and death threats, including one from the Supreme Leader of Iran. Additionally, in twenty twenty two, a man stab Salmon after rushing I remember this, after rushing out of the stage where he was scheduled to deliver a lecture in New York. Is he no longer married to Padma?
Speaker 1: No? Yeah, they're not together.
Speaker 2: They're not together anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Why good?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 4: Candy?
Speaker 2: One more? Yes, called him one more. I'm just in the flow, Horsie Rory or Richard's and Emily's. Well. Not only did he give me a clean bill of health, but doctor Swinton said that he actually thinks I'm in better shape than I was before the heart attack. Well you do look great, dad, very Lance Armstrong did not age well, did not age well. What I want to start with is Lance Armstrong, the star of Danielle Romo's Favorite show, stars on Mars. Lance Armstrong is a former professional cyclist. He won the Tour de France seven consecutive times from ninety nine to two thousand and five, but he was stripped of his titles in twenty twelve after investigation into doping allegations found that he had used performance enhancing drugs over his career, and had to pay five million dollars in twenty eighteen to the Department of Justice to settle a lawsuit against him for lying under oath.
Speaker 1: That's why he had sold his house.
Speaker 2: Such a bummer because he was so like he was so like prolific and with cancer and his survival, you know, beating cancer in his awareness of such a you know important cancer.
Speaker 1: Seen that house, What a great house.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety six, at the age of twenty five, Lance was diagnosed with stage three testicular cancer and was declared cancer free. In nineteen ninety seven. He established a Livestrong Foundation Remember those Yellow, which has served more than two point five million people affected by cancer.
Speaker 1: Can you give the guy a pass? Maybe statistical?
Speaker 2: No, he did lose one.
Speaker 1: We lost one.
Speaker 2: Obviously he had cancer, so why.
Speaker 1: Can't So they're not busting his balls they're busting his ball. Yeah yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think people liked his lying and I don't think they liked the whole to do. You know, it's complicated. I think we need to watch the documentary. I think there is a pretty good documentary and Stars on Mars.
Speaker 1: For seven years in a row, and they took it away from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Testicle jokes are quite appropriated. The scary moment.
Speaker 3: I'm here, Amy, thank you for the Stars on March.
Speaker 2: Do you think of Lance Armstrong on Stars on Mars?
Speaker 3: He had not the best see no, not the best.
Speaker 2: They say it was all a bad edit for Lance.
Speaker 3: Armstrong, who was all a bad edit?
Speaker 2: It was Lance Armstrong got a bad edit on Stars on Mars. Danielle loves Stars on Mars. It was a bunch of celebrities, you tell.
Speaker 3: Don't even get me started. Essentially, it's celebrities that they brought to Australia. But they called it Mars and they had to survive in like a like a space not spaceship, but like a They had like the call like a space hub, and they did like missions on Mars and and stuff, and it had like Ronda Rousey, Marshawn Lynch.
Speaker 2: Marshaun Lynch, Ashley I and Knety forty.
Speaker 3: Uh no, no, no, Adam Adam Rippin rip on.
Speaker 2: Oh Adam Rippon the Olympian.
Speaker 3: So good and.
Speaker 2: Go rewatch it? Is it on streaming?
Speaker 3: I think it was on Hulu.
Speaker 2: It was Fox, so it must be on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good. Check it out.
Speaker 2: I had high hopes for it, Danielle, you want to do one?
Speaker 1: Sure, Danielle.
Speaker 3: All right, Miss Patty and Bebet are allowed to spring to each.
Speaker 2: Other whispering, that's a good.
Speaker 3: That's funny, Luke Steiner and Bebett says, my funny, Valentine, it doesn't work. It's April already. What about don down with love? Ms Patty says, to to open it's too depressing. Be Bet says it's not depressing, it's ironic. Then Miss Patty says people don't listen to music for irony. Babet says, what about weird al?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: My god?
Speaker 3: First of many?
Speaker 2: How many weird al songs? Can we can? We name?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: Eat it? Eat it?
Speaker 1: What? Eat it?
Speaker 2: Just eat it? Come on whatever? He says, eat it? What about I lost on Jeff Birdie? You guys, how do you guys know weird I don't.
Speaker 4: Think I know.
Speaker 1: I know him, but it's not like I.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he was so like in I don't know if it was the eighties. I think it was the eighties, Like we used to listen to Weird Al and those songs were so funny. They were so funny. You guys don't remember eat it in the video.
Speaker 3: I know that I didn't know he's singing it.
Speaker 5: Amish Paradise, Oh, Amish Paradise, so good?
Speaker 3: Oh god, Okay, anyways, My funny Valentine is a show tune from the musical Babes in Arms, sung originally by Mitzi Green. Down with Love is a song from the Broadway musical Hooray for What, sung by Vivian Vince and Weird Al is a musician comedian known for writing and performing comedy songs that often parody specific songs by contemporary artists. Did you Know? Barbara Streisand recorded Down with Love in nineteen sixty three for the second Barbara Streisand album, M Souzanne.
Speaker 5: All Right, Miss Patty and Babbett tell Lorelai of their plans for karaoke night. Miss Patty says, so what do you think? Laurli to open the show? Strysand or Porter? Barbara Streisand is a legendary singer and an Egot winner with a career spanning over six decades. Cole Porter is a composer and lyricist who wrote over eight hundred songs, with many of them finding success on Broadway and in Hollywood films. Did you know? Coleporter experienced a serious horseback writing accident in nineteen thirty seven, which left him disabled and in constant pain, but he continued.
Speaker 2: To work all right.
Speaker 4: So Luke serves Babbett a bowl of shredded wheat. Babbett says it's for my throat gives it a rougher quality, a husky sound, sort of like Debbie Harry meets ethel Merman. Debbie Harry is best known as the lead vocalists of the band Blondie, a rock band formed in nineteen seventy four with her partner at the time, Chris Stein. And ethel Merman was an American actress and singer known for her powerful voice and leading roles in musical theater. And did you know Debbie Harry performs at Coachella in twenty twenty three with Blondie.
Speaker 1: Can anybody do an Ethyl Merman invitation? Do you know Ethyl Merman imitations? No? I don't. No takers anyway, Let's move on. Let's move on. Luke tells Lurlai he's going on a boat trip, and Lorelai is very concerned. Laurela, so anything could go wrong. You're in a boat in the water in middle of nowhere? Have you seen Dead Calm, Open Water, doust Boot? Look? Okay? First of all, I didn't purchase a U boat, Larelei Titanic. Surely you've seen Titanic. Dead Calm is an eighty nine horror film where a man and his wife spends some time isolated at sea. Open Water is a two thousand and three survival thriller about a couple who go scuba diving while in vacation. They get left behind by their boat in shark infested waters. Dust Boot is a nineteen eighty one war thriller based on experiences aboard a German submarine. You Boat. Titanic is a small, little obscure film, very low budget nineteen ninety seven film that we all know and love and the sinking of the nineteen twelve ship not far off of the Actually, from my condo in Halifax, when I go up to shoot my new series, I can almost see the area where the Titanic sinc. They brought the survivors of the Titanic onto into Halifax, onto that port. True story. I know you're got you're fascinated. I know you're stunned.
Speaker 3: No, that is really fascinating.
Speaker 1: Everybody's stunned, silent. Did you know? Did she? Oh?
Speaker 3: Wie, but Scott?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Was it like you can see it from like I thought where the Titanic sink? It was like in the ocean.
Speaker 1: I can see, I can look in the general direction. I can't see it. Wow, but it was supposed to be like you know, I don't know, twenty miles off the coast of Nova Scotia. Wow. Yeah. Did you know? Sharks that were used in open water were Caribbean reef sharks, and the actors were actually tethered to the boat so they did not drift off into the strong current. Reef sharks those things are nasty. Those things will bite your arms off. Anyway, it was very brave of them to film with real sharks.
Speaker 3: Lorela says by to Miss Patty and Bebet as she leaves the diner and they sing so long Farewell back to her. So Long Farewell is a song from Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein's nineteen fifty nine musical The Sound of Music. Did you know? The cast of ted Lasso Receive released a cover of the song for the series finale, A She's That?
Speaker 5: Zach tells Lane he was offered to go on tour to fill in as the lead guitarist of Vapor Rub Zax says, just wait when we're in Philly and DC. We're going to be opening for Tokyo Police Club. Tokyo Police Club is an indie rock band from Canada founded in two thousand and five, consisting of Dave Monks, Graham Wright, Josh Hook, and Greg Alsop. I did not know that was an actual band. I thought they just made it up. Did you know the band announced their official breakup this year?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 5: I guess now it's not a band.
Speaker 1: It's not a band, it's disbanded. Yes.
Speaker 4: So Lane is thinking about what she will need to pack for the babies on tour while talking to Brian. Brian says, I can't wait to see those shows and opening for Tokyo Police Club, Lane says, and maybe Grizzly Bear. Grizzly Bear is another rock band formed in New York in two thousand and two, consisting of Edward Dross Drosty Drost, Daniel Rawson, Chris Taylor, and Christopher Bear. And did you know that? Edward Drosty I think I'm definitely saying that wrong. I'm sorry, recorded his first song on his laptop in his apartment after a breakup, which became the band's debut Horn of Plenty.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and four, Danielle.
Speaker 3: Rory and Lorelei are chatting Luke Steiner about people who had their setbacks. Laura says, Alanis Morissette what no, Yes, but she was successful right from the start. Then, Laurai says, in Canada, she was on Star Search, she David Dave Cooyer, she struggled a lot before Jagged Little Pill. I don't think that's a good example. Jackson Pollock, Mom, Pollack, He's Pollock Mom. Laurai says, he struggled before he succeeded, And I bet if you asked him now, he would tell you he was glad for that. Alanis Morsett appeared on Star Search in nineteen ninety, she was sixteen years old, although reports say she was fourteen. Born in nineteen seventy four. She struggled to launch herself in Canada, then moved to Los Angeles and released her first album, Jagged Little Pill. I would like to tell you all my favorite Alanis Morrisett songs. Anybody have theirs?
Speaker 1: I don't know that many. What's yours?
Speaker 3: Uzan Tara?
Speaker 5: I love Alanis Morrisett and I can't think.
Speaker 3: Of the ironic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one my favorite?
Speaker 3: You remind me? Oh my god, I.
Speaker 5: Can't think of the one. I just heard it yesterday and I can't think of the name of the song. But I do love Alanis Morse.
Speaker 1: Is it ironic?
Speaker 3: You remind me? No? Nope, okay, all right, moving on, Moving on. Jack a Little Pill sold thirty three million copies worldwide, making it the second biggest selling album by a female artist, behind Shania Twain. Dave Koyer is famously known for his role on Full House as Joey Gladstone. Jackson Pollock was an American painter who was widely noticed for his drip technique. He struggled with alcoholism most of his life and eventually died in an alcohol related car collision while he was driving. Did you know it was Madonna's boutique record company, Maverick that finally signed Alanis after she was rejected by nearly every other major label.
Speaker 5: Hand in My Pocket is the song I was thinking of?
Speaker 1: Rory Laurlai. Continue to name people who had a setback, Rory, Mark Twain, Laurlay hmm, Rory Oh. Mark Twain had to work as a steamboat pilot on the Mississippi before he became a successful writer, and if he'd never had that experience, he never would have written Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain was a writer and was praised as the greatest humorous in the United States has ever produced. He wrote Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, the sequel to the Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Did you know it took Mark Twain seven years to finish the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Speaker 4: Okay, So Babbet and Miss Patty sang Friendship, Then they sank Fever by Peggy Lee. Friendship is a song written by Cole Porter from his nineteen thirty nine musical Do Berry Was De Berry Was a Lady and sung by Ethel Merman. Fever is a song written by Eddie Cooley and Otis Blackwell, who used the pseudonym synonym I'm gonna say synonym that's not right? Who would use the pseudonym John Davenport and did you know? Fever was originally sung by a male Little John Willie, but made popular by Peggy Lee. Lee's version contained rewritten lyrics and an altered music arrangement.
Speaker 5: Zak cleans the diner floor as he tells Luke how excited he is to go on tour. Zach says, I mean Detroit. How psyched am I? Luke says, you seem really psyched? Zach, I'm totally psyched. Detroit is a major music hub man for everybody. It's not just about Eminem and Iggy Pop and Motown, you know. And we're not just playing anywhere. We're playing the Magic Stick. Everyone's played the Magic Stick. Crooked Fingers, the Rosebuds, Bobby conn Midland. Eminem is the best selling rapper of all time, with sixty one point five million albums sold. Iggy Pop was the vocalist of punk band The Stooges. He was often called the godfather of punk and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Motown is a record label that is responsible for some of the biggest names in music, including Stevie Wonder and The Jackson Five. The Magic Stick is a historic music venue in the heart of Midtown, Detroit. Crooked Fingers was a rock band led by Eric Bachman, who was the former frontman of Archers of Loaf. The Rosebuds were a rock band from North Carolina with members Ivan Howard and Kelly Crisp. Bobby Kahn is a rock musician based in Chicago, Illinois. Midlake is a rock band formed in nineteen ninety nine with Eric Pulito, Mackenzie Smith, Scott Lee, Eric Nicholson, Jesse Chandler, and Joey McLellan. Did you Know? Eminem was sued by his own mother for ten million dollars for defamation after he released the Slim Shady LP.
Speaker 1: Kirkussing and geor Really Want to Hurt Me by Culture Club Zach critiques Kirk singing Zach, Okay, and gotta tell you This was maybe the funniest moment of the whole episode when Zach said, Okay, this is just sinful. Lane, be nice, Zach, I'm just saying, if you're gonna do Boy George, at least commit to the high heels and the makeup. Boy George is the lead singer pop band Culture Club. Their hit singles include do You Really Want to Hurt Me? Time, Clock of the Heart, and I'll Tumble for You? Did you Know? Boy George manager is Paul Kemsley. His ex wife was part of the cast of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Boy George has appeared on the reality show a few times. I did not know that. Okay, who wants to take this one? I think I'll take it. Lorele I sings I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, a richly by Dolly Parton, who wrote the song. Dolly Parton did write the song, correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In episode fourteen of this season, Zack suggested this song be played at Michelle's dog funeral. Did you Know? Dolly recently explained on The Kelly Clarkson Show that she was in the car listening to the radio when she first heard Whitney's version of the song. I just freaked out. I had to pull over the side the road because I honestly thought I was going to have a wreck. It was the most overwhelming feeling. And you know how great that was? There you go.
Speaker 5: Zach and Luke chat about the karaoke night at Casey's and Zack says, hey, I'm glad you came out last night. Luke says, yeah, it was fun. Zack says, Gypsy doesn't mean Pat Benatar. Pat Benatitar was a four time is a four time grabbing award winning singer songwriter noon for hit Me with Your Best Shot and Heartbreaker. Her song Love is a Battlefield, produced in nineteen eighty three, was her biggest hit. Did you know? Pat's song we Belong was recorded in nineteen eighty four and was featured on the soundtrack of Deadpool two in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: You know she had she had some great songs. She's got great songs. She's got a great band behind her those songs. Oh man, and she's still performing, right yeah. She opened for the Paint Yeah right, oh man. She's a that's what you call a badass right there. I mean, just a badass rock and roll star. I mean, just with those great songs, all right, Laura, I's watching House on Haunted Hill. When Logan knocks on the door. House on Haunted Hills in nineteen fifty nine horror film starring Vincent Price, Carol Omart, and Richard Long Did you Know? In Season one, episode eight, Laurre Lion Max are watching this film in black and white in the black and white and red movie theater where they share their first kiss. It's also playing in the background. Season seven, episode six, while Lorela is on the couch with Christopher, she is on the phone with her mom, leaving her a message on her machine telling her she can't come over to look at her curtains. Okay, and that's gonna wrap it up for this session, Ladies and gentlemen of pop culture. We'll see you next time. Season seven, episode twenty one, Onto the Breach. Thank you, ladies. Keep the cards and letters coming. Best fans on the planet, Remember we and I am all In. Stay safe everyone, everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.