Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Dray with Nick Wright, Episode three eighty four. This episode of What Ray and Nick Right has brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile. All right, real quick, before we insame night last night that went way too long on the East Coast. It was two thirty in the morning out here, and I was like, I don't know if I'm gonna make it. I don't know, I don't know, And I will admit I missed the bottom of the seventeenth, bottom of the seventeenth, I call sleep. I woke up and saw the top of the eighteenth and the Freddie Freeman walk off. Before we get to that, before we get to the Chiefs being the chiefs, a quick little fun story demand, how are you goop, Pops?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing well? So you know this the audience doesn't Thursday Interesting day because this past Thursday, the NBA gambling scandal breaks, the Chauncey Phillips poke scandal breaks, And that night I was already scheduled to be at charity poker tournament, and I actually while I was there, got some legit intel because I may or may not have been able to talk to some people who might have played in either some of those games years back, or certainly when they read the indictment, they're like, oh, that's odd. I sure know that dealer. And so there was some real you know, I guess I could write it off on my taxes. It was a business expense I was investigating. However, here's the reason I bring it up. Hank Azaria, the Great Hank Azaria, awesome comic, voice of so many of the great Simpsons characters, great actor. He has two charity poker tournaments a year. Why is a City Field, partnering with the Mets, and the other is at Costa Chippriani partnering with the Dream School in Harlem. I go to both of them. Last year, the Mets won at City Field, about one hundred and twenty people in the tournament. I won it. And that's how the we won that trip to Baha Mar in that crazy suite your mom and sisters were staying in with the pool table and the butlers and all that nonsense. Uh, that was a I won that by winning the charity poker tournament. So I won. His Mets won last year, his Dream School won at Costa Chippriani Thursday Night one hundred person charity tournament. I'm a two time champlain. I've won both his tournaments. For this one, I got a trophy all in for Dream Poker turna Champion. Shout out Hanka's areas. Shout out Dream School in Harlem. Shout out poker pro Andy Frankenberger, who before the poker tournament gives lessons to everyone in there and then gets dusted by me every year. Shout out to my pals Bellin and Metting and everybody who just go there, donate money and then watch me hoist the trophy every year. What a dream, What an absolute literal dream. Dream Again, the Dream School in Harlem. It's great, good money, good food, good people, really just outstanding. And so I I the prize I I is a sweet with twelve tickets at a Knicks game in December. I don't have the exact details on it, but that's the that's the prize I picked. They were like, oh, you can. One of the prizes is I don't know, however, many nights at the win in Vegas, like you might like that. I'm like, here's the thing that you guys might not know. And I tell people this and they're like Oh really, is that true. It's like it is true. You can stay in Vegas anytime you want for free, as long as one of those times you lose enough playing blackjack. So I like, I, I don't need free rooms in Vegas. I put my work in on that I stay in the Aria for free for life, and so so I took the knixt tickets, but I won the tournament, very happy about it. So and maybe got some real intel or some insight on the scandals in the NBA. We're not going to get into that today because I have to vet some of the anecdotal stories I was told. But I I think more names potentially could be coming out. And I think people that you wouldn't expect to be in some financial trouble might have been in some financial trouble, and so the you know, we will table that for now, but it's there. I would like to get to straight the Voicemail, brought to you by Boost Mobile before we get to the Chiefs. And this straight the voicemail is going to be a long one because we're going to discuss last night's baseball game but lucan an't out with injuries, and which automatically turns Austin reeves into one of the best scorers in the league. Camp Scatibo Scataboo had a really scary, awful injury. Glad he had successful surgery, and shout out to Big Dom sitting sincerely from the Eagles for bringing him cheese steaks and meeting him in the hospital. Big Dom actually does seem like a really good dude. A little I know, I poketonically, yeah, but he does seem like a really good dude, So I like, I think that's awesome. And then the Dodgers take a two to one lead in the World Series and Flatley demans one of the greatest baseball games ever.
Speaker 2: Played, apparently, and that.
Speaker 1: That's not hyperbole. And here's the thing. Sometimes games are incredibly long, and because of that people call them all time great games. But they weren't really great games. They were just long went to well. I was fine with how long it went. But the point I'm making is this, if this thing had ended in nine innings, it would have been one of the best World Series games of the last twenty five years. The Otani just being a fire breathing dragon, combined with Vlattie's scoring from first, the amazing plays defensively to nail guys either at the plate or at third base. The little controversy early when the ump clearly misses ball four, and uh so everybody's going to the I think was Bashett is going to first base, the guy on first is trying to go to second instead, it's a strike and the guy on first gets picked off. It was just an un It was unbelievable theater through nine innings. Then there was another nine innings of scoreless baseball, including Clayton Kershaw being dusted off. Hey, no big deal, Clayton, but it's just bases loaded, two outs, extra innings. World Series even get us out of this jam, and he did all, culminating in Freddie Freeman after hitting a walk off Grand Slam in last year's World Series, hitting a walk off eighteenth inning leadoff shot to put the Dodgers in great position going into tonight's game when Otani is gonna pitch, and Otani is pitching the night after becoming the first player in World Series history to reach base seven times, becoming the first player in World Series history to reach base eight times, becoming the first player in World Series history to reach base nine times, becoming the first player in World Series history to have four extra base hits. I mean, this guy had two doubles, two bombs, and then they just waved the white flag. It was and they and on it and the Dodgers could have and maybe should have lost. It was a one man offensive show that then got some supporting acting from Freddie Freeman and Blue Jay's really gonna be kicking themselves, man, especially with George Springer now injured and the opportunity that they had. And I just don't understand how you pitched Otani in was it the seventh of the eighth when he hit the solo bomb the seventh you have taken the lead in the top of the seventh. Otani's the only guy on the team who's done anything. He's three for three with two doubles and a bomb, and you pitch to him and he of course hits another bomb. Now then after that four straight intentional walks and then a regular walk. But man, oh man, yep, that's gonna be one you want back. And what you guys can tell me on hard rock bet what the Dodgers are favored by tonight? Yeah, I mean with Otani on the mound, Brown minus two hundred, uh is what I see, and they are and Otani's got a you know pitch tonight after playing that game. Justin insane set up and one of the coolest baseball games anybody's ever seen. I know we had an eighteen inning World S game a few years ago. This to me was a far better innings one through nine game, and then just massive edge of your seat drama for innings ten through eighteen, even if it was just insanely late. My god, that was a It was a tough wake up this morning. All right, everybody reminder like rate subscribe review to the pod that helps us out. I just got our numbers for the pod through August. We haven't gotten any football season numbers yet, but the POD's doing great. That is thanks to you guys. We greatly appreciate that. And so if you guys will like rate sub really I know we say like and rate that is the secondary and tertiary request subscriptions we greatly, greatly greatly appreciate. On YouTube or on iTunes, are on Spotify or whatever. I'm sure there's a third audio stream platform that we never mentioned that I'm not aware of. But the you know, the iHeart app do it there too, all right, Deman's let's get to the Chiefs being the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: So you called last night's win against the Commanders for your Chiefs a must win, and you felt like they win by a lot. They did win by a lot. It was a close game there for a minute, looked like.
Speaker 1: At halftime yeah seven and a half.
Speaker 2: So so what was your biggest takeaway from yesterday's game?
Speaker 1: Hold on, I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: Because I think in general you root for you know, me and my success and happiness. But I feel like you maybe during a game like last night, find yourself rooting for the Commanders. Well, just taken down a peg a bit. I can just tell it the way you the way you asked the question. Like you at halftime you were like, oh, could be in a tough spot for Pops tomorrow. Do I have that right?
Speaker 2: It was? I mean, I'm never rooting for them to lose, but you know, certain teams like the Commanders, I understand, like the what are the optics on the Chiefs is they lose a game like this? I do. I'm never rooting for them to win or rooting for them to lose, but but yeah, sometimes I find it a little funny when teams hang around with them and stuff and it becomes like a bigger game than what it should have been.
Speaker 1: But okay, so listen, this game's here are my snap takeaways from it. Okay, So, Patrick, for just the second time all year, made a costly mistake. The pick that Lanimore got was at the time his third pick of the year. Two of what the Jags pick and the Latimore pick were, you know, bad throws and or bad decisions. And then all later in the first quarter, for the second time all year, Patrick made a great throat to Travis that Travis bobbled and got picked, and because of that, the Commanders were able to hang around. Luckily, the Chiefs are back to being the Chiefs in full and because of that, it flatly did not matter. They had a drive in Demondsey. They had a drive in this game that was one hundred and nineteen yard touchdown drive because they got it started on the six and they got penalties on it to where they had to recoup those yards. And as I have been screaming from the mountaintops for the better part of two years, all Patrick Mahomes' needs is a competent offensive line and a league abridge receiving corps which now they have above league average, and he will instantly look like the best player in the sport once again. And that's what's happened last night. By the way, the Chiefs without starting all Pro right guard Tray Smith or certainly pro bowler, I don't know if he's been in All Pro, and as they've been the last few weeks without starting left tackle Josh Simmons, and the Josh Simmons absence looked early on like it could be a problem, as Jalen Moore was struggling a bit with who was it that, oh, Jacob Martin, But the Chiefs steadied themselves at halftime and then after that, it's just an embarrassment of riches compared to the receiving corps that they had all of last season and the first few weeks of this season. And that leads to Travis running wide open, Rashi Rice just absolutely cutting people up in yards after the catch, and even in a game when Xavier Worthy does not do all that much and where Patrick doesn't do all that much with his legs, the Chiefs second half drives are just touchdown touchdown, touchdown, and that's it. And so here is the other major takeaway that impacts the season for Kansas City. I don't know if it's because Andy has adjusted his philosophy. I don't know if it's because Patrick has more sway or input on decision making. And I don't know if it's because Butcker had been so shaky to start the year. But for one reason or another, for the first time in Mahomes' career, he is on a team that is aggressive rather than conservative on fourth downs, and that changes everything for Kansas City. They went for a fourth down in their own territory early in the game. They went for a fourth and goal. They've been doing it all year long. Kareem Hunt is just automatic on these fourth and one plays, and because of that, they are getting seven when they used to get three, and it makes them all the more dynamic and all the more dangerous. And I, of course now have to remind the audience that since the tackle that turned the tide, the Chiefs are a guaranteed minimum twenty eight points a game. Once again, they in that Giant's game, pre and post tackle that turned the tide, they score what thirteen second half points and then after that thirty seven against the Ravens, twenty eight against the Jags despite a pick at the one yard line, thirty against the Lions, despite taking their foot off. No, they didn't take the four of the cast in that game was the Ravens game, thirty seven against Baltimore through three quarters, twenty eight against the Jags, thirty against the Lions, thirty one against the Raiders despite going to benching Mahomes in the fourth quarter, and twenty eight against the Commanders despite a honestly nothing first half. And now they do have demons a real AFC playoff team gauntlet coming up Sunday at the Bills, then a bye week, then at the Broncos, then home for the Colts, and that will that three game stretch will determine the AFC West, it will go a long way to determining the AFC East for where the Bill's purposes, and it will go a long way to determining the number one seed in the AFC. And so I could not feel better about where this team is right now. And oh yeah, by the way, the defense has allowed seven points in the last two weeks, so pretty good, go ahead.
Speaker 2: That's pretty crazy to think about it. I think about it, But how are you feeling your confidence level going into this Buffalo game? On Sunday? We saw the Buffalo just took care of the Panthers after the Bible.
Speaker 1: So it's weird. It's weird because I don't think, if I'm being totally honest, I don't think any results gonna make me feel good because if they lose, obviously that hurts them dramatically in seeding and all of that. But they lose to the Bills every year in the regular season and then beat them in the playoffs, and if they win, then in the back of my head, I will.
Speaker 2: Be like, oh man, this is the opposite.
Speaker 1: Is this gonna be flipped this year? Is this the year you beat them in the regular season and lose them in the postseason. With that said, I just don't think the Bills defense is that good, and particularly who is it is? It was it Ed Oliver who got hurt for the Bills. Yeah, Ed Oliver uh is gonna be out for the Chiefs game, and so he's their best defensive player. So that and Taylor rap was already out, so that already was concerning for Buffalo, and so that I think the Chiefs are gonna be able to move the ball. I don't want to say at will, but with relative ease against the Bills. And then the question is what can the Bills do against the Chiefs team that all of a sudden has the number two scoring off defense in football. The Houston Texans are allowing fourteen point seven points per game, The Kansasity Chiefs are allowing sixteen point four points per game. And so right now the Chiefs, the dynasty's over, the sky is falling. Mahomes isn't Mahomes anymore. Right now, the Chiefs have the number two scoring defense and currently the number six scoring offense, which is less than one point away from being the number five scoring offense. And they've done it, contrary to what I think steven A said this morning. They've done it against what's supposed to be elite competition, the Ravens, the Lions. Obviously they lost to the Chargers and the Eagles, but the defense played well in the Eagles game, not so much the Chargers game. And now they're about to you know, they've got a real This was remember if you remember to Mon's ay, this stretch of games is why I said before the year that if Rashi's gonna be suspended, which he obviously was going to be suspended, that I wanted it to be early rather than late. And they survived Rashi's suspension. They're now five and three, and now they have the stretch of football that will determine whether or not they win the AFC West for the what it would be tenth straight year, ninth straight year, and whether or not they have a real shot the one seed, because in the next thirty days they go to Buffalo, they get a bye, they go to Denver, they host the Colts, and four days after hosting the Colts, they're in Dallas on Thanksgiving and what will be Yeah, and that Dallas game will be I'm gonna go ahead and say it now. I wish it were a Fox game. It's obviously it's not. It's a CBS game. That'll be the highest rated regular season NFL game in years and years and years and the because Thanksgiving, the Cowboys Thanksgiving game always is the highest rated regular season game of the year. And now it's the Cowboys Thanksgiving against Patrick Mahomes. All right, what else do we have on this before we get to other stuff?
Speaker 2: Where do you think Rashi Rice ranks amongst like top weapons Mahomes has ever had him at like two?
Speaker 1: Well, no, I mean he couldn't be higher Tyreek or Kelsey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, I was taking Kelsey out. I was just thinking receivers, but I guess.
Speaker 1: You were just yeah, amongst receivers, he would be number two. Amongst weapons, he actually he actually might be number four at the with Kelsey, Tyreek and number three as far as weapons Mahomes has ever had. Who'd you say?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Mcole Hartman.
Speaker 1: No, Mahomes' first year as a starter before he got kicked off the team, Kareem Hunt and he's back now, obviously, But Kareem the year before Mahomes got there, or Mahomes was there. But Kareem and Mahomes were rookies the same year. But obviously Mahomes didn't play his rookie year. Kareem's rookie season, he had thirteen hundred yards rushing, four hundred and fifty yards receiving almost eighteen hundred total yards, and eleven touchdowns. Mahomes' first year as a starter, Kareem played eleven games. In those eleven games, he had twelve hundred yards total receiving and rushing and fourteen touchdowns and then he got kicked off the team for the domestic violence incident. And the Chiefs have never had a thousand yard rusher in that timeframe, and Mahomes whole career as a starter, so that he was dynamic, and so that's how But Rashi has a chance to be, without a doubt, the third best weapon Mahomes has ever had, if he's not already, I mean, Rashi is. Rashi is such a great player. He's just a great, great player, and his teammates adore him, which is helpful given the trouble he got himself in off the field and then obviously him having to deal with the injury. All Right, one look at the other side of this game.
Speaker 2: So Washington has a pretty tough schedule coming up. They came into the last game with some injuries and they're leaving this game with some more. Do you think it's time to sell all your washingtons?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, so there's I guess there's two ways to talk about selling with the Commanders. One is selling their stock figuratively like you're talking about and absolutely if you if you're holding any Washington stock at this point, that's going to zero for this season. They're three and five next to Seahawks, Lions, still games left against the Broncos, Cowboys and two against the Eagles. This absolutely could be a year from hell six and eleven Season four the Commanders. As far as trading off players, I mean, if I don't know what players they have that would be teams would be super excited about going after. So I if you could get a team to bite on Marshawn Lattimore, I would trade him. But you just traded for him a year ago. I don't so I don't think that's realistic. Obviously, you want you just extended McLaurin, you just traded for Debo. Those guys you're holding on to Doran Payne, maybe I think you would have to consider trading Doran Payin. He's got one year left on his contract after this, but he's probably your best defensive player. So maybe maybe you just kind of have to stampat if you're Washington because you feel like this is just an unlucky regression year and those are you know that you'll be back next season, but demon's they're done, Like do you do you think I'm overstating it. I think they have no shot of being I picked them to win that division. Yeah, I think that they are. If we look at the the NFC playoff picture right now, if just the way the standings read for the playoff picture, Green Bay, Philly, Tampa, Seattle, Detroit, Rams, Niners. Those your five win teams. Then you have Chicago and Carolina as four win teams, Dallas, Atlanta, Minnesota, Washington is three win teams even if you feel like San Francisco, because I to me, Green Bay, Philly, Tampa, Detroit and the Rams are just really good teams that are gonna make it. I also think Seattle is a pretty damn good team. It doesn't feel like they have the faith of the rest of the nation entirely, and the Rams are just I'm sorry, the Niners are just so banged up right that you feel like they could regress. But if I'm right that Seattle is just a good team and there's only gonna be one of those top seven that could fall off, and that's San Francisco, I would think Chicago or Dallas are far more likely to take advantage of the Niners falling off than the Commanders. Given that the Commanders have Seattle and Detroit, two games against Philly left. Now here's what I'll say for the Commanders. I am writing them off already. Season officially on the line Sunday against the Lions, Sunday Night full I'm sorry against the Seahawks. That's the game that's Sunday Night football season on the line against the Seahawks, because maybe the Seahawks could be a little shakier than I'm giving them credit for. You when that game they're five and three, you're four and five, and you have the head to head tiebreaker with them. The problem is the Seahawks still have games left against the Cardinals, Titans, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, and a Week eighteen game against a Niners team that might be done at that point. I just think I think the Commanders. I think it's I don't think they're First of all, they've been super injured. Second of all, I just don't think they've played that well. Third of all, I don't know when Jaden's coming back. All that to me says they're done. I just think they're done. Today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, Hard Rock Bet. New customers can place a five dollar bet and if it itch, you get not only your winnings, but also one hundred fty dollars in bonus bets. Great week to try out the hard Rock Bets sportsbook AAP because there's so much going on this week. Game four in baseball tonight, the NBA is back, and of course football is in midseason, and plus, hard rock Bet drops new promos every day tonight. You can boost your same game parlay for Toronto versus La Game four and swing for extra winnings. Want to see what everyone else is betting on tonight top picks or parlays across any other sport, The hard rock Bet app literally shows you. It's another reason to download the app just for the info. Tap discover and you can see trending picks and parlays at any time. Download the hard rock Bet app and make your first deposit payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida in Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC in all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight eighty eight. Admit it in Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. All right, Demans, let's get to your ravens.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, Before we get to the game, let's talk about Lebar Jackson and how it seems that Baltimore amount of lied on their injury report. You know, we've got the whole thing going on with the NBA right now, so it's a sensitive time. But you think that everybody's missing the real story and this debacle? What what was? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So listen, I don't I understand why of all the weeks to be like, oh, our bad our quarterback that we said was a full participant was actually limited and he didn't take any reps with the ones. He was actually out with the scout team, and that everybody thinks he's playing is not playing. Why this was the worst week imaginable to make that mistake. From a conspiratorial perspective, I understand that, but I do not think that's the story. I think that's secondary to the story. And the story is I believe the Ravens lied on the injury report not to get a competitive advantage, but they lied on the injury report as a way to pressure Lamar Jackson into play. And this demands follows a pattern. And I am going to lay it all out for you with John Harbaugh's own words in twin And keep in mind, Lamar has no agent. Lamar is self represented. There's mom does it. And the reason I say that is because whenever you hear reports about Lamar's status, it only can come from the team. He doesn't have an agent feeding rap reporter schefter stuff and so and by the way, can we please get just a sidebark? Can we please get real news at some point? Again, I mean we Carson Wentz evidently has been at a broken entire left side of his body for three weeks, not reported anywhere. Trayvon Diggs. It suffered a concussion at home that has now put him on the IR We have no info about it. Lamar Jackson, Nobody had a clue he might actually miss time and didn't really practice until Saturday morning. And yet in place of that, instead of getting that real info, what we get is the same five people racing to publish the exact same information seconds ahead of each other about extensions and undrafted free agents signing with practice squads, with agents cited and agencies credited. It's just gross. And you also, I like, you saw it again yesterday with with who is it that? Oh uh, what's his name? The great Sir Tan, Sir Tan, Sir Tan got hurt and Jordan Schultz, to his credit, had it first, and it's like, hey, this is multi week, four to six weeks, maybe IR is a question. And then we get this and this might seem unfair, but from one of the you know, biggest insiders, patxer Tan, the ranking defensive player the year, suffered a peckin strain in the win over the Cowboys. He's considered weak to weak and could land on IR. But solid news. What that's not solid again, that's not a positive news story. It sucks. It's football. There's injuries, but everything doesn't have to be framed as avoiding catastrophe better than expected, the team is relieved. If everything is better than expected, then nothing is better than expected. But I digress to go to the Harball Ravens thing, a Harball Lamar Thing. Twenty twenty one. Lamar hurts his ankle Week fourteen, John Harbaugh says about him playing Week fifteen again, there were games week fifteen, sixteen, seventeen eighteen, about him playing week fe I'd say he has a chance. It's one of those things. It's an ankle spring. If he starts feeling good and everything is all right, we'll check him out, probably pregame. So Harbaugh's saying he's gonna be a true game time decision. He's in all the preparations and all of that. We'll see where we're at. Lamar did not play again that season, and then after the year, John Harbaugh says, quote, Lamar felt like he was going to be back. The first week, he thought he had a chance. The second week he assured me, he said, I'll be back. He missed four straight weeks. Then next year, Lamar gets hurt in Week thirteen during the game there are five games left plus the playoffs. Harbaugh says, it's not a season ending type of knee. Will get more tests tomorrow and let you know how long it's going to be. We'll see if he can go back. If he can go back this week for week fourteen, If not, he'll be some time after that. Shortly, Lamar missed the rest of the regular season, missed five straight games. The Ravens schefter then reports, because Ravens made the playoffs anyway, that Lamar is expected to play in the playoff game according to sources. Again, there are no Lamar sources other than the Ravens. Lamar then misses the playoff game. And then if you remember, tweets out about how it's a grade to almost a grade three PCL strain and a lot of us, my self included, speculated i'd do with Remember he didn't have a contract that p protecting himself because of the contract, which is totally reasonable. Then there's the hamstring injury this year. After the Rams game sixteen days ago, John Harball was asked about Lamar about his optimism surrounding the team going into the by and he said, quote, our quarterback is going to be back. That's probably a big one. And then Friday after practice Harbaugh said full practice today for Lamar, so that was good. There is only one way to read those sequence of events. That sequence of events. Lamar and the Ravens are consistently not on the same page about Lamar's injury timelines, and I believe the Ravens listed him as a full participant and talked about him as if it was a certainty that he was going to play on Sunday as a way to pressure him into playing, and then Saturday morning Lamar shut it all down. I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong in this. It's certainly in play. The Ravens are just far too optimistic, and it's in play that Lamar is the type of player who if he just doesn't feel close to one hundred percent, he doesn't feel comfortable going out there, So be it. I'm not judging any of that. I am saying failing to acknowledge that that is the clear cut inarguable history year is failing to just read the transcripts. And it is because of that demanse that I while I think Lamar is going to play Thursday night, I am not certain of it. And even though Harbaugh said yesterday it's full practice or expecting him to play. I don't think you.
Speaker 2: Can understand that. There's like you're saying, Lamar doesn't have an agent, but Lamar has somebody that's looking at his body when he goes to get checked on on this type of stuff. Why are they not just talking into the Ravens. I'm kind of confused on why there's not just a doctor or somebody telling him, oh, he's out for X amount of weeks.
Speaker 1: Because what's pretty clear is to me because yeah, he has a doctor. It's the Ravens doctor, and Todd Munkin alluded to this a week ago about whether or not Lamar had been cleared. What is pretty clear, given Harbaugh's comments is throughout all of these injuries, and again maybe the Ravens team doctor is doing a bad job, but he has been cleared.
Speaker 2: To play each time, and he is saying.
Speaker 1: I can't, right, and that I think is frustrating has frustrated the Ravens over the years because it the way it works is this, you cannot play without the doctor clearing you. But once the doctor clears you, you then have to be comfortable to play, obviously, right, and I am reading this as a very obvious path of the doctor clearing him and him saying, no, I'm not comfortable playing again. Maybe it's the Ravens team doctor issue. I'm not I'm really not banging on Lamar on this. I am saying that there is a clear disconnect between coach, medical staff, and player. Now, with all that said, Demonse, the Ravens are now the favorite to win the division and the Snoop Huntley saved their season saw some performance. And if you look at their schedule coming up, and you look at the Bengals blowing a game, just blowing against the Jets and the Steelers getting thoroughly outplayed by the Packers, you fully expect, Demonse, the Ravens to win their next four, correct.
Speaker 2: I mean they could win the rest of the games exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean sure they could win any of those individual games, but you would be stunned if they lose any of the next four. At Miami Thursday night at the Vikings, who are a mess, at the Browns, who have the worst offense in football, home for the Jets. So they should be six and five going into the meat of going into the stretch run, where in those final six weeks they have two games against the Bengals two games against the Steelers, a Packers game, and a Patriot game, and throw that schedule back up. They will be favored in every game they play until week seventeen. They will be favored obviously in all their home games, and they will be road favorites against Tua, JJ McCarthy, whoever the Browns quarterback is at that point, and Jake Joe Flackham, and then they'll be So they've got a shot. Now Here is a real scenario we've got on our hands, which would be hilarious. Let's say the Patriots have some gaudy record, which they cook. They're six and two already. Let's say that Patriots go twelve and five. I think it's totally reasonable, given I think the Patriots play one game the rest of the way against AFC teams currently in the playoff picture. Okay, they it's their second Bills game. So let's say they go twelve and five and win the AFC East, and the Bills also go twelve and five. Okay, but the Patriots win the AFC East this is a tiebreaker, and the Ravens go eight and nine, but that's good enough to win the AFC North. They split with Cincinnati, they split with Pittsburgh, they lose the Packer game, and what's their record right now? Two and five? Yeah, it's whatever it is. They go eight and nine, but it's enough to win the AFC North, the Ravens, the eight and nine Ravens hosting in the playoffs, the twelve and five Buffalo Bills, or the twelve and five New England Patriots, or the twelve and five Denver Bronco or if I'm wrong about the Chiefs, the twelve and five, like the rate, the worst division winner, no matter the record, will host the best wild card, and the best wild card in the AFC this year is gonna have a great record. Be it the Pats, be it the Bills, be it the Chiefs, be it the Chargers, be it the Broncos. One of those teams is gonna win eleven, maybe twelve games and have to go to an eight or nine win Baltimore or Cincinnati or Pittsburgh. And it's just what's gonna happen in so hard? All right? Flip side is the Bears game?
Speaker 2: The Bears. So Caleb made some more errors. That Ravens defense that everybody's been talking trash about they looked pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well he has people talking trash or they were just watching.
Speaker 2: They've been bad, They've they've been pretty bad. But yeah, how many more errors or how long will you give Caleb before you give up on him?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not going to give up on him anytime soon. But he wasn't good. I mean, I'm not gonna act like he was good. And that was a huge missed opportunity for them, for him and for them, And you'd like to give him a pass, be like, oh, they were on a four game winning streak, they were bound to lose, but you can't losing that game in that fashion to Tyler Huntley and Caleb playing that mediocre is a huge disappointment. Now, I still think, as I was saying when I was doing the playoff picture before, they're super live. Right now, they're in eighth place, and I think San Francisco is going to be trending in the wrong direction. And their next two demanse. Their next three, I should say, are Bengals, Giants, Vikings. So the Bears should be seven and three. They should be seven and three going in to a really tough stretch of games, and so but Caleb's gotta play better. There's no way around it. Caleb Flaty has to play better. Uh, And I think at this point, I think everybody can acknowledge and accept that.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Chicago's more committed to Caleb or Ben Johnson?
Speaker 1: He's fully committed to both. I mean, the thing is this, Ben took the job because of Caleb, so the he wants to make this work. But Caleb's gotta play better. There's no there's no sugar coating that. All right, let's go to Eagles shines all.
Speaker 2: Right, for the first time all year. Philly looked good on all angles, are all fronts. Saquan was doing his thing, Jalen was doing his thing getting it to his guys. But this all came from a game without AJ Brown? Is there some worry there?
Speaker 1: I don't think they're gonna trade AJ Brown, but this game I think certainly made it slightly more likely. And listen, credit to the Eagles. They looked awesome and Saquon finally looked like Saquon. Now we'll see. Was that a blip for this what's gonna be a down down season for him? Or was that the turning point of the season and they get the buy now, and they feel like we haven't even played that well. We're six and two, where a game out of first place in the conference going into the bye. We've played a brutal schedule. Jalen has twenty touchdowns total, fifteen passing touchdowns in one interception. Like they just don't throw for a lot of yards, but they're super efficient, so they feel good about all that do. I think, though it's on the board demons that Pittsburgh or Buffalo or New England make Philly an offer for AJ Brown that they really have to consider. I do because I do think this is likely AJ's last year with the team. I just think it's too much and he's a great player, but the fact that he wasn't satisfied seemingly after last week's game, and then this week he missed and the offense looked amazing satisfied after the super Bowl, Yeah right, And so I do think that that is the biggest name by far trade deadline's a week from today. That's the biggest name by far to watch is AJ Brown, and I I don't think that they will move off of him, But I don't think it is ridiculous to discuss all right, I know that you got it.
Speaker 2: There's no more more toush push controversy. Do you see Philadelphia abusing this play before it gets exonerated or obliterated. It's the shower.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think what happened in this game. If I were a Giants fan, I'd have been beside myself. I mean, that was outrageous. And here's the thing, and here's what's frustrating for opponents. It feels like it's a one way street on forward progress on the tush push because what you often see is they stop the initial push and then there's like a beat of progress being stopped. Yeah, and then Jalen is not down because he's kind of surfing on top of Linemen gets pushed further. Well, that's fine if that's what we're gonna do, But then that is a lie. Unless if it's at the goal line, then so be it, because the moment you crossed the goal line, the play's debt. But that wasn't it the goal line, And that was as clear of a fumble as you'll ever see. And for the rest to say we whistled it dead, and then for us to hear the audio and be like, no, you didn't that the ball came out well before there was any whistle.
Speaker 2: It's like, I just feel like we shouldn't be giving any benefits to the Like it's composite.
Speaker 1: You would think it would go that way. Like we hate this play. We almost ban this play, so you better not line up in the neutral zone false start fumble. But instead they get that it's the other way. We hate the play and we let you do things on it you can't do it any other play. So I I just I keep thinking we're gonna be at a tipping point in it, and Brady, it keeps happening during these huge Brady Fox games where Brady is pointing out the thing's wrong with it, and nothing change. So I really don't know. All right, hold on, I gotta do something I've never done for the pot. I have to do a quick wardrobe change. So let me take off this sweatshirt. If you guys have been watching Chad Powers, you know what this shirt represents. Now. Series recap for Chad Powers with streams on Hulu and Hulu on Disney Plus for Bundle subscribers. Warning for folks out there, for if any of you are big enough dopes to not have watched Chad Powers yet. Spoilers are coming, So you know fast. If you're listening live on YouTube and I've watched Chad Powers yet, come back in about two minutes. If you're watching this or listening to this, you know, once it's already been posted, just pass forward for about you know, two minutes because there are spoilers to come. All right, I'm gonna be totally candid about my Chad Powers experience. When they first announce that this was going to be a show, I had to say I didn't quite get it because I was like, Okay, this is like a character Eli Manning created or the Mannings created, and I know the people at Omaha. One of the former what you know, one of my former producers at First Things First is a big wig over at Omaha. The guy who hired me at Fox is the head of Omaha. So I wanted to give him the benefit of it's the production company they made it. I want to give the benefit of that out. But I was like, how is this fake character that the Mannings created for Skips going to turn into a show? And then I watched it as part of this sponsorship with our friends at Hulu and Hulu on Disney Plus. Uh, and I was like, they made a hell of a show. So the context, again, I don't want to give it all away, but here's the context. Star Quarterback who And it was actually ended up being very kind of relevant to things that we see in current football. Oddly, star quarterback fumbles the National Championship away and in really embarrassing fashion, not like oh, great play by the other team, Like no, it's dropping the ball before the goal line type of fumble, and then flips out and there's a tough incident with a Make a Wish kid's dad, and it's all on TV and now the guy's you know, smash cut to almost a decade later, and the guy's life's a mess. He was going to be a star NFL quarterback instead, this one mistake has kind of ruined his life. And then and this is where the Hollywood hijinks comes in. He decides kind of what is if you? Kind of an allusion to necessary roughness, the Great Eighties movie with Kathy Ireland and Sinbad and others, and a little bit of Lady Bugs, the Rodney Dangerfield movie. They're like, hey, what if I create a whole new persona Chad powers and I go back to college and try to basically remake what my career could have been. So that's the context of the show. And not surprisingly, throughout the course of the season, what you see is again spoilers, this guy crushes, but there's a little bit of a love triangle involved. There might be some cheating on spouses involving the coach, his family. There's there's drama. It's a comedy, but there's drama, all set on the backdrop of this guy trying to keep his identity hidden while he leads his fictitious college team to a national championship. So that is and I thought this was gonna be a one season arc, but it's not. And again this is the in the end of the spoilers. Season one ends on the ultimate cliffhanger as far as the love triangle, the health of one of the main characters, the championship football game, all of it is right there on the brink snap season over, and they just leave you waiting for season two. So that is that. That's your quick recap. And Glenn Powell, who's a legitimate superstar in Hollywood obviously is the main character. And he's great and he kind of he has to play. I don't know if you guys saw the Glenn Powell movie got starn it, I should have. He plays an assassin in a movie where he plays a bunch of different characters that are all the same guy. He's the same guy playing a bunch of different characters. He has to He does something similar here where he plays himself with the not himself, not Glen Powell but whatever, the jerk quarterback that blew it all, and the nerd. Chad Powers is a double life. He's playing both characters. He's really good at this, playing two different characters type of thing. Uh, he did in the movies, done in this. So that is our quick Chad Powers season one recap. Again, don't just listen to my recap, go check it out to get ready for season two. Chad Powers Season one streaming on Hulu and on Hulu Plus for Disney Bundle subscribers. All right, demons, let's get to Packers Steelers while I put my my I don't know if this is windbreaker jacket whatever it is back on, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: So we thought that the Packer Steelers game was gonna be a Rogers revenge game, but This ended up being a good joy love game, played one of his best games of his career. So far. Green Bay remains the number one seed. Pittsburgh standing is in more jeopardy. Who who do you think this is bigger on? Do you think this is more about Green Bay or is this more about Pittsburgh?
Speaker 1: Listen, I think it's huge for both. Pittsburgh could be in real trouble and Fair's fair. It's you know, Aaron Rodgers held up his end to this Pittsburgh deal. The defense has no Rogers has not own that chat. The the Glenn Powell movie was hit Man, I called Assassin, same thing, but uh Rogers. Rogers is just never gonna throw for a bunch of yards again. It's just not in his game. But he's still efficient, he's still accurate, he's still gonna make some wow plays. The defense has been dreadful, low the Jets to score thirty plus, allowed Joe Flacko and the Bengals score thirty plus, and just allowed the Packers score thirty plus and now and Pittsburgh when you look at their schedule, Deman's this is one of the This is why the Ravens are the favorites now. Colts Chargers, and then in the final six weeks Buffalo, Baltimore twice Detroit. They could be in real trouble. Green Bay. On the other hand, I do think that was the best game of Jordan Love's regular season career. I thought he was fantastic. And when Love plays even close to that level, they're the best team in the NFC. And because the defense is great, I know, the defense had you know, a brief moment where it's like, oh, what's going on? The defense is great, and when Love is dealing like that, they're as good as any team. And that I think they're the best team in that conference. And so I think Pittsburgh could be in real trouble. And I think that the Packers at this moment. Let me put it like this, And that's why I called Jordan Love the most interesting person in the NFL this year. If you believe in Jordan Love, you should believe the Packers are going to go to the super Bowl. I'm I'm sixty percent of the way to believing in Jordan Love, but I'm not fully there. So that's why I don't have them going to the super Bowl. But if he play, I mean, he's played really well. His numbers this year are unbelievable. I don't think he's played quite as well as his numbers, but his numbers are great. All right, Demante, Let's go to Broncos Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Broncos they went out there, they beat the Cowboys. We said that was gonna be a crazy matchup. Cowboys defense obviously sucks, but you gotta start to believe in Denver a little bit at this point.
Speaker 1: Huh, well, this is gonna make Bronco fans so mad. Classic one by me instantly correct, and I should have had the producers pulled the tape of our preseason show when I picked Denver to miss the playoffs, and I said, come around week eight, I'm going to be getting dozens, if not hundreds of tweets of people for the five and three Denver Broncos saying, see how wrong you were? Ready to admit bo Nicks is legit. Now they're six and two, not five and three, And uh, I'll give you my full Broncos thoughts in a second. But when I picked them to miss the playoffs, I anticipated that they would get off to a hot start and then really slow down late in the year. Now, Part of that anticipation was I thought the two Raider games they had late in the year were gonna be tough, and part of that all so was I thought the Raiders were gonna be good, which is why I said I had Denver finishing last in the division. The Raiders are not playing along with me on that, so I do have to concede at this point Denver is not going to finish last in the AFC West. I am not ready at all to concede that they're definitely making the playoffs, and I certainly don't think they're going to win the division. What I do think is this, the way bo Nicks has played the last five quarters makes them one of the best teams in the NFL. I just do not at all believe that is sustainable or really who he is now. If he keeps up even close to what he's been the last five quarters, from the fourth quarter of the Giants game through the entire Cowboys game, then that team is exactly what Sean Payton thought. It was great defense, very good offensive line, stud quarterback, you know, all the pieces you'd want. I don't think that's legit, and you know we'll see I am so I am not yet ready to concede anything close that I was wrong about Denver because I anticipated they would get off to a good start this year. Now, did I think they were gonna win the Eagles game. No, But and I would have thought when I was said they'd be five and three through eight, I thought they'd beat the Colts and lose to the Bengals because I didn't know Burrow was gonna be hurt, and I didn't know the Colts were gonna be this good. Regardless though, I expected them to beat the Jets, Giants, Cowboys. I said it on the preview show. Now, those the Jets and Giants games were weird and ugly, but they got the win. And the Cowboys game I got dead. I didn't expect them to beat the Cowboys going into the Cowboys game, but before the year I did going into the Cowboys game the Cowboys, I picked the Cowboys. I bet on the Cowboys. I got it dead wrong. The defense is awesome. I am worried about the certain injury, and I again, if bo Nicks turned a corner during that Giants game, then this team is to be taken very seriously. We'll see on that. And I think he has. While I expect the Broncos to win Demons because I don't know how Houston's gonna be able to move the ball against the Broncos defense. Bo has a nice test in front of him with the Texans defense. Yeah, that Texans s defens is awesome.
Speaker 2: I bet that's got to be an opinion changer for you though. Like if he goes in plays well against the Captions defense, yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know that don't matter. That'll matter. And the Cowboys, on the other hand, they just can't beat good teams. They score forty a game against teams below five hundred, they score twenty five a game against teams at or above five hundred, but they've lost or tied all those games. And so you know, credit to the Broncos they for totally proving me wrong in that game. As far as proving me wrong in the season, we'll see, all right. So you're thinking about upgrading to the all new iPhone seventeen Pro design even those powerful iPhone ever, but you're also thinking about the trafficking, the way to the store, the assle of transferring all your data. Good news, when you order a new phone online with Boost Mobile, they'll send an expert to your homer work to deliver your brand new iPhone seventeen Pro and get you all set up on boost Moe within minutes, no hassle. Visit boostmobile dot com to get started. Delivery available for select devices purchased at boostmobile dot Com. Terms do apply. All right, let's quickly do MVP before we do the rest of the games around the NFL.
Speaker 2: We didn't get to so a few weeks ago, the MVP was coming down to Mahomes with Baker at second. Baker is now behind Jordan Love and Jared goff and at eighth place. But a dark chorus has appeared and Jonathan Taylor and you said a while back that Jonathan Taylor had a better case to win than Saquon had last year.
Speaker 1: Care to explain, Yeah, so I just think Jonathan. Listen, Daniel Jones isn't as good as Jalen Hurts. We know that the Eagles the Colts don't have the defense the Eagles did. We know that the Colts have good wide receivers. They don't have aj Brown and Devonte Smith. And as amazing as saque On two thousand yards were last year, Derek Henry had like nineteen hundred, right, and Saguan didn't have these crazy touchdown numbers Jonathan Taylor right now is that the rushing numbers are insane. With Jonathan Taylor compared to everyone else, he has eight hundred and fifty yards rushing. Second place has seven hundred and fifty three. He has the I'm trying to see how many like total yards he is because he has eight to fifty rushing. He has one thousand and fifty six total yards. I think second place is two hundred behind him. He has fourteen touchdowns de Monsey fourteen and I think se second place has nine. So I just and the team's been dominant offensively. So if there was ever going to be another running back to win the award, Jonathan Taylor is checking a lot of those boxes and he's gonna get some, you know.
Speaker 2: And as far as that wise, with the quarterbacks going around that the numbers are relatively low this year, well, the.
Speaker 1: Passer ratings are insanely high.
Speaker 2: Okay, the yardage number touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Like yet nobody's on pace for more than forty five hundred yards and nobody's on pace for forty touchdowns. As far as passing, I Mahomes is on pace for more than forty total. But yeah, nobody but the well, it's crazy about the passer rating numbers are there are eleven starting quarterbacks with a passer rating north of one hundred. Right now, there's five with a passer rating north of one ten. So the passer the efficiency numbers are crazy. The volume numbers have not been. All right, let's go to the quick hitters. The other games very quickly, and what was kind of a bad Sunday slate and started with a bad Thursday game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we have the Chargers defeating the Vikings thirty seven to ten.
Speaker 1: Great game by the Chargers. Vikings. Now begrudgingly go to JJ McCarthy after putting Carson wentz out there with a totally wrecked left off.
Speaker 2: I felt so bad for him, dude, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was that was rough, and it might be it might be the end of vote. That might have been his last game ever too.
Speaker 2: That'd be really unfortunate. I hope that's not the case. To be honest, how old is Carson?
Speaker 1: But I mean having season ending surgery and I just you know, I don't know where he'll be next year. But the Chargers got a huge win for them.
Speaker 2: Next, Dolphins defeat the Falcons thirty four to ten.
Speaker 1: So I got this game as wrong as you possibly could. Kirk causes not good, Tua saves Mike McDaniel's job, you know, at least for a week, and the Dolphins look good for the first time all year.
Speaker 2: Next, uh yeah, Jets defeat the Bengals thirty nine at thirty eight.
Speaker 1: So I watched football at Danny's on Sunday, and the way we had it set up, we had a giant TV with a quad box red zone on another TV, and then there was a third TV that we had to pick one of the local games. So obviously we picked Giant Seagulls and as it turned out, yeah, wrong game. Close game of the whole day was Jets Bengals, and we did you know it was the game we probably watched the least of That's a brutal loss for the Bengals. Up fourteen on the Jets. Late. Good for Justin Fields, by the way, after the week he had and shout out to Aaron Glenn down fourteen, scored a touchdown for two and got it, which is what what allowed them then to just kick an extra point to take the lead. A lot of coaches don't do that. It's unequivocally the right call. Shout at him for getting it right.
Speaker 2: Next, Bells Bills defeat Panthers forty to nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I shame on me for not betting the Bills coming out of a bye when they needed it. And this was not a Josh Allen game. This was a James Cook game. Yeah, and shout out to James Cook for being dominant Panthers. Really that you know at home. The Panthers have been tough. They were brutal in that game.
Speaker 2: I think they need a Brice. Texans defeat the Niners twenty six to fifteen.
Speaker 1: Great win for the Texans. CJ's best game of the year. Uh, and the Niners, you just and again I got it. But yeah, the you worry about No, I didn't pick this. I didn't get this one wrong. I stayed away from this one. The Niners defensive end injuries caught up to him a bit. Next.
Speaker 2: Uh, Patriots defeat the Brown thirty two to twelve or thirty two to thirteen.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, no, you're fine. Two takeaways here? Three Actually, Miles Garrett was unbelievable. Drake may Is playing like an MVP. And Dylan Gabriel is one of the worst starting quarterbacks in recent NFL history.
Speaker 2: And that's great.
Speaker 1: The safety was that that might have been the worst safety with respect to Danie Rolofski, that might have been the worst safety in NFL history. And I don't know how the Browns will consider Shudor.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, how many more games does Gabriel have? Like two bad ones?
Speaker 1: It should be zero. I'd go to shodoor. Now you have a bye week. The oddly that division is so bad you can't consider yourself out of it with two wins. The Raven John conser themselves out of it with two wins.
Speaker 2: Next, Buccaneers defeat the Saints twenty three to three.
Speaker 1: Antoine Winfield might have had two touchdowns unfairly taken away from him. Baker for the second straight game, didn't play that well. It didn't matter that, would you know? That was an important win for the Bucks to stabilize themselves, and it was nice for them to get a win without Baker playing well. Brattler's probably done as well, and it's Tyler shuck time there.
Speaker 2: And last one, Colts defeat the Titans thirty eight to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Titans are a mess even by give the rookie grace scale. I'd be a little nervous about cam Ward and Jonathan Taylor was simply unreal in that game, simply unreal. The Colts just anihilate, annihilate bad team. Yeah, we're gonna like they've got the Colts. We're gonna find out a lot about the Colts here over the second half of the year. But they really only they only play one great team all year left at the Chiefs. But they at least play solid teams the rest.
Speaker 2: That's gonna make that MVP race a lot more clear on Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and I but right now that game's buried at one o'clock on CBS, and so I wonder I wonder if that I wonder if that game could get flexed. That Sunday night game is Rams Bucks. I wonder if they'll make it. Chiefs Colts. All right, thank you to Blue Duck, Thank you to Volume, Thank you as always a hard rock to boost to Hulu and Chad Powers and of course are great friends at Zen. I'm going on with Colin in about an hour see on First Things First at three. See you guys back here Thursday morning. Appreciate you. Guy is listening, what track