Speaker 1: You're listening to Math and Magic, a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: There's also the ability to celebrate the successes that people have in a corporate culture. And equally, I feel like you've got to be able to celebrate the failures, right because if you don't celebrate the failures, nobody's going to be willing to take a risk. And if you can't take a risk, you're not going to change a culture.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Bob Pittman. Welcome to Math and Magic. Stories from the Frontiers and Marketing. Today, we have someone who has a storied career, much of it was centered around PR and communications, and he's got some unique insights for us coming from that perspective. He's the head of marketing and Communications for the legendary IBM. It's Jonathan Atischeck. Jonathan was born and grew up in Milwaukee, loved Camp, started with a career in politics, moved on to the business side of a PR firm, an automotive Giant Attack Giant, before arriving at IBM. He not only is involved in AI as a business, he's used it to transform the marketing function at IBM. He's described by those around him as very real Welcome Jonathan, Thanks Bob.
Speaker 2: Great to be here.
Speaker 3: Before we jump into the hot topics today, I want to start with you in sixty seconds. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: Do you prefer cats or dogs?
Speaker 2: Dogs?
Speaker 3: Early riser, night out? Both West Coast or.
Speaker 4: East Coast, East Coast, New York City or Milwaukee Milwaukee, copa, Pepsi coke, beach or mountains beach, rock and roll, our Country, rock and roll coffee or tea, t Books or movies, books, podcasts or streaming TV.
Speaker 2: Streaming TV except for this podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, the right answer, Cook, read out, Cook, Crocs or Nikes, Crocs, comedy or drama, comedy Japan or Paris, Japan. Harley Davidson or Honda Harley Davidson. Okay, we're getting a little harder. All time favorite music art so grateful dead. What was your first computer?
Speaker 2: An Apple iiO.
Speaker 3: Not even the GS No oh, I love that first job. A camp counselor smartest person you know, my wife, childhood hero, my father and my mother. Favorite sport to watch football, Green Bay Packers. The most important piece of advice you ever received.
Speaker 2: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Speaker 3: Let's jump in now to put your company in context and perspective and what you're doing there. I want to do just a little history because I'm sort of a fanboy from Tom Watson Junior, so I want to tell a little story here and then talk about how it relates to you. In eighteen eighty four, National Cash Register Company NCR was founded one hundred years ago. Is one of the dominant high tech companies, so much so that the government indicted some of their senior executives in nineteen thirteen for anti trust. One of them was the head of sales, Tom Watson, and they fired him. In the aftermath of the government indictment. In nineteen fourteen, he goes to another high tech company, CTR, which stood for Computing, Tabulating Recording, as general manager. Ten years later he is made president and the company was renamed IBM International Business Machines. Watson was a true visionary. In the nineteen forties, IBM helped develop the Harvard Mark one. In nineteen fifty two, IBM released its first commercial scientific computer, the IBM seven oh one, which was its real entry into the computer biz. Tom Watson Senior was somewhat cautious about moving beyond punch cards, but his son Tom Watson Junior was not. Tom Watson Junior was president of IBM in fifty two, took over a CEO upon his father's death in fifty six. And the modern IBM is really, from my perspective of the outsider looking in, it was his creation. He moved it from a family run business to the modern management and corporate structure and operations. He was a true leader and innovator in American business practices. In addition to what he did with IBM, the big bet was on the IBM System three sixty in nineteen sixty four. Might have even been a bet the company move. Might be argued also that it's set up the computer battles for the decades to come. So you've got this amazing and historic brand. I tell the story only to really talk about what a brand this is. How do you think about the brand and how do you manage to keep it evolving.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't become one hundred and thirteen year old technology company without reinventing yourself. And you even talked about it in recounting the history. And I think about the brand is one of the most valuable assets we've got as a company. I think that people really trust IBM. There's the old saying of you don't get fired for hiring IBM that used to be there. And I think that people look at IBM and when you engage with IBM, these are the men and women who are going to help us get to where we need to be. And we can trust them to come in and do the right thing for us and help us advance our business and take advantage of our opportun unities. Have we had our bumps? Yeah? Along the way we've had our bumps. Have we not always necessarily stood for that? Yeah? And I would tell you the story of when I first got this job offer. I called one of my closest friends and I said to him I got this offer from IBM and told them all about it. It was to run communications. He said to me, I'm really happy for you, you know, because he knew I've been looking for a while. He's like, this is great. He said, I only have one question for you, what does IBM do. This guy happened to be Sati Anadella's chief of staff. So it said to me, there's a lot of green space to make sure people understand where the company's going. The opportunity that lies ahead for us as a company and the ability for us to get much more focused so people understand what we do, what we don't do, and then how that brand carries behind it.
Speaker 3: So let's take one step down talk about brands in general. What do you think a brand does for a company and its products? What is the brand?
Speaker 2: I think the brand is the principles, It's the people, it's the policies, it's the practice. I talked about trust before. People trust it, but that's because trust and ethics are at the heart of how we operate as a company. I think a brand is a manifestation of what you bring to life as the organization, not just what you sell to your customers or your clients, but how you operate, how you work together inside of a company. That is what the brand is. And then people look at that and go, I want to be associated with that, or I don't want to be associated with it.
Speaker 3: In certain cases, you were at Microsoft and you've been at IBM, two big tech names in American history. By the way, both of them evolved and as you say, up and down. But how would you compare and contrast those two brands.
Speaker 2: There are two iconic brands in the history of our country, and I would argue in the world and the changes that both of them have made in the economy, in the lives of people around the world, it's hard to find others that have had the same impact. In my view, I would say Microsoft's a much more consumer facing brand, and people know when they're dealing with Microsoft when you open Word or Office or any of those things or use your Xbox. IBM, on the other hand, the way I like to think of it as in many regards where like the rails, people interact with us every day. Most times, I would argue, people don't know they're dealing with us unless you really are focused on what does IBM do into the details. So they're two different paths, but two iconic brands, two iconic corporations that are really important to our country and to the broader global economy.
Speaker 3: You did a wide range of work for clients all over the globe when you were at Edelman huge pr agency. What lessons did you take away from that that really added a dimension to you as and shaped you as a marketer.
Speaker 2: One of the things for me, Bob you alluded to it in the opening is how much I loved Camp I grew up going to summer camp in the north woods of Wisconsin, a place called camp In or Lochin, and I really learned there the meaning of a hard day's work and the ability to say I'm not going to ask somebody to do anything that I wouldn't do myself. Up a camp, I'd teach lifeguarding. And you're in a cold lake in the middle of Wisconsin and.
Speaker 3: Really cold, really cold cold lake, you I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Say, go swim laps without me jumping in with the class and saying, Okay, I'm going to swim the laps with you. Fast forward, and I take that gentleman where I sort of said, we're all going to roll up our sleeves and do whatever we need to do together. And I carry that with me today, that whatever needs to be done, we just need to do it. And the other big thing I remember often saying to Richard Edelman, who was a great sponsor and mentor of mine and gave me some amazing opportunities. But I would say to Richard oftentimes I'm going to do this job, Richard, like I don't need it. And if you take that approach of like I'm just going to go do it the way I think is right. And if it's not the right way, and you say, hey, you got to go. You got to be willing to take risks is basically where I'm getting to because if you don't take risks, you're not going to advance your career.
Speaker 3: Fantastic advice. We're going to come some advice later, but that's a great piece of it right there. In addition to starting and building brands, I've also been involved in rehabilitating brands. And it always intrigues me how brands lose their way? Why do you think and how do companies lose their way on their brand?
Speaker 2: Very simply, they lose focus. If you lose focus, if you try and do too many things, if you get away from what is core to your business and what you need to do as an organization, and make a move that's too quick, that doesn't bring your existing clients your employees with you, you will start to lose focus. I was fortunate when I was at Edelman. I had Starbucks as one of the clients and I was the global client relationship manager there and Howard Schultz used to often say to us, if we lose our existing customers because we're focused on getting new ones, We're going to spend more time, more money, more effort trying to win back the customer we just lost than trying to go get the new ones. And we can't do that.
Speaker 3: So in an organization, how do you ingrain that in people so that the organization stays focused on focus.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell you what I'm going to tell you. I'm going to tell it to you again, and then I'm going to tell it to you one more time, and I'm going to keep telling it to you until you're sick and tired of hearing it from me. Because when I get frustrated with it, then finally you're just starting to listen. Being repetitive and being transparent that is really key.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you talk about that on our music radio stations. I start out as a radio announcer and it's on the air, and when the people on the air are sick of a song, I'd have played this song so much if I got to play it one more time. Going to shoot myself is about the time the consumer says, what's that new song you're playing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting. I think in every business how detached do we get from where the consumer is if we're not extraordinarily careful about looking at data as opposed to trusting our gut.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: You know, when you think about brands, there s need to be two models. One is, let's call it the Steve Jobs model of there is a person who is the keeper of the brand. There's the other model and Microsoft where the company sort of institutionally kept the brand. How do you see it? What do you come down on that one?
Speaker 2: I think that when you're looking at a big company overall, it's too much for one person, any one person, to be the only person who keeps the brand. And I think that the principles of the brands need to live in the organization on a day to day basis. And the way I look at IBM is we've got I don't know, more than two hundred and seventy five thousand people around the world. They need to be instilled, they need to be representing the brand to people around the world. They need to be understanding what we're trying to do as a company to help them do that, and if they're not, then we're failing from the beginning. They're great leaders at those big companies that you talked about, But I think I'm a believer that the bigger group will make it even better.
Speaker 3: You're in charge of marketing. Your job is to get the brand out. How do you train those two hundred and seventy five thousand employees on the brand?
Speaker 2: You know, it goes back to repetitiveness as we talked about. It goes back to radical simplification in the messaging and the positioning and what you're trying to do. And it really is making sure you're enabling people. You're giving them the tools, making it easy for them to find what they need to carry that message forward in whatever situation they need to be in. You have to serve it to people on a silver platter. You can't make it an expedition for them them to go find information about the brand, about whatever you're trying to do. Otherwise, they got other things to do in their lives. They're going to go do other things and then tell whatever story they want.
Speaker 3: Let's apply it to politics. I know you were in the Clinton administration, and for those of us who were old enough to be a part of all that, you would argue a brilliant marketer of what he did. Can you use some examples from that.
Speaker 2: You know, I think for him, he got to very direct engagement with the voters, and he made it a very simple message. Remember, it's about the economy, stupid, right, And that was key and everybody could understand that simple message. And he was so engaging with people that whether you were in the room, if you were in the room and engaging with them, you felt like you were the only person there. You could be in a room of one hundred thousand people and you felt like you were the only person. You and he were the only two people there. But if you were also watching it on television or seeing of it someplace, I think that carried through it transcended. President Clinton was an amazing is an amazing communicator, and I think it's he's one of the rare talents. You don't see people at that level on a regular basis, and I think that's really how he pushed it.
Speaker 3: I want to tie brand a little bit to corporate culture. How do you think about corporate culture? What is it and how does it help a company succeed.
Speaker 2: Corporate culture is really important because you can get set on the business and know where you're going from a here's our objective from a business goal, But how do you get the culture that's going to be there to really enable that is a whole other effort. And as I talk about it with Arvin Krishna, our CEO today, Arvin's very focused on how do we make sure that we've got a culture that enables what we want people to do? And I think a key part of this whole driving a culture. There's transparency, there's the ability for people to take risks, there's the ability for people to move with speed. Those are really important pieces. But there's also the ability to celebrate the successes that people have in a corporate culture. And equally, I feel like you've got to be able to celebrate the failures, right because if you don't celebrate the failures, nobody's going to be willing to take a risk. And if you can't take a risk, you're not going to change a culture. So how do you continually evolve? And I think that evolution of a culture is more important today than it was in the past because business is changing, technology is changing, the landscape is changing so much.
Speaker 3: I think your point about celebrating mistakes failures is hugely important. How do you do that.
Speaker 2: I'll give you an example of me. One of my first meetings that I had and once I took over marketing with Arvind and some of my peers. It was my worst performance in my professional career, hands down. Why I was anxious. I didn't have my hands around the data the way I wanted it to. I didn't feel comfortable. I just I did not land it. It was so bad that Arvin stopped me in the middle of the meeting in front of everybody and said we'll deal with it later. I called him after the meeting and I talked to him and I apologized because I was like, that's not what you expect from me, and that's not why I'm here. And he gave me some good feedback and was understanding and was clear that we're going to fix it. It's not fine, but we're going to fix it. And every Friday I write a note to my entire team around the world, and that Friday, I wrote a note in explicit detail explaining to people what happened there. And many people could not believe that I was being that vulnerable and that transparent with my team at all levels of my team, saying this is what I did, and oh, by the way, the CEO cut me off because I was so bad. It showed people A not everything's perfect, and b we all can make mistakes and things can happen, and you can adjust, you can learn from them, and you can take a step forward and do it. That's a simple example for me.
Speaker 3: Did that writing the note give you more cred and stronger relationships with the org than if you had done a really good presentation. Never had the opportunity to do something like that.
Speaker 2: I think it helped me with some people, not with everybody, And personally writing that note was so cathartic for me as well. But I think it was important to show that not everything's going to be perfect, because I say it all the time, not everything's going to be perfect, But you have to show that not everything's going to be perfect.
Speaker 3: I worked for a brilliant entrepreneur, Steve Ross, who really created Time Warner out of have Spather and lost two funeral homes, and he used to say, you know, Bob, you'll never be fired here for making a mistake. You'll be fired here for not making a mistake. John making a mistake tells me I don't try anything new because nobody gets it right one hundred percent of the times, and we want you to try new things. More of math and magic. Right after this quick break, welcome back to Mathem Magic. Let's hear more from my conversation with Jonathan Adaschek. Let's go back in time to get context on you. Milwaukee. I actually was the midday disc jockey a writ radio there in nineteen seventy two. I did one semester at Carroll College in Walkshaw. I once ran a theme park company, six Flags, with a park halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee. And yet Milwaukee remains a mystery to me. Can you explain that? I mean, it is a unique culture. They don't have water fountain, stay of bubblers. Can you explain it? And tell us about the Milwaukee that was there when you were growing up.
Speaker 2: So I grew up just north of the city in the suburb was a town called Whitefish Bay. It was a great place to raise a family and to be a kid growing up and playing in the streets. We used to play kick the can and climb on the neighbor's roof to hide from other people and all that kind of fun stuff. And it was an amazing place. Unfortunately. It was also a very segregated city, to the point that my mother was on the school board and in Whitefish Bay, and there was a big desegregation lawsuit and it was Section two twenty, I believe it was called. And part of the settlement was that the suburbs would bust kids into the city, and the city would bust kids into the suburbs. And my mother said, I'm going to ask the people in the village Whitefish Paid to do the same thing. I'm going to lead by example, so you know, I want you to go. My parents told me, you're going to go, get on the bus and go into the city. And I loved it. I loved it. I used to take the bus to elementary school in downtown. It was across the street from the Schlitz Brewery. And I remember the day the Schlitz Brewery went on strike and never came back. And I remember asking the bus driver every day to stop at the USA Today box I can put a quarter in and get the paper. It was just a great city, a city that is so passionate about Milwaukee, about the brewers, about the bucks, about the packers, about just the great heritage there, you know, the saying is it's a great city on a great lake.
Speaker 3: And it really is an amazing I've not heard that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great line, and it's changed a lot and it's even more fun to go to today.
Speaker 3: I grew up in Mississippi and I drove to Milwaukee in a car, had never been north of Saint Louis and I showed up there and man, I hate food I never seen in my life. I mean meat and potatoes Mississippi. To the food that was available in Milwaukee, it was great interest in me. Frozen custard, yeah, god, it everything.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: I still go back every year.
Speaker 2: My kids go to the same summer camp that I went to growing up.
Speaker 3: You've talked about camp being very important. Clearly it's had an impact on you. What do you think it really did for you and what do you think people can get out of camp with their kids.
Speaker 2: Camp is the place that I have my closest friends. Those are my closest friends.
Speaker 3: And how many were from Milwaukee versus other places?
Speaker 2: A lot were from Milwaukee, some from Madison, some from Chicago. But you also had people who would come from Israel every year, or there was a guy who lived in Hawaii or the guy who lived in France. But it's become even broader now, but those are my closest friends still to this day. We are all there for each other at the moments that it matters the most, whether that's a celebration or a moment of sorrow with the loss of a parent or a sibling. We all travel around the world to see each other. It taught me about relationships, taught me about a hard day's work. As I got older and worked there we build and you know, have these amazing days out in the north woods of Wisconsin, and I just love it and I love the fact that my kids go there.
Speaker 3: What life lessons did you learn from your parents?
Speaker 2: My parents did everything they could to take care of us, there were five of us, and to give us the best life they really could. And it wasn't without hardships. My dad was an entrepreneur and had his ups and downs in business, and that could cause some difficulties in the house money wise or just tensions, but we always found a way to work through it. And they always said, you know what, unconditional love is there, and it's something that I always make sure my kids know that unconditional love, no matter what happens, is never going to go away. And when I get on a plane, every time I leave the house, I always say to my kids, never forget. Well, I might not be here tonight to say good night to you. Don't forget I love you more than anything else in the world. And I really took that from them, and I really try hard to carry it forward.
Speaker 3: That's great to push that to the next generation. And by the way, there's a through line you hear again and again and again of successful and confident people. How did you jump to politics? Was that your goal to be in politics or was that an accident?
Speaker 2: My mom ran for school board and I still remember hammering the signs into the frozen ground of Wisconsin Whitefish Bay, and I remember saying, I was I don't know, nine, ten years old, and I was like, I want to go work in the White House one day, and I want to slog through the snows of Iowa or New Hampshire with a presidential candidate. And I just stayed focused on it, and so yes, it was my goal, Wow, to go to Washington, d C. To work in the White House in the West Wing.
Speaker 3: And when'd you go to the Clinton White House? When was that? What year is.
Speaker 2: At ninety seven? I started in the White House?
Speaker 3: Well, lucky you.
Speaker 2: And then slog through the snows of Iowa with John Kerrey when he was running for president. It was great. I was very fortunate. I had two big goals I wanted to do and I got to do them both. You know, at a very young age.
Speaker 3: Well it's fabulous. Just jump to autos. You were actually working in Japan and Nissan. How did you wind up there? I mean, this is a jump and you, I guess, had been an Edelman before that, right?
Speaker 2: I went Edelman, then I went to Microsoft, then I went to Nissan, and I knew that I wanted to make a change for Microsoft. I loved Microsoft, but I knew that I wanted to become the chief communications officer at a global company and ideally live overseas. And this sort of came about a lot of people said to me, what's the difference? How did you make that jump? In reality? Today a car is not just an engine on four wheels. It's a computer sitting on top of an engine on four wheels. Today it's helping to facilitate how you move your whole interactions that you've got on your phone and whatever content that whole thing. So it was a much easier transition. I felt like then a lot of people thought it would be. I would say a big difference is when you look at the margins and the two businesses. Right, Automotive Nissan's an amazing company. I'm its biggest cheerleader, But the margins and automotive are much thinner than they are in technology. And you really watch your dollars, and I think it makes you get a lot more creative in how you spend them and where interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even in a high margin business, cost matter, Cost matter still goes to the.
Speaker 2: Spend a lot of time on that topic. Right now.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you what you learned in that industry, but it sounds like you learned about cost and the importance of it. What else?
Speaker 2: I also learned a lot about the global perspective. Right So, at Nissan I had a team of three hundred and fifty people around the world who were really working on a range of different issues everywhere, whether it was around manufacturing, or it was selling vehicles, or it was regulations or issues management, any of those things, and it would differ from wherever you were in the world. I was forced to learn a lot more about if you take an action here in this country, how is it going to carry over to another place?
Speaker 3: As on a side, did you ever learn to speak Japanese.
Speaker 2: A little bit? But I could say to you right now, futatsubidugon guys chamas.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what you said, but it sounds impressive to beers. Please, Okay, so let's jump to hot topic. It's something we have to talk about always on Mathemagic AI. In addition to selling it, you actually use it. You're right in the middle of it. You've used it to transform your own infrastructure. Can you talk about the Let's Create marketing campaign launch in twenty twenty two and how you pulled AI around that, and then talk about how you've used AI in the organization.
Speaker 2: AI's been really instrumental for us as a company. We've been at it for a long time from Watson and Jeopardy. But when Arvin Christian became CEO in April of twenty twenty, he said, we are going to be the leading hybrid cloud and AI company. This is well before everybody's talking about generative AI. That focus that helped us then take it to the rest of the activities we were going to do around marketing, around communications, around the products that we build. And a fundamental that we've been doing is we've implemented what we would call client zero, where we're creating AI products and services, we're using them ourselves as a company, and then we're going to talk to people about those. So in the past two years, we've taken roughly three point five billion dollars out of our run rate, largely using AI and automation. That then we can go have a conversation with somebody and say this is what we did. Let me share with you the good, the bad, the ugly. People will then make it decision if they're going to work with us or sometimes we're just sharing that out of best practices. There many times I have conversations with fellow marketing leaders about how do we simplify how do we take our event budget? And today we do half the number of events that we were doing just over two years ago, but we're getting five percent more return on those events because we're much more targeted using AI. We're creating better content, we're creating better experiences. I've got a team of roughly three hundred designers, eighty percent of their average time is spent on derivative assets. By giving them AI tools, we can take that eighty percent down. That's not eliminating their job, but that's enabling them to do more creative But for me, it's just starting. There's so much more AI that we're building out in the function for marketing, for communications, for CSR across the board. That's really going to change the way we're managing our content andbuting it making sure we're taking people on a journey that is full of not just personalized content, because that is where everybody seems to be going in marketing today. It's got to be relevant content because I couple weeks ago got a personalized email in my work address around a hair extension thing, and I didn't care about it. But if it was relevant, then it's a different level of engagements. I think people who are just talking about personalization only have half the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're very much on target. I was at AOL in the mid nineties when we sort of brought the Internet to the mass market, and it's interesting everybody was talking at the time and said, you know, you're going to have all this free time now because this is going to do We didn't have any free time. We did more work. Whatever time we had we filled up. We was able to double our work, triple our work. And you're making that point about AI that we're not going to create more time for us to do nothing. We're going to do more in that same amount of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean jobs will change, people will have to move into different roles. If you think about go back to telephones, right, for a while, you had to call the operator, had to patch the call through. Yeah, when the operators went away, that didn't mean that all those people lost went out of work, became unemployed. They changed the roles that they were in. You can see this happen through the history of our economy in the past, right, and I think it's going to happen here too.
Speaker 3: So let's go back to the Let's Create marketing campaign which you were talking about focus and I just love what you did with Let's Create because at the heart of it, it seems to be about focus, about let's take all these disparate things and let's build one umbrella for this company.
Speaker 2: We had more than forty three campaigns out there at any one time, and really trying to get everything under one umbrella was crucial for us. You know, a lot of this is driven by data, and our fundamental is our clients. Data is our clients data. It's never our data. They hold the keys for it. So the only way you can really get to a solution or take advantage of an opportunity is by doing it together. And that's why we went with a model of let's create and it's really been a big focus for us. And it's not just an advertising tagline, it's what we're trying to do with our clients in practice as well, and really part of our work as an organization as a company is we don't just go in and solve our clients problems for them, we create solutions.
Speaker 3: Five years from now, paint the picture of how AI will change American business or worldwide business.
Speaker 2: Today we say AI is moving so fast. I think five years from now we'll probably look back and go it didn't move as fast as we were thinking at the time. But I think that what's going to be key is skilling in five years from now, because the average shelf life of technology skill to day is just under three years, so the ability to give people time in jobs to regulate, keep their skills up to either use an AI tool or operate in an organization that has AI deployed. That is going to become more normal. I'm more normalized. I work in a company that today does think forty and says you should take forty hours of learning a year, So we provide opportunities. Not everybody gets that same opportunity, and I think that's going to be more regular. I think that the ability if I focus into where we are in marketing and the client journeys, I think it's going to be a much more personalized, relevant journey that is going to have a better understanding of where they are in a buying cycle, when they're engaged, when they're not engaged, in how you better tell the story to them at the various times where they are. And I think it's going to create more opportunities for people to focus on the things that they're really passionate about and bring new ideas to the market.
Speaker 3: I want to do a little advice. You've got this great range of experience someone wants to build a career. How important do you think range is versus I'm starting here in the marketing department and I'm going to one day wind up being the CMO. I mean two different approaches to winding up in the job you're in.
Speaker 2: I think that you have to get to a point where you have a good level of discomfort in your job. People get to a job and they get to a place where they're like, I can do one hundred percent of this job with my eyes closed, and I'm always comfortable. And I think you need to get to a place where you're like ten percent comfortable and ninety percent is forcing you to learn new muscles, and I'm always trying to learn build new muscles. You can do that. You can say I'm going to start in this marketing job and I want to be the CMO. But the best way in my mind to do that is to build a vast set of professional muscles so that you understand, Hey, the business is trying to do this, and I understand why they're trying to do that and the impact it's going to have on our bottom line, so that I can then understand what marketing actions I have to take to deliver my part against that. So I think that range is important, and I think it provides people with opportunities that they never even thought about before.
Speaker 3: Fantastic. So one more piece of advice, if you could go back in time, what advice would you give your twenty one year old self.
Speaker 2: Don't sweat the small stuff and don't get so excited.
Speaker 3: You know what, That's a very common advice people give through the twenty one year old self. This must be something about twenty one year olds versus a older folks.
Speaker 2: I used to get a little more excited in my days, and I try and just be a little more relaxed now because I now understand that not everything's going to be perfect. How do you learn from every interaction you've got?
Speaker 3: We end each episode of Math and Magic to allow us to do a shout out. It's called math and magic because I think there are the two components of marketing, two components of business. Is you've got to know the data, you got to know the math side of it, but you've also got to do something with it. Just because you know about the person, I mean, you can excite them. You need some magic there. Who would you give the shout out to for the math side and the magic side?
Speaker 2: I got to say on the math side, the ability to understand the data and to really look at things. There's two people who I've come across in my life who really get it more than any others. One is Larry Summers when he was Treasury Secretary. I worked for Larry and his ability to look at information and put it together and really comprehend it in a way that none of us could as as quickly as he could. For sure, it made an impact. Sometimes it was frustratingly impressive. And my current boss, Arvin Krishna, he understands the data unlike anybody else I deal with, and I sit down with him and talk about things, and his ability to pull a fact from here in a fact from here and put it together and then do the math around it is really quite amazing. On the magic side, can I give you my magician in general?
Speaker 3: Yes? Please?
Speaker 2: Oh's the mentalist.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Somebody just said they just saw him, and then they made me watch a video that had taken on their cell phone. Jonathan, I am really fascinated with the range of your career. It's really unusual and very impressive if you ever get the chance to do it, and those that do don't do it quite as well as you do. And the momentum you've got at IBM is so impressive. Thanks for sharing your insights and stories today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bob for having me and really honored to be here. And I'm a lucky guy throughout my career and lucky to be here with you today.
Speaker 3: Well, you're very nice. Thanks. Here are a few things I picked up from my conversation with Jonathan. One, do your job like you don't need it. This may sound counterintuitive, but for Jonathan, his philosophy revolves around taking risk. If you're playing it safe for getting comfortable, you're not living up your full potential. He believes that trusting your instincts, putting yourself out there, and even failing can be the pathway to advancing your career.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: Repetition doesn't have to hold you back. Lived experience and data shows that when you're getting sick of a certain message, that's about the moment when other people are starting to hear it. Radical simplification and repetition are what makes a message truly accessible, whether within a company culture or for consumers. It's not about keeping you stuck where you are. It's about advancing and broader understanding of your story. Three. B Client zero at a time when AI is still daunting for many, IBM is leading the conversation by example. They're embracing AI at every level, and they're being transparent about the good and the bad. AI has allowed the company to grow by leaps and bounds, but perhaps more importantly, they've established a trustworthy reputation in a rapidly evolving space. I'm Bob Pittman. Thanks for listening. That's it for today's episode.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, thanks for listening to Math and Magic, a production of iHeart Podcasts. The show is created and hosted by Bob Pittman. Special thanks to Sidney Rosenbloom for booking and wrangling our wonderful talent, which is no small feat. The Math and Magic team is Jessica Crimechich and Baheath Fraser. Our executive producers are Ali Perry and Nikki Etoor.
Speaker 3: Until next time.