Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Monday, Dan and the Dan Ats, Dan Patrick Show back in the Home, Man Cave, slicing and Dyson super Bowl fifty nine. Got a new poll question coming up this hour. Spend some time with Bill Cower, the former Steeler head coach. If you miss any of our interviews, you can go to Danpatrick dot com. Devin mccordy, a former Super Bowl champ with the Patriots. He works for NBC Sports, will join us. Coming up, we will give you our best and worst of the weekend. Good morning those watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. The countdown is on Celebrate one night, fifty years in the making. The Saturday Night Live fiftieth Anniversary Special premiers this Sunday on NBC and Peacock. Gangs al here the Minister of Humor, Fritzie Seaton, Marv Pauli, Yours truly, and the back room guys as well, Seat and Pole question will clean up our ones poll question results. What do we have for hour two as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see, right now, we had who had the best night? Vic Fangio and the Eagles defense running away with it. They've got about seventy percent of the vote, followed by Jalen Hurts. We're gonna switch it up to who had the worst night? Your candidates, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, the broadcaster, Drake obviously, Oh, Nick Wright, Oh, I think we might throw in there. Ooh, the Fox Graphics team. We have many options for this one. Would you guys suggest anybody else on that list.
Speaker 2: I'll put Taylor Swift in there too. Yeah, I think she had a bad mix. But do I put Ta Ta and Travis Kelce together? I think they're I mean they are a couple.
Speaker 3: I mean there were engagement rumors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all. Don't think that's happened. That would have been awkward if all of a sudden, the Eagles are celebrating and you know, Travis gets gets engaged. Yes, Marvin, Travis Kelce his outfit.
Speaker 4: He lost and he had to put his Saturday Night Fever out outfit back on.
Speaker 2: That's tough because you can walk into a game and be like, yeah, right, that guy's dope, and you can't tell by the way I use my walk. I'm a woman's man whoa okay, no time to tell. Yes, we've discussed this before.
Speaker 5: He has to wear the same outfit out of the building because you can't plan a loser outfit. We would have crushed him if he had a secondary, muted hope outfit in case of losing.
Speaker 2: I don't think you walk out in that outfit. You can't.
Speaker 5: You can't bring a loose in case of loss outfit break lass.
Speaker 3: I think you have like like a Chief's track suit or something that looks okay.
Speaker 2: I think that's what you do, Like a staffer hands you a quick tracksuit. Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, I think that's the move. Still, it shows weakness. I don't think you could bring a garment bag over your shoulder and it's like, what's in that? In case we lose? This is my outfit when I leave a big weight l on the outside, what else do you have there? So that's okay? Nick Wright did not have a good night. He thought that the Chiefs would go down as the greatest team or maybe the greatest season in NFL history. There was a three peat. We already were kicking Tom Brady to the curb as far, you know, far as being the goat and Patrick Mahomes, as we saw in the Tampa game in the Super Bowl, at offensive line's not good, he's not good. I was just shocked that they didn't try to run the football. I thought, at least give the defense, you know, the possibility a hint, a rumor that you might run the football. Now, granted you don't have a home run hitter like Saquon Barkley, but still give them something to think about. And then I still believe when it was seventeen to nothing, all right, there's shock that's going on out of it. And then all of a sudden, you know you have the pick six, and then the next pass you attempt you get picked off again. And I thought that was it. Because if you go down at seventeen to nothing and score at seventeen to seven, go into halftime, you get the ball second half. Now there's a chance that you never put pressure on the Eagles to think, oh my god, here they come. Even the last two touchdowns that Mahomes threw, although they were really great plays, they didn't matter. I mean, you got backups who were in there. I mean, I didn't think Kenny Pickett was. I don't know if there was a prop bet if Kenny Pickett now Carson Wentz. I thought maybe if the Chiefs were up big, Carson Wentz would get in. But Kenny Pickett, I'm like, dang, he gets a Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 3: Seeing the backup quarterback come out for the last like I don't know, like two, three, four minutes or whatever, it was like, You're just dang, that was crazy.
Speaker 2: That might have been the earliest gatorade bath in Super Bowl history. Can we check? Yeah, I'm sure I'm gonna guess just under three minutes to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got it at two fifty two to two.
Speaker 2: Geez. Did the Buffalo Bills have a bad night last night? I think they had a good night last night.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean it seemed pretty clear that right. Well, I don't know if clear is the right word, but sure felt like they would have given more, given it more of a game.
Speaker 2: They would they wouldn't have beaten the Eagles. Eagles were the best team.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they would have beaten them, but if maybe they would have been more competitive.
Speaker 2: I think I don't Yeah, that wouldn't have been difficult, I don't think, but yeah, I mean Kansas City got humbled embarrassed, So we can assume Buffalo would be a little more competitive, I guess, and they maybe maybe they're going to run the ball a little bit more. That's what was surprising. And the best runner on the field last night was Jalen Hurts. He had a couple that were just daggers. Yeah, he rushes for who would have thought. I don't know what the prop bet would have been that Jalen Hurts would outrun out yardage Saquon Barclay, but he did last night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, I saw some of the betting trackers right before kickoff and a lot of the money was on the Saquon over. People were caught up in it. Yeah, Saquon over under. A lot of the money was on Saquon over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. All right, so that's the pole question for hour two. Todd, who had the worst night last night? In your opinion?
Speaker 6: I think Patrick Mahomes had the worst night, especially if he's got you got I've been the first quarterback to have a three peetz. He's chasing the goat and that just kind of knocked him out a few pegs there to be three and two and he's chasing seven and three.
Speaker 7: So that's that's the first thing that came to mind.
Speaker 2: For me, seating. What about you who had the worst night? If I'm talking in a football sense, I think it was Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Okay, if I think if I'm talking just generally like wise, it's Drake.
Speaker 2: Not even close. Not even close, boy, that dude. He I mean you thought that Mahomes was under pressure all night, under duress. My goodness, that's Drake for the last year. Feels like, yes, Marvin, how about you who had the worst night?
Speaker 4: I agree completely with Seaton sentiment. Football wise, I think this was Mahomes. This is a version of a Lebron in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh when he lost to the Mavericks. Correct. Oh, where this is.
Speaker 4: If there's ever a conversation, somebody's gonna bring this game up, like when people say Lebron versus Jordan, people bring up twenty eleven. Even Nick Right, who loves Lebron, brings up twenty eleven. That's the one bad mark on his resume.
Speaker 2: We did invite Nick Wright to join us, but he said, look, I got to do my show, and I don't blame him, like his thoughts should be on his show first and then maybe will have him on tomorrow. But yeah, he got roughed up, he got hey, he walked a walk, he was talking to talk, but they didn't back him up. They left him hanging there. And even when you look at that final score, I mean, it wasn't even close to that. It wasn't anywhere near that. And you know, we've gotten to the point where the Super Bowls aren't blowouts. They haven't been blowouts, but there have been two blowouts recently and they're both with the Kansas City Chiefs Tampa and then last night. Yes, Paul, it's Mahomes who lost last night.
Speaker 5: He's the biggest loser last night because he lost the air of invincibility last night. He lost the well, I can't bet against Mahomes. That's gone for the near future. It's not apples and oranges. Remember when Ronda Rousey got knocked out by Holly Holm. Yeah, no one saw that coming. That was a knockout. That was a burst the bubble. Mike Tyson getting knocked out, it's like the bubble was burst. Clearly he could win the Super Bowl next year and this could be a not an important conversation, but right now he's not at all in his own category anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was removed, I think, but you kept waiting. I just kept waiting for like, what are you guys doing? Like can you figure this out? They're not even blitzing and you couldn't do anything with it, Like that's the ultimate. We didn't need to do anything, you know, special, We're just coming. We're just like Tampa did. We're coming after you. And I don't care who the quarterback is. If you don't block those guys, you are going to be average. And that's what Patrick Mahomes was last night, average at best. And Kansas City did a wonderful job shutting down Saquon Barclay. It's just they didn't shut down Jalen Hurts. They wanted Jalen Hurts to beat him, and he did exactly that. Kyle in Vegas, Hi, Kyle, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: What's up?
Speaker 9: DP six three to twenty two? And just celebrated the birthday last weekend on that god awful Pro Bowl whatever they call that nowadays.
Speaker 10: It's just the fun Bowl.
Speaker 9: Biggest loser of the weekend, Patrick Mahomes clan like Sam Donald okay, and also got a fun fact for you. The Eagles almost almost set the Super Bowl sack record from two three years ago with the Rams versus the Bengals with seven sacks. They could have did that last night had they got one more two more sacks on them.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 9: He also almost threw four picks, you know, so he got kind of lucky on that. The biggest winners the NFC and totality the NFC. Everybody in the league is super happy right now, including myself.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 9: Big Another biggest winner of the weekend Vegas oddmakers. They won so much money last night with all these people betting on Kansas City. HEAs a week biggest loser of the weekend. Nick Wright. Not only did your not only did your Lakers kid ever send it with with Mark Williams trade, But yeah, I have to sit there and endure that beating that Kansas City took. So that's my take on it, Fellas. I enjoy the show every morning. Love you guys, keep up the great work.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Kyle. I wouldn't say the NFC is celebrating if I'm the NFC. It's like, damn it's going to be tough going through Philadelphia. That team is built and it's here and it's going to be here. They're young, got most of the players signed up, and for the most part, you're looking at if we do have another dynasty or dynasty in the making, and I think it's a dynasty in the making. I mean, let's be fair too, though a couple of years ago in the Super Bowl, could have easily have won that. Although when you you get rid of coordinators and the coach, it felt like was on the if not the hot seat, at least it was warm. You didn't know if there was a disconnect between the quarterback and the coach. Even last night A J. Brown was saying something to Nick serri like it. I don't know. Maybe that's just who they are. Maybe it's just we might not all get along all the time, but this is who we are. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Do you have the Lions still on the same level as the Eagles going into next season?
Speaker 2: No? Not right now. If they're healthy, they're in the community. I mean, Philadelphia was a great team this year. Really, they were great team. Cody in Texas, Hi, Cody, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey? Good morning. Dan.
Speaker 10: Hey, you know you make a great point, especially with Philadelphia. You know, Philadelphia was a solid team last season and then the will swell off. So I mean, really, you're looking at a team that's been pretty solid for the past three seasons the worst of the week that it's Patrick Mahomes. I mean, he's he's no longer in the goat conversation. I mean, he's the lebron of the NFL. Brady's the Jordan and I mean he would have to you know, he just looked amateur last night. I wanted to tell you guys, great job last week. Super Bowl covered was great. Thank you for everything y'all do.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Cody. Okay, I want to put this in perspective because it's recency biased. With Mahomes losing in the way he lost. Brady went ten years without winning a Super Bowl, lost a couple of them. So let's not write off Patrick Mahomes as potentially the greatest quarterback of all time. Did he get humbled? Yes? Has he been humbled twice in the Super Bowl Yes? Does he have a ways to go? I mean, you had people who joined us in New Orleans who were telling you, telling me that Mahomes wins this. Now the goat conversation is over. RG three joined us because he was doing something that Tom never did. He three peeded and I went, that doesn't make him the goat. That makes him a quarterback who has done what no other quarterback is done. Great can't argue with that. That's dominance, that's greatness, consistency, playing in elite, all those things. But he didn't get that. So now we can camp down the goat conversation for a little while. Let's see what Mahomes does over the next five years. Kelsey's going to retire. How long is Andy Reid going to be there? They do have a great front office. They have still that formula. They have the nucleus because of the coach and the quarterback. But you can't rely on Travis Kelce anymore. Not you know, it's not even like Gronk Gronk. They just said, you know what, just join us in the Super Bowl and score a couple of touchdowns. Travis Kelce, He's got so many things that are available to him. Does he continue to do it? Does he do it one more year? Now? This is what athletes always say. I don't want to go out like that. Okay, but had he won, I don't think he was going to go out that way either. Yes, Ton and the divis.
Speaker 7: Has gotten better in the conference as a whole.
Speaker 6: There's several teams floating around that are inching closer to getting after what the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Have spoken like a true broncos A bit. That's okay, that's okay. We'll take a break. We'll talk to Devin mccordy, former Patriot defenship back. He'll join us after this on the Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kvin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I got some friends who are all fired up about why is this even a debate Brady versus Mahomes. I'm only telling you what people said to me at the Super Bowl that when when Mahomes wins and has a three peat, that's something that Tom never had. And as a couple of my friends who've pointed out, Brady beat Mahomes head to head twice, once in an AFC title game, once in a Super Bowl. Jordan and Lebron never faced each other, not to mention that Tom still has seven Super Bowls he was in ten. But man, we want to do fast track. Mahomes is the greatest of all time. Now, I did say the way he played, when he plays at his best, that's better than Brady playing at his best in my opinion. Doesn't mean he's a better quarterback. Brady is still a better quarterback, better resume. But when I watched Mahomes play, and you know, I put him in the category with Tom. Game on the line, it's over when he has the ball. I mean that that kind of confidence. Now, did that go away last night? It did, at least temporarily it did. Yeah, Palling, you know we did this.
Speaker 5: You did this years ago on this show back at ESPN. Tom Brady won Super Bowls in one, three, four. I can remember you and the guys being on air before any of us were on air, and you're discussing how close is Tom Brady to catching Joe Montana before thirty And then that story went away for years and years and years and Joe's safe, Joe safe until he wasn't. And that was a ten year game. Yeah, like you said, but it's flexible, it flows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think Mahomes is going to fall off a cliff. They ran into a better team. All of this offense that the NFL wants, what did it come down to? Defense? I say it every year you have to have a moment where you stop somebody, you know, and the case last night it was they stopped them just about every moment they dominated. That was something out of the eighty five Bears or the Steel Curtain where the Ravens when they shut down the Giant like you were seeing a team truly dominate and impose its will. And the Eagles did that last night. They didn't need much offense because the defense was wonderful. You know, you get a pick six, you got a strip sack, you got another interception in there. They moms didn't have any opportunities to do anything. Yes, Mormon, And to your point, I don't think it was the loss that hurts.
Speaker 4: I think it was the Chiefs getting obsolutely Mollywatt that's going to hurt them or hurt him.
Speaker 2: As far as legacy talk, Yeah, because Brady never got blown out. I mean they are always close, but he did run into great defense with the Giants. I mean they shut him down. Devin mccordy, NBC Football Night in America, analyst, three time Super Bowl champ with the Patriots. He was doing pregame halftime postgame last night for west Wood One. When did you realize this probably wasn't going to go as scripted for the Chiefs.
Speaker 13: For me, it was over with Zach Ball got that interception right before the half. There was a chance you climbed back in the game. It would have been a hard task, but once he got that interception right before the half, I thought that ruined it.
Speaker 7: The Chiefs were going to have a chance.
Speaker 13: To go there score and then get the ball after halftime and try to go score again. That could have changed the game, but I thought that interception kind.
Speaker 7: Of sealed it.
Speaker 2: Help me understand this as a former defensive back. Let's say you were getting ready for this Super Bowl and all of a sudden, your defensive coordinator says, we're not blitzing at all tonight.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was the decision pregame, but they weren't going to blitz Patrick Mahomes. They had that much confidence. I mean, it sounds crazy though, but they didn't need to blitz him.
Speaker 13: Why For me, it doesn't sound great because we played in Super Bowl fifty three where that year, playing against the Rams, we were a heavy man to man blitzing, and we came in and they were like, Hey, not only are we not going to blitz a lot, we're not even going to play that much man and man off first a second down. We're going to give them a totally different game plan and if we execute it, they're going to struggle with it.
Speaker 7: And that's what we did. Now.
Speaker 13: I think Philly might have thought about throwing it, but once the game started and they saw what they were doing up front, it was like, why would we even think about calling a blitz. They can't handle anything we're doing with just our rotational four man rush.
Speaker 2: What should they have done?
Speaker 13: I thought Kansas City at some point they didn't run the ball early in the game, and I know it was tough, but Saquon didn't run the ball particularly well, but they kept running it, and then I thought, you had to get to your quick passing game, and they never did that.
Speaker 7: They did a little bit of it.
Speaker 13: In the second half where they threw some passes, you know, very quick and trying to break a tackle.
Speaker 7: Philadelphia did do a good job tackling after the catch.
Speaker 13: But I thought that was the biggest issue with Mahomes and the Chiefs, that there was no adjustment, Like you can't sit back there in the pocket and do what you normally do holding the ball, moving up, finding exits and then going making places. They took that away and they just kept doing the same thing getting stopped.
Speaker 7: I thought they never truly tried to adjust.
Speaker 2: Now, I know Mahomes is going to get a lot of criticism. Really it's the offensive line, and I don't think Andy Reid had a good game last night when you think about adjustments. As much credit as we want to give Andy, and he's one of the great coaches of all time, we got to be fair in distributing, you know, criticism, the line good. Mahomes as a result was not good. Game plan not good. That's what surprised me more than anything. I thought when they came out halftime, and I agree with you, I thought they'll score touchdown, will be seventeen to seven, gw into halftime, come out and make adjustments. You get the ball first. Now we got ourselves a game and it never happened. That's what surprised me the most.
Speaker 7: Exactly, and it was across the board, even on defense.
Speaker 13: And I know they did a good job of Saquon Barkley, but it also was like, well, the game has kind of defined itself that just stopping Saquon Barkley's not going to change the outcome of his game. And still it didn't seem like they ever try to confuse Jella Hurst give him something different. They did a good job with, you know, Devonte Smith, a ton of motion in early in the play to see if it was man ors all, put him into the short side of the field, just a lot of different things Philly did that I never thought Kansas City did on offense or defense to try to make it.
Speaker 7: Harder, to give him something new to deal with.
Speaker 13: It was almost like it was almost like they thought the same way we thought the way the game was going, like hey, this is just not our year, this is not the game for us tonight.
Speaker 2: And also it felt like this whole week in New Orleans that there were a lot of analysts who were ready to get Mahomes at least right there with Tom or to label him the greatest of all time because he was going to repeat Tom's legacy is probably still pretty good right now, would you say?
Speaker 13: I would say, and I know it's fresh in our minds right now, but to lose the way that they did, and for that to be the second time on the Super Bowl scene, a huge game, to go out there and really just get destroyed, I just don't think it was a good look. And we can't take away. Look, they went back to the Super Bowl three years in a row. Tom was able to do that too, He won two of them. They won two of them, so it's still something for them. But the way they lost, why it's like fresh in our minds, was just don't see the Brady and the Patriots team.
Speaker 7: They never lost that way.
Speaker 13: They might not have got there, which I think that you could argue about that, but once they got there. You just never saw a game where you know, midway through the first quarter, second quarter of the game, we're like, well, this one's just gone.
Speaker 7: At some point. They always were able to rally.
Speaker 2: He's Devin mccordy won three Super Bowls with the Patriots. He works for NBC Football Night in America. I did think about this last night, and I haven't thought about this in a long time. Might have been the first time I thought of they really missed Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 13: Yes, there's no doubt because and you know you could throw in Roschie Rice that we kept.
Speaker 7: Saying, you know, on this Kansas City team, there's a lot of holes. I don't really like this.
Speaker 13: I don't really And it was like they would play the game and you would be like, somehow they make it a game, somehow.
Speaker 7: They figure out how to go. And Philadelphia was the.
Speaker 13: First team to say, you don't have receivers that can get open fast on us, you don't have the offensive line that can stop us, We're gonna go exploit it and destroy it.
Speaker 7: And that's what they did. But Kansas City's credit is.
Speaker 13: They were outmanned in a lot of games this year and it never really showed up because of, like you said, the good game planning by Spagnola and Andy Reid today last night was simply, we have better players than you and we're gonna show that for four quarters.
Speaker 2: How should we look at Jalen Hurts if we do look at him differently after last night.
Speaker 13: For me, personally, I still would put him behind those top four guys in Mahomes Josh Allen, Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson. But we often also recognize this. Two times Jalen Hurst has been on this stage in the Super Bowl, he's been spectacular and outplayed Patrick Mahomes, the guy of this error, who we say is the goat every single time the two times that he's outplayed him. So a ton of credit has to go to Jaalen Hurst. He has to be a guy that needs to be mentioned year in and year out. He's gonna be in this game or have a shot to be in this game because he's proven that with this team, and if he gets there, he's gonna be a hard out for whoever has to play him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going to be here. I mean, they're if you're an NFC team, you're probably going damn. They're going to be great. Should be great for a couple of years now. Now these windows close, just as the forty nine ers, It closes quickly here, but they're set up. They're set up for success for another couple of years. It feels like.
Speaker 7: Nixt Sirianne felt it.
Speaker 13: You know, he got up there after the game and he said, Hey, Kelln, let's run this black and and like that was the message of I know your name is being mentioned and I know it looks like, because this has gone off.
Speaker 7: For so long, you're heading to New Orleans.
Speaker 13: But after being in that environment, he's like, what are you thinking right now? Let's run this back, Let's do this again next year. Everything they're saying about the Chiefs that could be us in the next four to five years because they have that kind of talent and a lot of young players. But you also got to figure out your cap As you keep winning, guys getting new opportunities, Guys want to leave, coaches want to leave, so they have to figure.
Speaker 7: That out if they want to be back in the games.
Speaker 2: Did you see coach Belichick in New Orleans.
Speaker 7: I didn't get a chance to see him.
Speaker 13: I saw his guy Burrs from New England us to see all the time back in Newing, but I didn't get a chance to run into him there.
Speaker 2: He had all of his rings on, Like who is this Bill Belichick?
Speaker 13: Now, sometimes you got to step out of remind people who you are, put all the rings on, hit the red carpet, do your thing.
Speaker 7: That's what That's what coach had to do.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks again for joining us all season long. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 7: No problem man, good to see Thank you.
Speaker 2: Devin Devin mccordy, NBC Football Night in America, analyst won three Super Bowls there in New England. Yeah, Belichick stepping out, got his girlfriend with him, got he had his rings on, and she had one of her rings his rings on, Like all right, all right, you you go, Bill, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Paully, I know Coach Belichick's not I'm you know, flying coach. He's on his own private Jetpin you carry the rings with you to New Orleans and that's when you be nervous. Yeah, would you have them on your body the whole time? Would you leave them in.
Speaker 2: A safe No? I wouldn't bring them. He did the I mean he hit all of them. Sean McVay had his on yesterday on the Fox set. They're just they look so gaudy, so cheesy. And that's why when we came up with the idea of a ring within the ring, so you could wear it out almost like your high school class ring, so you could just say and somebody go, oh, what's that. Oh that's the smaller super Bowl ring. But the thing that Sean McVay had it looked like he had an egg on his finger. I mean it was huge. You can't wear those things out, yeah, Pauline. Now I really want to know.
Speaker 5: Let's say Belichick's going out to eat, just as the week's going along. Does he leave them in the hotel safe like that little one that's in the closet.
Speaker 2: I think he leaves it at the hotel hotel saye the big one. Yes, yeah, But I wouldn't be taking those things out yeh see.
Speaker 3: I think if you're a guy like Bill Belichick, you only take them out for special occasions. If you're like a random spe special teamer, yeah who nobody really knows, but you're like, hell yeah, I got that ring, you might wear it out casually much more often.
Speaker 2: I was watching Sports Center on Sunday, I think it was Sunday and now maybe it was Friday night. Friday Night from the French Quarter Kevin de Gandhi, and there was a guy that kept panning to who was just there in the audience, and he had a Super Bowl ring. I don't know if he played. I don't know if anybody said, hey, why don't we ask that guy? Did you play? Like who are you? But he had a Super Bowl ring. I didn't recognize him, but he was there with this huge Super Bowl ring Jay in West Virginia. Jay, what's on your mind today? Best and worst of the weekend?
Speaker 13: Hi?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 2: How are you doing great? Jay?
Speaker 8: Real quick? I just want to say, it was really cool to meet you guys last week in New Orleans. It was pretty awesome. It was like meeting rock stars. So I do appreciate that. Best of the weekend was more going to New Orleans as the new head coach. It's their second Dallas Cowboys qv coach to cutting New Orleans. So my worst of the weekend was please so I tell Victor Weinbery Alma to stop shooting a three ten tons a night. It's just I think it blew two games against you know, against two very mediocre teams.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I think he's taken about nine a game. I think they're okay with that. Uh.
Speaker 11: Chuck in Queens, Hi, Chuck? Hey, Dan Dennett, how are you great? Leg you made home safely. I have my worth of the weekend, and then I'll give you my best. The worst of the weekend is Nico Harrison. I what a debut by Anthony Davis.
Speaker 15: And then he goes down for a month with an injury in the first game at his new team. I think that was literally atrocious, especially on the heels of tonight being Luca's debut with the Laker, and it's being shown everywhere on every single network at AESPN and ABC owned they're showing that. So Nico Harrison had the worst weekend in my opinion, and the best weekend was my Saint John's and my pie winning back.
Speaker 2: Whoa Marvin, That's right, Marvin.
Speaker 15: We won in the Excel Center. We are now the favorites to win the Big East and the Big East postseason tournament, and we are in the top ten for the first time in thirty plus years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I covered that Saint John's team when they were in the top ten last time. Uh Rick, Bettino, Marvin, you lost a pie, bet I did. That was a great performance. I didn't realize they were that good and they've only lost once in conference play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's they asked him, what do you feel about that loss? He's like, I'm shocked that we lost that one. They are good.
Speaker 2: He had some colorful language, but you know what, he's an incredible coach. Unbelievable he is. He is. There's a lot of things that you might say about Rick Pattino. But the one thing you must say is he's one of the greatest coaches basketball coaches of all time. He is he'll eventually get a team together and he'll win. And that's what he did at Saint John's. I mean he's done that every place he's gone. But you know, you get chances, I mean know, Iona, Iona, and he'll get to them to the tournament. You're like, it doesn't matter. He will out coach you at some point. And whenever I hear Iona, it always reminds me of the joke that Jim Valvano used to say, because coach Valvano was at Iona and he said that he would recruit and then you know, you know, kid would say or family would say, well, uh yeah, who are you where he goes, uh yeah, coach coach Valvano Iona College, and the like, well what college? He goes? Iona? And they go, no, what, wait, what college do you own? He goes, I know it's Iona. So they kept hearing him say I own a college. Well, good, good for you. You must be really rich. Now I coach at Iona College. All right, we'll take a break hour best and Worst of the weekend, more of your phone calls as well.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: WAP more phone calls coming up eight seven seven three DP show Keeper's Heart New and Unique style of Whiskey, Great Friends of Ours. They combined the best of Irish and American whiskies and creating a smooth character of Irish whiskey in the bold flavors of American whiskies. If you're a whiskey fan, you got to try it. Please drink responsibly. We've talked a lot about Patrick Mahomes and the performance last night and how bad is this loss. Here's Mahomes on that topic.
Speaker 14: Anytime you lose a Super Bowl, it's sort of worse thing on the world. They'll stick with you the rest of your career. I mean, these will be the two losses that will motivate me to be even better to the rest of my career, because you only get so a few of these, and you have to capitalize on these, and they hurt probably more than the wins feel good.
Speaker 2: He also talked about his costly mistakes, obviously.
Speaker 14: The turnovers, hurt, and I mean I just kind of take all the blame for that. I mean, just those early turnovers swing the momentum of the game. And then they capitalized on them and they scored. I mean they scored on them one and then they got a touchdown immediately after. So that's fourteen points that I kind of gave them, and it's hard to come back from that.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs said the second fewest rushing yards net, passing yards net total yards in the first half of any Super Bowl. Mean, when you think of the Chiefs, okay, it's not a dynamic offense, but you still think that they will move the chains, ball control, run, pass, dink dunk, little things, maybe a big play occasionally, they had nothing nothing. By the way, Jalen Hurds and Patrick Mahomes led their teams in rushing. That's never happened before in a Super Bowl where the two quarterbacks led their teams in rushing. Stead of the day, stat of the day, That stat of the day, stat of the day here comes that what stat of the brought to you by Panini America. By the way, we had a listener who said that his wife, Pandora from Vegas, she had recorded a stat of the Day song. I have not heard that yet, Marvin, is that song come in yet?
Speaker 4: I have not heard about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to encourage the audience that if you would like to send in a stat of the Day recording your version, we would be open to that. We have Darius Rutger, we have Ron Burgundy, we have a few of them. Yeah. I think it has to be an original though. It can't be a cover song. Okay, So no cover okay, all right, So if you have an original stat of the Day and you think you can sing and you want to jazz it up a little bit, we would certainly consider that. Since this is your radio show, so if you want to be part of it, we would love to hear what your interpretation would be of stat of the Day. Alrighty, best and Worst of the weekend? Todd, what do you have? Go to Danpatrick dot com, by the way, and you'll be able to get details there to send us a stat of the Day song? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, Tod.
Speaker 6: Best of the Weekend. JJ Starling scored twenty eight points and Eddie Lampkin Junior recorded a double double as Syracuse got past Boston. College ninety five eighty six Sallly in triple overtime. I watched a lot of that game.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, wait, wait, that's the what was my best.
Speaker 7: Of the weekend?
Speaker 6: If the Super Bowl was kind of a dud, I thought the commercials were not good. So I'm gonna go with a triple overtime game that I was watching between.
Speaker 2: Circus bo okay, alrighty.
Speaker 7: And I watched very little basketball. Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: Debuting with his new MAVs team Saturady afternoon, Anthony Davis had twenty four points, thirteen boards, five assist, three blocks in the first half wirst of the Rockets, but had to leave the game in the third quarter with a growing quad injury, now known as an adductor strain.
Speaker 7: He could miss several weeks.
Speaker 2: I know, unbelievable. I'm watching. I'm like, Golee, looks great. I turn off that, I watch a little golf. I turn back, and then Anthony Davis holding himself. I go, oh, no, no. And then Luca makes his debut. I guess tonight against Utah. ESPN kept going, we're gonna have that debut. We're gonna give up a game on Friday. We're gonna have it Saturday, always not playing, Lebron's not playing either, so they're finally gonna get Luca's debut. Seat invested.
Speaker 3: Worst of the weekend, My best of the weekend dan FA Cup. This weekend, Liverpool, who are currently first in the Premier League and argue the best team in the world right now. They lost to a team called Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup and Plymouth Argyle are currently last in the Championship, so they're probably gonna get relegated from the second tier down to the third tier. But beating Liverpool was just a massive, massive upset. Now, Granny, it wasn't the like full Liverpool squad with like most solid all these guys, but still it's Liverpool and that's just a massive upset.
Speaker 2: So that was a lot of fun to watch. PAULI has Plymouth Argyle. Don't you worry that? Ah? I love those socks. Yeah, And your worst of the weekend SEO Worst of.
Speaker 3: The weekend was DeAndre Hopkins, not because of his performance necessarily, but because it just felt like a big moment for a guy who really I think earned it, you know, a Super Bowl appearance and to be on a big stage It's felt like a chance for him to do something great, and I was just bummed to see it not really work out for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I dropped a pass. Yeah, Marvin.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend DeVante Smith. First player and first player drafted out of Alabama to score a touchdown into Super Bowl ever, and then the fifth player to win a Heisman National title in a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: So good night for him. Wait, he's the first Alabama player to score a touchdown, first.
Speaker 4: Player drafted out of Alabama, and people kept saying Jalen Hurts. He was drafted out of Oklahoma. So first player ever drafted out of Oaklhoma out of Alabama. Excuse me to score a touchdown in Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Dang all right, I'm gonna give you a blue bloop on that. Paul Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 5: People are gonna forget about it because it's the first quarter. But that call of offensive pass interference against AJ Brown the Eagles in the first quarter, I was like, Oh, it's going to be a ref night. The refs are going to be the star. It didn't work out that way. The refs had a decent night, but that was a horrible call. Let him play a little bit best of the weekend. This is not just pandering New Orleans as a super Bowl city. I would be in favor of rotating New Orleans every four to five years as a super Bowl city. Total bill, fort nightlife, spread out city, convention center, whether everything is ready for it. They know what they're doing down there, They really know what they're doing. Make them every four or five years and rotate other cities.
Speaker 2: And I want to give credit to Tom Brady from this angle. There are a couple of times that he disagreed with the officiating Mike Pereira, and so he was like, no, no, you got to let him play. And I like that he was disagreeing with that instead of sort of that blanket approval that whatever Mike Pereira says, Tom was pushing back on and I like that. All right, we'll get some more phone calls coming up next hour. We'll talk to Lewis Riddick of the mother Ship. Let's see anything else that needs to be I have a lot of stats of the day too. We'll hear from Andy Reid coming up next hour. Mahomes first half passer rating was ten. The last time you had something that bad, Rich Gannon in Super Bowl thirty seven when Tampa Bay roughed up the uh the Raiders there, yees now, stell of a day.
Speaker 1: Start of a day.
Speaker 2: Start out a day, scout out a day. This is the start of the day. By the way, that's the first game that Patrick Mahomes has been sacked six or more times and had three or more giveaways. Last time that happened in the Super Bowl. Cam Newton in Super Bowl fifty against the Broncos. Right Ton, that's correct, Thank you, Tom Miller. Baby alrighty, final hour on the way, more phone calls Minister of Humor Seaton mar Paula, yours truly or back after this