Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today again. I'm Isabell Lee with Alexis. Christopher is sitting in for Carol Masser and Tim Stenevik, and we are joined by Bloomberg News Equities reporter Avalon Parnell. So thank you for joining us here in the studio. Avalon, what are you looking at?
Speaker 3: I think Alta, Yes, Alta Beauty that's ticker Alta currently down about five point three percent most intra day since March, and that's after the beauty retailer's outlook implied a slightly weaker than expected second half of the year. Jeffrey's writing that the conservative setup could leave room for upside as management remains cautious, especially as the war and Iran continues.
Speaker 1: You know, Alexis, I don't know if I should admit this, but I've never been to an Alta. Yeah, kind, I just always today towards Sephora.
Speaker 4: We I don't know, well, you know, Sophora is right across from most of your investry in Midtown, but there are quite a few Altars a lot, yes, and that both stores have a different vibe, I must say. But I have to say, though avalon Altas report, I mean, all the fundamentals that you want to see were there. So I'm a little surprised the stock is selling off the way that it is today.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're absolutely right. It is also important to point out that May tends to be a down month, and so that's just what happens in the industry, whether you're a Sephora, whether you're Alta, and so some analysts did also point out to that that people are expecting it to be slightly lower at least for this month.
Speaker 4: All right, you know what it is is these companies have such high bars that they must now you know, jump over that is getting harder and harder to sort of beat on the high end of the of the estimates. All right, let's move on to Game Stop a winner today and a huge buyback.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's ticker GME talking about something that is slightly MEMI currently rising about nearly seven percent now most inter day in a month, and that's aten a video game retailer reported its highest profit ever selling more collectible items, and also mention that Pokemon cards those action figures are actually playing a slightly bigger role than the video games now since people are kind of going more towards online to buy those things. And also, as you mentioned, the board did okay a two billion dollar buy back? Wow?
Speaker 4: Talking about confidence in your own stock? I yes, But are game stop stores still around? There used to be one not too far from me. They closed up, So are they moving more towards digital?
Speaker 3: They still have a couple of stores. I actually one of my coworkers he just bought like a Pokemon thing.
Speaker 1: Really, I feel like GameStop just never leaves the headlines, like it just I guess it's what's meme stage?
Speaker 4: Because remember when this was, you know, sort of almost the poster trial for meme stock.
Speaker 1: Me me as as you said, I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it also tried to buy eBay, So yes, I feel like it still has to be kind of in the meme sphere when you're trying to buy such a big company.
Speaker 1: I know. I mean they're climbing really a lot higher today, So I'm grateful you talked about that stock. What about Medtronic, I think that's a medical devices maker.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's ticker MDT, currently gaining about five point five percent, one of the top gainers on the S and P five hundred today and up most inter day since last November. That's after the medical device is maker reported revenue for the fourth quarter. That's past expectations. There's a lot of really great notes out Needum writing that those new products that they had this past quarter really drove metronics strongest organic growth in a decade.
Speaker 4: All right, well, you know, I just want to get back to GameStop for a minute, because do they I'm just looking this up right now. Do they sell those Magic Gathering Magic the Gathering cards.
Speaker 1: That's a huge I don't know.
Speaker 4: Magic the Gathering cards. That's a huge thing too. And I have to think that that's also adding to this Pokemon which seems to be a resurgence for Pokemon.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I would say anything retro at this point very much something that people are going for.
Speaker 1: I grew up playing with Pokemons, even watching it or having the cards. My favorite was jigle Puff because she's pink and that is my favorite color. And I'm memris. All one hundred and fifty plus characters so I thought that was behind me. But then my brothers now it's all one hundred and fifty characters. I think so. But then my brother now loves Pokemon again, and he's going to our attic and getting the old cards and he said that they're valuable.
Speaker 4: Right, they are valuable, aren't they They are They're going. They're going for a lot of money, I guess on on eBay. And you know, you have to wonder when game Stop CEO talked about wanting to buy eBay, a much larger company than GameStop in terms of market cap, sort of came out of nowhere. But did it do what he intended, which is get game Stop back into the zeitgeist?
Speaker 3: I mean Twitter would say yeaes sir sorry, formerly known as Twitter.
Speaker 1: X would say yes.
Speaker 2: The Stock Mover's Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Busines in this app. MHM