Speaker 1: Hey, brain stuff listeners. Today, instead of a regular old episode, we've got another preview of the long running podcast On the Job. For this mini series, we've teamed up with them to bring you a few samples of what they do, which is engaged with professionals from all kinds of businesses about what they do from publishing stem based comic books to catering comfort food to underserved populations. Through these stories, the team tries to help explain and explore different aspects of what working means in our world today. They're sponsoring us to run these episodes. I think it's a good fit because it's a look into how different jobs work. Today's episode is about a guy who was inspired to engineer his own portable wood fired pizza ovens and build a business around them. This is going to be our last preview for a few weeks, but we'll have more for you next month, and if you want to keep listening or explore their previous six seasons, you can find On the Job from Express Employment Services wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful day here in Lano, Texas. The birdies are chirping, the wildflowers are in bloom, and It's Day three of the Lano Earth Art Festival. But I'm not here for the music or the World Championship Rock Stack in competition, although I will definitely be checking that out.
Speaker 3: Look at that pipe.
Speaker 2: I'm here to get some pizza, all right, man. But as you're about to hear, this isn't your run of the milk pizza.
Speaker 3: My name is Jake Wright. I am the owner of Oh My Pizza Pie, a mobile wood fired pizza business. I'm based in San Marcus, Texas, but we sling pizzas all across Texas.
Speaker 2: All Jake Wright never planned to be a pizza man, but as you're about to hear, life had other designs to understand, and that though, we need to take a look back, way back. Jake's childhood was one filled with music. His mom was a music teacher, and he and his siblings played instruments. His was the type of family that had lugged their guitarist to church on Sunday, and it wasn't uncommon to have a family sing along in the evenings. So when it came that time at the end of high school to start making a plan for his future, Jake did what many of us do. He tried to turn his passion into a career. For Jake, this meant enrolling at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, a highly regarded school in the music industry, with the hopes of one day becoming a producer. Only when Jake got there, he found that the music industry wasn't all kumbayas around the fire. What about school?
Speaker 3: Didn't you like most of it? I didn't realize how competitive it is, and I learned that I crumble under competition. It's a very competitive INDI the studio work for music.
Speaker 2: Jake then did another thing that many of us do when we're not entirely sure if we're on the right path. He went abroad, which is how Jake wound up on farms in Germany doing things he'd never expected to do. So you're in Germany, you see this oven, and you get inspired, and you think, I'm gonna go back to Texas and I'm gonna make an oven.
Speaker 3: Yeah. After I learned to bake in that oven, I decided to build one.
Speaker 2: As Jake saw it, he wasn't just building an oven. He was building himself a job. And the job he came up with was to make pizzas would find pizzas.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Brushing the fireback?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and brushing the ashes out of the way so we don't get ashy pizzas.
Speaker 3: And then I need to add a log because it's looking a little low. I gotta keep him blazing.
Speaker 2: And with his background in music, Jake got the clever idea to put his pizza oven on wheels and then drive it around into music festivals and other live events all over his home state of Texas. Since that first weekend of selling pizzas with his dad in West Texas, Jake Rank has spent the last twelve years rambling all over the lone Star state with his wood fired pizza oven in tow And though Jake didn't live out his childhood fantasy of getting into the music industry, one of the plus sides of being a mobile pizza slinger is he gets to listen to live music almost every night. That good. What time does the band come on tonight?
Speaker 4: The band comes on at eight tonight.
Speaker 2: You're looking forward to it? Yes, I think you'll be able to step away and go check them out for a minute for.
Speaker 3: A few songs. And there's also.
Speaker 4: Friday and Saturday night there's right over there in the alley. A few years ago they started Shakedown Street and it's sort of grateful Dead themes, and there's got a great band that plays in there. It's really small. It's like thirty fee by thirty feet. It's packing people.
Speaker 2: It's very fun for on the job. I'm Arey Thompson Tracy.
Speaker 3: Okay, so my voice is cracking. I'm older than fifteen.
Speaker 4: I've just been talking over music all day.
Speaker 5: A strong work ethic takes pride in a job well done. This is the kind of person you need. Express Employment professionals can help because in good times or bad, we understand how critical it is to manage your business for today with the right workforce. We offer hiring solutions to fit changing demands. Express knows Jobs. Get to know Express go to expresspros dot com. Find a location near you.