Speaker 1: Every day I wake up, I'm one day closer to death. So what you're gonna do with the time you got left?
Speaker 2: Big Time Brand nominee Big Shan.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest blessings is going through a time where you are feeling at your lowest or depressed or whatever the feeling is, because that is just confirmation that you're not in alignment and that you're meant for something different, something greater.
Speaker 3: What's the difference between attracting energy and chasing energy?
Speaker 2: Oh boy? The number one health and wellness podcast.
Speaker 3: Jay Setty Jay Shetty. Hey everyone, welcome back to On Purpose, the place you come to become a happier, healthier and more healed. Three things that are so important to the human condition. Today's guest is on for not the first, not the second, but a third time special. One of your favorite guests, one of your favorite interactions. We both hear about it all the time. I'm talking about my dear friend and incredible artist, Big Sean, Grammy nominated rapper songwriter, friend of the podcast, and now a first time author. His new book is called Go Higher, The Five Practices for Purpose, Success and Inner Piece, which combines his insights on self care with actionable Tools, set to release in January twenty twenty five. Now, despite his achievements, he has been open about his struggles with anxiety and depression, turning to spiritual practices to find balance. Through his music and now he's writing Big Sean inspires others to overcome their own challenges and reach their fullest potential. Please welcome my dear friend, someone that I believe is so inspiring, deeply insightful, philosophical, a guide, the teacher and leader, Big.
Speaker 2: Sean man other. Thank you for having me. You know. First of all, I just got to say, j though, I'm so proud.
Speaker 1: Of you man, even since our first interview, Like, of course you did you spark the idea of me writing a book, But I'm not making it about me.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: You've interviewed the President. Man, You've like you have gone to the moon and back. There was a part of the book where I said, like the mental health space, and you know, like that that space is dominated by a certain crowd. Bro, you are dominating this space, and I just got to say it's it's deeper than that. It's wellness, it's all of it. And I just got to say I'm super proud of you, man, like, very very proud of you. I know, like where you come from, I know your journey, I know how you grew up, you know, I know the household you came from. And I just got to say, man, I'm very proud of you, and I see, I see like so much for you, and you're still so young and you still so have so much to offer.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much, man, oh man.
Speaker 3: Is mutual, And honestly, it was people like yourself who came on the show so early and trusted the space opened up and made it a safe space for so many that followed you as well. And so I have to give you a lot of credit back because you came on the show when it was so much smaller, we were starting out. But it was people like yourself who trusted me, trusted the space, and were able to create it.
Speaker 2: And look at this, Come.
Speaker 3: On, yeah, that's rather He's genius. She's super smart when it comes to figuring out how to help people. But no, I'm so proud of you for putting this book together because when I met you, I noticed very quickly that you were already a philosopher, and that was rare. Most people live life and then gain wisdom. And you, through your mother, through your own learnings, through your own curiosity, had so much insight and wisdom when we met. And I remember mentioning like, oh one day and the fact that we're sitting here with the book.
Speaker 2: And a h yeah, yeah, yeah, going it's.
Speaker 3: Pretty special and you reminding people to go higher is so powerful. But let's dive in because I'm sure you were gonna say something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was just saying like, yeah, you really gave me the confidence.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: As soon as the cameras cut off, you were like, yo, you got to write a book, you know, And I was like, wow, I didn't write it for any like vanity purpose. I didn't write it for like a oh it's that time for me to write a book. I literally wrote it because it was pouring out of me really essentially, you know what I mean. And it was like, there are so many people who like trying to figure out how to get to how to just maneuver through life. And I've dealt with my like ups and downs and maneuver through things. So it's just like sharing always can help somebody. You never know how you're impacting somebody. How you can change somebody's whole trajectory. You know, I was lucky enough to have these like guardian angels in the form of like my mom, or the form of my family members, or in a form of friends or you know, The Alchemist. The book The Alchemist really taught me to pay attention to the omens you know what I'm saying, so through a song coming on through any any aspect of my life. And it was just like, you know, it was a true pleasure to be able to just put like what has worked for me in a way that can people could come back to it, that people could apply it to their lives. And you know, I've gotten a chance to not only sit and talk to you, but sit and talk to so many of other people that I respect in the wellness space and just an inspiring space, you know, from Deepok to side Guru to and just my idols, you know, growing up in music. So I apply a lot of things that I've learned into this book and hopefully it helps people.
Speaker 3: It will, it will help people for sure. I want to I want to stop asking you. You know, you've manifested success. And when I spend time with you today and I see you with Jane, and I see you talking about Noah. I also feel you've manifested happiness, and I think those two things are very different, and so I wanted to ask you what's been different about manifesting success Korea profession and then manifesting happiness.
Speaker 1: One of the things about success is you have to define what your idea of success is.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't think if, like, say, somebody had a billion dollars, I wouldn't say that he's more successful than me. I would just say he has more money than me. And I think that's the power of separation. We tie so many things into definition, right Success to me is a feeling of it's an emotion. It's something that when your purpose is activated and you are impacting people in any way, shape or form. There's so many ways to impact people right now. There are byproducts of success, like money can be a byproduct of success. You know, when you do something and you create a supplying demand, you get paid for it. But I don't think because you make money that you're successful, you know what I'm saying, And I don't think, you know, there's a lot of things that you could tie to that. Just like I don't think just because if your life isn't going the way you are, that doesn't mean that you let that make you unhappy. Those are two separate things. That's really the power of separation. So for me, success is a feeling and it's when my purpose is activated. So I remember I did an interview and they asked, you know, successful talking about success, and I said, well, I'm not the most successful person.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: And I was like, well, maybe I am, actually because I love so many aspects of my life and I'm living in the life that I've always dreamed of. You know, times ten, I only wanted to have a song on the radio and like a platinum song, and bro, I've sold one hundred and eighty five million records or something crazy.
Speaker 2: I've like taken care of.
Speaker 1: My mom, my dad, a lot of people, and live ten lifetimes already, so everything has just been sprinkles on top. So to me, success is really activating your purpose. And happiness is something that you can choose instantly. Your happiness is something that you could choose instantly, and it's something that I learned the hard way because when I have fallen into like a dark time. You know, we all go through these ups and downs. When I've been down bad, and like, the depression comes in, the anxiety comes in, the self sabotage comes in, and you can hold onto these things and they will they will stick with you your whole life. You have to decide to let them go. And that's one of the things I talk about in the book. A lot of people may not know how to do that, and there are a lot of ways, but one of the first ways is to choose how you feel.
Speaker 2: You're in control of that.
Speaker 1: And it's easier said than done, because when things aren't going your way, you're pissed off at everybody, You're like blame and everything. Well, first of all, you have to quit blaming everything else and realize that you're a magnet. You're magnetizing your whole world to you, you know. So if that's the case, obviously you switch it to an emotion that resonates with you more of how at least how you desire to feel right, And you can choose that, and I'm telling you, your whole experience will change. So happiness is something you can choose immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one thing that stood out to me listening to you was the power of separation. I've never heard it like that before. Yeah, and I really like that term because we have to learn to separate society's views and our views. We have to learn to separate, as you said, our definition of success and other people's definition of success.
Speaker 2: And separate what you control and what you can control.
Speaker 3: And so how do we develop the power of separation? What does it take to cultivate that within ourselves to have that ability, because I feel most of us don't practice the power of separation.
Speaker 2: It's just the recognition.
Speaker 1: To me, one of the biggest blessings in your life is growing pains. One of the biggest blessings is going through a time where you are feeling at your lowest or depressed or whatever the feeling is, because that is just confirmation that you're not in alignment and that you're meant for something different, or you're meant for something more, something greater. You know, if you're satisfied with where you're at, then that just is what it is. And you know, you probably wouldn't even be depressed, but because you are, because you feel a certain way or like you're not all the way there, that is just confirmation that you are truly truly meant for more or something different. So to me, I think that when you recognize okay, you know, once you start recognizing things of that nature, you could say, okay, what's the first step of getting out of this? And so that's part of the book.
Speaker 2: I say.
Speaker 1: You know, accepting where you are. That doesn't mean you have to like you have to like stay there. That just means accepting the blessings and all the things that come along with where you are to open up space for more, and you're letting go of all the baggage that is holding the weighing you down. I used to be like that. I used to be like when things don't go my way, I'm terrible. Oh this doesn't happen the way I wanted it to or the way I saw it. You know, my whole mood is shot right, And I'm not to say that things don't affect me when they don't go my way. But I have the armor on now. I know how to deal with it. I know how to get over it and get back to it. That's how a lot of my heroes.
Speaker 2: Deal with things too. You know.
Speaker 1: When you think of like Denzel Washington, like say he has a new movie out. Say the movie does amazing and it's incredible, and he wins an oscar. Say the movie comes out and the bombs or doesn't do as well. He's not going to give up and quit. It's not going to ruin his life. He's going to move on to the next thing and use that to the power of separation. You know, that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you reminded me of. I love Denzel too, so yeah, you reminded me of.
Speaker 2: I can't speak for Denzel. That's just like an example.
Speaker 3: Yeaheah of what you're perceiving. I remember my football coach growing up gave me this piece of advice and it stayed with me ever since then. He would say to us, if you lose, cry for a night. Yeah, and he goes, if you win, celebrate for a night, but then get back to training.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: So if you lose, cry for a night, but then get back to training. And if you win, celebrate for a night and get back to training. It was always about getting back to training the next day. It was like, you can't just sit there and cry for a week or cry for a month, and you can't in the same way celebrate for a month. You can just live off your past success. That's right, get back to training. And I love that mindset.
Speaker 1: Someone was asking Kobe mindset almost right, Yeah, yeah, you know, I know you got a chance to talk to Kobe before, and I've actually got a chance to talk to him as well. And you know, he's incredible and his mindset was something that I admired so much. And I got a chance to talk to him literally a few months before he passed, and he was just telling me about how he meditates and what it does for him, right, And I just resonated with that so much. It's really it's really cool because we all are reflections of each other, not just me and you or whoever. It's like everyone that's in your vicinity and your environment is a reflection of you or a part of you, even if you like him or don't like them, you know, And it's something to recognize that we are all interconnected. After you go down to the layers of it, right, you get past the singularity of like career, the you know, family, house, this, and that, we're all you go really deep inside and we're all very similar.
Speaker 2: We're all the same, we.
Speaker 1: We have the same system of order, of operations, you know, and it's really a true testament of we all are everything physicals made of that same I don't know what you want to call it prana or love energy. And as I've gotten older in my life, I see the similarities. I have friends that are in their sixties, seventies, you know, I have friends that are all Racis and things, and I see myself in all of them, and I think that's something to recognize in such a world of separation. I know that kind of is like afar reach from talking about the interaction with Kobe, but it's just it's just crazy how in everyone that I've been meeting lately and even just from growing up that I've seen, it's like a mirror almost in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean talking about Kobe, I think what resonated to do most about him is that he was at peace in retirement, and athletes who are retiring don't always find peace because naturally it was so important to be on the field right right, and so no judgment towards anyone, but it's so hard to not be on the court anymore and not miss it and want to be there. And he had found a new purpose. And that's the most interesting thing is that you don't get to peace by pursuing it, and you don't get to peace by trying to pursue more prizes and more wins. You get to peace by finding your purpose. And that's what he did. And so I want to talk about in your book because you really give people these five practices, and I want to give people a game plan a roadmap today in our interviews so that when they read the book they can kind of connect the dots between things you've said today. And I want everyone to go out and grab a copy of the book because I really feel it simplifies. I feel like so much of this space is like mystical complex and it can take a long time. But what you've done is you've really demystified and go hire your book the pathway to get there. And I love that you start to accept because I think, even though it's a hard step, it's such an important step, this idea that your journey only begins when you accept that where you are is your starting point, that your experience have made you exactly who you're meant to be, with the skills, the talents, the gifts. So if someone's sitting and listening and going Sean, that's so hard for me to accept that I am where I need to be because my life's just been full of, you know, the worst, horrible, difficult things. How do I accept and start from there? What would you say to them?
Speaker 1: I would say that I understand some people's lives are not ideal. I'm someone who has seen that experience that can relate to that firsthand. And what I can say is that when you accept it, that doesn't mean that you are giving up. Those are two different things. Accepting it just means Okay, I'm ready to go somewhere else, and I'm thankful for all that all of this has taught me, all of this has brought me. I accept where I'm at, but I know I'm made for something else. I know I'm made to go to go higher, right, but no, but really I'm made to be somewhere else in the world, you know. And I think that until you accept that, you can't move forward because you're just in the middle of it. And I think when you accept something, that's how you get ahead of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree. I feel like it's the resistance to acceptance that blocks us exactly right. It's like when we're fighting. Yeah, when we're fighting, we're going in the opposite direction. It's like it's telling you it's going in this direction and you're trying to force it to go in the other direction. And that's what's causing tension. And accepting it means, like you said, not that you're giving up and you're like, all right, well, I just do what you want it's going. No, this is how it's flowing. Now what am I going to do?
Speaker 1: There's always a like thread of where you are to where you desire to be at matter or and what situation. There's never not a way or else you wouldn't feel it, or else you wouldn't be have a desire for it, but it wouldn't even be in your consciousness, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like I don't have a.
Speaker 1: Desire to go to Saturn because that's just not in my thing, right, But I have a desire to the things that I've had a desire to.
Speaker 2: I always knew that there was a way.
Speaker 1: So always know that no matter what opportunity you're in, against the impossible odds or against odds, you know, whatever it is, you always have your way to get to where you are. There's always a thread leading you, and there are maybe multiple threads. So never be down and out and think that it's impossible.
Speaker 2: It's really not.
Speaker 1: I mean, Mission Impossible is a movie that where he defines impossible missions, you know. But my point is is like, there's nothing that's impossible for you. It's all meant for you, and it's up to you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite quotes is, every day I wake up, I'm one day closer to death. So what you're gonna do at the time you got It's like, understand that this is our time right now, The moment is now, these moments, we only have the moment. So a lot of us live in the future and a lot of us live in the past, and that's something that we have to get out of the habit of. And I think when you accept where you are, you're kind of letting go of that and making an action plan to putting your attention on your intention. And you, of course you have an idea of where you would like to be. But God doesn't always give us what we want. God gives us what we need, and sometimes those are the same thing, and sometimes they are not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it all works out, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, for sure. What's the you know, when you're manifesting as we're talking about this, like finding your path. What's the difference between attracting energy and chasing energy?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Boy, attracting energy and chasing energy. Well, like I said, when you're chasing something, you're already implementing the energy of it away from you, you know what I mean? And I just say you can't get it. But it's a lot of effort to chase something. It's like even police on a high speed chase, it's like they might have to crash into other cars and they're chasing you. And when you attract something, it's you are using the powers that have been granted to you from God, universe, whatever you call it or believe in of it magnetizing to you and you have that power. It's been the power that's been you know, we use it on a level, on small levels every day. Even if you just set it and say, hey, I'm today, I need to take a shower. That's literally you set a goal, you did it, It's done. You can do that on the scale of anything that happens, and some things may take a lot more time than others. You know, we have these ideas and expectations we set for ourselves, but that's on us, you know, that's our ego. Sometimes that's our our you know, once in desire, in our minds, sometimes getting the best of us. And I think that things do take time, but there's always a way, and you know it's you can never count yourself out.
Speaker 3: What's been the most difficult thing you've ever had to accept?
Speaker 1: The most difficult thing that I've ever had to accept is that the things that I can't control, I used to let the things that I can't control control me. Give an example, let how someone perceives your art As an artist, like Eric Abadu says, we're emotional about our shit. You know, I think she said something like that. That never changes. But you can't control how someone perceives you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: All you can do is put first of all, to make something, to write something, to have an idea and it actualize it. Is like that is really the wind for real. I'm not just saying that like that is like, come on, you know what I mean? You literally manifested something how people consume it. If you impact anyone you that's literally a bonus to it. You know, that's why we do it. But that's that's you literally changing the world. So one thing I've had to accept is like, yeah, how people like I can't control what people think of me, their perceptions of me, And when I try and control that, it takes me off of my path that I'm on where I need to go, you know. So that's that's that is something hard, and you have to separate, like that said, that power of separation, of doing what you love to do and not tie it into how people perceive it.
Speaker 2: Those are two separate.
Speaker 3: Things, which is so hard, so hard, And I loved what you said that when you get fixated on what other people think of you, you're just getting distracted from your path. Of course, now you're placing it on and then you might even shift what you're doing to try and a pease them, and then they still won't like it. And that's the craziest part, right, You do what you want and they don't like it, and then you do what they want and they still don't like it, and then you don't know who you are anymore, and no one likes it and you don't like it either, and you end up not liking yourself trying to get everyone else to like you. That's where you don't want to be at, and that's where you don't want to be at.
Speaker 1: And then you're kind of like back to a square one, you know, position of like okay, having to re establish yourself and you know you got to be right with yourself first. So you nailed it right on the head. Man, It's like, you know you can't, you can't really do you live your life for other people. I always say that's a business you'll never be successful at, as the business of trying to please everyone, and then when you do please everyone, it's like, are you pleasing yourself?
Speaker 3: It's a hard it's a hard lesson as well for people, because we will naturally want to make the people around us happy. And our childhood has so much to do with that. You know. We were speaking a bit earlier and I was talking about how like I was the peacemaker in my family, I was the mediator. Yeah, I was the young one as a ten year old, wow, And so I was always trying to keep the peace and listen to people and understand them and understand what was going on. And so I always had to read in between the lines and I always had to have a great sense of when something was going to kick off and how did And I wasn't trying to make peace in the sense of like everyone's just got to get along. I was always trying to get to the root of it and go what healings needed here? And I don't know, I just always did that.
Speaker 1: And you know what, you know what's special about that, man, is that I think that we choose our parents before you know, I think as spirits we choose our parents. This's is what I believe, right, It's just a concept that I believe. And some people be like, well that's I was in a family where it wasn't easy this and I would have never chosen that.
Speaker 2: But you don't understand that.
Speaker 1: You know, to be one the billion of sperm that make it into the egg and come sensual life, you really fought to be in this world, right, And I truly believe that God doesn't give you what you want. God gives you what you need first and foremost, and you don't know how the development. There are some people who need a nurturing family that's perfect, right, And then there are some people who actually learn maybe even more and.
Speaker 2: Become more of a.
Speaker 1: Positive force for the world to change it by learning of what not to do from their parents directly all the time or not all the time, but like in certain situations, you know.
Speaker 2: So I just think.
Speaker 1: That you know, you being the mediator you were, You were on a course you were learning at such a young age of things to apply or what not to apply to your marriage. And the fact that you were that, because we talked about it off camera, the fact that you were a mediator, the fact that you were that for your family at such a young age, it's just incredible because look at the path that has led you to. Man, you're impacting everybody. Man, You're impacting like the world you know, and me and families, and you're really changing it with like the person you are in the heart that you have have you know.
Speaker 2: So wow, I'm just I just got to pay my respect to you.
Speaker 3: No, you're too kind. Man. I got lucky. I met good men. I feel like important people we've talked about in previous interviews. When you've come on about your mother's role in your life, Oh and how pivotal she was and for me, my monk teachers. You met Ratherandswami when he came to my him over a couple of years back, and you met him, and meeting him was so pivotal to my whole spiritual journey. I was going to ask him and talk about kids picking their parents. Noah picked you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did talk.
Speaker 3: To us about how fatherhood has transformed your views on the learning experience, of what you've learned from fatherhood that you couldn't have learned from anything else.
Speaker 1: Well, when you have a kid and you see them and they look like you, and they look like their mom, you see that they smile like you, or smile like her or how you know, you see all these things and you realize, okay, and then they kind of look like my brother, and they kind of look like her granddad and her you know, all these different family members, right, and you're like, this is really crazy, and he'll do something that is like reminiscent of what you used to do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So then I realized that, Okay, the DNA is like a computer. It's information that gets passed on on and on and on, right, So you're really the culmination of a whole lineage, right and in you. So one of the things that I learned from him, because there are times in my life where I'm like, man, I wish I could talk to my grandma. You know, my grandma was a female black captain in World War two.
Speaker 2: Man, she was crazy.
Speaker 1: She was incredible, and like or my granddad they met in World War two, right, or like I wish I could like I'll be like, man, I wish I could like speak to them or like get advice from them. Now, you know, I only known them as a little kid. And then I realized that the information is already in me. All I have to do is just go deeper within and really connect with that. And that's something that I learned from my son being born. Somehow that clicked. Is like he is the culmination of our lineage, all the DNA from my side, from his mom's side and so on and so forth, and he's got he's got something special going on. So that's one thing I learned. And another thing I learned is to go back to the simplistic beauties of life. When we're on walks out in nature. He's so fascinated with like the flowers and the birds and like just like oh this or that or bug b you know, he's like and it just given me a whole new excitement for that. Yeah, And I really appreciate him for teaching me. I feel like he's teaching me as much as we teach him. I feel like he's teaching all of us a lot as well. And he's also teaching all of us that, like, hey, we can be happy right now. He's like, even if he's like distraught or something, he'll go do something be happy right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, chooses it. And I love that.
Speaker 3: Man. I'm so glad I ask you asked you that question because I knew you'd have such a deep answer for it, like your answer. The first part of it, the idea that your child has all of that within Like you were just saying you wish you could talk to your grandparents, which I wish I could interview your grandparents. I mean that sounds like a phenomenal you journey and story to hear about it, And I want to know how much more you know about what they did or how much you don't. But I love the idea that we actually have it encapsulated within us. It gets coded in us, it is and even if we're unaware of it. And I was talking to a researcher the other day. I was doing some research for my next book, and she was talking to me. We were finding this research that was talking about how when kids are told their ancestral stories, they have a much deeper sense of belonging. And so the reason why so many of us feel so lost today is we've never been told deep stories about where our parents come from, where our grandparents come from, what they went through, not in a way to make us feel like a victim or a feel at a disadvantage, but to hear a story from the perspective of this is your heritage, and then you feel like you belong to something so much more, bigger and beyond you, whereas most of us are just like, oh, yeah, I'm from West Hollywood or whatever. Right, it's such a like you know, it's like a temporary residence, it is, but like when you know you belong to something eternal. Like I was talking to the research I was saying that in my life, the things that have helped me the most when I'm going through a tough time, a difficult time, a real low, is recognizing that I'm part of a five thousand year old tradition. So when I'm repeating the geta, which is a five thousand year old scripture, which is the text I learned as a monk. When I realize I'm connected to that lineage, I feel unstoppable because I'm like that survived for five thousand years. I'm going to be all right. I'm gonna be okay, right. Whereas when you just think like, oh, man, you know, I've just been on the planet for like that years and I'm trying to figure it out, it can feel quite uncomfortable. And so I love what you're saying that actually, inside your son Noah, there is the coding. Yeah, all his grandparents.
Speaker 1: It is, and all of us. It's like time traveling. People always try and figure out how to preserve themselves. You know, the expression, oh I'm living through my kids or I'm living that's real. I've realized how much power these simple expressions have communication can save a nation, or like you know, but like, yeah, I really feel like we always try and think like, oh, there's not enough time, there's not enough time. There's a real, real, real truth to I'm living through my kids or whoever or whoever you choose to I don't even think it has to be your kids. I think that your blood, your lineage, it's like you really are you really do time travel? You know, a thousand years from night. There may be some descendants that look like us, you know, or like slight. You know, you'd be like, oh, you know, I look like my dad's dad, you do. Yeah, I've never met him, you know, he unfortunately passed, you know, when I was super little.
Speaker 2: I never even met him. But he's a part of me too.
Speaker 1: And I think that's also why it's important to work on yourself and to heal certain traumatic experiences because with all this information we pass on, you also pass.
Speaker 2: On the good and the bad, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So said, you know, you heal things health wise, and you heal things traumatic wise, you know, or trauma wise, and you know, it's really important to work on yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually because you pass on all of that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, man, I mean that's what's so interesting, right, Like within you you have the coding of the greatness, yeah, and the heritage and you the coding of the unhealed generational trauma that keeps being passed down. What was what was something you had to look at in your background and past generationally traumatically that wasn't healed that. You were like, I'm not going to pass this to Noah, like this has to stop this time.
Speaker 1: Oh so many things, so many like uh, worry one thing. I used to worry so much create all of these scenarios in my head. And I think that's like a double edged sword. You know, when you have an imagination in your creative you create right, so you can create good.
Speaker 2: You could create bad, but.
Speaker 1: They're they're one of the experience of life has taught me it to never worry. No matter what, You're gonna be fine, you know. I think one of my biggest fears used to be, like, what if I lose everything right, and what if I have to go back to, you know, growing up in Detroit and the hood blah blah blah and I and then it's.
Speaker 2: Just like, well I was I could.
Speaker 1: I was happy there too, Like I shouldn't be scared to lose any of this stuff because this stuff is conditional, and it's like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna be good wherever I'm at.
Speaker 1: I remember when I talked to side Googu, I was like, where's your favorite place in the world. He's like, wherever I'm at and I was like, damn, you know, so it kind of goes back to that that like that's one of the things I don't want to pass.
Speaker 2: On to him. It's like, you never have to worry, you know.
Speaker 1: You know, you could, you could be fueled, you could let something inspire you to be greater, you could let something light a fire under you. But like, don't ever worry because you have what it takes to to get to wherever you got to get to, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, how do you kind of imprint that in a young child?
Speaker 1: Like how do you you do you imprint that in a young child by building up his confidence? And that's one of the things I love about my boy is like he's so confident. He's like, you know, I never am. Like that's something that I want to keep feeding him. Even on the song I wrote about him on my album, I said, I see my inner child in him, instilled the remnants. Will he lose it to the world as an imminent or is it something that me and his mom have instilled in him? And the confidence you lose you could build again. It's like yeah, and like I just want to water that. I think that when I was a kid, my mom and my dad came up in like a civil rights moment in the country. Like my mom had to drink from like a different water fountain. You know, my family has been through a lot. My mom's great aunt, who was like an old woman. My mom will go visit her in North Carolina, was born a slave. So that just goes to show you how close that that lineage is.
Speaker 2: Too right.
Speaker 1: It's like it kind of feels like it's so far away, but it's not. She was an old woman and my mom was a baby. But my mom is alive now, so the connection of that is like few and far between.
Speaker 2: My point being is that my mom and my.
Speaker 1: Dad did the best that they could, but they can from an era where they had to really be don't be too loud, be controlled, don't do but get out of line.
Speaker 2: Like you know, my mom would be like when.
Speaker 1: You get pulled over, like make sure your hat is off, and like you they see you faith and you be respectful and and I think there was a lot to that, but it was it was coming from a little bit of a fear based place sometimes. And that's something that I've recognized and that's something that my mom has helped me recognize too through all of the knowledge she's.
Speaker 2: Given me and my dad.
Speaker 1: But like one of the things I want to pass on to him is that like, be confident in who you are because you have what it takes. He has you get to already tell you has a great heart, He has a great spirit. He loves making trying to make people laugh, you know, not even at two years old. He was like before, like one year old, like telling you know, trying to like make you smile. And it's just like I just want to keep water in that confidence in him, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And that confidence kind of talks nicely to the second practice. In your book, you talk about strategizing. Yeah, strategizing, And I love that you went there because I think a lot of people see spirituality and strategy as opposite, opposite, or they separate them, right, And I know we've always vibed on the fact that to me, they go hand in hand absolutely, because strategy is just intentionality in action, right, Like That's that's.
Speaker 2: What it is. Strategy is intentionality and action, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have intention and then you get activated around an intention and that's how you strategize. But I think often people think strategy has to be conniving or like some sort of manipulation. But that's not what you mean. So when you say we need to get strategic, how do we build the skill of becoming strategic? And what does it mean?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you recognize, like you said, is just some strategy.
Speaker 2: To me, is the key to.
Speaker 1: Getting is one of the keys to move from where you are to where you have to be because you identify where you desire to be. Because you identify so much and you get to you get to research, you get to.
Speaker 2: Plot and plan. Nothing. You know, nothing.
Speaker 1: That is really amazing in life is doesn't come without a plan, you know what I mean. There are a lot of spontaneous things, and I do believe in the energy of spontaneity and like, but strategizing, to me, is so important and there's so many ways to do it.
Speaker 2: You know, you could like study someone from Afar.
Speaker 1: That's kind of one of the beauties of the Internet is like you can kind of study and know someone you really respect. Or you may have someone in your family, or you may have someone in your neighborhood, or you may have someone but even say someone from across the world that you really respect. You can study a lot of their what they have put out in the world, and sometimes that's all you need. There have been times where or when you get to know someone fully, you might get let down a little bit. It's like because you have all these expectations and you meet them and it's like, wait, what you know? But I think there comes again the power of separation, like you got to separate that and you know.
Speaker 2: So I know I'm talking a lot, but good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think that, like strategizing is a real key to happiness, you know, and strategy it doesn't have to be like a deep thing. Strategizing could just be as simple as writing your intentions down, strategizing your day.
Speaker 2: How are you going to approach this?
Speaker 1: I always like, before I get into a studio session or anything, I always like meditate and I write down what I would like to experience in the session, you know, what would I like to get done, how would that feel? And I kind of lock onto that feeling before I go and do do what I gotta do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad that you pointed out that strategizing it starts with studying, because then it becomes you study something and then you apply it, and that's what strategy is you study it first and then you apply it. And I was thinking about it as you were saying, like strategizing your day. I was thinking about if you think about New York, it's a grid system. That's a strategy. It's a strategy, like that's what it is. If you look at if you travel to Europe, you'll see there was a strategy in how towns were built where like the church would be in the middle of the town, it'd be a river flowing through the middle, there'd be a bridge over the river. There was a strategy and how it was built in order to create an experience of the city. And I feel, you know, that's what it is. It's thinking about your life and thinking what are the pillars and priorities in my life, Like what are the things that are like almost like building a city exactly right, He goes, Okay, well, a city needs a fire station because sometimes there's going to be a fire. It needs a school because I need to learn. It needs a hospital because sometimes you're going to get ill. Like what does a city need? And you've got to look at your life in the same way and go what is my life life need?
Speaker 1: And sometimes that's exactly what your life needs. A structure, you know, when you feel like you're all over the place and things aren't happening, sometimes you just need a little bit of structure and strategy to jump started and build the foundation to build on, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's a perfect analogy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was the best strategy you ever built to achieve something in your life? What example would you give from your own journey? When were you most strategic effectively?
Speaker 1: There have been times where I was very strategic in times where I wasn't. And one of the times in my life where strategy really helped out was just like I would say, securing my first record deal. I always knew I would get a record deal. I would talk about it frequently with my friends in eighth grade. I would talk about when I A when I sell out, the this, the this, when I was, when I sell out the Palace Auvary Hill, all these things that I did ended up doing later. I just knew it was going to happen. I just didn't know how. And we all know that you can make plans and God laughs at it. But I really feel like when your heart's in the right place and you have the intentions and you put a little bit of strategy to it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Like one of the things that I've always wanted to do is like, Okay, how can I get on the radio?
Speaker 2: You know? How can I be?
Speaker 1: How can I how can I be on the radio. Then I, you know, did some homework and my friend, oh, there's a radio show where you can battle rap and end up wrapping on the radio, you know, and people, Okay, that's a way to get on the radio. So how do I get down there?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh so I need a ride down there. I would like plan out every aspect. I need to make sure I have a ride to get to the radio station to.
Speaker 2: Be able to battle rap.
Speaker 1: Okay, I need to plan I need to write a rap for the when I get on the radio, so I have something to wrap over, you know. And so it's like you strategize every aspect of it and it can be fun. It doesn't have to feel like homework. It don't got to feel like school work. None of us want to do more work. In fact, when you strategize, you probably are emanating a lot of work, a lot more work. Don't get full thinking that like you're getting ahead by not doing the work. I'm telling you, when you strategize and plan things out, you're eliminating hours of work. So that is the reason. You know, a lot of us may not have time to read this book. You think like, I don't have time to read a book. I'm telling you like reading a book, not just my book, but a book that impacts you saves time.
Speaker 2: It doesn't take time.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm so glad you said that, because yeah, that's all it does. All it does when you're learning, all it does is saved time. It stops you from making mistakes. It helps you avoid the ones that someone else made before you. You probably make some new mistakes, for sure, Yeah, but you'll avoid so many. And I loved what you said the way you broke it down, like, ultimately, strategizing is building steps to that goal, and you're trying to break it down to the step that I can do today and now. Yes, that is small and easy all the way up. And I love the way you work backwards where it's like, all right, I want to be on the radio. Yeah, all right, let me break that down way a minute. That means I need to go this. That means I need to do this. That means first I need to do this. Okay, that means right now, I just need to do this. Yeah, And I think sometimes we live on level twenty one of where we want to go, but then we haven't got the elevated down to level zero to go up, right, Like we just mind is in level twenty.
Speaker 1: One and we get mad that we're not on level twenty one. And I'm a victim of that, And I think that you know, I've gone through experience. I'm not a victim. I have done that before. I've experienced that, so I know how frustrating it could be. But don't let it stress you unless you let it unless it's you stress. There's distress, and then there's you stress, and that you stress can motivate you. It really can't. It could light a fire under you. Go through a distress can kind of weigh you down. So you have the power to take any aspect, even depression, and let it either or weigh you down or let it fuel you, you know what I mean. So, yeah, I think that I know it's a lot of people frustrated. I get frustrated. Still, I'm nowhere near perfect. I'm not talking to you as an expert in any way. Shape or form. I'm literally talking to you as a reflection of you and someone who has gone through these experiences and have just like and given the game that I've learned, you know, and straight black and white and examples of how I've done it, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, for sure, you've gave us an idea of when you were strategic, what was the time when you hat it right?
Speaker 1: So there are times where yeah, I've let things go, I didn't strategize, Like there's always things you haven't thought about that you got to come back to later, like when I had to fell out with some family members, like even my mom. My relationship got tainted for a long time and it was like I was not calling her, I was not checking in, I wasn't doing anything that a sun and now having a son, I really feel the depth of that, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I could have strategized that better, you know what I mean? I could have strategized a lot of things better, and you always have twenty twenty in hindsight.
Speaker 3: Totally, totally, totally no, And I agree. It's just good to know because yeah, it's the same for me. And I love how you said that strategy is also sometimes with people, you know, like we say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Well, you say the right thing but at the wrong time, or you say the right thing but in the wrong way, or you say the right thing but in the wrong place, or you say the right thing and you know, to the wrong person.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it has to be strategic because otherwise it's not digested. We just think as long as I'm saying the right thing, everything will be okay. Yeah, But if you say the right thing in the wrong place to the wrong person at the wrong time and the wrong way, with the wrong word the wrong language, it doesn't matter how true the thing you said was right. And that's what strategy is, is going Wait, how do I make sure this lens?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Like what is it? What is required for this to actually have an impact on someone and to serve them and help them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what we're here to do, is to serve in every aspect. It's always comes down to being of service, you know, in anything we put out there, in any interview, in any book, in any song, it's really of service to whatever the moment it relates to, you know what I mean. So yeah, and that yeah, you're right saying the right thing to the wrong. And the thing is, you're kind of the only one who can dictate, you know, right and wrong. It's so opinionated depending on who you talk to. Sure, you know, there are a lot of people who think that, you know, any anything that we could think is wrong. Somebody could argue how it's right, you know, even down to black and white. Somebody can argue that this text that says the exact same thing means this thing, and or this means that thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So I think it's important to come from a place of understanding. And this leads to something else I want to talk about, because just because you understand something doesn't mean you have to accept it just because you understand it, And that's something that I had to learn the hard way. I thought that I was being this spiritual guy by if I get into a disagreement with someone understanding where they come from and then ultimately turns to me not respecting myself because I'll understand where they're coming from and be like, Okay, I get it. But the fact that I still get it it doesn't mean that I can't express myself and I'm not valid. So I want to make sure that everyone knows that because I think that that was something that I learned, is to set boundaries. And that's like that big B word. That's like the biggest B word there is is boundaries that I've learned this year, and like that has really really really changed a lot of tynamics with people and change a lot of It's really created a lot of happiness in my life.
Speaker 3: Why did boundaries become so prominent in the last year, As you said.
Speaker 1: I think I was trying to be a hero in every situation I was in. I'm some empathetic person, so I love to I really can feel when people are going through something, even when the world is going through something. It's like I kind of really have to like really protect myself energetically because I take on a lot of people's problems. You know what I'm saying, I can't help it, and it's not a good I don't look at it as a bad thing.
Speaker 2: I just look at it as how I am.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Do I wish sometimes that I could just cut things off? Yeah, but it had taught me that I can. I just have to set boundaries on what I can and can't accept.
Speaker 2: And this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are a lot of things that I was tired of feeling uncomfortable in certain situations.
Speaker 2: I was tired of letting people walk all over me.
Speaker 1: And just because I understood or I get it, I'm not respecting myself. And I didn't realize that I wasn't respecting myself in that. You know, there are times where yeah, I need to I can't go to this thing, I can't do this or you know what, I can't go here. I can't go to Dubai and do this show because I have to be here for my son. I got to take my son trick or treating. You know, I had to say some of those boundaries that may have cost me one.
Speaker 2: Thing, but I gained another.
Speaker 1: And one of the most important things I gained back from setting boundaries is the trust in myself, you know, the confidence that I feel like I have been building up so yes for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think we're scared of setting boundaries because we are scared of what we lose when we do. It could be fomo, it could be you know, the fear of becoming irrelevant, the fear of becoming insignificant.
Speaker 2: The fear of losing a person the.
Speaker 3: Fear of losing a person. But I learned that too. I remember a time in my life where I had so much passion fatigue where I just felt like I was there for everyone else, but I had no And when I say income, I don't mean financially, I mean there was no energy income coming in.
Speaker 1: And you were just a piece of you. You were just a part of you at that point, exactly.
Speaker 3: And you're just and it's what you just said. You're trying to be a superhero and you're trying to be the guy, not in an egotistic way, you actually just care about people for real. But I realized very very quickly at that time that unless I was full, rested, complete, you know, I wasn't actually able to help anyone. I was just giving people my leftovers, yeah, and not the best of myself.
Speaker 2: And I would enjoy it. And you got to enjoy your life too.
Speaker 3: Totally totally, And I just found that what really helped me was remembering that I didn't have enough to give anyone else if I wasn't in a good place myself period. And that didn't mean I wanted to get to a good place just for myself. The reason I wanted to get to a good place is so I could give more good to others, and therefore there had to be a structure. They had to be an order of all. Right, well, I need to take care of myself. I need to be full, I need to be ready, and then I can extend myself. But if I keep extending myself to everyone else, chances are I get bitter at them. I'll get mad at myself, and then I want have anything to give. Yes, that's right, right, yeah, And it's an interesting one. Boundaries because I feel like I think we also think we set boundaries for other people, but we do it for ourselves.
Speaker 2: We do it for ourselves because people.
Speaker 3: Always be like, this person keeps breaking my boundaries, and I'm like, well, no, you keep breaking your.
Speaker 1: Boundaries exactly right, No, Yes, it's you know, it's like the boundaries forgiveness. They're not just there for you. You know, forgiveness is for you as well, and boundaries are for you as well. Yeah, it's been tough. I think that I grew up letting people walk all over me. I think I grew up by letting people take advantage of me straight up, you know, just to be real and I saw that in my parents, especially my dad. He would let people take advantage of him. He was a very nice guy. And there's nothing like I said right or wrong. It's an opinion, you know, It's just a perspective. So I'm not criticizing him or saying he was wrong in any way. It's just the kind, spirited hearted person he is. But along with that, you do have to set your boundaries and respect who you are because you will lose a sense of yourself by trying to take care of everyone else. You will lose a sense of yourself if you don't set these boundaries, you will lose the sense of yourself if you don't take the time out to keep connecting with yourself, even if it's something you love. I lost like the passion of like watching anime. I remember why I was working so hard. It's like I hadn't sat and watched anime. I love watching anime. I love Dragon ball Z, I love like my hero Academia and Demon Slayer and even Galiens and all these things, and that's just one thing that I love. Right, So it's like I have to take time out to do that because it is really important to me. Yeah, so I know all of us have demands, some of us have family, some of us work two jobs, three jobs, some of us. And you say it's impossible. What I'm telling you, if you make that time, you will create more time to be the better version of yourself in any of those situations.
Speaker 2: I promise you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. The other thing that really helped me as a boundary. And this doesn't apply if something's life threatening or urgent, but some of them, someone would call me up and be like, oh, I had to fight with my wife, to fight with my husband, and my natural inclination was to fix it. So like, yeah, let's jump on the phone. I'm going to help you through it right.
Speaker 2: Now, because that's how you wear as a ten year.
Speaker 3: Old, because that's how it was as a ten year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah and so on and so forth. Yeah, go ahead, And.
Speaker 3: Then I realized then actually my new response started to be yeah, let's talk in three days. And the reason was a because maybe I had stuff on and I couldn't run to it. Like I said, it doesn't apply to lifetime. If someone calls me and goes I got to the hospital, obviously I'm going to be there. But if someone saying hey, this happened. That happened. I realized I may not be in a position to quit everything in my life to go and be on this call. And those three days that person actually had to do some processing for themselves. And when I was just jumping on the phone with them, trying to save and solve their problem, I was actually just enabling them to not have to process it themselves. So most people in three days would say to me, They text me and go, gee, actually I think I figured it out exactly, and I'd be like, great, I'd love to hear it. Let's jump on a call. And now they talk to me be like, look, I thought about it. You know, they said this. I said that, but you know, and it just showed me that so much of the time we think we're saving people, were actually just an them. And every time we think we're going to solve their problem, we're actually just creating more issues for them. Because everyone needs to learn to process mentally and emotionally themselves.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And so sometimes like jumping in to help someone, you actually end up hurting them because yeah, because they need to do it themselves. And so sometimes I just said that boundary with myself. It wasn't like I don't want to be there for my friend or a family member. I just realized being there for them meant not being there right now, and they didn't know that. But then when I saw them benefit from it, I realized that actually space sometimes gave them what they needed more than my words could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it goes back to that we were talking about a lot of the answers are in you, you know, a lot of there was the things you're looking for, the resolutions, they are in you.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it may.
Speaker 1: Take a little wild to rise to the surface, and sometimes they'll figure out. But one of the worst things you could do is impact somebody in the moment of them being emotional or in the moment of rage or in the you.
Speaker 2: Know, influencing them.
Speaker 1: It could it could, You could really ruin something, you know, because you're feeding off of their emotions.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, just leave, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You should just leave, like instead of just being like, hey, take some time to you know, talk through it. Yeah, it's really that's a that's a real important, great lesson man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's helped me a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a great way of of exercise and boundaries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Exactly what if what are other daily habits. You talk about journaling and meditation in the book, and I want to talk about both of them because I think they talked about a lot today, but I want to hear about your deep, specific habits and how it's become such a ritual for you. So let's start with journaling. Like, obviously you're a writer anyway.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make it easier.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, like, what's different about writing music? Writing the book versus journaling?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, completely different.
Speaker 1: So with music, I don't even like I kind of just say when I get in the studio, I kind of just let it flow through me. And I learned that from like Kanye and jay Z and Common. Now there are a lot of people who do right on paths like Eminem you know, it's amazing to me and a lot of people I know. But how I do it personally is I just kind of like feel through it and let it stream to me and like going to mic and like not necessarily freestyle it, but yeah, just piece it together. You got to come for a session one day. But then when it comes to journaling, that's my time where I put like my sword, you know, your pin is like your sword to paper, and you are setting your strategizing and you're setting your intentions of you know, things you may would like to experience. But I also like to do like gratitude. For some reason, gratitude just seems to magnetize more of the things that I'm thankful for in my life. I've seen it work in a lot of ways, and that's my belief.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So the things that you are grateful for, you have to let the world know that you're grateful for it, because house is going to know to give it back to you, you know, or to bring it to you, or to do the people around you. And it also is a great way for me to you know, and I practice. I am in so much power. So I am grateful. I am this, I am happy, I am confident. I am happy that I get to sit down and talk to my friend Jay today, you know, I am. I'm happy I get to whatever the case is, right. So that's what I do. And then at the end of it, of the journal of the when I do the gratitude stuff, and there are times where I write how I feel, not as much, I also speak out loud by myself. You know, there are a lot of processes I do. But when I do that journal, I sign it at the at the bottom of it like a contract, and I like I sometimes I put it is done, or I put like, so be it because it's a declaration when I do that, and I sign it because it's that important to me.
Speaker 2: I have to sign my contracts.
Speaker 1: I have to sign things that will be upheld as an important thing. And that's how the level of importance even more that I hold that too, so I sign it every time.
Speaker 3: That is so good, man, I've heard that before. I'm going to start doing that.
Speaker 2: It's powerful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never signed it.
Speaker 1: That's still it's powerful. And jad does everything I write down come to fruition? No, sometimes it does, a lot of them do. And then I realize that I'm also on God's time. So the things that I've always wanted, the things that I've desired, it may not just be the right moment in my journey for that.
Speaker 2: But that's the beauty of it. Man.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm still here, I'm still able, I'm still inspired, I'm still passionate.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, So that's how I that's how I do my journaling.
Speaker 1: I also have like a there's a book I have of like poetry too that I like write poems and stuff. I've only I only write a few a year, honestly, but like I'll like fully write and draw around the poem and like it's really like a beautiful art.
Speaker 2: It's just some something I do for fun.
Speaker 1: I haven't actually I've only written one this year, and last year I wrote a few, so maybe I maybe inspired me to write one today.
Speaker 2: But that's kind of all it is.
Speaker 1: But I don't spend too much time on It takes me about five to twelve minutes.
Speaker 3: That's great, max.
Speaker 1: And then I meditate after that because it's kind of like it's kind of like a good transition to like the energy is set for me to like to meditate, because when I meditate, I feel like I'm attracting these things more and giving myself the best shot of being the most productive, the most impactful that I can be, you know. So that's that's kind of the first thing I do when I wake up if I can being a dad. Though there are times where I get I get woken up and I have to go immediately, you know, and so I come back to it later on it's not preferred that way, but it's a good trade off.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, what does your meditation look like? I love because I've learned so much just to now your journal I've never heard so be it it is done or the signature at the end. I'm going to start practicing those three. I like those lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's that important.
Speaker 3: That is beautiful, man, I get that. Like what you just said about we signed contracts, signed checks, Like, there's very few things we still sign.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, and there very important thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are important documents and that is an important document.
Speaker 3: And then so what about your meditation? What does your practice look like?
Speaker 2: It depends.
Speaker 1: I love doing guided meditation. Sometimes I love doing I kind of have my own process where I like visualize the light of creation, like the light of the sun, and it like really filling my whole body up and literally everything that doesn't align with that, anything that isn't that light and bright, you know what I'm saying, immediately leaves my body and goes back into the earth. And like, so you know, there are times where I if I'm not in nature, I imagine myself in nature and like things going back into the earth, and I like surround myself, you know, from my I forgot the word that esoteric body. I think it's like one inch off of you, then your emotional body, then your mental body, and like I just do the same thing, Like it's like a shower of light. It's like hopping in the shower after you work out, like but of light and whatever it is, I kind of like cater to how I'm feeling. So from there, I'll like, if I have like some row on my stomach, I'll like, for some reason, I associate green with healing energy, right, and this comes from years of like practice, or I associate royal.
Speaker 2: Blue with power, you know, the power of the universe.
Speaker 1: I associate like a red with the love of the universe, the love and support of the universe. And like I represent like the violet flame of Saint Germaine, like to cleanse things that are holding me back.
Speaker 2: Right, So I do.
Speaker 1: I have like quite a process and I break it down in a book and afterwards I feel just it really makes a big difference. And you know, I read this book the Hidden Messages in Water, I believe it's called, and it talked about you know, there's like itty bitty microscopic crystals in water, and they one of the part of the book, the experiment of like how positively when you speak to water, like, hey, you're amazing, I love you, keep going like you're beautiful. And then they had another water a glass or container of water where they said, like you suck.
Speaker 2: It's never that, you know, real negative.
Speaker 1: And you look at the crystals and one is like a beautiful snowflake looking crystal, and then the other one is like distorted and all damaged, and we are seventy eighty percent water. So these things, when you write these affirmations down, or when you say them out loud, or when you journal, these things have a real effect on you tremendously, Like scientifically, it's not even like a woo woo type of thing. It's not even like it's not even up for debate, you know what I'm saying. It's literally scientific for the people who are more you know, need the proof as opposed to it, you know, more analytical than like opinion based. So I just want to stress the importance of it.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: And by the way, the most the most honorable people that I've met and like what I consider to be successful, and I don't mean richest. I just mean successful in like the impact what they're doing, how.
Speaker 2: They are they meditate.
Speaker 1: They all, you know, from my favorite rappers down to my favorite down to you, you know, down to anyone who I just really admire and and and you can meditate in your own ways. They're like I know, like Janey does different meditations, you know, through sound healing or mirror meditations. I know people who do shower meditations, walking. There's no wrong way to meditate either. That's another misconception. There's no wrong way to do it. The fact that you take the intention out or if you focus on your breathing, the fact that you take the time out to be that conscious of yourself. Over time, you will get more and more into it. It's like anything you do and you will see the effects of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was what?
Speaker 3: Have you ever meditated with another rapper that was interesting or anything like that? Anyone an interesting practice that I wouldn't know about. Does Eminem meditate?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: I have never meditated with Eminem, but he is a very Eminem is a very like amazing person, so I wouldn't be surprised. I know jay Z does. I haven't meditated with him, but I know he does. And you know, there are all different ways. You know, sometimes just sitting and visualizing and like seeing these things is a form of meditation.
Speaker 2: It could be your way.
Speaker 1: So you have to find out these ways that work for you, just like therapy. It's like, I can't I can tell you how therapy work for me, but you may go to a therapist that isn't right for you and be like, oh, therapy is whack. But that's not that's just you know, a specific situation. A lot of times, therapy for me has pushed me to the edge of realization and has been the extra push that I needed to Sometimes I already knew the answer, but sometimes I needed to talk it through, and sometimes I needed to really exercise, and sometimes I dealer something new that awakened the truth in me through therapy and having someone that I could confide and that wasn't a family member, that wasn't a best friend, that I wasn't in a relationship with, and was able to apply it to all of those other relationships and in a very successful way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure. I mean in the book you talk about how I think it was like in twenty six you said you nearly got addicted to adderall when you were touring with Rihanna, and I was thinking, like, how do you stop yourself like in that moment? What was the habit or the tool or the practice was it therapy was in meditation? What was it that helped you recover.
Speaker 2: From that man?
Speaker 1: So, first of all, adderall is like synthetic, you know, I don't know they say like heroin all these things, right, Like, it's just a lot to it. And I'm really into Eastern medicine personally.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I used to have heart, a real bad heart problem that I fixed through literally taking magnesium and some other supplements that a doctor told me that I had to get surgery for it. They told me they had to cut my heart open and put a pacemaker in it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So when I started taking adderall, it's because I was putting myself on a clock that didn't exist. I was putting myself under pressure, and I was living in a fear based way. And I started taking add of all because I wanted to accomplish more. And it was very well, it worked, but at the expense of.
Speaker 2: So many things.
Speaker 1: I honestly, the expense of like my like affecting my soul and changing the person that I was and depleting my body.
Speaker 2: It shut it off.
Speaker 1: It creates synthetic dopamine in your brain, so it creates all this dopamine, but your natural dopamine that is responsible for your happiness, for your inspiration, your creativity, who makes you who you are, it shuts off. It shuts it off, and after a while you're kind of relying on this synthetic dopamine only. And I remember as time went on, I would go in the studio and I feel like I couldn't do anything without it.
Speaker 2: And that's when I knew I had a real problem with it.
Speaker 1: So I went cold turkey, And that is like that was probably the second bout of depression in my life that I went through.
Speaker 2: That was like real.
Speaker 1: That's when I was like wanting to kill myself, Like I was just like my mom was playing all these tricks on me, right, And it didn't matter that I had, like I would have had a big ass house in Beverly Hills. It didn't matter that I had millions of dollars in the account, And it didn't matter because as great as a lot of those things are, they're still separate. I'm wearing a Lincoln Parks shirts through you know, Chester. I can't speak from God rest his soul, but like, who would think that, Like, oh, that someone you know who's one of the biggest rock stars in the world and the band regardless of you know, what they talked about their music, like would do that you know? Or the delete you know, Kirk Cobain, you know all these things, right, So it's because it's all separate, you know. And I'm not saying that money can't make you happy.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: I don't like when like people, you know, I don't like when rich people get on Cameron be like, money isn't everything.
Speaker 2: It isn't everything, but it's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a resource that is very needed in every in anything you need to do in this world. I agree you need it, So it is important. It's very important. I'm not gonna like sit in here and say it isn't. But it was separate from what I had to deal with at the time, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: I went cold turkey and that's when I stopped everything I was doing and I called my mom, who we weren't on great terms, and she came out and was in my house with me and entry.
Speaker 2: My mom has always shout out my dad too.
Speaker 1: My dad is with me today and he's like, man, make sure you shot me out too, Like, yeah, i'mnna shot you.
Speaker 2: Out too, Like my dad is great.
Speaker 1: But my mom at that point and those certain points in my life, just a few key points, she knew what she had a solution to offer me always and I really appreciate that. It's something I hope to do for my kid and kids. And she was like introduced me to you know, she was who put me on meditation. She just would always introduce me to certain things. Try this, try this method. And then I started realizing how connect the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual art, and I started working out. I started prioritizing myself and started putting me first, started reconnecting with things I wanted to do, started trying new things, jumping out of planes I was doing, going to the gun range, just trying things out that I was like, Hey, that's interesting, let me try it. And it really helped me reconnect with myself. I started watching anime again, and then you know, I had to take a break from the studio because I wasn't I couldn't think of anything, and then I finally got back in and was inspired again. And life is the greatest inspiration. But what I can say is to people who are addicted to adderall and like other drugs, that that synthetic high is very temporary, and it said at an expense, And it's different when people who have ADHD who necessarily need it. But there are even other ways to deal with that. And I guarantee you they will take less of your body. You know, these things like when these prescriptions they mess up your kidneys, your liver and as simple as that sounds, these your liver, your gut, messing up your gut. Your gut is your second brain. It dictates so much more than we've been let on to know. I think that's why Roddy is so you know, into the food, because it's not just food. It's like it's it's it's so much more than that. So I know I'm running on and on, but my point is that it was very tough, but you get through it and they're on the other side of it. You You you come out as like a true champion and you're the source of it. And there's no better drug or high than being high.
Speaker 2: Off life.
Speaker 1: There is no better thing because you're the actual drug, You're the actual source of it. It's not something you have to take to get to there. It's like you are and there's you'll be. You can soar, you can go go higher than.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real, How do you feel your grandmother would feel reading this these pages?
Speaker 1: My grandma was one of the first people to give me a book of It was a book about King Solomon, and that book changed my life. And it talks about the strategies of King Solomon, how he had his ran his business, how he strategized, how you know how King Solomon he didn't He wanted wisdom. That's what he wanted and that's why he was granted everything else. That's why he was the richest man who ever lived, is because that's not what he was.
Speaker 2: He didn't seek the power.
Speaker 1: He sought the wisdom to help people, and God gave him the resources by making him the richest man.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So anyway, you know, so my grandma, she was like one of the first female black captains in World War Two. She was one of the first like female police officers, a teacher, a counselor. She was incredible, right, her and my granddad met in World War two, and she was the example of hard work, the example of nothing is something. She lived on the street called out Her Drive, which was that's where Marvin Gaye used to live when he lived in Detroit.
Speaker 2: It's like a real prestigious street.
Speaker 1: And I can imagine that that was like one of her proudest accomplishments. So I really got loved for I think she would read this book and be proud, you know, I think so.
Speaker 2: And I think that, you know.
Speaker 1: As a scholar, she would probably be like correcting some of my grammar work and you know, things like that, but she would be very proud. She was very strict in a lot of ways, and she believed that education, going to college was a way to a better life. And I went a different way. I didn't go to college. I was like when instead I went to the music and she know I had respect for it because I always had good grades. But even when I chose the exact opposite of what she wanted me to do, she supported me wholeheartedly. And I spent all the bonds she saved up, all the money saved up for college, I spent it all on studio sessions, and I can't imagine how mad or how pissed off that might have made her. But through it all, she supported me, and I just appreciate it. She just shows me how much she valued family. And I was able to buy a house for her and my mom before they passed. She actually saw the music payoff. And we used to watch all these Westerns and Jeopardy and all these things. And I remember she was watching Jeopardy and I was actually a question on Jeopardy, and you know, I taught to her on the phone and she was so like wow, like you know, and it used to tear me apart when things weren't working out and I was spending her money on the studio sessions. And we would have Sunday dinner every Sunday and I would have to go and sit there and she'd be like, well, what's going on with the music? You know you need to Why don't you just apply to community college? Like you could have been halfway with a degree by now. It's been two years. It's been you know, all this time, and it broke my heart every Sunday, and I did give up, you know, at one point, I did give up. So at one point I was over it. I was over music. It wasn't going anywhere.
Speaker 3: When was that?
Speaker 2: That was after I met Kanye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you roped and then he didn't get in touch with it for two years off there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was like a blank you know. And I turned down my scholarships. I had a college. I graduated school like a three point seven GPA. I was like, you know, I had like a lot of academic scholarships, all these things, and I turned it down and then I was it was non responsible. But in hinds I look back, he was blowing up in his own right. He was busy. You know, it's not the same. You only see things from your perspective, especially when you're younger. And yeah, I just was like I felt like I tried and gave it all I had.
Speaker 2: And I gave up.
Speaker 1: And my mom, you know, who was a teacher as well, she was the only one who was like, Yo, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: You know you you know you're you're registering for Come on, you got it? Like, just keep going, you got it. This is this is what you're meant to do. You believe in and do it. And literally months after that, that's when things started picking up, So it's like you can keep digging and digging and digging in. Before I struck the gold, I gave up. And that's what I mean. I had those guardian angels around me to keep it going.
Speaker 3: One thing you spoke about that, you know, I'm really sorry I had to go through it because I had so many friends who've actually gone through it recently, which is why I'm asking. But you suffered a miscarriage like that. I've still got to so many of my friends who are trying to have kids right now.
Speaker 2: It's super common.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like, that doesn't make it any better right right now?
Speaker 2: It does that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many of my friends have had it this year, literally in the last twelve months, and yeah, it's and it's hard. They're going through a loss, their partner's going through the grief. But it's and like you said, it's super common. But that doesn't make it any easier any better when it happens to you, Right What was something that really helped you through that experience that you think could help others? What was it to help both of you? Because it's a two way thing. It's not just about you. A lot of our problems we're just persons ourselves.
Speaker 1: Well, every situation is different, right, so to someone who is experiencing miscarriages, and I can only speak from a man's perspective, I can't speak for a woman who really their perspective is the most traumatic. But I can say that, first of all, you're worthy. I don't want you to think you're not worthy. I don't want you to I don't want people to think that because they have a miscarriage, that they're inadequate, or that they're broken. I think that this life is complex, and there are things we do and don't understand, and I think there's beauty in everything that's meant for you.
Speaker 2: And instead of trying to.
Speaker 1: Control exactly how you want your life to be, except that it's going to be the life that.
Speaker 2: Is meant for you.
Speaker 1: And you may get blessed with a child later on, you may get blessed with a child that comes into your life a different way. You may get blessed with You have to keep your Sometimes we get so set on a goal we don't keep the rest of that of our doors open of how the universe will bless us in that way to not only fill that void, but even make it even greater.
Speaker 2: So I just want to, you know, keep an open mind.
Speaker 1: But you to anyone who does experience such an insufferable loss, like you know, go through it, like express yourself, deal with that grief, but don't let it consume you. You know, sometimes you got to go through it just to get to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, No, I appreciate that matter. It's going to help a lot of them. We've got two last questions for you, Sean before we wrap. How do you personally find the light in really dark times, Like when you feel distracted from that spiritual light? What do you do to reconnect well?
Speaker 1: To find the light in really dark times? Sometimes you have to realize that you are the light. But sometimes you got to embrace the darkness. You ever noticed how when you're in the dark for a long time, you start to see better and things actually get lighter. For sure, I think that it's a natural human instinct to like go into a mode of like fear based and it's like I need the light, I need the light.
Speaker 2: Where's the light?
Speaker 1: Instead of just accepting that you are for certain you are you not only are you the light, that there are is a darkness to you too. That's beautiful and that you have to accept all aspects of yourself. So you know, once you do accept it, I think it's easier to find the light or be the light. I think you know, once you really are comfortable in your environment, you will find and see the way to wherever it is you're trying to go.
Speaker 3: Absolutely great answer, last Querson, I want to ask you. One of my favorite things you ask people to do in the book, which I want everyone to do they get the book, is list five miracles, yeah, that they've experienced in their life. I love this idea because when I read this, I was just like, oh my gosh. If you actually stop to think about the miracles that have happened in your life and to really take them in and to really like embrace them and let them pervade your entire being, you start believing in more miracles. You start living in the miracle, because often it's so easy to live in the negativity and to live in the toxicity and to live in everything that's the opposite of a miracle. What gave you this idea? Where did it come from? And how do you live in the miracle every day?
Speaker 1: I mean, what idea came from like when you highlight, when you really recognize the miracles and you're kind of supercharging them, and you always see more miracles. There are so many miracles every single day. The fact that the sun is at the exact right place, and the moon is at the exact right place, and the oxygen is at the exact right the thing that the fact that we are orbiting is a miracle, bro for real, if you think about it, because one slight thing, everything is gone. You know what I'm saying, Everything is gone as shit fast. So that's one thing. But for me, when you listen to miracles that you experienced personally that impact you personally, I feel like.
Speaker 2: It breathes more so for me.
Speaker 1: Man, being on a pursuit of happiness and being able to actually see my dreams come true to a level is a miracle for me. Having this isn't an order. By the way, having a sun is a you know, that's a miracle. That's for real a miracle, because that's like creating something out of nothing. Being able to man waking up is a miracle. Everyone don't get to wake up.
Speaker 2: Man. Being able to set goals and.
Speaker 1: Pursue them, you know, not even necessarily check them all off, but pursue them. Being able to eat food and let it give me nutrition is a miracle, bro, you know. So I'm not trying to just sit up here and like be preaching positivity in that sense. But there are so many miracles that happened there. I remember one time I was down at the fireworks in Detroit and somebody was firing a gun and I saw it and it looked like I saw it and it went past me, and.
Speaker 2: It was a miracle. I didn't get hit by any bullets.
Speaker 1: It was a miracle that when I got into a car accident and told on my car when I was sixteen, I was able to climb out of the window. I couldn't even open the doors, and nothing was wrong with me. I had a little bruise on the side of my pinky. That was it. It's looked like somebody died in there. There are miracles that happen every day that you may not consider miracles that you have to recognize and you don't even have to question in it. That just shows you, bro, like you're here, we are in we are in it.
Speaker 3: I love that man. That was one of my favorite activities and practices and I hope everyone has been listening and watching today. If you do one thing to do that, yeah for really spend time just mapping out your five miracles. The book is called Go Higher. Five Practices for Purpose.
Speaker 1: And thank you for writing yeah peace, thank you for writing the Ford of course it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: No, just congrats to you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud of you. I know. I was just at your house like a few.
Speaker 3: Days days ago.
Speaker 1: We loved it, eating some amazing food. You really are an amazing person, not just on camera like some people. You really are amazing on and off camera. Man, your heart is big, is very inspiring.
Speaker 2: We have these in our fridge the best. I have all your books on my shelf.
Speaker 1: I've read them and you know, just thank you man, Thank you for being an outlet.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being such a.
Speaker 1: Connection, especially between all of these amazing people and being able to open up and be vulnerable. What I can say is that to everyone watching, your product of your environment, and you are the You are the chemist of your environment. You have the power to change it in any given time or moment. You know, if you're unhappy with where you are, realize that you have the instant power to change it. It all starts with the mentality first and foremost, and that is like the key ingredient to making anything amazing, you know. So I hope you guys realize that we only have this moment. Anything you've done in the past, you have to let go of. Anything in the future can change. You know that you have an idea of how it should be and that what else you know, what are you going to do with the time you got lift?
Speaker 2: It's up to you. Love that man.
Speaker 3: Thank you for writing this book. The book is called Go Hire Everyone. Go grab your copy, share it with your friends, your family, people in your life. Are looking for really insightful, simple wisdom that can create shifts in your life, practical advice, practical stories as well. Sean, I'm really glad you've done this with your platform because I think that you know, it's very rare these days for people to see what masculinity means. And I feel like with you the strength and the vulnerability, which in one sense of the one and the same, but I also think they are different in that I think there is a need to be strong, set boundaries, be to stand up for yourself. These are all strength as well. And then at the same time, the softness, the courage, the bravery, the vulnerability that is too and so I love how you put those both together. It was an honor to write the forward for this book. Think a real like you'd ask me to do. That was I was very touch. You could have asked anyone. And I genuinely, genuinely hope that people are going to pick this book up. And I think people are going to hand it to their friends, their family, people in their life. If you want this year twenty twenty five to be a great year, yeah you got to go higher. Yes, right, And so I'm excited for you. I'm excited for this next chapter in your life.
Speaker 2: Thank you, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Excited for how this book for many many years to come, we'll have an impact on people, not just now, not just this year, but for many years to come. People will look back and say, I love do all the music he wrote, but I also love that book he wrote.
Speaker 2: Thank you man.
Speaker 1: That means everything, and yeah, thanks for that allowing me to communicate always. You know, communication, I always say the communication is the bridge to salvation that God is holding our hand to walk across. And just like any other bridge, you can't skip a step to get to the other side. So thanks for allowing me to communicate, and thank you for communicating so well in your life is very inspiring.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'll see you soon. Man, I'll come back over for dinner.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, I appreciate thank you.
Speaker 2: That is part three.
Speaker 3: That is part three over three four coming, Part four coming.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 3: You're the best man. Thank you brother, Thanks for being that's a dear friend. If this is the year that you're trying to get creative, you're trying to build more, I need you to listen to this episode with Rick Rubin on how to break into your most creative self, how to use unconventional methods that lead to success, and the secret to genuinely loving what you do. If you're trying to find your passion and your lane, Rick Rubin's episode is the one for you.
Speaker 2: Just because I like it, that doesn't give it any value, Like as an artist, if you like it, that's all of the value. That's the success comes when you say I like this enough for other people to see it.