Speaker 1: My New Year's resolution this year, which I think I've stuck to, is just like be honest with people and be be yourself.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to episode ninety six of the podcast with Phoebe Bridges, who I have to thank more than I usually would any of our other guests because this is the second time that we have made this podcast. I met up with Phoebe originally during Lockdown when she was living here in London for about a month or so. We had a lovely chat. It was a great time, and then I realized once I got home or back to our office, that I hadn't pressed record. Thankfully, Phoebe is a nice enough person to do a do over with me. So this conversation that you're about to hear was recorded whilst Phoebe was back in Los Angeles. We did this over zoom. She recorded her end of the conversation, I recorded mine. We stuck them together, and I think I think it's better than the first conversation that we had, but you're going to have to take my word for that, because no one will ever hear it. There are some links below, as per usual, that'll all makes sense as we go along. Down there is a link for un Cabaret, which is the comedy show that Phoebe's mum is a part of as a stand up comic. I should warn you that this episode does contain some particularly bad language. There's a part where we're talking about Phoebe's favorite swear words and some of them are the really bad ones. Other than that, I hope you enjoy it. If you want to support this podcast, there's a link below as well to our supporter a page where you can just make a donation to keep us making episodes of Midnight Chats. We're approaching our one hundredth episode at the moment, and if you want to know more about Loud and Quite in general and becoming a Loud and Quiet member, that's all at loudon Quiet dot com. Forward Slash Subscribe members will receive all of our magazines that we make, and we are also working on a new podcast especially for our members, which will be coming a bit later this month, and we'll we'll we'll keep you informed on that, see if we can tempt you in that way. For now, though, this is number ninety six of Midnight Chats with the incredible, extremely funny Phoebe Bridges, who I should say, released a great album during the middle of Lockdown in June. I'm sure you've heard it already, but if you haven't, it's called Punisher, And although it's extremely sad, it's very good and Phoebe as you're about to hear, is extremely funny. Okay, here we go. You're in La right, You're in your are your home? Is that your home? I can see behind you. It looks like a lovely log cabin.
Speaker 1: It is very lovely. Yeah, I love it. I like being home. But also, America is the worst. It's the worst. I fucking hate it. It's so embarrassing to be American.
Speaker 2: Because you were here for a little bit and because you obviously tour a lot. Do you find every time you go back you realize it? Is it particularly? Is it the worst right now because it's the worst right now? Or is it the worst because you've been away and you've been away from it and you've come back and you're like, oh shit, I forgot it was like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I literally came back and then it was like, oh, California's on fire.
Speaker 3: Ruth Bader Ginsburg died.
Speaker 1: It's like it's I used to think, do you remember in twenty sixteen when all of our heroes died and everybody was just like, oh my god, this is the worst year ever.
Speaker 2: Was also the Trump year, Yeah, exactly, it was that. Yeah, that was considered like the worst year, and then twenty twenty has come along and shown it what for.
Speaker 1: And I also think that people are realizing that just because twenty twenty is the worst doesn't mean it's going to be over in a calendar year like twenty twenty one could be this could just be it for us, It could just continue to suck. White nationalists could take over the country at least, this is what I like. So yes, to answer your question, I do feel the worse right now, having had some space from it and then coming back and being like, oh, it is as bad as it could possibly be right now, as far as like, like, we handled the pandemic worse than anywhere else, obviously, but that is even more apparent to me after having distance and then yeah, and then California being on fire.
Speaker 2: I mean, not that this is a competition, but I feel like we're giving you a rum for your money. I think maybe you are doing it worse than us, but I think we're trying to keep up. I think we're like in the UK.
Speaker 1: With sure, but like the States, because the states are so separate here and like because Trump didn't take any responsibility whatsoever for dealing with it. It's like, you know, the super super red states are like it doesn't exist, and then in California they're like everybody hide. So yeah, it's just like separate waves of like a new group of people leaves their house.
Speaker 2: You know, how are you feeling about the election. Let's do the election. Let's get the election, Let's.
Speaker 3: Get it over with.
Speaker 1: I feel I mean, I don't want to say this because it's so sacrilege, but I I feel powerless, kind of like just the election last time was such a shock to everybody, or I don't want to say to everybody. I have a lot of like friends of color that were like, oh yeah, duh, like this has always been the system. It's been invisible to you because you're a white lady from Silver Lake.
Speaker 3: But but it was.
Speaker 1: Such a shock last time that this time I'm just like, well, I feel like I have control over my universe and that's all I can really think about. Where it's like I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure that I'm speaking out as much as possible and putting my money where my mouth is as far as like charity, and and making sure that there's no you know, shadow banning and whatever in my world. But at the end of the day, it's like, I just hope that good people show up, you know. I mean, I'm gonna be there. They can't take me away from my polling place. But again, I live in California, so it's kind of like a no brainer every year.
Speaker 2: So you're in light that, you're in light the east of the city, right, you're in silver.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I'm surrounded by the liberal elite bubble. That's what I live in.
Speaker 2: You yeah, me too. It's nice, right, this is.
Speaker 3: Where I'm I'm cozy and comfy.
Speaker 1: But but yesterday I was driving in Santa Monica and drove by like the Veteran Cemetery, right, and there were all these tents with American flags outside of them.
Speaker 3: And I haven't looked into it yet.
Speaker 1: I assume it's like they're letting homeless veterans stay there in their tents. But I was like, this is the I was like, if this was in the writer's room, this would be rejected as too obvious, like it's such like homeless veterans sleeping on top of dead.
Speaker 3: Veterans.
Speaker 1: It's like, is like the craziest thing I've ever Oh god, wait, someone's calling me. That's no call answered the phone. Okay, wait, okay, we're back Hello.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah, it sounds like it's like an SNL sketch that they would have They would have rejected.
Speaker 1: It would have been like, no, that's too stupid. That sounds like an eighties movie too on the nose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Last time we met, it was in person. You're hearing like a kind of a bit of a sweet spot. I think because the weather was good. Lockdown was kind of good. That was that was good, by the way. The thing that was like the good time, it's kind of got bad again now and you were enjoying it like you liked have bad language. I seem to remember, Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Love I love. Kunt is just my favorite word. It just really yeah.
Speaker 1: I I every time I'm over there and then I come back, I'm like, all right, nobody says kunt over here.
Speaker 2: I have to stop because everyone's ap pulled. When you say it, you like it slips out and people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean really, I think we talked about this before. But I think in like queer culture, weirdly, you can say it as.
Speaker 3: Much as you want.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like I think it's.
Speaker 3: Almost like the shock value of it is what's so valuable, you know.
Speaker 1: But but I hear way more people say it nowadays. But but yeah, if I say it to like my mom or something, she's like, yeah, although she've heard her use it. Oh yeah, my mom is like, well, when she divorced my dad, she decided to do stand up comedy.
Speaker 2: No, she How old would she have been at that point? Is this before before you've arrived?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, this was around like I was like twenty.
Speaker 2: Okay, you went to watch it, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like my parents had a really fucked up marriage where they were just like domesticly kind of pulling off the idea of marriage sort of but like slept in step separate beds and super abusive and horrible, and my mom, like my dad was super controlling, and my mom never really got to have like a real job, and then she got when they finally got divorced, she just like got an amazing job and started doing stand up comedy.
Speaker 2: What was her bit, What was her like angle, what was her thing?
Speaker 1: Well, her thing is kind of like, I'm a suburban mom, but I I'm also really dirty and I am bitchy about pop culture. But to give you a little taste, I showed up one time and she was like.
Speaker 3: Is it okay if I talk about you a little bit?
Speaker 1: And she she told a story. I guess I must have been like eighteen or nineteen because I was not living with her, but I was still very like needy and freaked out about being an adult, and so I guess I texted her like a picture of my genitalia and said is this herpes? And she totally roasted me on stage and I love it. I was like, I can't believe that she's doing this. It felt like she was like really stepping out there and realized what was funny about her life.
Speaker 2: You know, there's you know some people sometimes you know, you meet someone who says I'm close to my momy and my mom are super close. That sounds like you're enough level of closeness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're like we're like the uh Comedy Central Gilmore girls. Okay, I want to say you know what I mean, like way more fucked up Gilmore girls. Okay where like but also like with like screaming fights when I was a teenager and stuff.
Speaker 3: But she, Yeah, we like every partner that I've ever had.
Speaker 1: When they look at my texts with my mother are like, how are you sharing this information?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's great.
Speaker 2: Was she was.
Speaker 3: She really funny?
Speaker 2: Was she good at the comedy? Did she go down? Well?
Speaker 1: Well, I I always say that I like barely ever drink ever in my life. I feel like it's such a depressant. I'm just like, I can't add one more thing. But when I saw her for the first time, I got like wasted because I was so nervous and she and I didn't need to she was so fucking funny. Like every other time i've she's been doing it on like zoom. She does this show called on Cabaret in you know in normal times that is every Sunday, and she they've been doing it on Zoom and so my brother and I watched it last week and yeah, it crushes.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: I'm going to check this out. What's her what's her name? Is there a name that people listening to this should be finding her stuff? Just Jamie Bridges, Jamie Bridges, Okay, nice, And that is that her full time thing?
Speaker 1: I mean no, because I mean there's like no money in it, especially during a pandemic.
Speaker 3: But she it's her full time passion.
Speaker 1: And I've seen her like sell out places and she's at all the same spots as Like, you know, I've met a bunch of like famous comedians through my mother at this point, which fucking incredible.
Speaker 2: Who's your mum?
Speaker 1: And I met I kind of met like Tig Nataro in the same scene and uh, this guy Alex Edelman, who's fucking hilarious. Yeah, she took me to a show that Margaret Schow was doing that she did. It's really it's it's a it's a very close knit and like d I y world, which I love. Like it's kind of more punk rock than Oh please excuse the circular saw outside of my house.
Speaker 3: If you can hear that, I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't hear that.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that a neighbor building building a shack.
Speaker 3: Someone's someone's like preparing for the apocalypse?
Speaker 2: Okay, I get it. Probably a good idea.
Speaker 3: Probably a good idea is that.
Speaker 2: Where you get your sense of humor? From do you get that from your mom? Because I was going to say, like the fact that you love the word cunt, for example, and you also like twat, right, but you said I think I love I like that.
Speaker 1: I like the way you say though twat. Yeah, I say, like my mom says twat all the time. I really it's just so offensive, you know offensive.
Speaker 2: Hear that. It's not it's kind, it's not very offensive. That's that just means like they're a bit of an idiot.
Speaker 1: You tell that, right, I feel like I hear it only in America at least it to me, it means like stupid woman you would.
Speaker 3: Never call You would never call a man a twat, Actually you would. I do all the time.
Speaker 1: But but then there's twit, which is very no.
Speaker 2: That's like, that's very polite.
Speaker 3: That's who then would ever say that No twit twitters I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Start Twitter is for like the kind of thing that public British public schoolboys might say or their parents might say to them. It's a politely but twat is still not that bad Like twat is just like that guy's a bit I guess it's as similar with jerk, like the way you'd call someone a jerk, Okay, we call them a twat, yeah right, But that like those those kind of words are quite British words. And you like British comedy because you like you were saying that you really like staff Lets Flats, yes, right, and that's I mean, that show is quite a cult show even here, like it's quite a niche show here where I mean, where have you? Where did you? Is that showing in the States or you just found out on lone?
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: Like my friend, my Irish friend who lives in London, was like, you have to check out this show, and I do, and like we watched the whole like first season and then uh and yeah, and then turns out that dude Jamie has like been to my shows before. So now I'm just like obsessed with it and was like, how did I How did I miss out on like this entire beautiful universe of comedy And also and it like reminds me of stuff over here.
Speaker 3: Do you guys have like Tim and Eric?
Speaker 2: Is that a Comedy Central thing?
Speaker 1: I feel like, I don't know, I feel like they've been on tons of stuff I like originally like on YouTube, but I'm sure they had a legit TV show anyway, it goes so perfectly with so much of my favorite American comedy and it's almost like Curb your Enthusiasm or something, just like or or Nathan for you.
Speaker 3: I love that whole genre, like.
Speaker 2: Jamie Dimitri who writes and is and is staff from stuff that's fact. Didn't he come? Was it your house he came to? Or was it a friend's house?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: My friend brought him to my like birthday hangout without telling me, and I had just watched like the night before, So that was sweet. I love I love when the universe feels small in that way. You know.
Speaker 2: Was he was?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 2: Was he cool? Were you cool?
Speaker 1: He literally made me, I mean me and my other friends who are listening to him like he he literally made me a pee a little bit.
Speaker 3: He was so fucking funny.
Speaker 1: You know, like like I was just like, that's that super I'm sure it's so embarrassing and it happens to him all the time, but I wanted everybody around to like just listen to him talk, right.
Speaker 3: I was pissing myself.
Speaker 2: Did you see Fleabag?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah? His his part in Fleaback, although so small, is just incredible.
Speaker 3: He's incredible.
Speaker 2: The reveal of his teeth when he's on the bus is an amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's just a fucking genius. Yeah, like just an honor to share the same name. I will tell you something I did not grow up with, which is Alan Partridge.
Speaker 2: Did you not do you like it? Now?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's just crazy how huge it is over there and how like maybe you'd hear about it in passing over here, Like I mean, I eat that shit up like that. I'm sure tons of comedy that's been inspired by Steve Coogan and whatever.
Speaker 3: But like the fact that it's a household.
Speaker 1: Name over there is very weird because yeah, because it would crush over here and.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's weird. I never kind of it never reached you, right, Like it just has never been shown. It's never made it onto TV.
Speaker 1: No. I think I saw it on streaming the other day. And I also saw stufflet's flats on like HBO or I can't remember what, but but yeah, I was like, finally, Oh you know what I fucking love.
Speaker 3: Is this country?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh dude, that made that makes me cry in like the just like bent over laughing.
Speaker 2: I'm basically trying to go through things that we've not spoken about because it's weird. It's kind of already weird that we're having the same conversations twice we just pretended we'd never spoken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but do you know what interviews are? Like?
Speaker 1: I feel like this is fun because it's a conversation, but my life is being like, so when did you start playing music? I know, and I think at this point I have convinced myself that I'm answering it differently every single time.
Speaker 2: But do you do you think you do a good job of pretending even when it's just the same thing. Are you good at styling it out and making it seem like you're interested?
Speaker 3: I would like to believe that I'm good at it.
Speaker 1: I have definitely said the exact same anecdote in like back to back interviews or something which is kind of humiliating, with like the exact same punctuation or like nuance that I think I have.
Speaker 3: It's just like a fucking Rolling Stone.
Speaker 1: Interview is exactly the same as my pitchwork interview. But you know, I tell the same stupid story about my pants falling down somewhere or whatever, and it's just like does this person have a personality?
Speaker 3: But my favorite one.
Speaker 1: Ever, because sometimes when you're on press trips it gets really gnarly because it's just like over and over and over in the same day. My favorite one that happened was a Better Oblivion Community Center was doing our press trip and we were in an interview where they asked us the exact same question that had been asked in like every interview.
Speaker 3: I can't even remember it was at this point, but.
Speaker 1: It was like, you know, a sort of similar question to what they asked earlier in the interview, like how did you guys meet or why did you guys decide to join a band?
Speaker 3: Or whatever it was?
Speaker 1: And uh, and we've been doing so many that Connor literally with the exact same tone answer, like gave the same answer that he gave to like two questions before in the same interview, like told the same story. It just and I was like, this is this is really fucking with our brains, Like having to have the same conversation you within the conversation, you think it's a new answer.
Speaker 2: From now on. Let's say, right, if I ask you anything and you're sick of answering it, just say no, Well, hold your hand up, so we're not we're not doing that. It's part of the game though, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also, just like.
Speaker 1: I I've always hated the like so much of the quote unquote rock star personality is just.
Speaker 3: Being a dick to like people.
Speaker 1: If someone's being a dick to me, I have no problem saying, excuse me, but go fuck yourself. Like I've I've definitely had some questions where I was like what but uh, But if someone's like, especially if it's like a younger woman who's very nervous to be interviewing me, and they ask questions that someone just asked, it's like, just be nice, like this is important. This isn't Like, especially if you're touring around like a college or something. It's like I know a bunch of musicians that would just be like, what the fuck are these questions?
Speaker 3: I'm like, don't.
Speaker 1: This is this person's day right now, is what they have to do for their job. Yeah, So I feel like being nice is the But I also just trashing a hotel room, what is that? Like? You're just making someone with a fucking shitty job clean up after you. You're not like sticking it to the man. You're sticking it to like someone with children.
Speaker 2: Do you think people want to just get home?
Speaker 1: I know people still do that for sure, Yeah, for sure. I mean it's just I heard like a story about the Replacements like tracking shit into a very fancy party, and I'm like, do you think the fancy people had to pick that up? Like, no, it was like dog shit or something. I was like, that's stupid.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: At the top of your Twitter profile, that picture never fails to make me laugh, which is like two pictures of you holding up Bonivit records. We were a Bonabert T shirt and pulled up over your kind of just so your face is poking out through.
Speaker 3: The neck hug Cornholio.
Speaker 2: Where was that taken?
Speaker 3: Beavs and Butad.
Speaker 1: I think I was probably seventeen and it was taken in my childhood bedroom after a Bona Air show. It was for the Yeah, I definitely was seventeen because that's when the self titled album came out and I got home from that show and took those photos.
Speaker 2: I think it really sums up the experience of being a seventeen year old having just listened to a of their record you haven't worked with, justin of.
Speaker 3: You I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I sang on on the People record and we actually played the Apollo in London. He's the best, and I played his festival in Euclaire. Yeah, he's so cool.
Speaker 2: In those moments, do you do you think back to the seventeen year old who had that? Do you think back to that photo?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love I love that feeling.
Speaker 1: I also just like, you know, normalizing being a super fan, because I think it's uh.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think my new my New Year's resolution this year, which I think I've stuck to, is just like be honest with people and and be.
Speaker 3: Be yourself.
Speaker 1: No, but seriously, just like there's nothing more fun than than working with somebody and then getting to tell them after where it's like, dude, I seriously saw every LA show that you played. I wrote Bonnie verir lyrics like on my guitar case when I was fucking fifteen dumb.
Speaker 2: Do they tend to take that like like, I think that's really nice that you do that. I think that's like I would like to do that. This kind of comes back to this thing of like being like a journalist quote unquote. I use that term on myself very loosely but I feel like I can never say that to somebody. I can never say, by the way, even at the end, I can't say, by the way, I'm such a big fan of yours, it really means a lot. I feel like they're gonna think I'm lying because I'm an evil journalist now right, But I think I guess as a as a fellow artist, it's maybe a bit easier for you to say, hey, by the way, this means everything to me, and for them to not cringe themselves inside out and be sick on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, also, do I just love that shit?
Speaker 1: When it is genuine, I'm not gonna I definitely have heard it from people where I'm like no, or or my favorite is when people.
Speaker 3: Are like my girlfriend loves your music, like cool, yeah, like why am I talking to you that?
Speaker 1: Or like I can't wait till like until I start getting my mom loves your music, or and shit. Yeah, but but yeah, when it feels genuine and that's my that's there's like my favorite interactions with people because I have crazy imposter syndrome and I'm I'm just like, does anybody actually like.
Speaker 3: Me at all?
Speaker 1: So so it's nice when somebody's like, hey, this is this is really fucking cool or whatever, like those are normal interactions. But I know for a fact I've definitely punished people before. But but yeah, it's for the most part, it's just it's just fucking music.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: All you're saying is your music excites me and I like it. That's a great thing.
Speaker 2: That's the worst thing to say. Yeah, exactly. So here's one thing. Here's a thing that I thought we could do to make sure that this will definitely mean that we don't repeat ourselves before. We used to do this feature in our magazine. We don't do it anymore, but it's called it was called getting to Know You, and we'd send a set of questions to an artist. I'd be the same questions every I basically stole this idea from Vanity Fair. Okay, we just called it something different, but it's the same questions. We'd email them to an artist and that's filled them out and send them back like a questionnaire. Do you want to do some of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, the worst job you've had. By the way, these are probably all questions that you have been asked about a thousand times. I've just realized that in saying that out loud.
Speaker 3: But but I have an interesting answer.
Speaker 1: I have really never held a job, okay, except for weird, odd jobs. Like basically, when I graduated high school, I got cast in a commercial like almost immediately, which was incredible because then I got to because I was looking for jobs and.
Speaker 3: Apple, what yeah, you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna say like it was a local chop.
Speaker 1: Totally, no, I mean, this is the fucking weird dystopian whatever that is Los Angeles. But I was playing in bass in a punk band and somebody came up to me and was like, we do audition for this commercial and I was like, huh, you know, I mean sure, whatever, and then turns out it's like super super legit and we got it and we did it, which basically paid for me to live while making my first record, Like I didn't sign until you know, my parents don't have money, and again I didn't have a fucking job.
Speaker 3: So it was amazing.
Speaker 1: That was all.
Speaker 3: So that was definitely not the worst job I've ever had, because it was like, that's the best job it was, So it was the best job.
Speaker 2: That's better than this job? Did you totally did you have to? So in the ad it's like a TV ad. Right, yeah, did you what were what were you doing when you were playing in the back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we played and sang a Pixie song into an iPhone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was sick.
Speaker 1: And and then I was like, because I think some of the instruments had been pre recorded, and I was like, oh, I'm sure this is like, I'm sure this is uh just like some session dudes like, but they're trying to make it look like it's teenage girls. Like that's kind of shitty, but whatever. And then I met the session players and they were all women.
Speaker 3: So it was sick. But anyway, so that was great.
Speaker 1: But before that, I would busk in high school for money every weekend.
Speaker 2: This is in the market, right, yeah, like in.
Speaker 3: The arms market.
Speaker 1: I would play my guitar and put put out my guitar case and people would throw money in there.
Speaker 3: And some of it was so great.
Speaker 1: Some of it was super fun and like little kids would dance and I would try not to sing any fucked up songs or curse because I just knew like kind of an endless amount of covers and then it but but then it was also horrible, like the things that people think that they can say to you when you're standing on the street playing for free, are like insane and you just have to be kind of like nice to everybody, and you're stuck there and you're gonna, i mean just like I don't know, like grabbing at me or like standing really close behind me, like giving me advice about music. Yeah, it's just like an invitation for older men to be like heinous to you.
Speaker 2: Have you have you been asked that question about how million times?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 1: And I'm always embarrassed to be like, I never clean bathrooms or whatever. I think that's kind of rite of passage. But but yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm going to skip the next one because you definitely would have been asked that. I'm gonna ask you, what was your first big extravagance.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I think my mom got This doesn't really count because I asked for Fioran Tinian Baker boots for Christmas, which are fucking expensive, and my mom fucking got them for me for Christmas.
Speaker 3: She was kind of the queen of an amazing gift.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that.
Speaker 1: Was definitely the first extravagant thing in my life and I wore them to shit. I still have them, but they're like they make this horrifying sound. I was probably like fourteen when I got those, which is insane. Why would you get a fourteen year old expensive boots?
Speaker 2: But your moment is coming out of this podcast extremely well as the hero sheez. This is kind of a podcast for her now. Really she's hijacked it without even being here.
Speaker 1: But I saw Patti Smith and she was wearing them, and I was like, those are mine. Now, Sorry, everyone, I'm not going to rest until I give my hands on those.
Speaker 3: And then I got them for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Since you've become a millionaire rock star, what was have you bought anything? Have you? I mean, are you good at spending money? Do you? Are you a saver or you a spender?
Speaker 1: I'm a spender. I don't have that much overhead, Like I don't have very many expenses, especially in a pandemic year where I am lucky enough. I mean, I definitely would be making way more money if I were on tour, but I'm lucky enough to have at least some semblance of a job, and so I've definitely like woken up at three am and bought something super weird online. And in normal times, I like adventures, you know, like I'll go to a fancy hotel with all my friends and spend trash it is hanging out, yeah, and and and then make the bed when I'm leaving you. No, but uh yeah, I love spending money. It's it's it makes me feel good. I'm staring at like one of those dip teak candles right now. I feel like the amount of times I just am sad and I just buy dipteek candles online and then have them shipped to me and I forget, and then three days later I'm like, oh, I bought me a present.
Speaker 2: You know, those candles are kind of the height of extravagance in a way.
Speaker 3: Seriously, seriously.
Speaker 1: I also there was a tweet once that was like a mom, who's coming over tonight me and then it was a picture of one of their candles that's called few to boys. That kind of crush.
Speaker 2: Okay, next question the who would play you in a film of your life?
Speaker 3: Breelsen?
Speaker 2: Done right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean the amount of times that I get tagged in like Breelarson photos where she kind of looks like me.
Speaker 2: Is like that's that's good though, right, That's like it's good.
Speaker 1: She's hot or same with Michelle Williams. People I get Michelle Williams. Sometimes I'm like, I'll take it hot. Hot leads with awards.
Speaker 2: This is a happy one. How would you choose to die?
Speaker 1: Mm?
Speaker 3: Not knowing? Yeah, that's want someone to shoot me in the back of the head.
Speaker 2: That is that is exactly mine? Sniper.
Speaker 3: Wow, Yes, because totally it's the I.
Speaker 2: Just even if it happened right now while we were on this, I would never know who cares it would it would never have been a concern of mine at any point.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad we're on the same page on that one.
Speaker 1: Don't know how many indie rock snipers are out there, but just so you know, I'm hiring you in I don't know in.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna go there.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, like, yeah, if I have some sort of eternal illness, just like fucking I want it back in the head.
Speaker 2: What would you tell your fifteen year old self?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is so funny because I did not fifteen year old self. That's a slightly different question, but I got this question sort of a while ago where it was like, what would you tell your younger self? And I went on this huge grant about how I would tell myself that, like all men are pigs and that, and then I was like, I would tell myself which is true. I would tell myself like if someone, if an older man is like producing you or trying to sign you or do something for you, just know that you are why they are cool and they are trying to be cool with association to you. They are not cool because they fucking produced the Goo Goo dolls like before you were fucking born. Like that doesn't matter, you know what I mean? Like they are trying that's the Google dolls.
Speaker 3: They haven't done.
Speaker 1: Shit is so long, Like just just know that, like you are their next grasping at relevance and you have all the control, even though they are trying to make you feel like they have all the control and they're doing you an enormous favor. You being in the room is the only reason that anybody gives a shit about the room.
Speaker 3: So uh, I went on that big rant.
Speaker 1: And then my very sweet and older male producer who I continue to work with uh and refuse to do any projects without.
Speaker 3: His name's Tony Berg. He's a fucking legend.
Speaker 1: But he sent me a strange shot of it and was basically like what the fuck? I was like, I am definitely not talking about you, Like these are people that I like met once and then blew off, or people who sent me a shitty record contract when I was like eighteen and is not the person who I like beg to work with every time I get offered any sort of project. But he sent me like like me and quotes. So I got kind of in trouble.
Speaker 2: For Has he produced the Dolfs as well?
Speaker 3: I don't. I mean, god, I hope not.
Speaker 1: If he had, I would it would be so so funny. But I mean I wouldn't put it past them because he he's been in music forever and he also like ran Geffen Records forever, and he's worked with all kinds of funny people. But I think of him mostly as a producer.
Speaker 3: But that killed me.
Speaker 1: Like that he's like reading my interviews in the middle of the night for one, but two is like reading into this rant I went on about people I don't know anymore. Yeah, it was so funny.
Speaker 2: I think that's that is great advice for your youngest self. I mean, that does prove the fact that you have asked that already totally proves my point. There's no original question, is there? Had you been asked how sometimes how you choose to die before?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: Was it original? Right?
Speaker 3: I don't think so that was original.
Speaker 1: But sometimes when people try to get too fancy, when people try to get too fancy or like heady with questions, I'm like, I mean the true I feel like, if I were a journalist would be like, well, what do I.
Speaker 3: Actually want to know about?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And if it's like the same question, if.
Speaker 1: It's googleable whatever, But like if if you're curious about something, it's like who gives a shit?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: But sometimes I do get like grad students who are like, so, you know, the imagery of the Pelicans circling is an ancient Mayan thing about death or what.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, so should we do the Einstein's Dirty Secret stuff? Or are you sick of that?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean, I mean I've basically forgotten to segue into it. I was going to say the fifteen thing, we were going to talk about that, and then I was going to segue into that.
Speaker 1: Well, my first band was called Phoebe and the He Man He That's a name which is a great name, and then yeah, and then I had Einstein's Dirty Secret, which I'm still friends with, like all those dudes they play and like, yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: That is something we did talk about before because I had watched the live stuff. There's one live show that's on YouTube of you playing in that band when you're about seventeen, right, and you'll look kind of have like some real panic at the disco hair going on. The guys and yourself, Oh you all look great. You're wearing really good suits. It's strong. I think I'm not just saying that. I thought it was good. But what I didn't realize was you because obviously Julian Baker is a close friend of yours and you're in Boy Genius with her and all of that stuff. But I didn't realize it was her going on tour with her that made you realize, actually, that's the type of music I want to make.
Speaker 3: Totally. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: I think I sang really loud for a long time, which is funny because then I feel like I totally revolted from that and there's no loud singing whatsoever on my first record because I was like on and off tour with Julian and I just was like, oh, this is the most powerful music I've ever heard. But it was almost like musical theater when I was seventeen, you know, like Panic at the disco musical theater.
Speaker 2: So when you went on that tour with that first tour with Julian, were you on that tour doing like the panic at the disco stuff?
Speaker 3: No, no, I was.
Speaker 1: I was on tour with my drummer Marshall and just me right and we were like, you know, it was crazy to even have drums.
Speaker 3: Opening for Julian because she was totally solo.
Speaker 1: So I was pretty much like writing my first record, like all the good songs for my first record I wrote on that tour, which is crazy in retrospect because I was playing a full set of like my okay songs and then I feel like I heard Julian and was like, Oh, that's that's what I do now.
Speaker 2: Your first album was it was its birthday this week about three days ago. Yes, three years ago. The world has imploded since then. What was the day like it came out? Can you remember what it was like?
Speaker 1: You know? I think I was on tour with Connor Overst and it's funny because I told him the other day. I was like, dude, my first record came out three years ago. Fucking crazy is that because he met me way before that, because I was going to mix with Mike Mogus and that's how we met Who's in Bright Eyes. And he was like, that's so crazy because it was he had been listening to it for like a year before it came out.
Speaker 3: And he helped me sequence it.
Speaker 1: And it just just the fact that my life is so different. I had this feeling before my first record, or I really wanted it to be true, Like in my darkest, most secret moments, was like, I think my life is going to start if I can just have an album, because I really want to be a musician. But like I have this fucking seven inch with three songs on it. Nobody knows what my music sounds like. I barely know what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: I just need a record so that if someone asked.
Speaker 1: Me what I do, I don't have to like send them my SoundCloud demos or like try to explain it. I can just show them this record. And that is absolutely true. Like I feel like my life started. I started doing what I wanted. I stopped having to explain myself.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It was kind of a slow burn too, Like the label was like, we look at first week album sales and we all like laugh at it.
Speaker 3: So like nobody listened to.
Speaker 2: Your fucking record, and were you tell the number?
Speaker 1: I wasn't told the number, but they were laughing when they told me about the number. So so yeah, I mean, I've played like a hundred cap show in London.
Speaker 3: It just it's been great.
Speaker 1: It's been fucking great, Like it makes me super happy and just yeah, like everything I thought about it was true, which is I got to do what I wanted. After that, I got to make a band of my favorite people and touring and then and then I feel like this record is even better because I got way more comfortable. And yeah, so highly recommend makes you feel good about yourself.
Speaker 2: Put out a record for a record, Wait three years, it will all be fine, exactly. I like the fact that your label probably I'm guessing they told you that they were laughing at those first week numbers. Well do they tell you that fairly recently or certainly yes, quite far after the fact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet they were crying at the time.
Speaker 2: They were like, it's fine for them to tell you now, right, but totally at the time they were worried there were meetings about you. There would have been meetings about you, and yes, like, what are we going to do here?
Speaker 3: What should we do about her?
Speaker 2: I'm conscious of the fact that what that we're only recorded, we're recording this for a second time anyway, and you've got things to do, So I'm going to let you go. I was going to I don't think we're gonna we probably don't have time. But we were talking about us both being Leo's before because you just had your birthday and I just had my birthday. What was the name of the You told me about an app that can basically it's called Coastar.
Speaker 3: It's the best coast.
Speaker 2: Because I have found out the time I was born.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, you should go.
Speaker 2: Why did I need? What was the thing I needed for that? For? What did that? What was that going to tell me?
Speaker 1: It'll tell you your chart and it'll give you very bitchy notifications every day, like, let me tell you what my chart says today.
Speaker 3: Let's see. Come on.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, my I'm Leo Capricorn moon, I he's rising.
Speaker 3: What does it say today? Updates.
Speaker 1: You can't be everything for everyone. That's what mine says today Today, I feel out of control, sick. That's great news. M Yeah, but it's really cute and it looks kind of like a zine.
Speaker 2: Wow that okay, I can see that.
Speaker 1: It's very fun and uh and you can see your friends that you match with. I'm actually a perfect match with my sound guy.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, maybe we'll get married one day. Like that'll be like the story of like, do you know she's married to her sound guy.
Speaker 2: He's a catch, He's a babe.
Speaker 1: His name is Morgan. Yeah, I'm gonna lock it in. But yeah, we literally have nothing, uh in common. We have everything in common common. There is no section on here that is dissimilar from each other. We're like the same person.
Speaker 2: It's like marrying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish I would love to do because I'm a fucking.
Speaker 2: Well absolutely amen, Amen to that. Well, thanks for thanks for take two. I think it was good. I think it's good. I've been shaking that, I've been recording and hell yeah, and I just wanted to say that my girlfriend really loves your music.
Speaker 3: Well tell her I love it and I'll be over later tonight.
Speaker 2: That was such a terrible choke. I'm sorry for ending, I'm sorry for ending on that good anyway, good night,