Speaker 1: Hey everyone, and welcome to the latest edition of Dirt from the Dugout. Justin Musil Carl Ravitch, How you doing, buddy, How was the week?
Speaker 2: Oh it was good, man, it was good. You know, it's a busy time of year. Obviously, baseball is rolling. You know how it goes, Buddy, you're busy too. I know you're excited from your two under par today probably right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was not. Let's see, it was a scramble, so you can actually go under. But this was for the Miracle League in a town nearby where I live, Waterford, Connecticut. So it's again it's promoting the sport of baseball. It's for kids who need some help doing it, and just a phenomenal cause. You know who I saw there today was Raj Davis. Of course home runs and yeah the Cleveland then Indians now Guardians against the Chicago Cubs. Memorable home run. Really really a good guy. So it's good to see Raji Davis and catch up with him. It's interesting. You know, we're starting to gain some traction with Dirt from the Dugout, and you know he's involved, he was involved with Major League Baseball. He now got his own deal going where he's helping current players who are struggling and not necessarily with their skill set, but you know that a guy who's hitting one seventy is probably more capable of hitting you know, two seventy, three hundred or we're driving the ball, and he's doing a good thing here, I think, and try to assist these guys to maximize their potential as a former player, trying to tap into some of the things that can bring out their best. So it was good to talk with Raja and maybe someday we'll get him on dirt from the dugout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I mean, he's obviously pretty well known for the big home run, but.
Speaker 3: Great to hear that he's still involved.
Speaker 2: And it's always exciting when you can be involved in things that are really positive, right like that, And that's a big part of why we're doing this. And I've gotten so many dms and emails over the last two weeks with our start with this, so it's really cool to just hear from people.
Speaker 3: And that's that's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: We're just trying to reach people and teach teach a lot about the game and doing it the right way. And you know, the leadership stuff and just being a good person and all the things that I'm excited to talk to THEO about tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of our guests, theo Epstein's going to join us and in just a minute here. So we've had Mark de Rosa on, we had Roger Clemens on, and tonight we're going to have theo Epstein on. And you know, just a little background with me. I've known THEO a long time. I consider him a friend, but I consider him somebody who walks into a room and without demanding respect. He commands respect. That comes from his approachability, it comes from his education, it comes from his ability to relate to the clubby as well as the superstar player. He's very authentic, He's very human, and over the years in my dealing with him, I got a real appreciation for his eclectic nature. This is not just a one trick I'm only into baseball type of guy, and we'll learn about that over the course of the next forty five minutes. But those are the some of the things that just impressed me most about him. He's a guy that could do anything.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't like to talk about himself. I know it doesn't like to listen to what I'm saying right now, but those are all those are all truisms. And you know, I can't wait to hear his story and his journey. And it's not a conventional one. I mean, this isn't a guy that you know played at the highest level. He's not a he's not a future Hall of Fame player. He's clearly a Hall of Fame executive. So it just again shows you know, parents out there who have kids that are interested in sports, not just baseball, but all sports. There is nothing linear about the path that you are currently on, whether your child is five, fifteen or twenty two. And THEO is a great example of that, justin Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, all that, all that and more. I love that.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll talk more about this, but just with the background, he did bring in a unique approach to how baseball was done too, And uh, you know, you and I have both heard a lot of stories and and I know THEO is not interested in diving back into you know, some of the specifics of those and and uh, but there's there's a parent in there too, right, He's a dad. So it's it's gonna be really interesting to talk to him about just just his kids and and what they're doing, and and the journey there too, and and what he's passing along too.
Speaker 3: So just really excited to talk with him tonight.
Speaker 1: Rabbi, all right, let's uh, let's bring in our guest of honor tonight. He is the senior advisor part owner of Fenway Sports Group and now joins us on Dirt from the dugout. That is uh my buddy, Theo Epstein THEO. Thanks so much for doing this. We really appreciate and uh and welcome to the program.
Speaker 4: Rabbi justin, thanks so much for having me on.
Speaker 5: I've been looking forward to this, but you're trying to get me post traumatic stress disorder right off the bat by talking about Roger Davis.
Speaker 4: That's that's cool.
Speaker 1: I know I turned out well, did turn out, and I did see him today.
Speaker 3: GRAB went a little bit long on the Raja Davis thing there. I didn't know what the slant was there, and.
Speaker 5: I was getting the sweats just thinking about it. But he is a great guy and a terrific ambassador for the game. A great development story too, Yeah, working his way up to the big leagues and having the career that he had and is always looking to give back through the role at MLB and and all over the place.
Speaker 4: So we'll talk ROI anytime.
Speaker 1: Good, Uh, let's talk THEO for a second here. And I know and everybody who's watching this nose and you know you're the curse breaker, et cetera. But I know you back from your days and I didn't know you then, but I know your upbringing. Why don't you share a little bit about the the sort of the way that you got into sports and what the development of theo Epstein was really like. Not that you have to take me through to where you are today, but what it was like growing up theo Epstein.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean breaking into baseball.
Speaker 5: I was just a kid growing up kind of in the shadow Famway Park, grew up less than a mile from Famway. Was one of the tens of thousands of New Englanders who thought he was going to play shortstop for the Red Sox some day. And uh, I threw too many through way too many curve balls in uh, in Little League and in high school. So that's that's one thing we have to cover today, is to follow the protocols and save the break and stuff for when you're a little bit older because my arm was hanging.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: But what I really got it was it was elbow and shoulder by the time I got done with my high school career. So best scouting report I ever made was on myself.
Speaker 5: I got to college, took a look around and realized I couldn't Unfortunately, could couldn't compete at that level. But it ended up being the best thing for me because I was from the time I was like two years old, I was always so passionate about baseball.
Speaker 4: I was telling my parents, I'm going to stay in this game forever.
Speaker 5: And so at that point, my only options were to, you know, try to try to get a job with the team, not playing in the front office. So I wrote letters to every major league team, got a lot of action letters, got nothing crickets back from a lot of teams, but got a phone call from Calvin Hill, Grant Hill's dad, who was a great NFL player, and he was working for the Baltimore Orioles at the time, and he invited me down for an interview and interviewed. Got an internship with the Orioles summer after my freshman year in college nineteen ninety two. First year, I came the yards, kind of did a little bit of everything and just dedicated myself to because I knew it might be my one opportunity to stay in baseball. So befriended Fred Dolman Jr. And a lot of guys in the scouting department with the Orioles. Kind of like worked my way a little bit into baseball operations, did a lot of pr a lot of everything, so intern of the Orioles my three high school, my three college summers, got invited by a few of the Orioles folks who went out to the pot to work for the Padres right after the lockout in ninety four. I got a job the day after I graduated college, went out to work for the Padres. Got an unbelievable breakout there, getting mentored by Kevin Towers, who at the time was just taking over. He was a young general manager of the Padres, and he was also newly married, and so he took a liking to me because he was kind of like getting domesticated, and I was.
Speaker 4: Twenty one years old right out of college.
Speaker 5: So he called me in his office every Monday morning and say THEO tell me everything I missed this weekend.
Speaker 4: And that's how we kind of hit it off. But he saw something in me.
Speaker 5: I think it was just my passion for the game, and he would you know, we were in southern California, so he was like, hey, do you know how to scout?
Speaker 4: I said, no, I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean I watched a ton of baseball I played through high school. I still try to play when I can, but no, And so he took me under his wing. He'd just take me out all over southern California. We saw every good player in the Pac Ten. We'd go see every good high school kid up and down southern California, and he kind of teach me how to scout, and then he and then he'd take me down to the I didn't even realize he was doing this at the time, but he'd take me down to the clubhouse with him and teach me how players really think, and what what clubhouse dynamics are all about, and what what a winning player looks like, and what a good teammate looks like. And throughout the whole rest of my career. Really, everywhere i'd go after I set out on my own left the Padres, I'd meet people who I'd find out later on Kevin had called ahead and my vout form.
Speaker 4: Really he was a good guy.
Speaker 5: Make sure you treat them right and yeah, unbelievable mentor to have. So Anyway, long story short, padres to Red Sox, Red Sox to Cubs and here we are.
Speaker 1: So well, there's a there's a million things to cover there, and I know Justin wants to get into the scouting side of it. But before we I just want to focus on what you said about rejection letters, because I think this speaks to the entire pursuit of whatever it is that you're after. I mean, i'd be honest with you THEO I started in a cable station in Ithaca and and tried so hard to find jobs, whether it be Springfield, mass or all but any it didn't matter. And it was like hitting a golf ball into a lake when you'd send out what back then was called resume tapes. I mean, I have a rejection letter. It's wider than the Yellow Pages, which I know people who are listening to this don't even know what they held the Yellow Pages are, but let's just say it was. It was thick. So what are the qualities that afforded you the opportunity to plow through the rejection letters. And I'm sure it connects with all the players you had who fail all the time and keep plowing through.
Speaker 4: What is that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you've drawn the first and most important parallel between life and baseball, which is, it's not whether you get a bad outcome, whether you fail, or whether you face adversity, because you absolutely will. It's it's built into the games. It's innate in the game of baseball failure and in life. There's no such thing as an easy path in life. If you dig deep enough, I like to say when we're talking about players in their backgrounds, it's true of all of us. Like if you dig deep enough, everyone's life is like a Russian novel. You know, there's there's there's always adversity, there's always failures, there's always disappointments, there's always times you disappoint yourself. But it's in baseball in life, it's it's it's how you handle failure, how you handle adversity, And that's something that sometimes you have to learn.
Speaker 4: And I think you've learned that through.
Speaker 5: Observation of others, role models, and then also through not handling it the right way. But you know with time, I think in maturity, if you focus on it, you can develop enough self awareness.
Speaker 4: That's the most important relationship you ultimately have is.
Speaker 5: Kind of with yourself and and and and learning to be honest with yourself. Develop enough self awareness where you can take responsibility for your failures, where you can understand your foundation as a person, as a player, what makes you you, what your strengths are, and then also what your weaknesses are, and then come up with a plan not by yourself, but taking advantage of the resources around you uh to turn those weaknesses into strengths and develop. And then the perseverance, which is just not accepting failure and continuing to come back again and again and again as you work on your adjustments, which is what professional baseball is all about, until you ultimately get a different outcome. So so many parallels between baseball and life. I I, yeah, I got rejection letters, but I had I had one person and then ultimately you know a number of who believe.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's all it takes.
Speaker 5: And then recognizing an opportunity when when you see one, and dedicating yourself to it, and if you're lucky enough, a lot of people watching this podcast, are lucky enough to know their passion and know what's important to them, and know what you care about, and you made a great choice if baseball is a part of that, because this game can open so many doors for you. You can you can meet so many incredible people. You can make a life for yourself, not just a living but a fulfilling life where you ultimately can be connected with people in a special way that we often lose after childhood and you go off, you know, into a career. You're an account and your lawyer, you're counting widgets at a factor or whatever it may be. Oftentimes it can be solitary, but in baseball you're always connected. One of the things I love about the game. It gives you a chance to be to feel like you're part of something bigger than yourself. Every day you go to the ballpark, whether you're working in the front office, whether you're part of the team in the clubhouse, when you're grinding your way up through amateur ball, through the minor leagues, you're you're part of a team. And if it's done right, and you take that responsibility and teammate of being a teammate seriously, you get that privilege of feeling like you're part of something bigger than yourself, and that's when great things happen for the collective as well as for yourself and your own development. So if you're lucky enough to have identified that passion early on, lean into it, you know, lean into it, take really seriously the things that you can do to handle the failure in this game, and make the self assessments just I prove and persevere and continue to succeed in the game.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, Yeah, so good, It's so good.
Speaker 2: THEO and I just want to remind everybody, if you have any questions, go ahead and throw them, throw them in the Q and A chat or in the Q and A and we'll get to those. But the I want to go back to the scouting side. Man. This is it's super interesting because it's such an it's such an important part of an organization, right, And I think in all of the things that I'll just share my beliefs, I guess, but I think it gets lost in the chatter a little bit of where we're going, which I'm also supportive of. But I know you specifically, just having read some some things about you. It's such an it's such an important piece of it for you and your success and now hearing kind of some of the things that you went through to learn a lot of those things and to dive into the scouting side. Can you just touch on that a little bit on the scouting world and and scouting departments in general and the lifeblood per se that they are when it comes to building a franchise.
Speaker 3: Do you want to just touch on that a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's it's probably an important time in the game to touch on that because we're right now, we're a little bit out of balance.
Speaker 4: You know, there's an equilibrium in the game where.
Speaker 5: Yeah, data is important, analytics and important, technology is important, and you can use those tools to help you make good predictions about how players are going to perform in the future.
Speaker 4: But if it's done at the exclusion of the human element, and.
Speaker 5: You know, the humanism essentially human beings getting to know other people, understanding what makes them tick, developing a connection with them, understanding them better that way, and putting them in a position to succeed, then it's not worth it. And you can you can you can fall out of balance, and and so you know, in some circles.
Speaker 4: They are you know, scouting and.
Speaker 5: Invest in and and seeing beyond the stats feet, seeing beyond the predictive model, and understanding you know, what really makes a person tick as a as a human, as a teammate and as a player. Is becoming a bit of a lost art and it really is the lifeblood. And I think one one one thing that's important I think for young players, youth players to know and parents to know, is that you know in the draft room. Yes, sure, most teams use models these days to to help understand, you know, players talent level and make a projection about his future. There are a lot of measurables obviously in the game these days, far far more than than there used to be, and those have a place and those are important. But even today, even with all the advancements, I think parents and young players would be shocked and how much of the conversation about a player in the draft room, And this is true in college recruiting circles as well. I know how much of the conversation revolves around everything off the field and who that player is as a human being, what kind of teammate they are. Matt Dory, your friend Justin Will tell you time and time again. You know, we wouldn't draft a player back in the Red Sox days and in the Cubs days without the scout putting in pages and pages and pages of background information about the player, about what makes.
Speaker 4: Him who he is.
Speaker 5: So you know, three examples when the players face adversity off the field and how he responded. Three examples of how the players face adversity on the field and how he responded. What his teammates say about him, what his friends say about him, what his girlfriends say about him, What does ex girlfriends say about him? How he treats people when no one's looking, how he treats the worst player on the tream, how he treats the equipment guy. Does he act different in front of the camera when he's not in front of the camera. Everything, obviously, everything that goes on in the house that you can find out, the family upbringing, all the things that make an individual unique and that ultimately represent his character. That's so important when when you're trying to predict the type of player, the type of member of an organization, this individual is going to be five ten years down the line. And obviously scouting and scouts do such a good job of writing that part of the story. That's something that you know, no predictive model can tell you. So we just have to make sure the game stays in proper equilibrium, that we're balancing, you know, both sides of the equation, the analytical side as well as the human side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a solid goal, that answer. And I think for parents of players that are you know, let's just say they're between the ages of seven and twelve right now, this idea that you're not spinning it, you're not throwing it as hard as you possibly can, and your exit lunacy like exit velocity on an eleven year old makes no sense. But all these character traits can be instilled in these boys and girls, if you will, that are growing up and playing these sports. Where did you get that stuff from? Where did it come from? Was it as simple as mom and dad were? Were there kg's out there? Where'd you get it?
Speaker 5: Well, let's let me ask that in a minute. First, kind I just dig in on like the measurables you just talked about.
Speaker 4: And young kids.
Speaker 5: I've seen this through my own kids at practice, and just like such young players chasing vlow and spin ray and exit v low and hitting exclusively off hit tracks and stuff.
Speaker 4: I think what's important. There is a place for that.
Speaker 5: It is important if you want to develop a skill, understanding the components that go into that skill and then training for them.
Speaker 4: That's that's common sense.
Speaker 5: And and you know, there are a lot of advances, and I think in general we trained smarter now than we used to. However, there's a cost associated with that too, especially if you start at too young an age, Because anytime you're chasing something, whether it's velo or spin or exit velo, when you're chasing something and so you're training for it and you're optimizing for it, and you're teaching your body to produce it in a certain way, you're also ignoring a lot of other things that aren't measured quite as precisely just yet. And so a great example if you think back to just you know, think about what scouting was like before the radar gun, right before you could precisely measure velocity. When a scout would write or report and he'd describe the picture's fastball, he'd write about the velocity, he'd describe it, but he'd also he'd balance that and you'd also write about the deception and the command and the movement and everything else that goes into a great fastball. And back before the raidar gun, we probably had it in better proportion. We're a better balance, and velocity is important, but so is command, so is deception, so is moving. And then once technology came along and we had the raidar gun, there became an over reliance on velocity, where now a scout could just describe the fastball, Hey, you know, he tops out at ninety three point four, I'm gonna put him ahead of this other guy who's ninety three point two. And what's lost in the conversation or what do you sort of unintentionally ignoring everything else that makes a good fastball, the.
Speaker 4: Command, reception, the velocity.
Speaker 5: And so this now sort of extrapolate that to the development of a young player. And we are training for certain outcomes that are very precisely measured, and so we obsess over them. But just think for a second about what else you're ignoring in that pursuit all the other components that go into playing the game the right way, important baseball skills, and then yeah, the whole human side of you know, training yourself to be a good teammate, training yourself to have like a you know, a sound mental foundation that you can fall back on, you know, to play the game successfully and deal with failure successfully and be a good teammate.
Speaker 4: So it's just it's.
Speaker 5: Important to even as you chase certain things that are measured and we use technology in our training, don't lose sight of the bigger picture. And other things can be important too, even if they're not precisely measurable.
Speaker 4: So it's had to kind of get that.
Speaker 1: No, it's a good point. Your point is it's in ignoring it or sacrificing the development of other you know, characteristics, quality skills. This is the multi sport versus let's focus on one, and if you focus on one, you sacrifice the others, which could benefit the whole package.
Speaker 5: But I hear you dynamic about Yeah, play play difference. It's a lot healthier. I'm sure every guest has mentioned this. But play as many sports as you can. Please, play three sports for as long as you can. It'll it'll help your body, it'll help your mind, it'll maintain your love and passion for the game longer as you don't experience mental burnout or physical burnout. That way, it will help you develop as an athlete as well and teach you a lot of lessons.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you're you're definitely right.
Speaker 5: But you asked sort of where where I've I guess, developed a certain outlook on what's important in the game, on on the field and off the field. You know, I'll give my dad a ton of credit. Today is actually the one year anniversary of his of his passing unfortunately, so we've been we've been celebrating him today. But yeah, some of my earliest memories are going to Famiway Park with him, and him and my twin brother and my dad kind of teaching us what do you call the finer points of the game, and and and sitting out there and as a young young kid looking out at the field of Family Park and just ryan to find something that I could notice about the strategy of the game, or something I thought was going to happen on the field, or something I noticed a player do that I could I could tell my dad and kind of impress him and get awarded a finer point that he would he would bestow upon me. And then and he'd, you know, he'd show up. He was the English professor and a novelist. So he'd show up to every single one of my games. He was the only one sitting there reading the New York Review of Books and oftentimes during the innings.
Speaker 4: But I'd come off.
Speaker 5: The field no matter, no matter what he would he would tell me that was a major league curveball right there, that that was you know, no one, you know, no one could have made Glenn Hoffman couldn't have made that play in the hole. Just incredibly positive, no matter no matter what was going on on the field, and just you know, to have have that solid foundation from your parents where they're fueling your love of the game without forcing it on you.
Speaker 4: Where there's unconditional.
Speaker 5: Love and support, I think is like the foundation the building block that kids need to then find their own way in the game.
Speaker 1: And positive reinforcement, like your dad said, positive reinforcement.
Speaker 4: Come on, there's gonna be enough negative feedback. The game is.
Speaker 5: Humbling enough, there's getting right enough vals out there. You don't you don't need that from the place where you kind of look for unconditional support, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, THEO I'm gonna I'm gonna switch gears on you a little bit here. There's been a viral video right with Anthony Rizzo and and Ross and Lester kind of sharing a story about a.
Speaker 3: Negotiation at two AM.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: We won't get into the details on that, but you know, after kind of watching something like that, I think it creates a personal element of it, of humanizing people in charge and leadership and things like that that I really loved about it. And I think that's one of the things that's kind of endearing about the whole story is just it's there. There are things that happen behind the scenes that a lot of people don't see, right, But I will love your version of that story. You've probably heard it and listened to it. What's your version of that story?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll tell you first. I'll say you're You're so right. The game is all about relationships. And I'll be the first to admit, like when I when I first took over as GM of the Red Sox, I was twenty eight, I probably relied too much on being transactional with how I was putting the team together and the decisions I was making, and didn't invest enough time because I was kind of underwater. I was just trying to drink it from fire hose and just trying to figure it all out. I didn't invest in enough time in getting to know the players and being real with them and being human, and I quickly realized that I was sort of cheating myself and cheating the organization.
Speaker 4: And no matter, no matter what, no matter.
Speaker 5: How busy I was, I needed to find time to just be around and get and get to know the guys and be there for them and be supportive, be honest, which is another lesson I learned. But develop relationships, and it's everything in the game, it's what those connections are what make a winning organization, and then they can make your career too, like you know, if you do it right, and you know justin for me in the game and Raby too. You operate this way even from a media perspective, like if you develop authentic, real relationships, you're constantly all day long, it's picking up the phone calling people, checking in on them and get and if you have a question about a player or a situation or a team, like you're constantly getting great information because you've developed these real relationships and trusting relationships that sort of mean mean everything. But so you know that story that was you know, a couple of guys I'd just gotten to know over the years from from being on the same side with them. John Lester I was there in the two thousand and two draft when we when we chose.
Speaker 4: This lanky, left handed pitcher and first.
Speaker 5: Baseman out of Washington and John Lester, and people think he's from like the South because he's like a self prescribed Redneck, and he does as far away from the South as you can get. But getting getting getting to know him as as a young player, and then obviously the character that he showed overcoming cancer in his in his rookie year in the big leagues and coming back and and and pitching the decisive game in the World Series, and just the type of leader and teammate. He's one of the most generous players with his time and his money, and how thoughtful he is helping young players break in, setting a great example and creating that team Dyna Max. So he's one I would do anything for. And then you know, one thing John can't do is is control the running game and and.
Speaker 4: Throw the first base. So he was someone who always needed his personal pitcher.
Speaker 5: So when we were signing John as a free agent with the Cubs, which was a great feeling because when you're invest that much in a starting pitcher, having personal history with him, you know how we take care of himself, how he trains so seriously. He takes things you're betting on the health and the human being. It was great to sign John. We were out celebrating that night in Chicago after signing him, and he started asking again about our backup catcher situation, and we kind of already knew he was going to want David Ross, who handles him great and controls the running game so well, to come and be a backup and kind of be a bit of a personal catcher form.
Speaker 4: And we thought it was a good idea. I mean, we had a young team in Chicago at.
Speaker 5: The time and going into the twenty fifteen season. What was going to finish that team off were the right veteran leaders who understood the ingredients that create a winning environment and are thoughtful in creating that type of culture around the team, not letting any player get out on their own, fostering team dinner, cret having team dinners to foster connection, being holding players accountable on the front step of the dugout when they don't run out of the ground ball, and.
Speaker 4: That was ROSSI to a t.
Speaker 5: So Lester was saying, hey, we should sign Rossie. He said, yeah, of course we should. We're working on it, and then went out for a couple of adult beverages. And John's not the most patient individual in the world, so he got Ross on the phone.
Speaker 4: Next thing you know, he's negotiating that contract.
Speaker 5: I wasn't getting to get on the phone and go around the agent's back, but I was willing to give hand signals.
Speaker 4: About how far we'd go on the contract.
Speaker 5: It was easy to hold the line doing it that way, and so Lester ended up negotiating that that two year, five million dollars deal for David Ross. We all we were all having cocktails again a couple of years later celebrate in the World Series.
Speaker 4: So it worked out.
Speaker 1: Did he get did he get the suite? Did he get the sweet that he was asking fortune?
Speaker 5: Yeah, game in the suite on the road, which we were happy to give him because, you know, being a veteran he was he earned it. But also that's where players would assemble and hang out and talk baseball, and rather them be up in David Ross's sweet and be out somewhere else.
Speaker 1: That's a great story. We got about twenty five minutes left here. Twenty minutes left, so we're going to get some questions here. Speaking of relationships, this is obviously front and center. But the question comes from Adam. What do you hope MLB and the Players Association can agree on during the negotiations this winter?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I can't, I can't talk in too much detail about it, but I think agree is the key word there is that Obviously, the history of the history of labor relations in baseball, there's just been you know, too much of being on opposite sides of the table. And ultimately, you know, if we could find a way to get a deal done and become partners and in growing the game and growing the pie, that that's really, you know, ultimate, the most important thing in the long run, because you know, if you look at what what are the commonalities between people who own baseball teams and people who play professional baseballs the love of the game and and and there's so much interest that they have both you know, pecuniary interest as well as emotional interest in like the health of the game. Yet the sides, you know, the way things have evolved, the sides have obviously been, it's been a lack of trust and a bit of a toxic relationship. So whatever the outcome is and however we reach agreement, I hope that it is a deal that aligns everyone's interests in a real clear way, so that there's collaboration, synergy, and ultimately partnership in creating the healthiest possible sport, the widest, you know, the biggest possible tent, so that everyone who loves the game. And baseball means different things to different people.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a.
Speaker 5: Livelihood for for some, it's a hobby. For others, is playing catch with your dad. To others, it's going to games, it's playing the little league. It means so many different things to so many different people. Some people watch every game, some tune and every now and then. But that everyone who who who cares about the game and loves the game can see the best possible version of the sport and everyone sort of aligned to grow the game because we're we shouldn't be in competition with one another. We're really in competition with football, basketball, all the other sports out there, with the iPhone, with Netflix and streamers, everyone who algorithms, everyone who's fighting for your attention and what's really become like an attention economy and your time and your attention or your most valuable assets. Everyone's fighting for it and some of those, you know, some of the things that grab your attention aren't the most healthy and productive. And and i'd rather you spend your time ultimately watching baseball and when when the game is healthy, I think our country is healthy because there's so many lessons to be learned in this game.
Speaker 4: So I just hope we can agree and find a partnership.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like when people watch the game too. That's a very good answer to you.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know you mentioned the word You mentioned the word trust. And I'm curious when it comes to building championship teams for the people that are on this and the parents out there, what are what are the commonalities in traits and qualities and where does trust rank on that when you're considering how you want to build a championship team clubhouse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, trust means a lot of different things. One way to answer that is like, as as as someone is putting a team together or putting an organization, trying to build a championship organization, there's nothing more important than than players that ultimately you can trust two.
Speaker 4: Do myriad things.
Speaker 5: One players that you can try us to put the team first over you know, put the team interest, the collective interests, organizational interests, sometimes above their own individual interests. Players that you can trust to care about their teammates. Players that you can trust to have good habits and take care of their bodies and get their sleep and eat right. And players they can trust to train hard. Players that you can trust to be honest with themselves and and and and to be open to feedback and open to partnership. Players that you can trust to have a growth mindset and constantly be striving to be better. So when you have those players you can trust to post and play and show up and when when things get difficult, not not find a way out, but take take responsibility and dig in deeper and and and find a way to be there for.
Speaker 4: Their teammates and for the team.
Speaker 5: So that kind of trust is hugely important, and it cuts both ways too. I learned this lesson from Craig Shipley, who was on we talked about the Padres. He was an infielder on those Padres teams in the late nineties and I learned the importance.
Speaker 4: Of of of.
Speaker 5: Complete honesty and candor and transparency with players in order to develop trust. And I was sitting there in the dugout before banning practice and Ship and I were talking about something and he was kind of explaining why a certain player.
Speaker 4: Was upset with management.
Speaker 5: I didn't get it, and he remember, he looked me right in the eye, almost like look right through me, and said, like THEO, don't you understand every player out there?
Speaker 4: And he pointed out on the field for batting practice.
Speaker 5: Every player out there has been lied to by management at some point in their career or feels like they've been lied to. And it just kind of shook me because I'd never I never thought about, you know, that sentiment, and he obviously was, he felt it and he meant it. And I said to myself right then and there, and ultimately I said to Ship, as if I have, if I'm ever lucky enough to be part of running an organization, I'm just going to make sure we absolutely tell the truth at all times to all players, even if even when it's inconvenient ors things they don't want to hear. It's just so important that you're honest with your your your feedback. You're honest in contract negotiations, You're honest with where they stand. You're honest about their development and and and and that's where individual player development plans came from.
Speaker 4: And making sure.
Speaker 5: You document the feedback and that there's buy in and and that type of honesty is what's what's essential to building trust that goes both ways and as mutual and if you if you have it go in both directions.
Speaker 4: If you have players that you can trust to do the right.
Speaker 5: Things that we just articulated, and you've got players kind of trusting their leadership both with their manager and uh, the GM and the ownership, you're you're gonna have a winning organization for a long time.
Speaker 3: Good Yeah, so good man, so good.
Speaker 2: And and THEO I guess since we kind of like move away from you know, getting to back to youth sports here, I guess, and Cooper has a good question here that I really like, But what are your thoughts on private equity? You know, this is a loaded question, right, and this is we're getting we're going down this road, I guess, And it's kind of a newer thing in the in the last couple of years, right where a lot of private equities built buying up club teams, right and getting large groups of club teams that they own. Uh, just in general. Cooper brought this up, and I think it's a good question. But do you think it's bad for the future of youth sports and what would you do to correct it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's funny you asked that because I actually have a part time gig with Arctos Partners that does private equity, but only at the professional level. They buy minority interests in Major League Baseball teams and NFL teams and and HL teams, NBA teams, et cetera. And but since I'm in those circles, I've I've certainly come across, you know, private equities involvement in in youth sports, and I agree with it. Was a Cooper with his his concerns that it's it's it's can be a bit scary that obviously, you know, private equity gets involved in in in in order to maximize profit, and you know, the youth sports landscape has changed dramatically from when I was growing up.
Speaker 4: It's it's you know, it's it's.
Speaker 5: It's a lot more involved, it's a lot more expensive, there's sort of this massive fomo involved where it used to be pretty simple.
Speaker 4: You play in your house little league.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe you'd be lucky enough to find a coach that you believe in, and and and and and le know him takes some lessons, And now it's you know you, every time you pick up your phone, you feel like you're missing out on the next big thing. And if I'm not doing this, and mom and dad aren't paying for this, and I'm on this travel team, I'm missing out. And you know, some of that is well intentioned. There's a lot of people who want to help, but then there's also a lot of money to be made in youth sports or else you wouldn't see the type of capital running into it, and there would private equity, you wouldn't be involved. So I think this is a good reminder for parents. Obviously you don't have to sort of get involved in the understand what the cap table is, or get involved in the private equity component at all, but just ask yourself the people that you're potentially getting involved with, who are running your programs or your trainers, your coaches, your lessons, or like, what are they in it for?
Speaker 4: What are they in it for And I think I think we have good.
Speaker 5: Radars as parents about the people working with our kids, is like, are they in it for the right reason?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 5: Are they in it to make my kids better? Or they're trying to make a quick buck. And look, obviously everyone's got to make a living and it's part of it, and it's a competitive landscape out there. But I would just parents to kind of trust trust their instincts. On a micro level, be selective with who your kids are around and trying to grow in the game of baseball. And I think if you follow your instincts, you'll end up in a good place. On the macro level, Yeah, it's important that we not prioritize. You know, capitalism is a pretty powerful thing, but not everything should be optimized for profit. And use sports trolley very much in that category.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one this this question. I'm sure I know you get this one often. I do think that Mark's question is a little bit different because it doesn't ask you to pick whether the Red Sox or the Cubs sort of curse was your favorite. It more ass which one felt like a greater feat And uh, I think that seems like it's one that you could probably come up with an answer as opposed to saying they both great. We know that which was the great.
Speaker 5: Answer because it says which one felt like a greater feat and they wish was a greater feat. So I could be honest with the Cubs, one felt like a greater feat just because of where I was in my life at the time. So with the Red Sox, you know, I was I was thirty years old, I was single.
Speaker 4: We had you, you were around Rabbit.
Speaker 5: You know, we had like a tight knit front office, but we were all kind of working hard and playing hard. And everything happened so fast in two thousand and three and two thousand and four, the whole ride through the four postseason, falling down to the Yankees three games to nothing, then coming back and sweeping the World Series. It felt like, you know, like a wild night out with your friends. That it takes all these twisted turns and you know you're not even sure what's going on, and you don't even remember a lot of it. You know, look at looking back on it to these days, to this day, I see highlights, I'm like, oh, yeah, I remember that, because it was impossible to fully appreciate in the moment. I hadn't fully paid my dues yet I was still still so young in an experience by the time I got to Chicago and twenty sixteen out. At that point, I had two kids, had a wife, and I got I had the privilege of well, and I knew how hard it was. You know, we'd been through a five year plan rebuild with the Cubs. I had better perspective on the game and how lucky you have to be too, you know, to be fortunate to stay healthy and have a successful regular season and win a few series in the postseason, even get a chance, you know, to compete on the biggest stage in the Fall Classic. And I had the privilege of having my then eight year old son with me for those World Series games. And you know, if you go back and look at the footage of Game seven, you can kind of see him there sitting right next to me. And I got to watch the game not through the cynical eyes of a veteran general manager at that point, but through the innocent eyes of an eight year old kid who, you know, his favorite team had a chance to win the World Series. So I had greater appreciation for how fortunate I was and how how big a feat that was, and what that championship would mean to so many people, having experienced the Red Sox one and knowing that if I was really fortunate, I could again play a small part in bringing so much joy to so many people in a way that really mattered, that connected generations, and that was intimate for families, and that just meant so much and resonated so Yeah, that one, in the moment, absolutely felt more just because I was able to, you know, see it, see the game through through through more of your eyes, and experience it through the innocent eyes of my eight year old son who's now eighteen and about to go off to college.
Speaker 1: But that experience, yeah, congratulations on that. A little less interested at eighteen years old than at eight years old, but well.
Speaker 3: Shit, yeah, great stuff, great stuff to you.
Speaker 2: And I think when you you just kind of brought something up that that I like to do in a I like to venture out and just watch little, random, littleague games of driving by where I just will pull over and just stop.
Speaker 5: It's such good medicine. I did that the other day. I was I was back in Boston and I went out for a run. On my way back. I was sucking win to begin with. But on the way back, I passed Mile literally Field and there was a literal league game going on.
Speaker 4: So I just I just sat and watched a couple of innings.
Speaker 5: And man, you just you just leave there, you leave, you leave a couple of innings, a little game, but such great appreciation for getting to work in baseball, for everyone who's involved in the game at every single level, and what it means to you. And it just brings you back to, you know, to your time starting.
Speaker 4: Out in the game. So it is good.
Speaker 5: It is a great medicine for a tough loss or a tough season to go do that.
Speaker 3: I agree it fills you up.
Speaker 1: But I can tell you having done all three of those World Series, Major League, college and Little league literally blows them all away. I'm sorry, it just it blows them all away. For literally every reason that you've sort of discussed tonight before we let you go. We do this thing called the kitchen sink. I know you can appreciate that from a pitching perspective. There's just four quick questions that really don't have much to do with baseball that kind of shed some more light onto who THEO Webstein is. I guess the first one I'd ask, and I think we all have this particular person feel best athlete that you remember growing up with, either being a teammate or competing against. That name is always at the top of your head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll go with Eric White, who is actually not not baseball, but it was. It was soccer, and he was the one kid who was just sort of standard deviations above everybody else and could do things with his left foot that we couldn't dream of doing with our right and seemed like ungodly.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Then you get at older and maybe it wasn't that special. You just weren't very good, so everyone seemed like he was incredible.
Speaker 4: But that's the one. And then I'll give you a baseball one.
Speaker 5: David Piken, who hopefully he watches this still living in the Boston area. But David Pike, and it went by. Spike was the kid who hit puberty a couple of years before.
Speaker 4: The rest of us. So okay, big strong and harryt.
Speaker 5: And was hitting hitting tanks that just seemed like they never came down, and we were all scared to pitch to them.
Speaker 4: So it was good. Good to have Spike on your side and not have to face someone someone else.
Speaker 1: I went to UH. I went to school at Nieda, Massachusetts. One of my classmates was at that name Sonny Pandia, who became Snita Williams, who went up in a rocket. And I was just with some guys today from Electric Boat. They built submarines for you. If you could get into one. Are you getting in a rocket or a submarine?
Speaker 4: I'd probably get in a rocket, yeah, I just I don't. I don't. I don't like being I guess they're both kind.
Speaker 5: Of confining, but something else confined and underwater. And after living reading about that was a deep water horizons, as I was called, I think I want no part of.
Speaker 4: Professional or especially amateur ones.
Speaker 1: I know you have a great loaf of music. If you could go back in time and sit with some musician, who would it be.
Speaker 5: I'll give you two answers, like maybe maybe Jimmy Hendrix right after he went to London was kind of bursting on the scene.
Speaker 4: That'd be pretty fun. And then I'd like.
Speaker 5: To hang out with the Stones at Melcote in the summer of seventy one. It seems seems like that would be that would be a pretty good time, make an exile on Main Street.
Speaker 4: That'd be fun to hang awesome.
Speaker 1: And then lastly, is there is there a Is there a dream job that you still would like to pursue and perhaps land in any facet of life.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think I've kind of got the dream job of you know, the one that you have to appreciate the most is being dad, you know, and that's the one that you can't go back and do it again.
Speaker 4: You can't sign up for another go around. So kind of kind of in the dream job now.
Speaker 5: And then I'm so lucky that I get to get to stay in sports with a couple of these side gigs I have, and even a connection to baseball with the Red Sox and some of the work I was lucky enough to do it Major League Baseballs and things like this, So I know I got a pretty good balance going on right now.
Speaker 4: I couldn't. I've been real lucky, so I couldn't ask for anything more than I want to have.
Speaker 1: I'll paraphrase Ja Man's question where he says, do you what do you think about the state of the Red Sox? Where are you right now with regards to the optimism? Can things turn around for them. I'm not going to get into the specifics of the question about Bregman and Breslo and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's.
Speaker 1: Appropriate for this forum. But just the Red Sox, you know, the passion the fan base has.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've done a really good job of staying out of the media the conversation around the team. That's one of the cool things about just get being an advisors. I can kind of get my opinion and I don't have to be part of the public conversation. But I'll say I was actually the first couple of minutes I was watching the Red Sox to clean up with a look like a get three to one win. I'll say the pitching and defense have been fantastic and actually obviously everyone and that's.
Speaker 4: Not an easy feat.
Speaker 5: Right to have that foundation now, you know, having to figure out the offense and fix it mid stream is important, but yeah, there's something to build around with the pitching and defense, and I know Bras and the guys are hard at work on fixing the offense.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, man, I know we can't thank you enough. You're a good friend, and I appreciate the time you give here. I certainly uh want to wish you and uh, justin I speak for him as well. You know, sympathies to your daddy. Year. This is a significant date in your life. I know how important Leslie was to you, so uh and I know this in a matter of time and it won't be a short time. But there's so much more to get to with somebody like you. We'd love to we'd love to have a reservation for you down the road again to come back all of us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got it. Well, congrats on on this project. It's it's filling in important void in the industry. And hope a lot of people tune in and I'll be tuning in in the future to get you know, to get great advice on the right way to develop young young baseball players. And as I said, you know, when when baseball is healthy, our country is healthy.
Speaker 4: So you guys are doing the service. I appreciate it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks here, you're good man. Thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: I love the sound effects.
Speaker 1: He deserves a standing ovation for a long time. But again, my goodness, there were so many golden nuggets that came out there and so many more things. He's just again I think we started this whole show talking about how authentic and well thought out he is in his answers, and he proved it over the course of an hour here with our with our teammates on dirt and the dugout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's just so much to talk about with him, right and and uh, the thought and thought provoking sort of conversation that you can get when you talk to THEO is something that I really looked forward to going into this and I enjoyed every minute of it, right, I mean, there's so many things you can talk to him about, just genuinely a good human which when you talk to people around him that worked with him, and the way he went about his business.
Speaker 3: He cares about people.
Speaker 2: And I was going to ask him about this, but I talked to someone who had worked for him one time and worked with him, i should say, in one of the organizations, and they were talking about how THEO would go and talk to someone in the concessions area who was working and he would have conversations with them, and he would go talk to the janitor and he'd go and he would treat everybody very well. And his goal was to understand an organizational level, all of the people. He wanted to know all of them, and that was That's something that I've taken personally. I read that story a while ago, and in the things that I've led in my career, I've really taken that and really tried to implement that into my life and just pay attention to people and talk with them and get to know them. And just so many great things here, Abby, so many life lessons, right, I mean, we could go on and on, but what a great conversation, Bud.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think lastly for me, you know, he said so many important, insightful things. But I do think that you know, his relationship with his parents, his father, and the real emphasis that he put on the unconditional love and support. I mean, how many times have we been at games where we've seen parents react to their child struggling, failing, making a mistake in a way that doesn't engender any feelings of support or love. And that was that was That's probably what will resonate most with me, is when he came off the field, the dad always had positive comment for him, even after maybe he had he had done something in the in the field that would lead to the other team getting a base runner or scoring a run. I think that's as valuable a lesson from tonight in a million valuable lessons that we can take. I really enjoyed that part of what he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I mean just just all of that, right, the lessons there, and just the conversation around youth sports, right, and around baseball and what it's supposed to be and hearing someone who led two organizations to World Series championships talking about, you know, the importance of being a multi sport athlete, or the importance of just knowing where you're at and trying to get better with where you're at and not focusing too much on anything specifically so you don't distract yourself, you know, from some of the other things, right. I mean, it's just it's it's unbelievable advice, and that's what we're all about on these man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a good man and a reminder. Next week, we will be on on the twenty six Next week, of course, Memorial Day, So we'll be on Tuesday evening at nine o'clock Eastern time, eight o'clock Central time, and we'll have on one of the great college coaches out there today his name is Jim Schlasnagel. He took a whole bunch of teams from TCU to Omaha and the College World Series and now he's the headman at Texas. So we'll get into scouting, We'll get into recruiting. We'll get into the regionals and super Regionals. That's all coming up next week. On Dirt from the Dugout is Jim Schlasnagel will join us. Justin. Terrific job man three for three so far. In a reminder to everybody out there, join our growing community today. Become a teammate on Dirt from the Dugout. You get that live access. We appreciate the questions Tonight Baseball Recruiting Confidential, which is the live access to the best college coaches. You can learn about the recruiting process. No one knows the recruiting process better than Justin. You could ask Justin to me questions anytime. The clubhouse conversations where you get to talk with other baseball parents on their journey and learn from the communities. We really appreciate you joining us on the parent Dougleat. We'll see you again again next Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Justin.
Speaker 1: Take care everybody