Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Hi John, Hi, listen. We're talking in the middle of the week, and there's been a lot of fuss over the last few weeks, a lot of volatility, lots of seteria lots we're talking about bear markets, lots of people complaining about their four O n ks, et cetera, et cetera. So I have just had a quick look and guess that's for me. Okay, over the last twelve months. What's the change in the S and P five hundred?
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's not going to be connection toory. We call it about six seven percent actually.
Speaker 1: Over seven percent up. Also over seven percent up the last twelve months. Yes, yes, I'm going to double check that in real time for you, okay, because I have access to a Bloomberg terminal, and here we are. NASADAC Composite Index year to date not so good, down twelve point two seven percent over the last twelve months, plus seven point ninety three percent. So if you are just an ordinary person who doesn't trade in and out all the time, isn't just directly watching finance Telly, et cetera, you have eight percent more money if you're invested in the US than you did twelve months ago. Can we just say this is all a great, big clus fair nothing or is that a little simplastic.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit simplistic, but it's not, hye simplastic, you know when you think about it, you know, yeah, I mean it's a good watch.
Speaker 1: Yes, But also what it tells you is that that you know returns last year we're absurd and the American aquity market was ludicrously expensive and ludicrously concentrated at the end of our year, and it moved much too far, much too fast. And so even after everything's happened so far, this year just will be up. And twelve months ago told you that what happened towards the end of last year was slightly not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, And I mean that's place the whole point. But TROMP being a catalyst for shifting things over the years towards everything else which we knew was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Time it. We just couldn't time it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just needed a push, and Toomp's been the push, and I suspect that's still going to carry you Oin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's going to come up and down. I mean as we are speaking today. We are speaking on Wednesday. By the way, then as I is up over four percent as we speak, So you know, you get this this huge volatility. But I think we still suspect overall that there is a great rotation underway from very expensive stock to cheapest stocks. And we have got our main podcast this week out on Friday is with a value Investor, which is really interesting in the context of this great rotation out of expensive the cheaper markets.
Speaker 2: Well, for once, yeah, if you do it often enough.
Speaker 1: And the other thing, John, that you and I have been that for twenty five years and twenty five twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's suning like that had a field sketched twenty twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Hey, the gold price at the gold price, I don't know, Harry. We are do the gold price up in dollar terms forty percent over the last year alone, down little today because everything else is going up because it is the greatest portfolio insurance of all time. Yes, you're doing up the direction, et cetera. But nonetheless there's been a phenomenal run and we're just going to enter it into our we told you so section.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks, So, what I think we can definitely put there, especially seeing his late twenty five years ago. Everyone said, what idiots, and you had actually been bettered buying gold twenty five years ago within the S and P. I mean that is striking. And I including reinvested dividends so that you could have bought golden. You wouldn't even have had to reinvest the dividends because there aren't any.
Speaker 1: I just sit there expect that's what you did, isn't it, John, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just a law effort. Well, I wish it's what I did.
Speaker 1: Any We don't always do what we recommend anyway, So here we are, gold price up a lot, and gold price, you know, you would expect if the chales over the last few months continues, if we continue to have doubt about the America, about the global monetary system, about the dollar, about incoming global recession, et cetera, you would think to yourself or the gold price will continue to go up. But I think we both slightly feel it's moved a long way, very fast, and there could be a little bit of a correction in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, well, there's a number of things. I mean, it was on the front cover of the Ft today and yeah, I mean again, there's no sheath on the Ft, but gold's one of those, cause golds a slightly more obscure asset. You have to watch the more financial peoples than the normal peoples because the gold's never given me in the front cover of the Times. But as the stock market may be at some point, if it could actually is hard enough. But as far as gold goy is, if you see it on the front cover of the Ft, there's probably a big contrat and indicator and that means it's come too far, too fast. Bitcoin's the same, And I said, to be fair, I remember twenty seventeen high in bitcoin. It was on the front Covery Money Week, which I was editing at the time, and even when I looked to the cover, I thought the top of the market signal you have become your own What's night? And then it was absolutely was. So the more obscure the aid, the more you have to sort of downgrade your your cover expectations. But I think for gold, sentiment wise, that's a tell. And also you have to go we have got when you've been watching an asset for that for as long as we have, and you're starting to feel a tiny bit kind of hegy. I don't think it's the mega top. I think we'd have to see a few other things happen. For me, you think it was the absolute top, but I think that it's probably due a breather.
Speaker 1: But then there is a possibility there the gold mineer is might catch up a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you would think so. And silver, Well, the interesting is silver's going up today, which I think is probably more to do with the fact that everyone is feeling relieved the Trump isn't in the fire, you know. Yeah, and it's tariffs. I think it's silver. There's an element of silver that goes up alongside the economic growth, and that bit has been crushed by recent events, which is one reason why it's departed so far from gold. So we might see silver catch up as well.
Speaker 1: And you'd expect gold miners to lag a bit with you, because it's not just gold going up, it's gold going up and staying up that matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, although they are still they're really lagging it. And I mean I think that's partly to do with the fact that they've been such a reliable capital incinerators for such a long time that people just really need.
Speaker 1: To capital andcinerated. If you run a gold mining company, please send your head now direct.
Speaker 2: To John and John. You have used, don't you?
Speaker 1: Independent central banks? And we've talked about this a lot over over the years. Or central banks ever genuinely independent? Should they be independent? And in fact there's whole central bank independence. I think it's kind of you anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a it's a convenient fag leaf. It was fine in the nineties and the two thousands and actually the tens because the central banks were doing exactly what the government wanted them to do. Any keeping rates low. Yeah, nobody felt uncomfortable about it. If it was happy enough about it. Well, yeah, they should really should have been higher while China was exportant inflation around the world. They should have leaned against that. Then we wouldn't have got the acid bubble in the house place bubble, and everyone would be less measurable. Now because that's I do they say, the fact the house place has been too.
Speaker 1: High central bankers also, Director John, Please, But we had all that period where it looked like independent central banks were an absolutely fabulous idea, the great moderation, low interest rates, low inflation. We had the hero central bankers, Greenspan, et cetera.
Speaker 2: The Plunge Protection Team, lunch Protection team.
Speaker 1: And when we look back now, you and I said, at the time, of course, fell andre I told you so. But you when you look back now, you can say, well, this was simply a function of deflation being exported from out of China. And we don't really know if independent central banking is any good at what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 2: We don't really know.
Speaker 1: If the models work. We don't really know if independent technocrats do a better job of interest rate fiddle than governments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't thinks even that. I think it's more the doint. Basically, you've got the if you're in central, if you're an independence is contingent or in someone giving the tea, then you're not independent. You're just not independent. So it only lasts for as long as they're happy for it to do. And I mean Arthur Bond's in the eighteen seventies with elected nexton is a classic example. And it's the same thing. No, I mean, you know I should if if Trump wants to say Lane not get a depot, he will find a way. He doesn't have to do it. I fire on them, and would thought. I thought that there are other ways to get around any resistance. But the point is that whenever the kind of politics and the central bank, the politics and the technical as pomp heads, the politicians are going to win one we had another. So I think that the idea of central bank independence is really just it's just a mirage. It's like the two percent inflation target is sort of it's what for a yo and then stops working and you find something else.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to stop at that, John, because I can feel your hobby host is rising to.
Speaker 2: This or note.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's Marin Talk's Money Debrief. If you like us, you rate, review, and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts. Alsof He's short follow me and John on ex of Twitter. I'm at Mariners w and John is John Underscore Step. This episode was produced by Someasadi Production, Sport and sound designed by Moses and Questions and comments on this show and all our shows are always welcome. Our show email is merin Money at Bloomberg dot net.