Speaker 1: So the one thing I wanted to bring up that's you know, while we while we're doing my episode, that's important to me and something I want to bring attention to is you know a lot of people saw it on social media, but my brother Bob, his daughter, my niece Ronnie, was shot in the road rage incident some months back, and I wanted to make sure because a lot of people hit me, they ask how she's doing, as they can help. So I just wanted to, you know, bring up the fact that, you know, our family started a foundation in her name, and you know, if people want to, you know, donate to the foundation because we want to start helping people also who have been in you know, similar situations or acts of violence, different things, and we want her name, you know, to continue to ring. And you know, she survived, you know she survived good. Yeah, amazing, but she got a long road ahead of her. And you know, can you tell us the name of the foundation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, first of all, I just want to say to everybody because and y'all posted it. Everybody posted it and it was literally thousands of people praying for her. And my biggest thing is I just want everybody to know that prayer works because she's an absolute miracle. We got a chance to see God's hands on my own daughter, because if you're looking at in the physical she ain't supposed to still be here. And so I just want to say thank you to everybody like we felt it. We felt the love, we felt the prayers, and God kept her. She's drinking smoothies, she's laughing, she's sitting up on the side of the bed. She's an absolute miracle. And for everybody that prayed, God is still the God of miracles.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, we thank you so much. And her foundation, me and her mom, Francine started her foundation and it's called Love Ronnie Simon. And at some point me and Je have talked about it. We want to do things in her name. We want to do things in the name of her foundation.
Speaker 1: Games going, let's get some kickball games.
Speaker 2: I talked to him about you were bringing our comedian friends, our R and B friends, and we're throwing stuff and sharing our gifts to bring awareness to to the road rage and to violent crimes.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It ain't just for her. It's going to keep going on. My prayer is that, like he said, it's going to give her a space to speak from when she's able to speak. Now, this is her purpose, you know what I'm saying, And now she can change lives. So that would be the goal of love. Ronnie Simon.
Speaker 3: Tallege that we are authority at this point.
Speaker 1: I'm just Jay And every time I say new see it, look see a look, I really am black ball. I didn't do nothing right.
Speaker 4: Why you hear me?
Speaker 1: I adn't even do nothing right. I feel right. So nigga Damon like, bro, you got another name? Wow? I'm like, no, nigga, don't have another name. I'm fucking j Newt from the Neutrone. I can't do that. I can't do that no more. I can't be that no more. So he's like, well, what's your full name? I never told anyone what my full name was. It's like, what's your middle name? I'm like some bullshit because you know his nickname is that I'm named after a pimp. Yeah, yeah, I'm named after a pimp. But but as a kid, you don't know that. You're not you don't know how that all. You know what I mean? You ain't got the abbadeb q on you you know what I'm saying, So I don't understand what none of that means yet. I just think they already say I'm pretty, and you want to telling them that my name is Valentine? Right?
Speaker 4: Fuck right?
Speaker 2: Instead of fighting five niggas.
Speaker 5: I gotta fight fifty of them now.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, I'm like Valentine. Like, Nigga, your middle name is Valentine. Nigga, that's cold nig Nigga's they can't city niggas already, that nigga that is cowld down, can't city niggas, right, Nigga, that's cold Valentine. So he just kept saying, he kept saying it. I'm like, Noah, nigga, I'm Jay. But when he would introduce me to people, he would say, oh, this is Valentine, and then I would come behind him and be like, no, no, no, it's Jay. Say but it was Valentine on my demo everything, which I didn't know that I had a demo because I had just recorded three songs and it was just I thought I was writing for people. But as it's going around, people are asking who's the kid singing Who's Valentine? Come to find out and lands in a couple of people's you know offices. One of the offices is Electra Records. Sylvia wrong. So Daryl Williams, who was the head of an R at the time, was from the Bay. He was like, you know, flying to New York. I had met with Daryl in La. He flew to New York so we can meet Sylvia. And it was It was odd because I felt like Sylvia didn't really listen to the music. She just like me. She just saw something in me. I didn't know that her and Damon had already had their history m hm. So she kind of wasn't fucking with Damon, but she had found out that he had this kid. I don't know none of this shit. This is the music business. Learn this. Learn these things. Somebody who may be walking you in could already have been history there, good or bad. And in this situation it wasn't so great. But she loved me. So when they walk me in, they say, you know, this is Valentine and I'm like, nice to meet you. I'm Jay. She was like Jay, well, who's Valentine. I was like, well, I'm I'm Jay, but my middle name is Valentine. She was like, oh, well you're Jay. Valentine. Sylvia, if you're watching this, you probably don't remember, but you name me.
Speaker 2: I never knew that either.
Speaker 1: No, Sylvia won't name me Jay Valentine. Wow, thank you, And fast forward. The deal don't work out because we just got too much shit going on. It's too much history, it's all these things. That deal doesn't work and I'm like, all right, well, really I just wanted to write songs anyway, and the songs that I have from that deal, nothing ever came out. We didn't put out a single, we put out anything. The songs that I had from that deal. Now, I'm a professional songwriter because I've been writing. And before that, we had landed a record on Kevon Edmonds on Coco from s WV, so we had two placements. The Cavon album goes go. I still don't have my plaque, but I went through a thing with plaques where I just never I should probably order. But that deal deal comes and goes, but it enables me to have these ten songs. I had, like ten that I wrote, and I took that to the same lady who was the assistant at MCA Records, and I played her my ten songs and she gave me a publishing dear so kids publishing deal. I go in there, and what the publishing deal did for me is put me in a position where I didn't have to go get a job a nine to five, and I didn't have to sell drugs anymore because I'd had my record deal and I ran through that money wasn't no real money. And then my publishing deal wasn't no real money. But I think my record deal, my advance probably was like fifty grand, and I don't even I'm not even sure I got my full advance. I might've only gotten twenty five.
Speaker 2: It didn't get as full as that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I got twenty five. So I got a small set of twenty five. There I get my publishing deal. I get another small set of twenty five because my deal is worth one hundred my initial my initial advance is twenty five. I'm supposed to get fifty after I turned in some songs, you know that whole thing. We didn't get there, But I need like another ten because I got survived because now I got to get me in the We got an apartment, you know what I mean. From my record deal.
Speaker 2: We moved.
Speaker 1: I finally got a bed about the biggest bed I could find. This is when I figured out what they call a California King roll around. I bought it all cash from some frontisher store in Inglewood. And back then they would give you the bed and the beds what it called it or the box spring, the box spring there trying not to give a niggas box breaks. This place gave me the bed, the box spring, and the full set. I bought it off for like twenty five hundred everything plus mattress, pillow top, Yeah, satin sheets rolled around. I got busy, you know what I mean, because I was like from this floor to this but I'm never going back to the floor at this point, so I'm like, shit, I got to get another deal. I go do this little bullshit as did Wanna Chapel. They gave me twenty five thousand. I'm starting to run out of ask for another team, and she hooked me up. So now I'm at thirty five. During that time where I'm signed to Warner Chapel, this thirty five thousands literally lasting me like a year. I go from nineteen I'm going into twenty. Around twenty I start, you know, even though we get out of the deal. Me and Damon fall out for a hot little six months. We get back cool, were writing and were just writing songs. He got a spot out in north Ridge, this gated community called Running Springs that we talked about with Little Steve, and we just writing songs by writing songs with us, and we know we got our little team. And one day Rodney Jerkins and his crew pulls up these niggas rich for real. Yeah, these niggas are rich Ridge. They have every diamond you can imagine on every piece of jewelry you can imagine. This is incredible. I'm talking about the clarity. Yeah. Yeah, you can't stare at their jury. It hurts. I'm like, God, damn, He's like we went to the studio, it was piece of boxes, yeah, and jewelry all over. I want to say, who became my dear friend? God rested soul. Lashawn Daniels was banging his rolex on the board because me and him talked about it later on, because he didn't know that they relexes don't tick exactly. They roll and they stop and if you don't put it on, it'll stop. So if y'all see somebody's rolex and they're doing some weird movement. It's probably not real. So Lashawan was banging it on the He's banging it on the SSL. It's probably like one hundred thousand dollars watch Flooded. I'm like, this is access to another level. So within that same couple of days, they just show up at Damon's house to play basketball with us, and I'm like, wait.
Speaker 2: See that's what who That goes back every time we played basketball against musicians, we are ringers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me and Bob were the ringer.
Speaker 2: Because we actually really played basketball and.
Speaker 1: We were kind of like white men can't jump. We were Woody Harrison because it's like these pretty niggas can't play bad time. I got stupid bounce this nigga three I got, I got damn handle, I got like nigga. I'm going from not going to college and playing basketball to now being in the music business. I'm fucking niggas up. But they bring a ringer they did, and we don't know he's a ringer because now he's their white man can't jim. He goes by the name of Harvey Mason. We don't know this nigga played at Arizona. We don't know this. Nigga played in the Final four and with Steve Kerr, and you know what I'm saying in Bison Dayley, we don't know Thise.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know this, niggas a pro. He played overseas, like, we don't know none of these things. So but Nigga and we don't care.
Speaker 2: We don't care when I say he's hitting me with d one and elbows.
Speaker 1: But it's also two of us. It's only one of him.
Speaker 2: Rodney and burd You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't. You can't. You can't guard both of us. You can guard one of us, but both of us. We're gonna get some ship off. So you know, long story short, we beat dark Child in basketball, and you know we was cool. Everybody kicking it. Uh Lashan on the sideline, laughing, cracking jokes and ship with two million dollars of jewelry on and they leave. I get a phone call from Damon the next morning. He's like, come by the house. I'm like, what's up, Like, Nigga, just come back. I got somebody you know we need we gotta sit down with. It's like, okay, I come back. It's the Ringer. This nigga played basketball? What are you doing here? I don't know he's in music at all. I don't know who four Play is. I don't know his daddy is Harvey Mason from the legendary jazz group For a player, it's just a nigga who I played basketball with, who I kind of still don't like from who. You know what I'm saying, like, like what's up? They're like, yeah, man, you know you remember Harvey from last Night'm like, hey, all right, we hoop it. This is my first thought. You're like, nah, man, Harvey, you know, are you producing a writer? I'm like, for real? He so, yeah, you know I was engineering and writing with the guys and doing my thing a Dark Child and blah blah blah, Like okay. Then he goes into his backpack, he plugs up and he has all the sound. Shit, this is everything out here on the radio. This is incredible. We start working immediately. He started, you know, fucking with some ship and you know, we're working for maybe about working for about a week ideas, nothing is solid yet, but we vibing. We go to Claim Jumpers. There's a Claim Jumpers. It's still there. H On uh On like Nordoff or Lasting. One of those might be Lasting on the corner Lasting, right what a north Fridge mall is me, Damon and Harvey and uh we haven't we having dinner and we're talking and Damn, it's like, bro, we need a name because we locked in. At this point, We're like, we're gonna, you know, we're gonna all work together. We're gonna, we're gonna do this thing because you know, Damon, me and Damon are been working together and now Harvey's with us. He's like, we need a name. And you know, niggas, stars, spitball and everybody got some kind of name. This name is all, you know, Damon coming up with like intergalactic type ship and you know, and after he says it, then he does a dance move.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, No.
Speaker 1: Damn it no, and Dame, it's like, Jay, what you got You always got some something, some names, some something that I'm like thinking, I'm looking around, I'm like and Harvey's just kind of waiting, you know. Harvey's like waiting for the waiting for the action of what you know, what we got? And I'm like, oh, I think I got something He's like what. I'm like, we should be the underdogs, and they're like the underdogs. I'm like, yeah, everybody loves the underdog. They're like, okay, I said, but nah. And you know this because you know I'm idea overload. I always have an extended reason too, because I got to make sure you're rolling with me. And I'm like no, because Damon, you come from up under babyface Harvey, you come from up under Rodney, and Damon, I come from up under yours, under your tutelage. I worked with you. We're the underdogs. Everybody's rooting for us. Damn. Like, Nigga, I'm getting this motherfuck spray painted T shirt tomorrow. We get those for niggas who die.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like a hood ship that niggas get when you die.
Speaker 1: Everybody, everybody get the R E P. Little pistol, a starter, right, you know what I mean? But the fuck you're gonna get the underdog shirt. Damn it got undog shirt. You started getting underdogs right painted, all this air Force ones doing it. You're doing everything the most. We become the underdogs. They come up with a track that motherfucker starts with D and I'm like, this shit is crazy. But as we're doing this, we're also forming the partnership, and kids pay attention to this part. I wanted to be a full partner, but I wasn't paying for anything. I was purely sweat equity, meaning my hard work was my payment. I wasn't paying for studio. I wasn't paying to get the name trademarked sweat equity. They didn't want to make me equal partner. And I'm also nineteen and but I don't even got the money to put into it. But I know I got sauce, got sauce. But I you know, in my mind, I'm a niggas. It's us three, Like right now, if we're gonna start something, we're gonna split it thirty three and a third. He's like, nah, Champ, So what are we gonna do? Buddy? Is You're like, you're a Lashan And I'm thinking abo myself. Lashan's you know, and I don't know his business, but I don't think Lashaw is a partner at Dark Child. So I'm like, wait, like, yeah, you'll make money off vocal production. You'll make money, you know as a writer, you'll sing on stuff, so you get you know, you get your you know, neighboring rights and you know the background vocals. You'll make money, but you you know, you're not our partner. And I'm skipping some steps because I like them girls happening. That the whole thing at that time. But I ended up writing I like them girls, and I left and I didn't write. I might have written a couple more songs, but that was the record that I wrote. Help placed because I got that record place. Shakie Stewart called me. I got that record placed initially, and then it ended up getting on because you know, we told I told the story to Tyresse about how it wasn't for him, it was for Usher in the beginning, and Brandy ended up placing it on tyres because we were trying to get some Brandy cuts too. And after they didn't want to make me a partner, I told him I was out. I was out, and you know, I helped found it with them. I you know, made up the name. But when I look back on it now, and they at one point they were my fuel. They were my fuel. They were like, I'm ana fuck them niggas up. I'm gonna become Yeah, but I didn't fully understand the full business of how this shit really goes of how when you come to the table, what all do you bring in relationships and business and anything like, what makes us partner with you? What makes us give you that full percentage? So you know, I walked away. I went around the corner. I worked with Way Robson, and I wrote for in Sync in a matter of two weeks of me leaving the underdogs in Sync.
Speaker 2: Dang, I was only a two week period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was a millionaire. I got cracking. It didn't happen that fast my money coming. But that record made me a millionaire because what it also did is it made me and Wade sought after producer writers together because we were locked in together. And you know, now we're charging fifty thousand a record, and we're working on the Dream, not the Dream, but the group dreamt that puff hat. Yeah, and now we're working on Christina Vidal, who was she was on Nickelodeon and had record. We're working on her project. I remember they gave us, like I want to say, they gave us like a quarter million dollars to work on her album. Like we was cracking, like me and me and me and Wade Cracking. We just were writing and now it's time to renegotiate. Remember that thirty five thousand. Yeah, it's gonna be different. Yeah, because I got tyres. I like them girls and in sync. Just so, one point three million records in the first first week. Pay me my mother fucking money. Talk to me nice, or don't talk to me at all. Talk to me at all, whisper. So they didn't talk to me at all. They let me out. They couldn't afford me, They couldn't afford you. Yeah, I paid back my deal ten times over what they gave me. What do I do? I go across the street. I'm good for going across the street. I went from Warner Chapel to famous music. Shout out to my guy, Brian Postell and Ira Jaffey. Ira Jaffi was the first person to offer h me an executive job as a writer there, and I turned it down. Are we both? I turned it down and then he said, yeah, it wouldn't make sense. But he offered me an executive job when Brian Postel left, and they gave me a boatload of money. Heavy bag, and I want an escalade. I want an escalator and I want a GS four hundred. And now we're getting to the ship, right, and we we cracking and me and Bob got our We got our condo in Charmanoak, we got the bachelor pad. We cracking and then not only do I have that, now I got a studio house now too. Yeah, remember you came to north Ridge.
Speaker 2: Wait how old are you now?
Speaker 1: For these years are going by, I'm skipping. And then obviously we meet because as I get cracking, Damon and Harvey is like, wait this nigga, this nigga did become something. Hey, man, come back. Whatever you need, are your your percentages, your your things are good. And that's when I came back. And that's when you and I met, and we all met and we became brothers from the first day when we play basketball.
Speaker 2: That that story is hilarious because they were like, yeah, Tank, Tank really hoop And again we're always the ringer. So I'm like, there's no way this nigga's a musician. There's no possible way. They're like tank dunks like that, you know what I said, And we and it was a whole thing.
Speaker 1: Because now I think you had become Damon's Ringer now because Damon can't really hoop with that little ugly ass jump shot, right, So you're the new Ringer. So he's like, oh, I got something. When we went to the twenty four twenty four in Hollywood, and obviously we came brothers from that point on, and you know, I didn't like the way the business was going, and we talked about that on the you know, the the Eric episode, and you know, once they kicked a little Ronnie out, I'm like, nah, man, y'all can't y'all can't kick a little Rounnie out. And if y'all kicking him out, I'm out. You know, I got a bank account full of money, and I'm like, I ain't got no kids. I'm gonna sign somebody. When signed the artist out of my neighborhood, young dude named Bailey and now with City Boys Music the label, it was myself, my brother ron Uh Big Dan Mail, Steve big cousin. Jeff was our producer, Reggie Jacob.
Speaker 2: I gotta shout shout the roller.
Speaker 1: You got staff. I got a nigga, we nigga. I bought the fifteen passager van. I wrapped it with the vehicle rap put the City boys music on it. You know what I mean? We out there, I blew it all. Chief he got a money sign on his forehead. What can we get this nigga who's coming from a major label music business to spend. And as we're doing this stuff with Bailey, our mother passes away. And I had been going back and forth. I was kind of, you know, back and forth city of the city. And when she passed away, I was just like, I need to move back. So I moved back to San Francisco. I sold, I sold my car. I bought like a twenty two hundred dollars bucket because I didn't want to be a money sign. It was a stick shift that a pocket full of money.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, I want to kind of get immersed into what's going on in the bay. But I'm also spinning. But I'm pulling up in the bucket. But I'm spending. I'm doing mixer meetings. This is my college. This is me really getting my feet wet on the music business side, because I'm paying for everything. Photo shoot, the vehicle wrapped, the studio time, the setting up a studio, the paying for overnight spins that I don't know are overnight spins because they're lying to me. And now I want to hurt somebody because they told me I would get ten spins a week. They didn't tell me they would play at two thirty in the morning. But you know, I'm learning the business. Yeah, your niggas was fuck niggas for that man, that's galishya. I could have told me when I was gonna get my spins, but whatever, and I'm losing. I'm losing, and I realized why I lost because I didn't do what the people wanted. I did what we wanted initially, and we just wanted to do the music we wanted to do with the artists, where Bailey Bailey had his mindset of what he wanted to do, and I'm rolling with him and we're trying to get a record on radio that says fuck your couch mm hmm early fuck your couch nigga too far. The record was hard, ship, the ship was hard, and it didn't work. And as I'm losing money, we started working on a mixtape and I used to do a character. Instead of it being Ron Eisley, he was called Ron Heife mm hmm, where I would sing songs, but in a Bay Area way, but I would like jokingly sing them. I would be singing that type of ship on our mixtapes, just fucking talking about being Ron Hypey, which ultimately we end up naming our brother Ron Heifey because his name was Ron, but it was a take from Ron Eisley and then doing that like people start, you know, we had a little mixtape of you know, and the DJs out there will be like, man, what's that, Ron Heifey? Should you be doing funny than? Motherfucker? And I go up to the radio station to see Big Vin and he's like, it's this record man, that just came out. It's going crazy. He's like, man, it's goofy though it got like this weird ass sound on it. These vocals is weird. And I'm like, playing for me and he like he pushed the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh it's brom She got me.
Speaker 1: And t Pey was singing with the auto tune of and I'm like, and I listened to it one time and I'm like, oh, nigga, I flipped that already. I'm fucking around. We playing dominoes. I used to go up to go up to the radio station and just play Dominoes with Big Vin. I'm like, already flipped that. He's like, what do you mean you flipped it. He's like, how I go. I'm like, go, dumb dog I heipee. And he's like, Nigga for real. I'm like, yeah, Nigga, got about white tea. Yeah, my Nigga. I'm freestyling. He like, where's I'm like, oh, it's at the studio. I'm lying my ass off. I have no song. I'm making up parts and I'm getting out of there before you ask for more. Right. So he's like, Nigga, you bring that. I'm playing that tonight. I was like, nig I've been fighting for radio spins on Bailey. I'm like, wait, you just told me you're gonna play something, Nigga. I'll be back in thirty minutes. Go to the house. At this time, I'm staying. I'm staying in my cousin's basement and I have a studio setup in the bottom of it. In the bottom of the house. I know how to work protus. I mean you know that I was your engineer for a long time, and before we had Danny and Ruben, right, I was I was in between next week because Zany actually helped me and taught me. But I know how to engineer. At the time, I know how to use I had an inbox, remember the inbox and the little speakers that came with the little white speakers in audios with the little you know, little blue knobs had that. So I'm flipping records down there. But I'm like, I'm not gonna use auto tune on it. I'm just gonna sing it. But I was bushing, but I was singing as Ron Haiphi, So I don't sing that record seriously. And I'm playing his on playback and from every lyric, I'm just switching it to a Barrier lyric. I'm in the club feeling dishes, looking for a couple of little bitches, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm in the middle like money, you know what I'm saying with some college girls that's acting like they won't me that this is my lyrics, right, so I go knock it out. At the time, they were having a mix of meeting. It's called the Longman Convention. His name was Greg Lolly. He had this convention of all so everybody's just happenstance Bro everybody's in town for this mixing meeting. I take the record to the Strip Club. Bond is in the Strip Club. My guy D from d in Shadow is in there, and I hand the CD. I got on some fucking cargo shorts. I had the cargo. I mean I had the CD in my cargo shorts. I had him the CD. Nigga push play and obviously you know when that song first starts, it's only starts with vocals, but the girls knew I'm sprung because it was cracking. But when he pushes for the vocals, he goes good dump and they're like looking around. These are the strippers they're looking around or the exotic dance. I'm sorry, ladies, they're looking around and Nigga they start popping it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: Shit, we got the DJ, and we got that nigga that I don't even don't really know that well. D. He's like a head, He's like the radio guy.
Speaker 2: Nigga.
Speaker 1: This shit is a smash. I'm like, it is. It's a joke. I'm not singing it was all one take. Whatever I heard him say. I just sang it a different lyric. I never went back. It's fucked up vocals on that song. He's like, Nigga, I'm playing this shit as soon as I get to work tomorrow. Turn your radio on. He used to control Top Top eight at eight or to Hot six at six, whatever it was. He plays me as the last song. By the end of that day, it was the number one song. It's crazy. The phone lines lit the fuck up. Nobody knows who Jay Valentine is, though, I'm still j NEWT to niggas in San Francisco. So he's like, yeah, I got this record, Jay Valentine. Everybody thinks I'm Spanish. I don't know why. I don't know if Valentine has a thing on it or something, but they all think I'm spared. Valentine is a thing that I was so but I'm Jay Valentine right, and they're like, you know, nobody knows what it is. So I'm like he's calling me. Like the next day, he's like, Nigga, the phone lines won't stop going off. I can't even play t Payne's version no more. The next day. This is at this point, it's like the hottest record in the Bay. His new record is and it's brand new though, but it's like it's burning the clubs up, it's burning the streets, the radio, everything. My record completely stops it. But I understand the music business at the time. I never register my song, and I did that purposely so he would get every spin that I got. Ye it's his song. So when they go to cease and desist me, they're like, wait, but it's not registered. I'm like, nah my nig At the time, Charles Kelly, it's LinkedIn, Chuck Chuck is linked in. The T Pain puts me on the phone with T Pain. He're like, nigga, you know how you talking. I'm like, what's up?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Like you stole my ship. So I'm like, yeah, dog, I stole your record. Bro, like I love it, like for real. He's like, Nigga, that's how I got on. I stole a CON's record. He said, nigga, do your thing. I said, bro, they I said, jib is trying to see some desist me. I told them, niggas, they can't seiz some this shit.
Speaker 4: It's nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, this is a real nigga. He's like, and I want to have a sing off. I said, you don't want that. I said. I was walking around in that song pain. He's like, nigga were having a sing off nigga, right, So we we're just cracking jokes on the phone, he said, But when I come back to the bay, I'm stealing my ship back. Comes back to the bay, he only sings, go dumb, stole his ship back, right, He sings my version right. The whole shit killed it great nigga man, and it starts a bidding war. Don't even have no demo. I have nothing. I got a song, and I got some songs I wrote for other people. Once again, because I wasn't trying to be an artist. I only did this ship one because the money was getting low and it just happened on luck. I got it all back, chief, I got it all back. I went and set with everybody. Everybody's offering the ultimate bag. I'm like, oh, I'm about to be rich rich now.
Speaker 2: The song is going crazy, and the song is going crazy, and Bobby back too.
Speaker 1: And I'm doing only five thousand to perform one song. I'm doing three or four of those easy going nuts. I'm driving from San Jose to Oakland to uh back to San Francisco, back to fucking sebastopool of our Mill Valley somewhere across that bridge. I'm crossing every bridge we have in the Bay Area every weekend, multiple nights.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding, you know, the bad is small. This nigga was like a king.
Speaker 1: No no, So then what do I call myself? The King of r and ba? Yeah? Yeah, I want all of the smoke because at this point I'm the only nigga singing too. Everybody else rapping. We got you know, I become what they do know me as I was the video ho fora keisha, so that's what they knew me as. And that's when I had to cut my braids when I move home, because I'm like, I got tired of girls running up on me talking about why I do keisha like that. Forty used to have his club called the Ambassador's Lounge. It was the most ratchet shit. It used to get shot up all the time. I'm sorry, Forty, but your shit used to get shot up. They used to shoot it up, and it was in San Jose and they would literally make you get right on the freeway from the club. But the last straw, I think a nigga shot it up in a winter bago and then tried to drive off. They got caught, but that was the end of that slows giving nigga. You know, listen, when you when you into it, you into it. So I'm getting a full bag. Everybody's offering me a deal. I do my deal at J Records. What I do when I get my deal, I come back to see all my niggas. I gotta go see t Pay because he didn't do the season desist, So I give him a bag. I fuck with Polo, I give him a bag. Who else the Underdogs and Big D and Jim Johnson And this is when I meet Static, and me and Static become really close friends. And he wrote me a record called Get with This Pimp. Mm hmmm. I don't know why niggas always wanted to put me in that space, but you know, he wrote me, you have no idea. Wrought me a record called Get with This Pepper, and we did a trade off. I gave him a record, he gave me that record. What's the record? I gave him miracles thing. It's called Miracles and the I was our trade off. That became my nigga. But then I'm back at the Underdogs with my bag of money, my new deal I'm shiny as ever, and I come see my guys. And that's where she worked. The trouble came from. That's where she worked. The trouble came from. And you little Steve, Tony Dixon.
Speaker 4: Eric.
Speaker 1: Damon Harvey, everybody just was like nigga ja here because I was you know, I was still I was an underdog, you know, I mean, no matter what if I left or not, I was a nigga. I was an underdog. So we did those records, and I should have been with.
Speaker 4: You, and.
Speaker 1: I had this time. I had my chance to be Ron Nut. I had my chance to be Ron Newt. And when I became Ron Newts, I was rushing because I felt like they were slowing up my past, my path. They they weren't moving fast enough. We had some internal shit with marketing and different people, and I had leaked. You know that I leaked. She worked his trouble. No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta tell him this though, too, Tank When I say they spent a bag on this niggas record though he worked with everybody oh and drag, Yeah, yeah, bro. The sessions we was in was insane. It was they had to spend two million dollars. I mean it was bro. He had everybody that was a name on that record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did, like Larry Jackson, my guy, my brother, Larry set it out for me. But Larry didn't know that they were against him and ultimately against me, because Larry was my same age. We were the same age at the label at the time. I'm twenty five twenty four, he's twenty five to twenty four. They're like, young punk and this your first signing. Nah, we're not really rolling with that, nigga. And I started to pick up on that and I'm yo, bro, they not like, why did not? This record is going crazy? Like she Wrot the troubles rocking, you know what I'm saying. I'm like, they're not fucking with me, bro like. And then I get on the phone with, you know, with some of the team at the label, and I could just hear it in their tone like, oh, this is bad. And at the time, Deuce is on the way, my son is on the way, and I'm in that mode. I got my first kid on the way. You niggas is playing with my money, y'all asking me not to do as many shows no more because it's not the same time as it is now where they want you to. They're like, oh, we just want you an album mode, we want you doing this. I'm like, Nigga, I went from getting these bags every weekend and y'all slowing shit up because it wasn't immediate. So I leaked the record and shit goes crazy. But what I don't realize is me e king the record made people in the building look bad. So now it's another sword thrown at me, like this nigga and he think this and we don't like his attitude. Man, But I had an amazing deal. Shout out to Tim Mandelbaumb. Tim Mandelbaum was my lawyer. Tim Mandelbaum set me up a deal. It was called a two put and in this deal, they had to guarantee me two albums and if they did not record the second album, they had to give me the money for the second album. So I knew. I also had a clause in my deal where they was going to have to spend a certain amount of marketing dollars by a certain amount of time, and they were dragging their feet, so I used that clause to negotiate my way out of it. I was like, listen, y'all don't want you know, y'all don't want to do this. I told her, I said, bro, they they're not fucking with you, and you signed me, so they not fucking with me. And you know, long story short. You know, in a year's time, Larry was out.
Speaker 4: Of there too because.
Speaker 1: They wasn't fucking with him. They were trying to figure out his way out of you know, his exit out of the deal as well. But I was able to negotiate my masters. I own my masters. So if any of you kids want to us, look up she worked the trouble, sample it. I'll clear it. I want one hundred, No, I want I take ninety. I'll take ninety percent and give y'all ten. But if you take the whole thing, but I might negotiate something else. But I own it if you guys would like to sample it. And I just wanted to own me. Buying my Masters cost me an additional half a million dollars. I got a half a million dollars less to own myself and for me, I didn't care what I did with it. I didn't want nobody to own me, not no more. I didn't want to be owned. I didn't you know, I didn't want them to be to be able to ever put anything out because they would they would have the right to, and.
Speaker 3: You get cracking somewhere else, like, Okay, we still got these masters, and I wasn't gonna still be a singer ship. I'm like, I just don't want them niggas to own me. I got one out, so I brought myself out. They still had to give me an additional bag. I still got my other bag, but I own my masters, O my masters. So I got out of that deal. And then we started song Dynasty.
Speaker 1: Hey, we went on and we went on our run. It's when the big Bucks. It was about a year or so in between, you know, until we started song US three obviously in our guy text h and we got rolling. Man, that was the best time in my life. Guys.
Speaker 2: I want you guys to know that we have absolutely like because again I'll say all the other times, no one paid me any money. Durell and j maytrade and I appreciate you guys. Love deal.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I too started before the Underdogs, and I didn't get one penny, not one And we did the whole record that got his his his record deal, and I didn't get a penny, but I was doing some stuff and all the real baps over there.
Speaker 1: He said, Hey, Bobby, just come on, man, just come come right with me.
Speaker 2: Man. And the first record that we wrote was uh under what was the first record we worked together? And we got nominated, and then him and the Valentine started putting their minds together. Next thing, you know, we got a studio on Recita. We got everybody coming through. That thing was racking.
Speaker 1: I was god a little bit of money then, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, And they looked they bought him off the shelf, and the rest is history. Champ, you know what I'm saying. And so I never got to tell you what this guy negotiated my deal and he didn't ask for one. Henny, And he's one of the only guys in the music business that I can say if he tells you he's gonna do something, he does it. I had an independent record. He said, I'm I'm a producer when we first met, I'm a producer. Record on you. We actually used Jamie Fox's studio and he produced a song on me for nothing. There aren't guys like that in the business that do you know what I mean? And then when we got to he said, Bobby, I'm gonna help you eat. That's the one thing about Darrel Batch's table. Everybody's gonna eat.
Speaker 1: Everybody eat, everybody's gonna eat.
Speaker 2: And so I never got a chance to tell you I love you for that, bro, You know what I mean. I'm happy I get to tell you in front of the whole world, Chap, I love you for.
Speaker 1: It, because everybody else talk a good talk, but there's.
Speaker 2: No action behind it. Sure you know what I'm saying. And so what y'all put together got a change. You know, I got to turn into Bobby Cash. You know. Now I'm you know what I'm saying. I got ten grand in my pocket all the time. I'm walking around with my shades, you know, in the dark. You know what I'm saying in the dark, you know. And so we, like you said, we started producing everybody. We writing songs for everybody. We we got real placements happening, we got real checks. I got a chance to really see what it was like. This nigga been getting it forever, but for me, because I got twelve kids.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, a lot of this stuff. Well I got, but it feels like so I was like, God, damn, why wouldn't you do that today?
Speaker 2: So for me, you know what I'm saying, like it that was, that was when it became real for me, you know what I mean. And I was so happy to do it with y'all and that was that was an amazing time.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: So, Jay, I want to take a turn because you know, I think everybody most people understand you know you as a singer. Most people understand you as a songwriter, as a producer, but people don't really know the business side of of what you do, where you actually left the creative side and went behind the wall and became a suit as we call them, not quite a suit, but you went into that space and became, you know what I mean, an executive and you you became a consultant in all of these things. I want you to tell people about that experience and and and and what you learned, what you gained from being on that side of the business.
Speaker 1: I learned that it's it's not designed for us to get wealthy. We can get rich. They let us get rich. But I learned that it wasn't designed that way. It was designed for us to you know, get enough money to eventually need them again. Hmm. And for me, I didn't like that part. I didn't like that artists didn't know. So now I'm part of conversations and hearing about deal points that artists never know about, that only lawyers and executives talk about, and we're just really part of the trade off. I became the spook next to the door who sat next to the door. I became that literally, like I put on a full costumes as a suit, and I stopped being on the creative side for so long that they entrusted me to now start learning all of the you know, the inner working yeah, and how the music business really works, and how what the dollar really means in the music business and how to get to it, and how you don't have to be famous, and how you don't have to have a hit record. Just got to make the right moves, you gotta you know, have your hands in the right things. And that that became my mission, is to one educate, but to also be really successful on that side, so that I could be some form of a you know, an ally to us, because I feel like I feel like I am split in two sides from the music business standpoint of I'm half artists, I'm half businessman. It's just who I am. It's just what I am. And sometimes I do too much business and it stops me from being creative. But I make sure that our business is in line, and whoever I'm in business with understands it if they want to do it or not. You know, you can't force people to do the business right. And I've had some people who didn't want to do the business right, and that's fine. But you know, I think that's why you and I have locked in for so long, because you trusted me, you trusted my business mind, and you went to bat for me when people didn't believe that I could do that. But you knew it, you know, because we had you know, we had set so many times and went over business and you understood, like, oh this nigga knows something. He got it, you know what I mean. And for me, I was just like, I'm just gonna work my hardest and what I don't know, I'll say I don't know, and I'll consult with people and I'll learn absolutely. And I've just always been willing to learn, and I've never you know, I've never put up a facade that you know I knew something that I didn't. It's shit, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You remember you call me about some shit, I'll be like, cheap, I'll call you.
Speaker 3: I was just I'll call you right back, call me back thirty minutes later. All right, So here's why we should do this. Now, here's the point number one, eight and then nine and ten. Then but if we don't do it, then we could go back. I'm like this, nigga, where did you get nigga? I'm gonna figure it out. Figure it out?
Speaker 2: So what's crazy? Listening to him?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And now, this is Jada Man. Obviously I know him as Jays the kid too, right and the nigga hated school. I'm talking all the house, Jane, show up to school today. You want to play basketball? But he don't want to go to school, right. And so when I listen to him talking, right, and I'm giving him his flowers right now, when I listen to him talking, and you just realize how smart he is. But he is very well read. And that's what a lot of people don't know, which is crazy. Every single day, he's very well read, which is why he's well spoken, so you get these sides of him where you're like, oh, the nigga likes getting me from the hood, you know what I'm saying. But he can also dress it up and take it to be an executive. Most people can't do that, you know what I'm saying, and have a real conversation with you, like you said, call you, give you deal points, give you know what I'm saying, Like, he been in the game for so long, you know what I mean. And now he's a prodigy of business. He's a prodigy of making records. He's a prodigy ass you know what I'm saying, like cause he again, he has the first record. So where me and you started a little later, he started at ten, you know what I mean. And to me, that's his advantage. But again, it's the biggest thing that he said his whole time, I've been learning, you know what I'm saying. I've been learning. I've been taking it all in, you know what I mean. And so I'm from me to you, bro, like I just I watch you and you know, I'm so proud bro, for real, No, I want you to know that, my nigga, like because the other thing is that the news have is we all have the round new factor. So when we walking around, like, what I know is that all the label people love him. They love him. You know what I'm saying, from the lawyers to the executives, to the artists, to the everyone.
Speaker 1: I can't play golf, but I can golf.
Speaker 2: You hear that.
Speaker 1: I say it again.
Speaker 2: I can't play.
Speaker 1: Golf, all right, don't play golf, but I can go.
Speaker 2: I can go Hello, Hello, because that's where it's made at. That's what happens at.
Speaker 1: So y'all.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to say to you, brother, and not even just so it's the business side, but so and I want to say this to him too, like singing wise, right, we didn't come up like you in the church. We came up like on some boy bands. You know, just be honest, boy Bend's don'b mothers now they can't really sing. Yeah, this nigga is like the ghetto baby face.
Speaker 1: This ship is so sweet.
Speaker 2: And I want to say that to him because we never talk about it. Bro. When I said, I love your voice, bro, like and what you've done and what you've become and like me, like us, we got around niggas like you. We got around the church and men him was looking at each other like, hold on, man, that's singing straight. Ship ain't gonna do it.
Speaker 1: We gotta figure out because we competitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so that's every time, like we'll practice till it can till we can do it. Yeah, And we got that from around to practice. Michael Jackson wrote that for us on the on the eight by ten practice. That just makes perfect, you know what I'm saying. And we had already had that mindset anyway. So get back to you, bro, But I just wanted you all the bro, all of it, even what he's done with you, bro, because you know I was, I was singing background for you. Yeah. It was nasty.
Speaker 3: It was getting nasty. I was looking at Ja, let's call it Ja. One day I said, look, Jay, I really want to do this. He was like, yeah, niggas. I said, nigga, I'm about to let everybody go. It's just gonna be me and you and we're gonna figure this shit out from the ground up.
Speaker 2: Because again, tank, everybody want to everybody eat. Some people taking advantage of that, you know what I mean, They take advantage of this. Now you got a good heart and people take advantage.
Speaker 3: So let me get with my cousins, nigga, because it was like, it's it's it's you know, you just just run into long lost family members. You know what I'm saying. It's it's it's something in the universe. It's like these niggas. I'm related to these niggas some kind of way I have to the relationships I have to be. And so that right, that that that family connection was the bond that made it easy, made it second nature to do business, you know what I'm saying, Because it's the trust, that's where it starts.
Speaker 1: Right. So Jay, you go from child star. We didn't. We didn't.
Speaker 3: We didn't get to you till you sold a bike. But you used to sell bikes business. I started bike business, yea, selling drugs. Statute of limitations. They it's all gone. Not a lot of not a lot of drugs. But I didn't sell enough for y'all to come back. Relax, Okay, two artists, Back to songwriter hiphie, you know hiphee move the hypee movement. Maybe back to artists again. Done with artists, then back to the business producers behind the wall as an executive, then tanks manager, but before I was your manager, I was consulting. You were consulting, Yeah, I was consulting. And the consulting started with obviously helping Brian Kennedy get his his publishing deal. That was kind of like one of my first you know, jumps into that. But then when I realized I really wanted to.
Speaker 1: Be in the music business, I was like, I gotta fine artist. I gotta you know, and d named Love Rants mm hmm, my guy, I Love Ran had a big record and at the time it wasn't it wasn't it was bubbling. It was bubbling in the bay and it was called Up I Beat the Pussy Up Up Smash, and it was the first listen for me. And the wildest thing is that his brother and I were high school teammates until and I didn't know that at the time. I didn't know that was his little brother until one day we ran into each other at Deuce's Deuce's birthday. I was happening at the bowling alley our Auntie used to own a bowling alley. Out to Diane. Also shout out to Diane because Diane took me and Bobby and.
Speaker 2: No, she she said, his life formative years. She said his life.
Speaker 1: She saved my life.
Speaker 2: I love that we came one day, like, Jay, this hood ship's over, man, come with us when we're in Diamond Heights, man ship sweet over here.
Speaker 1: It's really nice there. It was different. Do it taste different when the street? It was different? Yeah. So you know, Diane was a lifesaver. She was. She was absolutely a lifesaver. So she owned a bowling alley. And I was having h Deuce's birthday party. I think he might have been four or something, and my Tail and his family just happened to be there. And he's talking to me about his little brother in music. And I'm like, okay, you know niggas talk to me about music all the time. And he's like, no, bro, he got this record. It's called Up. I'm like, it's called what? Like uh? I'm like he's like, we're talking about this at my son's birthday party. They're like, yeah, that's my little brother. I'm like, hell nah, Like Nigga, that's my little brother. I want to connect y'all whatever. I'm like, Nigga, come on connected us. I started co managing him with my Tail. We managed him together. They don't have no deal, they have nothing going on. I'm like, listen, bro I said, it's big, but there are a couple, you know, people grabbing a record around the country, people just you know, kind of just taking the record nobody really need. So it starts to become that thing. I'm like, lo, listen, let's I'm gonna fuck all those up. I'm gonna shut every remix down. It was how I was like, we're gonna do the R and B version. I said, so I'm gonna get I'm gonna get Pleasure Pee on it. That was the first make a pe you know, Pete fresh off of under y'all. Yeah, I mean he got pretty ricky. So I get Pee on the record. I leave the last verse open because Rants and I am Sue who produced the record. I am Sue. I left them verses open so they could do their verses. It was gonna be me, them and Pleasure p right at the time. You know, through whatever they had going on, they fell out. So when I send both of them the version with me singing the hook, actually I don't even send them the version with Pe on it. I sent it just me singing a hook and my verse. It was my first no no, just me singing the hook. It was supposed to be just me singing a hook with them with new verses, no new artist yet or new other other artists. I'm like thinking the R and B version because now was singing like you know what I mean, and Drake had I think, just came out around that time. I'm like, Nigga just singing rap shit like that vibe Nigga, we gonna kill him. And I flipped the hook to what it became the new version of Up with open verses. Them niggas don't do their verses because they fell off. So they're like, and the song is cracking rants doing shows. I'm like, I'm telling y'all, I said, man, if y'alln't do y'all verses, I'm putting somebody else on it. This is just like my fake threat. Niggas don't do their verses. I get pleasure to Peter do a verse his verse killer. Now I do a verse my verse killer. I'm like, Nigga, we got some shit. I go to Vegas, I have the record, I give it to DJ Franz and friends and plays it. We had a suite at the at the at the Palms, the basketball. Guess who walks in Tiger and Chris Brown. So my little brother, you know what I'm since he was fourteen fifteen. You're like, Nigga, what's this? I said, Nigga, this record going crazy in the bay. This the R and V version with me. He said, Nigga, I'm doing it tomorrow. I said, doing what the song? Nigga, I got the American Music Awards rehearsal, and I'm coming to y'all studio just when we still got the studio and now we're a track record. I'm thinking he lying, he know he Nigga calls me, big bro, start writing my verse for me. Just start the verse off like all this Nigga's really coming. No fucking bullshit, you coming, Nigga Chris Brown verse. We hadn't done those songs like that. I mean, like Nigga, I'm like, Nigga's the king.
Speaker 4: Fuck it.
Speaker 1: Nigga pulls up in one of his fast cars, a Lambo or something, pulls up and hop out like what you got? I got part of the verse. Now I'm coming to boot and I love that shit. We knocked that shit out in ten fifteen minutes. I'm engineering and watching the basketball game and this at the same time you're writing he knocked that shit out. I'm like, it's never about It's not gonna be the same. I call both of them niggas. I say, hey, bro, Chris Brown just got on the record. They're like, what we putting it out tomorrow fast? Put that motherfucker out once again. Don't register it, don't do the whole thing, because it's all spinds today for them. Every label's calling, everybody wants a piece of the record. Jimmy IV, Larry Jackson calls me, nephew, Yeah, yeah, what's this record? Nephew, Yeah, Like that's fucking up records going crazy. I said, yeah, you know, because he had heard my verse, but he didn't know I was representing him too. I'm like, no, nigga, I did that to boost up the attention and a knock out all of these other remixes that are around the country. They're like, oh, nigga, when can y'all come to l A. I was like, now, nigga, go, we take our meeting at Jimmy Ivan's house. We go to the home, play him the record, play him the rest of the shit that he got. He loved it. Go crazy, like, man, whatever y'all want to do. He's like, whatever y'all want to do. So at first the conversation was to take once again, take those verses off and make it the R and B version mixed with the rap version, because the other version. I've been moving in the streets anyway. And I'm like, nah, this is his record, man, this is what I say. I'm like, nah, this is his record. This is not my record. This is love Rance's record. We're doing the deal for his record. I was like, all right, we want the record regardless. So I'm like, we're gonna sign him. We're not doing a singles deal. You're getting him a full album budget. We're doing a full album. I'm not letting y'all just single deal him. We do a four hour budget, full bag in his pocket. And Larry says, I got an idea. I'm gonna put fifty cent on it. I said, we're out of here. We're fucking out of here with side. Yeah, yeah yeah, I said, oh my god. When you come to San Francisco. He does the video, he tries to get in the room with the with the guys to help them put they thing back together. The group the HBK. It don't work. They don't listen to him, you know. And that was my first stamp into the you know, the executive side. And after that, I have an end. I'm an I'm a I'm a consultant at the label, and I'm managing, and I'm doing my whole thing that you know that don't fully materialize for him, but to get him a big bag. And he's still making money to this day. And then one night I'm up at like three in the morning and these kids up on my YouTube because I'm I'm looking at I'm watching World Star Hip Hop, and it's this kid on there talking about his daddy and you know how, they're talking Chicago, my daddy, my daddy, my daddy, my daddy, and I'm who the fuck are you talking about? He shot at the police and he's talking about He's talking crazy like my daddy.
Speaker 2: Cheep Keith.
Speaker 1: Who the fuck is Chief Keith? So my ass nigga, I start googling, I'm start going into ship. I'm typing Chief Keith. Nothing's coming up. So now I have to type yeah into the film side Keith Keith because he keeps saying it with f yeah. So I'm like, okay, okay, Keith k f k e K nigga. I'm just I'm finding it. So I find it, nigga. But they reminded me of Double Rock. So I'm like, Nigga, I gotta find this kid. Actually, I got to save it in my computer and take it to Larry in the morning because I'm like, it's in the Scope records. This is fifty cent, this is doctor Trey, it's Jimmy Ivan. He understands it's eminem anything dangerous. So I'm like, next morning, I take the ship to Larry. He loses it. He's like, man, So we find our way to Chief Keep. We do the Chief Keep deal, and I'm like, the rap world ain't just it ain't for me. It was just too much going on. It was too much shit involved. I actually never made a dollar off for Chief Keep, off for getting that deal done off of a consulting an R nothing. I just you know, and I you know, I hung out with Keey for that first week and I never seen him really ever again, but you know, helped put him, help put the deal together, put it in place with you know, he had his uncle Roe and and dro and Peter Pan and all the you know, the guys that were working with him, and he became a fucking legend, absolutely, and it was a way for me to, you know, ultimately put some numbers on the board and become, you know, this kind of this best kept secret guy that had my ear to the streets because now I got two chief Keef Love rants like that, ships Cracking. And then I did that big ass record with the Rebix, and then they wanted me to sing and then I said no. In the height of up It's like, nah, I'm cool. I want to be a manager, you know.
Speaker 2: But you got to tell him. But you got to tell him this too, though, because you know, fifty came to him and was like, bro, you should just take the record. And he said no.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of people, a lot of people said, but I'm saying.
Speaker 2: How many people would have done that?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: I ran the record back in New York, this West Coast record.
Speaker 1: How many times in a row? What's that hot station out there?
Speaker 2: New York?
Speaker 1: One of them?
Speaker 2: It back multiple times. He calls him like, hey, bro, just should just take the record. I'll sign you. He's like, no, that's not my record.
Speaker 1: It wasn't my record. You know what I'm saying. And you know, it's funny because a lot of people look at those type of things like, oh, well Jay did this and you grabbed that record in that record, But I never registered nobody's record. I never you know, took any money out of anybody's pocket that they were supposed to get. I was just having fun with music, and especially with the love NDS thing. I knew I needed to help it take you know what I mean, But I did, You know, I didn't. I didn't want to, you know, I didn't want to, you know, just take it further. At that time, I wanted to fully be taken serious from an executive side. And you know, now you had chosen like when you choose your lane, you you're there. I'm there because we've been trying to get you, like you have plenty records where we were like this, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Naay, let's go right.
Speaker 1: But I also felt like if I do that at that time, especially with song Dynasty, who's gonna protect us? Because we had tried managers, we had tried different people that were you know, involved in our business, but I always felt like nobody cared about us like us. Yeah, So I had to, in a sense, sacrifice that side of my life to put us in a position to really win. And that's when I start begging you to be a manager.
Speaker 3: I'm a manager. It's like, you're not just be dropping hints. I'm like, I kind of already managed you. You're not a manager, Jay, You're my friend. Okay, I didn't know that I've been dropping.
Speaker 1: For a minute. It's like, see, like I got cracked over here, baby, I know it's wrapped cracking.
Speaker 2: Take me like, man, that she is cracking over there.
Speaker 1: We'll bring me in. And that's and that really that really set it up for me, man to you know, be taken serious from a business standpoint. And I just started having more and more conversation with executives and and attention, you know, from Shakie Stewart to you know, Larry Jackson to Ethiopia have to Marry Him, to you know, Tubby to you know, like everybody who would sit Big John Big job. Important for me. I was just I was just listen Ira, Jeffrey, Brian Postell, like those guys were talking. I would listen. I'm learning publishing and I'm learning executive. I'm learning A and R and I'm just whoever would talk to me about it, Jaha, you know what I'm saying. Like, I'm just listening to all of them. And you know when you you would at first, when you would just take me up to Atlantic with you. And I'm listening to Mike Kaiser talk and I'm listening to a Seanna talk and you know, Juliet's talking about radio, and then Craig Kalman comes in with the weird music side and I'm like, and then Julie walks in and she don't pay me no attention.
Speaker 2: She just you know, acting like I don't exist. It's all cool because.
Speaker 1: I'm learning that, Like, Okay, she know her ship, she know these numbers, you know how the movie shit around, Like this is how this music business works. And I'm asking lawyers and I meet Damien Granderson and Damien's giving me game and I'm cool, noted. You know, Doug Davis, I'm paying I'm paying attention, bro, Like I am paying attention and as they're talking and I'm doing it for us. I'm doing it so that when we get to those deal terms, I know what they're talking about and I know what to ask for because the other part is, as we learn with our guy Eric Greenspan, if you don't ask, they won't give it to you. Where are they going to give you that? Because we're going to ask. And Larry Jackson was consulting for us, Larry Jackson for us, the Almighty Larry, Yeah, I think you guys should ask for this. No, and if you just inside, if you just do this, if you just do this, and they'll let you get that. Thanks Larry, Thank you, Larry.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's why relationships are great.
Speaker 1: Bro, Like for real. He came with the then when we happened and you changed our lives. Brother, when we called Jay, I have something because he's my ultimate an R right is ere I'm like always his ear is.
Speaker 3: The one I lean. I'm like, Jay, I have something. It's out there, but I just I need you to hear it. And shout out to Cardiac my brother Cardiac.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Matt rest us Yeah, and E p l P E p l P about his producer that he had and he did rap oh and Chasing Cast absolutely. Chasing Cast said, hey man, that nigga he it he don't one.
Speaker 3: I said, can you do? R and B said hell yeah, I could do R and B never done. Send me the goods, nigga, and they send me them tracks. I was in Platinum Sound shout out.
Speaker 1: To Jerry Wonder, Jerry Wonder, Jerry Wonder, and.
Speaker 3: It just hit me, I said, and I said, when we looking at my jury, I can't think of my engineer at the time. My guy uh Asian guy man man him used to go back and forth about Floyd Mayweather and pack yeall like back, no, no, out of the Jerry Wonder spot, and so I look out at him. I was like, he's like this. I was like, fuck is the only word that works. Broun's the only.
Speaker 1: Word right in back of my mind. I'm like, gonna kill me. Pressed it up, I said, I said, let me just send this, let me just send this to Ja. Yeah, this was just your idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, j called me back. I did, like, uh, it's a little bit of the verses in there, but the hook was like what I really needed is is his ear on.
Speaker 1: He was like, nigga, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 3: First I said, I said, I said, man, I just I'm just doing what I feel. He said, Nigga, this ship is I don't know who gonna play this ship, but this ship jam and I said, yeah, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 1: We wasn't still on tables, still on tables, they believe, still on tables.
Speaker 3: He was making them calls with juliett what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Nasty Juliet and Joy. Julian and Joy was calling us the nastiest niggas and just but they rocked with us, man, and they fought. They fought for us. Shout to Atlantic to Atlantic Records. For sure. For sure they let us, you know, they let us rock, They let us be us. So yes, So.
Speaker 2: Since then, now you've had three record deals, You've yeah, you've you've had three records, You've made over a million dollars writing songs, and then you get with this guy and you get your first number one record?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh as an artist? No, as a well? Was it as a songwriter to that? Yeah? The first number one record? Yeah, not what I mean I had, Yeah, I had. I mean obviously I've been on in sync in that time. Yeah, but yeah, yeah in two facets number one on the radio and yeah, no that was yeah, yeah flight out yeah yeah, And I just you got to keep this in context, like we're from a.
Speaker 2: Small place Bro. Yeah, lightning has struck this food a gazillion times and get hit and it's qrazy hard. Okay, yes he does, but Bro, but blood plays a part.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: He found he just told you found chea key. So then the hood side comes up, you know what I'm saying, Like there's an R and B side, there's a hood side. I mean, there's just so.
Speaker 1: Many fasts all of it, and a lot of successes come with it. And the backstories, like people don't know this stuff. They don't know you help to find Chief Keith Manage, there's other people major help major.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's healthy and hasn't asked for a penny from these guys. That's the other thing that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Yeah. I really, I really do love the music business like I love music. I love the music business because I understand what the music business can do for people. Because I understand what the music did for us, what the music business did for us, and and people even attached to us. You know, our little cousin, Big Rich, he like the biggest ship in the bay. You know what I'm saying. He got all kind of gotta you got a label deal with Atlantic. Now he got new artists coming up. You know what I'm saying. You know, like family members who have just they didn't know music before we got in music, you know what I mean, who are fully immersed in it now and fully love it. And I love seeing that. I love being a part of that, and I love being a part of the conversation of like, you know what, man, Jay, you remember when.
Speaker 2: Did you know what other reason for hdown?
Speaker 1: I didn't Yeah, the neutrons. I didn't know that. Yeah, yeah, that's what they told you, Yes, sir, wow, yes, sir, yes, yes, favorite groups he was going to have.
Speaker 2: That's that's one of my homies. And he'd be hitting me and he'd be like, bro, y'all didn't he put it up on his grim the other day? Y'all don't know nothing about the New Tribes because him and his three guys, Yeah, that was their story, like they were looking at us. You're sometimes you could be an inspiration to people and not even we've been in inspiration to everybody in the Bay Area, like people in our family sing and you just never know what it's going to turn into.
Speaker 1: You know, that's crazy. I didn't know that. I didn't know that, But that's why you know, ultimately I've taken the path that I've taken. And what I realized when I when you finally was like, yeah, Jay, from the management side, I just looked at it like he's gonna get us where we gotta go. And I was tired of seeing people not respect you the way I respected you, and I remember you are, you know, the underrated shit in the whole. I'm like, man, fuck all that, nigga. You shouldn't be underrated, like nigga you him in my mind. So I'm like, if I got to sacrifice my career for a minute to help him get to this spot, so be it, and we'll get to where we gotta go and then we'll usher in everything we need to from that point on. Speaking of ushering in, it's a great segue, yeah, into getting this man finally back behind the microphone and singing more than one song. H So you go number one on slow Yeah yeah, yeah, yeh, You're killed on that record.
Speaker 2: Because just so you know, every time men, men, Jay, we when we sing with singers, right like which Tank is the singer? You got to ask yourself like did I did I do myself justice? Did I was I able to. You know what I'm saying, hang in there?
Speaker 1: Did I get cooked?
Speaker 2: Did I get.
Speaker 1: Call him the next day? I said, Oh, that's what you're doing. I got you.
Speaker 2: You know his pocket, he knows right where he pull pull.
Speaker 3: The reals back up. Let me sing something. Goddamn right, let me sing something. The ship over because he's he thinking's sweet.
Speaker 1: Let me see. Hey, nigga took part of my hook out, sang on the hook with me. You you out of control? Back? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he had a tone in the hook that was that was necessary. I said, no, that's what the hook should sound. So I gotta go back. I want to go back and sound like him. You know what I'm saying. Like the demo was super, the demo was out of control, but when he sang the hook, it was a different type of urgency.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, bro. Yeah, tap me on the shoulder and allow me to hop on that record when you know I love the record. When he just came in period, it's like, this record is amazing, bro. You should you should sing And he was like, yeah, the only way I'll sing is if you do it too. Yeah, you got you gotta get on this get on this record. I'm like, fuck, let's go all right, let me let me You know, I already know the song because I've been listening to it.
Speaker 2: You know all the parts, and it's squire Boy, quiet boy now I'm quiet boy, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I appreciate that, and I think the you know, you know what people need to know the importance of all of that is that it's for me. It's been a hell of a row back for you. Yeah, it's all been about timing, and more importantly, it's been about your time when it felt right for you, when it made sense for you, and coming off of that slow record, it couldn't have been any more perfect for you to be ready to have your own project and moment back as an artist, because you're like, I mean, you know, you look like my son, but you are Uncle Tank. I'm Uncle Tank. Like you're like, it's still fresh and and and new. Watching the comments and the commentary around hious, it's still I mean, it's hilarious. It's crazy, Like I find it hilarious. It's brand new. First of all, since the podcast is doing so crazy, everybody's like, when was somebody gonna tell me the podcast? Nigga can say, when was somebody gonna say that, right. The podcast was the full introduction. The podcast was like the introduction to the mind. Yeah, but now they're getting introduced to the gift, you know what I'm saying, Like, and it's it's so crazy because it's like, in my mind, I've always known that that revelation would create that type of energy, and I've just been like impatiently waiting for for for you to come around and be ready to do it.
Speaker 1: And now and now it's time.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of you know what I knew when we did the job to Sy when we remade the song yeah, and he was on that thing like, by the way, those are our heroes, and we remade the record that he was on there, I was God, that's when I knew. I was like, oh, his tone is so crazy, speaking of when did you what made you decide to be like, Okay, I'm gonna come back to being an artist. I'm gonna come back, you know through a project.
Speaker 1: On the other side, I felt like I had something to say. I needed something to say, right because everything for me and you guys both noticed like I don't do things that don't have a purpose for me. So I felt like I had something to say, and you know, I felt like Tank had done enough for us. It was put me in coach time. You know. It was no seriously like I felt like, damn like Tank is because you know, I've watched what Tank has done for us at R and B money and what he's built and what we've built on Tanks back, and I'm like, I can help him with that, you know what I mean, Like I can help him with that. I think for me it was just more so how I help him, because a big part was I didn't just want to be known as a singer like I wanted to be known for my mind. That was very important for me. I didn't want to be I hate to use this term, but I didn't want to be a dumb blonde. I didn't want to be that as they love to treat artists that way. They love to treat artists like the dumb blonde. And I was like, I need them to respect my mind first for me, and I felt like I had gotten to that point. I have. I'm here now where even just not even just in the music business, people that you know come up to me from the power cast. It's like, man, you know, you give so much information man, So you know your thoughts and the way you look at business and how you go about it. Man, I just respect it. And I'm like, that's enough for me. That is truly enough for me for people to have a different outlook of Oh you got some pretty hair and you can sing? You know what I mean? You know? So I was like, all right, it's time to I got that respect that I wanted, So now it's time for me to get back into, you know, the feel that I've always loved and I've put on hold for different reasons, but just I mean, and I.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for everybody to hear the music. Because his older brother he played it for me fire, and I honestly looked at him and I said, bro, you found it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You know this was a lot of people don't know as an artist, like you're always looking for it? Like what am I? Who am I?
Speaker 2: How do I define who I am? Through my.
Speaker 1: Story?
Speaker 2: And other times when he had other deals, you could tell he was still trying to figure himself out.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even that I was trying to figure myself out out. It was a hustle. Mmkay, was getting too a bag, okay, And I wasn't turning it down, Okay, you know what I'm saying. I was really you know, like I said, I think I'm down. I'm down a quarter million with city boys. I got to get that back. I'm trying to write for other people before I get into that electric deal, you know what I mean. Obviously our deal was I'm a baby, but I was. It was never about me. It was never about like, oh, I'm focused on this. It was like somebody heard a demo, I did a mixtape record, I did a street record or whatever it is. Now people just want to be in business with me what I got. I never had a time to make my album, and this time I did.
Speaker 2: It's special.
Speaker 1: This time I did. And I mean, since we only, I might as well announced what the name of the album is going to be. It's called Conversations with Women mm hmm. And that's what this album is. It's literally conversations with women. It's from every aspect. It's not like a relationship thing. It's relationships absolutely platonic, romantic, whatever they may be. And that's what this album is about. It's about me listening because a lot of it needs to me speaking from what they told me, even from a friendship standpoint. I'm not gonna say what the single is yet. You know the single will drop. What the album is called. The album is called Conversations with Women, and that's what it is.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you.
Speaker 1: So when he starts singing, are you now going to start managing? Listen?
Speaker 3: Man, listen man, we're all hands on deck, hands on deck, we are whatever's needed.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Have you met take the management.
Speaker 2: Derail man?
Speaker 1: You know we set it up.
Speaker 3: It's oh, it's like and it's crazy. It's like, if it's one thing that you can learn from, is this community some way or another. Everybody within that community has a job as a job and a function and they working. That's how we got to treat our community. Whoever next, whoever the next, and now it is time for him to go. You've got to fall in line and figure out what the position is to get that where it needs to be. That's that's the only way it works. It can't be like almost got over a little bit, Let me get some of that. It can't it can't be that. It's got to be how do how do we focus? Hyper focus and get it there. Yeah, and then we have Now we got two monsters. Then we go get the third, then we go get the fourth, and before you know it, we are who we said, we are, who we are who.
Speaker 1: We said R money.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just I'm happy and proud that you know that you're in this space, that you're back in this space. And because you know, I don't, I don't say it lightly or you know, or say it from a space of.
Speaker 1: Well, I am partial to you.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just naturally just what it is, but really cold and most of the nigs out I appreciate it in real life, really are and so it's needed to help restore the balance. Yeah, we don't mind the bullshit, but this real ship has to also measure up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I'm not performing in what I want to the story in because I'll be flying at the store too though, if you catch me at the grocery store, I got some ship on. But that stage is something different. This chair right now is something different. You know, these are fabrics. Talk about it, you know what I mean, It's just shi It is not a game. It's not a game. Because if they can't dress up as you for Halloween. You are not a star. You're not a star. Again, if they cannot dress up as you for Halloween, you are not a Star's a young man. You might need to unbutton another one. So it gets to a certain level mm hmm, and they understand what it is. It's crazy. It's gonna be me for that of times. They always day too. You always say that, And and that's one of the things I look at when I'm looking at artists. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: This group hit me the other day and I was like, man, listen to our song. Listen to listen to this song. And I watched the video if you if you send me something out hear, I listen to it and you don't. You might might not know I do, but I do. And I listened to the song song what's jamming? Niggas can sing? But they look like for random niggas. I'm like, y'all are a group? Yeah, if you haven't learned anything from Jagged Edge, from Once Twice, show Boys Boys to Men, All Great Things, Drew Hill.
Speaker 1: One twelve, like next next like come on, man, look.
Speaker 3: Like truth got to be some uniform look like group look like you know each other, look like you spent time together to find those outfits. Yeah, and that's just from the generation that we came up in. But the dell find come Jackson, come on. All great things we're talking about.
Speaker 1: There's a formula, the wispers, the whispers, first real player ship, there's a formula.
Speaker 2: Look at what your has on.
Speaker 1: I hope they see it. That's R and B money.
Speaker 2: That's all kind of money.
Speaker 1: We can't take it with us, right, nigga about two hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: You gotta understand, like, especially in the business that we in, we got us, we're selling something entertainment, entertainment. I don't want to look like your next door neighbor.
Speaker 1: I can't. I want your next door neighbor to feel like, damn, I gotta look like that so she'll pay me attention. There's that. I gotta put that on its levels. It's les levels, it's levels, it's levels, and those levels have to be represented if we're gonna get back to our true space of dominance, and that's what we are. The way, and that's what you want. You're on the way, the way, on the way. Hold on, man, she got man, I.
Speaker 2: Get the full treatment.
Speaker 1: He going to the I think I got the I have the longest episode of all time, all time. Listen. And you know why they can edit whatever they want because it is the introduction of Valentine. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's enough's enough time. Enough time has gone by without people understanding your history. Yeah, that's it, and we're going to take as much time as we need to make sure they understand what that is.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. Sure. In the big game, no, Valentine sing a lot of R and B over.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: You've watched a lot of rn B. You've heard a lot of.
Speaker 4: R n B your students of this R and B.
Speaker 1: Game, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You have to have.
Speaker 4: The top five.
Speaker 1: Top five.
Speaker 4: A top five, top five R and B singer lot and me song go.
Speaker 3: Valentine's top thought too big top though, I didn't you Valentine got of time.
Speaker 2: You Yeah, thank you, bro.
Speaker 1: I appreciate I got my time treatment treatment. Yea valent time. Your top five R and B singers? Are we going singers? First? Singers? Singers ringers course?
Speaker 2: Okay, I can't prepare, Oh yeah, I can't prepare.
Speaker 1: I can't prepare. You know you know this the show works. Yeah, yeah, okay, but you know a lot goes on during the interview, so sometimes you need to you need to take your note. You understand Shawn Stocking, and my next will tell you why I chose Shan Stock, Joe Joe Hayley. They are Swiss Army Knights. Anything they can, whatever you want, They're gonna give it to you anything. So I'm starting with those two. Jasmine Sullivant, mm hmm. Jazmine Sullivant.
Speaker 3: They had this thing where, like I guess they have this new thing going around, which she was, you know, acting like the rent was due. Yeah, I see, like the rent was due. And she was singing live somewhere and she was singing like if I don't if I don't sing like this tonight, I'm gonna be home and they're gonna cut one of my feets off.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. That's how I got because she's she there for me. Whitney Houston. Yeah, voice, the voice, the voice, and my guy number five, I know where you're going, babyface. Mm hmmm, baby face. Those are my top five for me. And I think if you hear me say about to say that, they all makes sense I can't sing like them. I sing yeah you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like those are you are to me? Babyface for sure without it. I appreciate that because you can. I appreciate that you make less sound like more. And Babyface is the king of that. Oh yeah yeah, if I could be half of that, Yeah yeah, you got that. You have that that type of gift, all right, mister Valentine. The Valentine like to say, that's so eloquently your top five R and B songs.
Speaker 1: I'm ready. DI didn't love her live live, I'm on.
Speaker 3: Live.
Speaker 1: Just still love her. Lie that scream that that woman does. Talk about it, talk about the scream. I need it at some point. I need that scream. You know what sucks is now that you didn't got me hooked on any ears. I might not never hear it. I don't hear what's going on in my ears. But I need that scream. So I'm gonna tell him to turn up to the crowd.
Speaker 2: The crowd.
Speaker 1: I need to have that scream. It's different. I might run out there and give her a hug if I hear that scree in real life.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling you're gonna hear that.
Speaker 3: It's the lady at this girl at the gym, at this equinox down in Houston. She wanted to do the screen for you. She told me, she said, Hey, when you see Ja Valentine, can you tell him that, you know, if he needs a second or third wife. Wow, I'm available, I cook, I clean, I have my own job, I have my more money.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm his brother, so and I'm married, super married, and so they get my d ms all about him.
Speaker 4: Can you tell.
Speaker 1: On his line that I'm shooting my shot? Can you all the time?
Speaker 3: All the time, I was like, I'm trying to do chest lady, I'm just trying to you know, when you when you when you talk to Jay, make sure he knows that. Yeah, so distant love her live.
Speaker 1: You'll get the screen. Untitled.
Speaker 3: You're getting deep into these See what type of time can deep deep into the crase Today? I'm tired untitled Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Because I love you, Lenny Williams mm hmmm. It's birth, so many right and so many emotions and so many it's everything. That record is everything. That record is everything to me. This one's gonna throw y'all prototype that's not.
Speaker 3: Gonna throw and shook me up when I first heard it, because I didn't think he should have been able to do that. I don't like that he did. Hope that you're the one, and if not, you are the prototype. I hate that he sang it as a singer. Got on my nerves. It sounded great, amazing. Oh the Jesus Christ. I hope that you're the one.
Speaker 1: I think I'm in love. I think I'm in love. Yeah. Now, that record to me is man, it's a it's and it's a classic vote cool yeah, yeah, yeah, no, you know what I love. He really thought about this though. Yeah, he's cooking.
Speaker 3: It's a classic. It's a classic R and B vocal. Yeah, no rapper has a classic R and B vocal. Right, No, that's that's that's it.
Speaker 1: That's it. That record is is special. And I'm you know, since I am, I would consider myself at heart and when I still file taxes, I fiul taxes under songwriter. So I'm going I'm going to do more than five songs, and nobody's going to tell me, yeah, go ahead and sing it because I ain't going out. I ain't going out.
Speaker 2: I ain't going out because if it's five, Because if it's five.
Speaker 1: Slowly. Oh that's why I be wanting to fight you when you don't, because at that point you're not my brother anymore. I'm a fan. I'm a fan man. I'm mad at you for that little snippet on tiny desks. You don't disrespect slowly like that, brother, I don't care. No, not not slow not slowly? Slowly's back slowly, bro slowly. You're right, and listen. I'm only going on tour with you again. If you sing slowly, I won't go. They be like, why ain't you here? The nigga said he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Saying you say, he ain't gonna go?
Speaker 4: He ain't you know?
Speaker 1: I'm all right, So I'm gonna do this fast, do this fast, contagious mm hmm. He me and my sisters and brothers every family function, we picked the male and female parts and we sing contagious at the top of our lunges.
Speaker 4: What the hell is going on between?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: So contagious, even gonna get into our baby face? Where will we? Where will you go?
Speaker 2: Would people don't even know about that while we're there?
Speaker 1: And break my heart because that's still a babyface.
Speaker 2: Get you.
Speaker 1: By Daniel Ces the record right there. Man, who would have thought? Who would have thought? I get you? I love those lyrics because I say it all the time, Like I don't write from that perspective, because you know, the girls I've wanted in my life, I've been able to date, and I appreciate them for dating me, but I've never like I love I love dreams, I love your girl. I knew I could never write that record. I've never wanted another niggas girl, So I don't even know how that feels. And that's that's just being very honest, Like if you got your girl, nigga, I'm never I'm not going to I'm not going to look at her toy nice to meet you. I might hear her, I might hear her with a heisman if she tried to hurt, but you respect because that's that man's woman. I'm just not that type of I'm not that type of guy, and I don't I don't look at it from that standpoint honesty. Pink Sweats, I think I saw an ig of him singing that he's in front of like he's incredible, four or five, it's incredible. I love that kid. I love that kid. Super Crazy, Summer Walker Body, and fun Girl. Fun Girl is about Yeah, Okay, y'all go find Funer those who know, and then top twenty My last one, my last one, forever, my lady. Ah hell, and it means that much to me, and it means that much to me, and it means that much to me. So that's you know, I did forty seven thousand songs like these are the people that I love and the music that I love.
Speaker 3: And you know you're keeping me warm, you keep me warm. That's time you told your woman she's keeping you warm. You keep me warm.
Speaker 1: Woman. Yeah, if this is ecstasy and probably boys to men's, then you can't leave them out. Oh wow, I'm not going with the records. Everybody love. I think that's how you.
Speaker 2: Boys instantly getting something you want to get close to your woman.
Speaker 1: Put that on a woman you think might want to get close to you. Put boys and men put that put that boy to men. Yea, yeah, So that's that's my top.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Jay, let's do a voltron. Okay, let's do a volt tron. You know we need the vocal, the performance style, the styling, and the heart of the artists. Oh and and and I'm gonna add I'm gonna add one more for you, Okay. The mind that the intellect of the entity. Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: So the vocal, the vocal, My vocal is is a hybrid Charlie Wilson and Marvin Gay. Ship. That's nasty. That's that's my hybrid of a voice. I think all R and B at some point gets to those two guys. Try to find your way with Marvin Gay and uh and Charlie Wilson. Okay, yet, I'm ready. That's heavy bike, uh, performance style, Michael Jackson, that's easy and then that was coming easy styling Prince mm hmm. Just think go ahead that I'm not ready to do the heel because that's just not me. And you know, I'm I'm taller than the average man, so I don't need a hell five to eleven is taller than the average man. Talk about I'm not, you know, not a giant. If I put on a heel, now, it's like, okay, nigga, you just want to be six three? You got a four inch heel?
Speaker 2: Jay?
Speaker 1: Wrong?
Speaker 2: We ain't never doing that, man. What is your doing?
Speaker 1: I tripping dancing?
Speaker 2: Ship his legs?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The last week, sweep that leg.
Speaker 1: So prince the heart of the artist's passion, my other I got another hybrid mm hmm. James Brown and Rick James Ship to the Coldest Niggas Ship stump down, stumped down, and I'm int there, not playing, They're not fucking around. And then the mind, the mind Michael Jackson, he bought the Beatles, publishing the own half of Sony ATV diabolical, diabolical, Michael Jackson doesn't get the credit as a businessman that he deserves.
Speaker 3: Can't give you that credit because then you're going to you're going to follow that blueprint. Yes, yes, you're not allowed to follow that blueprint.
Speaker 1: When they're trying to buy the Marvel comic trying to buy everything, Michaels, trying by everything assets Michaels in Vegas. He was part of with Steve when assets Michael's something different. Bro, you guys just sing music. Don't worry about the assets, the publishing, intellectual the intellectual properties. Don't worry about that, ye see. So Michael Jackson is my business mind ship. Yeah, and his artist is crazy. Listen, and then I'm gonna run off my quick while you're playing, before you start playing Piano'm gonna run off my quick R and B groups since I originally come from a group Boyster Men, Josy Jackson. Five new addition, new addition, The Whispers. Those are my top five groups. The Whispers in there, those are my top five groups. Love him Diggers is so cold, It's so cold.
Speaker 2: We go to this cat A lot of this is our podcast.
Speaker 1: Right to Ship, Yes, sir, I have to pay.
Speaker 2: I might have to pay Ruben and and and Jacob overtime. Just charge to me cheap. I'll take. I'll take the.
Speaker 1: Okay, ship, all right, we go. I think you know what's coming up? Ship.
Speaker 4: I ain't saying no nick, no names. I ain't saying no names, saying no name.
Speaker 1: What you did, I ain't.
Speaker 4: Saying name.
Speaker 1: Jay? Yeah, this is actually segment you made up. Yeah, so they're gonna ask me my question. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Hope me some ship I ain't never heard. I got, I got story, give me some funny st stories.
Speaker 1: I got funny fucked up. Yeah, I'm never gonna do that. Yeah, you talk about.
Speaker 2: What this is Jays, This is Jay, this is Jazz, this is Jays. I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's my I ain't saying no names. I got a couple in here that I could just pull from. But we'll studies. Okay, okay, because cos I came on here and told multiples but whatever. So some years back, me and one of my guys, man, uh, and I don't go to a lot of concerts, but he's like, man, come come to this concert with me. I was like, all right, cool, cool, cool, cool man. You know some of the homies performing. Blah blah. I was like, okay, So we drive down to Fresno. Drive to Fresno. Uh, Fresno is about two hours and a half hours, depending on how fast you're driving, for sure, Okay, give me three. So we go to the show and uh we stay to the end. We stay to the end, and you know, headed back to LA and one of the one of the people that are performing m or that performed that night because it's multiple artists on it, and one of the artists is like, hey, man, can I Jake, can I ride with you back to uh to l a truck a bus or something. But you know ship okay, because I had you know, I had a truck, and so I'm like cool, So next thing, I know, he walks, you know, over back to where they were to talk to someone else, and you know, I get in the car here like hit hit hit uh, hit the truck for me. Hit the back thing. It's a it's a it's an suv. It's like the extent I don't know why my ass had it I rented, you know, like the long bed. Uh yeah, one of the extend exhales.
Speaker 2: Right, So I hit the hit the things.
Speaker 1: He put his bag back there, and then he's like, hey, can she ride with us?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 1: I'm not tripping like you're the homie. I don't know you as well yet, but you know, it's it's all good. Can we can ride? And she looks like Fresno? She looks like Fresno. You know how like when you go to cities for.
Speaker 2: Every I could tell that she. I could tell that she that she didn't take the ride with she didn't fly.
Speaker 1: In with him. I just knew it. You know, you go to cities and you're like, oh, you look like your local. You look like Dallas you look I mean it's certain local looks of women just in different cities.
Speaker 2: They dress.
Speaker 1: Like a local, right, pretty girl? You know, hi, she hops in. She says hi, says hi to me and my homie, and we're riding. And now it's the end of the show. So it's maybe eleven twelve at night. Were on Highway five. You've driven Highway five. You've driven Highway five. It's pitch black, it's dark. So we rhying, were listening to music, being a homie. We talking and shit and next thing, WI hear some heavy naked that's whatever. I say. Okay, that's cool, that's cool, you know what I mean, Like, I'm not, I ain't driven. He wants some activities.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 1: We got it. We got a long ride, man, you know. And then we hear like, oh, they're letting the sea back. Okay, but now I think they have climbed into the back. So I'm looking at the at the thing like I just want to make sure to hit something. So I look and I just see the back of two people going over and letting down. I'm like, oh no, no, they're about to get to it. Nigga Ryan. For about another five now, it sounds like some different type of smacking, you know that you know, like you know, maybe a little filatio or something, a little you know, it's activities mash. So I'm like, okay, getting bossed up, Okay, getting bossed up. But the next thing I hear is.
Speaker 2: I didn knock my motherfucker watch like this, and I'm like, no, no, man, no, And I look at the homie.
Speaker 4: And he's like yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: And me and him are boat trying to figure out a way not to look at the like to look in the rear view.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see what's going on, but I can hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, man, we're driving, he's he is giving her the business man putting on the shows. He's putting on the show for me and the homie dog he put on the show. I have to get gas, bro, I've driven the fres now, now I got to drive home, honey gas. So I'm like, you know when you go to the gas station. N Yeah, I'm like, ship mmm, get off. Smacking stops a little bit because they could tell I'm getting off. The homie. Like we pull into the gas station, You're like, y'all want something from you want something from stove.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, brodn't even wanted to shake your hair right now? What have you been doing? You want to get me a gatorade. No, and I'm still.
Speaker 1: Looking at the steer where I'm like, hey, broke, you gotta pump the gas.
Speaker 4: Bro, I'm just here.
Speaker 1: And get in. He got a couple of Gatorays, maybe a water, nigga. He goes to the gatorade. Down, nigga. We get another five minutes.
Speaker 2: He back to it.
Speaker 1: No way, he have to be on the pill man he.
Speaker 2: Had yeah, man, yeah, something last too long with the kids on.
Speaker 5: Now he had to be on a perk thirty you gotta be giving it a perky man, man.
Speaker 1: He knocked her down from the for the rest of the trip. Rest of the trip, y'all to listen to that for the rest of the trip. Turn the music up loud, turn the music up from the realm. Because I'm not a hater.
Speaker 3: Almost three albums, I'm not a hater. They might have took like a half a nap. Poundtown Baby, they got right back.
Speaker 2: That girl got that song right now, Pound.
Speaker 1: Town, Poundtown. I told her a new one. So then we get to La dropping them off at the hotel.
Speaker 2: I'm like, bro, what you going.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, I'm about to go upstairs and let her have it some more. Then she gotta find her way back to fress though. I said, if this ain't a oh my gosh, I ain't saying.
Speaker 2: Names, that's a great story, great story.
Speaker 1: I ain't saying on names. Wow, oh Poundtown. I don't know what to say?
Speaker 4: Should should I hate it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I felt like I was a It's like, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, maybe there should be some courtesy involved, like like, look, you know, appreciate you let me ride.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna probably dig this out, Like is that alright with you? Wipe up there? Y'all got wipes up there?
Speaker 3: Like y'all got any type of towel lets like should be stopping by a big towel. I don't know how that's gonna go. I feel like there should have been some type of maybe absolutely or you know, y'all want something to like some just just.
Speaker 4: Include everybody.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like some type of I would have turned to that, of course you would, you know. I'm just trying to think about it's gonna have been sensibly avoided. Uh yeah, that's my that's my story, man, that's my saying that. That's a no timer bro downtown, that's a nold timer. That's yes, we alred to beat that one. I'm gonna that's right with or Lynx punching whoever in the face.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: That's what would you say after all the stuff that we've talked about, what would you say is your greatest accomplishment?
Speaker 1: My kids? Yeah? My kids? I uh, that's my ultimate sacrifice for everything, Like I could make way more money, do way more things. I never want to have that conversation to where they feel like I chose anything over them at this point. For me, at this stage of my life, I'm not sacrificing my time with them for anything, Like I'm going to figure out how to get to soccer practice and basketball practice and volleyball camp, graduation, take them to school, like I'm going to figure it out. Like I can't do it every single day and all day long, but I'm getting my time and so to me, that's that's my greatest accomplishment. I've made money, I've had success. Nothing felt like that. Yeah, nothing felt like you know, my kids being born. And you know then I be acting like I hit a three, Like yeah, bab how you do that again? See dad? If you just have to loosen your hips, Dad, you know how Naomi get out so just docing Naomi, well, my greatest accomplishment. But ja, we love you brother. That goes saying I love you man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You know, in terms of this, I just think it's so much more, so much more left for you to do, so much more left for you to accomplish. And at this point very happy that we're on the road two. Putting the face with the name, putting the face to the music. You should understand, Yeah, this is why where are the authorities on all.
Speaker 1: Things R and B? Yeah? Yeah, And you know, I'm set out to put us in a space that nobody ever can do what we did. That's that's it. We managed each other, we both made records. We made an amazing podcast because I will say that our podcast, bro is a great joy for me. Like this, this this thing that we have, man, that that we've done along with Ruben and with Jacob and with Boh, this is this is amazing. I have a great time doing it and I would I would do it for free, but I'm not going to do it for free. And you know, when when our when our first you know, our first deal is up, because we do got one deal in place, but when that first deal is up. Yeah, it's gonna get Beverly Hills here. I come here. I come like the way that sound, like the way that sound. I like Beverly Hills. I like Beverly. Fuck all them, getty communities, all of them. I need it.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful thing how it all comes together.
Speaker 3: Not if when, not if, it's don't fucking happen. Just the work, you know what I'm saying. That's one thing that nobody can take from us.
Speaker 1: We do the work.
Speaker 3: You do the work, brother, and thank you, bro. That's that's what's gonna last. Work's gonna last hard working dedication is Floyd mad Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we do and we do it like yes that you know obviously everybody knows. I I get back to the numbers and the money. But this is for the culture. Like this thing that we do is for the culture. And we take that very serious and we want people to see it in that light. You gotta you gotta really love this ship absolutely to do it. We can really be invested in this thing that we you know, this R and B, this music business, because it also isn't just an R and B podcast. It's called R and B Money because that's the name of our company and we want to cement that in people's minds. But this is not just an R and B podcast. We talk about everything. We can talk to anybody and shout out to our senior Hall for coming to that dressing room at the Forum and telling us that we got something and that we can we can continue his legacy. I'll never forget that. I'll never forget him and there telling jokes with our kids like I love you, Bro, I don't, I don't know you like that. But from that moment, you can do no wrong in my eyes, and ultimately I hope that we can we can continue to do this at this level and take this to you know, hire places and give people a safe place us to come and be themselves. Absolutely so, yeah, ladies and gentlemen. Uh, I am Tank. This is Bob.
Speaker 3: And this is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B. This has been a special, a special special segment for your five Park segment top eighty two, and in just reintroducing and introducing you to our brother Dave and make sure you understand who and what he is and where we're going on over this. I hope you are Buckle love my brother.
Speaker 1: I love a lot of work. Love you. I love you, Yeah for Real Lady Dave bal.
Speaker 4: R and B Money.
Speaker 1: R and B Money is a production of the Black Affect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at j Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com, forward Slash, R and B Money