Speaker 1: How many proms did you go to?
Speaker 2: Everyone? Now, what does that mean? Everyone?
Speaker 1: Did you go to a prom from the time you were a freshman? Were you one of those people? Did you go to four proms?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 2: No, I did not go to prom my freshman year. I did not.
Speaker 1: But you went sophomore, junior, and senior year.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I had my boyfriend my freshman year at the beginning of the year was a senior of course, and.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, I don't I did go.
Speaker 3: You know what I did go my freshman year. I went from the set of a pilot that I was doing. I got ready at the set and then the limo picked us up there and we went to the prom from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you went to four freshman year prom.
Speaker 2: Dress looked like a wedding dress. That was ridiculous. It was white. I'd gloves, That's the whole thing. Do you know what?
Speaker 1: You know what I wore to my freshman I were the same thing to my freshman, sophomore, and senior prompt. You know what? It was a black nothing. Because I didn't go. Because all of us get a chance to go to prom four times, Sabrina, Wait, you didn't go to one why I went to a junior prom with a friend of mine.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, then you did go to a prom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to one junior problem with one junior prom. Okay. I was on Boy Meets World and couldn't get a date for my senior prom. So I went bowling with a bunch of guys.
Speaker 2: Probably were busy. They probably wouldn't even let you go, no, because you're probably working. No, I was back in Connecticut. I was. I was there, I was at high school and you couldn't you couldn't get a date.
Speaker 3: Will I feel like it's true? I need to talk to I need to phone one of your brothers or something. I's it's true, It's true.
Speaker 1: The night of the senior prom, I ended up going bowling with a bunch of underclassmen who were hippies, and we couldn't rent shoes because they only had Teva's and they forgot their socks. So, oh, everybody just smoke pot in the parking lot of the bowling alley.
Speaker 2: That was senior prom. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we literally couldn't rent shoes because they didn't have socks, these little hippie kids, right.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, I would say, back then, we did actually go to the prom.
Speaker 3: Now there were you know situations happening on the way to the prom. I remember pulling up and seeing this big party bus, a big bus full of other kids that they turned on the lights and there was you know, drinking and stuff on the bus.
Speaker 1: Which one of the four problems was this that you went to that was my junior year.
Speaker 3: Was the the seniors that did that. And I remember going, you're so I mean, all the security guards were out there, they all got busted.
Speaker 2: It was crazy.
Speaker 3: But now I feel like when I talked to the girls, if they go to the dances at all anymore, they maybe stay for a hot second and then their main night is going to like the parties or whatever. Yeah, they don't really go. Well, they don't tell me they go to parties. They would never admit, they direct to me, but they don't really go to the actual dance. That was my favorite part, going and dancing with all the girls and your your guy, your date would come on the floor for a little bit, maybe a slow dance here and there, but it was always about a fun night with your girlfriends. I loved dances. I went as many as I could.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Well, tell your girls if they go to the prom this year to bring socks or they're not gonna be up for rent shoes at the bowling. Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pgs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilfordell and I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: Okay, well let's age it up, everybody, because we're entering uncharted territory with this week's movie, our most modern recap and I'm sorry, I'm gonna say it out loud, but not a dcom. It's a dcom, but not a d coom. Twenty twenty three is Coming of Age Romantic Comedy prom Packed and Oh This Is Not Your Parent arans d com garnering the first ever TV fourteen in the channel's history, ushering a new era for the tradition now. When it first aired on Disney Channel Proper on March thirty first of last year, there were minor bits of the dialogue that were edited. For instance, there's a supermarket scene that talks about putting a p in a v I will let you decide what that is. But that was a d com and so they edited out some of that dialogue. But once it was then released onto Disney Plus, everything was back intact. It was reportedly first set to be a Disney Plus exclusive, but once the channel saw it and they loved it so much, they decided they would air the entire premiere. It was considered a big success for the channel, especially when it came to the reviews. Michael Nordine a Variety called it quote a fresh take on Teendom's Big Night, saying that the performance of Peyton Elizabeth Lee would make Molly Ringwald proud, and Collider said it's the perfect choice of a flick for you to watch when you're in the mood for something light and fun. It was an excellent cast, The jokes come easy, and it's a true celebration of friendship. By the way, I agree with all of that. Still didn't feel like a deco. We'll get into the entire film obviously, but we're talking about the thirty seven problems that you went to. Did you were there promposals like they had here? Were there the crazy prom asks? So?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: This I mean I was so fun to think about it. It wasn't I would say, as dressed up and comical as the ones that were in this movie. But I know I want to throw out the last one I was asked to thou that was senior, my junior prom because my boyfriend was a senior. So when it was my senior year, I actually did some asking of him to call my dances because he was out of high school. So that's what happened with that. But my last one I had. I came home and there.
Speaker 2: Was hershey kisses, just a big thick row of.
Speaker 3: Hershey kisses leading up to my bathroom, and then in my shower were roses everyone, and it says, I kiss the ground you walk on and shower you with roses?
Speaker 2: Will you go to proms? Oh that's very sweet.
Speaker 1: So someone broke into your home and into your shower, that's very My.
Speaker 2: Parents let him in. But one made me think of one.
Speaker 3: I remember a girlfriend of mine got pulled over while she was driving and the cop gave her a ticket that said prom with I think it was Nathan or something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is such a sweet and horrible allocation of the money that people need to pay the police. Horrible.
Speaker 2: No, but that's clever.
Speaker 3: That would have scared me because anytime anything happens, when every time I've gotten pulled over, the cop comes to my door and I'm crying because I get so scared getting pulled over, that I would not have liked that one.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to ask if you've been pulled over more or gone to prom more.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know the answer. No, not just a few times. I speed a little bit, yeah I do. But the big one.
Speaker 3: I remember we were out at break and we heard an airplane and I'm kid you not. Someone had paid for someone to have I think it was homecoming or hope, like they call it hoko something. It wasn't prom, but it was one of those with a with an airplane in the sky and all of us with a banner, No the written out ones.
Speaker 1: Oh they did the actual writing. It wasn't the banner school.
Speaker 3: And I just remember going, oh, my gosh, that's not cheap either, that's not cheap. But I couldn't believe it. So, yeah, this was It was a big deal. When I was in high school. How you got asked It wasn't just getting a date. It was how did they ask.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad that that wasn't the thing in my school because it would have been twice as bad. By the way, everybody, you can watch this on Disney Plus. I don't think I said that, but this is currently on Disney Plus right now. Yes, the the unedited after Dark with P and V version. Oh, it's on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: We talked last week about how we are essentially myself especially, but even you now kind of out of the dcom game when it comes to the newer ones. So had you ever heard of I had not.
Speaker 2: I really had not, and I was I.
Speaker 3: Feel like, as I know what it was like to do things for the Channel, I feel like I have no idea I am. I mean watching this movie was there's my Sabrina that you have to see?
Speaker 2: How long it is?
Speaker 3: It's it sees lots because it's like, wait a minute, where are the standards and practices who used to drive us crazy with everything from wardrobe to what can be said?
Speaker 1: Tons to see yes, oh my gosh, and they would.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was good because it was the Channel, but this was like that person got fired.
Speaker 2: There's no way that person was on set at all.
Speaker 1: Now they were in a whole different category here. But anyway, before we check our mailboxes for our Harvard acceptance letter. See I said mailboxes, I just age myself before we check our smartphones, before we refresh our smartphones to chest for our Harvard acceptance letter. Let's get into the synopsis of the film. It is the height of prompt season, but high school senior Mandy Yang has her sight set on a singular goal, attending Harvard good goal. When she finds out she's been waitlisted, She's determined to do whatever she can to get herself off that waitlist, even if it means neglecting her best friend Ben and befriending Graham Lancing, the all star jock whose father is a powerful senator and a Harvard alum.
Speaker 2: What'd you think?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, he likes to be called an athlete, not a jock. So I'm gonna stop you right there.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: Hey, I liked that. I liked it.
Speaker 3: I felt jock is now kind of dated. I and the athletes are considered athletes. But I honestly, I have two ways of looking at this. Of course, I'm going to compare my experience on the channel, But more.
Speaker 2: So I loved this movie.
Speaker 3: I had to stop and go, is this a Disney Channel original movie? This was on the channel because it was so much more filmed like an actual film. I kept thinking, oh wait, I must have it wrong in my head. Let me check Tara's messages, you know, thinking this was on ABC. I did not think that this ever really was actually on the channel. So I was waiting and waiting for the notes from Jensen and Mackayla to come over to tell us more about it, because I was like, what is the real deal? So hearing that it actually was for Disney Plus, then it was on the channel, then it was edited to be on the channel, that all made sense and I could rest easy because I.
Speaker 1: Was so good.
Speaker 2: It's DC I know, but it's a dcom. But it didn't air completely like that.
Speaker 3: Like the words the dialogue for me was the most of okay, now we're really changing like the standard of what would be four Kids on Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: Right, I know it's It certainly did not feel like a dcom, but it was. I even checked it starts to my big Disney Channel original movie.
Speaker 3: I was amazed, Frank, I know, I had to check, though, I just because of what was happening, and how I just thought.
Speaker 2: From the beginning of the production.
Speaker 3: Value and just everything, it looked so much bigger than what we've seen on a lot of the d coms.
Speaker 1: I really liked it.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: I know, I really, I really liked it. You know what it reminded me of. It reminded me of more of the vibe of like easy A.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see it?
Speaker 1: Do you see that movie? Like something along those lines where it was. I thought the acting was top notch. It looked amazing. It just and I'm not trying to bash on the dcoms that we've been watching, but it looked like it was like one step up from what the other d cooms kind of were. Even stuff like Descendants, which is a new a newer kind of dcom, didn't feel as fresh and modern and high level acting, high level writing as this movie was. Well.
Speaker 3: And I think the talking about the cast, we've we've known that these d comms, their demo was really eleven.
Speaker 2: Fourteen is kind of what their target audience was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the more so reflected that this one, you could tell they aged it up. The actors all look a lot more like what a high school, not just the high school, but seniors in high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, not even freshman, sophomore.
Speaker 1: So they looked the ages they were supposed to play. It looked age appropriate.
Speaker 3: Yes, everything just looked a lot more grown and sophisticated. So I and it totally comes right from the start. I loved it. It was I felt like I was watching a movie that I went, like easy a to.
Speaker 2: The theaters to go see not.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: It was awesome. I loved it. I cannot wait to keep talking about it.
Speaker 1: The movie stars Peyton Elizabeth Lee as Mandy, who was incredible. She's best in his Disney's Andy Mack, becoming one of the studios go to young stars ever since the movie a Secret Society of the second Born Royals, and as the lead child prodigy in the Doogie Howser reboot Doogie Howser Kamel Loha Hope. I said it right, md Ugh. It's worth noting also she is one of the producers of the movie. She's like nineteen years old. She's one of the producers, which is awesome, showing that Disney gives a lot more power to its younger stars. In the d coms nowadays, and I love that it's like her voice was in there.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think Raven was one of the first to really get a producing credit. She did a lot of producing things on her show, but also produced the second Cheetah Girls. So I love that Disney gives that opportunity to their actors.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Milo Manheim, who is also phenomenal, plays her best friend, Ben Plunkett. Dcom fans know him as Zombi Z and the Zombies trilogy, which I keep hearing about, and Daniel Fisher and Ryder Strong are fighting over which one of them gets to come on our show to talk about zombies. He is only the nineteenth actor to have starred in four or more Disney Channel original movies. Some of the others on the list, as you just said, Raven Simone, Dove, Cameron, Kimberly, J Brown, and Kirsten Storms, just to name a few. He also finished in second place on Dancy with the Stars in twenty eighteen, and I have heard from a number of people that everyone should have won.
Speaker 2: He should have won.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't know anything about that, though, Serena, would you?
Speaker 3: I mean being being paired with Whitney on that show Whinny Carson. She's just incredible. I heard he was amazing. I didn't watch that season, but I think I'm gonna now go.
Speaker 2: Have to check it out, so stream it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna have to go check him out on it because he was so good in this movie.
Speaker 1: And his mother is actress Cameron Manhut, which is kind of cool. Wendy McClendon Covey is Alyssa Yang. That's Mandy's mom. She broke out on one of my favorite ever television shows of all time, Comedy Central's Reno nine one one. If you haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Could watch her arm creepy. This woman is amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: So funny, but probably best known for her time on The Goldbergs as Beverly Goldberg, which got nominated for two Critics' Choice Awards. She also had a starring role in the massive movie Bridesmaids and was very funny that. She is just one of those people who was just flat out funny. Yeah. And in the Dabney Coleman chair of this film, we have the pioneering comedian Margaret cho as ms Chen, the school counselor. She is a legendary stand up comedian who came out as gay before that was something easy to do in Hollywood. She had her own sitcom, All American Girl, which shot next to another small sitcom called Boy Meets World. We used to hang out with them all the time on ABC Knights and ninety four. I was dominated for an Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy for her portrayal of Kim Jong Eel on thirty Rock. She is also a huge fan of my favorite musician of all time, Bob Mould, and I saw her singing Bob Mould classics at Bob Mould's birthday at the Disney Concert Hall. Nobody cares about that, but I do.
Speaker 2: But it was awesome. She looked amazing and she's so good again.
Speaker 1: Super funny. They're just funny, legitimately funny people in well written roles. They all of them were just relaxed and easy. And this is a fun easy watch. Some of the movies I'm not gonna say which ones, even if they're short plus bucket, are not the easiest watch. This one was great and I could have watched all over the place. Yes, the movie runs ninety eight minutes, which is eight minutes above our target and was directed by Anya Adams, who's been behind the camera on TV shows like Yellowjackets and Fresh off the Boat. And it was written by Anthony Lombardo, who was a writer's assistant on Modern Family and had a story by credit there before moving on to a writing gig on American Housewife. It was filmed, Sit down, everybody. I'm amazed to have to say this in Canada, where mostly if they don't shoot in Utah, it is in Canada. And the producers of the movie include some very very familiar names like Julie Bowen, the multi time Emmy winner for her role as Claire Dumfy on Modern Family. She's an executive producer along with super producers Jake Kasden and Melvin Marr. As I mentioned earlier, Peyton Elizabeth Lee was also a co producer. It was top to bottom, a list, everything, just everything.
Speaker 3: And it brought out all the big guns for this guy.
Speaker 1: They did, and you can tell it just watches like a movie that exactly what you said, old school rom com that you would have gone to the theater to watch Molly Ringwall, to watch any of these kinds. This was that vibe which is so different from all the other dcoms that we've watched, not saying better or worse, but way different. Right, speaking of that, let's talk about how edgy this was. I mean, again, it was only a year ago, but totally okay.
Speaker 3: Let me pull out my Sabrina seas because you're jumping well, no, I mean, I just want to.
Speaker 2: Go through because we're good.
Speaker 3: We've got to talk about all of them, and there's just right from the start, this is when I went, wait, is this a dcom? Yeah, she says two minutes into the movie, dumb. Yes, I rewound it dumb. I'm thinking, I'm trying to figure out what I'm hearing that's not dumb, that it's something else, and I'm going to no, yeah, I rewounded, And I asked, Jordan, do you hear what she says? She's saying, dumb, Sabrina, what's wrong? I'm like, this is a movie, Jordan, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: What's wrong?
Speaker 2: This is that? That's not it? So I put on the captions edit in fact is dumbe?
Speaker 1: It is flatbrocast that now that is one of the things that was edited off of the channel but but on Disney Plus. But still I thought the same thing. I heard dumb, and I was like, wait, what.
Speaker 3: Oh what was I wait a minute, what And then it gets worse, it gets.
Speaker 2: It does worse.
Speaker 1: So okay, first of all, this was, as we said in the beginning, Disney's first foray in a TV fourteen, which is focusing on teens as opposed to tweens or younger, and you know, they talk about at one point the thing that amazed me, so dumb is one thing. But I was like, okay, by the end of Boy Meets World, we were allowed to say dumb. We couldn't at the beginning we said dumb. I think at one point, okay, there were certain things that we kind of were allowed to say. So it was like, all right, that's I kind of get that. When it got into then sitting in the grocery store or he says, oh, you've hooked up with a girl I'm talking about in your p inter v.
Speaker 2: I was going, wait a minute, what's happening right now? This is when I started researching.
Speaker 3: This is when I jumped on my phone and started looking up.
Speaker 2: There's just no way. It just shocked me.
Speaker 3: I really, you know, again, if it was a movie that I was planning on watching, absolutely but I'm thinking of what our normal Disney Channel audiences, and so I'm assuming that had to have gotten bleeped out right on the channel.
Speaker 2: There's just no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I think was one that was taken out of the channel as well.
Speaker 2: But it was so.
Speaker 1: Yes, perfect work. It was absolutely jarring to be like, what what what just happened? They had got high school parties.
Speaker 2: With talking about alcohol and drinking and solo cops.
Speaker 1: Thankfully at least they have great This movie had the best LGBTQ. Yes, it seamlessly was part of the story. It was just representation, perfectly represented. It was not it was just life. It was normal life the way that it should be. Yeah, and it was awesome. The way they did it was seemed.
Speaker 2: I loved it as well, but they were saying friggin' sucks hell skid mark.
Speaker 1: One of the guys no nuts, and again they know. The way they describe it is that he couldn't eat nuts in a in a chocolate bar, but it comes off as no.
Speaker 3: Very much, Yes, bend no nuts, plunk it. Oh my gosh, whoa it was?
Speaker 1: And then they start doing things which Disney Channel normally doesn't do, which is talking about major products, like they go to Macaroni grill, They're going to Olive Garden. I mean, it was just everything about this movie did not seem Disney Channel esque.
Speaker 3: There is also not usually a song that is a recognizable top forties hit.
Speaker 2: There were many of those.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of throwbacks of eighties music as well, but there were actual top forty hits in this in this movie, which is as we know, they usually create their own music to go along with the movies or it's not real, real big you know, music that.
Speaker 2: They'd have to actually, yeah, pay for, do you right? But the big budget totally they did.
Speaker 1: And that's a perfect This is a perfect place to talk about how the prom theme, which was the eighties, was an on running theme from the music, from the throwbacks to the movies. Now, that was one of the things that was interesting to me because I didn't did you have any trouble again, I'm very far removed from high school. I'm about to have my ninety seventh high school reunion or whatever the hell it is. But it's one of those things where did do you think high schoolers nowadays would get all of the eighties references? Because I obviously got them all, but even some of them were slightly obscure.
Speaker 3: No, I think they would more so get nineties stuff right now because it's so big everywhere. They've asked me who Janet Jackson was before, and oh yeah, gasp, it was. It was shocking and awful. Barely really know Britney spears. It was barely really know Britney Spears, you know when I then the only reason why they know groups like Death Leopard and Nirvana is because they're sold on T shirts.
Speaker 2: At right to you know what topic from twenty one?
Speaker 3: They're sold on T shirts. They don't really know the band, nor do they know any of the music. It's just it's more so I would say nineties is what they might know a little bit.
Speaker 2: More about it. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'd also like you to help you in my stots Forever forty seven it just sell sweatpants per so, I mean, so good?
Speaker 2: Is it the best? Do you think if you went up to.
Speaker 1: The girls on your your dance team, would they know what Say Anything Is or Ghostbusters or Revenge of the Nerves.
Speaker 2: They would know, they would know.
Speaker 3: The remakes, They would know the remakes. They would know the remake Ghostbusters. They would know what has been redone, but they wouldn't know the original ones, no way. And if I tried to explain it, they'd be they'd give me glass eyes really fast.
Speaker 1: Of course, which, by the way, say anything. Some of these movies are amazing.
Speaker 2: That's where my super goop. I remember, that's right, I gotta get my cape.
Speaker 1: Of course, we're going to get your cape. They also are going to sell capes at Forever forty seven. By the way, cape, it's just now. It's now, it's just capes and sweatpans customizable.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the music.
Speaker 1: Yea, So people don't really understand myself included, until really I had started having conversations with producer Jensen, who knows all about this stuff. The music not only being super important in a movie can be diculously expensive. Yes, and just what you said, they, I mean we had Billie Eilish, Bob Seeger, David Bowie, Whitney Houston stuff from Dirty Dancing. It was like they but there's an imagined dragon song that they're they're singing in the cars they're driving. Ye it was one popular hit. After the next tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 3: Didn't feel like they were just lightly in the background. No, the Madden Dragon song they're singing, it's a whole scene, a whole scene where that establishes their best friendship and how they get themselves out of you know, it's a big scene for me, the build up of their they're really close.
Speaker 2: Friendship and that it's just platonic.
Speaker 3: It is literally just the best friend It's the star front of the scene that I mean.
Speaker 2: The me is the song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you'll see scenes like that in big budget movies. I think of Tom Cruise driving down in Jerry Maguire singing free Fall, and it's like that level of you need money to do this right. So the fact that this in a d com is being done is one very impressive. And I thought the music was great. Did you like the music or I did?
Speaker 3: I loved it. I loved the eighties throwbacks. I loved the song choices that are now relevant right now.
Speaker 2: I loved all of it. It was so good. I thought they did it all.
Speaker 3: All of them felt really like perfectly placed as well. You know, it wasn't a overload of just eighty songs.
Speaker 2: It was a mix. It was great.
Speaker 1: Agreed, one hundred percent. Now we do have to talk about one thing, because if we are going to get specific about I don't have many gripes with this movie. I would go so far as say I almost have none. But do you think prom packed was the right title?
Speaker 2: Because it all I am.
Speaker 3: So glad you brought this up because I really got a packed I thought about that so many times throughout the movies. You know when it starts to get when they start to kind of both slide off of this quote unquote pack. Yeah, it really wasn't a big deal when it happened. It was you know, although I love the way she we have to talk quickly about how she did it with the catchup on the paper thing, so funny, but I also love that it was.
Speaker 2: Her proposal was basically, I have it.
Speaker 3: Written down as great, I'll go, but there will be actually nothing to do with prom about this night. I will not sit and have dinner. I will not do this, I will do this dance. I'm not dancing. I'm not doing this. I do not feel like having fun either. I may or may not even go to the actual problem. But would you like to go with me?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It's like okay, all right?
Speaker 2: That was my one little girl.
Speaker 3: It wasn't really a packed It wasn't no matter what you know, we're going That.
Speaker 2: Was like the B story.
Speaker 1: The A story was really her trying to get into the basketball player's life and how she has really misjudged this guy. She's judged, you know, very surfa, very much on the surface. This quote unquote Jock, which he's like, we don't we like athlete, and so she thought it was going to be one type of thing that to me, was the story totally. So it seemed like the prom pact was was a very small portion of it. It was, Yeah, So that was my only My only question was like, I'm not sure that this was named.
Speaker 2: Properly, right.
Speaker 3: I thought about it a lot because it really was. It referenced until things started going downhill. Yeah, it was never talked again about that they were going to prom together.
Speaker 2: He buys.
Speaker 3: I loved how he bought his only ticket. That felt weird to ticket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then just stated in line and she's like, there's people waiting behind you. Yeah, I get it, but.
Speaker 2: Can't you buy it? I'll pay for it, can I venmo?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 3: I mean, Ben, can you really just get me my ticket? Or I'll get both of them for us doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: What would you if we don't like prompacked? What would you call it?
Speaker 3: Then? Man?
Speaker 2: I waitlisted? Yes I would. I would think it would be more wait listed something like that could have worked.
Speaker 3: That's what kind of popped in my head more. But as a matter of fact, to me, when she was at the fundraiser with him, that felt a lot more fancy and like the press and the actual getting read.
Speaker 2: She literally comes downstairs and like can I borrow the car? Okay, and it's like I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Prom okay, But right that seemed like her prom could have ben her prom and they did the whole kind of karate kid misunderstanding relationship happening thing totally okay.
Speaker 2: I liked waitlisted though Waitlist it could work. I also love the idea of letter of wrack. You know, such a big thing that she's actually looking to get.
Speaker 1: That's a huge part of it. You know, what are what are they called when you go to Harvard? Other than really smart? What they're the Harvard?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What what is their mascot? Maybe they're something there too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Does Harvard have a mask?
Speaker 1: I must I've never heard of their going to be something that we've never heard of. It's gonna be ran as we like the Harvard Duckys or something like that. It's like, what, how has nobody.
Speaker 2: Ever heard of Harvard pigeons? Exactly?
Speaker 1: I think it's just gonna be the Harvard smart people. Oh, the pilgrim apparently is their mask. That's that is not working now, that doesn't work at all. So this movie kicks off with a prom pep rally where we meet the best friends, establishing Mandy as your typical counterculture loner and Ben as the more optimistic nerd pal. You know, we've seen the tropes before, but they're great. Yes, he has a crush on the beautiful cheerleader that barely knows he exists, LaToya Reynolds. I also love how every time they say her name in the movie, they say LaToya Reynolds. It's never a toy, it's LaToya Reynolds.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: I have a few friends that I have to say their first and last name. It's just the thing.
Speaker 1: She's like, You've got to stop saying the end? When is this literary? Are you gonna stop?
Speaker 2: The prom theme is the eighties.
Speaker 1: We see our first prom posal, which becomes a big thing, which is the Ghostbusters homage. But the bigger issue is the schoolwork focus. Mandy has still not heard back from her dream school, Harvard. It sounds like it's the only place she's applied. It's all that matters in her life, and we get to kind of see that this is her focus. She has her life completely planned out at this point. This is the next step. I just need to get into Harvard and then everything is smooth sailing from there because I know I have to bubbah bubba. But she's got it all.
Speaker 2: Laid out, which is so relevant.
Speaker 3: It is so hard to get into college, let alone a school like that.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I've recently had a few of my girls very very small, aren't. They're so into one school. They put all of their efforts and you know, it's great when it happens, and it's devastating when it doesn't.
Speaker 2: So it's hard. It's hard to kind of counsel and help somebody go through this.
Speaker 1: So the prom theme is the Eighties, which has been very nicely established, and we get to see our first promposal, which is this big, elaborate Ghostbusters homage.
Speaker 3: Homage.
Speaker 1: I like homage, but homage the great part is that we hear at this point, like we talked about, she has not heard back from Harvard yet. Right, the life is on hold as she's trying to figure it out. But in the meantime, we're establishing their relationship, their friendship. We see it is just a friendship and that they're figuring out what's going on. He's obviously very in love with I was gonna say, LaToya, but I can't LaToya Reynolds. Yes, and this might be the perfect time since we've just talked about the giant Ghostbusters happening. Yes, what's your favorite eighties movie?
Speaker 2: Ghostbusters is actually one of them?
Speaker 1: Okay, great movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love Ghostbusters.
Speaker 3: It was truly one of the ones I remember in the eighties watching the most because it was fun.
Speaker 2: It was funny, It was not any you know, it was scary, but not crazy scary.
Speaker 3: You know. It was a perfect for my age to watch in the eighties. That was the perfect movie for me.
Speaker 1: By the way, the correct answer to what's the best eighties movie will always be Rad Just so.
Speaker 2: You know, Rad, I figured it was going to be that one for you.
Speaker 1: Mandy and Ben agree to go to the problem together only as besties, even though Mandy could frankly care less, which is kind of a nice development, but unfortunately it's followed up with some very bad news. Mandy is wait listed at Harvard, so she needs a miracle here, and her guidance counselor, who again is played very just hysterically by Marco Chow, kind of says to her she needs a really good letter of recommendation. And it turns out that the most popular kid in school, who's the star basketball player, his father is a senator who is a Harvard alum. So the idea is made that hey what if she you know, they hear through the grapevine that Graham, who's the cool guy in school, is failing one of his ap classes, a class she took last year. So she comes up the idea, well, hey what if I tutor him in his class, get to know him, become friends with him, and then I can hit up his dad for a recommendation.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: He's supposed to be a basketball star, by the way, Graham lancing, and it doesn't look like the actor is particularly good at playing basketball.
Speaker 2: We call this the writer strong syndrome.
Speaker 1: So if you saw any of Ryder's movies when he was a kid and had to play basketball, same kind of thing. And he's the first one to say I cannot play basketball, but.
Speaker 3: Yet they always want me to exactly some reason they always want me to.
Speaker 1: He just called at sports ball. He's like, they always cast me as the sports ball guy, and I never know why they do that. So that seems a little bit like it's happening here. So this is again they hatch the plan. She's going to weasel her way into Graham's life as his tutor. And she thinks he's this shallow dumb again she says, Jock, he corrects her, And so this is the plans in action she's going to get started. The problem is when she tries to weasel her way into his life, all of a sudden, she finds out that Graham is not who she thought he was going to Right. He's a nice guy and tons of depth to him. He helps kids, teaches kids how to play basketball, and all the kids play better than he does.
Speaker 3: He's very open about his issues with his dad and how much of us struggle there is at home between the two of them and their dynamic. He actually goes far enough to call it daddy issues, which I was really shocked to hear. I don't think I've ever heard a male say daddy issues.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was cool. You know, nobody wants to hear about my daddy issues. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They wrote him as a character with a ton of depths. Yes, who is you know? At times he plays the role of the cool guy in school, but he doesn't necessarily like it and is not that guy. And they really set it up to where you can tell he's starting to believe that maybe he's met somebody in her that he sees him for who he really is and he can open up to and all this kind of stuff, And it's.
Speaker 3: Very He's a very sweet character, yes, and I love that he also is in tune to knowing that people use him for something, whether it's popularity or whatever. You know, he from the beginning calls, well, what's the catch? What?
Speaker 2: Why are you?
Speaker 3: I've never known you before, You've never seem to care about me, you know, what's the catch? And she gets a little put off guard because there's definitely one in her head. Yeah, but he you know, and that's right. It's in the library scene, and it's right in where the freshman girls are coming in and they've got some kind of game.
Speaker 1: Takes pictures of him and yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Again he goes in and out of playing it up like he's okay with it. But you can tell very quickly there's more to this guy than just the basketball star. Yeah, letterman jacket homie guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's very very well written.
Speaker 1: The problem is, as she is starting to spend more time with him, she's starting to fall for him, and of course Mandy is now starting to ignore her friendship with her best friend Ben. And you know it's when there's a trade off between the two, Oh, like is his birthday dinner? I'm sorry, I can't. She's never lying to him, she's telling him like, I can't go. I've got it back. But she's still picking Graham over Ben often enough to where he's starting to really notice, like, hey, I know you're doing this and this is important to you, but you know, we're supposed to be my friend.
Speaker 2: And they're starting to get a little, uh, go back and forth at each.
Speaker 3: Other, a little little tension there. There's a little you know, hurt feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this actually leaves Ben to his own devices a little bit, which allows him, through a strange, random series of events, to kind of start dating LaToya Reynolds. So the strange thing, the thing that I love the way that it was written is that the less time they're spending with each other, the more opportunity they're both having to come out of their shells with other people. I love it, which is kind of great. So he's with LaToya Reynolds and she's with Graham Lancing, and they're both with the two most popular people in school.
Speaker 2: But it works. They're starting to really get to know him and everything like that.
Speaker 3: And I liked LaToya Reynolds's whole character too. I love when he takes up to get the ticket and she's looking at him saying, I know who you are?
Speaker 2: Do you not know who I am? We've known each other and been in class together for school. I know who you are. Do you not know my name? You know that that? She was just very sweet. She wasn't rude, She's just really sweet. Great character. Loved her too, agreed, So she falls for him.
Speaker 1: They're going to go to the prom thing and start dating LaToya the coolest cheerleader, but it throws a wrench into all the promp plans because it also forces Mandy to She now has the opportunity to get the recommendation letter from the Senator Mmm, and she turns it down because she started doing fall for Graham, and Graham has started to fall for her, at least she thinks so yeah, But then she overhears a story again. It's Johnny a kissing Ali at the country club and karate kid and Daniel LaRusso oversees it, but he doesn't know what he's actually seeing and he jumps to conclusions this same thing happens.
Speaker 3: But in her, in all fairness for her, she overhears it, but then is it's doubled down.
Speaker 1: Because he comes here, comes over it.
Speaker 3: Brother asks him what the name of the girl was, and she he tells her, So it's for sure that this girl was over at the house. I was in on the whole thing. I knew what was happening. I knew what it was getting into me too, but I was still crushed for her. I've fallen for this character. Mandy's so hard. I think she's so sweet, She's got a good head on her shoulders, and she finally likes someone, She finally likes something more than what her dream.
Speaker 2: Of Harvard is, and or at least as much. And my heart broke for her.
Speaker 3: In this scene, Jesus feeling so stupid. She feels just completely played yep, and even though she was playing him and all this stuff, and I just, oh, man, will I.
Speaker 2: Felt so bad. I started daring a little bit. When she's coming out of the fundraiser event.
Speaker 1: She's, yeah, it was tough, but so she then she calls Ben, who is finally on a date with LaToya, having.
Speaker 3: A great time, finally getting comfortable because Ben was such an awkward guy.
Speaker 1: He was which made him endearing. And then he drops everything he's doing. He leaves the date, ruining everything with LaToya, right, and he goes off to pick her up. She's in the car. I can't believe this is happening. Oh but that's okay. We're going to prom together. They're back with the PROMP pack, the two of them. It's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: And now we're over an hour into the movie. Right, this is the second time this prom pack even came up.
Speaker 2: I feel like it was like, oh, yeah, this is PROMP pack, that's right, which.
Speaker 1: Is true, which is why we're changing it to letter of red light listed or waitlisted, which is a better letter, just a better title. And so then the problem comes as you would expect. Later in school, Mandy finds out that it was all a misunderstanding. He was actually learning a dance routine so he could give her her promposal, which it was great, but so good. The second this, I mean, in all fairness, the second they set up that she used to do this dance.
Speaker 2: You knew this, you knew it was.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, this is this was certainly coming. But it was great. The way that they did it, they set it all up.
Speaker 2: It's fine, the risky business and her one direction song.
Speaker 1: I mean awesome, awesome, good, And then she said we don't know what she says, but it cuts to the parking lot. Ben has turned down LaToya for the prom because he made a prom packed with Mandy. Mandy comes out and is like, oh, it was a misunderstanding. I'm actually going with Graham, and he's like, whoa wow, Wait a second, rude, I can't just be here for you whenever somebody hurts your feeling. But he goes off on her and somebody, of course in this day and age, is videoing it, and Graham finds out what he really intentions were because he says something along the lines of like, you were only doing this to get a letter from the senator. So everything is collapsing here. I feel like the whole thing could have been avoided if they just decided to go as a group. But that's not.
Speaker 2: How you go to prom and could have gone together. I see what you're saying. The limos hold more than two.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, but we still had a good thirty minutes left of the movie, so we couldn't do it that way.
Speaker 1: Well, it's true, I know, but you know, I feel like they could have just told their cool dates that they were supposed to go with their friends. But of course they love each other, so they'd let them go with the people that they had a crush. There's so many ways out of this, but you're in high school.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna left that slide. Yeah, But Mandy sticks with it. She fights through the depression and decides to make it up to her bestie by showering with attention and love of all the prom details she messed up. She gives him a big promposal. He, of course can't stay mad at her. They decide to go together, and they go to the eighties prom where they are actually dressed up like the eighties kids.
Speaker 2: No one else is. It's so good.
Speaker 3: It's such a good thing because truly the kids their their assembly, they're homecoming or prom, you know, big event and rally before it will be themed. The docor will be themed, but the kids do not. That's more. Okay, we're back at More.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's it's not the prom. You still go in your nice out, you know, your nice long dress. You don't do the thing.
Speaker 2: Morp and prompt. It's too confusing. It was just easier not to have many friends.
Speaker 3: As their friends pointed out, you've never been to one, nor do you really ever pay attention on Instagram, so.
Speaker 2: You had no idea that no one else would be addressed. This is this is true.
Speaker 1: So they go though, and uh they make up. She tags along with Ben and LaToya to the prom. They're all now kind of together as a group, which they could have done in the first place. And then LaToya and Ben are named the prom King and Queen because well, Mandy actually rigged it with the guidance counselor, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 3: That's what I could going how how how? How when are they gonna tell me how this happened?
Speaker 1: And then it seemed to go a little departing from Disney, and I really liked it.
Speaker 2: And here's why.
Speaker 1: So Graham and Mandy never really make up and have a moment of kissing like we're back together, which I really love. I also love that Mandy and Ben don't get together, which is another trope the best friends realize they're supposed to be together. This movie played against every kind of Disney stereotype in that way, and I really liked that it was very real to me where it was like we didn't make up, it wasn't perfect, and Ben and I didn't realize we were supposed to be together the entire time, like it was really it was great. So I really really liked that.
Speaker 2: Ben did get his girl.
Speaker 3: He did get a girlfriend, and I thought that was amazing.
Speaker 1: LaToya Reynolds, which he wanted. But it turns out that the real ending, because you could Disney could have ended it there and she gets back with Graham at but the real ending is she ends up getting into Harvard because her guidance counsulor sent the letter of recommendation while she was at school, so why not just do that in the first place. But then she seems Graham at a coffee shop. It's a year later he's or however long later months later, she's at Harvard. She's now a Harvard pilgrim, which is apparently what they are.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: Somebody says Graham, she's at a coffee shop. She turns around and boom, there he is. And it's like he's like, I'm taking a gap year. I'm trying to figure out And before he can say anything, she just jumps in lants on.
Speaker 2: It's so fast.
Speaker 3: It happens like like a karate chop, just like what.
Speaker 1: It seemed fast. It seemed fast, fast, and it seemed a bit tagged tagged on at the at the end, if it just felt rushed like yeah, like it was, it's felt like a studio note like no, no, no, no, no. We have since we played against type right, which we could had them get together at the dance or the salutatorian speech, which again I did not know was a thing.
Speaker 2: I thought only.
Speaker 1: Valedictorians got to speak. Yes, I didn't know second place got a chance.
Speaker 2: To say no, I feel second place does not get it.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I like to say that my half of the class made the top half possible. So yes, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So what was your class on Boyme's World? Was that you're graduating?
Speaker 1: No in my class when I went to high school when I actually went to high because I went to high school the whole time except for six months, and I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was not I was not studious.
Speaker 1: Oh got it, okay, Yeah, so the salutatorian speech was was kind of strange. But they get together again, feels a bit like a studio note, they kiss, everybody's happy at the end, and that's that's your film. And I thought it was I thought it was good. I mean, yeah, it just it didn't feel like a dcom, which part of me really likes.
Speaker 2: But it's such a departure from the regular.
Speaker 3: I know, it's so enjoyable to watch. It was funny, it was super cute. I loved all the relationships that built, and like you said so many times already, these characters were given a lot of depth. They were able to bob and weave through these kinds of obstacles that were put in front of them. And it was a great movie. I really did I love the music. There was just so much to like. The only weirdness was, like you said, the title and the fact that it was promp packed. It really wasn't talked about until the very end. It was like the very beginning and then the very end. The middle, it didn't ever really go back to prom pack.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the other things about this movie, so the recent strikes that we had in Hollywood, a lot of it has to do with the use of AI in films, and because we have the best producers that are doing research for us, it turns out that the part of it is they would use actors' faces for minimal fees, especially in the background with background actors, and this movie actually did use this technology before the new rules were set. And it doesn't look great. It's very very bad, really weird looking at it looks like sims people huh, and it's bizarre. People were very mad about it, rightfully so. But you can see it in the opening pep Rolly seeing the most And yeah, it's a big reason why we didn't have new movies or TV shows filming for basically a year is because of stuff like that. It looks very, very bad, and thank thankfully we did something about it. But if you go back and look at it, I mean it's really noticeable.
Speaker 3: It is really noticeable. I had to go back and it was like.
Speaker 2: Oh whoa, oh we this is that good? Thank goodness. This did not continue to happen a lot. Yeah, no, it's bad. I will it goes to show too.
Speaker 3: Background actors can really make or break a lot of scenes too. Oh you know, you have some great background actors that know what they're doing, they know how to look. Background acting really does add so much to big scenes like that.
Speaker 1: Huge amazing, it's hugely important. I'm glad that we've protected some of their right because it was bet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do real reviews.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you got, Sabrina? You want to do the five stars?
Speaker 2: I'm going to do the five star.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: This is from Serena p. I thought this movie was a breath of fresh air. I'm so happy to see a strong female role in Disney. It's very inspiring for teens. Also in parentheses, be realistic. I know you're worried about the parties and the things it showed, but when I was a senior in high school, I did all the same things and Okay, so.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, and that brings us right to our one star review, which is from Vanessa eight ninety two, which is ironic because the first.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred and ninety one Vanessa's loved this movie. But Vanessa eight ninety two not a fan. Not a fan.
Speaker 1: She said, how is this categorized as a Disney Channel movie? It is not appropriate for kids to watch due to underage drinking, partying, and adult language, as well as specific narrative that is being pushed and issues. Blah blah blah blah blah. Why can't we just enjoy mo movie without getting a narrative pushed at every step? The plot was nothing special, terrible teenage acting, per usual for Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: Don't waste your time with this movie.
Speaker 1: I disagree with everything everything that Vanessa eight ninety two said there. I am going to be total. I agree that it doesn't feel like a dcom.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yeah. I do think it is aged up, and so that is true. I would have loved to be able to see what was actually aired on the Disney Channel because I would wonder why, you know, change The Red Solo cups for me were really big. But at the same time, what she when she says terrible teenage acting, per usual for Disney Channel. I'm sorry, Vanessa, that's completely incorrect.
Speaker 1: That's the first ninety one is Vanessa, You are incorrect, Vanessa eight ninety two.
Speaker 2: That's my ben.
Speaker 1: We're going to do a new feature today called Blake or Fake Blaker Fake. When this movie was released, all the stars did the usual press tours, of course, and we found a feature on Blake Draper, who was the cool sort of basketball playing popular kid Graham Lancing. Okay, the article gives us ten as the nine completely useless teen beat magazine like facts about the dream Boat. So we're going to be giving five possibilities and then we have to decide if it's Blake or it's fake. And once again we do not know what's real and what's not. So I say we buzz through these. Number one, Blake is a hufflepuff? Do you think that's Blake or fake?
Speaker 3: Blake or fake a hufflepuff? I don't even know what a hufflepuff is, so I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Make it fake.
Speaker 1: Know what a hufflepuff is? Do you really know what a huffuff? No, a hufflepuff is one of the houses in Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: Oh, but you know that I'm not a Harry Potter fan. But you aver heard of Hufflepuff, Lytherin, Gryffindor.
Speaker 3: None of you the drink I've had to drink at at Universal Studios butter beer.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've had hurting my soul.
Speaker 2: I know, be better. I will. Maybe I'm not let this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say it's Blake. I think he is a Hufflepuff, Am I right?
Speaker 2: Jensen? That is Blake. That's our boy, Blake. Yes, thank you, Yes, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yes, somebody by producers are putting my souls and shambles slither in forever. Thank you very much. I'm a Gryffindor.
Speaker 2: But hey, you guys, I will better.
Speaker 1: No, we're just gonna get you sorted into a different school because Hogwarts isn't for you. Number two. On his seventh birthday, he was gifted a drum kit and has been playing ever since.
Speaker 2: I'm on his seventh birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna say fake because giving a seven year old drum kit, that's when.
Speaker 1: You want to learn how to start playing instruments. Is when you're a kid a drum kit. I'm gonna I'm gonna say fake. Yeah, not, that's blake. Oh wow, bl okay. Number three, he has a scar above his hip from an ATV accident. One of these has to be fake. I'm just playing the I'm just playing the odds right now.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with fake. I guess well, no, I want to go true. I'm going to go true.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say fake, just because we have to have a fake one in here at some point.
Speaker 2: No, that's fake. He has a perfect hip, okay, a perfect.
Speaker 1: Well. He sure certainly didn't hurt it playing quidditch, did he?
Speaker 2: Sabrina nothing, no idea, she has no idea. We're talking. Well, I do know. That's the game. That looks like they're playing like on a broomstick. Right, okay, oh wow, everything hurts me. Number four.
Speaker 1: As a young boy, he dreamt this is great.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I hope this is real.
Speaker 1: Number four, As a boy, he dreamt of owning a Chipotle location.
Speaker 2: A Chipotle location.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say it's blake because I want it to be real, like Hogwarts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he loved it so much.
Speaker 3: That was fake.
Speaker 2: He dreamt a comic book artist. Oh, a comic book artist.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh Man, comic book art is one and gives you way less diarrhea than Chipotle number five before making it in acting, he was a karate instructor at his family business.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Say fake because Daniel Fishle and my karate instructor is a family business, and I'm thinking producer Jensen through that one in here, So I'm going.
Speaker 2: To say fake. I'm saying fake too. Oh no, that's Blake baby.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, he was a karate instructor.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I got most of them wrong, and so did you. I got all of them wrong. I didn't get.
Speaker 1: Anywhere distracted by you never eving heard of huffle back.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm sorry. I was totally lying. Throws were you? Do you know what hufflepuff is?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: You weren't.
Speaker 1: You had no idea. Oh that's such a raven cloth thing to do.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding, I don't know what you know.
Speaker 3: What's so funny though, one of the women that I work with with my song team, she is a giant fan and she hates how much I walked through that whole land at Universal Studios not knowing anything.
Speaker 2: Well, to read the books, the land is fake.
Speaker 1: Well, I know what I mean.
Speaker 3: She was excited to show me everything, and it was like, oh okay, she was just giving me all this knowledge.
Speaker 1: That was Well, we're going to do an entire section on watching all of the Harry Potter films. Okay, so let's do Sabrina Seas.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right.
Speaker 3: So we've definitely touched quite a bit on the amount of things that just were a little every time it happened within the movie, a new thing that you just wouldn't expect to see on the channel.
Speaker 2: I had to write it down. I mean it's j yes, it really is.
Speaker 3: And it's to the point, where as I said before, standards and practice for those that don't know, they are the ones that are on set all the time. They clear every outfit, every you know, if it's a new scene that's being built, things like that. And one of the things that really caught my eye because that's just not happened. It's happened a tiny bit in some of the movies. I think Stuck in the Suburbs, we saw a little bit of some skin showing from the bey the pant line to the she had a full blown mid drift and then her dress so the wardrobe was something that I saw as well. Her dress that she wears to the fundraiser is a two top, little tight, very in my opinion when it comes to Disney Channel, a lot more skimpier than we've ever seen, you know, okay, and.
Speaker 2: You got to really see her curves. No, never noticed the clothes.
Speaker 3: So those those were things that I just I mean, when I saw the middrift, that's when I went, you got because again remember my experience, I you know, my experience on the channel.
Speaker 2: I had to wear layers.
Speaker 3: I was always hot, always because I had so many layers of tops under tank tops or a or a long sleeve under a short sleeve. Then I've have my my leggings on under a I mean you've saw one or two of the outfits I constantly had layers on.
Speaker 1: You had like like neckerchiffery on and all this, and you did you get a bunch of the going.
Speaker 3: And so to see somebody in a midriff, I really just was throwing my hands in the AIRCA what I know if Disney.
Speaker 2: Channel is gone.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I thought for sure you were gonna say, just because it kind of made me think of my dates with the president's daughter not done on the quality, but the house of his that she goes and meets the family or she goes for a session, then ends up saying for dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then they actually kind of called it out a little bit, definitely resembled that like White House politicians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, politician with the.
Speaker 3: Flags that were out in the front and it's got the pillars and all of that. That one cracked me up. And then just right after that, she says his previous girlfriend couldn't believe that he didn't live in the White House, which was a very funny comment that his mom made. And then the last one, I just thought this was really funny, the two am curfew.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because the dad.
Speaker 3: I had to write it down just because I can't imagine any dad in the world for the first time, especially her first date, is actually gonna say bring her home at two am?
Speaker 2: What that? The mom then calls, and I was like, what do you think. You don't know, she's never been out before. What I would think it would be the opposite.
Speaker 3: She needs to be home by nine, you know, versus like, go ahead, you know what.
Speaker 2: She doesn't even need to come home. She wants to do sleep over your house, totally friend.
Speaker 1: It was I agree with you one hundred percent, though, it was when those things popped up. And the other thing we have to keep in mind is you and I are watching one Disney Channel movie after yeah, so to again throw in one from last year that seemed so off brand, was weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, they say, what the hell in it? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Anytime did you ever say you said? You guys got to say dumb.
Speaker 2: I think towards the end, what the hells? Well?
Speaker 1: I remember one. I remember one specific episode and it was definitely cut. Matt Lawrence. Eric is starting to sneeze the future like you do, and Jack calls him noster dumbaut uh huh, And I think they then cut it, but I think later dummbos.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: It was sucks sucks. We weren't allowed to say sucks earlier, but we were allowed to say sucks later. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those things just kind of kept going, even towards the end. She says, you know, I told you to get a letter of recommendation from him not getting his son's pants.
Speaker 1: Yes, what that?
Speaker 2: Those little lines were very Those.
Speaker 3: Little lines just kept jabbing at me. They were either sexual or you know a little bit more on the cursing level quote unquote type thing. So those just kept they kept hitting me. But again, had I gone to the movie theater, I would have thought nothing of it. Honestly, I loved the movie so much.
Speaker 1: Just because it says in Giant Neon Disney Channel originally.
Speaker 3: Yes, that that sets that standard, so you know it. There was so much of this movie that I just loved. I loved her dress, even though they were it was silly for them to actually dress up to the prom.
Speaker 2: That dress was so cute.
Speaker 1: The way she did.
Speaker 3: Her little pomposal for him was adorable. They looked great together. I loved, love, love this movie.
Speaker 2: It was I did too. It was so fun.
Speaker 1: Well, we got to see how much we loved it because now we got to rate it, So we got to do one out of ten. Obviously we've talked about one is bad, ten is good. How about for options, how about one out of ten bad? Movie titles? Power abusing guidance, counselors, AI, background actors peas versus.
Speaker 2: V's oh my gosh, I can't, I can't doesn't even talk about the movie.
Speaker 1: How about inappropriate words like the jarring Disney Channel moments.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Let's want to do that one, all right, So I think.
Speaker 2: I've went first last time, right, Okay, I think that's I think you're right, all right.
Speaker 1: So I really.
Speaker 2: Liked this movie. It's tough.
Speaker 1: If I'm going to judge it by itself as just a movie, I can go as high as a nine or nine point five, right, But as a Disney Channel original movie, I'm having trouble only because I'm watching so many Disney Channel original movies and it's such a different vibe ye than all of the other Disney Channel original movies. I mean, it's like night and day. It's so different. It's still I can only judge it as a movie, and as a movie, I am going to give it a nine. Nic.
Speaker 2: It's really good. It's really really good.
Speaker 1: The acting especially is top notch. It's next level. And so I'm going to give this movie a nine.
Speaker 2: I thought it was. I thought it was very very good. Same.
Speaker 3: I'm right there with you. I am also going to do a nine. Okay, I'm jarring Disney moments.
Speaker 2: My jarring Disney moments.
Speaker 3: I would honestly while I was watching it, going I think this might be a nine point five or ten for me.
Speaker 2: But then when I.
Speaker 3: Started reviewing the all the things, you know, the Sabrina sees it's that part to me, and I can understand it being on the channel, even knowing that a lot of that stuff was taken off, right, Right, you do have a certain standard. I now have a little girl. She's not watching all these movies with me, but this would not be a movie I would want.
Speaker 2: Her to watch. Sure, not for a while. While right, she can.
Speaker 3: Watch Xenon on repeat all day, you know, and I sure, And typically that's what's so great. I know, when I was younger, my parents loved me watching the Disney Channel because they didn't have to.
Speaker 2: They didn't have to preview anything.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. You always knew what you were gonna get. You could sit somebody down in front of a Disney Channel original movie and you wouldn't have to worry about it when it mattened, having to explain anything after it.
Speaker 2: Exactly what's a P and a V? What were they drinking?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: Right, that's different?
Speaker 2: You're right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So no, I understand that.
Speaker 3: I cannot think of even answering those kinds of things, and I'm not ready and she's not gonna see anything that I'd ever be questionable.
Speaker 1: That was the thing about being it being a dcom. And I get that that children seem to be growing up faster.
Speaker 2: I don't have children, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, that was the thing is it's like a Disney Channel a dcom, A straight up dcom. Is I think you can put a kid in front of it and not have to worry about explaining everything. Now, again, that is not saying that there's anything wrong with this movie. Quite the contrary. It's a great.
Speaker 3: Movie, yes, and but also Disney Plus puts it in a different genre. Yeah, you know, knowing that it was it's on Disney Plus as one way versus what it was on Disney Channel as another way is good to know.
Speaker 1: But at that it is branded as a dcom.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we're on the same page for that for sure. This I will say I watched literally hours after the last time we did our last episode and instantly.
Speaker 2: Wanted to call you and hear everything you had to say because it was like the weekend just became too.
Speaker 3: Long because it was just so different. I loved this movie. I in my mind this is going to be a Disney Plus movie. It just can't be a dcom to me.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, and that's where we will leave it. Our next movie is two thousand and six is cow Bells, which is spelled b E l l e s. It's an Alien aj tale of two wealthy snobs sent to work on the family farm. I got two wealthy snobs sent to work on a family farm, but the cow bells and Ali in aj tail. I don't understand when amy that means yet, but I'm sure I will find that out as we get there.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ali and Aj actually were on our very first tour. They are a sister duo. Okay, one is older Ali. I want to say it's older.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I'm gonna have to look back at and they sit with they sing. So is this a musical cow Bells?
Speaker 1: There could be, Okay.
Speaker 3: Just to set it up a little bit, there could be music, because they definitely are both very talented in the music world.
Speaker 1: This was also, if memory serves, this was written by our friend of the pod Stuke Rieger. Okay, I believe he wrote cow Bells.
Speaker 3: Then we have to look forward to some really fun stuff because he's awesome.
Speaker 1: I hope there's no p's and v's in this one. I don't be okay, all right, I don't think there will be there because we're two thousand and six. We're not there either way. But thank you everybody for joining us. Go watch cow.
Speaker 2: Bells if you want to.
Speaker 1: It's on Disney Plus. If you don't, you don't have to. You can first listen to us talk about it and then you can go watch it afterwards, or you don't have to watch it at all.
Speaker 2: This is America.
Speaker 1: You get to decide what you want to do, so remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on Instagram. Thank you so much for joining us and we will see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye bye