Speaker 1: Ready, hey, will this is the listener Q and a episode and time ourselves so fire crackling, sitting around the fire sound effects and okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello listeners, and welcome to this first episode of Bad Manners. Back from the new year. Happy belated new year to you all. I hope you had a lovely one. I hope you got very drunk and celebrated and kissed someone at midnight or do whatever people do. It's good to be back. We are starting the new year with a special Q and a episode where we've got a bunch of you guys to message in your questions that we're going to read out and ask. It's not just me though, I am sat around this fire. You can hear the crackling fire sound effects added now and the mince pies left over from Christmas and the turkey sandwiches. Joined by producer Chris who's joining me. Hello Chris? How are you? Hey? All right?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Happy to ye.
Speaker 2: Have you a year? You've been a feature on most of the episodes of Bad Manners. Have you enjoyed the journey?
Speaker 3: Loved it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Bad Manners is great.
Speaker 2: It's not too fact. The thing is that what the listeners never get to listen to. Is all the edits you have to do with me fluffing my lines. That's pretty much your job is just to go can we try that again? Because you've you messed that up horrendously.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of that.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of that. So Chris, we're gonna, We're gonna, I'm gonna read out these questions. Now. I have to warn you some of these questions some of them are not actually Bad Manners themed. Turns out, I've got quite a lot of perverts as fans. So there's a few things that you know. Okay, Well, we'll see how we go. The first question is for Carrie Millinger, and she says, what is the best question to ask a ghost?
Speaker 3: Oh? That's a good one.
Speaker 2: It's a very good one. I think Bad Managers never meant to be a haunted podcast, but inevitably we have ended up doing a lot about ghosts.
Speaker 1: It went that way because most of the properties that we've been to claim to be haunted. I mean they are obviously because they're so old.
Speaker 2: It's just all building, isn't it. Anything old is haunted. Yeah, my grandma, she's got she's a haunted look in her eyes ever since the have you ever seen a ghost yourself?
Speaker 1: I've never seen a ghost or had any kind of a ghostly experience. I've never thought I've been.
Speaker 2: Ghosted by by an ex.
Speaker 1: Believe me, I've been ghosted, but there's no I've had no sort of paranormal experience, which.
Speaker 2: By ghost of Chris means that he's sat on the pottery wheel and and got felt up but from behind, if only so? What question would you most want to ask a ghost? Well, I would like to I think you know when we're talking to you. Danny from Uncanny from BBC's Danny Robins, he just had some really interesting things to say about ghosts. I like the idea that goes either sort trapped in this limbo period. You know how they say that ghosts are basically the spirits of people who have got unfinished business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah on Earth.
Speaker 2: So I think I guess i'd probably ask ghosts, what's your unfinished business?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What do you need? What do you need to pass on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because I mean I don't know what sort of the level is for unfinished business? Is it like, you know, you never sort of avenged your father's death or did you just failed to sort of tidy your bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, return, can you imagine it might be a bit boring, but I'd probably be quite interested to know how they done.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, because how I imagine ghosts is they're always dressed in whatever they were dressed in when they died.
Speaker 2: It's when they don't I think so.
Speaker 1: So I'd like to know what they were doing when they died. Yeah, what sort of a day they were having?
Speaker 2: Because there are such ghosts, headless ghosts. Yeah, I'm just asking how do you die? And he was just, oh, natural causes, just fell off one day, just got I've got a really weak neck.
Speaker 3: You get to a certain age.
Speaker 2: If here's one. If you were to die right now, so there before became a ghost, what would your unfinished business be? Oh my god, that's another question, isn't it.
Speaker 3: That's a hell of a question. I never finished bad Manners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was thinking. We'll just be too wooly jump and blokes who haunted a podcast room who never got the final questions out. So I think that's a good question, either how did you die? Or what is your unfinished business? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, good, nice, that's one question down, not bad Robin has messaged in and she says, what castle slash manor outside of the UK would you like to visit and why do you have one? Well? Yes, I think so. I'm a big fan of I've always wanted to go quite like sort of the East and Asia. There's a there's a white palace in Thailand. Have you seen that where it's like completely white?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's already marble and carving. I know this because I've been chatting to a girl on Instagram who's just been to Thailand and she's just upload a bunch of pictures of her walking around just some really amazing locations. I think it's I think it was really the second prettiest palace in the world, and I don't know what the first prettiest one is, but that'd be very cool. There's also things I know. I've been to the taj Mahole Mahole.
Speaker 3: I would love to go there.
Speaker 2: That'd be really cool. I don't I don't even read know much about why it's built or anything. Is it is it a grave or is.
Speaker 1: It remember I think now now, well, we're exposing ourselves here, but I think it was a mausoleum to his Wyquen don't know it was.
Speaker 2: Hey, I fancy you this much.
Speaker 3: Oh, shall we pause and google it?
Speaker 2: Do you pause and google it? There with us listeners as we look up what we're talking about, hold music, Welcome back listeners, and we know the answer. Chris, would you like to give me the admin? I was quite, I was near, I was there. I think, well, I think it's a combination of both our things. Yeah, he built it for his wife who died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a mausolium. It's a mauslium commissioned in sixteen thirty one by the fifth Mogul Emperor to house the tomb of his beloved wife.
Speaker 2: Nice. Well, yeah, I'd like to go and see. I like to go and see that.
Speaker 1: I've got one that I've actually been to that I think would be good for bad manners. Glenn Sheen Mansion in Minnesota in America. Oh, I went there years ago and found it fascinating. Cannot remember a single thing about it now.
Speaker 2: So you just like you remember having the feeling of this is amazing. Yeah, you can't remember why it was amazing.
Speaker 1: It's massive, and the story behind it was really interesting, But you can't remember that.
Speaker 3: My memory what it is, which was why I think we need to revisit.
Speaker 2: Should we pause and find out what the story was? Okay, just bear with us, listeners while we look up what we're on about. Oh hoole music.
Speaker 3: Well them, you're gonna have a great time doing it.
Speaker 2: This is so stupid and welcome back, listeners, and now we know what we're on about. Chris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if I remember rightly, remember he's got he's.
Speaker 2: Got his reading Wikipedia literally right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Glen Sheen Historic Estate is a twenty thousand square foot mansion in Duluth, Minnesota, which is actually that's where Bob Dylan is from.
Speaker 2: Lou Fear is on fire.
Speaker 1: Sorry, twelve acres of waterfront property near Lake Superior. That's yeah, I remember that we saw Lake Superior. I'm talking about holiday memories.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: It was constructed as the family home of Chester Adgate Congdon. The building was designed. It's just a big house. It's just a big house. It does look very nice though. Chester Adgate co cong Do and easy for me to say, was a lawyer and capitalist, so that's why the house is so big.
Speaker 3: I see, right, Yes, But the story we got.
Speaker 1: A there's a great guide who gave a great story of how it was built and it was a great place.
Speaker 2: Did you get the guide still there?
Speaker 3: Oh, she'll she'll see there.
Speaker 2: She was to be there? Was she really part of the furniture? Okay, well there you go. If you're a fan of not necessarily the actual story, but just the person telling it, really well, go go there. Next up, next story. What was your favorite moment while filming or recording the podcast. That's a hard question, isn't it, because there's there's a lot of really good ones. I personally you weren't there for this one, but the ghost hunt in Chiliam.
Speaker 3: Castle that's a standout. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was fascinating, mainly because like Chilian Castle itself was incredible. I also had some fond memories because I've been to a wedding their ages ago through through up on the steps. Yeah. Yeah, so it felt like nice if if I was to come back and to hold my guts in uh the second time around. And also the guy who was doing the ghost tour was just so into ghosts Richard Richard, Yeah, and have a lovely Jordy accent. Yeah yeah, And it was just bizarre. We realized in the middle of a castle in the middle of Northumbria, in the pitch black with a Jordy bloke with a big beard and two spirit rods just going is the Rakat? Is there a look? Is there a Malcolm? Is the Regian? Or it's g Gean's definitely in the room. I mean, I don't know. I have since opened my mind up to go right then though, I was finding the whole thing hilarious, frightening.
Speaker 3: Still, you were scared.
Speaker 2: I was. I wasn't. I wasn't scared as producer of X, but I was very scared.
Speaker 3: She was terrified. You were slightly less terrified I was.
Speaker 2: I also very much like Leslie as well from.
Speaker 3: From But yeah, she's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both her and husband were both really lovely. And I know it's been nice, like in general, just the everyone we've met has been good, genuinely. All the guests have been absolutely wonderful. And I think it's just because people are just very passionate about these things. So anyone who's passion is just an attractive aspect of someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's lovely to meet people really want to tell you the story or something, and it makes you Their passion for it is really infectious and.
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah, did you did you have do you have a favorite? Do you have a favorite moment in recently?
Speaker 1: Actually, I really enjoyed talking to Danny Uncanny Robbins because I'm a big fan of Uncanny. I was trying to get you to open your mind a little bit to the supernatural, and I think he did a great job of making of turning you around a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did, because well, I think he is. I think it's because he approached everything from us a very sort of logical and saying those scientific way. He wasn't in for like, he wasn't just willing to believe anything for the sake of it. He was really trying to uncover the truth. And that's therefore when you did find stuff that was genuinely unexplainable, it just made the whole thing more exciting. Yeah, that was good. I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 3: Who's next?
Speaker 2: Honestly, there's a lot of people who asked me, is Tom single? Is? What are Tom's feet?
Speaker 3: Like, let's let's go through them. Are you single?
Speaker 2: I am single? Yeah? Okay? And how soft are my feet?
Speaker 3: We could we could test that one if you want.
Speaker 2: I don't think do we want to get my feet out on the pod. I don't think so scraping for content. They're getting harder by the day. I can tell you that walking down walking, walking all around these these old houses Fairfoot, Yeah, it's all bunions and callouses. Now down there, I've got hoofs. I've got a set of hooves.
Speaker 1: Fairfoot for the authentic experience, just as the peasants would.
Speaker 2: Will you do any international locations and kill two birds on with one stone on your comedy tours? Well, that's nice to know. It's interesting. I haven't really talked about bad manners in the stand up comedy shows yet, but I think I inevitably will because I normally talk about what's going on in my life and this podcast has taken up a lot of it recently and it's been great, and yeah, it is fascinating, I think. So I definitely will talk about bad manners and manor houses in my tour at some point. And I'd be loved to go abroad now that I'm I mean Chris, I don't want to brag, but this year I have been touring in Scandinavia, Europe and America, so there is definitely scope for some bad Manners stuff. I actually got an offer, By the way, I didn't actually tell you all of this to go to Dubai well for Bad Manners for a pug Yeah really, yeah, I haven't actually told anyone this.
Speaker 4: Should have run that past the production crew. Well yeah, actually yeah, I put that or what did an email? That email actually came in a couple of weeks ago. I probably should have done Where's good to go? But Dubai is not really old buildings, is it.
Speaker 3: It's like they were only built about twenty minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So I mean to be honest to do an episode in the Burj Khalifa. Oh yeah, like it says Bad Manners. It doesn't necessarily have to be his history, does it. It just has to be something that where bad stuff went down.
Speaker 3: To be pretty scandalous to climate.
Speaker 2: Oh Tom Tom cruise style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could try and recreate that.
Speaker 2: I well, yeah, let's see what. Well, the things they actually offered us, they were to pay us. We didn't even need it in the budget. What this is?
Speaker 3: What from this?
Speaker 2: I'm not good at admin.
Speaker 1: You're now witnessing a production meeting listeners coo on, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we got offered. There's a podcast festival out there, and they said, you want to come and record a podcast, there's quite a lot of money. They offered as well, I'll find the email we knew.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we'll revisit that.
Speaker 2: Sorry, okay, okay, So there there's your answer. Yes, and I probably should have done it by now. Okay, this next question, if you could go back in time to meet one of the people that you have spoken about on the podcast, who would it be and why?
Speaker 3: Who's that from?
Speaker 2: Edward J. A. Warner or Edward Juanna? I'm assuming it's Joanna.
Speaker 3: Do you want to ask a question?
Speaker 2: You can if you want to. Do you wanna? Jesus?
Speaker 3: So, that's a really good question.
Speaker 2: That's an actual question that is on topic and is yeah, not about not about feet and anything. God did. Do you know who the person who stuck out to me weirdly was Trooper Jane. Yes, I was going to say that she's cool. I was going to say that too, Jane. I think it's also because I'd never heard of her.
Speaker 1: No, this is from Ripley Castle And yeah, the short story if you you should listen to that episode if you haven't heard it, because it's it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: She has that episode even been released yet, Yes, it has.
Speaker 3: Episode one has.
Speaker 2: There's going to be an episode coming out soon.
Speaker 1: Let's start that again. The Trooper Jane story is fascinating. The short version of it is the Battle of Marsden Moore in the Civil War. It was the largest battle of the Civil War and it was raging nearby. The Ingleby's at Ripley Castle were not roundheads.
Speaker 3: They were cavaliers.
Speaker 2: There were cavaliers.
Speaker 3: There are cavaliers.
Speaker 2: If you can tell. We haven't got Wikipedia on this one.
Speaker 1: Remember we remember this brain, Yeah, so they were cavaliers. Trooper Jane fought with her brother on the battlefield, and then when the battle was over, they went back to Ripley Castle and then all of a sudden, who knocks on.
Speaker 2: The door but Oliver Cromwell.
Speaker 1: So Trooper Jane answers the door while her brother runs upstairs and hides in a priest hide. He needs somewhere to stay for the night, and they call like a truce for the night. Yeah, And she lets him stay in the library as long as she can sit with him all through the night in the library and they sit in chairs next to each other, her with two pistols on her lap, trying not to fall asleep all night while Oliver Cromwell slept beside her, Which is just a play I want to write. Yeah, I want amazing.
Speaker 2: It could be a Quentin Tarantino film. Yeah, it's in the Hate Flat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where it's all like, it's really tense, it's claustrophobic or like or even like the it's like that scene at the beginning of Inglorious Bastards. Yes, well, I mean it's it's literally that because there's a bloke hidden in a wall, yes, like the people under the floorboards, and then Oliver Cromwell, who'll probably be the jew Hunter. Yeah, and then the poor the French bloke who drinks the milk Yeah yeah, who is Troupy Jane.
Speaker 3: It's an amazing story.
Speaker 2: It's a good story. I also, maybe this is going a bit slightly off topic. It'd be nice to do like a new film which had a real sort of iconic feminine hero.
Speaker 1: Another person who was brilliant was Lady Jane Digby. This is from our hocom Hall episode. Yeah, she was brilliant because of all of the traveling that she did. Was absolutely incredible and she was so like independent and at the time did not want to just be at the house being a lady at the house. She wanted to go and explore the world and she did absolutely that and that was a wicked story. Sort of reminded me a little bit of do you know Robin Davidson. She's an Australian woman who has lived a nomadic lifestyle, sort of like an older Robin Davidson.
Speaker 2: There's our two picks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what would you ask them? That's the question, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd ask Trooper Jane, how close do you come just to shooting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I like. How tempted were you to just shoot him?
Speaker 2: I'd be very tempted. Yeah, how close do you come to falling asleep? How did you last? Yeah? And without going to the bathroom?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you? And Cromwell just have to sort of close your eyes for a second.
Speaker 3: Just look over there, don't look.
Speaker 2: I think we're showing our age again that we just assume that you can't make it through the night without going for a p That just shows that we're old men now.
Speaker 3: Really impressed.
Speaker 2: This question is by Hamble's underscore c and they say, what's the best way to visit places the place that you talk about national Trust, English Heritage or something else.
Speaker 1: A lot of them privately owned, but I would say for a birthday present and national Trust pass or English character, that's that's a great present again showing our age, great presence and a brilliant way to explore those places.
Speaker 2: One of the things I've actually realized doing this podcast, just as far as like options for holiday destinations and stuff, because you always think about going abroad, but there are some genuinely amazing places up and down our country and I hopefully if we do do more like the series carries on, to go properly up into the Scottish Highlands, or over into the really wild whales, or over to some island's got loads of yeah.
Speaker 3: We haven't done islands. That would be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd enjoy that very very much. I think the best way is obviously to look on those sites, and I think some of the nicest reasons are yeah, do a holiday time, and so many of them also say some great wedding venues, really good wedding venues. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Salmsbury Hall is the one that springs to mine there, which is the one with all the witches. If you're a slightly Gothic vibe person, all the crosses, all the cross is that the and and even the history of it all. You could make it. You could wear a black wedding dress and you could have like you know, you could really yeah, you could really sort of timber in it up in there.
Speaker 1: Get married, go on holiday and get a National trustpass.
Speaker 2: Someone asks, are there any other Tower of London ghost stories that I've got? I've said quite a lot the ghost stories that I've witnessed personally on the podcast already. My favorite ghost in the tower is the the bear ghost. You mentioned that I mentioned it, but I didn't actually say what happened, and so I should probably say what happened. I mean, so the thing is about the Tower of London. A lot of people don't know it was actually like a zoo before. Well, so what is now Regent's Park Canon zoo. All those animals work were not all the animals that are there now, but the Tower of London was the first zoo was a menagerie, and then they moved them all over to Regent's Park and made Canon to London too, and so with there they had loads of bears just in general. These have a polar bear that they had chained right next to the River Thames. They were going like fishing the river and stuff. Wow. Yeah, And if you go to the tower, there's loads of chicken wire statues of all the sort of animals they have there. They had elephants and baboons and lions and stuff. Because back in the day, kings and emperors and rolled people they give each other really exotic Yeah. And then imagine being London back of the day and you've never seen an elephant before. Then suddenly on a boat, he'd be like what.
Speaker 3: That is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would blow your mind. And therefore they don't really know what they don't really look. The guy that there was a guard who was doing the patrols late at night in the tower and just outside which is now where the Crown jewels are kept. He basically walked around the corner and saw this sort of semi transparent bear rear up. Yeah, and obviously absolutely bricked it and ran away. And they caused him, and they sat him down in whichever tower it was, gave him a cup of tea. And I think I'm right in saying I think he died of fright.
Speaker 3: What like he was frightened to death?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so look, he's not making it up. Like maybe he saw something that wasn't maybe a ghost bear, but he definitely or something that was bad enough to kill him. Wow, I would say kill him to death. There he got he got murdered to death there, So it's something that scared him.
Speaker 1: What would be funny now is if his ghost now haunts frightens people to death and it's just this chain reaction.
Speaker 2: Like a little daisy chain of just fatal spookings.
Speaker 1: You don't hear of animal ghosts often though, so that's interesting.
Speaker 2: It is like there's been a lot of talking about like with the witches, and they're familiars like cats and demon dogs, but not actual ghost ones. No, no, I'm trying to think of famous ghost pets in general. Are there any ghost mutt? Have you made that up?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is it? But yeah? So there is so that if you go to the Tarolin now and ask any of the beefeaters about the ghost bear, they will tell you that story. Our final question before we go and put an end to this really fun episodes below me changs you Chris too. Yeah, it's always nice see Jacobs seventy three seven says a plane. Are there any more series or episodes planned? Well, we really hope so.
Speaker 3: We do have.
Speaker 1: So all through the series you'll hear Tom at the end of each episode saying, if you want to spill the tea on any Bad Manners you think we should visit blah blah blah, get in contact, and a lot of people have and we've we've banked them all up, so they're they're all written down, they're in the spreadsheet. So if they're If you're listening and you want to recommend anywhere, keep recommending because we're always open to more.
Speaker 2: And keep listening to the episodes and sharing it and telling other people to listen, because the more listeners we have, the more likely that is what is going to happen.
Speaker 1: And we'll definitely go to Glen Sheen Mansion and the taj Mahole.
Speaker 2: And the bush exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell me about the what the hell man are we gonna?
Speaker 2: Oh so well yeah, okay, so basically need to talk about this, Well yeah we should. So there's a podcast firstival that's going on in uh. Thanks for listening to Bad Manners. If you like the pod, Please share it with your friends, Rate it on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Leave a review, and make sure you spill the tea on any of your favorite bad manners that we could feature in future episodes. This podcast was produced by Atamei Studios for iHeartRadio. It was hosted by me Tom Horton. It was produced by William Lensky, Rebecca Rappaport, and Chris Ataway. It was executive produced by Face Steur and Zad Rogers. Our production manager is Caitlin Paramore and our production coordinator is Bellasolini.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, gosh I we're still recording
Speaker 4: It Woodami