Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast Chris Harrison Company from the home office in Austin, Texas for this special, very special Father's Day edition of the Most Dramatic podcast Ever. I've never done this, but since we're all so much older and we've all become dads, I thought what a cool thing to do for this Father's Day week to go back and talk to some of not only my favorite people who I got to know through the show over the years, but also some of my favorite dads on the show. And that is Ryan Sutter, JP Rosenbaum, and Bob Genny. That's right, Bob Genny. I consider him a friend and a dad. And he's actually a friend of my first guest as well, because they were on the same season and fought for the love of the same woman. Bob Genny somehow didn't win that battle against Ryan Sutter, and the rest is television history. The first dad I wanted to bring on. Ryan, good to.
Speaker 2: See you, buddy. It's you, Chris. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It's been way too long. First of all, we have to say, I'm just glad you're still a dad. All the drama on social media.
Speaker 2: Right the second you think Milone was paying attention to you in life, something like that happens.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. So I follow you and Trista clearly online, and you guys are dear friends of ours, and I know you to be a poet. I know you to be a great writer. You express yourself that way, and so when I read your thing, I said, yeah, it's it's kind of, you know, over the top and melodramatic. That's Ryan. You know, he was in a mood. If you know Ryan, he's he can get in these moods and it's not always about his family, sometimes just about his health and his life. And so you're a great writer, and so I know you express yourself that way. And when I started reading the comments, I'm like, oh God, people are really freaking out. They don't know what he's talking about. And not that I really knew what you were talking about, but at the same time, I knew that that's not exactly how you would come on and announce something dramatic happening in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well yeah, First of all, if there was something really really bad happening in my life, I wouldn't be telling anyone like That's the other side of me that you probably know is that I have a most of my personal life state is pretty personal. So this was so my take on social media is twofold. I enjoy I mostly only use Instagram because I like pictures, and I love looking back on my life and reflecting on with the fatherhood theme, reflecting on my kids when they were younger, and the writing portion of it just reminds me of of the emotional states I was in at those particular times. And you're right, Usually it's like all most all good art seems to come from some sort of it's not not tragic event, but something that really hits you emotionally.
Speaker 1: Well, pain and struggle always gives us good art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And I feel like and you made me feel the same way. But I feel like I do have some responsibility as someone that people know a little bit about to share in some of that and let people know, Hey, I deal with loneliness too, I deal with health issues too. I deal with this stuff too, and it's okay. The intent is not to be like, hey, I'm going to throw this out here and make people wonder if my wife's alive. You know, that's not what I'm going out of all.
Speaker 1: The people that troll social media for you know, clicks, and Ryan is not that guy.
Speaker 2: No, I'll go months without a post and then suddenly I'll get like in a mood, I'll and I'll send something. And this was a particular thing that Trista was doing. And it was the end of the school year. It's been kind of a long year for us, moving and lots of things going on. So whatever the culmination of all that happened, and I was in that sort of place, so I sent that out and as kind of a reminder, And honestly, the intent was Trista wasn't going to be able to have access to social media until she got finished with this experience she was on. So I was going to post these things, knowing the second she had access to it, she would look at it and she could see like, here's the here's what happened while you were gone, Here's how much we missed you, here's how much you know, how important you are to us, all this sort of stuff, and then it just blew up in my face and backgard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I meant this to be a love letter to my life, not the most dramatic thing. Yeah, yes, but and the funny thing is and then it kept going, and it kept going. But that's that's the world we live in, right, the clickbait, it all just kept It's so funny because of all the people in the world who would never want that or do that, right, And I'm sure Trista was like, what did you do? You blew up my life?
Speaker 2: I know it was. It was nuts, even the totally innocent ones, like when we left Mexico, I think I just said, like, audios, we had this staying there with me and the kids. We always would be like no, SBN s Moubian like it's this isn't good. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're not just good, We're great.
Speaker 2: That's all I put. And people are like, oh my god, stop it with the drama.
Speaker 1: And speaking to the kids, because this is the Father's Day edition. Maxwell and Blakesley, you were a father, your kids are You're getting up there?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: What fourteen sixteen now?
Speaker 2: Yep? Well fifteen sixteen, sixteen fifteen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, that's that's true. July. Well wait, who's she's April.
Speaker 2: She's April third. Max will be seventeen in July July twenty sixth, on your birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, well I never let him forget it. How is how has that changed now? Because I loved every aspect of being a dad when they were kids, you know, like babies and growing up, and then you're teaching them how to walk and talk and introducing them to hockey and all those things. But now that they are young adults, as they kind of are now at this age, how is how is your relationship with them evolved and how has it gotten better?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'm like you, I feel like every phase in life I was, I was in the in the mindset of like, I wish they could just day of this age forever, and then they would go from four to six and they're like, ooh, this is even better. And now we're having adult conversations. I have less time with them because they're so busy and they're like Max can drive himself to hockey. So we don't have those moments anymore. And you can tell there they're wanting to be independent and they're wanting to grow, and so some of it now is allowing that to happen, sort of allowing the mistakes to happen, allowing the experiences to happen rather than trying to formulate those for them, right, and that's sometimes tough. But both Tristan and I are in this place where you go from oh, my god, not another hockey tournamently we got a every week and it's hockey, Hockey dance dance, to like, oh, I can't wait for the next hockey game because you can see the end event. Max would love to play hockey after high school, but we know the sports world is difficult and that's not always an option. So An injuries or what ever happened. So I find myself soaking up every opportunity to watch them do the things they love to do now, and like this trip to Mexico, just hanging out with them and going snorkeling, and you know, I would be dead tired from surfing or something and LAKESI would want to go out and snorkel and you're like, oh, yeah, let's go, let's go do it, because in the back of your mind, you're like, you just know your opportunities to do this are limited as they continue to grow and become more independent. And then the next thing, you know, they're the one with ones with the kids and we're the grandfathers. You know, this is the this is the rabbit hole. I can't go down too far or it gives me anxiety. I'm like, oh, my god grandfather, I can't be a godfather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, just you know, I always say I tell parents, like, you know, I was always worried about the college step, And it really was the driving that separates you, because man, how much do you miss picking them up from hockey? And yeah, your car stunk to death because you lacrosse and hockey are the smelliest sports in the world. But the kids would be in the backseat just talking to each other with their friends, and that was the download. You got all, you know, the information, and you really heard exactly how excited they were, how hurt they were, or whatever it was. And that is really that pivotal moment when they start driving, and you do you relish those moments. Now, I'll meet you at your game, and in that hug after the game is over never gets old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know, it's it's I mean, parenting is one of those things that you people tell you how great it is, and until you actually experience, you never really know the depth of it. And I actually just saw something recently where I think it was David Coggins or something, one of those crazy dudes was like, and this is the period of life I feel like I'm in is it's all about setting my kids up. That my trophies, if you will, in life, are my kids, how they interact with other people. They're my representation of of who I am and who I want them to be. And I just want to give them as much as I can at this point in their life to set them up to be successful, caring, sympathetic, empathetic, smart young people. And so that's why you know, Tristan, I moved to Denver, we did or we've done this kind of major life change in order to just put the full focus on our kids for this last two three years because we know that they're going to go out in the world and it's really important. Your first impression on in the world is really important. And you know, I'm not saying that selfishly that that I want them to represent me. I want them to go out and be like, oh, hey, Ryan's a great dad because his kids are great, but kind of I do. I want them to go out there and be like, hey, these are great kids. You must have been there for them. You want you that's just that's kind of the validation for the amount of love and an opportunity that you can give your kids. And so that's been the real focus that it's not keeping them necessarily just like actually safe, you know, like making sure they don't drown and you know, crack their head open the anymore. It's basically setting them up to be competent young adults and confident people. And that's a trickier thing to do with teenagers.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you said something very important. I think as a dad, as a parent, allow your kids to fail. Don't always save them from every moment. And it's hard to do. You want to go in and I think this generation of parents has has done that to a fault of going in and never letting kids fail. And you really need to let them figure things out. Like if they're not getting the playing time on a team and they're bitching and moaning about it, it's like, okay, well then go talk to your coach, you go talk to them, or you do this, find out what you need to do, and see, you know you're failing this class. You go in and I'm not going to go in and talk to your teacher. This is on you, and you know you can help give them those guidelines and how the parameters of how to do that. But it's got to be on them to have those tough conversations and to allow them to lose, to fail to all those things are important that you know, because they're going to in the real world. You're not always going to get the job. You're not always getting the trophy. That's not how it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you're right, And no matter how hard you try to protect them from all that stuff, you can't. I had a really great fire chief one time. We were talking about his son, and his son played football and he was struggling, like you said, and he came right out and said, listen. His son's name was Taya, and he said, Tya, you're not really that good, Like you need to start thinking about after football life. And then he said he actually said that was the worst mistake he ever made in his life because he could have just been supportive, like, hey, maybe hit the weight room a little more, be faster, knowing in the back of his mind that life was going to teach his son that lesson. So it hurt their relationship because his dad discouraged him from pursuing what at the time was a dream rather than just supporting, which is what I do with my I mean, you know, I am no one thought I was going to go play one to get my one play in the NFL that I got, ever, because my parents never told me to stop pursuing that dream. And I'll never tell Max to do that, even though I know he's got a less than one percent chance of everythlaying.
Speaker 1: He'll climb no matter how good you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but life will teach him that lesson, And so allowing life to teach them some lessons is really it's really hard for Trista, especially she she wants to be like and God bless her, she is the most nurturing, caring person all I've ever met. But that's the battle her and I have. It's like, hey, you gotta let you, gotta let him go a little bit, because they're they're not going to listen to you in the first place, So just let them learn the lesson and salvage your relationship with them and then be there to kind of help them well.
Speaker 1: And I always felt like, if you know the failures on these small scales of you didn't make the varsity, or you didn't get to start this this season, or you didn't get the part and the play that you wanted. Yeah, those are really nice small failures that will help you later in life when you actually have something meaningful that you know, you think it's the biggest thing in the world, but it's not. You know, there's bigger things ahead in their life that they're going to have to, you know, get over those obstacles, and so you got to have those smaller micro failures later so you can handle the big stuff. How would you like to celebrate Father's Day?
Speaker 2: I think I'm actually working, which is usually.
Speaker 1: The case, but saving lives, it's what it's what he does.
Speaker 2: Hang on one second, we have this puppy who is chewing up my daughter's ballet issue damage.
Speaker 1: That was the biggest dad comment ever. I have a puppy who's chewing up my daughter's belly shoe. There you go. That just sums up Father's day right there.
Speaker 2: Thatsris has been asking me that too. And then i'lso have my fiftieth birthday birthday coming.
Speaker 1: Up and welcome to the club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, great, I don't know I don't. I would love to just spend some time with the family. We had this that Mexico trip was just so awesome. For whatever reason, our kids get along really well when we're on vacation. They suddenly become friends rather than just siblings. And yeah, I would love to somehow be able to duplicate that on that day. But I don't put a lot of I guess weight on these sorts of days anymore. It's just for me. Every day is Father's Day. I get to enjoy being a dad every day I wake up in the morning, and that's plenty good for me.
Speaker 1: That sums it up. That's like, you know, I did a separate little podcast about what Dn's like. Dad just want honestly, if you take a moment, you give us your time, give us a call, write us a letter. Did your kids get the writing gene? Did you pass that down to them to take time to write letters?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Max?
Speaker 2: Max has a girlfriend and she took a family vacation for twelve days over in Europe or something. I didn't even know this, but Tristad told me. He didn't tell trust either. He wrote her a note for every day she was gone, and then presented it to her when she got back in like a fancy box that he like wrapped sort of special, and I didn't read it. Stop it, geeth, he's got breastmant he's chewing on he uh so. And then the second part of that is he hated English class starting the school year. And then we got a note from his teacher about a month and a half ago before school saying how proud he was of Max in the progress he's made writing and he's he's embraced it. And he didn't. It's not natural. I kept telling him, like, listen, you need to know how to do this. It's important. But it's crazy Chris, like just seeing him all of a sudden be fully engaged in life, reading reading books, like he just read that Make Your Bedbook from cover to cover yesterday, and he's like he's into it. He's trying to get better at sports. He wakes up every morning and goes over the ice drink it's like fifteen minutes from our house, skates for an hour by himself. Like he's just driven. And it's really cool to see Blake'sy's the same way, minus the getting up at six in the morning. But She's the same way with dance, and it's you just get so proud of your kids because they are figuring it out, and they're figuring it out kind of on their own, without a whole lot of pushing. We're just, like I said, we're just sort of supporting them and they're somehow managing to figure it out. So it's cool.
Speaker 1: Well, they're managing because you're an excellent dad. You're an amazing example of the grind, the fortitude, what it takes to be successful, to overcome you know, health obstacles, et cetera. And that's why I wanted to have you on. I don't get to talk to you enough, and we have two more dads waiting in the wings, but I really wanted to have you on because you really, I think you are a shining example of a just a good man and a good human. But you're a great dad and so happy Father's Day, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thanks sir, I appreciate it. It's great. Likewise, the feeling is mutual.
Speaker 1: My love to you to trust it to the kids. Have a great Father's Day and I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Chris.
Speaker 1: Hey there he is my next father, my next guest on this Father's Day edition of the most dramatic podcast ever. God he's still handsome as can be. JP Rosenbaum, How you doing, buddy?
Speaker 4: Oh good?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 4: It's been a long time.
Speaker 1: It's been so long. I was telling one of our producers. I said, she said, how close are you in?
Speaker 3: JP?
Speaker 1: And I said, you know, he was one of my favorite humans that ever came through the show. I love him dearly. I used to get to see him five or six times a year when he was working in New York. We would always do dinner. We always made time, and I just I never get to Miami. I realized because of you, how little I ever go to Miami, Because if I did, You're my first call.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. Yet we moved down about ten years ago, and since then it's just, you know, life goes on, like you know, things get in the way, and I don't even get to La hardly ever. So but I still love you just the same.
Speaker 1: Well, if anybody's under it was under a rock. JP was obviously on the Backchorette with Ashley where they found love got married, and one of the reasons, obviously father of two Si and Ford, he did it kind of like me.
Speaker 2: He had to.
Speaker 1: You know, it's kind of the best set up, right, the older son younger daughter. That's yeah, as they call it the King's choice, right, right. And you know, one of the reasons I wanted to have you on is because A you're a good friend and you're a great dad. But b as you're in the same boat as I am. You your kids are a product of divorce and I you know, did that and one of the things I really and I'm gonna let you talk about this, but one of the things I see publicly anyway, is that you guys really respect each other. You still can have enough respect for your ex Ashley and say, hey, you're a good mom during Mother's Day, let's promote you on Mother's Day, and let's make sure the kids are with you on Mother's Day. And it seems to be on Father's Day she's really good about Hey, JP's a great dad. Let's make sure the kids are with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, I think we are very fortunate that we are amicable and civil and know that the kids come first. And you know, it's it's been a while now, it's been four or five years. I don't even I mean, we decided right before COVID hit, So it wasn't that way initially.
Speaker 1: Of course, feelings are hurt.
Speaker 4: It's anger, and admittedly so more so on my end, But we have come to a place now where everything is relatively easy, that we know the children come first, that there's no more anger and no more animosity, no more spitefulness, none of that really exists anymore. And you know, the kids, I think see that we are on the same team when it comes to them, and they always come first.
Speaker 2: And so it's not what it's.
Speaker 1: Easy well' and that's I think you hit the nail on the head. It's you have to make that commitment of the kids come first, and it's easier said than done, because, like you said, you know, divorce happens for millions of reasons, and it's never a great one, right, It's never we are so happy and everything's so awesome, we're going to get divorced. So there's always some contentious something and there's a raw nerve and so you really do have to swallow that pride some sometimes one person more than the other and just almost get over yourself a little bit and just make that leap, because the kids do have to come first, and man, they do notice, and it makes such a big difference, and it makes you a better dad, it makes her a better mom in the long run.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, And they see us together and there are smiles, there's no fighting, there's no anger, there's and they I know that they can feel that, you know, they can a lot. Yeah, And it just makes it easier. And we've just kind of now fallen into a rhythm where the kids are used to it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of share time.
Speaker 4: You know, we're technically fifty to fifty, but we see the kids.
Speaker 2: More than that. On both sides.
Speaker 4: We're flexible with days and times and watching the kids. And so it is as easy of a divorced kind of solution as you could you could hope for when you're getting divorced.
Speaker 1: I guess one of the great joys I have had, and talk about a weird thing to have with your job when I hosted the show for you know, twenty years, getting to know people like you. Ryan Sutter was just on Bob Guiney's coming on right after you. These these great friends of mine, and then I get to watch them become dads. And I've watched you guys become great dads and real role models for your kids and role models for other fathers. And I've been watching you and your kids and you're you're going fishing, and you know, I know you love that you're sharing your passion of that. And to watch the smile on your face when Ford's holding up you know, a peacock bass or something is just awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's it's you know, you don't want to miss any of those little moments or the firsts, right. I always talk about the first and and after a divorce, I'm only with them fifty percent of the time, so it feels like they mean even more.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're trying to take any of that stuff for granted, and the stuff that I know made me happy as a kid, seeing them smile and bring them joy. It's just it's just more impactful. I think after divorce that you're just more sensitive to it.
Speaker 1: That's funny, you know, I've I guess I've never articulated that, but I felt the same way as you know, even you know, no matter what your marriage is like, you're around your kids one hundred percent of the time. And in the best divorce mine included it's fifty to fifty and so you're just not there every morning to eat breakfast. You're not there when they come home from from school and bitch and moan or tell a great story. Just you're missing half of the content, right, And so yeah, that's in the best case scenario. So you're right, you really do end up relishing those moments and try to drink them in even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And the.
Speaker 1: Kids are probably going to be with you this week or this weekend, I assume, you know.
Speaker 4: So the schedule wasn't supposed to be that way, and they and they do obviously spend the day with me on Father's Day in the day with her on Mother's Day. But again, like we're very flexible, so we switched days up and I'm going to take the kids to New York and see my family, my grandfather, their grandfather, and oh awesome, Yes, we'll all be together this weekend.
Speaker 1: That's so great?
Speaker 3: Is that? You know?
Speaker 1: I guess that leads to the answer to the question I'm about to ask, is like what would be your perfect Father's Day? Like what do you enjoy?
Speaker 4: And I've had those commerce station a lot. You know, when you're married, you kind of want the day off as a thought.
Speaker 1: And that's never what happens.
Speaker 4: Right when you're divorced. You get the kids on Father's Day and look, it's great. So I have plenty of days off now, but now that you know that I'm divorced, So spending it with the kids doing something that I know they would love and I would love together that that that's that's what it's all about. And what better way to flap than flapp to New York and spend it with the family that we don't get to see all that.
Speaker 1: That is going to be cool. How how old is seeing Ford?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Ford is nine and a half. He just finished third grade. And sh she's seven and a half and she just finished first grade.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So now transitioning to summer and camp and then it starts all over in September.
Speaker 1: It is amazing how much it changes you. And and I just said this to Ryan, every stage gets better and better. You want to keep them in that baby, then you want to keep them as toddlers, then you want to but every stage gets better and better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it also flies by too. I mean it's such a cliche everyone says it, but.
Speaker 1: Like so so damn true, man, you blink and.
Speaker 4: They're in another grade. And and so I'm really trying to make a conscious effort to slow things down as much as I can and just enjoy it all because I think I read something really silly, and I don't know if it's true or not. It's one of those Instagram rabbit holes you go down where you spend eighty percent of your kids time, like with them up until you know they're fifteen years old, and then they don't want to be around you as much. They go off to college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they just got stuff right. They're driving, they're good, they got practice, they got school. I mean I used to. It was funny when, you know, because like you said, I was fifty to fifty. I would have the kids by myself in California. And I remember when my son started driving and he could drive my daughter to school as well, and I got up in the morning. I would make them lunch.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I always did that, even though they you know, they could do it themselves, but it was my thing. I would get up and take them to school. And I'll never forget that first time I made him lunch. And then the kids came down and they grabbed their lunch and they ran out, and I was like, oh, that's right, Like, i'll see you later. I'll see you all after school. And he's and my son's like, oh, I got practice, and my daughter's like, oh I have I do too. And then then I have this, and then I have this and I'm like, okay, so I guess I'll see you guys, like at seven o'clock tonight, right okay. And then like the door closed and the house was so quiet and I was there by myself, and I'm just like, oh shit, wow, this that was it. The switch just happened, and that was what you're talking about. It goes from that eighty percent. You're picking them up, you're hearing the stories, you're meeting, you know, and then it's like they're off and you know, and now Josh has graduated college and he's got his own apartment and he's working and it's come on and now I'm just like, hey, buddy, can we just go grab lunch? Can we go to the gym together? It's you do get You got to drink those moments in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm definitely focused on doing that, no matter how much to try and slow it down, it still flies by.
Speaker 1: I think the more you try to slow it down, the more it flies by. But but but but you know, Lauren always said this and I and it's true and I never articulated this either of Like you put in the time now, you put in the work now as a dad, so you just can enjoy them as adults later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think that's a that's a good way to look at it. I can't picture it yet, but but hopefully I'm setting the groundwork where they will want to spend time with me when.
Speaker 1: They're older, and they absolutely will. I'm telling you all the work you're doing now, what you and Ashley have done, how eloquent and beautifully you've handled everything. That's it pays twenty fold, not just the time you're going to get and how much they love you, but the human beings that you're raising, like they're going to be great people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's your biggest fear, right you want it to. I know, like nobody, no parent knows if they're doing a good job or not, right, No total douchebags. When they grow up and they know they're good people, and you know they follow the right path, and you never know, you know, you never know how they're going to turn out, but you do your best and kind of hope for the best.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys have done an incredible job, and I want to have you back on because you have not been a guest on the show, and you and I need to catch up. We need to really dive deep and get into life because there's so much more I want to ask you about. But most importantly, my friend, Happy Father's Day.
Speaker 4: Very very same to you, Chris.
Speaker 1: I missed you, but love you, brother. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Take care.
Speaker 1: Last, and certainly not least on this special Father's Day edition of the most dramatic podcast ever. One of my favorite humans and again the reason I have these guys on today. They're also great dads. Bob Guiney, happy father of two to two beautiful children.
Speaker 3: And Blake.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Buddy?
Speaker 3: I'm awesome, buddy. How are you happy? Fires Adu?
Speaker 1: Happy Father's Day? So I had Ryan Souter on, JP Rosenbaum, Bob Kenny and three very good friends of mine, great fathers. But you're all dads in very different ways. Ryan was kind of younger and probably more of the traditional route. We all saw him. You know beat you out to find love with Trista. We me welcome my ass And I wanted to dive in with JP about because you know, he's like me. His kids are a product of divorce and how he's handled that so eloquently, and they've done a great job. With you a father a little later in life. Yeah, And I've wondered, because you know, I'm a dad later in life. But my kids are now twenty years old. Your your son just graduated from preschool. I think he did.
Speaker 3: He did?
Speaker 1: How is that giving you the perspective on life of being a dad, of being able to appreciate things probably a little more.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I will say this, first of all, thank you for including me on this and and what great company to be in with JP and and Ryan and with you, I mean, and three people I really care about and I've gotten to know over the years. And I feel you know, you and I are the closest in age, and for us to be at such different stages in the game from the parenting perspective, it is pretty interesting. But you know, I will say this, I think for me, and I can only I can only say this about myself, right Uh, for me, to be at this age having kids. There is the right time for me, I think. I think at a younger point in the game, maybe I will. I don't want to say I would have necessarily been too selfish, because I don't want to think I would have ever been too selfish for for kids. But I did kind of get to a point thinking, well, maybe I'm not going to be a dad, and I always thought I would have been, you know, and to be in a spot now where I am a father and to realize, man, I don't even think I knew what love was until I have my kids, you know, and you can actually see them growing, and you know, yeah, I just I feel really blessed. I hate when people say that, because it's for whatever reason, it irritates me. But I do feel blessed, and I do feel lucky, and I do feel like I've had kind of a charmed existence from the standpoint of you know, I'm not the guy sitting here thinking, oh man, for for these damn kids, I'd be out doing something fun. Right, Well, you and I have had such a fun life, and it's like I don't regret anything, especially when I look back on it now and I have my family.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, I don't. By the way, it's it's not silly, it's not cheesy, and it doesn't know if you don't feel unbelievably blessed to you know, have to have your father around to celebrate Father's Day with, to call him, to have your dad be able to see his grandkids, and then now for me and you to feel that kind of love and responsibility and just be grateful for you know, being able to be a dad. It truly is the greatest thing. And I agree. You know there's benefits to being younger. I guess because you know you can stay up and you know you're a little more I think God gives you a little maybe a little more patience. But you know, when you're older, you probably have the perspective. And this is a very important thing for a dad, I think, is you kind of know what's important. You know what to really pour your energy into. I think as a young dad, I probably poured my energy into things that didn't matter. I mean we talk about sports. Everyone's oh, yeah, I want my kid to be the best in this and this, and you realize, oh my god, it doesn't matter. Your kid doesn't need to play one hundred and eighty baseball games and travel ball. You don't need to spend twenty billion dollars so they can possibly get a ten thousand dollars scholarship to cabbage. Yeah, it's just like funny. You know how to be there, you know how to talk to them. Probably more. I think there's a lot of benefits to being older.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny. You bring up the sports thing, and it is kind of interesting. You know, my I played college sports and my wife played you know, like really high level soccer, and you know, everyone's like, you know, well are you are you teaching how to fill in the ball yet I'm like, well, what he wants to you know, and they're like, what do you mean. I'm like, well, when he says, Daddy, let's let's play catch, I'm like okay. But I'm not like making him out there and run drills. I mean, you know, my dad didn't do that to me. And my dad the way my dad brought me up was was so casual. My dad was never my coach. He was always like maybe an assistant coach at best on a team if they needed volunteers, But he was never the one deciding the lineup and and I love him for that. You know, he was never in that situation where anyone looked at me like I was getting favorite treatment even though I wasn't, or you know whatever, and so yeah, I think I think that's.
Speaker 1: Been something supportive but casual.
Speaker 3: Supportive but casual. Yeah, definitely not pushing his own personal agenda on me ever, you know. And and I think I, if anything, I definitely learned that from my dad and the fact that you know, you know my story, but how I moved back home to Michigan and got to spend two years with my dad where he got to really know my son Grayson, and my son Grayson still talks about him to this day, you know. And he was Blake was born right before my dad passed, and so it was like, you know, my dad knew all right, my boys got you know, two sons, and you know, it was like, yeah, I'll never forget you know, the conversation I have with my dad on the day he passed away where he was like, you take care of those three boys, and I'm like three, and all of a sudden, I like, oh, my dad must be losing it, you know, and he's like, no, you take care of Grayson and Blake. The fact that he remembered Blake in that moment, you know, yeah, and he's like, and Jack, my nephew Jack, who's twenty three. I'm like, I think my brother in law JD's got that one covered. He's like, nah, you take care of him. You know, you got Jadre and my dad loves my brother in love. But it was so funny and it was just one of those moments where you know, I'm so thankful that things worked out the way they did and you know, I'm here now. But being a dad is the greatest privilege of my life.
Speaker 1: This week and this week is kind of bittersweet for you and uh and I share this with you know, Lauren, because her dad passed away when she was in her twenties. It's a bittersweet week for a dad like you because it's like, you're thinking of your dad and all the great things that you know, the stories you just shared, which is wonderful. But then you know, and but you are a dad as well, so you're you know, it's a little celebratory, it's a little probably a little bittersweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. You know, we did that to ourselves.
Speaker 2: For our wedding too.
Speaker 3: I don't think I told you this, but you know, I remember, and you were invited by the way. I know you couldn't come at the time. But we got married on my dad's birthday, and I just thought that was the greatest idea at the time. He was my best man, and yeah, you know, I just I didn't I didn't think it through, you know, And so I didn't realize every wedding anniversary I'm going to be like, yeah, let's go celebrate, and oh, I missed my dad, you know. But but yeah, so Father's Day is a different thing for me in that regard, because I do I do miss him, But but you know what, I missed my dad every day and I think I think ultimately from that perspective, I think my dad would have wanted me to spend that Father's Day with my boys doing whatever they want to do.
Speaker 2: And that's my wife.
Speaker 3: So I was like, what do you want to do for Father's Day? I'm like, whatever Grayson and Blake want to do.
Speaker 1: It's about That's so funny. I just asked Jp the same thing. I go, you know, what do you really want to do on Father's Day? And he said the same thing is. Honestly, he's like, you know, you would love to just have the day off, but like it's really just you want to make the kids happy and do something where we can all kind of enjoy the activity whatever that is. It's funny, you know. I Father's Day and Mother's Day are just there's such different animals.
Speaker 3: No one really cares how much about Father's Day. Mother's Day we're like, what can we get her? Oh my god, what will show us show how much we love her? And Father's Day is kind of like when is that yesterday?
Speaker 1: That's in the middle of June. The kids are at camp and we got to get you know, we're on vacation. It's like, here's a tie.
Speaker 3: Well, I just said this to my wife on a refrigerator. You know. Grayson just graduated preschool, as you mentioned, and he had this thing, you know, my mom and it's all it was from Mother's Day and it was everything from like my mom loves to do this, and my mom and I love to do that, and I'm like and I was looking at it and there's some funny stuff on there. You know, my mom likes to drink and Grayson puts the wine, you know.
Speaker 1: Like what he knows mom well, he knows mom so well.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, and I even said him, like, hey, Father's Day, we need to move it up. I'm like, he's already out of school. It's like, I'm not going to get one of these. I want to hear what he thinks of me.
Speaker 1: Well that and that is the case. It's true, like if you have a birthday, because I'm a July birthday. So it was never in school, and I was always so envious to the kids that like, you stopped and this is back in the day when you were allowed to bring food and she'd bring cupcakes and you'd sing and they had like this moment and I was like, oh man. I was like, I'm never going to get that in the middle of July. Same thing with Father's Day, Like yeah, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. It is. But I will say Canyon is pretty thoughtful. She goes, hey, don't ruin it, but we may have got you covered on this, and I'm like, oh really, So I'm interested to see what my son says. I do know. I do know one answer actually, which I think you'll find funny. So I said something to him one day about you know, Oh, I'm gonna go. Daddy's gonna go. We had like a bunch of friends over and I said, well, Daddy's gonna go get something to drink. And he said, is that a mister Guinea original? And that's what I call a vodka soda? You know, that's an m g Oh, that's a mister Guinea original, you know. And so he's like, is that a mister Guinea original. So now that I know he knows that, I can see it being on my little sheet. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hey, I've asked uh the guys about you know, being a dad and all that. But how I would like to end with you tell me a great memory, great story about your dad.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you're gonna make me cry. Sorry, too many to mention for sure, But you know, my dad was born on Veterans Day and my dad was which means so now if you think about what I just said, my my wedding day is also on Veterans Day. My and he was he was a marine, and he was a police officer in my hometown. And uh, you know, my dad was inducted into the Riverview Hall of Fame, which is you know, we're a small town just south of Detroit, and and and his proudest moment was for me. It was not the bachelor's stuff, not Michigan State football stuff, none of that. It was well before I had children, i should say, because that was really the proudest. But yeah, it was when I got inducted into the Hall of Fame, and we were both on the same wall, you know, had Robert guinea and Robert Guiney, and I decided to make my speech all about my dad that day. He was still with us, and he was there, and uh, at the end of my speech, uh, you know.
Speaker 2: Everyone was clapping and crying and everything.
Speaker 3: And I come down and I think, I'm gonna give my dad this big hug, and he's gonna you know, he's gonna get emotional, and you know he he did. Later I will say that, but in a moment, my dad goes, what the hell do you always do this? You know, you get an honor like this and you never talk about yourself. He's like, you always talk about me. And he's like, do you much how much pressure that puts on being the other Bob? Get me? And I thought it was so funny because I'm like Dad, I'm the other Bob Guinea, You're the o g Man, You're the original. But it was just like my dad, you know, leave it to him. He you know, he was never that great at really taking compliments or hearing someone talk about him, because all he wanted to do was hear about me or hear.
Speaker 4: About everyone else.
Speaker 3: And and so you know, Neils to say, I need to take a little page out of that, because I you know, I really love hearing. I love hearing about me.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about me.
Speaker 3: Let's Chris, I've heard so much about you. Can we talk more about me?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But it became one of those things that I was like, man, I just want to be like as I become older, and as I grow older with my children, I really I realize, you know, how our parents prepare us, you know, in ways that we don't even realize. And I think my dad really gave me the most amazing blueprint on how to be a dad without saying a thing and without ever preaching, and without ever trying to shove anything down my throat. And so as I as I am, you know, finally starting to discover these things and these messages. I think the greatest story I can tell about my dad would be the fact that, I mean, he really taught me how to be a dad every single day without saying a word. And I think I'm gonna try and do the same thing, you know, just trying to do as well as I can and his you know, hopefully he's watching me and he's thinking I'm doing a great job. But you know, it's it's pretty remarkable how much I think about him every day and those moments. You know, you get me emotional every time we talk. Chris, you do this thing a lot, by the way, You're really good at it. Oh but I love you, buddy, and I appreciate you let me talk about my dad a little bit. Thank you. Well.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you sharing that. And that is the true sentiment. If you take anything away from Father's Day, that is it the great men in our lives that teach give their selfless and most of the time never asking for anything in return. And often it's those lessons that we don't even realize we've received until much later in life. So my love to the og Robert Guinney, thank you, buddy, and my love to my dear friend Bob Guinny, who, by the way, you are a great dad and he would be incredibly proud of you as I am, and that's why I wanted to have you on the show today. And I loved you, and Happy Father's Day, man.
Speaker 3: I love you, buddy. You're a great example too as a dad, and I love you and I appreciate how much you give to your kids and to your beautiful life too, So I love you. Thank you for having me on, and thank you for including me in this group of great dads because I love those guys.
Speaker 1: So thank you, My thanks to three incredible dads and three incredible friends of mine. Ryan Sutter, JP Rosenbaum, Bob Guinney. You know, what are the takeaways? I just realized after saying goodbye to Bob, how different we all are different walks of life, we parent differently, We're very different dads. We've had different situations. But I would say successful, wonderful fathers in our own right and in our own way. And I guess the main takeaway is there's no right way, there's no one way. And you know, people will write books about parenting and this is the way to do it. I've never really believed in that because there is no one way, because no two kids are the same, No two human beings are the same. You know, with Joshua and Taylor, I can't parent them the same, just like Bob Guinney can't parent Grayson and Blake the same. They're just two different human beings that will have different experiences, different lives, different loves, passions, et cetera. And so I really respect the fact that those guys came on, shared their experience and how different they were. But again, I truly admire and respect all three of them, which is why I wanted to have them on. I love those men and they are strong, beautiful, wonderful guys, and I'm glad that we all can be friends and share. And again my best to Bob's late dad, the original Robert Ginney. To all of you out there, whether your dads are with us, whether they're unfortunately or not, Happy Father's Day. To all the dads out there, Happy Father's Day, and thank you for what you do, because I know a lot has made you know about parenting and this crazy world we live in. But a strong dad, that strong presence is such an important thing. I'm grateful for it. And your dad out there were grateful for you. So Happy Father's Day all, my love, thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.