Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings Ferry terms apply. All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you won't drink beer through a hot dog. It would have been good for.
Speaker 4: The show, probably wouldn't have been good for my body.
Speaker 3: Why you drink beer you eat hot dogs?
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, just the mixture of hot dog juices and beer.
Speaker 3: I don't think it would taste good, but it wouldn't put you in danger. There are things we do when we are up and coming media people try to raise profile, get garner attention, and this would have been a good one for.
Speaker 5: It's like abstract hazing. It's like things that we do in the media when we're new.
Speaker 3: You don't think I did stupid wacky goofy all the time on the radio in Kansas City and Houston. The only reason I want to make this clear, the only reason I'm not making you do it as a prerequisite of the show is because we're so late. Now that it's been done by so many people, they understand the gimmicks that we sometimes are resorted forced to resort to. That's right.
Speaker 5: You give me a gimmick that doesn't involve putting something inside of my body.
Speaker 3: It's drinking a beer on the one hundred percent does not even apply there.
Speaker 5: What do you mean it doesn't apply. I'm saying one hundred percent. I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you it's disappointing. Welcome in. It is another episode of What's Right with Nick Right, the podcast and YouTube show. We are right around the corner from sixty thousand subscribers on YouTube. So if you're listening to this on your phone, if you're a podcast listener, click the subscribe button. I don't know what our podcast subscription numbers are, but if you're watching this on YouTube and you'd like to subscribe to it on iTunes or Spot, we would greatly appreciate that. This past the previous show. This week was our longest show by a mile. It was an hour and twelve minutes long, and that was in part because I had been off work for a week, in part because I'm still not on television yet this week because we have an important, exciting announcement regarding First Things First coming soon, but that is temporarily keeping me off. There are all good things though today we're still not on TV right now, but we're not gonna go an hour twelve. We're gonna do our best to stick to the format and keep the podcast around forty minutes, so let's get right to it. First. Let's discuss what we're not discussing today. Here's what did not make the cut for today's show. Any Jimmy g scenario possible, Nick Saban getting a record deal at Alabama, and the Yankee fan who uses a hot dog for a straw. That last one didn't make the show because Demanse cowardly refused to participate in the bit for it. I don't know why he's still angry that I'm even referencing it, and there is I am holding it out small hope that his refusal to do this is all an elaborate ruse, and that in the final segment of today's show, Demandy's gonna break out. Uh, you know a bud and a Nathan's hot dog. You say it again.
Speaker 4: It won't be a budder, You're like a Budweiser. Is a bud just like a term for beer?
Speaker 3: Yeah no, a Budweiser, Oh yeah no, won't be doing it. Oh what's wrong with a with a nice American logger? Buddy, It's gotta be like a Corona's Okay, Corona's good. But I don't know if the Corona I feel like it doesn't matter. We're not doing it because Demande said he's not doing it, So that's fine. He doesn't want to participate. So let's get to the actual show. Demons. Good to see you. Even though I'm a little disappointed in you today, I have a feeling that guy.
Speaker 4: Is actually disappointed that I don't want to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course I am, man, It's of course I am. But that's fine. We'll move on. Don't worry about it. What are we starting with today?
Speaker 5: The Cage Katie trade Shenanigans are finally over after two months yep. After requesting a trade and issuing an ultimatum, Katie has decided he's going to stay with the Nets.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: Uh last week he said there.
Speaker 5: Not last week, but last episode you said Katie was definitely going to get traded from the Nest yep.
Speaker 4: So what happened to you?
Speaker 3: All right? So I a credit to my two television co hosts, who, in addition to being great partners, and I'm sure if asked to drink hot dog through a beer through a hot dog straw, they would have done it. Unlike my podcast partner. They both nailed this in a way that I didn't the day of Katie's trade request demand. I guess July first, Kevin Wilds has a tweet where he's talking about all the different Katie takes and he has a gift of a roulette table roulette wheel, and he said, I'm going to put a few chips on the After a few weeks, this all settles down and Katie stays, and no one at the time was saying that that's what happened. Also credit to Chris Broussard, who for the last six weeks on TV has been adamant with me that the Nets should hold firm that unless they are going to get the greatest return for any player in franchise history, they should tell Kevin Durant, you got four years left on your deal, You're not going anywhere. And that's exactly what happened. And so I incorrectly assumed that Katie would not break the decade plus long streak of superstar players in this league getting exactly what they wanted, and even if it was slightly delayed, we have not seen a superstar that wanted to get traded not end up getting traded. James Harden had to wait a couple weeks longer than he wanted to. But guys who been Simmons, who's not even a superstar, had to wait a couple months longer than he wanted to. But they all got their way. So why didn't Durant get his way? I think it was a confluence of a bunch of somewhat unrelated events. The first reason that I truly believe Kevin Durant did not get his way has to do with Dan Age and the Minnesota Timberwolves. I think the Rudy go Bear trade was such a ridiculous return for such a wild, good, clearly flawed player, it skewed the market for everything else. And so if I'm gonna use a mediocre analogy here, but if you're thinking about selling your house, and you think your house is worth about, I don't know, call it three hundred thousand dollars, and a guy up the street who has a worse house than yours by every worse, smaller square footage, fewer bathrooms, more issues, worse roof all that stuff, sells his house for eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Then all of a sudden you're thinking, well, I have to get at least that, and if you don't, then then you're probably like, well then it's not the right time to sell. So I think the go Bear trade up the marketplace significantly. I think it's affecting the ability to trade. Donovan Mitchell. I think it's affecting a lot of things in the league right now. That's the first point. The second point is Kevin Durant handled this incredibly oddly. He did not go public with his trade request, but nobody was disputing that it happened. He then met with Joe Cion Sean Marx and demanded the coach in the GM be fired, which I thought was the checkmate move, because how can you ask the coach in the GM to work with him after he makes that demand. He doesn't. He's active on Twitter, he doesn't dispute any of these things. Then it is reported he is contemplating retirement. He immediately comes to Twitter to dispute that notion, which while I don't think many people believed it was really his one of his last remaining leverage pieces. And then at the end when they announced, make this announcement that we're all one big, happy family again, We're gonna work together. He has his company the boardrooms letter had on it alongside the nets, so that was a joint announcement. So kt never put out any official statement demanding of trade, but he did let his company's letter had be used on the announcement saying we're not trading anybody. So I think all of that was very odd, and I think Katie handled it in an odd way. The last piece of this is I think KD and myself underestimated the medal of Joe Side, the owner of the Brooklyn Nets, who I think, ultimately I thought Joe said was going to say, I just don't want this embarrassment, this distraction. What it would appear Joe Sigh's motivations were, I am not going to be told what to do by anyone. I am one of the richest people in the history of the world. I am incredibly powerful, I'm incredibly successful. Kevin Durant is not dictating terms to me disrespect. Yes, I think that's very clear that's what happened, and Katie realized, Okay, I don't have any other options, any other great options. The last piece of this is there was an odd report that we kind of discussed on the previous pot about the Grizzlies wanting to be involved. But in that report it said the Grizzlies did not want to trade John Morant, Fine, Jaron Jackson Jr. Huh or Desmond Bane for Kevin Durant. Then there was a report the Pelicans considered brandon Ingram untouchable. And then there was a report that the Celtics, while they would include Jalen Brown, would not include him in concert with either Marcus Smart or Robert Williams. So what does that tell you? That tells you the rest of the league. While no one denies how great Katie is trying to give, we're skeptical of trading for him when they were I think afraid, maybe a little afraid about his health, but more afraid that he's gonna get sick of being here in a year or two and do this whole thing again. So all of those things came together to make it to where he's going to run it back.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I'll let you will get into whether or not I think it can work in a moment, but it's incredibly odd and I do not consider this story over. I think there are I think it is now almost a guarantee that Durant is going to start the season with the Nets. And by the way, vindication for my season ticket purchase. Ye about that while my takes went down in flames, those season tickets. You realize game one of this NBA season, you and me and your mom and one of your sisters.
Speaker 4: And one of my sisters, you got four tickets.
Speaker 3: One of them is gonna get left out. Uh are going to be rowt in center court Barclays watching Kevin r and Kyrie Urvay playing Zion and then and the Pelicans. It's gonna be so dope. So in that regard, that's great. All right, now let's talk Let's stay here and talk about how good they that. Oh wait, I didn't finish the thought. Just sorry, he's going to start the season with the nets. If those sideways, if Ben Simmons still can't play, or if something happened to Kyrie, or if there's a big blow up with Steve.
Speaker 4: Nash, what can happen with these guys?
Speaker 3: I do and the other and the other part of why there could be a trade mid season a lot of these teams. Darryl Morey said this to me once not long ago, and it's a smart point, which was the reason this time of year, right before a season starts is the hardest time to make a trade is because everyone loves their team. Everyone loves the moves they made in the offseason, everyone loves their draft picks. Everyone.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But if we're six weeks into the season and say the Pelicans are like, oh man, the brandon Ingram looked great without Zion, but now with Sigon, with the ball in his hands that much, and with CJ, he's kind of being minimized to be there are things that can happen that can make a team that otherwise wouldn't engage re engage. And if things are uncomfortable and bad in Brooklyn, So I don't. I am still not fully convinced Rant is finishing the year with the Nets, but he is going to start the year with the Nets. So I got that wrong. Go ahead next, all right?
Speaker 5: So the Nets are now plus nine hundred to win the twenty twenty three title. Yep, they have obviously got Ben, Kyrie and Katie. Yeah, what do you think are the Nets contend?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: I it is gobsmacking to me that people are going to step on this rake again. The oh on paper, I mean, look at this team. This team was sixteen playoff wins away from a championship. You need sixteen wins to win a title. They got zero. They were sixteen wins away. Yeah, KD played all of their playoff games. Kyrie played all of their playoff games. Oh but Nick add Ben Simmons, They add, I've never seen so much love for TJ. Warren except for the two weeks in the bubble he looked awesome. Guys played like twelve games since then, and they added Royce O'Neil. Those three editions, you lose Dragics, but he so what, You probably lose Blake, So what, It's fine, those three editions are worth how many playoff wins one and a half two? Now if will they be better in the regular season and therefore not play a team as good as Boston Round one?
Speaker 5: But like, look at the things that happened with the Nets last year, Like as far as Kyrie not playing half the season, you know, Ben Simmons came, it came late, didn't play any games on them. Exactly what do you what do you think happens when these guys start in the beginning of the season with each other and like I think you just think that the players won't mesh well because there I feel like, with all of their skill levels, there's no reason they shouldn't be contenders on paper.
Speaker 3: But the the idea that we are, they did not make an earth shattering player edition. Let's be clear that Royce O'Neill and TJ. Warren are rotational guys.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Their major addition is Ben Simmons, who has not played a basketball game in a year and a half and when we've seen him in the playoffs has been questionable at best. Let's call him that, right. The coach who had massive issues just from being a coach now is deal with the fact that his star player, who the iconic Steve Nash image of his entire nets tenure. I'm gonna show it to you because I don't know if you remember. It was after the best game of Kevin Durant's life, the Game five against the Bucks, a game I was in attendance at and geat he played all forty eight minutes at forty eight nineteen and ten or something to potentially save their season. That's the image of Nash just gugging him. Give him the giant bear hug that guy said fire him. Yeah, I mean that's gonna go great.
Speaker 5: Chemistry is definitely, but I just feel like they have no choice but to get that chemistry out.
Speaker 4: Okay, I gotta make it or break it.
Speaker 3: That's what everybody says. Man. With this team, they're like, no, I do not believe in them as contenders and this idea. Everyone's like, Oh, but Kyrie Irving, he's gonna he's learned his lesson. No he hasn't. No, he has not, and so they will. Here's the problem for the next At their best, they will look like one of the very best teams in basketball. In order to win a championship, you must be at that level for two months. They've barely been able to be at that level for two weeks over the last two years. So no, I don't think that's gonna change. And they're still gonna suck defensively even with Ben Simmons. Okay, what's next?
Speaker 4: Okay, so sorry.
Speaker 5: After the Kadie News broke, Patrick Beverly took to Twitter to speak his mind. Yeah, Beverly is basically saying talking about how the situation was mishandled or handled poorly. Should I say, is Patrick Beverley just inserting himself or does he actually have a point.
Speaker 3: All right, here's the tweet. Y'all can sit and don't say nothing, but that ain't cool. It's dude with families out here and we haven't got a job because of this KT sh and to be on and off ain't cool. Blessing Gang. Beverly then tweeted, it's not good business. These owners can't wait until new deal comes. All we doing is hurting the future. Good day, Blessing Game. Katie then tweets hashtag blame Katie, and Beverly says, damn gang who said I was talking about.
Speaker 4: You that part was crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm speaking about how it was done both sides to keep this private, but noted all of this was crazy. First of all, Damn Gang who said I was talking to you about you.
Speaker 4: You buddy, that that part's crazy.
Speaker 3: When he said because of this KT shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's wild.
Speaker 5: But his initial point does I don't really like how this honestly, But now that you say that, I.
Speaker 4: Think that you made a good point about it.
Speaker 5: The owner not being disrespected by Katie or being little kind of makes sense because Katie didn't seem to stall out and he wanted to stay there.
Speaker 4: He stalled out and ended up staying there because.
Speaker 3: He had no choice, had no choice.
Speaker 4: So in that sense, I guess you really can't blame.
Speaker 3: But the other part of listen the whole thing Beverly is just it's such a ludicrous he again, I've made this point for and I will make it again. You if you want to talk trash about Kevin Durant, you must either be a great, great basketball player or not a basketball player.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants to hear Patrick Beverly's Kati takes. I'm sorry, they just don't. Nobody's like, oh man, what's the amazing Dave Chappelle's skit where he's talking about how after nine to eleven MTV called up job Rule to get his take on it? And Dave Chappelle's like, Chappelle's like, I don't want to hear buy John Rule. I'm scared, man, Like where's John what's Johnsony? Like was there anyone in the world that after the Katie stuffs, are like, oh man, what's Beverly's take on it? But the best part of the Beverly tweet is the noted but noted what noted for? What fucking Roos, What are you gonna do about it? Now, Patrick Beverley, you're a foot shorter than him, and the last time you played him in a relevant game, he's scored fifty on your Clippers with This is back when he was with Golden State, his last the about a month where he blew his achilles. He scored fifty on the Clippers and Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams drass about after the game and they both just started laughing when they were asked about why you couldn't stop him, and Lou Williams goes, we tried, and Patrick Beverley's laughing. He's like, what do you want to do? Is Kevin Durant? And now Patrick Beverley is like, and there's the clock. We got go a little long but not super long? Uh? Patrick revers like, oh, noted? Can you? Patrick Beverly is gonna be doing his stupid little stance with his forearm in Durant's back and Durant's gonna have to look down to see him.
Speaker 5: I'm such a good think Katie took the high ground as far as like the hashtag.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Katie's funny on Twitter. Yeah, Katie's got a good Twitter persona. Katie was on one yesterday on Twitter. So no, I'm I'm all for that. But okay, let's let's wrap this up because I said, we're not gonna go super long today.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about your boy. Now that Katie and Kyrie are staying, Yes, your boy. Now that Katie and Kyrie are staying in Brooklyn, the Lakers seem to it's probably.
Speaker 4: Stuck with Russ Uh.
Speaker 5: It seemed like when Lebron resigned that they'd give up the one and two pick the trade for Kyrie. But that's definitely not happening now. So what should the Lakers do with Lebron now this is their situation or their reality?
Speaker 4: Should I say?
Speaker 3: Okay, so all right, I'm not yet certain Kyrie won't end up on the Lakers, because, like I said, I'm not yet certain this thing doesn't still blow up in Brooklyn. This is obviously less than.
Speaker 4: Idea yep for the Lakers.
Speaker 3: There was a scenario where everyone was gonna win. Katie was going to go to Boston, Kyrie was going to go to the Lakers. We could have a Lakers Celtics NBA Finals, the two most storied franchise in NBA history, both with seventeen championships right fighting for eighteen. It would be Katie versus Lebron in a fair match in the finals for the first time since twenty twelve, and we could see it. Now. The Lakers have some work to do. Yeah, my guess is what the Lakers do is start the year with Russ. Okay, see if it can work with Darvin Hanes.
Speaker 5: Hey man, everybody's disrespecting russ Man. I think the guy just had I think he let the fans get in his head. Much like Ben Simmons. I think that the fans really do have like an impact on like the way that players play and like when they're not on your side and like they're chanting stuff like that. Towards Russell Westbrook. I think that I think that I honestly think he's gonna prove people wrong this.
Speaker 3: Sha okay, I hope you're right. I think if he's gonna prove people wrong, it's gonna have to come in a different uniform and this idea. I read a report while I was in Rome that there the plan is to try to turn Russell Westbrook into a corner three point shooter.
Speaker 4: Like come on, man, oh, that's that's wild.
Speaker 3: That's wild. It's not a good idea. But if they do make a trade, it's probably with Indiana, the deal we keep hearing about involving Miles Turner. This is a bummer for the Lakers. There's no way around it. Kyrie was the only guy they could acquire at that level given their lack of assets, because they were the only team that wanted him. And now it looks like the Nets are just running it back. So yeah, it's not ideal. It's not ideal for the Lakers right now. They much like the Nets, are in the non contender category.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that you're being fair.
Speaker 3: I'm of course, I'm always fair. I'm spitting, I'm so angry. I'm always fair. Don't doubt my fairness. We'll be right.
Speaker 6: Back when it comes to towing.
Speaker 4: Seeing is believing.
Speaker 6: That's why Chevy Truck's advanced camera technology offers up to eight available cameras for fourteen unique views, so you can focus on the view that really matters. Chevrolet Together, let's drive. Learn more about Chevy Truck's at Chevy dot com Safety. Your driver assistance features are no substitute for the driver's responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner with the vehicle Owner's manual for important future limitations and information.
Speaker 5: The rust thing might have been spotty, but the nets I'm not gonna lie, man, if the team's gonna stay together. I don't think the chemistry is obviously important, but I feel like if the chemistry was as bad as everybody thinks of it, that it should be given everything that happened, then they wouldn't be sticking together. Okay, we'll see the horrible take.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I mean you were like, if the chemistry was as bad as everybody thinks as, they wouldn't be sticking together. Well, here's how bad the chemistry was. Kyrie asked for and requested the ability to seek a trade. Kadie demanded the trade, then demanded the coach and the GM to fire. Those things happened, and then they all came back to this is a couple that got divorce, filed for divorce, and then the then they got with their lawyers in their account and be like you'll both be banking, and it's like really, it's like, yeah, you gotta wait for these stocks the best or else you're just you're gonna pay a crazy tax penalty, so you need to wait like fifteen months and they need to get divorced. It's like, Okay, who's living downstairs. It's like you're still married and living together, but nobody thinks it's gonna work.
Speaker 4: So this is a toxic situation.
Speaker 3: I don't buy it. All right, welcome back in What's Right? Nick Right podcast and YouTube shows the second segment, and I want to before we get to our topic in the game, I want to acknowledge something, which is the passing of one of the greatest Kancity Chiefs of all time, the only Chiefs quarterback to win a Super Bowl prior to Patrick Mahomes, Lynn Dawson, And there is a massive personal connection between myself and Lynd Dawson. I just want to acknowledge, which is I do not think it is a stretch to say that I would not be in this field or have this job if not for some things Lynn Dawson helped do for me when I was a very little kid, even though he didn't know me. So Lynn Dawson was the voice of the Kancity Chiefs for my before I was born until a decade ago. He did the color commentary on the radio broadcast, and after the games there was a postgame calling show Bill Grigsby that Lynn Dawson was a part of in different various capacities. And that was where I got my passion for radio and my passion for giving takes. So I would go to these Chiefs games with my dad every Sunday, they at home games, and we'd stay for the whole game. We'd get their hours early and tailgate. The tailgate in kans City's legendary, it's unbelievable. We'd stay for the game, and then after the game we'd be in the parking lot and the postgame call and show would be on. And I called every single game, and I was nine years old, ten years old, eleven years old, and they could tell that, and at first they wouldn't let me on, and then I realized they wouldn't let me on because they didn't want to put kids on. So I would have when the call screener would answer, I would have my dad saying Nick in Kansas City, and then when they put him on hold, give it to me. And the first time I got on, I was nine or ten years old, and I don't remember specifically if Lynn was on this broadcast was just Bill Griggsby whatever it was. They complimented my observation and they said call back anytime, and they called me Nick the Kid, and I called into every show for like the next three years, and it was they had like a special segment where it was like, oh, it's time for Nick the Kid, and oh, yeah, I don't know if you knew this, And the people who sat in our section at the games would occasionally be like, I heard your calls and now and then you know, I ended up going into talk radio, going and doing that, and I always think back on that as like the beginnings. And so Lynn had been in hospice and he lived an amazing life and you know, he passed away. It was reported Wednesday morning that he passed, and I just he was a kans City legend on the field, but for people who aren't from kan City, he then, you know, I never saw him play. He retired well before I was born, but he was the lead sports anchor for Channel nine in kans City my entire life there, and he was part of the radio broadcast along with Mitch Holtis for a huge part of my life there. And so thoughts with his family, but I just wanted to say, like, if not for his and Bill Grigsby's kindness, I don't know. I always felt like those call ins helped give me the confidence that to when I first started actually doing radio, I wasn't so nervous because I felt like I'd been doing it for years and years. And so that's my Lynn Dawson story that I wanted to share with the audience as the news came out this morning that he had passed away, all right.
Speaker 4: Never knew that that's actually that's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: And what I will add is this, because of that experience my entire career, when I was doing local radio, and on the local radio shows, we took callers. When kids would call, I'd get I'd let them on. You're not really supposed to let them on because usually it's not good like content for the listener. But I felt like a kinship the little kids that would call because that was me and I was, and I still to this day, I was, I will remember, and then we'll move on. When I was a teenager, I got to go on a trip with the Chiefs through my mom's job, to a game in Tampa Bay. And like, when I say a trip with the Chiefs. I got to fly on the team plane with them. Okay, and on the plane, more excited than to meet any of the players was to meet Lynn Dawson and Bill Grigsby. And I went up to Bill and I said, Hey, I don't know, you know, you don't know, You don't maybe don't remember, but I, for I was like probably fourteen at this time. I was like, I'm I'm the kid that calls in to every game. And he was like, you're Nick the kid. I was like, I'm And it was such like a cool moment that for me, I will always always remember. Okay, all right, let's get back to the show, demonse, what are we starting with today? All right?
Speaker 5: We were starting with the quarterbacks. Okay, we've all talked enough Tom Brady lately. Sure the guy we haven't talked about enough is or at all, really is Derek Carr. Sure he claims that he is not upset at all that Tom Brady might have ended up in Vegas. Yep, And everybody thinks that he's gonna have an amazing season with DeVante Adams being added.
Speaker 4: What offense are you most afraid of in the AFC West?
Speaker 3: Oh, to me, it's not even close. It's the Chargers. I think it is without a doubt, the Chargers. Keenan Allen's very good, even though he doesn't like me, because I think the audacity to call him I think the fourteenth best receiver in football. He might be eleventh. That'll do whatever it was. This is not bad. I like their coach. I love Justin Herbert. I think they're gonna force a lot of turnovers with the defense, and so the offense is gonna have a lot of short fields. The Chargers. I believe the Chiefs are gonna win the division, but if they don't, it will be because the Chargers win the division. So the Chargers to me are a clear number two behind Kansas City just from the offensive side of things. Number three, I do think is the Raiders because of Devonte Adams and because while Derek Carr is limited, he is more than capable and maybe he'll take a few more chances this year with the addition of Demonte Adams. The one I'm least scared of is the Broncos. And I know everyone loves Russ except for me, but they're already dealing with injuries at their wide receiver position. Offensive line. I don't think it's gonna be fixed overnight, and I think Russ is just a lesser player than people are pretending that he is. He is not what he once was. So to me, there's no doubt it's Chiefs one from an offensive perspective, but Chiefs one, Chargers two, Raiders three Broncos four from an overall team success perspective. I'll probably flip the Raiders and the Chargers because I'm sorry, excuse me, the Raiders and the Broncos. I think the division will finish Chiefs won, Chargers, two, Broncos three, Raiders four, because I do think the Broncos will have a far better defense than the Raiders will. But I don't think it's gonna be a three playoff team division. I think we're gonna have two playoff teams, the Chiefs and the Chargers. The AFC is too deep, I think for any of these divisions have three playoff teams. But it's clearly the Chargers. All right, I'm told we're playing a new game.
Speaker 5: We are playing a new game, and it's called all in or fold Yep.
Speaker 4: I will deal with you.
Speaker 5: I will deal with you a hand, and you will be all into or you're fold to disagree. Yep, our first one we've got the Eagles will win the NFC East.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's I will oh, I will fold on that.
Speaker 4: No, I folding.
Speaker 3: Here's something I don't think many people know. The Dallas Cowboys scored the most points in football last year. Not in their division, not in the NFC, and all the football. They scored the most points. Now. Do I believe in the Cowboys in a big spot? Of course not. Do I believe in the Cowboys and the playoffs? No? Because of Michael McCarthy. Do I think some of the Cowboys or stuff is going to regress to the mean because of the losses at wide receiver? In because I think they had seven or eight defensive touchdowns last year, and it's hard to have a defensive touchdown every other game. Sure, but the Cowboys are the best team in that division. The Giants are drawing dead, Washington is drawing dead. Then there's Philly. I I am not a jail and hurts believer. I know they made the playoffs last year. I like the kid. I like how he's handled himself after losing his job at Alabama. I just do not think I just don't think he is an above average NFL starting quarterback. So I do not think the Eagles can win the division, all right?
Speaker 4: Next, all right, the Ravens will be the AFC top seed. All right.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing with the all in er fold dynamic here is there's no middle ground. Right, It's either I'm certain it will or I'm certain it won't. If you the smart play would be to take the field, like meaning, will the Ravens be the top seed or will any of the other fifteen teams be the top seed? The smart play obviously there's take the field. But if I look at it as do I think there is any individual team that has a better chance to be the number one seed thon the Ravens, the Ravens versus kan City, the Ravens versus Buffalo one for one, I would take the Ravens. So I'm all in. I think the Ravens because they are not going to have the schedule that kan City has, because in the regular season, at the very least, we know how dynamic Lamar can be because they have continuity that I'm afraid the Bills don't have because of the loss of Brian Dable. There are a lot of reasons that I believe the Bills and the Chiefs and the Chargers might all be better Super Bowl contenders than the Ravens. But I like the ravens chances of having a monster regular season, So I think the Ravens. I believe the Ravens are the third best team in the AFC, maybe second. I think it's Chiefs Bills Ravens or Chiefs Ravens Bills. I'm not trying to disrespect the Cincinnati but I and I think they're a playoff team but not a super Bowl team. Again, so I like the Ravens a lot. They were eight and three last year despite a ton of injuries. Before all the injuries caught up with them, they lost a couple games in the very last moments. So yeah, I'll go all in on that, because if I fold on something, it's gotta be. If I fold on it and it happens, it's incredibly embarrassing for me. So I will go all in on that. All right.
Speaker 4: Next, you will draft a Chiefs running back in fantasy.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm folding that because I won't be drafting any running backs in fantasy because I won't be playing fantasy football really, so this is twofold. First reason I don't play fantasy football is because I gamble like an adult, Like I mean, it's beneath you at this point. No, it's just it's people play fantasy football as a way to gamble, you know, the best way to gamble, gamble, you know. Yeah, it's like, oh, and there's nothing more frustrating. I have a friend I'm gonna say who, but I used to watch Sunday football with me all the time, and I stopped inviting him.
Speaker 5: I already he was just going crazy about his fantasy guys, and I would.
Speaker 3: Be I would have thousand dollars bets on a game, and he would have the other teams running back for one of his six fantasy and this guy would score a touchdown and he would be fist pumping, and I would I couldn't. I couldn't stand it. I just couldn't say. I don't want there to be any emotional conflicts between my Sunday viewing experience. What I need on Sunday is to be rooting for the Kansity Chiefs and my bets. I don't need to be in this tortured reality of I drafted justin Herbert and the Chiefs are playing the Chargers. So I want the Chiefs to win, but I want Herbert to No, not interesting to keep track and all right, So that's first reason I'm out on fantasy. The other reason I'm out on fantasy is it created the worst sports radio content ever. Okay, and so fantasy.
Speaker 4: Worse than what green culture?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, so much more so. Fantasy talk before the season starts can be fine in media, meaning sports radio in particular. What I'm talking about meaning, here's who you should draft first, second, third, here's guys that are sleepers, here's overvalued, undervalue that stuff, because that applies to everyone who might play fantasy football.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: The single worst type of sports radio, and you still hear it in a lot of local markets and some national outlets, is when you take a caller he's like, so, here's the deal. I'm in a half point PPR league. I've got to start two of these three? Who should I start? Clyde Edwards, Hilaire uh Ronald Jones, Oh, I guess he's on the seat. Wouldn't matter. Just gives you three guys. I'm I'm in a half point PPR six point touchdown, you get a hundred yard bonuses. I have Christian Kirk, i have Sammy Watkins, and I've got Juju Smith shoes, so i gotta start two or three. The reason that is so bad is because it is no different than calling up someone who's doing a show for thousands, hundreds of thousands, ten thousand people and saying, I have these three shirts in my closet, which should I wear? It is talking to only that person. It applies to no one else.
Speaker 4: And they would do this.
Speaker 3: They would take these calls. They do twenty minute segments, take seven callers, and I'm be like, you know who you helped seven goddamn people? Seven people you call that called you. It's maddening. So I'm out on it.
Speaker 4: So would you suggest a guy like me?
Speaker 5: Since you like say that I shouldn't do real bets, would you suggest me be a fantasy guy?
Speaker 3: Yes, but you have got to keep it to yourself when we're watching games. Yeah, that is a great now that I will say if you're not a gambler, but you want to have a little bit of action, putting a couple hundred bucks on a season long fantasy team, and then you're invested each weekend and a lot of games, right, without having to invest weekly amounts. That's the same reason that and we're gonna go along again. I'm sorry, guess that's the same reason I endorse season long win tots. So like you bet the Jaguars to win over six and a half games, you make that one bet, and then every week it feels like you have action on the Jaguars without having to bet a certain amount of money each week. So yeah, I that's fine, But I yeah, I'm not drafting in one a fantasy all right. Next we gotta go faster.
Speaker 4: All right? So number four we got Baker will win back Player of the Year Again.
Speaker 3: The better option on any of these would be fieled, but I'll go all in because is there a scenario where the Panthers win that division? That scenario exists, right. That scenario is that Baker's excellent like he was two years ago, Christian McCaffrey's healthy, and that Brady gets dinged because of that bad offensive line in Tampa. Those things are all possible. And so if that Panthers team, which is projected to be one of the worst in football, wins nine games, he might win comeback Player of the Year.
Speaker 4: It's plus one thousand to Bethis.
Speaker 3: So it's ten to one. I didn't know what the numbers were, but that's fine. Did you just make that up or you were told that?
Speaker 4: No, I just knew it.
Speaker 3: But is it accurate?
Speaker 4: Noed?
Speaker 3: Okay, good, okay, you know if you're just okay, that's ten to one is a fair number there. That's about what they are to win the division as well. Ten to one. Yeah, I'm I'm that it could go terribly there, but I don't think that's a bad bet. All right.
Speaker 4: Next Uh, the Jags will win in the AFC South.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm folding this, even though on high on the Jags only because I think the Cultus are gonna have an excellent record. I think the Cults are gonna win more than eleven or more games the Jags can't get there. If the question was the Jags will make the playoffs, I'm open to that possibility. I'm open to the possibility that with Doug Peterson, with Trevor Lawrence and you're two the Jags of the surprise team in football. I do think the Jags are gonna finish above five hundred. I think you're gonna win nine games. Will that be enough to make the playoffs? Probably not. It certainly won't be enough to win the division. So I am not. I am long on the Jags, but winning the AFC South I have to fold on that. We'll be right back. Oh we won't be right back. Yeah, let's do the bonus one.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: They told me we were doing a bonus one, and then I just I just forgot and I said, we'll be right back. It's a bad job by me, because a good job by youself.
Speaker 4: With reports that Zion is going to be ready for the start of the season, Zion will make all NBA next year.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'll take it all in, kay easy. I think the Pelicans are going to be good. I don't think people remember how bat shit insane Zion's numbers were. He put up numbers that literally Shack had done once and Kevin McHale had done once. His first So his first year in the league he barely played, and it was the year where the pandemic happened even got stopped. His second year in the league, he played sixty one out of eighty two games, so three quarters of the games. He averaged twenty seven points a game on sixty one percent from the field. In his career, he's played eighty five games. Those eighty five games, he averages twenty six points on sixty percent shooting. No one's ever done that, And so do I think Zion in bet better shape, with a better coach than he had had a lot of time with, with a better team can be awesome. I think it can be awesome. So yeah, I'll take Zion making an All NBA team. Now we'll be right back where we will find out if Demons is going to drink a beer through a hot dog straw or if he's going to break my heart. That's next, All right, welcome back. In final segment. What's right, Nick?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Fantasy?
Speaker 3: What did you just say?
Speaker 5: What is just like a little note on the Google dog It says Yankees fan is a heathen?
Speaker 4: It just made me like, okay, stop trying to distract this.
Speaker 3: Are you doing this?
Speaker 4: You mean when I'm doing it? Where's it at?
Speaker 3: I hoped you were gonna like pull it out from underneath the couch. The beer and the hot dogs would surprised me.
Speaker 4: It would be good. Kind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I'm definitely willing to try it. It's just like, I don't have the necessaries.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the answer is, no, you're not gonna do it. You don't have the necessary tools. We've been Okay, that's fine. I would like to let the audience know that in my quest to become a prominent media member, I once for Radio Blended if we had a contest who could eat a whole raw onion the fastest. So I brought a blender to the station, hit it under the desk. All you could have was the onion and water. They started the contest. Everyone's eating their onion. I'm just standing there like arms crossed. They're like, oh, Nick's not even participating. I'm like, oh, just wait. These guys are third of the way through. They're crying the gagging a bit. I pulled out the blender, plugged it in, dropped that sucker and poured a glass of water in it. Hit liquefy and drank it. Onion water, well, raw onion blended. Yeah, with a little water to help it go down. Yeah, I did that. I want you know, I wear nicotine patches. I once Live on the Air applied seven nicked full strength nicotine patches, which could have given me a heart attack, including one to an incredibly sensitive place on my body. I did it for the audience.
Speaker 5: I feel like I know, I honestly feel like you just wanted to put six nicotine patches.
Speaker 3: I did it for the audience. I I have run a race dressed as a giant hot dog in relish like that the Royals thing, and then wiped out near the finish line.
Speaker 4: I think I saw that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you were there, definite. I sang take me out to the ball game in front of a sold out Royal stadium while while dancing with Slugger the mascot. How many of these stupid things did I do to get to where I am? And you won't. It's just so disappointing. Just this week, Oh you know, I paid out one thousand, twenty five hundred dollars out of my own pocket. No more than that. Hold on, I'm thirty five hundred dollars, Is that right? God dong get thirty five hundred dollars out of my own pocket. To the six people who want our What's right contest, By the way, let's shout them out on the air, because I'm glad that worked out. And I it's apologies to the folks who it took a little longer than expected. I just I went to Rome and I forgot to do it, but I reached out to all of them yesterday and sent them all. We gave the here's the deal on that. It was supposed to be one thousand bucks to one person, the person who got one through twelve in order, and that was in a very nice little twist of irony. You know what that guy's handle is. The guy who won the What's Right fifty RAS players countdown contest had Jokic to Murray. He's a huge Nikola jokicch fan. He won the thousand bucks five hundred to him, five hundred to a charity of his choice. I didn't, but I read my first tweet about it, and it didn't make it very clear I was only paying out the first guy to get it, because I wrote, if anyone gets it, but I clearly if anyone's eligible, but the first person, because or else. Theoretically I could have you know, it's limitless, how much are you used? But only six total people got it, so it's like, you know what, everyone else they got it. I'll pay half to two fifty to them to fifty their charity. So those other people were Jose Valdez, Jay val fourteen, Landry who was a great caller to my radio show. Uh and I used to have on Mad Dog Sports Radio. Landy though on Twitter, Brooks, Anthony whose name on Twitter is THH Brooks, Anthony, Logan, Underscore, Arnold eighteen Logan Arnold, and Doug Conger. All those folks won. One of them. Let me see who it was? Was it Logan Logan? I tweeted him, Hey man, you won? Where'sh I've been mow you the money? He dm me. I appreciate it, but what are you giving away? He didn't even know he wanted the money, and.
Speaker 4: I, hey, I love that.
Speaker 3: So all those folks won their winners. This show is a winner. The only loser here is Demonse for not drinking the hot dog beer. That's it. Just wouldn't do it. All right. We will be back next week with potentially some major First Things First announcements and some major What's Right show announcements. And if you're thinking, is the announcement that Demonse is being replaced possibly after today. We'll talk to you.
Speaker 4: Guys then, I'm sorry, what for?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: Nothing for disappointing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys take care, but some stop.
Speaker 3: Trying to close out the show. I close out the show. You just sit back and wait, and then you add a little line while you're reading your text from our producers who are working against me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, No, it's just I don't I don't feel comfortable saying that.
Speaker 4: I feel like you might get mad.
Speaker 3: So what do they want you to say? What do they want you to say?
Speaker 4: Let's take care?
Speaker 3: What did they want you to say? Let's talk to you guys next week.
Speaker 4: Eat it.