Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. It is Wednesday, January seventeenth, and the Ravens are getting ready to host the Division Round playoff matchup against the Houston Texans. Today, we had a chance to hear from the coordinators. That's kick things off with Special Teams coordinator Chris Horton.
Speaker 2: Good to see everyone today. Hope you guys all doing well.
Speaker 3: So you guys out there braving that first fifteen minutes of outside and that Colt so that was that was good to see for us. You know, we're just looking forward to this opportunity. You know, we get to go up against face a good Houston Special teams unit.
Speaker 2: Those guys have been great all year. You know, it's just good.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a good challenge for us and our guys to just go out there and really just take care of our business and do what we do.
Speaker 4: Questions, Chris, how do you feel Devin Duverney has been progressing back from injury and what you've seen him from him.
Speaker 3: So far, He's been great since he's gotten back out there. Just you know, he's just fit right back into where to where he left off. You know, he came back and started to get those opportunities. We put him back there, let him, let him feel some of those punts, feel some of those kickoffs.
Speaker 2: And he looks good. He looks like he's ready to go.
Speaker 5: But is the idea that if if he is out there, that he would resume those responsibilities.
Speaker 3: Of course, I mean, you know, it's it's uh it's it's his it's his job before he got hurt. Right, It's one of those things we've had, Like I said, man, we got guys that.
Speaker 2: We could that we could throw back there.
Speaker 3: If the weather's back, you know, there's an opportunity possibly could see two guys back there, you know. Uh So, just just giving those responsibilities and given those options that we do have, you know, I think it's it's good for us to to, you know, put our put our pro our Pro Bowl player back there.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 7: I believe Texans scare scored very highly in those recent special teams Ryan gigs that people cite.
Speaker 8: What what is it especially that makes them so good?
Speaker 3: And in that face of the game, you know, Frankie's done a good job. You know, he's done a good job with the guys that he's got. They got a good they got a good core group. They got some veteran guys, some guys that have really made their mark through special teams, and then they got some young guys that have that have played well for him just throughout the entire year, you know, and then and they do it.
Speaker 2: They just do a really good job.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: They play fast, they play physical pretty much. I think what you'll see from the rest of their team right just kind of what the head coach is instilled in those guys. And that's what you're getting on special teams. But uh, you know, for us, it's just go out and just really go play our game and let's go do what we do.
Speaker 9: Chris. We've certainly asked you a lot about weather Overdeus, but usually wind and rain. I mean, you you reference to the player, what.
Speaker 6: What effect does cold have, especially on the kicking game, you know.
Speaker 3: Obviously, uh, ball flight, you know, obviously it affects the ball flight and things like that.
Speaker 2: But as far as any anything else.
Speaker 3: You know, those guys, those specialists, they go out, they take care of the fundamentals and you should be able to get, you know, what you need out of it. For us, we practice on field three, you know, and it's windy, it's cold out there all the time, so I don't think this should affect us too much.
Speaker 1: That was specially teams coordinator. We also heard from offensive coordinators Todd.
Speaker 10: Munkett, what do you what do you see from Lamar this week? Game players?
Speaker 11: In this big game?
Speaker 8: He looks loose out there?
Speaker 9: Just what do you see from that? Yeah, that's good because you locked in.
Speaker 10: You know, it's what you spend off season, you know, training camp, then you know, all the work you put in during the year put yourself in this position. That's what you do. So now it's it's a one game season. Somebody said it's not a three game season. It's a one game season. I mean, we've got to win this week.
Speaker 12: We've seen seems like the Buffalo you know, lead into the kind of quarterback run game in the playoffs when when they get there, are are there certain buttons that you are maybe more comfortable booking at now?
Speaker 8: Do you think that you wouldn't houses in the season?
Speaker 10: I don't know if i'd say from the regular season. Do I think we've improved over the course of the season, Yes, gotten more comfortable with you know, our personnel where we're at.
Speaker 9: How do you utilize them?
Speaker 10: Yes, but I don't know if anything from the regular season to now changes because we are who we are. Seeing how the Texan gotten better over the course of the season, especially with their right defense, well I just think they're getting more and more comfortable with the scheme. I mean, it's you know, they're a different team now, and we are just like every team in the NFL, for better and for worse, You're you're not going to be the same.
Speaker 9: Team you were Week one. Hopefully it's for the better.
Speaker 10: I believe we are, especially offensively, and they are, I mean, you know, defensively, new staff, offensively, new staff, everything else was offensively new no preseason, So you're going to see them doing it better, you know, just consistently doing it better, feeling more and more comfortable.
Speaker 9: You know, That's what you see.
Speaker 10: That's a lot of the same players, it's the same coaches, just the same scheme.
Speaker 9: They just seem seem to be doing it better. And they're aggressive.
Speaker 10: I mean they're they're aggressive and they're very active upfront. Their safeties are good players in the box, good tacklers. So we have a work cut out for us.
Speaker 9: How Mark Andrews kind of looked at practice for good.
Speaker 13: If he's able to play, how does that with Isia luckily, with what he's been able to do?
Speaker 2: Uh, how does that? Maybe?
Speaker 10: You know, we'll just have to see. It's kind of hard right now to say that. You know, it's day to day and it's not only that, it's not only the practice. That's the how Mark feels afterwards. You know how his body feels, you know what it tells him. And then you know, should he be able to go, how we can implement him in the game plan? You know, And that's kind of what you asked me, But I really don't have the answer right now. You know, we're excited that he's back out there practice and I can tell you that Nicole would.
Speaker 14: Win like you're going to see Saturday. How important is just mindset versus Is that the biggest part of fighting through that and dealing with it?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 10: I think mindset's a big part of it, you know, being mentally tough, anticipating that what to expect. We got out there today, which was good, tied in drain camp.
Speaker 13: He said that quarterback empowerment for the stack can bring authentive here to hear, how would you track that progress with the art. Of course, you can use your hand if you don't mean.
Speaker 9: You got the old Ricky Bobby thing working. Don't know what to do with my hands.
Speaker 10: You know, it's always a work in progress. I don't care who it is. You know, we've come a long way. I will say that, from off season to training camp, to the start of the year to trying to eliminate a lot of the drag that we had early in the year, starting with me, how I did it, and then the communication what he likes, who we have personnel wise, how we build it each week, who were playing him, being comfortable to be able to say what's on his mind. It's just not empowerment in terms of on the field. It's off the field. It's everything. It's leadership. It's being able to communicate his thoughts, likes, dislikes, how he sees it, what he heard of what I said, because it doesn't matter what I say if he didn't understand that part of what I was trying to get across, or we were it's not me, our staff, Okay, that's what we're trying to get across, and that's not any We just haven't been together a long long time. You know, so the longer you're together, the more you understand like each other and likes and dislikes.
Speaker 5: All security obviously that's a big point of emphasis every week. But you know, when you're going up against a defense like this, then that really depends heavily on their takeaways. Is it stressed anymore this time?
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 10: I wouldn't say it's stressed any more than it has been, because we know it's the number one indicator winning and losing, taking the ball away or giving the ball away, and it's it's even more important the NFL, just because that you know you're going up against really good teams every week, so it's every possession super important as we know, and giving the ballway eliminates any opportunity to score, to get points on the board.
Speaker 9: So I wouldn't say it's stressed anymore other.
Speaker 10: Than you understand that when you're playing against really good teams, which they are. The teams that are left are really good, you can't waste opportunities and give them opportunities to put points on the board and take away and take away momentum or add momentum. You saw it in some of the games this weekend when you watch it that the momentum is a powerful thing.
Speaker 6: Game.
Speaker 5: What did that game against the Texas also show you about him? And where have you seen him make his biggest improvements over the.
Speaker 10: Course of his orvices. Well, the things he did in the first game you still see today is athleticism. You see, you saw that making people miss, trying to get him in space. Where he's improved dramatically is just playing the position strong. That's that's too strong. It's really in terms of what we're asking him to do in terms of just conceptually the routes, spacing and when we move him around, which is hard for a rookie, you know, just being dialed in.
Speaker 8: That was O. S.
Speaker 1: Todd munkin next up is defensive coordinator at Mike McDonald.
Speaker 4: All right, good to see every buddy before we get going. Uh, just great to be able to practice outside. So shout out to our ground screw man to clear that field out and make it unfrozen. Was pretty impressive. It was cool to hear how they did it, but that was pretty neat. So any questions of my ears, how you.
Speaker 11: Know you sold CJ in that first game in watching him now and you know what's the biggest difference to you see in his.
Speaker 4: Game now, Well, we were really impressed in the first game too. We knew going into the game that you know, if you if you remember me talking about it back then, was we didn't feel like you were going against a rookie at that point.
Speaker 8: So I think you're just seeing the natural progression of of of over the course.
Speaker 4: Of the season, just being more comfortable with than the system. And you can tell the systems growing around him, and you know they've evolved as we have as well, you know, So I think that's what you're saying, But definitely a lot of respect for what they're doing and how he operates.
Speaker 12: I got I think it's gonna be your take, your third time going against CJ. Going back to your days at Michigan. Obviously, you know there's not a lot of there's not too much dissimilarity between like what defenses run. But do you go as far back that as far back as you know, twenty twenty one to see maybe how he kind of reacts with the stuff that you'd like to run, or was that you focused more so on this season?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'd focus more on this season.
Speaker 4: The system that he's running is pretty drastically different than what he was doing in college. And yeah, we haven't thought about that game at all.
Speaker 9: Really, mich are you.
Speaker 5: Saying and is from this offense? Are you saying anything that some of the same principles maybe especially as some of the down the bail pass and that maybe you did see in your time in college.
Speaker 4: Well, there's going to be carryover on routes because there's only so many things you can do with eleven guys.
Speaker 8: But uh, it really is different.
Speaker 4: I mean the system, how they're operating and marroring the run in the past and things like that, I'd say it, you know, and they've evolved over the course of the.
Speaker 8: Season, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean obviously he's comfortable with certain things that they're you know, emphasizing, and like any good offense is gonna do, you're gonna tail it around, you know, the people that you have, especially the quarterback.
Speaker 8: Like what's really stood out to you by the way Ronald Darby and has played this year Wow consistent. I mean, he's always right at me.
Speaker 4: His role has kind of evolved from week to week, so you know, he started out this season play I mean, he's just played great football for us. So that's probably the best compliment I can give you. But he's always ready to go, even if he's not in the starting lineup, So whatever his role is, and he's been right there, ready to rock.
Speaker 8: But we expect from everybody and.
Speaker 9: Patrick Riccard, you have.
Speaker 13: A player who can kind of blurred line between a tight end and a full back the technics kind of and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And you guys have.
Speaker 13: Played the forty nine Ers and Dolphins recently, they also do that kind of challenges is that put on you? You have the personnel in the field and then how they can line up in any formation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all those teams do a great job of manipulating their personnel. It just like you don't know who's going to be in the you know, traditional spots so to speak. But you know, it does test rules a little bit in some of the coverages you want to play without getting the kind of into the weeds about it, but yeah, you just just you have to understand where they're lining up and what they do from those different spots. A lot of times it's really just to put the guy that they want to get the ball in a certain position a certain matchup too, So it's more like a chess piece more on the.
Speaker 13: Players before this and app to kind of like make checks.
Speaker 4: I mean, call the call based on where they're at. Yeah, but it's not any different than any other offense.
Speaker 8: You know, you're just.
Speaker 4: Gonna you know, there's you can't be doing all sorts of things where you're playing matchup ball all the time because they just you know, they could end up anywhere on the field. Mike, the Texans lost the big pieks and can't bill over a little over a month ago.
Speaker 13: But the offense has still been common and putting up for how they've been able.
Speaker 8: To with fan that ball.
Speaker 4: Uh well, I mean a testament to who they have and how they're operating and tailing her to the guys that are available. I mean, they have not been a you know not they haven't had everybody available over the last I don't know, ten weeks. You know, every every game it seems like they're missing at least one piece. That's kind of part of the you know, evolution or part of their system. So and they happen to your point, they really haven't had a drop off. So just like our defense, if guys go down, man, it's like, I mean, there's storylines behind it and all that. But like the guys in the room, like it's we're ready to go. The next guy's he's preparing just like everybody else. So they're ready to step up and just you know, speaks with what they got gone going on over there, Like just.
Speaker 14: Like for you getting ready for your first playoff game? Is it the second playoff games? A coordinator when you know that you're the one seed, all the expectation of possibility of what this group could come together, what is it?
Speaker 9: Does it feel like?
Speaker 4: I feel it's it feels like another game. You know, you guys that know how.
Speaker 8: We operate here.
Speaker 4: We want to emphasize play to play, you know, down to down, drill the drill day to day. I mean, that's that's really our focus right now. Today is a football Thursday. So I'm talking to you folks. You know, I don't know how to do a football Thursday. When I go back up to my office and we'll and we'll operate accordingly and kick that thing off on Saturday.
Speaker 11: Like Jadevian got to that, you know, nine and a half sachomore a couple of weeks ago. Curious what you know if you look at him the totality of the SEASONR do you think he's performed so well for you guys?
Speaker 8: We have been great to get him to ten, So that was a bit.
Speaker 4: But uh, you know, it's an interesting question because I only know JD from our experience in this year, so I can't speak to how he's operating in the past things like that. Talk to like, you know, Wee's relationship with him, you know, over the course of the years.
Speaker 8: So obviously that's a plus. Uh.
Speaker 4: But the guy that I see is a guy that loves playing football, he loves being around his teammates. He's a gregarious guy, got a lot of thoughts on a lot of things, which is cool to hear, and he plays the game the right way. So those are the type of guys we love having here. And I think you know, you find not just at that position, but you know, all across the team. Those those guys played great football for us when when we're able to find him.
Speaker 6: You know, obviously, you guys.
Speaker 8: Finish number one in the league in takeaways.
Speaker 12: Is there ever, does there ever become a point of concern where you feel like a defense might be coming to rely on takeaways on turnovers to get stops or is the mentality of this group you feel like, you know, impervious to that kind of thinking.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we're not relying on takeaways.
Speaker 4: I mean that we're trying to create takeaways at all times, but that's that's how you attack the football and how you play through your rules and then plays will be made that way.
Speaker 8: But we're not.
Speaker 4: We're not just chasing takeaways, you know, at the expense of you know, giving up yards or points. Is there an emphasis this sweep on even louder communication given how loud it will probably be on Saturday for a home playoff game.
Speaker 12: And the defense is that loud communication is even harder.
Speaker 8: For that is the loud was the bank we can make the better for us.
Speaker 4: So we'd love to have our communication challenges on Saturday night for sure.
Speaker 12: Like on a lighter note, I know you're focused on the game this week, but have you been made aware of Raven's Twitter fans' efforts to kind of keep you here in Baltimore.
Speaker 8: My wife sent me a couple a couple of good ones.
Speaker 4: There's some good ones out there, not many, but yeah.
Speaker 1: That was offensive coordinator Mike McDonald today. We also heard from tight end Mark andrews Now. This was the first time that Mark has talked since he went down with that foot ankle injury back in November in a game against the Bengals. Mark has been working really hard behind the scenes to get himself back to this point. He talked with the media about some of the work that he's been putting in to try to get back on the field. It's also worth noting that Mark was a full participant in practice on Wednesday. Here's what Mark had to say.
Speaker 7: You're clicking on all cylinders. You're just carrying that into the playoffs. We got a lot of playmakers that are playing really good ball right now, and and.
Speaker 6: In coaching staff that supports them. And that's what it's about.
Speaker 7: It's about it's a team game, team effort, and and that's what We've got a great team.
Speaker 6: Along those lines.
Speaker 14: I mean, the day that you've got hurt of Isaiah likely has said to us that I haven't you know, I'm I'm ready for this, and you know I'm gonna do it an honor of him, but I'm.
Speaker 6: Ready to to step in. Well, how proud have you been him? Well, he sure was, you know, ain't sure it is?
Speaker 7: You know you see it, you know, game by game him getting better and better and making big time plays and that's a credit to how hard he's worked. And uh, it's been awesome to see him do that, and I'm we're thankful to have him.
Speaker 5: How how was the communication between you and Isaiah doing the course of this season, more than we're constantly talking to him, especially maybe things you saw in.
Speaker 9: And out of the game.
Speaker 7: Well, he's got a natural feel for the game, you know, by himself, but just being there supporting him, being a good teammate, that's all I can do and and let him shine do his thing, and you know, it's been awesome to see. Obviously everybody in the tight end room supports you know, everybody and coach Gossie does a good job of coaching him up.
Speaker 6: But he's just the ballplayer.
Speaker 13: Mark.
Speaker 12: Can you tell us what this rehab has been like for you?
Speaker 11: And when the jury first happened, did you think right away I'm gonna I'm gonna be back, like what went through your mind?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I was telling Jeff a second ago that, uh, you know, there was a there was a clear cut plan, you know, in process, and I'm very thankful for the people that are around here from mister Bashati making my life either easier through the travel and everything else. And coach Harball, the training staff in the weight room Scott Elliott, Adrian Dixon, and training staff Mike Thomas. These guys had a plan together for me, and like I said, all I had to do was coming here and every day and work and and get better and better. So yeah, it's gotten it's gotten a lot better week by week, and we've made all our progress, not.
Speaker 8: Just like practicing, but how you're feeling happy?
Speaker 7: So how have you been feeling this week and feeling that it's been good. You know, there's a lot of different things I'm doing to to get better. I know, uh, the torrell owens. You know you kind of the same injury, and you know, the hyperbaric auction, auction chamber, all that good stuff. And I'm doing everything I can to get back get ready. And you know, after I work hard, like a day like this is it's recovery, gets.
Speaker 6: Swelling down and feel good for the next day, which I usually do.
Speaker 8: What's gonna come down a Saturday's decision?
Speaker 9: What is going to kind of be an exciting factor?
Speaker 7: I think, you know, it's it's how I feel, you know, at the end of the day. But you know, just knowing how good this team is, how good our players are, how good our tight ends are. You know, if I feel like I'm gonna be you know, helpful with the team, I'm gonna go if I'm you know, I feel like I'm I'm close, but not there.
Speaker 6: Let these guys go and hopefully get that next weekend.
Speaker 7: What's the hardest thing to get back with an injury like this isn't explosiveness.
Speaker 9: Is a range of motion?
Speaker 6: I mean, what what is it?
Speaker 7: There's a lot of different factors, and I think each day there's a there's a new challenge to be attacked, you know. But I'm starting to feel really good and being able to get after it, to get it in out of routes, feeling better natural with all that stuff.
Speaker 6: Did you no? I did? Pardon me?
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 7: It's been a test, that's that's for sure. And this is the first time I've ever been through anything like this. You know, it's tough, but you you you get around this team and you get around the guys, and every everybody in this building has been extremely supportive. And I can't tell you how much that means to me, how much it matters, and just want to makes me want to come in here work every day, come back to this team and help this team win a super Bowl. That's what matters.
Speaker 12: The first couple of weeks they were saying, we're gonna do this for morek, We're playing for Hark.
Speaker 1: What impression did that.
Speaker 6: Leave on you? You know?
Speaker 7: I just you know, just the fact that how much they care, you know, and just being out here for practices and seeing the energy and guys coming up to you NonStop. It's a it's a loving group. It's a group that cares. It's a group that plays for one another. And that's what's special about this team is to bond the chemistry and the type of players.
Speaker 6: That we have there.
Speaker 12: It's a lot of controversy over the kind of tackle that led to your je Did.
Speaker 6: You ever talk to Wilson and do you have any thoughts on one of the tackles should be outlawing at all the game?
Speaker 7: I don't really have any you know, thoughts, you know, on that. It's a it was kind of just an unfortunate event.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: It's I'm gonna let you know, everybody else do their thing if they want to ban the tackle find but I'm gonna go out there play hard no matter what.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't blame the guy. He's just playing ball.
Speaker 9: Mark.
Speaker 13: You mentioned it being a test and you also mentioned the support here.
Speaker 11: But what were some things that you did to get yourself through the rehabit and in that time?
Speaker 6: Well play?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think uh, I think you know.
Speaker 7: The big thing is just coming in here every day and work and you're gonna be able to push yourself but not push yourself too hard. And it's hearing that line of of getting better but not hurting yourself is something I've done. I talked about the hyperbaric aucyen chamber. I think that's been big for me, you know, help speed up that process and and everything in the training room. These guys have had an incredible plan and process in place and since day one, and we followed that and it's been really good.
Speaker 12: Tamer in your house, where do you bought one?
Speaker 6: Or how's that work?
Speaker 7: Yeah, my girlfriend's family has had it, so he put it bringing into the house and started using it.
Speaker 1: That was tight end. Mark andrews now he is currently not on the fifty three man roster. So if the Ravens were going to activate him by Saturday, they would need to make a roster move to move him back to the fifty three. We'll keep you posting on that. Also, make sure you head over to the Lounge podcast feed for an interview with linebacker Patrick Queen. Thanks for listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Make sure you leave a rating and a review, and we'll be back with you tomorrow