Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rutfresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the Whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts, Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: Welcome to rutfresh Radio. I'm your host, Casey Smith. November is coming to a close, but does that mean the rut is over? No way, There's still plenty of ways to capitalize on cold fronts and buck movement this time of year.
Speaker 3: This is rutfresh. Let's go.
Speaker 4: What's happening all my woods people. My name is Tyler Jones. I'm your host, one of your hosts, and Casey Smith is here. This is rutfresh Radio is brought to you by first Light Gear. Today we're back on the Nebraska Furniture Mark.
Speaker 3: Hey how about that?
Speaker 2: And by the way, uh speaking first like year, it is Black Friday Week. I don't know if y'all know that, but the capitalist society we live in has.
Speaker 3: Pushed this single day into like a lot of day.
Speaker 4: Be careful with how you say that, because my wife just walked in and if you say Black Friday week.
Speaker 3: That means you're a week from Black Friday.
Speaker 2: She thinks that it'll be Black Friday in a week, you knows.
Speaker 3: Monday week or whatever. Oh yeah, it's been Monday week. You know, I actually understand that. But I understand it.
Speaker 2: I just like being difficult because I got in me as as does your wife.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Como, oh, como. Yeah, that's where it comes from. She got that bird creek. But this is rough Fresh Radio. We ain't gonna talk about too much that stuff, but go check out the meat eater website, first lat website, all that stuff for some great Black Friday deals. Follow us on social she can see some more detail about that stuff. You know, we're going to try to do this week is be real funny and not talk about sales too much and hopefully that y'all like that.
Speaker 4: But hey, you know, here's the thing. Black Friday is a good chance to get things you need. That's guarantee you. I mean, this is me telling you what I got. We're sitting in a house that we bought a I built this house a couple of years ago, and we bought our appliances on Black Friday and had and just left them in storage for months. We didn't move until May or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: So that was my wife. She's also very smart, even though she says Monday Week and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: She that was her idea.
Speaker 4: But my point is, if you think you can dish out a little money and you may not use this stuff until next year, it's still going to be good gear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's or worth.
Speaker 2: You know, some of your most expensive pieces are gonna be the late season pieces because they have the most material and you can buy them right now, still use them in late season, and they're gonna be a lot more, lot less expensive.
Speaker 3: Yeah that way, So go check out all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm all about discounts, man, I guarante gum to you. I can't be I mean, that's if inflation is too bad these days.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been heck, got my eye on a few pupews and I'm waiting until this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna pull the trigger. No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's you know, FBI's listening right now, so I can't say too much. But uh, anyways, we're gonna talk about some whitetail.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: There is a cold front sweeping the nation, sweeping, maybe not the nation. You know, col fronts are weird. I really don't understand how it works for the Northeast. Thankfully, we do. Got a report from Pennsylvania this week on here. I don't cold fronts. I don't know how they hit all that stuff. So if you've got some information on that, let us know.
Speaker 4: However, generally, for what the plains the Midwest Texas, we get a lot of rocky.
Speaker 3: Mountain cold fronts. Ie, those are the best.
Speaker 4: How far they carry that? And do they stop at the Mississippi or surely not?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I mean, it just depends on the strength of it, I guess.
Speaker 4: And what's going on in the Gulf, which we could talk about this with as much expertise as the actual weather van.
Speaker 3: Still you know, have no better clue what's going on.
Speaker 2: There's a that will help a lot of the hunting, because you know, we had that huge coal front moved through for like Halloween, and I can't capitalized on that.
Speaker 3: They dude, I've been working on that video today. That's pretty sick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna come out seeing I'm trying to get out before Thanksgiving before yeah, oh hot dog. Plan is to have it out when this podcast releases.
Speaker 3: Hot Dog.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we're gonna link to the Element channel below you can go watch me kill my biggest South Dakota buck by far, like one of my biggest bucks. I killed from the ground.
Speaker 3: He's a toad.
Speaker 2: They just doing I don't even know if you'd call it spot in stalk. I mean it was just like spot and run. But anyways, it's cool. You all enjoy the video, I think. But since then, the weather's not being very conducive to white tails. It's been pretty tough. The rut has I don't think it's as slow as it was last year. As far as like perceived movement. We've had some really good reports, especially last week. I think a lot of big deer went down around the country in the seven to fourteen dates of the month. But it's still been pretty warm. It's not been like just on fire, just cold days. And we're a about to get that this week of Thanksgiving. So if you got a little time off or you get a little room around the holiday stuff, it's a good time to go get in the woods. And uh, we always like to be pretty encouraging, like it's it's not a lot of fun to be a Debbie Downer to be down the dumps too much, right, Tyler.
Speaker 4: No, been there, Yeah, but I'm fixing to be because I'm gonna be doing all these Thanksgivings, like sitting there looking at my trail cameras on my whole tra app just being like, Oh, we also have.
Speaker 2: A report from Oklahoma this week, which isn't a very good report because it was tough.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a good report. It's a good report.
Speaker 2: The the how would you say that action in Oklahoma was pretty bad over the past week because it was like.
Speaker 3: Got to eighty one day. It was it was rough.
Speaker 2: Anyways, You're about to be in Oklahoma during a cold front, yeah, doing Thanksgiving and there's gonna be big Bucks splashing through all the rivers.
Speaker 4: Don't you think for a second, I'm not taking my boat hey, because no, Jut just don't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't think about it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think my wife's gonna let it like be ahunting thing. But if if you just happened to see one spontaneously, if.
Speaker 2: She's like driving my life, she won't know the morning hunt happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, she's a lot like your life in that matter for sure. So you can get the journey. Is gonna be awake. She's tiny. You can carry her in a backpack. Well, my mom will watch her. Good morning person. There you go, thanks, dip. Yeah you're I mean she actually is not tiny anymore. Yeah, I've realized. Oh she's tall. She's like eighty pounds. Oh she weighs that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, dick, She's gonna be solid. My anniversary is is a great day, my wedding anniversary. However, it is November nineteenth, which meant my honeymoon was a really good hunting week.
Speaker 3: And it was cold the day you got married. It was called a cold front hit. I was freezing my tail off out there, dude.
Speaker 2: And so like we went to Southeast Oklahoma on her honeymoon and you know, just Rednick cheap, just poor kid honeymoon and I'm fishing in the river. It's like probably the twenty first and then just this gnarly nine point just goes splashing right through the trout stream.
Speaker 3: Just bamby, just chasing baby's dad trying to find a dough and I was like freaking out.
Speaker 2: But uh yeah, So all that to say is to say that we still have some really good dates ahead of us. You know, maybe if you're in Note Act or something like that, you're thinking about kind of more some different patterns.
Speaker 3: I don't know, though, man, like I don't either.
Speaker 2: We got a report from Montana this week and it sounds like it's rocking and rolling.
Speaker 3: So I think that.
Speaker 2: The thing holds true that Iowa is really specific with RUT and then everything outside of that, Man, it gets a little bit softer on like when the hard dates.
Speaker 3: Are you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Here's my thing though, Is it Iowa is that way? Or is it Iowa based hunting media is that way? I think it could be that because this thing called fomo where you try you know, like you don't.
Speaker 3: It's it's the way you.
Speaker 4: Would make like if you weren't doing Black Friday week, you would do, hey, one day Black Friday, sell, don't miss it, right, fear of missing out that you're going to miss the one day seal. So that's why I guess we're doing the long sales you don't miss it. But my point is people like to do that kind of thing, like, hey, don't miss it, now, go get in the woods, you know. And I kind of wonder if it's not that way. Also, you have some theories but about this. But quickly, I have a question for you. Is the rut shifting or used to your coincidence here?
Speaker 2: If you were to hear I think that we don't understand the rut first of all, But if you would to just without looking at science and just go observed rut? Right, which, what is there in this world except what we what we can observe? Okay, you would listen to ret Fresh radio and say the second and third week in November of the best dates. That's what you would hear from people, even though we all know from like you know, Bill Winkie kills a lot of big Dear Marjorie kills a lot of big deer that the fifth eighth is like the time right for peak chasing. So what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Are we missing out on? Like?
Speaker 2: Do we do not understand that when we perceive rut movement, it's actually the second push of movement. In the first push movement, the deer find their hot dose so fast that you don't see it happen.
Speaker 3: I kind of wonder if that's a thing.
Speaker 4: I also wonder there's a bunch of big buck killers that like October better than they like November. It's because they usually have a property that a big buck exists on in October and then they can hunt him on patterns. And I wonder if these guys like that, like the rut, like it because it gets deer moving, But it is also those earlier dates also are before a the fighting breaks the antlers and be all the guys get a chance at him for two or three weeks, right, So like the deer is still alive on November fifth.
Speaker 2: Well, here's another take on that is that a lot of hunting media perpetuates ideas based on large managed properties. And if you have a good buck to doe ratio on a large managed properties, those dates probably hold really true.
Speaker 3: But you know where there's not a good buck to dough ratio most public lan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what's going on public land. It's the bump and bump and even bump and dump, you know, like it's just those deer are getting messed with all the time.
Speaker 3: There's dudes chasing them.
Speaker 2: It's going wild, right, So like he might have been trying to breed that though, but then you just split them up and they all ran different directions. That do mister cycle because of that, you know, and she comes in later whatever. So like there's a whole aspect of like why it might look different in other parts of the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Lots of dynamics, lots of variables. It's pretty fun to think about.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that we haven't figured it out so we can continue thinking and talking about it.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: We got some dynamic characters on the podcast today, don't we tie?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do, We've got This was kind of cool. Derek Wolf, who is an ex teammate of one of my ex teammates, Emmanuel Sanders Uh. He's he was out in Pennsylvania recently. We he talked to him. You might have seen him on the Meat Eater podcast fairly recently. He was on there, I guess a couple of months ago.
Speaker 3: Whenever.
Speaker 4: That was Dylan Dowson from on X, a guy we've known for years now. Really appreciate Dylan. He's been a believer in the Element for a long time and was one of the He was the first guy that they were in the industry that ever said Hey, I want to partner with you guys and be a part of what y'all are doing, man, So I really have had a lot of respect for him for a while. Our good buddy Eric Gentry, who spends a lot of time in trees with us, he does, and he spent some time actually with a tag in his pocket, bow in his hand on the ground hunting out in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: One thing I noticed, and I don't know if this is an erics report or not, but he said.
Speaker 3: Across no way. Yeah, because I heard him say a cross twice yesterday for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it was, but he did not use the team. Listen, y'all. If y'all's if y'all say crossed, do you say crossbow? Is that how you say this word?
Speaker 2: I actually want to start using that crossbow cross bow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's I think that's what they do, MANU. Otherwise you're not making sense.
Speaker 3: And he's the last.
Speaker 4: Byron Horton from Ohio, just a good time, very knowledgeable hunter man. He's he's got some pretty high level thoughts about what the deer doing up in Ohio, which is uh, debatably the Midwest, debatably, the East, debatably the North.
Speaker 2: I feel like I just if I want to call Ohio something it's the Iron Belt?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is that true? Though? Is it actually the Iron Belt? Yeah? Okay, I mean I think Cleveland is like the heart. Okay, yeah that makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always thought Iron Belt too, but I was like then, I was thinking, is that Pennsylvania though?
Speaker 3: Or I guess it's all that. It depends on what I feel like.
Speaker 2: Ohio changes a lot depending what town you're in, because there's two or three big towns. Right, there's Cleveland, Columbus, Columbus, Akron. Yeah, that was like a single terminal, it was.
Speaker 3: It was a little tiny airport. But Cincinnati is in Ohio, right, I believe so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's Indiana, but it's not.
Speaker 3: It's Indiana. I've never been to Cincinnati. Michael's mad at us right now. That's a man. He's always mad. He is made Mike.
Speaker 2: But anyways, there's gonna be some good reviews for US today or not reviews, some good reports for US today, and uh, just.
Speaker 3: To leave y'all before we get into these with some encouragement. It ain't over. There's big bucks going hit the ground this week. Get out there all right.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: I've got Derek Wolf, he's an ex NFL player, and now he's on the phone with us talking hunting because that's kind of what you live and breathe. Actually, you're pretty involved in a lot of things, aren't you right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Do it, but I mean mostly hunting and podcasting, and yeah, I do a lot of working out and training and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But you know, being a dad and husband much what I do.
Speaker 3: Hey, you work out with the Manual quite a bit, don't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I work out with a lot, you know.
Speaker 4: I played college ball with him at s m U. Yeah yeah, he he uh he and I got to go against each other every day for about four years.
Speaker 3: I was a safety. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I noticed that you saw y'all on Instagram kind of you know, doing some working out together and that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But pretty cool tie there.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Small small world, man, Yeah, No.
Speaker 3: Isn't it man? It is.
Speaker 4: It's a it's smaller than you think sometimes. But you've been out in Pennsylvania doing some deer hunting and uh was what was that like?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Were you hunting like hills or are you hunting more flat land country?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, big big hills Appalachia. Yeah it was.
Speaker 7: So it's like three hours east of Pittsburgh is where I was at. So it was like super super steep hills, rolling hills, deep valleys, big hollows.
Speaker 5: So I was hunting a lot. What I was doing is I was hunting a lot of like pinch points and.
Speaker 7: Transition zones and hunting those like those bowls that they like to you know, trying to find where these doughs are betting and trying to get down winding from them. The hard part was the wind switches every three minutes there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, it was it.
Speaker 7: Was hard to it was hard to kind of dial in one good spot. But the first morning was was really really good. It was we you know, we get we get I hun from a tree saddle, so we get set up. It takes about tennis set up, and then you know, thirty minutes later, first light you know.
Speaker 5: Pokes out.
Speaker 7: I hears something kind of rustling up to my right and the dough comes down through and I was like, I was just a dough and she was just kind of you know, feeding. There's a big acorn patch there, so she was just feeding along there, and uh then a smaller buck came up and like a little basket six point you know then she didn't really pay attention to it, and the next thing, you know, all hell breaks loose and h out in those in those valleys. It's just like you can hear them forever, and you know, when they're busting through the woods, and she takes off busting through there, and this bigger buck comes down through there, big like nice, like a big like a probably one hundred and thirty inch eight point comes busting down chasing her, and I was like, oh, I'm like, you could hear them all the way for like a mile. You could hear them all the way around that bowl. They went all the way around that bowl and then over the ridge and then you couldn't hear them anymore. But then after that happened, there was like four different bucks that came through there.
Speaker 4: So just a hot dough brought kind of made the whole area turn on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just the hot dough turned it all on.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 7: Like even like two hours later, another buck had come down from a come up from another spot. But I saw I was like, man, this is a good spot, and she's obviously hanging out. I think she was bedded up there and got bumped by that little buck. And then I think the bigger ones just kind of all kind of came into there.
Speaker 3: So, well, things are going crazy like that.
Speaker 2: Would you think you'd be better off like stationary in a tree waiting on the mess to come by, or does it make sense to kind of move and try to head to your off like that?
Speaker 5: So that's what we did. We we got down and we went we moved up. We moved up to.
Speaker 7: Where we had seen them kind of moving down there because we were on like a saddle too. It's a saddle right there, so you got a there's movement coming from all directions. So we uh, we moved up there about probably like one hundred yards up the hill and got like right on right on the saddle, and we we had we had another couple of Bucks that had come.
Speaker 5: It was the it was the right move because we did.
Speaker 7: We we ended up grunting and rattling at Bucks and they would come up and check it out.
Speaker 3: Was your was your wind more consistent on top of that saddle?
Speaker 5: No, it was, it was.
Speaker 7: It was worse actually up there, because that's why we didn't end up getting being able to kill one. We had it not I mean some really nice bucks and like one thirty one forty bucks that uh, and in the mountains up there, that's a big buck, you know. So we had some good bucks that were like in killable position and we just needed the wind to stay.
Speaker 5: Right and we would have got you know, he would have come in there and checked it out. But you know, when you get them to like forty.
Speaker 7: Yards fifty yards, uh, and it's it's thick brushing there. So you know it's you're not you're not threading the.
Speaker 5: Needle for that stuff.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yeah, so if.
Speaker 7: You're on the ground maybe, but being up in a tree, you know, fifteen twenty feet.
Speaker 5: It's it's a little bit different, more difficulty.
Speaker 2: As we push here into the the Thanksgiving timmy year, you know, like things start to change a little bit in the woods all the all the leaves are down and stuff. What do you think the deer are going to be doing in this next week or so?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 7: I think that I think they're either gonna so in my experiences, I think that they're gonna go into lockdown.
Speaker 5: Like I think they're just locking down on our does.
Speaker 7: Like they've they've got their dough and they're gonna lock her down for a couple of days.
Speaker 5: And breeder.
Speaker 7: And then I think on Thanksgiving Day or the day after, they are gonna go nuts looking for more does. Like it's gonna be that It's gonna be that like that prime looking for does. Like they're gonna be out walking in the middle of the day, you know, showing their face in the daylight. And that's I think that's I think we're just a couple of days away from that sure, because they weren't really.
Speaker 5: Responding to rattles, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And normally when a buck is like heavy, when they're when they're heavy, like even when they're on lockdown and you start rattling, they'll get up and go, you know, looking around to make sure there's no bucks around, you know, to just chase them off. But these bucks weren't even really responding to the rattle yet, so they were just I think they were still in that like looking for a hot dough mode, you know, just you know, still like playing. They're playing, keeping their wind right, not really making any big mistakes, because that was the thing. We couldn't get a buck to make a mistake, you know, he was still going to get his wind right right. But I think I think that this week is the week to do it. I think if you're gonna go hunt these bucks and do like all days, since this is the time.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir man, that's what I'm talking about. That's uh, I feel the same way. We've talked to a lot of people from across the country and uh, myself, I've been in three states last week, and it seems like that with kind of like the hot weather the first couple of weeks in November, it's been it's been just kind of like just real even Keel and I feel like you get a little weather here pretty soon around this Thanksgiving holiday and things are gonna really bustle you. So with that in mind, in the next week, if you had to guess, you know, a number one to ten for buck movement in Pennsylvania, what would you think it's gonna be?
Speaker 7: Oh man, I'm probably I'm saying like a seven or an eight that gonna be.
Speaker 5: I think it's gonna I think, I really do.
Speaker 7: And I think because what happens is they got this that little rifle season that kicks off, so they get a little bit spooky. But once that's over, you know, they get like a two three day period to settle down, they're gonna be They're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be on it.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be good.
Speaker 7: I So catch an acorn patch, sit on a saddle, find it, find a dope, like just do you do your research and look at an area where you think those might be bad and get down win from that, and you'll catch them. You'll catch some bucks looking for for their next dough because I think they've bred.
Speaker 5: I think they've bred their first dough now and now it's there, they're gonna be ready, yeah, for another They're gonna be ready like they're gonna be looking for it. That's right, man, where you're gonna cut him screwing up? You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that's what that's what we need a lot of times. Man, we're not good enough to get them when they're on their game. We got to get them when they're off the game sometimes. But man, thank you for the report, Derek. I hope you have more success this year.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: It looks like you've already done that a little bit. And uh, I'm real happy for you, man. I hope that it keeps going well for you. Thanks for hopping on the phone with us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me guys.
Speaker 4: Right now, I've got Dylan Dawson from on X. He's just straight up a killer man. I mean he will shoot at elk side unseen antlers and it'll end up being at three fifty you know what I mean, So they're bigger.
Speaker 3: What's going on, dude?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, thanks thanks for having me on.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the elk sight unseen this year being a three fifty is that was a good kickoff to the year. So sometimes you just got to take those when when they're handed.
Speaker 4: To Yeah, so you've been out in Montana hunting some deer and you ended up with one of the mule deer types, right.
Speaker 9: Yep, I shot one of the meal deer types this year, so Montana. You know, for anybody listening who's not familiar, you basically get an a tag that allows you to hunt white tail or meal deer. So depending on what the state you're in. Honestly, pretty much most of the state that I've hunted, man.
Speaker 8: It's like.
Speaker 9: Fifty to fifty some areas, you know, seventy thirty and vice versa.
Speaker 8: But there's pretty much white tail and meal deer what seems like everywhere.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: I'm from eastern Montana.
Speaker 9: I currently live in western Montana and so I travel you know, pretty much from Idaho to North Dakota every year, whether I'm hunting elk, deer or whatever. So it's, uh, it is pretty cool because you're not really stuck to one species or the other.
Speaker 8: Sure, and some years, like you know.
Speaker 9: Whitetail are doing better their populations and some of your meal deer are doing better.
Speaker 8: And it seems like I'm kind of fifty to fifty.
Speaker 9: Ever since I've been twelve and able to hunt here in Montana, seems like I probably shot I've probably shot a few more meal deer than white tail.
Speaker 8: But it's pretty pretty down the middle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So as far as that herd goes this year, does it Does it look good out there? Or are you seeing a bunch of deer moving around right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: This past week I've been hunting pretty hard. I've got one more week to go. A lot of tags are filled. Actually we build two tags. Yesterday my wife shot a really nice buck. I was with my cousin when he shot a really really heavy white tail, just a really old old white tail, really big basis just having gnarly, gnarly buck.
Speaker 8: But yeah, man, it's it's been good I've seen a lot of deer chasing.
Speaker 9: Both meal deer and white tail, but particularly this past week. Like white tail, I've seen a lot of bucks like singling out does and literally running them for like a mile.
Speaker 8: We we came over the hill.
Speaker 9: We were driving to a new spot a few days ago, and came over the hill and I was like, oh, man, there's a deer, you know, scooting across the field. And at first I kind of thought she was running from us, and I threw up the binos, and twenty yards behind her was a pretty nice buck, like, you know, mid one thirties, not a shooter, but just a respectable deer that you want to look at. And I mean quickly I realized they were not running from us, that that buck had that dough on full tilt across the stubble field and they got to the end of it.
Speaker 8: He caught up to her and turned her.
Speaker 9: The other way, you know, one of those deals where they're acting like a quarter horse is like figuring out which way they're going to go. And then he ran her basically half a mile half a section back the other way. So I've seen a lot of bucks chasing, like single dose and like a little pocketed doze three or four doors over there, but he's interested in obviously that one that's hot, and I think there's some.
Speaker 8: Hot dos right now.
Speaker 2: So you're doing a lot of gun hunting out there, and right now it is you know, gun seasons are opening up or are open across the country. If you're trying to capitalize on that kind of buck movement where they're pushing dose and and running like crazy, what's your setup going to be?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 9: So a lot of times what I prefer is to get up high if the country allows, and sit and kind of just let things happen.
Speaker 8: So four or five days ago, my dad and I hiked.
Speaker 9: Up to this high point and it's all kind of egg land where we were, So there's a lot of white tail country.
Speaker 8: There's koolies, so it's white tail and melier country.
Speaker 9: Again, it's kind of one of those spots fifty to fifty you don't know what species you're going to run into, and uh, it's just really good habitat for both. But we hiked up to this this knob and really this knob is only probably you know, fifty vertical feet above anything else around us, right, but it gives us at least an opportunity to glass three sixty and kind of just let the deer move to us. Sitting on that now, we had a mature meldier and a mature white tail buck that were just straight cruising.
Speaker 8: They weren't chasing does they weren't with those. I spotted both those.
Speaker 9: Deer from man shoot almost mild to maybe the meal there was probably a mile and a half away, and both of them ran. They didn't trot, they weren't walking crews, and they ran from where I spotted them to within seventy.
Speaker 8: Five yards of us.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 9: It's actually pretty funny because both of them, this was like an hour and a half apart from each other, and they took almost the exact same path by us. And they're just crazy looking for those So I really like to get up high and sit because had we have been walking around and you know, moving a little bit more, those deer would have ran within fifty to seventy five yards of us. But we were able to let them do their thing instead up high watching them for a long ways coming.
Speaker 8: We knew, we knew they were both really mature deer.
Speaker 9: But I was able to watch me the spotting scope run from that far away to again under one hundred yards seventy five yards and know that, you know, we weren't going to shoot either one of those bucks. But you know, if you're walking koolies and whatever, it's just it's it's doable. It's you know, you might shoot a really nice deer like that, but you're also trying to judge them as their you know, their tails down and running in the bottom.
Speaker 8: Of the coolie at that point.
Speaker 9: So sure, I like to get up high and use the glass, and especially this time of year when they're moving around searching for dose.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, and you're a killer man, So this is this is good information, man. And you know, Casey and I have probably known you since twenty seventeen or so. Man, we appreciate friendship and everything like that, and and just the supportive on X over the years. Man, We really has meant a lot to us. Thanks for hopping on the phone with us. Before you go, though, we got to have a We've got to have a rating here. So on a scale of one to ten, what does the buck movement look like in the next week in your opinion.
Speaker 9: Yeah, based on what I've seen this past week, and even just like yesterday, it seems like it's only gotten better. We here in Montana, we had a cold snap like probably three to four weeks ago where it got really really cold, like zero or below, had.
Speaker 8: Quite a bit of snow.
Speaker 9: It's warmer now, so I was kind of nervous that it was gonna kind of shut off the rut. But man, the last couple days what I've seen, that is not the case. I would say out of one to ten, seven point.
Speaker 4: Eight, very specific, that's like my great average man.
Speaker 3: Actually college. Probably I was a little bit smarter in high school.
Speaker 2: We appreciate the info, man, the and the good rating. It gives us a lot of optimism. Thanks dude.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I appreciate you guys. Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is Byron Horton with white Tail Experience, and he has been chasing him all over in Ohio.
Speaker 10: What's up, dude, Dude, I just got through my big push and uh we're we're regrouping today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good man.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you're able to kind of woo saw and bring it all back in. That's it's a necessary thing sometimes after a big rut push. Do you feel tired do you feel like that you achieved something? Do you feel like you went and did the thing, or do you still feel like there's things that are undone.
Speaker 10: So I feel like I saw the whole rut. I saw casing, the cruising, the close encounters, missed my shot opportunity. I saw it all. So I'm at peace with it. But I'm not gonna lie. Man, I really want to kill something.
Speaker 3: I think you will. I know you did.
Speaker 5: You're a killer.
Speaker 2: So this past week, you know, you said you spent a lot of time out there.
Speaker 3: What was kind of the major emphasis?
Speaker 2: You know, that's kind of like, I guess what most people consider like the second ish week of the rut, you know, and things are kind of changing.
Speaker 3: What were the deer doing?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I actually think Ohio is a touch behind. I'll call it the core Midwest. Like I feel like last week's our peak. Traditionally, I have always taken we'll call it, like the seventh through the fifteenth as better than the first through the seventh. Just as far as seeing do your seeing Bucks personal encounters, generally the weather is a little better for the most part. But yeah, I literally last week saw it all. You know, Bucks dogging does four pointers running loose everywhere? It was a great time.
Speaker 4: So were you hunting you know, travel corridors, pinch points, or where you spending more time like near food sources of some sort.
Speaker 10: So I would say I am much more of a let's let's hunt the doze in the betting areas with maybe like an extra terrain type feature. I generally hunt the big woods, you know, more and more steeper terrain. So like I like what I call compounding features, maybe like a hog back meets the dough betting type habitat and generally too I was I had scouted some doughs of late October, so I kind of knew where my dough groups were and that was the plan, and that's what I ran. I would hunt scrapes too. I guess that was my second most popular ambush point cloud like.
Speaker 3: That, man, how do you find those doughs? You said you're scouting? Does how you finding them?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: A lot of times so trail cams late October. I spent four days literally just walk in and yes, how I'd bump some doz. Yes, I would pull some cards and be like, oh there's doze in here. On regular basis, deer poop, just beating down tracks more just like stuff telling me they're in here a lot more frequent. And obviously when you're boots to ground, you're seeing the habitat of this looks like dough betting, Like I'm not going to make up some crazy term, this is where the do's bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're looking at thickets and stuff that you see and you're like, okay, they're in there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thickets, maybe some grasses, maybe points where the sun hits the first thing in the day kind of stuff that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that and deer poop. Honestly, collections of deer poop, collections of beds, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So you spent some time hunting scrapes. How effective was that?
Speaker 10: Ooh? So I had multiple hunts where I had doze come in bebop the scrape even at like eleven noon, and one time it was like gray lightish, and I'm like, okay, I know what should happen the next twelve twenty four hours, and I'd see some two and a half year olds. I just didn't have a shooter kind of follow that dough or read the script my trail cams told me. I hunted scrapes on wrong days if you will.
Speaker 2: I did the same thing last week. Man, it just hurts down deep inside.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 10: One of my best encounters was on a scrape that was the sixth sense buck where he came over this like bluffy point and he's looking over this bottom for what felt like forever, and yep, he just said, I'm not going to go down to that scrape today and he's fifty yards from it.
Speaker 4: So in the next week or so, would you still focus on some of the things were we were focused on this week, so like dough betting and maybe scrapes, or would you take what you learned this past week and apply it to next week and change things up.
Speaker 10: The final week of November, I'm going to go a little bit more heavy terrain pinch type hunts, where like I just want to collect giglines of movement, and then I would still hunt scrapes. I get a lot of pictures of you know, bucks recirculating their little circuit and they got to figure out where the doose are that are still high or about the pop and so I was still hunting scrapes, but maybe a little bit more emphasis on the best hogbacks point of the whole Mountain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good stuff, man.
Speaker 2: So if you had rate the upcoming week on a scale of one to ten on buck movie, what would you call it.
Speaker 10: I'm still gonna go seven seven point five. We got one warm day, but I'm still pretty high for the scale.
Speaker 3: We're getting some decimals this week. We got that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and dude, seven seven point five is a good number, man. So it's still a good time to be in the woods in Ohio. Byron, We appreciate the report.
Speaker 10: Man, absolutely both.
Speaker 3: This is Eric Gentry.
Speaker 4: He's also known as Oklahoma Gentry because he's been out in Oklahoma doing some hunting.
Speaker 3: Eric. What are you doing man, Man?
Speaker 6: Just driving up to Illinois to see some family for Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Eric with the element Eric? Ye? Sweet?
Speaker 4: So Eric's Eric's going to Illinois. He might have Illinois report for us next week, but he's got Oklahoma one this week. After eating Thanksgiving noodles this case. So apparently Thanksgiving noodles are a thing, but we don't know what they are. Eric does, and I think some of the more heart of the Midwestern people might understand it, but yeah, some will. Yeah, there's something about it with cream and chicken on top. That's what I think it is.
Speaker 2: No, so enough of the culinary experience here at the Midwest. Eric, you hunted kind of the west, just you know, west of the Midwest.
Speaker 3: I guess you'd say in Oklahoma this past week.
Speaker 2: I might have seen you there, but we wanted to get your take because you actually had some action.
Speaker 3: Did you do you feel like you had a good hunt? Man?
Speaker 5: It was I don't know. It was tough.
Speaker 6: The first time ever got a tag there and it was some of the toughest hunting I've done. There's just not a lot of public land. Uh, there's a big deer being killed on private but I mean there's a lot of hunters around, and I don't know if there was the warm weather and a combination of a lockdown, but it was tough.
Speaker 3: I had to lock down.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: One morning I had a pretty good buck encounter, but he was lockdown with the dough and he would not leave that dough side anything she was doing, he was doing.
Speaker 3: Did you try to think sixty nine or what? No.
Speaker 6: I tried the old snort weez but that that didn't work. Yeah, it got her attention and she kind of stared around for at least an hour and.
Speaker 3: How are you making your moves up?
Speaker 2: There? Was it off of trail camera data or like the stuff you were seeing or what was going on?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were watching the trail cameras and kind of deciding what we want to do. We were hunting bed to feed patterns because we cameras just weren't giving us a lot of data and a lot of the pictures were at night, so it was really tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, case you hunted a near a scrape though at one point, right, how'd that pan out?
Speaker 2: Well, it was like a thing where I feel like the lockdown was going on, like Eric says, and the like bucks will come off dose and they'll move through, maybe hit a scrape or two. And uh, the one day we weren't on the scrape, a buck came through that I would have shot, and then after that it was just nothing.
Speaker 4: So would y'all both agree pretty unpredictable movement? Yeah, man, absolute, Like, if you think about it, this time of year can be awesome. It's a feast or famine deal. Right, it's Eric either eating a bunch of pizza because they're killing.
Speaker 10: Deer or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly getting ready for Thanksgiving, you know, but it's it is It's like you you might sit there and not see anything because you got a bunch of duck bucks that are locked down in an area, and then all of a sudden, if you're sitting at the right scrape or you're sitting in the right you know, uh, you know. Or if a deer wants to act like he wants to be on public land for a little bit instead of private land like, then it could be one of the.
Speaker 3: Best days of your life. What do you think the limiting factor was this past week, Eric Man, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's tough to say. Really, I couldn't tell you. It was my first time hunting Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: So you think that really cooler temperatures would help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so. I think.
Speaker 6: I think they're gonna come out of this lockdown phase and potentially hit scrapes again, and so you might be able to see in a little bit better movement here which week or so.
Speaker 3: I don't look at Elon's weather app like you.
Speaker 2: Do, but I do have a fairly reliable one.
Speaker 8: Tyler's on it now, Oh is he?
Speaker 3: Oh it's pretty. It's just mainly the graphics are cool teslas. So I have been looking.
Speaker 2: I just you know, I'm old school, right, kind of boomer ish, you know, it's boomer center state right. Definitely look at the weather Channel app and it's all it always does me, right, you know. And it seems as if we have a cold front rolling through parts of the central US, including Oklahoma. What you think that's gonna change what you could see in daytime?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 6: I think, Like I said, I think they're gonna once the cooler tens hit, he might hit the scrapes again and start looking for another dough.
Speaker 4: Cool so on a scale of one to ten, and then next week.
Speaker 6: I'd hate to give that typical Midwest answer.
Speaker 3: You know, they'll do it. They'll be good, could be bad.
Speaker 6: But I'd honestly probably give it a six.
Speaker 5: He did it.
Speaker 3: He did it. He's in the Midwest. That's why I did it, dude.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 3: I'm still here in Texas to be a seven or eight probably.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you right now, though here in Illinois, like it is going crazy. As soon as I cross the Mississippi, there's deer in the fields at noon twelve thirty and as I'm sitting here, I'm on a busy road, right now and like there's at least twenty cars on this road. Give you an idea of how busy it is. And there's a small patch of woods across from me. And like literally five seconds ago, a doe is running down the.
Speaker 5: Side of the road.
Speaker 3: Ooh man, but head to leave Texas. That's right, you know, Well, doe.
Speaker 2: Hope you have a marry Thanksgiving. If that's what people say, I don't know. Very thankful Thanksgiving or thankful to have you in our lives. And thank you for the report.
Speaker 5: Sir, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys closed it out with the Midwest six from Eric Gentry.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 2: But including that some pretty positive reports from around the country for deer movement. Man, I think that people are catching on like this is a good time of year to kill a big deer. You say that all the time. Thanksgiving week is like the time.
Speaker 3: Huh, that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: I've had some really good hunts around that time of year, and I remember I had a long hunt one time. I may have talked about this last week, but you know, we went from the Thanksgiving time period late Thanksgiving into December. When I shot a deer early December. That was falling a big mature dough. So, I mean, it's just one of those things, men, where I just don't I think people give up hope really easy a lot of times when you know there's still a lot of good hunting to be had out there right now, especially with cold weather coming in.
Speaker 2: Guarantee you, man, I don't want to minimize this part of this time of year.
Speaker 3: It's a great time to reflect. It's a great time to be thankful.
Speaker 2: It's a good time to focus on your family and your faith and to consider all the blessings you have in life, right, because that's what this is about. That being said, it is a good time of year to get some good stuff on a good deal. Black Friday's around the corner by your family that you love, some Christmas gifts. Go over to the media website and get all the kind of stuff that you want to from that kind of deal. If you want to get a little bit more hunting encouragement, there is a new video on the Element channel. We'll link to the channel below. You can go watch me chase a buck around on the ground for dude. Literally, I was on this buck for the whole day and then half of another day like inside of this year, it was wild.
Speaker 4: That's all I'm gonna tell y'all. Yeah, So there's lots of stuff though coming out. We've been putting trying to crank out some video. We've got some Texas public Land stuff. We've got you know, Nebraska stuff from earlier this year. We've been just kind of trying to crank that stuff as much as possible. In between case. You actually have an article about saddle hunting, doesn't you.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: There's an article on the media website about should you hunt from a saddle?
Speaker 3: Go check that out.
Speaker 2: There's a pretty funny social media post that Tyler and I put out there because humor is what makes this world go around right now, man, because there's a lot of depressing things.
Speaker 3: We like to be funny.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 2: But and then there's a video that goes along with that about shooting from a saddle and why you should maybe consider it.
Speaker 3: Go check that out if you haven't.
Speaker 4: Yep, for sure, guys, thanks for listening. This has been ret fresh, Keep it fresh.