Speaker 1: Guys can ask opening up for questions.
Speaker 2: The last two days, two days previous, the seven interceptions off of your starting quarterback, What were you guys doing defensively to create those kind of takeaways?
Speaker 1: We always stress the ball, it's always everything like that's hugely what it is.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: But as far as like scheme, we're just every day is just work hard, get better. I mean that's really it, taking it day by day. There's no outlandish scheme or anything like that. It's just being detailed in what we do, and that's playing hard, playing physical, violent, you know, having that speed and communication that we have to have. And then it's just executing. But the main thing is our guys are just competing every day. Just work hard, get better. That's that's your focus every day. Then stuff like that works out and you get the ball because you're executing and you know, you create some confusion up front, you know, with guys in his face and everything just rushing coverage ties together. So it's just about the work and you know, guys made plays. We got guys are making plays and that's important.
Speaker 2: Your early impressions and through the defensive tackles you have Collins and Elliott there.
Speaker 1: It's been great. I mean, the whole group's been really fun to work with and watch and see how they work. And you know, Elliott is so exploded, he's so powerful, and you know he's got some movement too, but he's explosive. He's so big, he's a lot bigger than you think you stand next to him, and he does a very powerful hands and and you know, Malik is very dynamic, moves really well, but he also has that power too. And you're seeing that from hard Grave and from from Kevin and Kalia and really all those t y I mean, just the whole group. You're seeing them compete and you know, seeing those explosive dynamic you know, guys that we like that can move but also have power, and it's just it's fun to watch them all compete. Your role in the hip hop Hip Hop Tackle, do you guys have to coach guys up on that or how do you approach that? Watch some stuff on it. I think we'll address it in the future probably at some point.
Speaker 3: I often talked about the leaps that a player can make from year one to year two. You've got a lot of your two defenders under you. What do you tell them when their rookie season is over and they're going into the off season about you know, what to do in the off season and to come in, you know, having made that leap.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of it is just it's just a comfort thing. I vividly remember even myself, like from year one to year two, just jogging on the field that second year. It's just it's nine and day difference just in where you were at. You just played college, you had bowl game, you trained for this combine and stuff, and then it was like a full year and then now you learned what it was to be a pro. And really it's about being in the system, being in the building. It's like, I'm not a student athlete anymore. I'm a professional football player. So you've already kind of have your system, so there's a comfort level. You've got plans in place, You've got people around you who you trust as far as teammates and coaches and staff. So I think it's more of it's a comfort level that they learn, and a lot of guys it's you know, just being around you know, these veteran guys that can help them as well. But for us, it is it's about Okay, here's where you were. How good can you be? Because a lot of time you see them start to ascend during that first year anyway, So it's like, okay, let's see the jump and you just challenge them.
Speaker 3: Like the two second year linebackers, Graham and Winters both had nice place today, I mean, and you've seen that leap from from both of them. To talk about where each of.
Speaker 1: Them meet absolutely, I mean, d winners play fast. So when you and so does Jalen. The way to play fast is to know what you're doing and to feel comfortable in that, and then you're anticipating it. You got to learn a whole new system. You know, it's totally different in college. There's a lot of differences and then the details of what we do. So it's understanding the differences in the offenses and then understand the details of the defense. And once you start to ask that, it starts to become second nature and your brain's not slowing you down. Then you can see that speed and you can fully cut it loose. And that's where they're at. They're taking that jump, both of them. It's cool.
Speaker 4: A lot of the nickel stuff last year, So you work with Demo a lot. Fred Corner saying last year that the guys that can play in the same game outside of insight are really rare. Yeah, are they for? First of all, and what enables Demo to do that?
Speaker 1: It is hard, it's tough, it's rare to it happens so fast inside, and then you have to have a different skill set in there as far as just the tackling and being able to all right, we're playing this coverage, you know this Stone coverage. Now I'm playing it inside. It's different. You have different run fits. You've got to get your run passory and then you've got to be able to man up outside where their space and that guy can work. So it is impressive that he could do it. Not a lot of guys can, especially in the game. But that's something we like our guys that have versatility. You know, it teaches you a lot. And then also add to you know, who we can have up and you know you've got to be prepared for that too based on positions. You know, just like we talked about last time, I think with you know, Gross Matos having the inside pass rush versatility, you know, it's big for your team. Really talk about.
Speaker 3: Ronaldo Green, He's give me a shot.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: I'm happy with the progress. I mean he's picking it up quick. He's again same thing as Demo. We're working him inside and outside. We're doing that with a few guys. He's doing good, really good.
Speaker 2: If Staley is going to be in the booth from.
Speaker 1: Games, yeah, he's going to be upstairs.
Speaker 4: The biggest challenge for you in this promotion and becoming the defensive course you're having that top spot.
Speaker 1: I think it's you just your days different now you have different responsibilities. So it's just you know, planning that out, working through it and just understanding that all right, I'm I'm charge of my staff and the entire defense and what we want to look like. These are the changes I may want to do. This is how I want today to look, and these are how I want everyone to coach a position and you know, do certain things. I'm the final say really on that. And you know, it's just been fun. You know, once you get to the games, it's you know, making the calls and but it's really the preparation. It's the preparation of the week and the off season and training camp. It's been really really fund.
Speaker 4: Is there a certain dynamic of the relationship.
Speaker 2: You and Fred kind of be on the same tape, so we can I don't know what's your relationship.
Speaker 1: With Yeah, Fred, it's good, it's good. I mean, he's a great guy. It's I mean, he's really really smart. He knows every part of this defense. He understands. So I do like to talk through what I'm thinking on certain things, and you know, while we're doing something today and tomorrow, and so the keep developing the relationship and talking through that with him has been good. So earlier this week said the defensive the society pretty much one practice on Monday, and then it seems.
Speaker 3: Kind of the same happen yesterday.
Speaker 1: What's the reason for that? I I don't know. I was talking about this with some of the coaches. I don't know if it's the standard of and now my mindset always I never I don't really think of it like that. I always feel like I see what we can be, so I f I don't feel like we're just winning the day like you say, I expect to be like that, and we have a great offense, and I see the problems they give us too, and it makes us better and I enjoy when they have something that gives us trouble cause it challenges us to think and to play better, and I just know where we can be. So it's, you know, win the day, whatever, do we get better? That's all I care about really that day, Like did we work hard, did we get better? Did we finish? Did we play with that speed violence and finished that we Really it's about that every day.
Speaker 4: Emo was talking about strategizing with Staley and some of the things that he's taught am already in terms of percentages and window looks. I think on a radio interview even said he was like the defense of Kyle in terms of knowing strategies to be in your position and have an offensive strategist and a defensive strategist of that caliber. What's that like?
Speaker 1: It's great, Like I said, it's been great having them here. I mean, he's really smart, he's got a lot of experience and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It's huge.
Speaker 1: You know, it's been awesome. Thank you.