Speaker 1: Welcome back to Cardinal Territory.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Katie wu here with the very special guest Miles Michaelis is our player interview today. We are recording on Monday, April fourteenth, but you are seeing this on Wednesday, April sixteenth. Miles one of my personal faves. Always great to see you. Thank you so much for doing this today.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on a little a little bit of free time before I head into the field.
Speaker 4: So I thought this would be this would be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so let's just go right into it.
Speaker 2: Your your fresh off a bounce back start, five innings, three yearn runs, and we've talked to like all spring and early season about the things that you're doing differently this year in terms of sequencing and essentially sounds weird not throwing as many strikes. Is that a difficult concept for you to fathom at first?
Speaker 3: Maybe a little bit, because you know, I grew up watching baseball a certain way and like reading certain you know, I had, you know, when I was in middle school, in high school, I had all the pitching books, you know, the Leo Mazzoni and the Noan Ryan Pitcher's Bible and all those things.
Speaker 4: And even in some of those books.
Speaker 3: Like they talk about like those two one two counts, you know, hitters are vulnerable. Hitters are vulnerable. A lot of guys are just trying to put the ball in play. And you can throw a quality pitch fairly close or in the strike zone on the edges, and you know, I feel like the hitters approach.
Speaker 4: Guys used to not like to strike out. So you saw a lot of like just oh, I want to put it in play kind of.
Speaker 3: Some of the two strikes, guys just trying not to strike out. And if you're nibbling at the edges of the zone and throwing strikes in those counts and the guy hitting has that mentality, you know, you're throwing quality pitches, quality strikes, and he's popping up and he's grabbing out and rolling over. But the way the game has changed, the way they with analytics and they value guys and they value players, guys don't have like a two. A lot of players don't have this two strike. I don't want to strike out, like check swing. There's a handful of guys, we know who they are. You know, they back it up with two strikes. They're just trying to sheet stuff, you know, down the first baseline, stand alive waist and pitches. But most guys are still trying to get off their a or you know, aus type swings even with two strikes, you know, trying to do damage and stuff like that. So all of a sudden, throwing pitches that are you know, anywhere close to the zone.
Speaker 4: It's it's almost like not even worth it.
Speaker 3: So so like for the philosophies and things to change is different. It's also interesting to be around the game long enough to see those those shifts. And you know, I've you know, drafted an nine you know, minor leagues debut in twelve, so it's been you know, thirteen years since my big league debut and I had my little Japanese hiatus, and this is my ninth here in the league. But I can only imagine the the changes that you know, the guys before me, like Wainwright and YACHTI saw from you know, two thousand and six, you know to two thousand and twenty five, how much the game change. So it's it's an interesting thing to be a part of something I kind of embrace a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's a great point. I mean, it's it's hard to stay in this league. It's hard to return to this league after some hiatuses if you will. Yeah, I think what what people forget is like the longevity of this league says something about who you are as a pitcher and what you do. And it's adaptability that keeps you in this game. It can be really hard to tell a picture. Hey, you need to stop throwing strikes, which I know is not exactly crazy, but to simplify it.
Speaker 3: And and it's it's not to say I'm not throwing strikes, but I would rather have swinging strikes then because a lot of guys also aren't looking anymore. They're not they're not you know, anything close. Let a rip kid as opposed to this, like you know, and there's there's older guys. There's older guys where you can throw that like o too fastball, like down and away for the zone and they'll just get it to you.
Speaker 4: They're like, that's not my pitch. I'll give it to you.
Speaker 3: And but but the majority of the league is you know, if it's close, I'm swinging.
Speaker 4: So all you have to do is like be close.
Speaker 3: You know, guys are on guys are on green from from the get go.
Speaker 4: As a majority, I think, so.
Speaker 2: How do you incorporate what this new style? It's not like a necessarily new style of pitch. And we talked about this on Saturday, Like you've had swing and miss in your game before.
Speaker 1: It's just finding a different way to get there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then and it's it's you know, with it's another shift in the game, right because.
Speaker 4: It it all works together.
Speaker 3: Right, So if I want to throw, you know, I want to throw seven innings.
Speaker 4: I want to throw nine innings.
Speaker 3: I wanna through the whole game. They're not gonna let me throw one hundred and twenty pitches unless it's like a no hitter, right, They're gonna let you get two hundred like wherever that is five innings, six.
Speaker 4: Innings, seven innings.
Speaker 3: If you're getting past one hundred pitch, it's like a complete game shutout. Or you know, you're the ace, and it's the playoffs, even the ace in the playoffs guys getting pulled after one hundred pitches because bullpens are so stacked. I mean, the you know you've got guys coming in the sixth seventh. It an't throw ninety seven to ninety eight hundred miles an hour on some teams, and it's like, sure, I'll get through five or six innings on one hundred pitches, Like, you know, do.
Speaker 4: You have to be happy with that now?
Speaker 3: I mean, when I came back in twenty eighteen, you know, blessed with having a guy like Weno on the staff and he's got all his one liners. You gotta go seven, you know, if you want the win, you gotta go seven. Like that's the mindset. And he came up in the early two thousands, mid mid you know, two thousand and six, seven, eight nine, and there was that men title like you're going seven innings regard, and that was almost like regardless of how many pitches you're throwing, you're going hundred hundred and ten hundred and twenty. They were just letting dudes go. With the injuries and stuff and all the information that they're having and the way that they're you know, going about it with everyone you know, doing what they're doing.
Speaker 4: You know that's changed and you just don't see it as much. And it's you know, if I want.
Speaker 3: To throw one hundred pitches, like I sidetracked back to my ooser point, if I want to get seven in in's and I only have one hundred pitches.
Speaker 4: I have to get some quick outs. I need contact.
Speaker 3: And if I get a guy oh two, waste one in the dirt, that's one two.
Speaker 4: Maybe he'll chase a fastball up. Now it's two two. Now it's you know, now he's battling. I'm battling. Now I have to finish. Get that.
Speaker 3: So maybe I'm throwing something on the corners and he fouls one or two off, and then maybe he takes a close pitch and all of a sudden, I went from O two and now it's full count and I've thrown seven pitches chasing a strikeout. Now I have to throw something where he's got weak contact, or maybe he strikes out looking finally, or he just he doesn't want to walk. He wants to hit so bad. I throw like a slider in the dirty, swings at it. Maybe they get the strikeout, maybe he grounds out, pap up gets a hit. But either way, I've now seven or eight pitches, when before I was like, oh two, Oh, I'll throw like a little curveball down the way.
Speaker 4: Maybe in the strike zone he's off balance.
Speaker 3: Maybe I sequence it right, and here's like my chopper to short there's an out in three pitches.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: There's a time for that, and there's a time for not that guy on third base, guy on second base, two outs, go for the strikeout.
Speaker 4: Don't let him put it in play, don't let him bloop it.
Speaker 3: So I think there's there there is a whole nuance to it as a whole picture, like am I chasing strikeouts from the get go?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'd love to strike out everyone.
Speaker 3: Every picture would say that I'd love to strike out everybody, but that's not.
Speaker 4: Always the case.
Speaker 3: And you know, you see guys rack up pitch counts quick now because it's six or seven pitch to everybody and he strikes out or walks or you know, gets to full counter to two before the guy rolls over or pops up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: And it's just everything.
Speaker 3: It's like everything compounds, and it's where do you want to be? I want to throw so many innings, but if I'm giving up runs early because I'm trying to do things on less pitches, well, I'm never going to get to the six inning anyway, because I gave up a couple of runs and now the bullpen's in the game because the game's tight, it's a one run game, as opposed to I got through five innings.
Speaker 4: Great, Like you know, am.
Speaker 3: I happy with that seven six years ago? No, because I want to go seven because everyone, you know, everyone wants to throw two hundred innings.
Speaker 4: You know, or more like you want to be a workhorse. But what what teams are looking for?
Speaker 3: That's that's more rare, and that's like more you know, more difficult than ever to to hit, you know, numbers like that. Teams are almost really just looking for you know, they would love us six or seven innings, but if you give them five innings or six innings of you know, one two, three run ball and they can get the bullpen involved and hope the offense clicks. You know, analytics are saying like that's great and it and you know, maybe it comes at the expense of you know, bullpen, like using more bullpen you know, bullpen arms and stuff like that. But you know, the what what teams want I think is even changing. I think that's some of the the overall issue with with baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I think you're spot on, because this is not like you know, when I was growing up, if you will, in high school and watching guys Adam's gonna hate this. When I was watching Adam Wayne right in high school, it was so.
Speaker 4: Was I in high school. So was I.
Speaker 1: There we go, see I'm not as bad.
Speaker 2: It'd be seven innings, and now you're seeing more of the five and dive is considered a good start because there are It used.
Speaker 4: To be five and dive. It's not five and dive anymore. It's like pat them on the back.
Speaker 3: You know. It's like, straight up, if you went five innings with maybe even like eight strikeouts, that threw one hundred pitches. Now, guys in the mid two thousands would have been like man element five things.
Speaker 4: They said, Hey, those strikeouts are great. I like it.
Speaker 3: I gave up to five innings. You know, it's you know, you give your team a chance, is your starting pitcher, keep your team in the game as long as you can, and ideally save the bullpen from getting you know it emptied out ideally, But yeah, it's things change.
Speaker 1: Times are changing.
Speaker 2: I want to get into a little bit about where you're at physically right now, how do you feel you're pitching?
Speaker 1: But first we got to do our first abage of the day. So let's hear from our friends at.
Speaker 5: PHG AJ it is time for people to get some new clubs, and to do that they need to go to their local PXG for a fitting, right.
Speaker 6: No doubt. I was there today, I've been there before. Last time I was there, they gave me this killer gap. You look at that sweet spot, Scott, it is warm now. That is right in this sweet spot right there. So I went and got new clubs today, new irons. But more importantly, I got this bad boy. I got me a new putter. This is my old putter.
Speaker 1: It's on order.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's my putter cover PXG Mustang putter. Now I'm going to the Allen putter. They talked me into it because I was draining some putts today. Bob, the guy who helped me out. He helped me with my irons. You got them ted up perfectly. But then we went to the putt and green. I was draining them putts because that's the most important part of golf.
Speaker 5: PXG fittings are fun. Schedule you're fitting today, as you can hear from AJ for a limited time, you could save up to twenty percent on your entire order. Head over to pxg dot com slash foul that's pxg dot com slash foul to save up to twenty percent on your entire order. Pxg dot com slash foul restrictions apply see site for details.
Speaker 2: Perfect segue. Because you're a golf guy, but only during season. Correct, you don't golf in the off season?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I you know, you only have I tell people a lot.
Speaker 3: You have time for like one hobby in the off season, even less than half a hobby if you have a family in the off season. So my off season hobby is fishing, but my end season hobby is mostly golf because it's harder to find places to fish, you know, when you're bouncing across the country.
Speaker 2: Okay, so who's your like go to teammate that you play with? Do you have an ideal foursome? Like, what's your ideal golf day on the road?
Speaker 3: You know, ideally I like to get up early. My most ideal golf on the road ever, has I think been. We're playing Texas and the hotel we stay has a golf.
Speaker 4: Course on premise. Yeah, so like you just wake up.
Speaker 3: You know, eat breakfast and go downstairs or even just go play around at golf at eight o'clock, be the first one out, and I'm the first one in at like ten thirty. And I can need a late breakfast and not have to go anywhere. But I like to get up, get out early it's not too hot, and played a lot of golf in summer.
Speaker 4: Get it early, it's not too hot. And you know, the foursome has changed over the years.
Speaker 3: From when I got here, I had the pleasure of playing with guys like Adam Is a tremendous golfer, Bud Norris one of the better golfers I've ever played with, you know, Holland Waka Long. I mean, we had we had some good some good golf groups in the past. And now it's a little bit different. There's not as many golfers, but people are willing to go golfing.
Speaker 4: Andre Is is like learning to golf, so he's fine golfin. He's fun to take golfing. You know, Hellsley.
Speaker 3: Is getting better at golf. If it's an off day, the position players will get involved. Not as a great golfer, Sonny. I think of the guys I know that will beat me on a golf course is probably like Sonny and Aeronauta.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was not familiar with Sonny's game. I knew Nolan was good. Sometimes he is really good, and I was really good golfer. I don't notice about Sunny.
Speaker 3: Sunny is a really good golfer. Steven Mattz can hit the golf ball like a country mile. He got three homers in the show. He swings right handed. And we golf the other day and I was like, hey, man, if if you approached golfing like your bullpen.
Speaker 4: You know you might be. He's like, He's like, no, man, I see that ball sitting there on the team. I just got to smash it. I'm like, all right, I like that. I like that style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm that way most of the time.
Speaker 3: But if my score gets two out of hand, I try to try to rein it in a little bit. But we've got some good golfers. Everyone will golf a little bit. Lars Siani, you know some other guys I haven't golf with. Lebby said he's pretty good at golf. I needn't get him on the golf course. That would be fun. I just like being outside. You you know, you wake up on the road. Some places are tough. We're gonna we run up in the Mets in a couple of days. That's a tough You know, you're in the city. If you're gonna play golf, it's like taking.
Speaker 4: An hour to get there. You gotta get It's tough.
Speaker 3: You ALUs have to if you're gonna play golf in New York, you have to really like go out out of Long Island and then just hit City Field on your way back in and then just take everything back with the bus at night before.
Speaker 1: Except I left my clubs at the front. I went out to satish Long Island.
Speaker 2: I'm not bringing my clubs to the press box on the subway, Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: It was I was linked to work. It was fun though.
Speaker 3: Yeah we got Yeah, and then I think Sonny has has some really nice golf line up for us in Atlanta, so I'm excited about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like I said, I'd rather I'd rather be outside. And every once in a while I'll go on like golf now and just whatever course I can get.
Speaker 4: It's closed, if it's a dog track, if it's nice not nice, I don't really care. Sometimes I show up and I have someone with me. It's just like I got like the random Yeah, who was it? It was like last year and it was the you know, the.
Speaker 3: Like the sixty five year old guy who plays the course like every Wednesday for like the last twenty years, and he's got the first tea time out and he goes off by himself. But I signed up for too because I'm trying to get and just golf with random guy.
Speaker 4: It's nice. I met him USU. He was a pretty nice guy.
Speaker 1: That's how you make friends.
Speaker 2: You'll have to you have to update me on how the golf in Atlanta does. I don't know if you've ever played golf with Pedro. He's been a victim on the.
Speaker 4: Show's Good Golfer, but.
Speaker 1: No one posted good shots.
Speaker 3: I think he's sandbagged me once, like the first time. He's like, oh, I'm not in good at golf, Like I'm not really good, And he had his first ball like right down the mill and I was like, you lie, people lying snake.
Speaker 2: Well there there's been a lot of a lot of posts on Instagram on Twitter of all of his bad shots, and he is he's he said it does. He doesn't think it's very fair because no one ever posts the good shots, but I don't know I get to one.
Speaker 1: But apparently, yeah.
Speaker 4: No one posts a picture of a minnow. It's always a guy with the marlin.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's right, Miles, Where do you think you're at right now?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know twenty three and twenty four did not go the way you wanted, both from a team performance and a personal performance. We'll call that Boston start out the window. But I really thought on Saturday there were some a lot of good things to look forward or just to spin off of, especially coming after that first inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you know, it's always nice to see like weird swings when you throw some pitches, like guys like the weird check swings or you know, guys not seeing it.
Speaker 4: I think maybe I was hiding.
Speaker 3: The ball better the other day, you know, staying close a little bit longer.
Speaker 4: But you know, my you know, physically, my.
Speaker 3: Body everything, everything feels great, which is one of those things like you know, you do you want to like be pitching great, but like maybe like you don't feel good, like your body heards, you're like pitching through things, but pitching the good or you know, I had a rough one, but other than that, I feel good about my stuff. I like my stuff, and like, physically I feel really good, So I know that, you know, things will only tread in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Like I'm not battling anything. I'm not really battling any.
Speaker 3: Like unnormal soreness as far as like throwing or baseball goes. So I know that just as the season progresses, and you know, there's like a running joke, my best fastballs will come in August.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, you can actually go.
Speaker 3: I've actually I've looked, because you know, every year you show up the spring training, you're like, damn, I swear at the end of last year, I was strolling like ninety five ninety six. Every once in a while, I could really reach back, and like you're reaching back early in the season, you're like, dang, I really wish it was there.
Speaker 4: You're getting older, You're always thinking like did I lose it? Is this?
Speaker 3: It is this the year that I just don't have any extra heat in the back pocket.
Speaker 4: And then I went on and looked, and it's like, you know, there's this.
Speaker 3: Graph of like your fastball and my best ones are always like July, August and even September some years. So yeah, you know, you know I'm like like a sea biscuit, you know, like the second half, you know, second half horse, you know, coming from behind, underdog. Maybe I don't know, but so there's like a running joke like, oh, you know, I just got to get warmed up. The weather's it's cold, the weather's got a.
Speaker 2: Warm Yeah, I'll give you that, But no, I really do think this stuff looks better. And you know, it's it's a weird season. You're the longest tenured cardinal from the major league team, and I get this is the youngest clubhouse you and I have ever seen.
Speaker 1: So it's a little different. Everything's a little different. That's all right.
Speaker 3: Different can be good. I mean we're we're hitting the ball super good. We're hitting all so well. I mean we got to Wheeler the other day, and and Nola. I mean that's too. The better guys in the league, especially Wheeler and and Nola the last couple of years. So to get to those guys when we scored, you know, we got to schemes in Pittsburgh, and most of the games we lost, you know, aside from even in Boston, like you know, the one game we lost in Boston, you know, extra innings and all the games for the Angels, you know, those games, all those close games are falling our way, and.
Speaker 4: It's a it's it's it's a way different story.
Speaker 2: I don't think you guys are you know, seven and eight before the Houston series. We'll see how this is at the end of the month, but you know, stay around right like right around five hundred.
Speaker 1: I think you guys will be just fine from there.
Speaker 4: But we'll see on the on the better half of that, i'd like to imagine.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not doubting.
Speaker 2: I really do feel like this team has a lot of positive attributes that we're probably not seen all the way just because of the fan apathy and frustration based off the off season, which, as you know, it doesn't really have much to do with the players.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, and you know, we sweep the first series and then I get like the weather's not great, but like we sweep the first series, and then like the first game of the next series is like not as many people as you'd like to see at the game. You know, sometimes the fan base will turn around that they swept the series. They're back, They're great, this is gonna be awesome, Like, let's go people are holding back. I understand they're they're they're a little bit wary of us. But we got some great baseball coming up, especially if this weather gets nice and hopefully the seeds start filling up a little bit better.
Speaker 2: And one thing you and I both know about Cardinals fans is that the Cardinals continue to win, the fans will show up.
Speaker 1: I don't think they see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, you know, for for the sake of argument, Yeah, there's there's winning team, there's entertaining teams.
Speaker 4: We're very entertaining.
Speaker 1: You guys are very entertaining.
Speaker 4: The salesman in me is gonna pitch.
Speaker 3: You know, come, come out to the game, enjoy the game, Enjoy the weather, especially in the spring when it's still nice in August when it's one hundred for those day games. I understand that, you know, you want to make sure you get a seat in the shade, but right now, fill up the stadium. The weather's nice, Come out and watch, you know, watch the ball game, Appreciate the effort that we're putting forth, and and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Miles were almost set time here, but I did want to deserve some time for your rant on youth sports. And if you've ever listened to a Miles Michael's rant, it can go anywhere. So I'm listening and the floor is yours.
Speaker 4: All I want to.
Speaker 3: Say is like the emphasis on winning and the stuff that I hear from other people, like emphasis on winning at a young age, like I've had almost enough of it. Maybe like that eleven to twelve, like the Little Big World series age, then we can really focus on winning. But you got like machine pitch coaches arguing about how many runs they scored kids six or seven years old. I think it's fun, Like with the walkup songs, I think it's fun.
Speaker 4: Some of the stuff.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that the parents letting their children listen to some of the music. I hope it's an edited version even if it's not, like it's suggestive and kids don't know what the words mean sometimes. But you know, my kids listen to like the classic country, classic rock, you know, things like that, and there's there's messages in all the music. But some of the walkout songs, the kids come out, So I'm like, that's not appropriate even to editing, I don't think. But you also you don't need to walk out song. I get like they want to have the slag. They want to be like the pros they see on TV. But I think it's a little much. I mean, when I was in a little league, all you had to do was were your hat backwards like hanger for junior, and that was like the big thing.
Speaker 4: Now it's like, you know, arm inviting me.
Speaker 3: I heard someone complain his kids were a little older. I heard of a friend of mine complaining they they're kids like ten years old, and they allow steals. The kid gets on first base, he steals second. No catchers can throw the ball to second base because he's only ten years old.
Speaker 4: And then it's a bad throw, and then the kid runs the third. Every hit is a triple stop, the stealing, stop, rushing these kids.
Speaker 3: Let them work on the skills and the fundamentals, especially at a younger age. In this machine pitch league. They you know, like a routine ground ball to shortstop. Sometimes the coaches will tell the shortstop to just eat it, like don't throw it.
Speaker 4: Because if he throws it, it's a fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: Chance or probably better than that, that the ball goes to the fence and that the kid's going to be on second base. If I was running these leagues. There's no taking an extra base unless it's like a throw to third base, you know, like maybe getting a force out and then the guy can score, Like you can take home plate if it's a bath, or to third. But like, let the kid run first base, let him run all the way through. Make the kid at shortstop or third base make the throw. Let him practice the throw in real time, whether the guy safe or out or he throws it over his head or throw his legs. But let him make the throw and leave the kid on first base. Keep the force play at second base in line so the kids can learn that when there's a guy on first that you feel it, then you can get an easier out at.
Speaker 4: Second because you end up with ground ball, short stoff.
Speaker 3: The kid throws it at the first base or you know whatever, he's on second. Now there's no force play. Now the kids don't understand. They get the ball, the kids on second, they're not understanding, like where to do they throw it to third? But it's not a force and it just like it it messes with the whole flow of the game.
Speaker 4: Like, let him play the game the right way.
Speaker 3: Encourage them to throw and make the play it, not just like, oh, don't make an error, don't throw it like that.
Speaker 4: That drives me nuts. I'm like, throw the ball, just throw it.
Speaker 3: And if I was a coach, when I am a coach in the future, I'll try to get the other coaches on board.
Speaker 4: I'll be like, hey, let's not take extra bases today. Let the kid throw it.
Speaker 3: Let's not take extra bases. I bet you the game will go buy faster. The kid will still be safe, he won't be out. Like keep the force play alive. The game might even move, The game would move quicker. Maybe guys would get more bats or more reps and this like it just you know, let them play, let them play, let them let them develop. And then like the kids doing the travel ball seven eight years old travel team. There used to be one travel team in Jupiter when I was growing up.
Speaker 4: When I got a little older, there were maybe two. Now there's like, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Have like organizations, Yeah, like you know, the the Jupiter Whoever's they've got a ten or twelve and a fourteen year old team. They've got an A team and a B team for each age. And it's like, I don't know, I don't know what we're doing. I didn't play. I don't think I played travel ball. Really, you know, you play Little League and then you play All Stars. I know it's different now, but I think the I think the reps are good. But driving halfway across the state for nine year olds to have six of bets off a coach or a machine and then not even throw the ball across the diamond because they're worried about making an air and the kids taking second base, I don't I don't get it. And I read an article or an excerpt from an article that was talking about the Tommy John surgeries over the last however long, and it was twenty of them. Out of the twenty pictures, nineteen of them were American born pictures, and one of them was a Latin player. And it was a knock on the travel ball, Like just do everything you can to throw hard at a young age, and you know, mechanics be danged, or you know, your body be darned, just you gotta throw hard.
Speaker 4: You gotta throw hard, you gotta throw hard.
Speaker 3: And these kids are blown out, you know, younger than ever, earlier than ever, and like.
Speaker 1: More often they ever travel culture.
Speaker 3: Not it, No, it's not and that that was the whole point, is that at some point there has to be a shift in the way that travel ball and all these things kind of work so kids can stay healthy and baseball can stay you know, the way it is.
Speaker 2: For those of you wondering what reporters and players talk about in the hour of clubhouse every day, that that's about it.
Speaker 1: Very little work. Some some reporters do work, not not necessarily me.
Speaker 2: Uh, my favorite thing about you, Miles is that I never know what we're going to talk about.
Speaker 4: We've done.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've talked about the carnivore diet, We've talked about.
Speaker 1: This, so many things, like there's so.
Speaker 3: Many things going on in the you know, in today's day and age.
Speaker 4: There's always you know, all I do.
Speaker 3: Is, you know, read the internet news for just a for just a minute and got all different stuff.
Speaker 2: We never run out of things to talk about. I also noticed that you've had a baseball in your hand this entire podcast, and I've had a pen in my hand this entire time. I think this is a true I don't know, and body is the we're just master masters.
Speaker 1: Of our craft.
Speaker 3: Lyndy had a great game the other day. Always has a baseball in his hand. I'm seeing if maybe that's the.
Speaker 1: Sunny does too.
Speaker 3: Sonny always has, always, always in a baseball, always like messing with the grip. I'm on, you know, working on your grips. So some days some grips feel great and some days they feel like I don't even want to, Like I'm kind of like wash my hands on it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully your next start, which is Friday against the New York Mets, is another great one.
Speaker 1: We'll see, but I.
Speaker 2: Know you have to get to the stadium and so do I. So, hey, thank you so much for doing this. I always appreciate it time outside of the work hours. Yeah, that's Miles Michaelis. You know him, you love him. I'm Katie Wu. This is Cardinal Territory. We'll be back later in the week, Bernie Michlas and I will wrap up the Astro series.
Speaker 1: Until then, thanks for watching, Myles. I'll see you in a little bit.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, See you later.