Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey wasn't this stuff to blow your mind?
Speaker 3: My name is Robert Lamb and I'm Joe McCormick, and today we're back with part two of our series about a cave system in the US state of Arizona known as Carchner Caverns. Rob, you wanted to talk about this cave because you just visited in person with your family, though though you'd been there once before, at least once be four years ago, right, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, like fourteen years ago. My wife and I visited the area and went to Cartner Caverns and two or two of the rooms, and then in the past couple of months we went back with our kiddo and we all experienced the big room, which we'll come back to here in a bit.
Speaker 3: So in the last episode we talked a lot about the discovery and development history of the caverns, which involve a lot more secrecy things like code names and you know, secret messages than you might expect for the discovery of a cave. Also some harrowing tales of people squeezing their full adult bodies through little melon sized holes in rock. And we also talked about a lot of the concerns that go into responsible development of caves that are going to be open to public tours, and how easily cave ecosystems can get thrown out of whack by everything from you know what's on the bottom of your boots to cheeto dust, to lint to whatever. And we're back today to talk about more, and.
Speaker 2: I want to mention once more that in addition to visiting the caves and going on on a guided tour and going through the museum and so forth, one of my key sources here is the book Cartoner Caverns, How Two Cavers Discovered and Saved one of the Wonders of the natural World, by Neil Miller holding up here for the For any of y'all out there that are using video, this is a great book, especially if you want a much deeper dive, but a very accessible dive into all the trials and tribulations the long journey of conservation for Cartoner Caverns.
Speaker 3: Get all the squeezing through holes and walking past rattlesnake stories and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, who got stuck? Some people got stuck going through the blowhole early on, you know, because they had to bring in outsiders, you know, to check it out, and not everybody was as good at squeezing through that little hole.
Speaker 3: So to kick things off for today, Rob, you mentioned the last time that Carchner Caverns is sometimes referred to as a living cave, and what that means is that the cave is still hydrologically active, so water is still flowing through the rock, and so the shape of the cave is still actively changing year by year little by little, and the mineral formations within the cave are still growing. Sometimes limestone caves can become essentially fixed in place. Even that's an approximate because you know, there are always things that can change the shape of a cave, you know, other kinds of erosion or of course any you know, collapses or things like that. So you know, no cave is really fixed on geological time. But some caves can become more fixed, at least from a water flow standpoint, if the flow of water that originally shaped them is diverted or otherwise cut off. So these caves are sometimes thought of as dead or dormant in form or maybe reliced caves. But Kartchner is not one of those examples. It is still alive and growing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very hypercentile of the formations are still alive. And that is one thing to keep in mind is that even within a very wet, very living cave, you'll still you know, water is still has to flow down in just the right places for these formations to continue to grow. And sometimes particular formations get cut off they're no longer growing. Sometimes they fall over or break, you know, under their own weight or because of human or animal movement or even seismic activity that sort of thing. But then they can also be sort of reactivated if the water situation changes even slightly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, I know we wanted to talk about some of these specific types of formations or speliothems you see inside Carchner, but I guess before that we should back up a step and do a review on the basic process that forms a limestone cave. Usually goes like this. You've got rain water falls to the ground and it seeps through the soil. Where As it passes through the soil, it absorbs carbon dioxide, thus becoming weakly acidic. So the water now contains carbonic acid, and this acidic water seeps down into the ground until it reaches or flows into the porous limestone layer, and then as the acidic water passes through the limestone, it dissolves little bits of the mineral content of the rock. So in this case, the rock would be calcite or calcium carbonate, and it carries away that dissolved mineral. Actually it's ionic constituents, so it turns into calcium ions and bicarbonate ions. It dissolves those into the acidic water and it carries them along in the liquid. However, when the acidic water emerges from the rock into the air filled void of the cave, which usually has a lower CO two concentration, it off gases. It's kind of like opening a can of Seltzer carbonated beverage. The dissolved carbon dioxide is released from the water becomes a gas in the air. And once this happens, now the acidity of the water has been lowered and the water loses its ability to retain the constituents of calcite in solution. So the dissolved calcium and bicarbonate ions come out of solution and then they form the mineral calcite once again. So now as this water runs along surfaces and drips from ceiling to floor in these air filled voids in a cave. It creates deposits of calcium carbonate that can no longer be held in solution, and these drip points become things like stalactites and stalagmites and other weirder things that we'll get to in just a second, that they form as the calcite gradually accumulates and crystallizes over time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many different formations, and the crazy thing is we haven't even completely figured out how all of them form.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but in.
Speaker 2: General, yeah, they form according to the movements of water, which can can certainly take on that simple top down stalactite stalagmite model that we're all used to, I think, but you can also get all sorts of other formations that are typically named after foods, informally by hungry cavers. You see this time and time again, because what we were talking about in the first episode, you don't want to have a big meal before you go in. You can bring some snacks, but you got to carry out everything you bring in, so you know, generally cavers are hungry. Two of my favorites in this category are cave bacon and fried eggs.
Speaker 3: Let's hear about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so fried eggs, and I encourage everyone to look up images of these if they're not forthcoming or you don't know what I'm talking about. But fried eggs or calcite deposits that develop in existing stalagmites from overhead drips, sometimes taking on a distinct egg yolk appearance in the middle. These can look very Sometimes they don't look exactly like a fried egg, but they look they look gnarly. I'll go ahead and say that.
Speaker 3: Well, can I say the picture you have in the document here for us to look at is my kind of fried egg. You know, there are different ways to make a fried egg. Some like a very gently fried egg where the white part is going to end up being very flat and untextured whites, and then a very you know, sort of a gently gently warmed yolk area. I like a kind of hard fried egg where the white gets very frothy and bubbly and browned on the underside. And that's what it looks like here. It looks like, you know, you've got a kind of yolk in the middle, and then the white all around it looks very bubbly. It's textured.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Now, my favorite of these, so it's certainly my favorite of the formations that observed on my recent tour is the cave bacon. Cave bacon is a thin, wavy flowstone drapery and this is formed by calcite rich water trickling down sloped cave ceilings. The way it was explained to me on the tour is, think about when you're taking a shower and you reach up to adjust the shower head and water veins down your arm. Imagine that except calcite rich water that forms this thin rock formation over time kind of like hanging down like a kind of you know, like a shroud or something. So they're beautifully translucent. Really when when lit from behind, so you know, you get somebody with a light lamp they can catch from behind and the light will will actually go through the cave bacon and it has this marbled appearance that just you know, unmistakably looks like bacon.
Speaker 3: Streaky bacon for our UK based listeners.
Speaker 2: Knows that what they call it in the UK streaky bacon.
Speaker 3: Well, you know you've got the different haus. You've got streaky bacon, which is made from the pork belly, so you get this striated, streaky appearance. And then I think in the UK a lot of bacon is back bacon, which has made more from the loin. I think I could be wrong about that, but it's got like a bigger eye of meat in it and has less of that just strata geological layers kind of appearance that American bacon does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this stuff's really picturesque. Also, of note, so to straw formations, which are also mildly the food based in their naming. Yeah, these are incredible, really delicate, thin hollow tubes that hang down quite fragile, so fragile that even young bats learning to fly and echo locate can bump into them and knock them down. So it's easy to imagine if baby bats are able to damage these, human cavers can very easily break them, and sometimes they just break off under their own weight.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So I was looking up the formation of soda straws because I got very interested in these. Again. Yeah, you're exactly right there. They're very thin, very delicate. I mean, straw is the perfect comparison. They're hollow tubes and they're about as thin as straws. I mean I guess they can take slightly different thicknesses, but a lot of them really do just look like long straws. And it turns out the soda straw is the early stage of formation of a stalactite, So most stalactites were once soda straws when they were little baby stalactites. My understanding of the process is that so they're drip formations of course, you know, it's water places where water drips from the ceiling above, and they begin as hollow tubes because the water drips kind of slowly from the ceiling, and each droplet comes into contact with the air and loses CO two, mainly at its outer edges. So the calcite the precipitates out of each drop tends to be left behind in a ring shape from where the you know, the droplet emerges. And then over time the straw will get filled in by mineral content. And once this inner straw tube is finally fully blocked and water can no longer drip down the straw through the middle, it will instead have to run along the outside, and this is what causes a stalactite to take on the more familiar conical shape, you know, shaped more like a turnip or a carrot like or not a turnip, more like a parsnip er a carrot. You know, the cone because the water is now going to be running along the outside, but in the early stages, when it still has this hollow tube in the middle, it remains this thin, delicate, long straw shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you know, these are some of the little guys. But of course, especially the large chambers in cartooner caverns, these are just amazing. They're just like you know, we often compare them to cathedrals because that's the scale of these formations that have just been formed over vast periods of time. And you know via this active water flow.
Speaker 3: Now, Rob, which room is it where they've got the formation known as Kubla Khan, the really big column with all of the it looks like a I don't know, a Godzilla sized candle that's been melting.
Speaker 2: I believe this one is in the throne room. So this would have been one that I saw fourteen years ago.
Speaker 3: Okay, no Kubla Khan for you this year.
Speaker 2: No, no, but that really, especially for folks that are thinking of going, like either tour is going to amaze you. You're not gonna you're not going to be hurting.
Speaker 4: For amazing formations.
Speaker 3: So one very interesting, lesser known type of formation that you find in Kartchner is one I wanted to talk about called heliictite.
Speaker 2: Did you see any of this in the cave, Rob, Yes, some of this was pointed out to us, and yeah, this was really amazing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I've got a picture in the outline we can refer to here. This is one that the park uploaded to their Facebook page this year. It didn't say what room it's in, so I can't say exactly where in the cave it comes from. But helictites are again, they're calcite based deposits. They're formed from the same basic chemistry as normal stalactites and stalagmites, but by a different mechanism of deposition. So they're formed less by dripping and more by capillary reaction and seeping. So they do not look like regular stalactites and stalagmites. In fact, to me, they do not look like geology at all. They look like biology. For one thing, they don't have the helictites do not have the straight vertical up and down orientation that you see with stalactites and stalagmites in the picture we've gotten the outline here. What they look like to me are tree roots. It looks like a big, twisting, curling root ball with these tendrils spiraling out into the air from a thicker central column.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a It really does feel like there's some sort of a reaching, a seeking involved here that's more biological than geological, like you said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like a growth pattern looking for water or something. So I was reading about the process that forms helictites on the website of the National Spileeological Society, which you can find at caves dot org. And according to their fact page written by somebody named Dave Bunnel, the term helictite is used to refer to quote contorted depositional spiliothems which grow in any direction defying gravity. And they're also sometimes called non gravitomorphic, so not primarily shaped by gravity. These are the the anti gravity formations. It seems that these start the same way, or basically the same way as the other formations we've been talking about. So you've got the water with dissolved calcite constituents seeping through the porous rock, and at some point it reaches the air filled cavity of the cave where some of the CO two escapes the water and the calcite comes out of solution and mineralizes. But the difference is that helictites are formed in areas where the flow of the water through the rock is very slow. It's slow enough that it's not actually coming out in big masses and having to drip away. So instead of these big droplets that gather at the end of a soda straw or a stalactite and then fall off every few seconds, at the tip of it helictite, you've only got a tiny film of water seeping through and being exposed to the air, and there's so little water that the surface tension causes it to stick to the end of the formation rather than falling off. And then Bunnele writes, quote growth continues through a tiny central capillary channel. So Roub, when you see these little spikes and roots coming off, imagine that in the middle of them there's an extremely tiny, little little tube, you know, not a soda straw size tube, but a tiny, tiny, microscopic little tube, a capillary. And then Bunnele continues, quote, which the solution flows through via hydrostatic and capillary pressure to emerge and deposit calcite at the tip. In higher flow conditions, it can come out. It can come out the tip and travel back along the length of the helic tite, making it thicker. Okay, so that's that's how you get these these formations. But how do you end up with the twisted gravity defying shapes? Like what what's determining the emergence of these shapes? And Bunnel identifies several different causes or possible causes. You mentioned earlier that actually the science of how exactly some cave formations are made is not entirely settled. There are some open questions, and I think it seems in the case of helictite there are still some open questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the one I was referring to for sure. Yeah, where we have some great ideas, but you know, it's hard to observe these in real time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Bunnle identifies several possible causes. One thing is mineral impurities in the calcite might determine, you know, weird patterns of growth. Another is quote wedge shaped crystals causing uneven deposition. So if you've got crystals that don't grow symmetrically, you know, they're kind of growing in a wedge shape. They're going to cause a directional curling as the crystal extends itself. And then also apparently during dry periods, sometimes the central capillary in the formation gets stopped up, so when water resumes flowing through this little spike of rock, it goes not through the middle, but is forced out through a new channel in the side. And if you repeat this over and over, I guess you get gravity defying shapes. And then finally, one thought is air currents. So if there is airflow in the cave, you know, gentle wind in the cave, it could influence a gravity defying direction of growth of a formation like this, maybe because you get asymmetrical evaporation. So if there's faster evaporation on one side of the spike then the other, it could end up causing the spike to essentially grow over time in one direction. And the author notes that sometimes you see helick tites facing all the same direction down a cave passage, kind of like I was imagining, like those spikes that sort of go backwards in the maw of a sea turtle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good comparison. Yeah, Yeah, definitely looks gnarly and adds to this feel of a living cave, of a live cave, because it looks a lot like again, like biological growths to the untrained eye.
Speaker 3: But this is definitely one where I would urge people to go look up a bunch of different pictures of helictites, because they don't all look the same. You get a lot of different kinds of helictites and different Some of them have this melted wax appearance we were talking about, you know, melting candles earlier. Some look like melted wax, some look like worms. You've ever seen that. I remember there is a picture I've looked at many times that I think is hosted somewhere in a Japanese parasite museum that is like a marine mammal stomach that is erupting with parasitic worms, and they preserved this and formaldehyde, I believe. So I'm just thinking of that because I'm currently looking at a picture we have in our outline of a cave in Australia that has a bunch of white calcite helic tites growing out of a cave wall. Looks exactly like that stomach erupting with worms.
Speaker 2: It does look like some sort of strange Eldric horror, doesn't it. All Right, well, let's uh, let's move on to an actual form of life, of biological life that is found in the caves. Let's talk a bit about bats. And but before we do, I want to come back to something you asked me about in the last episode.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You asked me if the bats at Cartoner Cavern came and went via the same sinkhole and tiny blowhole as the human explorers. Yeah, I said yes, and that is correct. But I want to share another great bit from Miller's book that discusses this. So Miller points out that the bats would frequently come in and out of that blowhole on summer evenings to forage for insects. Toughsentinan, the two explorers and discoverers of Cartoon Caverns would sometimes sit at the top of the sinkhole around this time and they would just watch the bats. Uh. Yeah, that sounds sounds cool, sounds very relaxing. But then there's this I'm gonna read from the book here. Quote Tough Santenan's roommate Brad Barber describes leaving through the blow Whole crawlway just before sunset on his first visit to Xanadu and feeling something brush against his face. When there was finally enough space above his head so he could turn and look back, he saw a line of bats coming through the crawlway at surprising speed. By the time he reached the sinkhole quote, they were pouring out like a washing machine. He recalled. A couple other things I want to mention just real quick before you get into the gritty details about this particular bat species. It is a threatened species and they're roosting in the cave. Served as a biological imperative for the Arizona Nature Conservancy Board to act regarding Kartchner caverns, So it does play. Their presence there plays an important role in the conservation efforts. But also we've been talking about bats being like the only mammal to access the caves, and for the most part that is true, you know, up until humans too. Humans in particular found their way down, but they aren't the only mammals to ever access the caves. So bones of a thirty four thousand year old horse and an eighty thousand year old Shasta ground sloth have been discovered in Cartenter caverns, clearly dating back to a time when there was some other access point besides the blowhole, and also to a time when the surface vegetation an environment was somewhat different. The sloth would have accessed the cave during the Pleistocene epoch, so a long time ago, and I think it's unknown exactly like what its story is, how it ended up to come into these caves and die. I think when Tussan Tinan first discovered the bones, they thought it was a bison, and so for a while they were to discovered that there was to refer to as the bison bones. And it was only later that someone came in and said, oh, this is not a bison, this is a sloth.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, well, I'm trying to picture the ground slows doing the coat hangar maneuver.
Speaker 2: But some big animals can squeeze, but I don't think that's how this one got in.
Speaker 3: No, Okay, So yeah, they think it was probably closed and it had been opened and then was closed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Rob, the other day you suggested I look into the cave system's key bat species. Of course there are multiple bat species that go into the cave sometimes, but the vast majority of the bats in there are this one species, and this species is the only one that roosts does seasonal maternity roosting in the cave, and that species is Myotis velafer, the name of which means something like mouse eared sail bearer. So the genus name Miotis is from the Greek for mouse ear, and the species name velafer comes from the Latin vellum and fera to carry a sale. More commonly, these bats are known as the cave Myotis and they are found in populations throughout the southwestern United States, Mexico, and Central America.
Speaker 2: I think I may mention this already, but I've only seen photos of these bats as they were not there on my recent visit to Kartchner. My past visit was to other chambers the rotunda in the throne room, but this time I was in the chamber where the bats would be during their seasonal roosting. But again, when the bats are about to come back, they shut everything down in there, They take the lights out. Nobody goes in inside there until or at least you know, tours don't go inside there until the bats are well done with what they need to do.
Speaker 3: So regarding their appearance, most of the sources I was looking at classify them as medium or medium to large bats, which I found funny because in the pictures I'm looking at they look very small. But yeah, maybe I don't know, maybe just the general scale of bats runs to the smaller end, but they are thought of as a medium to large insectivorous bats. Insect eating bat with brown and black fur on the back and usually some paler coloration on the belly. The color patterns, I think, vary across the animal's geographic range. It has short pointed ears and tiny little beady eyes. And once again this is a subject that's worth an image search because the cave myotis in a lot of the pictures you can find. It's hitting a very funny pose. It's got the mouth halfway open showing a bunch of little pinpoint teeth, like it's just kind of like, hey, what's up, guys. It's got a very like time to party appearance. I guess, on a more sour note, that's probably like the animals showing a face of extreme distress at being photographed and captured, but anyway, so the males are typically smaller than the females. Mating generally occurs in the fall, but females will often store sperm until spring, and then pregnant females usually gather in communal maternity roosts of several thousand individuals in the spring and in the early summer to give birth. These roosts are most often in caves, but of course the species will make do with other structures like abandoned buildings or mines, bridges, and things like that. I mentioned this a minute ago. They're insectivorous, so they will eat insects of all kinds, including flies and mosquitoes, moths, beetles, and weavils, which they hunt by echolocation. To learn more about their role in Krchner caverns in particular, I dug up a scientific paper from nineteen ninety nine published in the Journal of Cave and Kars Studies by the bat researchers Ronnie Sidner and Debbie Butcher, called Bats of Carchinger Cavern State Park, Arizona. The point of this study was to establish a basic observational account and inventory of the bats living in the caves before the caves were developed for the public. At the time, Carchner Caverns was a summer maternity roost for somewhere between one thousand and two thousand miotis vela for bats every year. I think usually closer to the lower end of that range. I don't know if the numbers have changed significantly since the years of the study, but you know you're going to be usually getting like one thoy fifteen hundred something like that. Bats coming to give birth every summer. There every spring or summer, so between April and mid September, the pregnant females of this population return to the cave to give birth and raise their young. The paper notes that these bats are crucial to the cave ecosystem because of their poop, because of the guano they provide. So bats fly in to roost in the spring and summer. The bats poop, and their poop provides nutrients that form the basis of the complex invertebrate food web inside the cave. In other words, the rest of the fauna, the obligate invertebrates and the other things that live in the cave could not survive without the bats. Their guano is the basis of it all. So the loss of a roosting bat population would probably cause the collapse of the entire cave ecosystem. You know this has come up on the show before. But try to imagine continuing our top side food web if the sun stopped shining. You know, you're just like now, you are missing a crucial base level input on the creation of food resources.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Baguano is sunshine. I believe we've put it that way before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So many caves in general, and this cave in particular, are highly dependent on their roosting bat populations to provide nutrients and support the food web there, and some species of bats can be very sensitive to human disturbance of roosting caves. The author is run through a basic background of cave roosting research, which has found, among other things, that female bats will often try to select a roost with high temperature and humidity because as a moist, high warm environment it helps their newborns grow. That's good for their offspring. And remember what we mentioned about the climate inside carchon or caverns. It's very often quite warm and quite moist inside. You know, you can get areas of the cave that are like seventy one degrees fahrenheit and ninety nine percent humidity, and the authors of this paper found that in their they found in their research that bats often seek the warmest, highest humidity spots within the cave for rearing young.
Speaker 2: It was pointed out to me on the tour as well that once they have found the cave, once they're in the cave, the exact place where they'll roost for their young, essentially where they'll give birth and all, it's going to be. It's going to be pretty high up too, like which part of the cave has the biggest fall possible for young bats, just you know, getting their fly on.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that also has to do with heat rising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it may it may well be a factor as well.
Speaker 3: Just a guess there. That could be wrong.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But they also say that our research has found female bats tend to be loyal to their favored roost, so if they find a good roost location, they're going to come back again and again across the years. Bats are especially vulnerable around the time of parturition, around the time they give birth. Right after they give birth, there is a small time window in which the mothers imprint on the sound and smell of their newborns and the author's right quote. If disturbed prior to this bonding, the female may not recognize her offspring and therefore will not attempt to care for it. So you know, that's one reason that especially around the time these bats are giving birth, it's a highly sensitive time for them. Also, if disturbed right after birth, bats may try to relocate to either a different part of the cave that seems more protected, or may try to leave the cave entirely if something is garring them there, and whatever location they moved to is probably not going to be as ideal in terms of temperature, humidity, or other environmental conditions. Also, mothers may drop their young during transport, which can lead to juvenile mortality. In fact, I think they were citing research that this happens very often if mothers have newborns that are not able to fly yet and they try to move them around or transport them somewhere, they very often get dropped. So you don't want to be scaring bats that have just given birth. So you get this mounting sense of interlocking dependence and fragility. So much depends upon things being chill for the bats. The cave system depends on the roosting bats, and the bat population is especially sensitive at the time around the birth of new young so there's just a lot of vulnerability here. The authors of the paper talk about a bunch of the methods they use to try to count and study the bats without disturbing them. For example, they so they rigorously tried to avoid being in the cave at the same time as the bats. They did not venture inside the cave during roosting season. Instead, they collected information about the bats during the off season through secondary measures like tracking the seasonal accumulation of guano and counting the numbers of dead bats on the cave floor under roosting areas, and then during the roosting season they did study them, but not inside the cave. They tried to create an estimated inventory by sitting outside the cave at the sinkhole and having somebody there with a laptop just counting bats observed flying in and out, which sounds like a wonderfully tedious job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to get the undergrads on that one, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But then there's just in this section there's an understatedly adorable observation. So they're tracking the number of entrances and exits from the cave across the season, and they write, quote, it is suspected that the increase in the number of exiting bats from June slash July to August is partially due to the presence of young bats beginning to fly. Also, in the last episode, I mentioned an observation of a natural predator attacking the bats at Kartchner, so I wanted to come back and fill in some detail on that. This is in the spring of nineteen ninety one. The authors say that they noticed bats starting to arrive on schedule in April and May, but then they write quote, However, in late May, the exit flights became delayed sporadic, and the total population size declined. On June fourth, the carcasses of forty five dead bats were found near the bat window. We removed these from the cave to determine the cause of death. Observers counting bats on the next two nights watched a ringtail species Basariskus a studus leave the cave. The following evening, we used a night vision scope and observe the ringtail sitting directly in the bat window. Apparently this animal was responsible for killing the bats, and it's made especially I don't know, kind of sad, but also funny if you know what a ringtail looks like, because they're adorable. They look like little squirrel, raccoon, kitty cats. They got big ears and big eyes and the striped pattern on their tails. But they are little predators.
Speaker 2: So this little guy was hanging out like on or in the sinkhole and kind of like reaching out and grabbing snacks out of the bat's flight paths.
Speaker 3: It doesn't give any more detail. I don't think they observed exactly what it was doing, but that's my guess. So if it's hanging out at this narrow window that the bats have to crawl or pass through to get in and out of the cave, I'd imagine yes, it's just like sitting there and swatting them as they come through. Though, it says, you know, if they found forty how many dead bats they found, like forty five dead bats, it sounds like this predator is killing more bats than it needs to eat. I don't know if it was practicing or what.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, we've discussed this before in different mammals where sometimes if there's an abundant prey, an animal will not just say oh, I'm good enough, they will know they'll kill quite a few.
Speaker 3: They're not crunching the numbers on what they need, they're just they're probably just like acting on an instinct to it. Yeah. So the researchers did not interfere here, and the ringtail left the cave after June sixth, but the bat population continued to decline for a while. They say, quote the bat population reached a minimum on the fourteenth of June, when only forty nine bats were counted leaving the cave. In other years, a bat count at this time was about one thousand bats, so huge impact from this ringtail. And the authors point out that this is an example of how delicate the roosting population is and how badly an external interference can harm it. I mean, this isn't a human thing. This is a natural predator coming in and exploiting this one. You know, this choke point on entering and exiting the cave. And they say that after this, after the ringtail left, the bat population slowly increased again, reaching around four hundred in July, but a lot of the bats were gone and that doesn't necessarily mean they were dead. I think a lot probably tried to relocate to somewhere that seemed safer but may not actually have been as good in terms of, you know, raising their young. And so they say this was the lowest year for bat populations that they recorded. However, there's something telling about the fact that a few hundred bats apparently came back even after their roosting cave temporarily became this little, you know, kitty cat type animal death trap. They say this increase in numbers despite the threat of predation may indicate that carchiner caverns is superior to other nearby roosts.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, that is fascinating though.
Speaker 3: So yeah, even though they had a ringtail nightmare, they still wanted to get back in.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, I mentioned that we would eventually consider other planets in this episode. So I want to come back to our explorers again. Our explorers. Our two discoverers of cartooner caverns were cavers Gary Teenen and Randy Tufts. And of these two, Randy Tuffs also stands out due to his contributions to space exploration. So I'm going to mention a little bit more about his biography, but both both men are very fascinating individuals that have done a lot of things. But I'm going to focus in on Tufts here. He was a University of Arizona geology graduate. I think seventy two is when he graduated. After that he worked in public service for a while, but he was apparently always something of a space husiast. Miller points out that one of Tuff's defining characteristics, on top of just being very obsessive, like he would really like this is a guy that set out to find a cave. He's like, I want to discover a cave, and he did not stop until it had happened in a major way. But also he said that this is a guy that would often go straight to the top on matters. So if he liked a book, like he was reading a novel and he thought it was good, he would be the sort of person to look up the phone number of the author so that he could call them and tell them that he liked the book. This also played into their conservation efforts, like he was like, well, we should go and just actually talk to the Governor of Arizona about the Xanadu situation, and they did it at one point, and in nineteen seventy seven, when he had the space bug again in a major way, during a hitch hiking trip in the eastern United States, he tried to get an appointment to speak to one of his personal heroes, Carl Sagan, and when he could not get such an appointment, he just waited for Carl Sagan in the parking lot outside of his office and then supposedly came up to him and said, Hey, how might someone with a background in geology and community find happiness in the space program? And Sagan reportedly replied, I haven't the foggiest which makes sense trying to get home here. I don't know who this guy is. It's just wandered up. This hitchhiker's asking me about careers in space. But however this went down that the two ended up corresponding, so it wasn't a complete getaway from me a situation or anything like that, which also speaks to you know, one of the other things about him is that he was He alluded to him this question is like he was involved in a lot of like community issues, so I think he definitely know he was a researcher for sure, and could crunch data and look at maps and everything. But I think he also value that personal connection, like let me talk to somebody about this. So the two corresponded, and then in nineteen ninety, at age forty two, Tufts went back to the University of Arizona as a grad student in geosciences with the hope of getting to work on efforts to study the Jovian Moon of Europa. And there was the idea. His big hope was that he could get on with the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planet Terry Laboratory. But this was his new laser focuss, like I found a cave if I wanted to find a cave, found it. Now I really want to study Europa. He was just obsessed with it, particularly obsessed with the idea that there might be life on Europa. That's what I thought, which is something that Sagan of course had been talking about and writing about.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in ninety three, according to the book here, he showed up at the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory and said, hey, I want to work on Europa. Went straight to the top talked to the guy running it, and at the time no one was really focusing a lot on Europa. But then two years later the Galileo probe reached Jupiter and its moons, and things started changing. We started getting all this data back. So Tuffs came back to the lab. He ends up joining up with them, working on his thesis there and helping the team analyze all of these images coming in from Europa. So now in his second career, following the Cave, as he always called it, he would just prefer to Cartner as the Cave, Tuffs discovered what he would then just always refer to as the Fault, an eight hundred and ten kilometer long fault line on the surface of Europa near its south pole that came to be known as the And I'm going to admit I did not look up the pronunciation for this Asta Palaa Linnaea. This is a name for Astapalaya, the sister of Europa and Greek mythology. Both are Phoenician princesses. Okay, so Asta Palaia linea. It's about the size of the California portion of the San Andreas Fault, and the important detail according to Miller is that Tuffs and the team who was working with here, they a model that indicated that this fault line in Europe's icy surface could not have developed unless there was a large body of water under the surface of Europa. You know, its tides pulled by a Jovian gravity to force these cracks in the ice as things went up and went down. And so the possibility of a liquid ocean beneath the surface of Europe a really picks up steam at this point due to these observations in these models.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now my understanding is there had already been like suspicion that there may be a subsurface ocean, but this was like a big piece of evidence in its.
Speaker 2: Favor, right. I think that the idea, the hypothesis that there might be an ocean under the surface of Europe, it dates back at least of the nineteen seventies, like early nineteen seventies, that's I think that's when Sagan was talking about it and other individuals were considering the possibility. But this just provided a whole new level of evidence. Yeah, so Tough's so yeah, two major discoveries in Tough's life here, Carshner, Caverns and then this fault line on Europa and all the additional information we could glean from that. So I think it's really a compelling story a man who ultimately lived a short life and had these two amazing careers because he hearned his PhD in geosciences at the University of Arizona at age fifty and then sadly passed three years after that in two thousand and two due to a rare blood disease which actually is the same blood disease that Carl Sagan had died for died from earlier at the age of sixty two. So Tufts was taken too soon. But his accomplishments again very impressive. His obsession, his curiosity, his scientific commitment, I think all of that is an inspiration. And for his part, Gary Tinen has remained an active figure in Arizona conservation and in the Arizona conservation community, so he's still out there getting things done and is involved in various Arizona based efforts. So yeah, but both of these two I think are really admirable, So you know, hats off to them. And if nothing else, I still cannot imagine crawling through the spaces that these two crawled through to find entry into Cartoner caverns.
Speaker 3: I was about to say we have not yet heard from many cavers in the audience in response to our first episode, but wait a minute. The first one hasn't published out when we're recording this, So.
Speaker 2: That's right, we're the spoiler for everyone out there or a little you know, insight into how the sausage is made. We used to put out episodes with less lead time, less buffer, less time to put it together. Now we're like a week out, so used.
Speaker 3: To market sometimes sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, used to we would put out part one and then we would do part two while people were listening to part one, and so you know, we could get the in between mail and I guess there's just less possibility of that, but still we do want to hear from cavers of all varieties, and also other folks that have visited this in other Arizona caves, other caves throughout the United States and the world. Because there's so many amazing cave systems around the world, some of them have become important educational and recreational destinations.
Speaker 3: You if you're a listener to the show, you probably know the kinds of things we find interesting. So write us your favorite cave facts or your Robin Joe targeted cave facts and your own splunking stories please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cave movies, all of it's fair game. All right. Well, we're gonna go ahead and close the book on this topic. But just a reminder to everyone out there. Stuff to Blow Your Mind is a science and culture podcast primarily, and we've we've been around for years and years. You can find our audio archives wherever you get your audio podcasts, just so many episodes going back throughout the years. However, you get the podcast rate and review that really helps us out. And if you're slash listening on Netflix, what can they do, Joe, they can there's some thumbs up they can give us.
Speaker 3: You can sure we'll get you obviously, positive ratings are appreciated. But there's a button called remind Me you can hit on Netflix to get new episodes of our show. I believe that's the Netflix equivalent of subscribing to the podcast. Of course, if you are listening to the audio version of the show, subscribe wherever you get your podcasts please, I mean, obviously only if you want to. Don't feel pressure, but it is very for us. It's great to you do it feel the pressure, thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, to send us cavefacts, to send us your own Cave anecdotes, or just to let us know how you found out about the show, what you like about it. Contact at Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.