Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just you. I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeart Radio Podcast. Say Scott, you know okay, okay, say bye, have a good show. Yeah, say bye, I have a good show.
Speaker 1: Bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 3: My name is who?
Speaker 2: Okay, say bye, say bye, good bye.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I love you guys, love you, love you, love you your podcast stars now.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, they're like, do we get to talking to that bakerphone?
Speaker 2: So? I love you See you in a little bit.
Speaker 1: They're so cute.
Speaker 2: Did you hear her? Burt?
Speaker 1: How old? How old was she.
Speaker 2: Six and a half? And then her sister's eight and a half?
Speaker 1: Such a great age?
Speaker 2: What is yours? Nine?
Speaker 1: Ten? He just turned?
Speaker 3: Oh double digits?
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody. Scott Patterson, aimal and podcast one of them productions, iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcast Seeds seven, Episode twenty LAURLILRELEI.
Speaker 3: I loved it. It was good.
Speaker 1: That's everybody. Just calm down, Just calm down. Let me get through this. My intrepid crew, Amy Sugarman, Danielle Romo, Suzanne French And there's Scott Patterson right there, Hi, Scott, how you doing? Uh? Tara? Where's Tara is Tara.
Speaker 4: She'll be here soon.
Speaker 2: She's going to be in the room with you, Daniel.
Speaker 4: We're going to be trading places for.
Speaker 2: She's coming in and then I'm gonna have.
Speaker 4: To leave and then I'll be back on.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, musical.
Speaker 4: I know it's gonna be musical. Fourth A.
Speaker 1: Seriously, what's with the room you're in? Why are you in a basement at the CIA?
Speaker 4: Tell you Dora and I had to go into the office today, so I'm in essentially a storage closet.
Speaker 2: But also a ka. You can say what it is.
Speaker 4: Can I? Yeah, it's Ryan Seacrest's dressing room, but we're it's about to be completely renovated, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want to redecorate it and put some wallpaper up and make it like really viby and cool.
Speaker 4: So this is pre pre renovation.
Speaker 1: Wow, can you show us some maybe some you just want to hang garbage in the background, Ryan Seacrest.
Speaker 4: It's literally a storage close right now.
Speaker 2: It will be a.
Speaker 1: Really cool they go in high style.
Speaker 4: It will be cool soon.
Speaker 2: Do you have a nice dressing room when you do your show? You see your new show, your CW show, Sullivan's Crossing. Is it a trailer or a dressing room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not the big, big trailer. It's like the half a trailer.
Speaker 2: It's not like the Simon cow bus he used to have at.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh no, no no.
Speaker 2: Does it have its own potty?
Speaker 1: Of course it does.
Speaker 2: Who would know. Does it have a kitchen?
Speaker 1: It doesn't have a kitchen, but it has a sink and it has.
Speaker 2: A refrigerating Okaytor Garner making full meals in hers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they have these big pop out trailers just star wagons. There's huge trailers, you know.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to tell you a little trivia about star wagons? Yes, okay, yes, I think we've probably talked about this in pop culture at some point. But Wonder Woman starred Linda Carter and Lyle Wagoner as Steve Trevor, and then after he invented star wagons. That's why they have two g's.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and people that don't know what star wagons are. Every actor that's done a production since this what the same news or the eighties or whatever uses the star wagon as their.
Speaker 2: You know, genius invention because he probably made a fortune. Oh now I have to google Lyle Wagner Network m h Well, you continue, and they have.
Speaker 1: Things called three bangers, so there's three trailers in one trailer, and then they have double bangers, which is two trailers in one trailer, two rooms. And then they have you know, your big room, which is what the stars get, right, the big and then there's like different levels of the big trailers. So like at Denzel Washington will basically have his own city built for him made out of trailers.
Speaker 2: And you have half of one.
Speaker 1: I have, well, everybody has a half one on Sullivan's. We're not quite at the point yet where we have all.
Speaker 2: This says at the time of his death, which I didn't realize he died. That's very sad. He was worth forty million, pretty good. I bet he made a lot of that off those star wagons.
Speaker 1: Forty mil doesn't stink, that.
Speaker 2: Does not does. He was a handsome guy too.
Speaker 1: Wow, he was. He was stunning, he really was he.
Speaker 2: Anyway, join us next week.
Speaker 1: For more useless crap. Yeah, anyway, can we talk about that that poster behind you? I love that poster behind you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. I'm in a rental, so I'm in Tahoe, but my house I have a very small house here and it's full because my nieces are here and my brother and my sister in law and my mom. So good old me has to rent another place down the like. It's in the same community. And I was at a different place last night, but then someone was coming into this one, so I had to run. That's why I look a wreck. I had to run to this one. But I know there's like a scheme.
Speaker 4: Wait, that's so fun. Why are you guys all there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because remember when we were supposed to take vacation fourth of July, Danielle and I had to work the whole time. No.
Speaker 3: Uh, we just came for a little.
Speaker 2: Trip my friend's fiftieth birthday. Shout out to Sarah Painting. Suzanne, you're also in a weird place.
Speaker 3: Where are you? Yes, I am also in a rental and not too far from Tahoe. I'm in Reno there. What are you guys doing so well? My son goes to college up here and he started band camp and so we came back up yesterday to move him back.
Speaker 2: Do you know one of our producers went to un R I did know that. Actually, she's a total baller. She's like so legit.
Speaker 3: Okay, I met her on the very first time I recorded with you guys. She was on that call.
Speaker 2: What's band camp other than something funny from American Pot.
Speaker 3: Well, he's in the marching band and he's in the leadership so they have like a two day leadership session thing and then the rest of the band will come check in on Sunday.
Speaker 2: So he's in the UNR marching band. H that's pretty legit. What's his instrument.
Speaker 3: He mostly plays alto sacks, but he also plays tenor sometimes.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, fantastic Speaking of alto sacks, what about a synopsisization?
Speaker 2: Wait while you guys do that, I'm just moving my fan a tiny bit closer because I'm having a hot flash or I'm just hot I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well she's having our hot flash.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: iHeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app. I gets anopsize before I might have to jump. Should I go for it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Go for it.
Speaker 4: This is Season seven, Episode twenty Lorelai Lorelei Air date May one, two thousand and seven. With Rory fretting over her future after graduation, Loralai decides to cheer up with a day of shopping, eating, and karaoke, and Zach gets an opportunity of a lifetime and Luke's summer boat trip gets canceled. Plus and unexpect did question from Logan that could change Rory's life forever. I feel like every storyline in this episode was beyond.
Speaker 1: No yeah, no, no good strong episode. Really. I think David Rosenthal wrote a great episode, and it was it was your muted, Amy.
Speaker 2: What I muted? I'm singing? Could you not hear me singing? It muted my singing microphone and knew, I literally knew I was singing.
Speaker 1: Have one of those microphones If you're off k it just shuts down.
Speaker 2: I'll just speak it and I will always love that.
Speaker 4: I thought Lauren Graham in that moment, like having to sing when you don't really, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: As Lauren Graham went onto that later on to that singing show that the name has escaped to.
Speaker 3: Me Zoe's extraordinary playlist.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she sang again.
Speaker 1: Shed she was in a musical. Yeah, she's guys and dolls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she like not like she was not singing like a singer.
Speaker 1: Correct, she was singing like Laura la not like Lauren. O.
Speaker 4: Gosh, it's so good.
Speaker 2: That's even harder.
Speaker 4: It's like, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: And the Dolly version is a little different than the Whitney version too.
Speaker 2: So correct. I thought this was a great episode, especially after coming off of the one I didn't love as much.
Speaker 4: This was very This was for me very season three and four. This was great.
Speaker 2: I like your descriptor correct.
Speaker 1: The opening was very experimental, very very French in some ways.
Speaker 3: Very loved the dream dream. I could totally relate to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a kick in the parents to see uh, Paris and Doyle with kids sitting in the kitchen. Oh hi, Roy, give her her Walmart costume.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm out of here. I'm going to Hawaii.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to be back, right, It's good.
Speaker 2: We just go through it.
Speaker 1: What do you want to do, guys, Well, that's why we're here.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So dream sequence in the beginning, I just loved all the juxtapositions. She's at children, but she's a grown up. She's got what's her name's Doyle and Paris living in her kitchen with their kids. Yeah. I thought it was a great scene.
Speaker 2: And we had what's his face back and I'm so sorry to say, what's his face.
Speaker 1: Who's what's his face?
Speaker 2: The guy from Chilton.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, headmaster, Charles, head master.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you come back.
Speaker 3: And she walks like straight from the classroom into larealized palas. I just I liked that scene. I thought it was I'm not.
Speaker 2: A huge like it was a dream fan, but I didn't hate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seen, but it was it was, you know, a little change of gears kind.
Speaker 2: Of that was sort of like cute, fine, you know, it takes me back to your first kiss, which was in a dream scene, which I said, I'm always not thrilled with. It's like it's the old like did you have to write a story in third grade? And then the end you're like and it was a dream like. It was always the little like way out, and it's kind of like.
Speaker 3: Let's better.
Speaker 1: Look at the family friendly show trying to be all interesting. Isn't that cute?
Speaker 3: So then after the opening credits were at Emily and Richard's house and Richard is hard attack all gone, Richard's all back to new back to you know, his old self. He's got a clean bill of health. I really liked Rory's dress. I know, people like were getting on me because I didn't like Laurela's dress in the last episode, but I loved Rory's blue dress in this scene. It was really pretty. And this is where she tells the all three of them, Lorelei and Richard and Emily that she didn't get the internship. So that was yeah for her, And of course, you know, Richard and Emily are outraged. How could that happen?
Speaker 2: I know, this was a good scene though. This is a good scene, and I actually think it was you know, she sort of delivered that subtly and it had more impact.
Speaker 4: You're like, yeah, I did think it was funny that Emily and Richard were also talking about nepotism. I'm like, that is so with the trends nowadays.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: So I'm not down with this. Rory's a failure kind of thing. I mean, it's okay to struggle a little bit. Yeah, but I just I always think, and forgive me, but I always think how much more interesting it would be if she did get the job.
Speaker 2: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: And she did move to New York and it created more complications for Logan and her relocating, and I.
Speaker 2: Totally agree with you, and it doesn't for the Yeah, and it doesn't track for the character. So it's my one doesn't.
Speaker 1: Track for the character, and ve why look and Laura are going to get married? When's when's Rory going to be successful? It has the same impact.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm gonna say it now. It is the biggest sort of huh in the movies whatever you want to call them, you know, the movies, We'll just call them the movies, is this is the start of Rory's sort of like career trajectory, and it just does not track at all with who Rory has been and the Rory we know. I find it to be a weird decision. And I'm curious because obviously maybe Amy Sherman Palladino was going this way with the character because this new group went that way, but they continued it in the movie. So if Amy didn't like it, I would think she would change it from the movies, and she didn't. So it was like, so weird.
Speaker 1: It's odd to be so deeply invested into a character. And you could argue that, you know, Rory's the lead of the show. I mean, you know, you could easily switch the numbers right, one becomes two to two, it becomes one or there's two number one, So there's either narrative is as impactful and key to the success of the show. And to do that to to Rory, I think really, and I think if an audience, if a fan base begins disliking a character, whose fault is that, you know what I mean? Is it the writing?
Speaker 2: Is it the actor question?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? And do you really want to go down that road? So I think she suffers a far worse fate as a character than Luke and Laurel. I do because they never ended up getting married. I think there was, you know, a temporary down trend in you know, fan reaction or fan loyalty to the Luke and Laurel narrative when they when he was disengaging and not including her in the April thing and you know, what a jerk and he's you know, taking his hits here and now. But they got back together. But but Rory, it's like, this is a this is a downward trend that she doesn't seem to be able to get out of.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's such an interesting question.
Speaker 1: Why we're watching our beloved Rory in a downward spiral that she can't get out of and we're just why she's always.
Speaker 2: Been a straight a student went to Yale. Like, I'm sorry, but she would get a job, some job just based off the fact that she's and she probably did very well at Yale. We don't exactly know, but it's like she's going to get a job and the fact that she sort of doesn't is kind of weird so far, right, Like now, I know we did talk about it, like, look, going for the New York Times is a lofty place, that's the crem of cream of the crop, right, But I think there's plenty of papers, news stations, all kinds of things where she could have gotten a great job and really been on her way. So maybe not the New York Times, but maybe w ABC, you know what I mean. It's so weird that the character isn't thriving.
Speaker 1: And now so pathetic, actually pathetic begging for a job at the.
Speaker 2: Absolutely hard.
Speaker 1: It's hard to watch. And that's not why I'm watching this show, you know, I'm watching the show for other reasons because I know what I'm going to get even within, you know, the absurdity that that Amy and Dan achieve, and the and the existential absurdity that they achieved. It's Kirk and Patty and Sally and more all that stuff, But you're messing with a lead character like that, it's.
Speaker 2: Counterintuitive to what the show really is. Because what the show is in its core, right, is this mother and daughter, very young mother, teen daughter, right, and and the comes from all this wealth, and this is the straight A kid. This is the kid. Yes, she has a few hiccups along the way, but she's like the good kid that's best friends with her mom and gets straight a's and gets into Harvard and Yale. It's this whole trajectory of like, Loralai raised this amazing kid, right despite all the odds. So it's so weird that like, as we're coming to the end, she's failing now like what Like it's just so weird and like.
Speaker 1: Like allow her to succeed and place obstacles in front of her as she's succeeding, and give us the fear of death that she's going to get fired from the New York Times. But then something miraculous happened. So there's all kinds of like if they did the Yale Daily Newsroom that well and created so much comedy and so much drama, and so much feeling in that dynamic. They could have done it even better with The New York Times because there's more to work with there.
Speaker 2: Thank you, because you told us at this time, you did not know that you weren't coming back. So why are they setting up Ry to be a failure. They should have gotten she should maybe not the New York Times, right, but get her a job at the Chronicle or the Chicago Sun Times, whatever it is to tee us up for like maybe season eight. So weird, Like what, okay, so she's just gonna go back to start. It's just weird.
Speaker 3: I just have to point out we do still have two episodes.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, correct, right right.
Speaker 3: I understand it's too early to say that she's a failure because there's more coming.
Speaker 1: I'll just I'm okay, so here's my sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, I was just gonna say, I actually don't mind watching Rory's struggle. I don't like those people that are because you're s I've just you know, as a parent of you know, college aged kids, I've seen it happen, like those super intense kids self destruct like it just it's not it's not unrealistic. And Rory has had this life where first Laurel I, and then Richard and Emily and the town like they all put her on this pedalcl like you are the most glorious creature that ever landed on the earth, and then she started to believe it.
Speaker 1: So that mean okay, But let me ask you this, Susanne. Let me ask you this. Let me ask you this. Not to interrupt, but let me ask you this what I think Amy and I are saying. And I don't mean to put words in your mouth because nobody needs to put words in that.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to have you.
Speaker 1: There plenty of words there. How does this you asked yourself, how does this show? How does Gilmore Girls operate best? Does it operate best as a drama or does it operate best and realistic drama depicting real life? Or does it operate best as a light, breezy sort of comedic fantasy. Second second, I agree, and that's when, and and also another another you know, uh truth about a show? Or if you if you want to use a really bad analogy which is dead on as the stock market, what if you know Apple drops one hundred points, it's going to bring the whole market down. So the really big stocks are going to bring the whole market down when the market if it has a bad earnings report. Okay, she's apple, She's Rory is the apple of the Gilmore Girls stock market. And if she's going down, the show goes down. So that's all I'm saying. There's a macro at a micro and the macro is you don't I don't really think you want to mess with the lead characters in this way, you know, because you're you're dangling the character far too close to disaster, and that's not what the show is about for me. Anyway, that's my.
Speaker 2: Two is any the first? Then I'll say my piece.
Speaker 3: Well, I was just gonna say I understand that perspective, and I agree with it to a certain extent, But I also want to say, like Rory's personality started changing several seasons ago, this isn't a change for her because when she went to Yale and you know, started living this rich life that Emily and Richard exposed her to, she lost that humility. If you look at the Rory in like season five, six seven, it's very different than the Rory that was at Chilton. And so the fact that she didn't get the fellowship. I didn't have a problem with that because it's like I said, I don't mind seeing her struggle. She told Laurel I that she said herself that she got cocky and she was, you know, basically believing her own hype.
Speaker 1: And but how was that funny? How is that entertaining? Well, so what I was saying, I'm I'm in it for some laugh, to feel good, to be enlightened, to you know, to enjoy the time that I'm spending with the characters. I'm not in it to get down and to that degree, because that's right, and I get your point. You are right, the character did change, and I'm not saying that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Make a yeah, And we've got a couple episodes. Still my bigger beef with this same topic. Stay tuned because when we get to the movies, I will really go off on this topic because that's where I'm like, what has happened to our girl? Like, truly, what is going on?
Speaker 1: It's not what you know. If if we want to go down, down, down, do it with lesser characters. If they want to really go down like this anyway, Tara joins us. Hello, Tara, it's been a minute, we've missed you. Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, welcome back Tara to come back.
Speaker 2: Tom has subbed in for Danielle. Like it's a like we're in a soccer game here.
Speaker 1: He said, Susanne, you're one hundred percent right. It's just how I want to consume this show. Yeah, where I think it. I think it works at its best. You know, I like to ski the deep powder, you know, you like the groomers. It's all good.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a good analogy, good analogy.
Speaker 3: There is a lot of Rory hate out there in the fandom because basically what you're saying, like, they feel that she they ruined the character basically because they, you know, kind of changed her personality or changed her perspective. I'm just saying it's not something brand new that happened in this episode. It happened several seasons ago and has been gradual. But I you know, I think definitely a lot of people are on board with you in that opinion.
Speaker 1: Okay, So imagine all the mothers and daughters watch the show together, bonding over this show, repairing their relationships or just bonding even deeper with great relationships, and they're worshiping this show, right, and that's what mothers and daughters have been doing since two thousand. Okay, generations of younger aspirational girls bonding with their mothers watching these two characters. And to do this to that character and to disappoint the fan base to that degree on such a deep level, I think is not a good idea. I just I am not I'm not down with it. I think it was a bad, bad.
Speaker 2: Choice, Juzanne. Do the fans think that the character was ruined kind of along the seasons of Gilmour Girls or with the movies? Because I really feel it in the movies. I would agree with you, Amy.
Speaker 5: I think that if it was left here with Rory's storyline, I would have been not happy. But I think that it was ruined more with the movies. Yeah, for me, that was just ever razy.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people I think there's a spectrum of opinions, obviously, but a lot of people think it really started much earlier than that, when she slept with Dean and she was like, oh why Dean, like, you know, to have Dean because he was her boyfriend first, and then it kind of snowballed from there and then once she was hanging out with Logan and now she's stealing yachts. She would never have come up with the idea to steal a yacht if she wasn't with Logan, like the children would never have come up with that idea.
Speaker 2: But she sure thought of the idea to sleep with Dean all on her own. So my thing is like, the character is not perfect. Rory has flaws. Sorry if I sound so loud, Rory has flaws. That being said, those flaws, I was sort of like, those were intriguing teenage twenty something flaws. This is sort of.
Speaker 1: Just it's a different show. It's a different show thing for me, it's a different show.
Speaker 2: I didn't mind the sleeping with Dean or the yacht stealing. Found it kind of interesting to the character. I was like, oh, okay, she's making mistakes. This is sort of like this girl's going to get a job, and she's too smart to have turned down a job betting on another. That's not what the decision Rory would have made. Yeah, what's it the saying too in the hand is worth? What is that one.
Speaker 1: In a basket is worth one one two in the hand is worth?
Speaker 2: I don't know what, don't cut off your face despite your nose.
Speaker 1: No, don't cut off your right, don't throw.
Speaker 3: The baby out with the bath water, right, But yeah, I mean I guess I just figured for that. The rest of fellowship specifically, there's only four people in the entire country, right, right, I'm not mad to put all her eggs in that basket. But she did, and so now she's going to have to do you with the fallout from now?
Speaker 2: So what now I've lost lost our track here.
Speaker 3: I know, we like went off on a tangent.
Speaker 2: We're on the opening scene.
Speaker 5: It's so funny because I message Jack.
Speaker 1: I'm like, hey, where are we so I can jump in.
Speaker 2: She's like we just started and I was like, okay, but anyway, Yeah, So we were just talking about that first scene where she's at dinner with them. Oh yeah, good scene, but good scene. Happy to see the grandparent gilmore.
Speaker 5: Nice to see Richard doing better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not so like not so annoying, not ch acoustic with each other. It's like, oh that was I was not into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And not a lot of Emily in this No, No, isn't it odd to have Emily in a scene and she doesn't say that much. That's true.
Speaker 3: So then we go to uh Luke's diner and Lorlai walks in, and Babbett and Miss Patty are whispering because they're saving their voices for their I thought it was funny when she's they said they were trying.
Speaker 2: That was funny.
Speaker 3: Actually, I was like, I think that ship has sailed.
Speaker 2: That was funny. They were great in this episode.
Speaker 3: They were They really stole the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the hat.
Speaker 3: So laurel I notices.
Speaker 2: Luke is back when totally.
Speaker 3: And he kind of gives her funny look like why are you staring at me? So that was a cute scene. And then so then they talk about the boat trip that Luke is planning.
Speaker 1: With waitman, is this this Caesar scene? No with Todd Low. No, that's not the okay.
Speaker 3: This is this is when Laurli comes and she sits at the counter.
Speaker 1: And he gets her coffee and.
Speaker 3: She gets her coffee and you can tell the cup is empty because it sounds.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't empty, It just I didn't fill it all the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then she gives him some advice about April, like you know, stop at a hotel and let her take a shower and go to this restaurant. So there was a cute song or scene ending with the song.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, now Luke and Laurel are all right, what are they doing now? They're sniffing each other. Yes, that's a good descript They're getting this in again, aren't they?
Speaker 3: Like they're both kind of trying to poke the bear and see if it's going to work.
Speaker 1: It's like, is it on? Could it be on again? What's happening? I think it might be on? I'm not sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought it was good. I liked the banter where she's all the nautical terms and he's like stop it.
Speaker 2: It was so funny. It was great. It was very old. It's it's as Danielle Romo would say, it's very season three and four. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like how they try to scale each other's walls. I think that's that creates a wonderful tension, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And and then we go to Paris and Rory's apartment and Paris has all those other Yale kids medical school and they've got the obscene cake.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was actually funny. It was actually funny.
Speaker 3: It was it was did you just like you could see the cake on the table like you couldn't.
Speaker 2: I was not mad at that whole scene because it was like different and it's the Paris I sort of enjoy it was all good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just it was just so Paris that they got a naked guy cake because from an erotic bakery, because they couldn't find a cadaver cake.
Speaker 2: Is this where we find out Rory has gotten rejected at yet another job.
Speaker 1: Yes, San Francisco Chronicle Chicago could have is a Chicago Tribune Chicago Chronicles Chicago?
Speaker 3: You have a letter?
Speaker 1: Nailed it research? I attributed to research.
Speaker 2: Also, like is it eighteen forty two? Who's getting letters on jobs? Like that? Is so not literally I'm sorry, but that's not how That's not how it works in the two thousands. If you didn't get a job, Yeah, we actually had phones back then and people called you or they didn't, like, they don't even tell you when you don't get a job, right, you just get here. You're certainly not getting a letter. But anyway, who needs to be This.
Speaker 3: Was all speaking of phones. This is the same scene where she goes and tries to call that woman at the providence of the job that was pretty cringe. I felt bad for her because clearly she was just like grasping at straws because now she's freaking out about what is she going to do? But still like you just don't do that.
Speaker 2: And also most people actually don't have a job like the minute they graduate. And also she could go back to school too, that is an option for her. So it's like, I don't know why she's not like going, well, maybe I'll go to graduate school of journalism just like Paris is doing. It's like she obviously has good grades, right, and I don't think it'd be too late. I don't know. It's just not tracking for me, but I can I can shut up about it.
Speaker 1: The whole scene wasn't tracking for me. I didn't think it was funny because I'm not accepting that storyline. I'm not accepting it. I want to see Paris rejected it from every school. I want to see her in debt. That's the character I want to see in Desperate Straits, because I think that's where the comedy comes from. We see Paris. Yeah, actually, when she's in high stress and when she's not getting what she wants.
Speaker 2: I actually agree with you, it would have been better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, her karma is not that she gets you know what I mean? It's also fun everybody and then calms her down. We don't want to see her calm down.
Speaker 2: It would have been kind of fun if Rory gets the job and Paris, who we all expected to get it into twenty schools, is like, gets rejected from everywhere, and it's the first time Paris is you know, although we did see it when she didn't get into Harvard, but whatever, But that would have been interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a successful New York Times employed Rory getting into the program. Consoling a manic Paris who didn't get in anywhere is what I want to see. It's just a better ride for me. It's more comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would I kind of agree. I would like Rory to not be sort of getting rejected from everywhere. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Are we doing it again? We're rewriting the show, Yeah we.
Speaker 2: Are, and they people don't love when we do that. They don't like that, but whatever, let's lean into what we got. What we got is Rory getting rejected from everywhere via snail mail, and it's weird.
Speaker 1: Let's keep rewriting this show. I like rewriting the show.
Speaker 3: The next scene is the Dragonfly and Suki and larel I are trying to figure out what the hat means. Like, was Luke's fun?
Speaker 2: That was fun?
Speaker 3: And that was very think how do I reciprocate that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was very girl talk and exactly how we do now? He said, hey, does that mean hey? Or does that mean hey? Like we literally do do? That?
Speaker 3: Said totally, that was totally best friend talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 3: She got rid of all her Luke stuff so she doesn't have like any memory, which.
Speaker 2: Also she never would have done. No one does that right because.
Speaker 3: There was a whole thing earlier about like in season one, about the Dean Box and the Max box and it keeps it in the closet. Yeah, I so I agree with that. Yeah, well I guess, you know, maybe the Luke thing was a little deep, like it cut a little deeper, so maybe she got yeah, I mean and then Suki tells her, well, maybe you could throw on a flannel shirt.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so funny. Was great?
Speaker 1: She could have bought one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Also, where's the ring?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they never thank you so much? Amy with some dropping some knowledge where.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. That's so true. I mean we do see it, yes, yes, but right now you know who wound up with it. But yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Would have been a good sign to you, Scott slash Luke that she wanted to get back together. Is if suddenly she's just wearing the ring again and she's all, can I have some coffee? Right?
Speaker 1: That's the cartoon version that a little aggressive.
Speaker 2: But I notice you're wearing the hat I gave you. I'm wearing something you gave me.
Speaker 3: So then it goes to Lane and Zach's apartment and I have to call out the music cue in this scene.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 3: So when she was putting the twins down in their like bacinette things, the song in the background was it was a lullaby version of Boys Don't Cry by The Cure. Oh and I thought, what a perfect song for putting your baby boys to sleep, True Don't Cry. Anyways, I thought that was true. It was like a lullaby version of it. Very nice. So this is so Zach comes home with all these brand named groceries from the grocery store because he's gotten this call from a guy in vapor rub and wants them to want him to be the lead guitar I know, and they're gonna go on tour for eight weeks and all these great venues and then you know, Zach says, part of the deal was that Lane and the babies could come along, and so they're like all happy and excited at least until reality sets in. But then it goes to Lorelei arriving home and she's driving this suv we've never seen before, but it had Yeah. I was like, oh yeah, I love the dragonfly logo on the side, so yeah, maybe she's van or whatever. And Rorthy is hiding in her bed with one of her blue books that she didn't even turn in, oh god, for her final. So this is the time we've seen that, because remember it happened the other year when she didn't write her final because she was sitting there steering out the window because she.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh yeah everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so second second time, but at least she's graduated. She can't drop out of school again. And so then this is when laurel I is like, you know, you have things pretty easy, It's okay, melt down, yeah, And this is where Rory admits that she was, you know, cocky about the whole thing, and which I don't know that you are.
Speaker 2: A hockey per se, but like she's just not she's having bum luck. But also she did apply to only the biggest papers ever and then the Providence Journal or whatever it was. It's like, maybe she needs to cast a wider net. I know I keep saying that, but yeah, also Rory would cast a wider net. I'm frustrated just by the character not doing what I thought the character would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally frustrating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it's kind of annoying.
Speaker 3: So then we go back to the apartment with the babies and Brian suggests it was cute Brian helping with the baby.
Speaker 2: That was cute. Yeah, it actually was a funny, cute scene and he was really good with it. I those looked like real babies.
Speaker 3: Yes, they were moving.
Speaker 2: They will look like real baby Scott. They did.
Speaker 1: The whole scene made me very very anxious, the way he was handling the baby, and I would just catch, just please support the baby's head, please be careful for me.
Speaker 2: I actually thought he did good, but I had the same thing like, oh God, should he be touching that baby? And then what goes into my mind is like whose baby is that? And like who's surrendering their baby to these people and then letting them move them around? Like it was a little I enjoyed it, but it was a little.
Speaker 1: Like too stressed, start to go ooh.
Speaker 2: What's going on with this baby?
Speaker 1: To stressful for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Brian actually made the suggestion that Lane should bring a nanny or take missus Kim on the tour. And then you see Lane's wheels start turning about it. You know, is this really gonna be able to happen? Take it?
Speaker 2: Which I know we'll get to it, but I say, like, good for Lane, we'll get to that. I sort of thought, way, does you know, like look, not that I don't think the roles should be reversed also, but like I like that she was like, no, go, you need to go, And that was kind of a baller Lane, like I got this, I'm independent, I'm strong, I got this. I want to support you. You go, And I sort of thought, you know, they could use that money too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was like, they don't both need to give up on their dreams. Like if one of them could go, go and then they.
Speaker 2: Can switch it. It's like it's very Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds. One works, then the other works. It's like, let's do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then we go to Luke Steiner and Rory and Laureli are talking about various celebrities that had setbacks in their careers and maybe this setback will give is.
Speaker 2: The gratuitous pop culture. Insert some pop culture because we don't know how to do it seamlessly anymore.
Speaker 3: But what else exactly like this is fourteen celebrities. We got that in there, and then more Luke and Lorelai kind of bantering a little. Love was really misunderstanding what Laura I was saying. Yeah, she says they're going to see Miss Patty's act. Oh yeah, yeah yeah, And Luke thought she was inviting him to go with them, and he's like, I'm and she's like, oh no, I was just saying that.
Speaker 2: But she kind of was inviting. She was inviting him and then he couldn't go. And yes, she was, Yes, she was, she was, she was. She was what you say, she was dropping, she's dropping the handkerchief. The handkerchief, she was sort of putting it out there. Then he didn't do it, and then she backs it up, like I was, and he wanted to go like it was exactly what Susanne. I don't want to say it, but I think you're wrong.
Speaker 3: Well I'm allowed to have a different opinion than you. It doesn't make either one of them wrong. That wasn't at all what I picked up.
Speaker 1: But whatever, what did you pick up? What did you pick up?
Speaker 3: I think she just was trying to make small talk and she's like, so Rory and I are going to Casey's tonight to see the karaoke.
Speaker 2: I need to see the face because it was all in the face to face. She was like, suddenly, I'm saying, we're going to you know, Red Lobster. You you like Lobster? Like That's how it was to me.
Speaker 5: It was Also it was also the reaction of he's not going and she's like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. And also it's not like a private event. He could have been like, I'm going to that too, I want to sit with us, you know, like it was.
Speaker 1: But the way, but the way he responded when she was trying to backtrack was, you know, made it obvious that she was trying to invite him.
Speaker 2: And then he goes, guy, Yes, he goes it's on Hello, Hello.
Speaker 1: It's a nice little scene. I really love the Luke Laureli banter.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 3: And then one when Rory was she went outside to take a call from Logan and the job thing went well, and he said, like he was, she was bummed about the fellowship thing. And then did you catch his little foreshadowing there? He says, I have a feeling in the next couple of days you will have moved on.
Speaker 2: Yes, But also, may I throw something out there was he in San Francisco? Because it really looked like he was in a high up hotel room with the bridge in the background, and it looked real. It did not look like Martha's Vineyard, fake Santa Monica Venice actually looked like I was like, I might be crazy, but I think this dude's in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: You you mean like Matt Zuker physically was in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: That's what it looked like to me. I mean, I don't know. I mean maybe he don't know, but it sort of looked like they were really shooting it in a hotel room with the bridge in the background. But I could be stupid.
Speaker 1: Maybe then that's not what happened.
Speaker 2: What did they just put a picture in the window.
Speaker 1: They're not going to spend the money to go up there.
Speaker 2: And look how it looked. I know, but it looks job. I mean, they did a really great job. Can somebody find out if it really was somebody? Look up Gilmour shooting.
Speaker 1: Are you sure they didn't go to San Francisco?
Speaker 3: Oh well, guess if he was already there shooting something else? Could they have just like hired baby?
Speaker 2: Because here's the thing, then, why did they make Martha's vineyard look so fake? If they're so good at making things look real, how are you going to?
Speaker 1: Wait, man, how are you going to make the West coast look like the East coast?
Speaker 2: It can't happen, true respect, But I think he was as far as I'm concerned, mad Zukrie was at the Saint Francis like literally, you know, or the Fairmont.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 1: That's That's how good Matt Zukri is. He believed it so much that.
Speaker 2: I believe it too. Yeah, it is so true, so true.
Speaker 3: And then to the other two notable things in the scene where Rory notices the hat and then also April calls and says she can't go on the boat.
Speaker 2: Oh that was rough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Lucas you know, you could tell Luke was disappointed, but obviously he's such a good dad. Yeah, he doesn't want to bring April down, so he's like, oh, that's fine, we'll do it next summer. So but it was a good you know, I always like to see April, so that was fun. Yeah, and then we go to karaoke night. I believe when they way back in like season two or three whatever, whenever Rory breaks her arm in the car accident with Jess and she there's a scene where she gets the cast off, and when they're leaving the doctor's office, they walk past a place that says Casey's Bar and Grill. Okay, so I think that's where it is. People say there's no bar in stars Hollow because of something in the revival, But.
Speaker 2: But there is the bar that that Jackson took.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, saw the name of that place.
Speaker 1: Where stars I thought stars hollows a dry town.
Speaker 3: Well, see that's what everybody thinks. But that one episode they were walking past Casey's Bar and Grill, it's in the back by the church.
Speaker 2: Well guess what, I think there's two bars in this town.
Speaker 4: I was thinking this is near the relse.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's funny, that's funny. That weird. Yeah, that was so random, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Know what you know, I I'm gonna make a big reveal here please with a little behind the scenes this and it answers. Now, when I was watching this episode and this scene came on, I was and I saw Rory sitting at the table. I was like, oh my god, I remember this so well because we were all there, right, practically the entire cast was there, right, and guess what.
Speaker 6: We suspected that this was it, right. We suspected that we weren't going to get a season eight. We felt and we were even talking about it, because I remember talking about it with Alexis and just the speculation of it, and there was some undecided people and we didn't know. So the feeling in the room was as we were all kind of you know, gathering maybe as a cast for the last time, was that we're probably not coming back. I remember that feeling very very distinctly.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, man, that's sad, and I think it was a surprise eyes when I heard that we might be coming back for season eight, and there's like, you know, negotiations.
Speaker 2: And so sort of up and down till the end.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah, but this did feel like a final the final time the cast would be together on set and all and so we you know, it was this celebratory atmosphere anyway, and you know when when Liz Torres and Sally Struthers are in the role, you're gonna have fun. I mean, yeah, I have las and fun and joy.
Speaker 3: So was that the last scene you shot for this episode?
Speaker 1: I think it was actually.
Speaker 2: And I also say it was very Maisally seen, Like I think she took some of this even though she wasn't on then, But like the way the town is, there's so much of that that goes into Missus Masel, just sort of that town, these people together, Like I don't know, there's there's a lot from this show that I see in her other shows.
Speaker 1: And you know what there was there was something about the conversation that I was having with Alexis, the way she was sitting at the table, she was you know, Alexis was always so she's very she's a little bit withdrawn.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, she's shy, kind of introvert.
Speaker 1: She's very very sweet, and she had so much work to do every single day, that she was focused on our lines, focused, completely concentrated, completely focused, and we all see the results of that. Her work is fantastic and that's what it takes. It takes that kind of focus. But I noticed when I was talking to her in this set as we were shooting it, in between camera setups, she didn't go back to her trailer.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She sat around and she was there was this sort of relaxed kind of relief with her.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I'd never seen that before. Like she'd really loosened up and like was just kind of telling stories and everybody was sort of talking freely, and I think everybody knew because of that that was an indication that this was going to be it, you know.
Speaker 2: Wow. I mean I think there are a lot of scenes too where she was very young with a lot of adults. Do you know what I'm saying, like a teenager twenty something?
Speaker 1: Oh, you can't blame her.
Speaker 2: Older, seasoned, legendary actor personality. She grew I could see. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she started at eighteen with no experience and now looking she's twenty five and she wants to do film, and she's getting offers and she's done some films and.
Speaker 2: She's traveling pants.
Speaker 5: I want to say it was going into the last season of.
Speaker 2: She's just done it basically, Yeah, let me look.
Speaker 1: Wow, So if you're twenty five and you've been on a series for seven years, I mean, you got your whole career, you got a movie career in front of it.
Speaker 5: It was two thousand and five, so she went for it, right, So she probably started doing it around season five of the show, so she already had the movie out.
Speaker 1: Because you got to ask yourself, how many people are in that position when they're that young and have a successful TV series and you're the lead of that TV series, have that opportunity to step into a film career Because the film career is very rare, it's very hard to pull off. And she she had a real opportunity at that time. So wow, Yeah, totally understandable.
Speaker 2: Right there, you go so interesting.
Speaker 3: There's several scenes here. It kind of flips back and forth between the bar and the diner, but essentially Lane comes in to the diner, she says hi to Luke, and then Lane they leave to walk over to the karaoke night and that's when Lane tells.
Speaker 2: Zach this is a scene I like because I really believe them as a couple in this scene. I like what Lane did here. I like how Zach responded that. At first he's like no, I'm not going, and then she's like, no, I want you to go, and instead of being like no, I know, he's like okay, okay. It was very adult. It was very married, responsible, but cool and supportive. And I really liked them both in this scene.
Speaker 1: I've never seen Zach and Lane me too. I agree in every scene. I mean, they were really terrific together. Yeah, and you know, it wasn't all QT cutesy, sweety sweetie all the time.
Speaker 2: Or bumbling dummy dopey. It was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they were. They were cool in this and they were like solid adults and parents and yeah, that was it was good.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: It was a little more edge. They gave them a little more edge and a little like reality for them works better than the sort of soft so they performed the comedy better when it's dramatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, well said yeah.
Speaker 3: And did you guys notice when they were in the diner still that I think it was Zach was mopping and there were tire tracks on the floor from when Kirk drove the car through.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's funny. That's a great little detail. That's great, one of those.
Speaker 3: Great Okay, speaking of Kirk, can we talk about Kirk singing? Do you really want to hurt me?
Speaker 1: Hysterical?
Speaker 5: I just loved singing everyone back together, like I know, it felt like like old times, like everyone in the same room.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like you thought, you know, you thought it was great with uh miss miss Patty and Pbet singing, and then you get the Kirk and you go, how are you going to top that? Well, Laura, they did, Yeah, they really that with one of the It was one of the big moments in the show.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: When you say it was a huge in the whole series, Yeah, it's a huge moment.
Speaker 3: Yea, Yeah, yeah, when when she sings that was it just was so well played between the two of you, with the you know, the nonverbal communication. It just looks back and forth, and you know, Luke got a little choked up. It just was such a great scene.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna I'm gonna share a personal story, a couple of personal stories with it real briefly here. I've never seen the show, but when I do conventions, or I'm out there in restaurants or wherever I am in the world, people come up and they want selfies, and you know, the whole thing, and it's always great, and they always talk about this scene. I have never seen this scene. I don't know what they're talking about. I remember doing it, I remember doing it, but I never saw it in its context, you know. And and for for fans, it's such a powerful moment, and it's the thing that that brings them to conventions because they want to talk about that scene. And they said, when you walked into that diner, that song, and and that's all what apart. We were crying. So I'm sitting watching it last night right right, I'm listening on like I'm not giving it any more.
Speaker 2: I have no idea or do you go yeah, I know, no, no, no, I.
Speaker 1: Just smile and I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I have no idea what they're talking about because it didn't impact me because I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: But it's so good when you walk in it, it does seem like a film.
Speaker 1: Right. But then so I'm sitting there last night in the media room on the couch.
Speaker 2: How rich are you? Wow?
Speaker 1: Why everybody is a media room when no, they don't, sir, no they do not. They call them a media room.
Speaker 2: They called a family room or line.
Speaker 1: I need everybody to just calm down right now.
Speaker 2: Scott's a famous actor who is on a lot of shows. He has a media room. I feel like it has reclining chairs. I am that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does have a popcorn maker.
Speaker 2: Actually, it has a very big screen. And it's not where their living room or family room is. It's a different room where the rest of us folks have one room.
Speaker 3: That is all those.
Speaker 2: Things I don't even have, Like I only have a living room slash family room, slash media room slash office. It's all the same.
Speaker 1: Room, all right, son, God is rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are in your media room, Richard Gilmore.
Speaker 1: And so so my wife walks in and she sits down next to me, and that's when Luke walks in and we watched the scene and we're both just we're always gabbing with each other, and we're talking about what's like if you were ever to watch a movie with us, you would tell us to shut up about ten times in the first two minutes because we're just gabbing each other. Oh that was good. That was great. Wasn't that great? But this time we're both silent. Wow, And we're watching this karaoke scene with Laura and Luke, And when it was over, we were just both silent, and I think we were both a little bit emotional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the first time.
Speaker 1: I turned to her and I said, I said, so, this is what you've been talking about. Yeah, I said, this is what the fans we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it before. The first time in my life, I realized the real power of that relationship.
Speaker 2: It's really good for the fans, and it's great face acting, great face act.
Speaker 5: Literally, like, I have the biggest smile on my face watching that scene because because of Scott.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, because he's like a stuff that walks in and he's got the face and he's like cool and orders his beer and there's not he didn't say one thing, and you're like, wow, this is happening.
Speaker 1: I tell you, that show put me in some good situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of makes you like a stud. It's funny. Gilmore, girls really like upped your game. I bet, like, because you're just always doing cool stuff.
Speaker 1: As Luke, You're only you're only as good as the script. Yeah, you know, you're only hopefully it don't screw up a good script.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's so that's not even a script somehow, that's really you What do they say? He's cool, he gets Yeah, you get to.
Speaker 1: Do that, right? You read it? No, I get to do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Cool? It was good.
Speaker 3: Great, that would be cool because when you're acting it and you know there the script says, you know, Luke gets choked up or whatever, so then Scott has to be Luke getting choked up. But it's the editing that's it all together. And so that's you know, and you see like the back and forth between Luke and Lorelai, and it's just it's an amazing scene.
Speaker 2: But it's singing when you walk in. Is that so that is really Happening's okay?
Speaker 1: Right? And then she starts singing.
Speaker 2: But I mean, in real life when you film it, is she singing? Are you able to act with her in that scene? It's not like that was shot okay, okay, oh yeah, it's not like they're just like, let's capture Scott coming in.
Speaker 1: No. No, I mean yeah, they turned the camera around.
Speaker 2: Of course, but she's still doing her thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she was singing off camera for me, I don't I think she was. I'm not I don't really.
Speaker 3: Like it by the scene.
Speaker 1: But actually, to be honest with that, it's not hard to react that way. I mean, if somebody's not singing us, they just play the maybe that maybe they just played the song.
Speaker 2: But it was her face. It's like, I wouldn't be able to like pretend that lamp is Lauren and Laura I and she's singing, and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, but I did that lamp, but I did that, my face.
Speaker 2: Would be so whack. I mean, I also realize.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? Do you know what they do? They put an orange X on the very side of the camera, right below the lens, and that's the person. So you got to react to that.
Speaker 2: I realize I do that a lot. How bad of an actor I would be or am when I watch Sometimes I come across us on Instagram and I'm like, could I touch my face four hundred and twelve times while we're doing this podcast?
Speaker 1: Doing it right now?
Speaker 2: I know, the whole podcast is just me like wiping my eyes, moving my hair, touching my face. I mean I literally just look like and.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: I've given up. I've given up on trying to look cute when we do this. I'm just like, I'm just gonna get in there and talk about the ship.
Speaker 1: But anyway, is the key is having interesting posters right behind thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they literally must city like, as an actor, don't touch your face because like, nobody wants to see this.
Speaker 1: No, you know, I mean, if you're going to touch your face, it had better be for a very good reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, not just every time.
Speaker 1: I think that scene was so important and the producers knew that, oh yeah, so important that I'm sure Lauren was there singing to me because they that connection.
Speaker 2: I think it is a pivotal moment.
Speaker 1: It's also listen, let's let's just say this. It's it's it's a really relatable moment for everybody. Everybody's had a moment like that, whether it's at a birthday party or a dinner or something like that. We've all had a moment like that where we're sort of like a little blushing and something works out for us and whatever situation it's in, and you're just like, oh, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, it totally reminds me of And this might be so weird. It reminds me of the scene in Sixteen Candles when Molly Ringwald comes out of the church and Jake there with the Porsche and they really don't talk to each other. In the scene, she he goes like waves at her and she looks behind her, like who's he she goes and he goes, yeah, you. And it's like that same thing where you're like across this sort of kind of vast space, but it's like these two and you're just like, oh my god, it's on like that.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: So that was what it remained.
Speaker 1: That was a big you could call that moment a big movie moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so game changer.
Speaker 1: That's an iconic movie moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's why people love the scene so much, and it's why it's so viral. It's all over.
Speaker 1: The they've seen the scene before in many other films. Sixteen Candles big impact, big, big impact on an.
Speaker 2: Audience, or like a million scenes in movies where the person's singing or you know, the person walks into the bar, they're dancing, like they see each other across the the bar.
Speaker 1: You would write an entire movie just to get up to that scene, you would have that. Yeah, let's fill it get.
Speaker 2: There, correct. I think that at this episode knew that, and then it one ups it because is the next scene the scene.
Speaker 3: So before we leave the karaoke bar, I just wanted to point out one little thing behind On the wall behind Laureli there was a sign for Boozoo Barnes. Do you guys remember who Boozoo was?
Speaker 5: I remember the name, but I don't.
Speaker 3: He was the zydecode guy that came to audition for Laurelized wedding and she couldn't get him to stop.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, anyways, I thought that was a cute little shout out.
Speaker 2: So random, but yeah.
Speaker 3: So then we go to It's the next morning, laurel Ize hungover and Rory is saying, you know, sometimes you have to let your feelings out, and Laurelize like, yeah, I guess. So cute little kind of a little throw away scene, but it was cute. And then we go to Chilikila's scene.
Speaker 5: And which sounds so good right now?
Speaker 2: I know, I know it does, doesn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the things I like about this show is that you can watch it a million times and you always see something new. Every time. Last night, when I rewatched this, I heard Zach say something I have never heard him say before. He said, Gypsy does a mean Pat Benatar?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh, I would have loved to have seen that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I wonder if they shot that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it was, Maybe it was. That was pretty cool. And then so this is where Zach find finds an air, quotes the black cat that was mysteriously stuffed behind the dishwasher, and gives it back to Luke and he.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how something gets lost behind the dishwasher unless it was someone in the And then so this is I think this is what the scene.
Speaker 2: Dud dun dun dum.
Speaker 3: Logan shows up at Laurels. So you want to take this one, Amy.
Speaker 2: No, you keep going. I'll just give my thoughts. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 3: Logan is back from San Francisco or a backdrop of San Francisco, whichever it was, and he tells her that he got the job. He's been offered the job in Palo Alto, and he wants to take Rory with him and is seeking Laurelized permission to ask her to marry him.
Speaker 2: Ju see juicy unexpected? Yeah, here expected juicy cool.
Speaker 1: I loved the scene. However, however, I turned to my wife and I said, I'm scared.
Speaker 2: I'm scared.
Speaker 1: This is me trying to rewrite stuff which people love. When I do this, they do they sure to love it. And uh. I turned my wife and said, that should have been the scene preceding the care.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I actually agree with you.
Speaker 1: Right, well, exactly why are we leaving the cliffhanger on that when we had the big moment of the show and then then you go out.
Speaker 2: I actually think what could have been cool is you end on maybe even finding the hat because it's sort of a bump bump moment. You open the next episode with them with this right immediately after karaoke. She's home, she's on the sort of high of the karaoke and what does it all mean in her logan, and we start the episode with the I want to marry her. We start the next one with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, the way they set it up was very Amy Sherman Pallatino like, we've talked about that before. How you think you're at the end of the episode, and then she like keeps me in the butt with some other Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it's kind of what this was like. I felt like they were kind of true to her pattern of writing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well there's only what three two more, three more after this more? Yeah, but it's like the final stretch of kids People Juicy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's juicy. You know.
Speaker 1: Laurel's reaction to that started out to be funny, so I started I started to almost laugh with she just was, you know, gobsmacked. Yeah, but then it was she kept holding that stare and it was like, oh.
Speaker 5: Okay, I did like the Laurel I LORELEI is it like? Went to credits. I did like how that was done. Yeah, yeah, yeah it was which is the name of the episode. But it was very well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I one was over the credits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, overall, terrific episode, just to really really.
Speaker 2: What do you give it? What do you give it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I go last year, Oh pardon me, I have shall go first. This time I am going to give it ten.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, ten. I will always love use the Whitney Houston version.
Speaker 1: Not the Dolly.
Speaker 2: Not the Dolly, I'll go next.
Speaker 3: I loved this episode. This is always something I look forward to in a rewatch, so I'm also going to give it a ten. I'm going to give it ten Naked mancakes, Oh nice.
Speaker 4: I really loved it as well.
Speaker 5: I'm going to give it nine point five chili lace oh good.
Speaker 1: I'm actually going to give it a ten plus.
Speaker 2: Wow, We've never had a ten plus.
Speaker 1: And the Olympics. I'm gonna say a little French, a little super okay, okay, and uh and I don't have a measuring stick.
Speaker 2: Well get one, dude, I'll go look for hats.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go, I go. Yeah, uh yeah, terrific, terrific episode, like really iconic moments. Sad to see uh rory spiral. But yeah, the last two episodes, it will be interesting. It'll be very eager to see what happens. And I'll tell you, uh huh what however, ending you want or I want whatever, it doesn't really matter. I'm watching the next one with interest, Like I almost had to watch it.
Speaker 5: I had to turn it off or I would have hit next episode the whole I turned the whole TV off.
Speaker 1: But actually it's interesting because I'm I'm watching House of Cards for the first time. I really wanted to get to House of cards.
Speaker 2: I love a binge. That's an old binge. I am binging for the third time. Thank you Netflix, prison Break right back onto prison break.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, all right, that's gonna do what everybody next episode, season seven episode think they ah onto the breach and uh, we'll see you next time. Thank you, tire Suit Daniel, Roma Susse and French the one the only champion ex champion ski racer Amy Sugarman. Mm hmm you specialized in the slalom or the downhill. I think it was a downhill downhill world record. Thank you for sure, best fans on the planet. Keep those cards and letters coming. We love them and we love you. We'll see you next time. And remember we and I am all In. Stay safe everyone, everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.