Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Catty Armstrong.
Speaker 2: And Jettie and he arms Strong and Strong.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a replay of the Armstrong and Getty Show. We are on vacation, but boy, do we have some good stuff for you. Yes, indeed we do.
Speaker 4: And if you want to catch up on your ang listening during your travels, remember grab the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. You ought to subscribe wherever you like to get podcasts. Now on with the infotainment and interesting story in the Wall Street Journal America's new millionaire class plumbers and hvac entrepreneurs, and it's well, it's what the headline would suggest. There's one twist to it. But I'm reminded of something that I We've been saying for years. The virtually every election comes down to how much the government is going to give you, and most of it's phony. Sure looks like it right now of other people's tax moment with both candidates claiming all kinds of things are going to give you, or a wave is a fee or whatever, just laying out the gifts and the handouts and the new programs and the rest of it. When it's funny that ninety well that's not true anymore. The vast majority of us we make a living, we have a job, and we you know, the government's involved in our lives, but more than we want. And it's just the idea of that, well I'm going to vote for who gives me the most is just ugly to me anyway. Yeah, it's never been part of my life. And oh that gets back to you know what I've always tried to lay out, and I wish Conservative America was better at this. And I'm not claiming some sort of mantle as some sort of eloquent hero, but I've always said I've come up with this program where you can feed, clothe, educate, and medicate ten to ten thousand families and it's not going to cost a dime of taxpayer money. It's called starting a business and growing it to success.
Speaker 2: Where is that in our political discussions?
Speaker 4: That is the engine of prosperity, The engine the government handout stuff is crumbs around the edges.
Speaker 3: I hate for this to be true, but I think the reason you don't pitch that as an argument is because there are enough people that are going to decide the election. That are that other thing you were talking about, Yeah, what are you going to give me without me doing anything for it? Really, you start talking about starting a business and all that sort of stuff, that's a lot of work.
Speaker 4: And the politics of envy has been so successful in convincing people that the successful have done something untoward to get there. They should be resented for that success. They have stolen from you. If they have more than you, it's because they have stolen from you, which was not culturally the attitude in the United States up until very very recently.
Speaker 3: Oh, I heard a great thing yesterday on that from Jonah Goldberg of The Dispatch that he regularly says in his speeches, I guess when people talk about why is there poverty? He says, that's not the question. There's always been poverty. Poverty is the natural state of human beings. Yes, why is their wealth is the question? And then you get into the discussion of how capitalism creates wealth. Poverty is the way it would be for everyone. If you didn't have capitalism, we'd all be poor. It's not like we'd all have, you know, nice sized homes and cars and go on vacations and a comfortable retirement.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's not the natural state of things, right.
Speaker 4: And my only quibbal with Jonah, who's absolutely right, is that because of the resentment of quote unquote wealth, you could break it down to never mind why there's poverty, why is there housing, why is their food to eat? Why is their medical care? How did this happen? And we've just gotten away from that as a culture again because the politics of envy works.
Speaker 3: And digression number ten before you get to your main point, Yes, when I said I've never voted for somebody given me stuff, I think that's factually true. But if you are to the left, you'd say, yeah, you vote for people who who want lower taxes, are going to lower taxes, and they're giving you money.
Speaker 4: As opposed to I'm keeping my own. Letting me keep my money is not giving me anything. But yeah, you're absolutely right. So this article in the Wall Street Journal is interesting. It is absolutely on the side of folks who build, learn a skill, build a business, hire others, teach them to do that business and grow it. One interesting wrinkle is that it's all about how private equity is now recognizing how the HVAC business. The plumbing business are good solid electrical contractors too. They're good, solid, profitable businesses. And so venture capital is moving in and buying up these businesses, private equity businesses. They hope to profit by running larger, more profitable operations, more efficient, etc.
Speaker 3: Well, we endorse a heating and air company, Fantastic One. And I remember when we were talking to him last year and he was telling us what people can make to start. Yeah, and he can't find workers and they'll train them right right, And there's some concern that.
Speaker 4: And you do have to watch for this if you've been with a company for a long time. Joe Hvac who learned the trade, smart guy, gal family entrepreneur, hired people, grew it, etc. Then they sell to the private equity company and it becomes a different company. Yeah, standards of service change, priorities change, that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: What happens with everything, absolutely everything, Oh yeah, not just companies, practically everything. You go and buy in a store that has a name brand, and I'm thinking of a home depot, so many different brands of things at Home Depot built their reputation years ago on being super quality items that aren't crap. Yes, because they're you know, they're run by what you're just talking about.
Speaker 4: The wave of investment is minting a new class of millionaires across the country, one that small business owners say is helping add more shine to working with a tool belt.
Speaker 2: Some of us don't need more shine for that.
Speaker 4: But anyway, you don't need to go to Silicon Valley to have a successful career. An entrepreneur Real Opportunities, said this fellow with Detroit based private equity company that is doing a lot of investment in service companies.
Speaker 2: You know, I well, never mind.
Speaker 4: I was about to go off on a personal tangent, but we have a ten tangent limit and we've exceeded it.
Speaker 2: Why does everybody say space these days?
Speaker 4: Quote, everybody in their uncle owns an HVAC business in the private equity space.
Speaker 2: Today, he said. Another guy that's hip.
Speaker 4: This private equity company, Redwood Services.
Speaker 2: Where are they based? It doesn't matter, Tucson.
Speaker 4: Interesting they've required acquired thirty five companies in the past four years, from small to large. In the services trades have long offered a solidly hourly wage for workers without college degrees, also springboards for those with bigger entrepreneurial ambitions.
Speaker 2: Goodness knows that is true.
Speaker 4: Wow, this guy spent five years in prison for selling meth before he co founded his plumbing business and now he's an entrepreneur. He was selling meth and now he's got a legitimate business. But it was in sales. Honestly, you know, that's funny but true. I absolutely believe in second chances for people.
Speaker 2: I'm a one strike you're out guy.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's hard anyway, Saudi Arabia is calling, But yeah, there is an element to that. He grew up in a hard scrabble place where that was the entrepreneurial opportunity and something open.
Speaker 2: Well, he learned the trade.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it was in prison or what, but he learned the trade and realized, oh, there are better entrepreneurial opportunities than selling death to people.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Ain't that America for you and me? Land of the Free? Anyway?
Speaker 3: I'm amazed by all you small business owners because you work so hard and you got everything on the line every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how you. I really don't know how you do it.
Speaker 4: That is why I so resent and I'm so strongly against this idiotic, nonsensical idea that we're going to raise business taxes because businesses have to pay their fair share. Like everybody who runs a business is crazy wealthy. I know a lot of small business people and entrepreneurs who draw what they have to to keep a roof over their head, and they pour everything else back into the business hours they work are insane, right, pardon, pardon my French folks, but I'll say gun instead of the B word I heard many years ago. You want to work for yourself, You're gonna hate the son of a gun. You're gonna hate your boss because he won't let you have saturdays off or holidays or going to work you like you've never worked before.
Speaker 2: You know, stay home when you're sick. He's not gonna let you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So here's to you, entrepreneurs and small business owners. May a private equity firm buy you out and I'll see on the golf.
Speaker 2: Course, I guess you can buy the drinks because you'll be richer than me.
Speaker 5: Armstrong and.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: So the sentencing of all of those activists and politicians and journalists in Hong Kong, it just reminds me how incredibly fragile. A free system is unless it will defend itself by arms. I mean because Hong Kong was a robust democracy, very wealthy, very educated, with every interest in protecting itself, and it couldn't. It was just it was bullied into submission and quickly. I'm reminded of one of my favorite memes, partly because it's a little snarky, but it's also funny. George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to beat the British. He shot them. That's the only way to resist aggression. You can't talk a predator out of predating.
Speaker 3: I have to look into this after the show as trying to confirm that Chinese stuff that I read and figure out.
Speaker 2: As real or not.
Speaker 3: This does not get the attention it deserves the rising China. According to the report that I read, and again, whether he said it to Biden or not, whether it's just stuff being put out by the Chinese, it was a It was a lot of language like you're not the only nuclear power on earth and just you know, very very push pushback. E this means war.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: He laid out, actually laid out four red lines for China that the US better not cross that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we'll see bra from the perspective of if we were attacked by Martians, we would all come together.
Speaker 2: On Earth.
Speaker 4: We have been so obsessed with are internal divisions. I think that's why most Americans are unaware of the threats from abroad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Probably so.
Speaker 3: Big study that came out today and this was in the New York Times, China has now surpassed Europe as the second all time leading polluter on planet Earth. I'm not sure how much I care about the historical polluting that's gone on, but the climate change people care about it a lot because we polluted more throughout the history of the world than any of the country, So we owe more money than anybody else to try to fix the problem, is what they claim. That's only going to be true for a few more years. According to this graph, though, So China has now passed Europe on this pretty much straight up graph because they just started polluting fairly recently, because they were all living in huts and eating their cats and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that and not a lot of pollution.
Speaker 3: But now they got all the coal fires and electricity and everything going on, They're polluting like crazy. The country has now passed Europe is the second largest all time admitter, shifting the debate about who pays for global warming. According to the New York Times, projections show that China may catch up with the United States in just a few years. China's soaring emissions are upending climate politics was the story, let me just read a little bit of it. For many years, wealthy places like the United States and Europe have had the biggest historical responsibility for global warming. China's astonishing rise is upending that dynamic. Over the past three decades, China has built more than one thousand coal fired power plants a thousand as its economy has grown more than forty fold in thirty years, mostly because of our help, thinking that if they got rich enough, they'd be our friends. One of the dumbest gambles in the history of the planet.
Speaker 2: Whoops.
Speaker 3: The country has become by far the largest annual emitter of greenhouse gases in the world. So they're emphasizing the historical, How about emphasize the and on the today chart, it's not even close. Like China is way up there and the United States is way down here with other countries underneath us.
Speaker 4: Right, So if you're trying to build some sort of framework for who owes the most your Paris climate accord folks, I suppose looking at the historical responsibility makes a little bit of sense. But for those of us who live in the real world, who's doing it now is a much more relevant question.
Speaker 2: I would say so.
Speaker 3: And according to this chart, it looks like China is polluting it about two and a half times what we are on a year by year basis at this.
Speaker 2: Point two and a half times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm supposed to alter my lifestyle and suffer the overall GDP consequences for what reason?
Speaker 4: And India is working on it. They'll be on that chargument we're on. Yeah, the actual biggest country on Earth. You go to them and say, hey, can you cut back on your fossil fuels a little bit because of the planet? The answer is yeah, No, Are you kidding? We've got four hundred million people starving here and you want us to go solar?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've got to hope that a lot of the climate change nonsense is going to be swept away.
Speaker 2: During Trump's presidency.
Speaker 4: And I'm not talking about any legitimate claims about the atmosphere or the environment or whatever. I'm down with that, it's fine, but again, cut the crap. Cut the crap.
Speaker 2: Go normstrung, you, Getty dot com, pick yourself up. But cut the craft T shirt they're selling like hotcakes.
Speaker 3: Speaking of trouble spots around the world that we ignore, this happened over the weekend. Haven't heard it anywhere. The Pentagon leaked to Axios that the Houthis are now effectively in control over the Red Sea, which is where Remember they're telling us the numbers all the time, fifteen percent or whatever of all world shipping goes through Kuthi rebels are brandishing increasingly sophisticated weapons, including missiles that can do things that are just amazing, said the Pentagon's chief Weapons somebody or other to Axios over the weekend. The big picture being that the militant group has for years used drones and missiles to strangle the waters off of Yemen, disrupting international shipping.
Speaker 2: And uh, well, I'll read this quote.
Speaker 3: I'm an engineer and a physicist, and I've been around missiles my whole career, said a Pentagon employee to Axios. What I've seen of what the Houthis have done in the last six months is something I'm just shocked. So the rest of the world has just let this ragtag group of camel riders take over a big, major lane of shipping on planet Earth.
Speaker 2: I believe they have Toyota pickups there.
Speaker 4: But anyway, Yeah, who's they're not building those missiles in Yemen? Who's sending them to them? And how soon can we get the Mummy out of office? I mean he is useless bat Kerryah Michael, that's in his old vital days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he isn't that good anymore. He hasn't he hasn't unleashed.
Speaker 4: I had about a kef care with that sort of forcefulness in a year's five.
Speaker 3: Quick question for you, what if you happen to miss this unbelievable radio program.
Speaker 4: The answer is easy, friends, just download our podcast, Armstrong and Getty on demand. It's the podcast version of the broadcast show, available anytime, any day, every single podcast platform known demand.
Speaker 2: Download it now Armstrong and Getty on Demand.
Speaker 5: Armstrong, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: I love this from Andrew Styles the definitive list of winners and losers the twenty twenty four election, and actually, much as I love Andrew I'm gona quippalle. With his opening, he says, the election's over Donald Trump and the Republicans, excuse me, a stunning and decisive victory. I would say Donald Trump won a stunning, in decisive victory. The Senate performed very very well, and the House scraped by for the Republicans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Mentioned certified government mentioned this earlier.
Speaker 3: I hadn't thought about it until I heard a Democrat pointed out, how can you call it a wave if you're going to have like a three seat majority in the House of Representatives.
Speaker 2: That ain't much of a wave.
Speaker 3: I mean, when Obama won, he had like an eighty seat majority.
Speaker 2: It's an indy bitty wave. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But anyway, winners and losers. Winner diversity, actual diversity. All sorts of different people voted for Trump and got out of their electoral pens that the Democrat had told them they ought to stay in the Democrats rather, with the exception of seniors and college educated white women. Huzzah, Trump improved his margins in every group. Winner Hillary Clinton no longer the only Democrat to lose to Trump.
Speaker 2: Winner.
Speaker 4: Mental health professionals about to make a fortune treating the emotional breakdowns of college educated white women and deranged liberals and journalists who base their entire personalities on and hating Trump and his supporters.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a way to live your life.
Speaker 4: All the same people who are cutting off friends and loved ones who care about them deeply as a human being because they because they've bought I think the most hyperbolic and ridiculous stuff about politics. Spend Thanksgiving alone and in the comfort of knowing at least you're not hanging around with Trump voters.
Speaker 2: You weirdo are evil, That's right. Another winner, Dean Phillips.
Speaker 4: Only Democrat with the balls to run against Biden in the Democratic primary and say he's too old.
Speaker 2: He was mocked and ridiculed at the time.
Speaker 3: Oh Man in the Democratic Party cut his legs out from underneath him, made it impossible for him to get anywhere.
Speaker 4: And he was a one hundred percent right it turns out, and telling the truth. Yeah, which he's not welcome in politics. Yeah. Another winner Josh Shapiro. He dodged the bullet of being a hitch to Kamala Harris's right. He looks smart for not taking the job, which he probably didn't want anyway, we've already forgotten the name of the guy she did pick, the guy in the camo had who pranced around and lied about China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's his face? Laugh on say or other? How about his weird five minutes of fame? That'll never I mean, it'll be a trivia question.
Speaker 2: Please, let's begin laughing at the laughing stock.
Speaker 4: Jeff Bezos the whole temper tantrum, saying we got to be a reporter.
Speaker 2: Of news, not an opinion machine. Tony Hitchcliff and garbage.
Speaker 4: He goes into how that was like the final week closing argument, look at this monster Trump mounted to nothing, didn't amount to a pile of garbage in terms of electoral effect?
Speaker 2: Right, yes, go ahead that.
Speaker 3: Remember we were counting the days it had, like five days of legs. That Puerto Rico joke as being one of the lead stories. What a stupid decision from the media who was hell bent on bringing down Trump. You thought that was your best argument. That comedian's joke apparently didn't work.
Speaker 4: Why because they see everything through the lens of identity politics. So this looked like an enormous faux paw and a great to bring bet to beat Trump with the rest of us normal people, including plenty of Democrats and lefties, as many of whom are listening right now. They're like, yeah, I can't afford my groceries. I don't care what some obscure comedians said about Puerto Rico. Alts the new media alternative meetia, including ourselves big winners in the election, Sonny Hostin and the other ladies of the view, for sinking the Harris campaign with the what would you do differently than Biden? There is not a thing that comes to mind, Harris said, in a breathtaking display of unpreparedness.
Speaker 2: Is Sonny Hosten a lot for journalists of the year.
Speaker 3: Well, as she has come out and said she was shocked to that answer. So she was trying to throw Kamala a life preserver because she had flubbed the answer the day before, and instead of the life preserver she threw a cinderblock that took.
Speaker 2: Her under the water. Yes, yeah, well, said winner women.
Speaker 4: Trump's victory Russia and a golden era of women's rights in spite of the muling and screeching of the college educated white women of a certain age. His chief of staff, Susie Wiles, will be the first woman to hold a job. It'll soon be safe to play sports again. Women can say Merry Christmas and be attractive without getting publicly shamed, et cetera.
Speaker 3: When are you're gonna learn, ladies, America does not want a female president.
Speaker 2: I think that's they'll take away.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that was an attempt, and I emphasize attempt at humor, ladies, and I apologize for it.
Speaker 2: Scott jameson Grat on the Yeah.
Speaker 3: I heard somebody say the other day, how about try something different than pantsuits? Two pantsuit ladies who bring in effeminate men to be their underlings, try something different?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Uh, Margaret thatcher or dresses didn't she?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I don't care what they wear, wear anything at and wear nothing.
Speaker 4: Scott Jennings Great on CNN, Very reasonable, smart conservative, Mark Halpern, who's independent reporting in sober analysis, much of which you heard mentioned here on The Armstrong and Getty Show, is vastly superior and more informative than the mainstream media is hackish, hyperventilating. Another example of new media just whooping the old and then some other obscure stuff. The PI Israel winner the.
Speaker 3: Pant suit thing is actually interesting and I learned this from listening to Sarah i Isiger in the Dispatch. I hadn't known about level one, level two, level three feminism, but like level two feminism or whatever, maybe one was the pants suit. It's like, see, we can be just like men. We've got our version of suits and here we are in the workplace. And then like the next level of feminism, No, I can dress like kind of hot, like a woman likes two sometimes in a skirt and high heels, and also be effective. And I think that would be helpful to get away from that old level of pants suit thingy. I think there is sort of a subliminal thing going on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to free you by demanding you adhere to our stereotypes and our orders. You will work outside the home. You will turn your nose up at raising children and being the leader of the family. You will make money for a corporation, and you will wear pants in the name of freedom, right right, Yeah. Level threes where whatever you want, do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: And I tell you what that's.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if there's a name for guys like I'll just speak for myself, who are like women can do whatever they want.
Speaker 2: And achieve whatever they want.
Speaker 4: And who the hell am I to tell them that it's more satisfying to make another half of a percent for your corporation as opposed to raising children and being the actual functional chief operating officer as a family.
Speaker 2: You do what you want. I trust you to make the decision.
Speaker 4: I don't believe in browbeating people to conformed to some sort of, you know, prefab image of what.
Speaker 2: They ought to be.
Speaker 4: I find it disgusting no matter what you know label it puts on itself. We're going over the winners and losers from the recent election. Loser number one, Come on, Joe Biden. The experts told us sleepy Joe would be the most consequential president since FDR. When he dropped out in July, those same experts compared Biden to George Washington, praising his selfless act as political courage.
Speaker 2: He will not be remembered that way now.
Speaker 4: In reality, Biden's decision to run for reelection rights Andrew Styles will be remembered as one of the most reckless acts of political hubris and American history. His selection of Kamala Harris as a running mate in twenty twenty, his decision to immediately endorse her, also regarded as monumental blunders. This is the legacy Biden deserves.
Speaker 3: They met Trump and Biden met for two hours yesterday. I find that pretty interesting alone. What were they talking about? Trump says, they talked a lot about you and talked a lot about Israel. But two hours, that's a pretty serious conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely, I have no doubt. I'm glad to hear it. Honestly.
Speaker 4: Another loser, of course, Tim Walltz oh right, the camo hat guy who prod around, pranced around on stage, and lied constantly about China and other weird things. He was supposed to help the Hair's campaign appeal to men. He pretended to go pheasant hunting, cackled with the ladies of the U, and played video games with AOC. He said Republicans were weird. Trump won mail voters by thirteen.
Speaker 3: Points, right, And obviously, if you're going to pick somebody out of the whole crowd that was weird.
Speaker 2: He was almost certainly the weirdest. And I'm a knucklehead at times.
Speaker 4: Another losers, other losers, the Obamas, and you know, he talked about various things, but they tried to shame black men into voting for Kamala, scolding the brothers for hating women.
Speaker 2: Oh, go away, please go away.
Speaker 4: Other losers Alex Soros, who's the son of billionaire George Soros who funneled hundreds of million dollars of dollars into the Democrats in twenty twenty four, hanging out with him at elite conferences, inviting them to his swanky Manhattan pad, et cetera. And some other people you've never heard of. The mainstream media journalists are the worst. They scolded the American people for feeling stressed about the economy and thinking, but Biden was too old to run for reelection. They still don't understand why no one trusts them or takes them seriously. They try to put their thumbs on the scale for Harris, but it made no difference due to their rapidly diminishing credibility and relevance.
Speaker 2: They will learn nothing and carry on into the void.
Speaker 3: Speaking of spending money, did you see that Kamala Harris's campaign gave Al Sharpton a half a million dollars five hundred thousand dollars they gave to Kamala before he did the glowing interview with her. Wow, what kind of shakedown is that? And I can't believe that they play that game with Al freaking Sharpton. You gave him a half a million so he do a softball interview with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, more losers the Lincoln Project go away, shameless griff. There's criminals, terrorists in Iran. Not even Ben Rhodes can save you.
Speaker 2: Now, Losers.
Speaker 3: That Al Sharpton thing pisses me off because that interview got a fair amount of play in mainstream media because she was addressing, you know, the black community and all that sort of stuff. He did wouldn't do the interview unless he got a half a million dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Can we have some sort of giant statement from you know, the black folks in America, fabulous loyal Americans who disavowed the very concept of Al Sharpton being a spokesperson for anybody.
Speaker 5: Arm Strong, the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: This is interesting and not terribly shocking. Well, I guess when you get down to the the granular details, it is fairly shocking. But Americans are more reliant than ever on government aid. An aging population, economic distress raised dependence on federal and state support, and it matters a hell of a lot for our elections. As you might guess, Wall Street Journal looking into a major study. This is little graphics heavy, but I can interpret it for you. They're talking about the share of personal income from government assistance. How in how many counties is it twenty five percent or more? In nineteen seventy, government safety Net money accounted for significant income. That's more than twenty five percent. Twenty five percent or more in fewer than one percent of America's counties.
Speaker 2: So say that again. In one year in nineteen seventy, it was less than one percent. Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: In two thousand it went from less than one percent to roughly ten percent. That's the year twenty ten percent, which a tenfold increase is not minor. In the year twenty twenty two, fifty three percent, more than half of US counties drew at least a quarter of their income from government eight.
Speaker 3: So this is we were talking about this last week, and now that it's the average person in the bottom quintile. I know this is a lot of complicated talking, but the bottom twenty percent of income earners in America get on average sixty eight thousand dollars per household of transfer payments, and that's left out of every argument about we have the highest inequality of any nation.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 3: They never include this stuff and what you just talked about there, that's never included in these conversations from Bernie Sanders or probably Tim Walls tonight in the debate. People live in paycheck to paycheck. Well, more people are getting the handouts from the government than ever before by a lot. And as we've discussed with Craig the healthcare guru, socialism is not a light switch. It's a a fungus oh that spreads across a country, and it's programmed benefits and yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: It starts hating across there's just no stopping it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the big reasons for this dramatic growth are interesting. Some of them I think most conservatives would reject out of hand, But it gets a little complicated when you dig into it. There are much larger share of Americans who are seniors. Period, we're living longer and we've aged as a population, we're not having kids anymore. And healthcare raw sorry, healthcare costs have risen fairly dramatically as they've gotten more fantastic. The technology we have at our disposal to keep ourselves healthy and alive is truly awe inspiring.
Speaker 2: But it costs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And as my doctor said last week, what exactly is the point? Sometimes he wanted, as we just get you know, our brains don't work, our bodies don't work, but we hang around longer at a great expense.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, it could be the money is the point in at least some situations, although it's I understand it's an odd conundrum that a person could sit around rubbing their chin thinking about for a long time. You're not going to turn down medical advances because it's every advance is an incremental step. It can lead toward other advances or cures or what have you. But at the same time, you and your doctor are quite right, Hey, good news, we can keep alzheimer suffering Granny alive for one more year. We can stave off for cancer with this new gene therapy. Blah blah blah. What are we doing here? Yeah, anyway to get back to the major thread of the thing, ERNI here blah blah. At the same time, many communities, so it's the aging and the development of metaical technology.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 4: At the same time, any communities have suffered from economic client because of the challenges, including the loss of manufacturing, leaving government money is the larger share of people's income in such places.
Speaker 2: You know, I could bore you to death.
Speaker 4: I won't because I do this for a living and kind of enjoy getting the paycheck. But one of the big debates in conservative circles these days is the question of the reagan Esque free trade global economy conservatives versus what's being called the new conservatism or whatever you want to call it. And everybody's always government conservatism. Some people call it, yeah, industrial planning, you know. Sometimes people even call it central planning what have you, and are bellowing at each other about it, as if the solutions and the questions and answers are very simple.
Speaker 2: They're not at all. They're trillions of dollars at stake.
Speaker 4: So I understand why the people making lots and lots of money want to keep that money flowing. They don't care how much unemployment there is in rural Pennsylvania, for instance. At the same time, oh oh, and the other point I was going to make on the side of the new Conservatives back in Reagan's day, we didn't have a situation where our chief global adversary is our one of our chief trading partners, technology partners, and practically indispensable to the world economy. So if you are pitching free global trade of a reaganesque sort, you are pitching continued interaction slash dependence with China, which is just a bad idea. Times have changed, the arguments have to change too, So I have sympathy with both sides, but it is not simple. So for its analysis of government spending, EIG, which is the folks doing the analysis, used a government definition of income that includes spending on programs that Americans pay into, such as Medicare and Social Security. Another major government health program, Medicaid, is counted. The analysis also includes unemployment insurance, food stamps, the Earned Income Tax Credit, veterans benefits, pell grants, COVID era payments, and other income supports. States helped pay for some of these programs, like Medicaid, but the federal government covers roughly seventy percent of the cost, and it doesn't include other ways government spending floods into corners of America, such as farm subsidies or military bases. So this spending accounts for big and growing share of not only the income of the nation but also our national debt. We are addicted to government spending slash social programs as a country.
Speaker 3: There's no weaning off that either. I don't believe you can go backwards, so I don't think it's possible, but you do have.
Speaker 4: To be honest about the dollars and cents coming and going, and we're headed for a cliff. So we went from one percent nineteen seventy to over half now correct.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Not very many people can tell you that Armstrong and Getty