Speaker 1: I'm gonna do everything I can to be out there.
Speaker 2: You know. You know, I feel I feel a lot better today than I would have thought. So I like him progressing, and you know, I'm gonna do everything I can to be out there on Thursday.
Speaker 3: So you haven't heard it from the man himself. I'm kind of Annie Stevens, brand Sex and John Oser here for Jags am as we get ready for Thursday night football. And Trevor Lawrence was about as candidate as he could be. He said he really wants to play this week. He's gonna do everything he can to be out there. Brian, where do we think he's at with it? He seems optimistic about it, But it's a short week.
Speaker 1: I still think it's a going toss. I mean, I still think there's a lot of people that read into that, oh, he's playing for sure. I don't think it's for sure.
Speaker 4: I think if its for sure, I think he's for sure. I think he's gonn to play. I think he's gonna get through it. I think they're going to try to protect him with play calling and you know, basically get down if there's any danger.
Speaker 5: But I think he's playing. But I agree with you. I'm not ninety nine percent. I put it fifty one percent.
Speaker 1: But the key word is, I think right, I think we're all kind of what do we think? What do we guess? What is it going to be? We don't know. I think it legitimately comes down John too. You know tomorrow he's warm up.
Speaker 3: It might be a legitimate game time decision. I'm with you, guys. So our first big thing, of course, is about Trevor. So it's yes, no, maybe, So we'll have to find out. Obviously, Trevor talked. He said he's gonna do everything he can to get out there, but also we talked a little bit about what it's like to play hurt and the things you need to think about going forward.
Speaker 2: Of course, this game is about toughness and it's about at times playing through injuries. I think there's a I mean it's but it's also you got to be smart and you know the position that we're in and because there's there's guys every week that have injuries and might sit out, it might not, and you know they're looking for the long haul of not just for themselves but also for the team because you want you want your guys to be healthy in crunch time this season, down the stretch, you know. So, like I said, there's there's a lot of questions that you have to answer. There's not a right answer to any of them. I think some guys are more conservative when it comes to injuries and some guys are. Some guys play through more and some guys don't. So it depends who you are, what you're comfortable with. The biggest thing is you got to feel confident going on that field, whether you decide to play or not. You got to feel comfortable with what you're doing and confident. You've got to go play because you can't play this game hesitating at all. So I think that's that's a question that obviously everyone asks themselves when they're dealing with anything.
Speaker 3: John Trevor certainly has that personality type. He wants to play through something if he can play through it. But there's also the fact that I think it's a little more serious injury might be more of a concern, but when it's gutting through it. He also talked about having that confidence right, you need to be confident when you're out there and he's playing with a bracelet practice the other day, he said he wasn't quite sure about it. How much of it will be him being comfortable with the brace and with his limitations.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it'll be ninety percent how he feels on Thursday, and he was asked about this, and he has to be honest with himself. It's a different thing when a quarterback doesn't play compared to another position. It's a vastly different thing. These guys take pride in it. You know, it's your record as a starter, Brian, and how many starts you have.
Speaker 1: He's never missed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's never missed.
Speaker 4: He's also really never played through anything like this, so there is uncertainty. It's easy to say, well, he should tough it out. Well, he's never done it, so he's not quite sure what tough it out means versus what injury risk is.
Speaker 5: That's what he'll lean on the trainers for.
Speaker 4: Again, I think he gives it a go, and I'm fine with him giving it a go as long as they don't think that that risks him getting more injured.
Speaker 1: Let me present it this way. If it was a December game in the division for the division title, would he play, well? Yeah, absolutely, well, then he plays, But the vacuum here is is it's the third game in twelve days against a non conference, non division opponent. You know, do we risk it? There's still more games on the other side. Yeah, but you're not going fifteen to two. I don't buy that argument. I think you have to have a big picture look. And I can go back to ninety seven with Mark Brunell who played through the ACL and he was never the same. And I get it different injury, but you have to have a long term approach with your quarterback, which is what I think need to be mixed in here.
Speaker 3: And we have to remember there are injuries elsewhere on this team as well, which could affect them for sure. Big Easy is our second big thing of the day because it's only a Big Easy. But it's not going to be easy because it's hard to play in the Supernome and it's hard to play on Thursday night football Done. Talked a little bit about that earlier this week.
Speaker 6: You know, we can't control the schedule, obviously, but I honestly don't think our team really cares that much about when and where and who we play. I mean, it's yes, you're guaranteed a home game after you know, after the London trip and all of that, which is great, but after that, I mean, yeah, you just you go to the next one. And I honestly believe that our players really don't pay much attention to that, you know, nor do we. I mean, it's it's uh, the schedule comes out in May and we see it, and you know, we're excited for it.
Speaker 3: So Doug's never wants to make excuses when it comes to the schedule, certainly. And the thing about Thursday football affects both teams the same. They both in a short week, and the Saints didn't played well last week, so.
Speaker 5: It's hurt them too.
Speaker 1: You know, there are some players in this league that are very vocal about not liking the Thursday night game. There are none of the rest of them just don't like it, right right, There are none of those guys in this locker room, because you know, I was in there yesterday as you guys probably were, and they all just have the mental attitude. We just got to go power through it. The flip side is now we get the mini by you get the weekend off and more time to get ready for the Steelers. I don't think anybody would choose it except they love the check. It comes with a big check. It's a billion dollar deal, so they're not going to see this thing go away. But I don't get the sense, you know. I can think of a couple of players in particular in different markets where they really hate the Thursday night game and every time their team has to play, they let everybody know how much they don't like it. That hasn't been the case this week. Talking to Evan ingram In particularly goes, we just can't change it, Let's go play.
Speaker 3: I think that's an interesting approach because they're never gonna change it, and the amount that people complain about it.
Speaker 7: Yes, it sucks, but it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a couple of different factors here too. It's really not the same for both teams. It's not the same for the road team at all. It's a really difficult situation for the road team compared to the home team because of the day and the travel.
Speaker 5: And then for the Jaguars this week there is.
Speaker 4: A little bit of another factor. You're already kind of beat up, and then you're going to plan on that turf, which a couple players told me yesterday at Turf's tough.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's hard on everybody they have to deal with it.
Speaker 4: I still think the Jaguars win, but I think this is obvious, say logistically at a as tough as tests as you're gonna face when you factor in London on the front end.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: And our final big thing today is gonna be think takeaways because as we know, these Sursday night games, they can get pretty ugly, pretty sloppy. So it's gonna be defensive battle. And the defense has been the calling card of this team. So for the season, they've made a lot of takeaways so far and they're hoping to continue that going forward.
Speaker 8: I think, uh, it really just comes down to taking advantage of your opportunity. We've been able to touch the ball and guys that coming down with it. You know, Josh had a strip sack wherever, you get a couple of fumbles, So it's just being able to, you know, take advantage of opportunities. We always talk about the numbers favor us, so if we get more guys around the ball, we have opportunity to take the ball away. So that's what we try to do and we're doing a decent job right now.
Speaker 3: John dos this matchup look like one of those like defensive kind of like low scoring situations to you or how do you think it might play out?
Speaker 5: You know it does, but I also didn't doing this long enough as soon.
Speaker 4: As I say that it's going to be one, but it does. That's why both teams are playing right now. And to me, if you're if this defense is what I'm starting to think it is, which is a turnover forcing defense that forces other teams to do things they don't want to do, then I think you can win this game.
Speaker 5: I think you can win this game doing that. And this is one where.
Speaker 4: I think everybody's sort of come around now Brian to talking about how good this defense is and how much they force turnovers.
Speaker 5: Well, this is sort of okay, Well we've said you're that, go do it, Go do it.
Speaker 4: Because the circumstances are tricky.
Speaker 5: The X factor I think is Tyson Campbell be an out. I don't like that at all. No.
Speaker 1: Look, two weeks ago the Saints scored thirty four points and blank the New England Patriots shut them out. That doesn't happen to Bill Belichick, even on lesser talented teams very often, so they can put points up because they've got big receivers who can run. Chrys A Lovey can get down the field. And without Monterrek Brown, you know, the matchup with Michael Thomas is not it's not comforting. Michael Pittman, who I think is an average guy. Uh, you know, went for more than a hundred and mostly because monterk wasn't ready. So there are some situations there. But Derek Carr will turn the ball over. He'll give it to you. And if this defense is going to be opportunistic, this is a great night. You get a takeaway or two, you win this ball game.
Speaker 3: And I think if they do it early as well, because Derek Carr has been having some issues with the play calling over there. They're getting in some scuffles and whatnot, So I think if we can get them in fighting early, that might be very helpful. Stay with the Sierra on Jagsam. We're going to do a little list.
Speaker 7: Or that after the break, this this for that, we're back, what's this or that?
Speaker 3: This week?
Speaker 1: I'm gon stay with the theme that I have. All Right, it's a short week, there's not that many different storylines, but let me let me present it a different way. Press Taylor said the other day that it was going to be a n eating of the minds. Right, it would be the quarterbacks, the coach, the trainer, and they would get together and decide. So my question is is it Trevor's call or is it the coach's call? At this point in his career, third season, has he earned the right to make that call himself or do you protect the quarterback? And of course we're assuming that it isn't completely right. If it's completely right, then he plays no doubt. But whose call is it?
Speaker 3: I think it might be one of those injuries that isn't so severe that they need to override him. I think it might be if he wants to play, they'll let him play. That's my intuition to how they've been speaking on it.
Speaker 1: Pat Mahomes got to make the call to go back into the game in Kansas City in January because he's Pat Mahomes and he's won a Super Bowl and now he's won two. So it's just an interesting question because at another point in his career, it's going to be a more serious injury or a hamstring or something that keeps him out right, and then it'll be about him coming back. Has he earned the right to make that call.
Speaker 4: I think Mahomes is a good example because Trevor's on the sidelines watching that last year, and there is a point with NFL quarterbacks where you need to be able to.
Speaker 5: Do some version of that.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying if he doesn't do it that he doesn't have Pat Mahomes his guts, because some of it's gonna be the trainer saying okay, or the trains and doctors saying, okay, we're fine with you making this decision medical right now. It's up to you. But to me, if it gets to that point, he plays, I think so if he's.
Speaker 5: Okay to play, he's gonna play, and I think he plays all right.
Speaker 3: John winning that for this.
Speaker 4: Or this or that I believe was I think it was more important Traves Tan or Josh Allen and uh, you know it's.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a silly question because they're both important.
Speaker 4: But I think tonight, because on on Thursday night, because I'm not expecting huge points, I think Josh Allen and collectively the defense are more important because this team needs I think Josh to have one of those big play Josh Allen moments in the first half set a tone. What better start for this team than if he could sack fumble by the quarterback, get some sort of ball bouncing into the air that the Jaguars get, and then all of a sudden they're on the sidelines found like, oh okay, this is how this is our formut this is how they say we could do it. We could do it. So I think he can have more impact unless Travis briks up.
Speaker 5: A nine yard run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'll go with Alan because I think on offense, if Travis Etn is bottled up, you know, there are more options right on the defensive side. Right now, the only pass rusher that they really have in terms of getting to the quarterback is Josh. If Etn is bottled up, you know, here comes Angram, here comes Christian Kirk, Calvin Ridley can get off. But on the defensive side, it still all comes down to number forty one making that play. Maybe Trayvon becomes that guy, but we haven't seen that yet. So I say, Alan, I'm gonna make a little prediction. You're exactly right. I think third day night prime time. Uh, some player aside from Josh makes that play.
Speaker 5: We're talking about and it's sitting on the desk after the game. Yeah, not y his.
Speaker 3: The the game, if you will.
Speaker 4: The hosts. That happens on those nights where all of a sudden, some guy's a starr.
Speaker 5: That you didn't expect. Maybe Smooter Smooter.
Speaker 1: I go back, smooth Smooter friends with Smitter.
Speaker 5: No, nobody's nickname basis we love it.
Speaker 3: My this or that this week is if you could choose or bigger win to you, would it be being shorthanded finding a way to get a win on Thursday night?
Speaker 5: Footballer?
Speaker 3: Is the bigger win next week when you go to the Steelers and you can have that win going into the buy.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: I always struggle with these because the win's a win, and they all count the same.
Speaker 4: In the NFL, can count a little bit more. Yeah, I would say this is more impressive because you're gonna have ten days of prayer for the Steelers.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know that the Steelers.
Speaker 4: They're probably about the same team right now, the Steelers of inconsistent, the Saints of inconsistent. So I would say circumstantially, London Colts four days going over there on the road on Thursday night and winning all those elements say you'll lose. I think ten days before the Steelers says you win.
Speaker 5: So I'd say.
Speaker 4: Tonight would be more impressive.
Speaker 5: I think fans and hate the Steelers historically would life the other one better.
Speaker 1: I always want to beat the Steelers always, and I can remember there being some games, and one ninety eight in particular, where the Jaguars were the better team and Mark Brunel throw two pick sixes to Dwayne Washington at the old three Rivers.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: No, always beating the Steelers. Plus it's an AFC.
Speaker 3: Team, two tough road environments. So I'll take two wins, but we'll see what we end up getting out of that. Stay with us. We're gonna come right back after the break and go over a little bit of he will, he won't, he might, And me think we'll show out in this game on Thursday. Looking now at he will, he won't. He might present it to us by Sebeth as we're looking at players at whirling at that might play a big role on Thursday. Brian, you picked Evan this week.
Speaker 1: I'll go with Evan. I think Evan will be that guy on on Thursday night in New Orleans. He will have a really big game. You mentioned earlier that at the quarterback, and we could try to make it easy on him. That's seventeen. You know, he is that guy who makes tough catches. He's always open, He'll be at the chains. So I say he will become the go to guy. He'll have the big night. He won't make that you know, dramatic one handed catch every once in a while, but when he.
Speaker 5: Does everyone last week well, and I was talking.
Speaker 1: To him about that. I said, when I look when you looked at your hand, I wonder did you break it because you wouldn't stop looking at it. He goes, I was just amazed at it, and we were too. I don't know that he'll have that kind of a catch, but this might be a two touchdown game for him. It might be that that game like he had in in Nashville last year, when we have eleven catches, sixteen targets and one hundred and sixty yards and two touchdowns. I just see him becoming that guy that the quarterback wants to get the ball to as quickly as possible. I think the Saints are going to stack the line of scrimmage. They're big bodies inside there's not that Josh Allen kind of pass rusher. You know, Cam Jordan's an aging player. I think they'll be very effective against the run, and I think it's going to open things up for somebody. And I think that somebody's Ingram.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you haven't has two touchdowns. I think they win the game, I say comfortably, but I think they'll win the game. So good one. That's one I was gonna do. And then Ky told me because I think Evan everything broke up yesterday.
Speaker 4: I was talking to him and he said he he couldn't believe how good he felt going into a Thursday game, by the way, and he said there's been games on Thursday where he felt like, you know, walking out the previous Sunday. He wasn't gonna make the game much different this week.
Speaker 1: So he's the guy that told me in the locker room yesterday, why even waste a minute thinking about what could be playing on Sunday. Instead, We've got to go play, so we might as well have a good attitude about it.
Speaker 3: See I'm the opposite, I believe.
Speaker 5: Who's watching his broad I went with Trayvon Walker.
Speaker 4: He will play well because he always plays well. He's played well every game so far this year, and there's no reason to think what they asked him to do he's gonna come off of that. He might be the most consistently good player in the defense right now outside of Tyson Campbell. And it includes Josh Allen who has big plays, but Trayvon's playing really well. He won't have a big sack night because I don't think he's gonna be a big sack guy in his career. So I'm gonna stop framing my conversation about Trayvon like that. He might be the most underappreciated, over criticized guy on this team right now.
Speaker 5: I get the whole draft thing.
Speaker 7: To me.
Speaker 4: There's three guys I want on the field for the Jaguars on defense. It's Trayvon Walker, Josh Allen, and is Tyson Campbell. And they're all uber important, and I don't know how they replace any three of any of those three guys if they're off the field. For that reason, I'm worried about cornerback this week, But Josh Allen and Trayvon Walker are the reason that, or not the only reason. They're huge reasons why this team's third in the NFL in rushing defense, why they have so many takeaways, They are really stout up front. Those two guys are big reasons why.
Speaker 1: You know, going back and watching the tape, He's not that Josh Allen edge rusher. He just doesn't get there. But on the sack.
Speaker 5: That he did, dominate against the run.
Speaker 1: Dominant against the run, I mean he takes and jacks up that right tackle and the tight end. If you go back and watch the Bills game. But last week against the Colts, Johnny re member, he came off that left edge of the defense and screamed over the center. I mean, he's such a powerful inside rusher. I wonder if his hand on the ground more often lined up as a big end, as a Kalais Campbell kind of end, might not be where his best.
Speaker 5: Then they eventually get to I mean, they've got a.
Speaker 1: Plan, and I'm not trying to be a defensive mind. I just see the inside rush with him and think he does that better. And yet everybody looks at him and says, well, why is he not rushing the bowl like the edge rushers that we see because he's not an edge rush.
Speaker 4: If you like this team being good on defense, He's a big reason you don't want him.
Speaker 5: Off the field.
Speaker 3: I love to see it to see that from Freybon. I went defense for my pick as well. I picked Devin Lloyd because he missed those two games. I think he will be a big part of this win because it's going to be defensive if they get a win on Thursday Night football, so he'll be a big part of it. He missed those two games after he had hand surgery, but he came back in this last game against the Colts and he showed out really well. He had a dropped interception, so I will say he won't have an interception because of that cast on his hand. He is playing very well, so I don't think that'll slow him down. He might be able to force a fumble, throw the cast in there and knock something out. Unfortunately, I don't think his interception time is coming right now. Until he can get the cast off from his hand, I think he might.
Speaker 4: I think sitting on the desk, he's the game, uh, because he's always.
Speaker 5: Around the ball.
Speaker 1: That's the guy they drafted, the guy who was the Associated Press College Player of the Year at Utah. And the reason I bring that up is is all those great defensive players at Georgia and Alabama that year were not. He was eight sacks, a couple of interceptions, forced fumbles, fumbles recovered. Even with the cast, he was where he needed to be. I think that's a great choice. And you know, we talked about Trayvon Walker playing well. I won't be surprised if in a month we're not talking about Devin Lloyd playing at a very high level.
Speaker 5: Also, well, it's not.
Speaker 4: They're both playing well and it's not coincidental. You drafted them in the first round last year, second year this.
Speaker 5: Year, and be the reason you're a good defense last.
Speaker 1: Year, especially after the first month, I don't know that he would have been in the position to intercept those balls, let alone pull it in right. The game is much slower for him. He focused on that, He was very mindful in the offseason, called it down and he's impressive. And I think before this year is over, we'll be talking about this two first dround picks stepping up in their second year.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, all right, stay with us, we'll have our previews for the weekend. A little bit of sneak peek of miked up for ten years, Dreamfinders' Homes has been proud to call themselves the official homebuilder of the Jacksonville Jaguars. You can visit dreamfinders homes dot com for all of the available inventory and go Jags Jags fans if you also, if you want some customized Jaguars furniture for your home, you can check out zipchare dot com to browse all customizable options. Zipchair is furniture for fans.
Speaker 2: I've pumped the hit. You're like wide open this first play, we don't need it, but later on we're gonna hit that. Hey, lock back here, baby, let's go back down, let's go. We'll play we Gondy.
Speaker 5: Forever drops blogs fires deep downfield. Got a man that's Christians kirkside conject about.
Speaker 1: I told you, I told you, I told you, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 3: I knew it. Yeah, sixteen this week miked up. And we know his trash talk isn't the best, but it is nice to hear how he organizes the offense.
Speaker 1: If he wanted trash talk lessons, who would he go to in the locker room? I don't know who's the best trash talker on the team.
Speaker 5: Racial Oh and uh and just like Cam.
Speaker 4: With Cam, it's almost like it's almost not trash talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah with him, Okay, Ray show is probably a good call. He probably can talk it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Trevor's just he's very sweet and I think that's just his demeanor. I don't think he can.
Speaker 4: Do it, can pull it out every now and then when it has to, not constantly it's written.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I'll bet he can talk as well.
Speaker 3: All right, coming up Thursday night? What do we think You think the chicks can pull it out on Thursday night football?
Speaker 4: Yes, I do, and it almost feels a little bit like a house money game.
Speaker 5: If they win, I'm really impressed.
Speaker 4: With him because it's a hard game to go win. Doug Peterson, I don't think he's ever lost on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Night, So.
Speaker 4: If that's wrong, I bought it. That's my understanding. If they win, it's an impressive, impressive win. If they don't, it's not at the end of the world. But then all of a sudden, you gotta come back and win the next week.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm leaning with you, guys. I mean, I think he's probably going to play. That's just a gut feeling. But even if he doesn't, you look at what the Browns were able to do against the Niners with the backup quarterback right, the rest of the team stepped up. The running game was really good, the defense was dominant. Same thing with the Jets. They played Jalen Hurts and AJ Brown in that passing offense. Philly without Sauce Gardner and DJ Reid and the rest of them stepped up. This team is talented enough that the rest of the team can step up and you can go beat the Saints on a Thursday.
Speaker 4: Night And I don't think they could have won this in Week four, No, but I think the way they're playing now, they understand what's being asked of them and they're confident in it.
Speaker 5: So I think they can. And if they don't, I'm not that worried about it.
Speaker 3: Thursdays are weird. Let's hope it happens. We hope all of our viewers enjoy Thursday night football, and of course the weekend off as well. I'll be covered on game day and we'll be back here on Jagsam on Monday