Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Unite turned Auto Workers. Hey Union, my name is Jack Dad Over there, Well that's Miles Miles.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, the guy's love that voice.
Speaker 2: Really that. I mean, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: He it's he's like still learning to talk, but he will always do that back to me if I go demon boy, He's like, I'm like, oh shit, all right, man, you take after your old man.
Speaker 2: You'll be doing an Australian accent no time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was doing bits with my kids the other day. I was like, did my dad ever do like bits like voices and like just dumb shit. Yeah, I'm sure he did.
Speaker 2: But anyway, you're like, did my father do bit?
Speaker 3: Was my father a bit? Idiot?
Speaker 2: Idiot? H Miles? How are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. I'm doing great.
Speaker 4: We just had a fantastic recording with the One and Only mister Cold Brew.
Speaker 3: Sorry to tease that out, but.
Speaker 2: That's I was there too, so I don't Yeah, yeah, I just want to let people know. It's one of that people know.
Speaker 1: You get ready for safety your loins A gross phrase that is I think people said though in history, So I didn't just make it up.
Speaker 2: If that weird did you have.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: To gird your loins?
Speaker 3: This means like get ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gird yourself is like you know, I always pictured as like, you know, flexing and getting into a crouch like a giant wave is about to.
Speaker 2: Hit right right right, But we're also not doing miles. I didn't, did you. I didn't realize that it's about tying your tunic up for battle. Okay, gird your loins.
Speaker 4: Boy, Yeah, there's like a whole thing is like how to gird your loins, And it's like a dude in a tunic who's just like, yeah, man, wrap that ship around your balls because it's it's fighting time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you don't want that ship flapping around. No.
Speaker 1: We we both had truly brutal loss in the NBA PLO.
Speaker 2: We're not going to talk about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean it's.
Speaker 4: Fine because I've already accepted. I've already I look. I said this in multiple chats. I said this to Prop and Sophie Lichterman and other Laker fans.
Speaker 3: I know, when they were.
Speaker 4: Getting all turned up for the performance that was happening in Game two.
Speaker 2: I said, bro, this season's over.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't care how much they're leading by. It ain't happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure enough, we got We both got matching dick kicks.
Speaker 3: As I said, who got matching?
Speaker 4: The Sixers got a fucked up into their game with the Lakers alside of Fu Up and Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Meme with both of us pointing at each other while being kicked in. The Dickers lost in brutal, heartbreaking fashion. They were up like five with uh you know, less than a minute to go and ended up losing it.
Speaker 4: Brunton had a terrible game, and he's like, let me just bring the game closer with this bouncy off the rim.
Speaker 1: Three and to the Kawhi Leonard shot. Also, you're allowed to tackle people in the final minute of the game.
Speaker 2: Nobody told us that.
Speaker 3: If they told us.
Speaker 2: That, we would have played differently.
Speaker 3: Man was definitely confused after that.
Speaker 1: He was like, yeah, there, yeah, And then the Lakers were up twenty in the second half and game winner.
Speaker 2: This was a difficult night of basketball.
Speaker 4: It look like I said in another thread with Jabbari and you, it's hard to watch if you have expectations.
Speaker 2: I expected that to happen, so I was like, yeah, here they go go ahead and do your thing, bro, and we want to bring Darvin Ham back. Okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah I try not to watch Sixers games. And then you and Jabbari are.
Speaker 5: Like whoa, wow, golly wow that yeah you get think, golly, get on, and then just got my heart ripped out of my rib cage.
Speaker 3: It was yeah.
Speaker 4: See, that's the fun part about watching as a neutral is you get to be invested in it, like whereas I'm sure other people watch.
Speaker 2: The Lakers like oh this could be interesting, and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I forget it, but eh, if there were some gay moments, some Golley moments.
Speaker 1: There were some golly all right, let's talk about people that are winning, winning, yes, winners unions right now. Basically, the United Auto Workers ratified their contracts with the big three automakers in November. We heard about that one that was big, huge, and then now they've also there's a reason when for the UAW at a Volkswagen plant in Tennessee and everyone's like, shop, the fuckers.
Speaker 4: Don't give the labor movement any more fucking props, I mean, like for them for it to be described as like historic and stuff.
Speaker 3: It wasn't front page news.
Speaker 4: It was buried somewhere, you know, in the recesses of the Washington Post or New York Times. But you know, despite the tepid response from the newspapers, the governors of Texas, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Georgia, they collect sively fired off this warning, which was quote, we want to keep good paying jobs and continue to grow the American auto manufacturing sector. Here, a successful unionization drive will stop this growth in its tracks. And that's what you're like growth for who? Yeah, because how are you going to tell somebody who's working for wages that their wages not growing is somehow growth?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reason this is bad for big business is that, you know, these state governments are able to recruit like German automakers to the US by being like, hey, and we can treat our laborers like shit, shit, it's cool man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's specifically a quote German workers don't relish competing with cheaper foreign in this case the United States labor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's right, and like they're like it's cool. Yeah, man, it's cool, bro. You can you can absolutely take advantage of this labor force out here.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think that's what is interesting about this case, right, is like cause again, like you said, these governors they are taking it there. They're kind of having some ownership of this because of the amounts of subsidies that they give away to bring the foreign automakers here. And that's why this is a special case, because there are unionized plants in the South, and but this is a foreign plant. And because of the strength of the unions in Europe, like these companies like Volkswagen are just not as horny to go scorts earthed with the union busting. They're just like yeah, man, it's just like out there, like it's a bad look. Like you try to stay neutral in this shit. But the other thing is they've already teamed up with like Coke funded entities to like make their states as hostile to unions as possible. There's there's this group called the American Legislative Exchange Council or ALEC, and they yeah something, good guys, Yeah, yeah, ALEC, Baldwin, good guy, good guy, good guy. But they've been banding about this bill called the Taxpayer Dollars Protect Workers Act that bars that bars state subsidies to any business that recognize is a union.
Speaker 2: Oh ok.
Speaker 4: Another way to put that is that they will pay people to ignore the fuck out of unionization drives and then you can get some state subsidies. So up next is a Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. If you read the New York Times, like their labor reporters sort of like, well, I don't know, maybe because't something cold happen. Probably not, Probably doesn't to worry about here. But if you if you talk to like union United Autoworkers organizers.
Speaker 2: They are very confident that they are going to have the.
Speaker 3: Numbers to win.
Speaker 4: So, you know, I think the Red the governor in Alabama, has only like one tactic in trying to convince workers to avoid unions, and it's essentially just saying, like, just make less money, right.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, no.
Speaker 4: Okay, but they're going to be the party talking to the working class, right.
Speaker 3: Uh. But who knows?
Speaker 1: I mean, is that an option for companies to just ignore union like unions just ignore it?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think what they're doing is it's mostly that they of the collection of union authorization cards. Is what the language that they're using. So it's going to be the bills are probably going to be signed. I think Brian Kemp and Georgia is about to sign it. K Ivy is about to sign it in Alabama. Like like, it's just so wild, how like these coke funded groups are like, all right, all these auto plants in the South, We've got bills for all you governors to make this shit obviously the most hostile shit to workers as possible and pro corporation as much as possible.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll keep an eye on that. Yeah, maybe maybe the mainstream media might not.
Speaker 4: But it's just weird how they don't want to keep giving like fanning the momentum of the late organized labor movement because like just let people know that this is a way to fucking have, you know, collective power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we have a couple updates on the un RWA or the UN Relief Works Association. That's the group that is you know, UN workers who are trying to do like humanitarian aid that had Israel basically say they are like terrorists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which yeah, seemed weird at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and it was very interesting too because that allegation caused a lot of Western nations, you know, other settler colonial nations, be like, well.
Speaker 3: Then we're pulling funding. You said they're Hamas well, then no way.
Speaker 4: And this was the main relief agency that was helping Palestinian people, So like this was very intentional to be like, we're going to take away any sort of support mechanisms that exist for you.
Speaker 3: Well, guess what.
Speaker 4: The UN conducted their own investigation in like specifically not about how many people were involved on October seventh, because that's a separate allegation, but there was allegations of like militancy within the within this organization. The UN and multiple human rights organizations said they they could find no evidence that these people were like actively militant or had like ties to Hamas, and they said the Israeli government specifically said this specifically in their report has not provided supporting evidence for this allegation at all. As they were asking them, we're like, well, we're doing an investigation, Like we can't get that to you.
Speaker 1: Quite quite yet, We're still doing the investigation. And while we are, we feel like the best course of action is to act as though we have found evidence of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And meanwhile, you know there's the reports of like mass grave, like this mass grave at a hospital in Gaza, and the Secretary of State like when asked about it, he's.
Speaker 2: Like, Okay, well, yeah, we'll look into that.
Speaker 4: As if we're talking about someone saying like the water cooler is fucking broken in the breakroom, like we're fucking like, this is just what's so frustrating thing for so many onlookers Like that is such a demonic response when most people understand now like the US has floor seats their front row for this shit, and they're raw rahing it and throwing their bills into the ring, and the best is like, yeah, we'll look into that, and the like the double speak of like well you know there's there's going to be repercussions or whatever. We're not seeing anything like that, and inocent people continue to die.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'd like to say do better, but fucking do better because there's fucking genocide happening. And then that also ties into this Columbia University story. So over the weekend there were you know, like over one hundred pro Palestinian protesters were arrested on the campus of Columbia University. Like the police cleared out this like encampment that the students had set up again because they're saying stop the genocide, and this was wild the New York the NYPD cleared them out and this fucking responsible.
Speaker 3: The New York.
Speaker 4: New York Police Department was criticized by the NYPD. The Chief of Police, John Chell stated that, quote, the students that were arrested were peaceful, offered no resistance whatsoever, and we're saying what they wanted to say in a peaceful manner.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Point the NYPD is like, you're kind of like fucking up here.
Speaker 3: I'll see what the fuck that was all about.
Speaker 4: And then again Monday, we heard that they were moving classes to be held virtually because there was like one group on campus that Columbia's Orthodox Union Jewish Learning Initiatives said that students should stay home. There was another group Columbia and Barnard Helll They said, we don't see a reason for people to stay off of campus, like we have not assessed any danger to students there. But this like goes on again because now people are like the media is doing this thing of conflating anti genocide, anti apartheid, pro piece pro Palestinian nonviolent protest with like like violent anti semitism, and it's true, there are fucking bad actors and there are people who are completely taking this message the complete wrong way.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that that's not happen y.
Speaker 1: They there are anti there's anti Semitism, and like people using this as an opportunity to foster anti semachism online. In reality, for sure, there's also widespread Islamophobia that doesn't get mentioned by the same time.
Speaker 4: And again, but I think with Columbia specifically, it's really important to understand they have they have like no one right now, Like with that unfolding, the only people that were allowed on the campus of Colombia were people who had Columbia University IDs. So a lot of people are looking at protests that are happening just outside of the campus and saying this is part of the Columbia students protest, which has a different energy than the peaceful protests that were happening on campus, like with the students, and I think that's like it's context that isn't really being provided much into something I've read from a lot of the criticism about the coverage of these protests, when again, like the other thing too that they're also these students are protesting, was getting the university to also divest quote from its financial holdings in firms that profit from Israel's war and occupation in Palestine. So it's just yeah, it's it's just fucking mass confusion. But more protests have popped up on other college campuses and solidarity. We saw also at NYU there were the professors were like locking arms to protect the students and their ability to peacefully protest. So it's I don't know, I feel like we're seeing more of like a sea change slightly like in kind of like what we're seeing on like mainstream campuses or whatever. But the real changes need to happen with the US government and actually doing something rather than I don't know, Joe Biden just like kissing his chances of being president goodbye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 1: Typewriter enthusiasts are a group of people. Tom Hanks is one that's about as far as my knowledge of typewriter enthusiasts goes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right. He's like a collector, right, he's a typewriter collector.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's like a brief period where I was like really into writing when I was young, and I was like I should like start using a typewriter.
Speaker 2: That oh that was like you like Hemingway, like a cigarette dangling from your lip. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And then I got one and like that shit is so hard to type on my god, I got like literally I got a sentence into my typewriter era and was like, well, this doesn't work at all for me.
Speaker 3: My pinky hurts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyways, Keller Swift's new album has had a lot of typewriter based imagery and its promotion. There's a lyric reveal video and the music video for the song Fortnite, in which she and posts malone pound away at typewriters, creating some kind of like swirly magical sex cloud thing.
Speaker 2: I know, did the colors have to be so like gender heteronormative. She has alue and hers are pink.
Speaker 4: It's a boy because yeah, and that's how you know that those things were fucking because they wanted to make it clear that yeah, it's blue wave and pink wave.
Speaker 1: But fans even noticed that the typewriter used in the video contained a secret message because it had no number one key. But she's had songs that are like you could have been the one, you know, so this is implying that she has lost her one or no one else is ever going to be the one.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Except in reality, that's how all typewriters were made, because people just used the lower case l's for ones to save space and reduce costs, because you typewriters were like, you know, you paid by the key.
Speaker 4: It's a straight line, man, you need one, you got to you got two ways you can do that on.
Speaker 2: You, But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Paranoid typewriter hobbyists are worried that Taylor Swift's endorsement will lead to an influx of Taylor Swift fans buying old typewriters, which will drive up the cost.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, guys.
Speaker 1: I think the lyrics to the the title song of the album like make fun of Like this is literally the lyrics, right you left your typewriter at my apartment, straight from the Tortured Poets department. I think some things I never say, like who uses typewriters anyway? Damn you were en roasting you for using it.
Speaker 2: That's you, bro. You were you were tortured poets depart department.
Speaker 1: Yeah for someone like I was not tortured enough for someone to stick with it after realizing like al Wes just have computers that are way better, and like the typing on this ship sucks, like it's so hard, is uh Yeah, I was not tortured enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's like someone who's like I only do degerat type potography.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's like, okay, we get it.
Speaker 4: Man, Like you could alter digital image, but you want everybody to stay still while you'd use your phosphorus flash bar.
Speaker 1: That's right, doesn't make it cool. I like the sound of typewriters. I just can't be bothered to actually do the do the work of powering them. Remember word processors word yeah, I'm typing, no, like the.
Speaker 3: All in one machine.
Speaker 4: Because when she was like writing for Japanese magazine and stuff, I remember she would always bring this heavy ass word processor.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: And I was like are there games on there? She's like, get the fuck away from this thing.
Speaker 3: This is my job, and I'm like, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Serious, I mean that's all we had. We had like a whole ass computer. We had like an office desk chair that you could roll around on and a whole ass computer that was only used it like basically only had Microsoft word on it.
Speaker 2: That right free there, SkiFree would be on their mind. Sweep healtare, Yeah, I never we never.
Speaker 1: I never tried to install ski free at home. That was some school shit though.
Speaker 2: Dude, when you set the fucking tree on fire by jumping over it, that was sick.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Was that the one where the yeddi would come out?
Speaker 3: He would come out? Yeah, that part.
Speaker 1: Let's see a millionaire went homeless as a social experiment with the goal of making one million dollars in twelve months, and.
Speaker 4: He did this guy fucking goon, he fucking He's like, I'm going so I'm putting myself into debt, I'm losing all my money and guess what, I'm gonna get to a million bucks. And he's like starts off talking about how he has no home. He's like LARPing as like a working person.
Speaker 3: Basically it was kind of fucking obviously offensive.
Speaker 2: But then like eventually like he started having health.
Speaker 4: Issues and he's like, guys, it's just there's no way to do this like when you have health issues and like health.
Speaker 2: It's not fair and it's not fair.
Speaker 3: It's not here.
Speaker 4: Actually this is like it's not fair enough to do this, so I'm do it anymore, like and he pulled the plug on it.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, nobody in real world, none of the unhoused people that he saw and were like, yeah, right, no way I'm giving them money. If I was them, I would simply get a high paying job and save a million dollars. Those people, fortunately never have health problems and that drive them into debt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so but like so it's not cheating, you know what I mean, Like, it's just like it's just like not like I don't know, I just I played the game on hard mode, and I should I should have been a little bit more like realistic about like what.
Speaker 3: My state level was.
Speaker 1: Those people should just say, uh, actually I'm not playing anymore and go back to having ever williams of dollars. Yeah I actually wasn't playing, but yeah yeah, and that was actually this was my point the whole time, was to show that it's impossible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like the stress got to me man of not having money, Oh did it?
Speaker 1: Buddy? Anyways, those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday, April twenty third. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show Chris Crofton until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: Bite