Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Faw it ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Terry's gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the back.
Speaker 2: Deal the Rage.
Speaker 5: It's brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Right on the Price, right on the corner of the sand Tan two oh two Freeway.
Speaker 6: In Valves Water Crab by Trey McBride.
Speaker 3: That was spectacular and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast.
Speaker 5: Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, Sea is rising up? Do you rising vision?
Speaker 6: Flurry Rage?
Speaker 1: Take it Ober.
Speaker 5: Here's Paul Calbci.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 7: I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 5: And Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 7: The field, the focus is always on football, even into the bye week, even though before the last game the buzz was all about Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani. At least that's all wolf was talking about for the last game against the Jets. After the game, speaking of buzz or the buzz, now was all about the first place Cardinals. Is it not? A four game winning streak, a first place standing NFC Offensive Player of the week. All of a sudden, the buzz is building nationally, is it not? While we at the same time pity the poor Jets. Did you guys hear what Jeff Olbrich, the interim head coach, did after the after the Cardinals broke twenty tackles According to next Gen Stats, he ordered full pads on Wednesday and Thursday for Jets practice.
Speaker 1: They're gonna They're gonna.
Speaker 7: Practice tackling in week eleven while the Cardinals enjoy the bye weekend. Welcome into the Big Red Rage, presented by sand tan Ford and Gilbert Paul Calvicre, Ron Wolfey there and the one and only Marcus Golden in studio, the former Cardinals Great Royalty.
Speaker 2: Thanks fellas.
Speaker 8: You know, it's always good to be in here with y'ab man and I'm happy to be here today.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, johnk. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: What you look forward to the most, and you're playing days. You just wrapped up a decade in the NFL. You have three double digit SAX seasons. But when it came to buy weekend, what did you look forward to the most.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, that's a great question, man, because especially when you get a we got a late by week. This week, it seemed like a super late by week. So when you play all these weeks and you grind it out each week, you just want to relax. Me that's one thing I wanted to do. I wanted to relax, just sit back. Probably still of course, you got to still do your job of study football. But at the end of the day, I just wanted to make sure I get to Friday or whatever day we was gonna get a break and just relax.
Speaker 1: So Junk, you work big on that, Hey let's go to Cabo that you weren't big on that, or.
Speaker 2: You know how it is when you're young.
Speaker 8: When you're young, you get it to the NFL, you get a break, you want to go to Cabown, I have a little fun. But as I got older, I was more of like a let me chill out, hang right with the family. I have my days back in my younger days where I would have went to Cawbo.
Speaker 7: Well, true or false, the bye week came at a good time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think true, Paul I really do. I know there's a lot of people out there that we'll talk about, Hey, they won four games in a row right now. Listen, when you're two and four and then you you win four games in a row and you get to six and four right now? I think at some point in time, especially when you might be a surprise in the National Football League, I think you need to let the dust settle a little bit and really understand, Hey, why were we two and four? What was the situation that allowed us to be two and four on the season, and then all of a sudden we started winning games and now we're six and four. How did we get to six and four? I think as long as you keep yourself in check, Pauly, I think it's a good thing to allow the dust to settle on ten games that you've played and the fact that you're in first place in the NFC West, and then you can also look and say, hey, listen, we got seven games left. What is it going to take from me for me to do my job and to help us win games?
Speaker 7: Four straight wins, five out of six. Here's the head coach, Jonathan Gannon. Do you think he's pleased with how the Cardinals are playing, you bet you.
Speaker 9: I think the thing that's consistent with our team is how we play. I think you got to control yourself first, and I'm pleased with how we're playing right now. I talk about that being our motive play. But the effort, the motor, the finish, the violence, the hitting. I think there's a way to play this game, and that can give you a chance to win a bunch of games if that part is right and everybody's doing it in all three phases, are doing.
Speaker 7: It, Marcus Golden. When you watch the Cardinals and the brand of ball they're putting out there in year two under Jonathan Gannon, what jumps out to you the most.
Speaker 8: Yes, really exactly what coach was saying, man, just that hard nose football, playing together, everybody working hard together and getting it done, doing whatever we got to do to get a win. And that's what exactly jumps out on me on jumps out for me on tape when I watched the Cardinals this season, is that they're playing hard and they're going to do whatever they got to do to get out there and try to get the win.
Speaker 7: How far does physicality go if you're winning the battle of physicality. How often does that mean you're winning a game in the NFL?
Speaker 8: Hey, that's big time, especially when you and I always got to go to James when we talk about physicality or the Cardinals. The way he running the ball, the way he's even catching the ball out the backfield and running through guys, I feel like that sets a tone. So when you got that type of momentum and plus you're winning and making place, that's big time.
Speaker 2: And I feel like they got a lot to do with the team.
Speaker 1: You know, one of those Just listening to you talk about that, it reminds me of how well they airs are. The Cardinals ran the ball, And I'm not talking about Trey McBride running the ball, even though that's awesome to see him doing that. I'm not talking about Kyler Murray pulling it down poly and running the ball. I'm talking about a football team that snaps the ball to the quarterback and the quarterback hands the ball off to a running back. What happens more times than not when you hand the ball off to a running back. How are you guys doing well? You think of the Arizona Cardinals. You had James Connor, you had Trey Benson, You had Amari de Mercado, and you had DJ Dallas. You had those four guys carry the ball twenty eight times in this game for one hundred and twenty seven yards, and it wasn't like they were ripping off fifty yard runs. They were brutal runs. It's an average of four and a half yards per carry. That to me tells me that the offensive learning and the Arizona Cardinals consistently were able to move the ball and run the ball every time they handed it off to a running back, and that to me matters. The how you win matters.
Speaker 7: You can sense it, you can feel in the locker room, you can hear it in what guys say. Kyler Murray had a comment after the game that they didn't feel like there was anything the Jets could throw at them that they couldn't navigate and they couldn't still advance the ball down the field. It's that team confidence. It's just that sense. And Trey McBride talked about that and where they are right now at six and four.
Speaker 10: I feel like we're one play away from beating the Bills. You know, week one, we had a couple really close games early on, and you know, we had a couple of mishaps as well, So I feel like we're really close early on and we were just missing it by a little bit. And then now, you know, we kind of get rolling a little bit. You know, now we're winning three four in a row, and just continue and expect that to happen and continue to happen because the work we put in and the process that we have has been very effective.
Speaker 7: You know, we talked in the month August about separation season. That's when it comes to the roster and players, guys separating themselves getting a row to me in an NFL season. Right now, between Halloween and Thanksgiving is separation season. You see teams ascend or you see teams just discombobulate. The Cardinals are lamenting too incompletions, trying to figure out what happened on the one miscommunication the very first incompletion of the game. Well, the Chicago Bears, for example, the Cardinals opponent two weeks ago, hasn't scored a touchdown in its last twenty three possessions. Okay, there's the haves and have nots. Yeah, and just where the Cardinals are right now, just fine tuning Marcus right I mean, there's nothing glaring knock on wood that's wrong. You're just trying to fine tune your game, right now, are you not?
Speaker 8: Yes, like exactly what you're saying. It's like you fine tune in your game. But you got the guys. You got the guys and not Trey McBride. He got talking and everything he say. I can feel because he going out there and showing it by the way you play, and I think about it, like, I gotta bring that up, that big time play he had he broke the tackle, jumps over a guy insteady going like, that's like you plan, like you know that your team can win. And he brought that up and they got to keep doing that. And they going out there each week and they're actually plan and believe and you can see from watching that they believe that they can win each game. Did they step on the field.
Speaker 7: You know, we were talking after the game about how it looks like the first and second year players have elevated their game. Oh yeah, look, you know, you know, Trey McBride's gonna bring it, James Connor, Kaiser, White, Buddha Baker, Kyler Murray. But it looks like a lot of the younger guys have elevated their game, and that to me is the rising tide that's lifting this entire team.
Speaker 1: You're exactly right, paulyy right there. That's the most encouraging thing about the Arizona Cardinals at the by right now, six and four and on top of the NFC West. It is the young guys on this team, the first year players, the rookies, and the second year guys, and how much better they've gotten the second year guys and they're developing and Paul, because they're in the process of developing and getting better. That's why I think the Arizona Cardinals got off to a two and four start. That in the fact, of course that they were playing a very tough schedule early on in the but that in the fact that these guys are growing and developing. That's the reason why they've turned this around, because those guys are at the heart of them winning games. Guys like Garrett Williams, yep, Guys like Paris Johnson Junior. You're number two right now, settling down that left tackle. How important was that? That was a big question mark coming into the season. We're all wondering, how is Paris Johnson Junior gonna hold up as a left tackle. He was a right tackle, played every snap the year before that. How's he gonna hold up at left tackle?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Paris Johnson Junior, he's looking like he's gonna be your franchise tackle for over a decade.
Speaker 7: You mentioned Garrett Williams. Look at the other two young corners, Starling Thomas. Oh yeah, Max Melton, I mean, look, Marcus, you rushed the passer for a living. Okay, So let me ask you after the game. We asked how many different looks did they throw at Aaron Rodgers? And Jonathan Gannon said, we threw the bucket at him.
Speaker 2: That was his quote.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well you can't do that unless your quote you can trust your corner.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yes.
Speaker 8: And then, like you said, those young guys are standing out a lot, because I did see they was throwing a lot at throwing a lot that the Jets this week, and those corners they stood up stood being back there you got and then you got guys like Booda Baker JT back there you know, the young guys listening to them. So and it goes back to what you're saying, the stars are stand are doing with a great job and stepping it up.
Speaker 2: But these other players.
Speaker 8: To have a great team, you need the other players that's not Starts to really step it up and carry the team.
Speaker 2: And that's what I've been seeing the last few weeks.
Speaker 7: I mean, think about it, twelve different guys got a pressure last week in the Carlos defense, the week before, sixteen different players. They just keep dialing it up and the team just keeps fine tuning and improving, and all of a sudden the winning games and it's not close. So now you have to deal with a buy And the question of Paris Johnson Junior, all right, is the bye week? Is it coming at a good time or a bad time?
Speaker 11: Kind of wish we kind of keep going, you know what I mean, because you're already in a rhythm. You're you're in a rhythm, You're in your routine. But you know, I know we'll be able to come back together and be able to get back into our process and we'll be able to pick up where they left off. And when I starts to how we come back to practice, when we all come back together.
Speaker 1: See can I just jump in here, Polly and say this right now? Just listening to Paris Johnson Junior. And that cuts the thing I love about this football team. They got dogs, Paul. They got a lot of dogs inside that locker room, Marcus, and you know that how important that is. I think it's coming at a great time. And the reason why I say the Buys coming at a great time is because they got dogs inside the locker room who are gonna come back and be dogs. Yes, they're not gonna suddenly turn into cats. They're gonna be dogs. And because of that, guys like Paris Johnson Junior, I don't think he's gonna get complacent. I don't think I don't think anybody inside that locker room is gonna get complacent because they're not gonna let them. The dogs inside that locker room aren't gonna let anybody get complacent.
Speaker 7: I mean, think about your head coach. They just did an offseason study on momentum.
Speaker 2: This just in.
Speaker 7: He doesn't really believe in momentum. So I don't think he really fears the bye week, not when he sets the standard, not when he applies the accountability. Wolf we do his TV show. They have a four game winning streak, Marcas, and he shares with us on the TV show that every Monday meeting he holds guys accountable, maybe even more so in a win. And you're gonna hear your name called in front of the entire team if he notices you're up there on film with a loaf or a mental error. And I just think that's the sort of thing combined with players like James Connor and Buddha Baker and kay Zier White, the team captain's holding guys accountable. That's why you're seeing this consistency. And then you have the quarterback who might have been the toughest player on the field based on the hit he took. We'll talk about him next on the Big Red Range presented by Santan Ford.
Speaker 12: In Gilbert Murray under center, takes his play action of foot to the lapt and Murray gonna keep it.
Speaker 6: He walks into the end zone for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Kyler Murray with.
Speaker 4: Maybe the easiest touchdown run of his career. Snap to Murray, drop straight back a fad right corner of the end zone.
Speaker 6: Harrison Paul want a cat for a touchdown. Marvin Harrison Junior holds it in just a cord, just dropping the bucket by Murray.
Speaker 3: Spin the pig, Kyler, what dime being dropped into the buckets right over the shoulder of Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 4: Snap to Murray and he's gonna keep it running right to the outside ten, stays in bounds of the five and into the end zone for his second touchdown.
Speaker 6: Then he takes the football and hoists it into the casino.
Speaker 4: Kyler Murray a dominant performance here today and it's thirty to six Arizona.
Speaker 7: So he had as many touchdown runs as he had incompletions.
Speaker 2: Is that good?
Speaker 1: That's good, Paul, good enough.
Speaker 7: To be named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. That was the honor that came his way. Uh and you know what I mean. It doesn't just stop there with the two touchdown runs twenty two to twenty four, two sixty six through the air, touchdown through the air. You heard that, No picks. The ball security has been phenomenal. We'll get into that one. Twenty six point seven the passer rating and oh, by the way, seventeen straight completions is how he ended the game. A new team record better in Kurt Warner the Hall of Famer. It is the Big Red Race presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert, Paul Calvic, Ron Wolfley, and Marcus Golden. Before we get into the hitty absorbed, let's just talk about what he put in the box score and what you saw is the guy who studied quarterbacks for a living. What stood out to you now, maybe this game, maybe this month about Kyler Murray.
Speaker 8: Yes, like you said, anytime you able to mention Kurt Warner and saying you broke somebody record like that, and you know what type of how you've been playing this season, He's been playing unbelievable. Really, I said, he's been showing why he's been drafted number one overall. When you get drafted that high, you expect to come make a franchise better.
Speaker 2: And he's showing that this year.
Speaker 8: And it's exciting to see fest for me as a former player, but also just as a fan, and it's excited to see him doing that.
Speaker 2: And he out there balling.
Speaker 8: He went twenty two for twenty four out of twenty four, like you said, touchdown too, rushing touchdowns and got Play of the Week. So he out there putting the work in and it feels good to see it because he taught there making the whole team better.
Speaker 2: That's what you can tell.
Speaker 7: And by the way, he did it against the number two passing defense in the league once again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like once again Miami had the Miami was number one in terms of yards per game allowed, passing yards per game allowed, number one. It's just like the Chargers. Think how tough the Chargers number one scoring, number one scoring defense in the league. And then it was the Dolphin. I mean, it's just amazing to see this. Four games in a row against really good defenses, the Chicago Bears, the number two defensive quarterback rated team in the league. Very very difficult to actually throw the ball against the Bears. Look, the Arizona Cardinals right now have gone through a bit of a gauntlet, four games against really good defenses the last four games, and now they're sitting here six and four. Something is happening, Paul. Something is happening to this team offensively, defensively, and in transition with special teams as well. But Kyler Murray is right at the center of that something.
Speaker 7: Yes, right after the thirty one to six win, here's Kyler Murray at the podium with the media on this success of the passing game in particular.
Speaker 13: Guys, did hell of the job, the front.
Speaker 2: My job.
Speaker 13: Just put the ball in their hands and let them do what they do, you know, and try to get completions. You know, that's what I did today. I try to just keep it as simple as possible. And the guys, you know, they made plays that made plays for me all day and it's great to go out there and feel the way we felt today, you know, to be able to execute.
Speaker 7: The fact that he was at the podium and not in the hospital is remarkable considering the hit he took. That blind side sack. I mean from the sideline, it looked like a pedestrian who got hit in the crosswalk by a pickup truck. I mean, that's how hard he got hit. What's the hardest you ever hit a quarterback? Marcus School? Is there an answer to that question?
Speaker 8: That's a good question, man. A few come to mind when I think about it, man cut, but one particularly.
Speaker 2: I actually came off the edge free and.
Speaker 8: A uh Baker Mayfield was right there standing there looking for me.
Speaker 2: I crushed him. I wanted to get the ball.
Speaker 8: I thought I hit him helping the hell, but I was looking up like man, if they finish, throw a flag. Thankfully, I ain't get a flag, but that was a pretty good hield.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you backshot?
Speaker 2: Did I whacked him out?
Speaker 8: It was he was like this, and if I should have just scripped the ball man, I was trying to get a good hit on him. But but uh, I was glad I ain't get that flag.
Speaker 7: Can you hear the air come out of a quarterback when you hit him that hard?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes, especially man, when you catch them blind side and you come in free. You can feel it, man, and you pray for those type of shots when on any quarterback. So Kyler Man, but he got back up, He got right back up, picked his hilim and up, had his matt on his face and was ready to go man and finished the game scrown.
Speaker 7: Well, here's what the head coach had to say. We asked him to assess Kyler Murray, especially the game he put out there and the hit he took.
Speaker 9: I haven't seen all the other games, but if there is a better player on the planet, you better show me, because I thought he was the best player on the planet today.
Speaker 7: Jonathan Gannon let that hang in the air for a moment, and Wolf, I mean, you know this probably better than either one of us combined because you got your finger on the pulse. So what's being said nationally this week? Isn't Kyler Murray getting a lot of discussion for being right there in the MVP race?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there is a lot of people that are talking about Kyler Murray as an MVP right now. Once again, when you look at the power poles, the Arizona Cardinals, and I'm not big on a power pole, I'm not, but you know what, there are analysts and pundits that are out there and most entities have the Arizona Cardinals in the top ten and in their power poles. I'm talking about, Yeah, the Arizona Cardinals at six and four. You know why that is? It's because of Kyler Murray. Right now, and let me just go back to the hit. I think it's a still point moment at Kyler Murray's career. I'm talking about this one of the reasons why for Kyler. You can't get hit any harder than he got hit. You can't your helmet rolled ten yards, you got landed on as well, blindsided, just got the back waxed. And yet you know what, your teammates saw that as well, and then they saw you get up with a wry smile on your face, and I think I know why he was smiling, but I'll get to that momentarily. They saw you get up with a smile on your face and throw a touchdown pass to Marvin Harrison Junior just a couple of plays after that. That to me is saying, I'm here, I'm gonna take the most vicious hit I've ever taken in my life, and I don't care. I'm gonna get up and I'm gonna go ahead and throw a touchdown pass that was dropping a dime. And his teammates saw that as well, and that is really really important, the resiliency and the toughness to take that hit and then get up and finish the game the way that he did. Oh man, that's gonna pay off big.
Speaker 7: We're gonna hear from Trey McBride. Then, I want to hear why you think he was smiling. Here's Trey McBride and Kyler Murrain his play this season.
Speaker 2: Elite Man.
Speaker 10: The guy is zoned in. He's locked in. You know, you can just kind of tell he's got that look in his eye and when he's in that mode, he's unstoppable. You know, I'm kind of irritated I dropped that ball in the end zone. He could have had a you know, almost a dang perfect game besides that first play. So that makes me sick that I dropped that ball for him. But he's playing at a really high level right now. I'm excited for him, and I'm excited to continue to grow with him.
Speaker 7: And again after he took that, By the way, that was the second fastest sack this year two point two four seconds Quinn Williams, according to an exten satz. So that was instantaneous. Well why do you think he was smiling.
Speaker 1: For me, PAULI. I think it's a situation where, you know, that had to be a nightmare for him all of the you know, he's never been hit like that. Have you ever seen him hit like that any or even close? Write nothing. Nobody can get a clean shot on him. Most of it exactly right. And I think it happened. It finally happened, his worst nightmare maybe of how he might be hit, and it happened in his helmet rolled once again ten yards and he got up and said, you know what, I can't face anything worse than that. And he was smiling, and that to me means he accepts it and moves on with his career. You know me, Paul, I might read into this stuff a little bit too much. I might do that, and I freely admit it. As a former wedgebuster, the physicality of it and actually going through all of that, I remember what it was like to bust a wedge for the first time, and the fear that I had going into this thing. It was incredible. You're hitting a man who's three hundred and forty pounds in the wedge and you're hitting him right in the face on a dead sprint. That's gotta hurt. Guess what it didn't. And it made me smile once I put that quote unquote demon to rest, and I'm wondering if he did the exact same thing.
Speaker 7: Yes, you guys played two decades.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 7: Okay, I might not know much, but I'm pretty sure I know this much. If you have that guy at that position, you don't have to have the NFL's best roster to advance deep into the postseason. Joe Burrow did it a couple of years ago. Heck Patrick Mahomes last year, did he have the best set of weapons and receivers last year. Absolutely not twenty fifteen was your rookie year. Carson Palmer had had a Pro Bowl season, did he not?
Speaker 2: He did? How big? Was that?
Speaker 7: Just elevating when you have that guy? And then what's the belief in the locker room Marcus, when you know you have that guy?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, like you said, I started with twenty and fifteen. I hate you had to bring that whatever. That's the closest I got to wait to the super Bowl. But man, that was some good times when you got a quarterback though, like Carson, Like Carson back then, that was the best quarterback I had for a long time until I probably got to play back with Kyler Marray. But Carson, man, he was a be He's a leader. You knew when you stepped on that field, Hey, my quarterback is going to go out there and give me a chance to win. So if you got a bunch of guys in the locker room who know the quarterback is going to go out there and push the ball down the field and put points on the board, they give you no choice but to be happy and go out there and know you can hunt. Because we got a chance to go out there and win the game.
Speaker 7: And what's different for me with Kyler this year is the ability the different ways he's able to win some of these games. Yes, their games are he's had two carries for six yards. There's games are is a fifty yard touchdown or run forty four yard touchdown run. Then there's games where he sits in the pocket. And when he does sit in the pocket, doesn't he look a little more comfortable this year than years past?
Speaker 2: Would you guys agree with that? Yes? I do.
Speaker 8: It looked like and I've been watching just from watching the last few games to see just look like he can't control. He looked like he ain't control. And it goes back to knowing what your quarterback can do. Watching them. Every time we get on the field on offense, it looks like, hey, we got a chance to score. And when you a quarterback like that, that you know, man, we got a chance to score. Every time he get on the field, man, that's gonna bring the whole team together and get everybody going.
Speaker 1: And it's also part of the process right now with him going under center and using play action a lot of times, you got to hook up in that pocket and you've got to be able to throw the ball over the middle of the field, and that's what he's been doing as well. So to me, it's all part of the process, and he's getting reps and I think he's getting more comfortable because of that.
Speaker 7: I think we all saw him throw the ball into the casitas. That was great stuff. Guess what you can learn more about Cardinals single game tickets, premium seating, the group tickets, the all new luxury field seating experiences today Just go to Azycardinals dot com slash tickets. All right, Defense that has been balling, we'll talk about them next. And the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Rogers backpedaling from the pocket and Rogers is sacked. The bull came out Rogers and an't got it back. Luketta with the sack and that bors is a fun What about that surprise, Jesse Luketta.
Speaker 6: Rogers drops back in trouble, moving left, gets.
Speaker 4: Hit from behind, bull flutters it's loose and recovered by the Cardinals.
Speaker 6: At the ten, savior Thomas.
Speaker 4: Hacking it out, recovered by Heisier White.
Speaker 2: The rookie made a play.
Speaker 4: Savior Thomas Rodgers takes the snap blitz coming, Rodgers has no chance, sacked by Fooda Baker for a loss of eight at the forty yard.
Speaker 1: Live Buda Baker came off the edge clean and Aaron Rodgers got his backwaxed.
Speaker 7: Buddha with his first Secons twenty twenty one about the last two weeks. Nine sacks the last two weeks for a Cardinals defense. That is absolutely bawling, especially at home. That is four straight games right where the Cardinals defense in the second half. Think of this a second half shutout four times now, it should say in twenty twenty four. So Jonathan again and we asked them about halftime adjustment. He said, no, there's just always adjustments throughout the entirety of the game.
Speaker 2: We get it.
Speaker 7: Here's what else we get that the Giant the Jets and their six possessions went fueld goal, fueld goal, punt, they lost to fumble, they went punt turnover on downs, so they got absolutely stymied, held out of the end zone. Thirty one to six is your final Paul Kelvy c Ron Wolfey here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert are special guest tonight former Cardinals defender a decade in the league, Marcus Golden. And so Marcus, here we go in your wheelhouse, the pass rush, the defense. You tell us you've been watching Cardinals football lately. What are you impressed by the most recently?
Speaker 8: And I'm really impressed a lot just be off tops. Just the coaches is putting the guys in a great position on defense to be able to go out there and make a lot of plays. And those guys are going out there and stepping it up and all together. When I watch the defense, I always try to watch like how they playing together?
Speaker 2: How do they look?
Speaker 8: It's some dogs on the fields, everybody getting to the ball trying to make plays.
Speaker 2: And that's what I see.
Speaker 8: It's like each week it's a big play that they make to get the offense to ball and the offense go score, or just some big play. You can always point out a moment in every game where the defense stepping it up and making big plays, and it's just it's so many guys. It's so many guys. Of course you got the start boota Baker flying all over the field, but you got all the other guys, Like you said, Kaizer steals it's just a lot of guys out there. They're stepping it up and making big plays.
Speaker 1: You know. For me, Paul, right now, I see an identity that is starting to form with this defense, and I think that's really really important. It's not the end all be all, but I think it's important that they have an identity, and the identity is we're not going to give up explosives. That's not what we're going to do. We're not going to give up explosive plays. As a matter of fact, the New York Jets did not have a play that was over twenty yards. Twenty yards is a big play. Twenty yards or more is considered a big play in the National Football League. The longest play was a fifteen yard screen pass to Brace Hall. That was it. They didn't give up any explosives. This is what they've been doing over the last four weeks. In particular, they are allowing a team to matriculate the ball down the field. If you look at their metrics, they're giving up a lot of yards, whether it's running yards or passing yards. They're not great on third down still, they're not getting off the field. But where they are great is in the red zone. They are jumping teams in the red zone and keeping them out. By way of example, the New York Jets zero for three in the red zone once again. The Arizona Cardinals right now. Would it blow your mind to know they are a top ten red zone defense right now? Top ten red zone. Hey, and by the way, we're not talking about week two top ten defense in the red zone. We're talking about week ten. Yes, ten games they've played in Paul, They've really done a great job of trapping teams in the red zone.
Speaker 7: Well, think about the Jets had a season low two hundred and seven total yards. They had a season low one hundred and fifty one yards passing. That's with Aaron Rodgers and supposedly one of the best receiver rooms in the league. Here's what Jonathan Gannon had to say about that defensive performance against New York.
Speaker 9: When you come into a game like this and you prepare for a quarterback of that caliber, with the weapons that they have, you never know how it's kind of gonna go. I thought they really stepped up. I like to plan a lot, and it was well executed and a bunch of guys are making plays, And I thought our motive play was on display. Man, Like, we'll grade the tape hard, but there's not gonna be a lot of loafs our. Guys are humming, they're hitting. The hitting is on display. When you do that, you'll give yourself a chance.
Speaker 7: You don't have to have the most talented roster in the league to have a sound defense, to have a hard hitting defense, to have a defense that is always playing at volume ten, right, I mean on the sideline, they see guys because they use the rotation you tell me, Marcus, I mean there are guys are I want it, And then when they get the rep, it's a full blown hundred percent effort rep because they don't know how many they're getting per game. And I just to me, that's what I see out there, that effort level.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I see a lot of it.
Speaker 8: And then it goes back to what Wolf always saying, they got a bunch of dogs out there, and they got some dogs out there. And when you just said that, guys are standing on the sideline ready to get in. Jesse he's been called up to step up and make some plays.
Speaker 2: And it seems.
Speaker 8: Like what back to back these last two weeks, he had a sack each week. He's out there really stepping it up man and rushing the pass, and they say it's a lot no bat no matter who's on their field, the defense is out there flying around and the guy on the field believes he can make the play. And then I see that a lot from the whole defense.
Speaker 1: And you know what, let me just jump in here on top of that and just say, Buddha Baker is an awesome model to have for every guy that is on the field. Yes, the fact that Buddha Baker is out there flying around. He's the smallest guy on the field week after week after week, and all he does is blow your face off. That's what he does. And you know what, at some point in time, you've got guys that are watching him, guys that are on the sideline, and guys that are actually on the field. His teammate watching him as well, especially when they go into the film room and they watch that tape and they watch this guy flying around. At some point in time, it challenges every dude who puts a mouthguard in and walks out there on the field with Buddha Baker. If he's playing like that, why aren't you.
Speaker 7: Nine more tackles. He has one hundred tackles in ten games. He's tracking for a career year. He's the best open field tackler in the NFL. I'll say it. You can at me if you want, but here's Boodh himself on just how the defense has been playing recently and the way they're making it difficult for every opponent.
Speaker 14: We just control we can control. We live through the process, you know, I tell him, you know, separations in the preparation, how we prepare throughout the week, so and that's when we know know what to do on Sunday. We have fun and we control what we can control. Take one play at a time, alignment as Simon key technique, and that's what we do. We're tight, knick group. We all love each other and it's definitely special to come out on the field and play with these guys here.
Speaker 7: I want your analysis here, Marcus and what the Cardinals are doing to neutralize the opposing receiver rooms because the last three games are remarkable to me. Miami came in with Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddell. They got some catches, they got some yards, didn't wreck the game, didn't get into the end zone. Then you go against the Bears Keenan Allen, DJ Moore, Roma Dunza. Hello, they didn't wreck the game. And then DeVante Adams and Garrett Williams, two really talented Pro Bowl receivers and they didn't knew much of anything to impact the game. So how are the Cardinals neutralizing because they're going to go to Seattle next and we know Seattle's the best part about their team are the three receivers? Yes, So what's working for the Cardinals in that regard?
Speaker 8: I think, like you said, like I said before we go, it gotta work with the coaches. Start with the coach. What are we gonna do to neutralize these guys. You got some of the best players in the world coming in here and most athletic athletic guys in the world that ride receiver, and we gotta put a plan to be able to shut these guys out. After that, it's a players. We gotta come together and believe it in this play and go out here and play hard and take these guys away from the game. And then you gotta ask, and well know, we keep coming back to Buddha. But then you got JT. You got two great safeties back there. So even as the receivers and running and trying to get open, you know, hey, man, I might take a hit from one of them safeties back there. So I think it's just overall playing together, of course, but guys are stepping it up at the right time and making the players they supposed to make. The counsel of those receivers out.
Speaker 1: Can you say cover three? Yeah, say cover three right now? Three deep? They are three D pauly four underneath. Of course, they're playing really, really well in terms of their zone discipline.
Speaker 2: Yes they are.
Speaker 1: And it's not just cover three that they're playing, of course, but they're coverage. They're buttoned up on the back end, and you know, everybody seems to be playing the right defense. Now, you know, there's a lot of times out there where you might have miscommunication and that's gonna shoot you in the foot at some point in time. That is a defensive coordinator's worst nightmare, that you're gonna have miscommunication and there's gonna be a mental error. There's not a lot of mental airrors. You don't see a lot of wide receivers running open. Okay, Now, we have seen it from time to time, You're always going to see that in a season, but man, not on a regular basis. There haven't been a lot of busted coverages in the secondary.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I look at this Cardinals defense. I look at this Cardinals team. They're not beating themselves. Yes, too often, especially the first month of the season. And I think a lot of it, to your point, Wolf had to do with a lot of first and second year players. But you know, different guys taking their one turn to make their one mistake of the game and it's enough to get you beat. Yeah, that's what I saw in the Jets. I saw different guys taking their one turn to make there you know. And at the very end of the game, on that final failed fourth down, there's Aaron Rodgers with his palms up like what are you doing? And he's yelling at Garrett Wilson even And you know, that's how to me how the Cardinals are getting a competitive advantage. And you can't tell me the coaching you mentioned the coaching and taking away these receivers. Marcus, to me again, you don't have to have the most talented roster in the league to just be a sound football team. And when one, two or three plays decide the game and you're not beating yourself. To me, that can be the difference in the game. Well, Paulie, you gotta find dudes who think that way. Yes, and that's where many ausen Ford and JG. They're on the same page as to what kind of human being they're going to.
Speaker 1: Bring in this.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you.
Speaker 7: Is Jonah Williams tracking to return? We don't know, but we know he's been practicing. What about Darius Robinson.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, the king.
Speaker 7: What if you added a game wrecker at least based on training camp. We'll talk about that next. The Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Zuri, brings pressure and they throw Leary down, Larry Darius Robinson.
Speaker 6: Here's Brown pan Brown is sacked.
Speaker 12: He is taken down by Darius Robinson.
Speaker 5: They gonna six Yearry taking down.
Speaker 4: He couldn't call the trigger and Darius Robinson comes up with a sack.
Speaker 1: Keep your eye on Darius Robinson just simply beats his man.
Speaker 4: One on one, Bresler on third and six pockets collapsing.
Speaker 5: So as hey, it's Darius Robinson that gets home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can feel this presence.
Speaker 15: I will say that He's one of those guys that's like, yeah, you are a first try to do it for a reason. So it's nice to play behind him. Get off as crazy. His strength is crazy. I think there's more. He fine tunes his game within the scheme of learning to playbook, which is I thought he's picking up very well.
Speaker 2: He's going to be a monster for us.
Speaker 7: Let that hang in the air. That's joint practice at Indianapolis in August. That's Chris Barnes better an inside linebacker. Players no players, And I can tell you right now that was the consensus in the locker room. Darius Robinson before he got hurt, what he put out there on the field, what he put out there on the practice film, what he put out there against the Colts, and oh, I don't know all pro guard Quentin Nelson when he jacked him up one on one. 'tis the holiday season?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: The gift that would keep on giving for the Arizona Cardinals, the return of Darius Robinson, the first rounder out of Missouri, Paul calv c Ron Wolfley, and Marcus Golden Marks here did I hear the missoo fight song? In that montage by Jim momunter, I think I did in there.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, in my z z o U elion Zoo. Shout out to my Missou brothers. Man, we got to represent for Maszoo.
Speaker 15: Man.
Speaker 7: So tell us about your connection with Darius Robinson. It goes back a few years, doesn't it. Yes, yes, it goes back a few years. I remember I was visiting Miszoo. I think it was. Was it a spring practice? I can't remember. I think it was the spring practice. And I've seen a young guy, the big guy. I'm like, I asked one of the coaches, who is that kid man? And you was like, oh, that's Darius Robert. He gonna be real good, man, he gonna be real good. And I'm like yeah, man.
Speaker 8: So I start watching him, checking him out, and eventually we was able to connect and then talk to each other, talk about past rush moves he can do when he was at Massou and man, he's a beast man. And for to see where he at and going first round, I wasn't surprised because when I first saw him, like yeah, he looked like he can do something, and he proved it that he can get out there and do it, man, And I'm glad to see him here proud of Now.
Speaker 7: Look, admittedly I need to go, Pauli, pump my brakes a little bit. Okay, I get it. So Wolf, what's realistic?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 7: If he's healthy in the next two or three weeks.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 7: We honestly don't know. Oh we know is that Jonathan Ganner, at the end of his postgame press conference, was asked if he's confident Darius Robinson will return to play this season. Quote, I'm very confident. So that was bullish. But what's realistic you think in terms of the impact he can make and how soon?
Speaker 1: Oh, Pauli, you're asking the wrong guy, because I think if I had to pick one position this team needs, it's Darius Robinson.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: Just the injuries alones. Oh, just the injuries alone, Paully. But it's not only that. This is a guy that is gonna impact and opponent's ability to run the ball. He's gonna be good in the running game, and he's gonna be really good in the passing game as well. And I'm not saying he's gonna go out there and suddenly turn into a three technique that's gonna get ten sacks. The rest of the season. I'm just talking about a guy that can generate pressure, interior pressure, or you can go ahead and stick him out on the edge as well. He can line up in any gap, tackle the tackle, and when you don't know where he might line up, that becomes a problem for an offense, especially if he shows the kind of talent, the kind of bursts that we all expect him to right now. He's going to impact the other team's ability to run the ball, and he's going to impact the other team's ability to throw the ball. And that's exactly what this defense needs the most, in my opinion. Right now, somebody's gonna stick his hand in the dirt and get dirty.
Speaker 7: I was talking to running backs recently. I said, refresh my memory and Darius Robinson, what do you remember from camp? They said, you know what? I remember getting the handoff and eleven on eleven and he's right in my lap that he's busting through the interior of the old line. Marcus, you tell us if you can get that guy who's that sort of nuisance and penetrating the interior. The on line offenses hate that, don't.
Speaker 2: They, Yes, they hated it a lot. Man rookie is not that guy. Man.
Speaker 8: Even when I saw him playing in the Miszoo, always like Man, that guy got a motor on him. Just he never stops. Man, And I watch for guys like that. That's some of my favorite players. So when you play like that, then you got the gifts that he got. Man, big old guy, long arms, can can naturally bend the edge or go through him in the Sky's the limit for him, honestly. Man, With the abilities that he got and the way he played a game, that's what I really love about him. So yes, I really do think that he can come in right away. You know, he young, is still this rookie year. You give him some time, but I will honestly say, before the season is over, I feel like this kid gonna dominate. He gonna make some big plays this season. And I say that by the way he played. He played hard. Man, when their snap go, when that ball go. He plays hard all the way to the whistle every play and can do that as a young player. I feel like it makes some big plays in it.
Speaker 1: So wait a minute, Marcus, are you calling him a dog?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, he's a dog, a dog dog man, You know, dog goodness right there?
Speaker 1: That is Somebody go tell Darius Marcus Golden just called him a dog.
Speaker 8: Yes, man, Yes, he got what it takes man. And I'm excited as a fan Frommazoo in now of course for the quarters. I'm excited to see a kid get out there. I can't wait, man, I'm excited.
Speaker 7: Hey, motor knows Motor's that's that's all right. And I also know this Cardinals defense has been ascending, it's been improving, and you hit zoom out. It gives you a lot of belief because you know you have weapons on offense, you know you have the quarterback, especially based on the last few weeks. Here's what Jonathan Gannon had to say recently, just knowing what to do, this team learning to win games.
Speaker 9: We know what we have to do to win and keep those controllables in our favor, and we're handling those right now. But they know that, you know, the last however many weeks we've gotten some wins. They know they got to do it all over again or they will lose and we will lose. And so they know what it takes to put themselves and give themselves a chance to win.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm not worried about this, PAULI, I really am not the bye week happening when it is. I think this is a mature football team because they went out and they found the guys who think the correct way, and they bring them into the locker room dogs. As we continue to talk about it, I don't think they're going to come back here and go, oh, we're six and four and oh my goodness, we're on the top of the NFC. That's not who they're targeting. That's not who they're going out and getting and bringing into the locker room. That's not the guy who thinks that way. And that's the reason why I'm bullish on this. It's coming at a perfect time to buy where they can settle a little bit, get healthy, and then come back with a clear understanding of what it is they need to do and why they're in the position they are. And I love that.
Speaker 7: Regroup, reset, and then put another two hundred yards rushing on the Seattle Seahawks who are bottom five and rush d That's our model around here. When you go to Seattle, still one of the loudest venues in the league.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you say yes, yes, for sure?
Speaker 7: What is that challenge like as a player, when you go into Seattle.
Speaker 2: You know it's gonna be loud. It's a challenge. Man.
Speaker 8: I hate to say that because I hate to get on your they fans that much credit, but it is loud thrown nor if it's because of how the stadium is built. But man, when you but as players, you get excited for that, especially being on the Cardinals and going to pay Seattle. That's like a rival game. That's big time. So the energy gonna be how the guys gonna be ready. So I'm pretty sure that the noise from the fans won't be a big deal at all for the guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, nothing else that guards against any sort of energy letdown because you walk in I mean, yes, it is you against the world when you walk into that venue.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, I remember me and Tanny used to talk about that. We couldn't wait to go there and play Seattle.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 8: So there's some great battles. I know those guys gonna have some fun out there.
Speaker 7: Marcus, we really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the time, Appreciate your brother, Thank you, Hey.
Speaker 7: Special thanks as always, jim On Mahundro, Cody Fincher, Matt Lazarus for Ron Woffley on Paul ca VC once again. Seven games to go, four games in the Division, two of the next three against Seattle and a road game by the way, a marquee matchup at Minnesota that could be big in the NFC All Straight Ahead special. Thanks to everyone. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 2: We are santan Ford.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a little, big red Rage football right here.
Speaker 3: This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.