Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Merrin Drugs Money Market Wrap. What we talk about the biggest moves in the market this week and what is driving them. I'm Merrin sum Zip Web UK Money editor at Large and whilst John is still out of the office on a beach somewhere, I am joined by Sam and Stead. Sam is editor of Bloomberg's Markets Today blog. I'm worried about UK stocks, economics, central banks and global markets. Busy time. Sam, thanks for joining me, Thanks for having me. If you ordered the things to talk about them.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, yes, yeah, I mean you take your pick.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. Why don't we start with UK gilts? Why don't we start with what's going on there? There's a lot of political change. We are in chaos again. We talked about this some link in our podcast earlier in the week, but it is still ongoing. It's going to be ongoing for weeks and weeks and weeks. I'm going to say we have no idea what's going to happen. We have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen, and suddenly, from an investors point of view, you might say well, nothing good.
Speaker 2: That's exactly how I would frame it, that we are in yet another period of political chaos, turmoil, pick whatever word you like for it in the UK. But guilts are actually having a pretty good week. Ten year yields down when I got up from my desk about sixteen seventeen basis points over the course of the week. That is almost entirely driven by oil, you know, Oild prices have been coming down very significantly. Takes away some of the inflationary risk. Bets on what the Bank of England are going to do and how much they're going to hike over the year have been pulled back as well. But I find it a little bit curious because so if we go back a couple of months so to around the local elections and when they were these first kind of really substantial speculation about kit Starmer's position. We had a lot of strategists then come out and say very clearly the most negative outcome for gilt markets would be Andy Burnham becoming the prime minister. Right, so that was very much baked into what to everyone's thinking. Now we've reached that reality. So Kis Starmer has resigned on Monday, We've effectively, as you kind of alluded to, moved on to the idea that Andy Burnham will be the next premise. That's what a lot of MPs keep coming out and saying, there is a chance somebody challenges him. I think it's will be so much fun fun, Isn't it a good way to put it? Yeah, but it would be that could well happen, but I think it looks increasingly unlikely, disappointing. So you would expect, oh, I would expect, as someone who's covered the Gill market for a while, that there would be a bit more risk stign to come in, at least a bit of uncertainty because at the moment you really don't have any great idea at all about what he would do, and because we have actually got a pretty clear idea of who's going to be in charge next, that question should be at the front of minds and it is. People are asking that question, but they're not asking you very forcefully. It's kind of just they're just kind of waiting now to just see what happens, which is not how the gil market has acted for the last kind of two years or so.
Speaker 1: Interesting, wasn't it, Where it is something of a holding pattern. I mean, there has been backtracking on the whole we shouldn't be inho to the bond's market nonsense. He has someone's explained how the bond market works to him, which is great because it means we'll have a prime minister. It's a tiny little idea of how it all works. It's good news. And he does say that he will stick to the fiscal rules, and again we talked about that in the podcast earlier this week, and that he isn't going to stick to the fiscal rules because that's not really possible. Rates or reason was never going to stick to the fiscal rules because they all depended on you know, spending being really crunched towards the end of this decade, which was never going to happen, and it's still never going to happen. So we can talk about the physical rules, but they'll be new fiscal rules at some point. Having the fiscal rules are a statistical nonsense anyway. But nonetheless he's talking the correct game.
Speaker 2: He's talking the correct game. Where the uncertainty I think I would expect a little bit more insight to be coming in is because they are talking already about flexibility in those fiscal rules, and I didn't really know what that means. That's going to well, we'll see what it actually looks like when we when we eventually get there, that uncertainty doesn't seem to be a price, you know. But then there is actually a sort of counter argument to that, which is that you know, already the UK pays much higher premium to borrow money anyway, so there may well be a feeling that that's already priced in extent now, you know. So as far as we're aware, this is all already in there, and as you're kind of mentioning there, the fact is, once he actually gets there, a lot of these kind of initial questions, or these initial policies, or these maybe slightly more popular policies that are coming out now, he probably won't be able to do because everyone is constrained by the same fiscal rules. And as you kind of mentioned, it's all well and good to kind of not want to be in hot to bond markets. If you're not in hock to bond market.
Speaker 1: We are in hoe market exactly. The only way out of that is to dramatically slash spending and slash borrowing, and then you wouldn't be in hop of the bond market exactly, and it's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: So I think so far, you know, he's surrounded himself, particularly on the economic side, with a lot of kind of big you know, one key figures if you like, you know, these kind of like big names within within economics. I think where there's still a lot of question. We had a nice piece on Bloomberger about this over this week foreign Policy know anything there, and I was just mentioning the moving guilt. Marcus has been almost entirely down to geopolitics over the course of the last week, so that also needs to be kind of fleshed out as well.
Speaker 1: Well, let's come back to geopolitics, but actually let's just come back to oil. I mean, price is now basically down to where it was before the war started. There's assumption and none of this really happened. None of this really happened. Here we are back square one. So that's good in that that inflationary impulse of higher all prices is going to come through in the numbers. But we could now genuinely we could say that was transitory, and for the first time in quite a long time that would be true. It genuinely would be transit reinflation. But there are other things feeding in which we need to talk about. And there is this thing that had happened just a few hours ago of Apple saying they're putting up their prices fairly substantially because the chip price is going up. And we've been talking for a while on the podcast about how when people talk about AI, they talk about, you know, cost down, and they talk about productivity, but in fact, of course the hard ware it's very, very expensive, and that is a new inflation room impulse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean, there are a couple of inflationary impulses to think about with AI. So, as you mentioned, with memory chip prices, so you had a really neat thing happened today where we had Micron Technology, which is the biggest memory chip maker in the world, with incredibly good results, I mean, way way ahead of expectations, your huge demand, revenue, profit, everything that could be.
Speaker 1: I can't get there's one numb and there I can't get out of my head with an eighty six percent margin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's astonishingly high. Right, So that's on. That's one side of the AI story. And so all the chip makers and the memory companies are all going up with them today and by a lot. And micro remember is a big company. I mean, they're already worth nearly two trillion dollars, so there's a huge move. But on the complete other side of that, you get this other question about the sort of the reason that they're making this huge margin, which is the memory prices have gone through the roof because everything is being directed to AI, so the consumer stuff, so everything that's you know, and this is we're talking memory chips that go into basically anything electronic that exists in the world, from phones, you know with Apple, with you know, iPads and mac works. You're talking from there to you know, fridges, cars, like basically anything anyone buys has any electronics in it will have a memory chip in it. So you're getting an inflationary impost coming from that because as Apple and Apple being kind of the biggest electronics company in the world, they're pushing through prices. So if they're a if they're not able to sustain those margins and they're having to do it, that's not a good sign for everywhere else. And then the other side of it is, you know, there's another side who gets a triangle is that is the is data centers, you know, so spending huge amounts of money on data centers, this huge AI capex boom that's going on, but that requires lots of electricity, and people are going to have to pay for that somewhere down the line, exactly, And so eventually that is going to feed into people's electricity prices. And so that may that may not be because it does take quite a long time to build a data center, but even so that will start to happen as well, and the cost of building up the grid. So you've got all sorts of extra inflationary impulses coming from from it.
Speaker 1: It's difficult to tell whether you know, the end effective areas should be deflationary, as with all wonderful new technologies, but the creation of it did very inflationary. We can't quite see where we're going to end up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly right, you know. And so as you're mentioning, so oil prices have come all the way down when you look in the options market for Oilso what people are betting on what's going to happen in this sort of six months time, it's gone very bearish, Like everyone thinks of you know, maybe sort of flat over the course of the next sent I.
Speaker 1: Thing I was wondering about on that this is a random thought and we should probably els go on to oil expect tell us about that you're expending everythings. I'm going to ask you. One of the reasons why the oild person never went up to one hundred and fifty dollars two hundred dollars, like some of the more excitable people were suggesting at the beginning of the war, was because of the drawdown from everyone's reserves, right, yeah, reserves, and in particular from Chinese reserves. Massive drawdowns there because you know, we never saw any any demand destruction in China, so we know that huge amount of oil being useduff they have to be refilled. Yes, so that's a huge source of demand over the next couple of years. Yeah, yeah, So surely that would suggest that oil prices aren't going to fall below the use levels and may actually rise from here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's certainly a risk that, I mean, I would suggest it's more likely that they will stay kind of where they are now, so not you know, may marginally elevated from where they were before the war, but with a lot of a lot of volatility and a lot of wobbliness over the course of the rest of the year for exactly the reason you're mentioning. So part of it will require and this is this is why there's such a huge focus on this all the time. That the oil starts flowing through the straightforwar mirrors really sustainably for an extended period of time now with no breaks in it, with no issues, that's a big ask, like so, so that has to happen, and during that happening, then the reserves can start to be full. So you need these two things to kind of happen in concert with each other. But while they're happening in concert with each other, the likely old presses don't go much further down from where they are now, and those inflationary kind of impulses that have happened with all going up for a few months will still be flowing through during that during that time.
Speaker 1: The last thing I want to ask you about is again all connected to your politics, connected to inflation, connected for everything, and it's the gold price. Because this is disappointing, isn't it for gold bugs, This is disappointing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I would say you know, just calm everyone. You know, it's still only just a little bit below four thousand dollars nouns, but that was a really key level.
Speaker 1: Below four thousand dollars. I mean, remember the excitement when over five thousand, John and I could barely contain ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we are back. And actually, you know, as we go as it comes back through that level again, you know, that's the level that it went through as gold stopped acting like gold, you know, it started to become a kind of momentum trade. So the likelihood is you will have had a lot of investors, probably a lot of retail traders as well, coming in there as it was going above four thousand dollars. So it may well be that people are sitting on some some hefty losses from gold as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought you were going to say that clever retail trades had ridden it all the way up and sold it all the way down, and.
Speaker 2: If they hold on then it may well, you know, and they've.
Speaker 1: Taken money out to pop into the SpaceX holdings, for example, down again today.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, that's that's possible as well. SpaceX. Well, when I got up from my desk every almost everything was going up for a bit and then it was going back down for a bit. And so whether what it's doing right at this moment, I can't tell you, but you know, yes, so gold, you know, we've had just a long period of time when gold hasn't has not been acting in the way that gold tradition acts, right, and even now as doing what it's doing now, it's still not quite doing that. It's not quite the gold, you know. And I think there's still a lot of air in that market, so it will have that might well, you may well see a bit more volatility come through, but you know, historically it does remain, you know, you pretty elevated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I suppose if we've mentioned gold, we're going to have to mention Bitcoin, which is now below sixt two thousand and again, so we're back to September twenty four. Yes, yes, that's quite a big ship.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and actually that one so you're just asking about SpaceX. That was something we actually really did see evidence of, was retail traders getting rid of their Bitcoin holdings in order to buy SpaceX. And that was happening actually across all sorts of spaces. It was happening with some of the high flying kind of chip stocks as well.
Speaker 1: It cost to holding bitcoin forever. I thought that was It's not. It wasn't. We've learned as not a currency, and the new gig is that it's a long term assage. You hold it forever. There's neither of those things.
Speaker 2: That's a great point actually, so so yeah, so last year we had this debasement trade, right, This was like a for a few months. This was the idea that the dollar is no longer king and that people are putting their money into gold or bitcoin, and that seems to have fritted away over the course of this past year. I think a lot of the enthusiasm, you know, cooin does rely to an extent on enthusiasm on investors just being enthused about getting into gold, pumping their money into the ets they've now been launched, you know, these kind of institutional funds, all of those companies too. You know, when you have this much equity supply, like SpaceX, when you have this much excitement about a different corner of the marketcoin yes, sorry, yes, about bitcoin, yes, they're so. When you have this much excitement about AI or about you know, SpaceX particularly and Big I pos coming later in the year for open AI or anthropic. When all of that is going on, it seems like the sort of traders that are in bitcoin are the ones who are then thinking, actually, I'm going to move a little bit away from here.
Speaker 1: As all about stories, isn't it. I mean, bitcoin is very story driven, and one of the things that we've seen since since you first heard about bitcoin is the constant renewal of the story. It's not there, we were, it's not quite that is this? No, no, it is this now, it's this, now, it's this, and when there isn't a good story and right now there isn't a good news story for bitcoin, but they're amazing stories results. Where So if you're a story led investor, yeah, you're heading to.
Speaker 2: The narrative is not good enough to bring you in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, of course I'm a SpaceX investor, as all listeners to my podcast, no, I have nine SpaceX shares, and I had promised the team that I would use my winnings to take them out for a drink. So you know, sorry, guys, well sorry, not winnings. Not winnings, and that's not how we call it. We are capital gains capital again We're not gambling.
Speaker 2: Yet, but you know, we will see what happens that because I mean it's just very briefly on SpaceX. I mean, I mean, I've been a reporter on stocks for fifteen years. I've never seen an IPO like that ever. And since then, they've then they did an acquisition just two days later with sixty billion dollars. They are borrowing a huge amount of money in credit markets. They are sort of getting into all sorts of corners of the market, and so they're becoming already quite a kind of important company in all sorts of different sexes of the market. It will be really interesting to see.
Speaker 1: How that is interesting. And you know, there is nothing average about SpaceX at all in there, I'm so interesting in so many many ways. But the average tech ipo end its first year down about eighteen percent. And my concern is that maybe the one place in which SpaceX sends out to be average.
Speaker 2: It's possible, It's possible, you know, but I think, you know, when we're talking about bitcoin there and then this kind of enthusiasm the AI story, there is obviously a huge amount of enthusiasm for the AI story. No U and SpaceX goes into that as well. But SpaceX is almost like a narrative in and of itself, so yes, it has kind of this AI element to it. But he's the same kind of people who like a story, who like a narrative, and if they can get that narrative going, then you know, you never know.
Speaker 1: Of course, is the Skuy the limit or the moon the limit? The moon that's fantastic. Beau is absolutely fantastic, Okay, brilliant. Is there anything else that we need to tell people today?
Speaker 2: No, I think there is so many things to be focused on in markets at the moment that if we do that, we may never leave.
Speaker 1: We think we've given them enough for one day. Thank you, Sam, Thank you so much. Thanks for listening to this week's Marion Talks Money Market Rap. If you like our show, rate review and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts. Also, be sure to follow me and John on ex or Twitter at marinsw and John Underscore step Exammy on Twitter.
Speaker 2: I'm not very much on Twitter, but you can follow me on LinkedIn and you can find the Market Today blog on Bloomberg UK every day excellent.
Speaker 1: Thank you. This episode was produced by Summersadi and Moses and questions and comments on this show and all our shows are always welcome. Our show email is Merrior Money at Bloomberg dot net