Speaker 1: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You don't know if you don't lie about that, right, Lauren came in. Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 1: It's Laura la Rosa and this is another episode of the Latest with Laurena Rosa. This is your daily dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all the conversations that shake the room.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: So today we're going to get right on into the episode because there is a lot to talk about. Let's get on into the Latest. So we talked a lot on our last episode. If you did not get a chance to listen, go back and take a listen to the episode prior to this one about the National Association of Black Journalists, which is an organization it is the largest organization in support of black journalists in the US, and a shot that they threw stephen A. Smith's way. Let's take a listen to the NABJ giving stephen A. Smith the thumbs Down Award.
Speaker 3: A sick listen stephen A Smith, sports analysts and political commentator. Smith has established a recurring public pattern of disparaging commentary directed at prominent black women across politics, sports, and media. Such commentary reinforces harmful narratives, undermines the fair and respectful representation of Black women in public discourse, and stands in direct conflict with nabj's long standing commitment to accurate, responsible, and inclusive portrayals of black communities.
Speaker 2: Now in this.
Speaker 1: Award annually is a mock or a designer that is given by the National Association of Black Journalists or NABJ, to individuals or institutions whose reporting, commentary, or actions conflict with the group's missions and values. Their mission their values is all about uplifting black journalists, making it just easy for black journalists to be in spaces doing their jobs, telling their stories and being factual about it, and people being factual about them as they do it. Now, this award was first presented in nineteen eighty nine, has been given out dozens and dozens of times, but this year President of the NABJ, Aaron Haynes, decided to give it to Steven A. Smith, who was a member of the National Association of Black Journalists and has done a ton of work with them, and he did not.
Speaker 2: Take it lightly.
Speaker 1: So he has finally responded, let's take a listen to Stephen a smith on him just even finding out about this and trying to figure out why he was awarded this.
Speaker 4: What the hell does this thumbs down award have to do with journalism disparaging black women? How I've heard people bringing up Jasmine Crockett. Did I sit up there asking why would you curse out the president of the United States with the cameras rolling?
Speaker 2: How is that going to help you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I did. Why did I do that?
Speaker 4: Not only because she's in Texas and I know they were a little bit different in Texas, a bit more conservative, and I didn't think that would work with her constituency down there.
Speaker 3: How is that disparaging?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Steven A goes after Michelle Obama. She's the one that compared first Take to a reality show, And I use that as an opportunity to say, this marvelous, wonderful woman, who's the greatest first lady in American history, who I have raised and praised and praised time and time and again. All I did was say, I don't like the fact that you said a vote for him, as in Donald Trump, would be a vote against us as women.
Speaker 2: All I said was, there's.
Speaker 4: A whole bunch of pro lifers out there. There's a whole bunch of people that care about the economy, on immigration or safety in the streets. They might not even be thinking about this issue. Now.
Speaker 1: I told you guys in my last episode that I personally, personally know of a lot of work that Steven A. Smith does in the black journalist space, the HBCU space. He mentions a bitterness on his show in his response as well too.
Speaker 2: Let's say listen in.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety four, I began my career at the Philadelphia Enquirer courtesy of Sondra Long, a longtime executive for the Philadelphia Enquirer, synonymous with the NABJ, whom I first met at the job speare of the NABJ. My career started because I was at the nab JAY job there and yet Saturday night, I saw the president of the organization, Aaron Haynes, go up on stage and give me a thumbs down award for disparaging.
Speaker 1: Black But again, just because the person is doing and donating, I don't think that is a reason for them to go without criticism and critique. I don't always agree with how Steve Nasmith does his job, but I do think that the points that he puts on the board, not just for his own career in himself, but what he does for other people should mean something, you know, I think, And I also think him apologizing when he gets it wrong should mean something as well.
Speaker 2: And he made a good point.
Speaker 1: They talk about, you know, the remarks that he had, you know, towards Serena Williams, which were out of pocket, and he did apologize for Let's take listen to those remarks.
Speaker 4: If I'm married and my wife is going to join troll and her ex, go back to his ass because you don't belong.
Speaker 2: With me, what'd you worried about?
Speaker 4: Infl stop it.
Speaker 2: You if you win Serena.
Speaker 1: If you win Serena Williams, you're gonna be a kept a man anyway.
Speaker 2: Don't start any apology.
Speaker 4: Not didn't utter a disrespectful word towards Serena Williams. So I don't know where the whole Serena protection protocol kicks in. I didn't say anything about her. I said, hey, listen, if I'm a man and I'm married, I certainly don't want my wife showing any kind of energy, positive, negative or otherwise to another dude. That happens to be her ex That'll make me think, what's she thinking about him? Why is she thinking about him so much? Why does she feel the need to exert any energy emotional or otherwise when it comes to that. That's where I was coming from. But it was more of a gender issue more so than anything else, in terms of men and how a lot of men feel. I'm not going to say most. I'm not going to say all because I don't know. I'm gonna tell you how I feel. What I expressed is exactly what I meant. I'm not apologizing for it. I'm not condoning it either.
Speaker 1: Did They also talk about Jasmine Crockett. We talked about that on our last episode, and the fact that he had talked about her in.
Speaker 2: A way to me that was just very Uh.
Speaker 1: It was respectability politics, like black people should talk like this and sound like this and do these certain things because if not, it'll never work for us in our perspective areas, which I don't believe. But they also had critiques of him, and you know different things that he said about Kamala Harris. Now he reveals something that we didn't know on this episode. He talks about how his critiques of Kamala Harris and being able to do so because she's a person in the political seat led to a very real in person conversation A sick listen Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: But everybody wants to bring up the fact that I sat up there and I pointed out how she didn't even make it to Iowa in twenty twenty, which is fact, and that Democratic primary was bypassed in order to facilitate her being a Democratic nominee for the presidency of the United States of America. And then you have it in the palm of your hands and his support of millions upon millions of people, and you go on to view and Sonny Houston asked you a softball question with Sonny Houston acknowledge for the view, and you passed by saying I can't think of anything I would do differently when it was clearly a border crisis. Last time I checked NABJ, that ain't journalism, that ain't talking fast.
Speaker 1: I did reach out to NABJA president Aaron Haynes, who says that she will be coming on the show to have the conversation about her decision.
Speaker 2: Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith did reveal that he's never met Aaron Haynes, they don't personally have a relationship, even though he is very close with a lot of the board members.
Speaker 2: He also says that there were some board members.
Speaker 1: And people who were actively there that were disgusted by the fact that he was given this award, and he talks to just a bit about why he is he believes these attacks are coming his way.
Speaker 2: He says, it's politic.
Speaker 4: This ain't about disparaging women. This is about people who've politicized everything, looking for an excuse to come at me because you don't like what I have to say. I'm gonna put it out there. This is about a bunch of liberals, a bunch of Democrats coming for me, which is why I should be flattered, because you hear the footsteps, don't you. You know, at any given moment, I can decide to come at it. I can decide to run because with the stuff that I'm seeing, it wouldn't be hard to win. I do have some conservative use, and I understand as trifling as this president can be with his behavior and some of the policies he's tried to implement, I get the fear it's real. I understand it. I'm a black man, but that does not give a journalist organization the right to attack me that way.
Speaker 1: And again, I mean, look again, I think that you should be able to criticize people on the side of your table and across the table. But I do think that there is a regard that should be always thought about when speaking of blacklack women, especially because you and as a black woman, I just know how for us, it's like we already out here fighting the world, and black men I hear y'all when y'all say this, we fight the world every day when we walk outside of our house, when we come home, we want peace. Black women feel the same way. And home just isn't literally your actual home. It's when you come into your community, when you are indulging with your people, and it's not always just peace.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's just reverence. Like I just know that you want.
Speaker 1: I just want to know that even if we disagree, you regard me in such a way that there's a boundary to where we go in conversation and our disagreement.
Speaker 2: And I look all skin folk.
Speaker 1: And kim folk at the same time, so I understand that sentiment as well. But I think with Stephen A. Smith, it's we should correct, not cancel. Has always been my sentiment when having a conversation about a Stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith, And you.
Speaker 1: Know, I don't feel like that about everybody, but in his situation, again, I didn't like a lot of the comments he made, especially about Jasmincrack and I've said that other places. But at the same time, I think we can't get around what the path that he has forged. Now, I will say, I think you know him having these conversations about wanting to run for president. I felt like when he responded to Donald Trump, you know, calling his IQ low, his response was very soft and he had way more energy for a Jasmine Crockett or a Kamalo or Michelle Obama. When Michelle Obama talked about his show and called, you know the show he's on a reality TV.
Speaker 2: Show, the energy was just different.
Speaker 1: That's what I also think has gotten him to this point where Black people feel like there's a there's Stephen A. Smith, the man, the myth, the legend who does all these things for black people, black journalists, and then there's a caricature of Stephen A. Smith that right now is positioning himself for something and he's saying he's being attacked because of politics, whereas other people look at it like because of politics, that caricature is now coming out, and we don't like it, and we want to correct it, and we want to get as far away from it as we can. This is a conversation that I think is really interesting though, because again it's like, does the NABJ as an organization is just a good look for them to pick aside and not be neutral when coming at a journalist like Stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith.
Speaker 1: Now Aaron Haynes, the president of the NABJ, She sat down with Roland Martin and she talked a bit about the decision and some of the things leading up to this.
Speaker 2: Let's take a.
Speaker 5: Listener look at what we named this year. I think we have to agree that there's a clear through line. We're looking at the forces that make it harder for black journalists to do their jobs and harder for black communities to be covered fairly and fully. Like that includes government officials that are exerting their pressure on the press, news organizations that are making decisions that we can diversity and coverage, media owners who are facing questions about the treatment of black journalists who we know are under attack by internal and external forces across this country, and also influencer commentators whose rhetoric can be inform harmful narratives about Black people, particularly black women.
Speaker 2: Now you know me.
Speaker 5: We've been on this board together for a year now, and I've been very clear that advocacy is central to my presidency, particularly advocacy around black women and our professions.
Speaker 1: Let me know what you guys think, like, I really want to know, get in the streets, get in the tweets. I was gonna say, do we even pick a side? But I don't think that it is that we pick a side. I think more so what conversations should be coming out of this How do we police or how do we set boundaries for the people that we know are important to us?
Speaker 2: And should we even have to do that. I'm Lorna Rosa.
Speaker 1: This is another episode of the Latest with Marna La Rosa, your DELI dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations that shake the room. I tell you, guys, every episode, y'all could be anywhere within your body, but y'all choose to be right here with me, my little riders.
Speaker 2: I appreciate y'all, and I'll cut you in my next one.