Speaker 1: What do you think was the difference for you? Like, what do you think was it grace of God? Was it something special you did?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Why do you think because Burbs is big? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That was my first bro?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 1: You just got abs and hair and followers at the bird?
Speaker 3: God just give him everything? What up? Y'all?
Speaker 1: Welcome to Not My Best Moment with me kep on Stage, a podcast where I talk to artists, athletes, entertainers and personal friends people I admire about their failures, based off my book Successful Failure, which by the way, is a New York Times bestseller if I do say so myself. Today we are joined by Charles Brockman, the third. Two other Charles Brockman's before him, and there may be many more after him, but he is a third. You might know him by CB three on social media. He's an actor, writer, director, singer and parody content creator. You may have seen him in his short Thanks for Listening. You've also seen him in The Burbs, Bougie, Bloody Mary, and Locked Up for Christmas. You've probably seen him down to the TikTok, the Instagram reels or YouTube shorts. I found him down on the TikTok and down to the gram. He has an incredibly popular YouTube channel which has over six point seven million subscribers and down to the top eight point eight million subscribers. Because Charles is so very talented, please welcome Charles bark On the third.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Now? Should I call you Charles? CB three? CB three the third?
Speaker 2: All of them work?
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna call you c B.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: We found Now we usually talk to either content creators, actors or athletes. Fun fact, prior to any of this, you were an athletes. Athlete, okay, current right now, as we live and breathe today, you still hold the Mississippi State freshman record for the four hundred meter hurdles at fifty zero point three six seconds.
Speaker 3: Yes, I ain't know you was no athlete.
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't.
Speaker 3: You were a hurdler.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: My wife was a hurdler.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: She ran the three hundred lows in high school.
Speaker 1: They wanted to run the you know, they go open quarter in college, but she was like, I don't want to run with them girls. They faster than me. I said, you fast. She used to run the four by one, four by four. Her sister was a four hundred runner. The four hundred hurdles is a very difficult event still technically a sprint.
Speaker 3: Anything under four hundred is technically a sprint. How was it growing?
Speaker 1: Because if you have the record, that means you were a star athlete for a very long time. So take us back to Charles Brockman the athlete before we gets to Charles Brockman the entertainer.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I started when I was seven, so I'm almost twenty seven now, so you know, to put that into perspective, I ran until I was about twenty two. I did a lot of other sports before track, but once I reached that, you know, I was like, this is what I'm great. At my very first year, I did long jump and I made it to State not knowing what I was doing. I literally was just running and jumping at seven. At seven, you may have just state the first year. Yes, my very first year doing track, I did long jump. You couldn't do hurdles until you were eleven, so I mean that's really why I didn't start into it. But long jump was the first thing I did the four hundred and two hundred, so I was like a sprinter and long jumper and I made it to State and then scratched all my jumps because I didn't know what I was doing. But it was still a great experience. It taught me so much of like sacrifice doing it from.
Speaker 2: Such a young age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's translated such, you know, so much into my daily life now, Like I owe a lot of that to being an athlete.
Speaker 1: I was curious about that, like specific, because one would think athletics in content creation acting are very different worlds. You don't see that many successful athletes become actors and vice versa. You see, you know, singers can act, that's very common, but athletics in content creation is not as common. There are some people who do well in both, but you wouldn't the common mind wouldn't think the correlations. But what correlations do you think helped you from you know, a high level athlete to high level content creator.
Speaker 4: I would say just the focus and dedication. When I put my mind to something, I do it. You know, I tend to do it also because yes, track is an individual sport, but when you get to the higher level, you're competing for your team, like your school, and that's a pressure within itself. Just figuring out like how can I be my best and also contribute to this team and compartmentalize all the things that I need to get done, like the practicing, the rehab, all of the things that go into being an athlete. So I translated that into content creation, specifically early on when I was managing myself, when I was creating my own you know, skits and scripts and everything while still being in college. So I would practice and go to class and then come back. It would be maybe seven PM, but I would I would write, I would film, edit, post all in the same day. And I did that for a very long time.
Speaker 1: So wait a second, I thought you had there was no crossover. You were you were record holding ability track athlete, right and content creator? How long have you been making.
Speaker 2: Content since twenty fifteen?
Speaker 3: I will say in twenty eleven years so we were sixteen.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I was my first YouTube video. I was probably sixteen fifteen years old. And that was just like very fun up until around twenty twenty two. Like when we get into that, you know, it was just fun and I was, you know, once twenty twenty came, I actually, you know, they sent us home because of the pandemic.
Speaker 2: We can run, we couldn't go.
Speaker 4: To school or in person, so right, right, So it took a year away from our eligibility, but it was given back to us. So in that twenty twenty time frame, I got on TikTok and then that's really the type of content that you see now. Started in twenty twenty, but in twenty fifteen, I started with music and other skits and things.
Speaker 3: How do you how do you decide?
Speaker 1: Because you're so talented at so many different disciplines, how do you decide what I'm gonna do? Or is it better for you because you're so good at so many different things to be able to say, oh, I'm finish sing for this, I'm going to write this short film. It's just gonna make a funny TikTok. I'm gonna do a parody. You know, Like, how do you even decide? Or is just like whatever you feel that day or that moment.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm still learning. I'm still figuring that out. I think the good thing about having the talents, like, you know, as long as you, I guess practice them, which is also another thing sports teaches you practice and everything. Yeah, they never really go away. You still have them. So I stopped. I didn't make a music cover or a song or even wrote since about twenty twenty one, and within the past like five weeks, I've just now started to get back into sharing music and you know, writing more and you know, singing more. So you know, that was just off of me, like just trying to get back into why I fell in love with entertaining and you know, because I think it really started with the acting and singing, and I was like, I'm neglecting this whole aspect of my creativity. So yeah, it just really depends on what I'm achieving and what I feel like I haven't touched in a while. And if I'm doing everything at once, then it's like, Okay, what do I want to take to the next level?
Speaker 2: Bring everything else.
Speaker 1: Up to So you went to Mississippi State D one. Yes, scholarship athlete. Yes, I imagine, I didn't want to assume. Yeah, that means you probably got offers from everyone. What made you decide on Mississippi State? Actually you didn't get offers.
Speaker 4: I didn't get offers from everyone as one might think.
Speaker 3: One might think, you know, I usually you get D one, you get multiple D one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I got the interest letters. They send the questionnaires to like every junior in high school that's running at a certain level.
Speaker 2: You know, you fill out a questionnaire.
Speaker 4: You say like what your event is, what your goals are, what you want your major to be, and then you send it back to the school.
Speaker 2: I would get them from all of the schools.
Speaker 4: So like when I made this graphic of like all the letters that I had received, even football players.
Speaker 2: Do that take a picture with all the letters.
Speaker 4: Those aren't offers, you know, maybe Capain well sometimes sometimes Little cat Boy.
Speaker 3: Offer you. They just said if you want to come.
Speaker 4: Maybe because you only take five I mean, let me speak for track, because I don't know everything for every sport. For track, you take five official visits, and those by then the only schools that really offer for me anything or like took the time. It's not like I had to like say, oh, I got to put these to the side because I gotta choose these five.
Speaker 2: It was literally five.
Speaker 4: It was Mississippi State, North Carolina, Texas A and m Alabama and Baylor kind of they wanted me there, but they didn't want to pay me my first year.
Speaker 3: There's a lot oh wow, but.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mississippi State ultimately was my choice because they had a strong hurdle crew and they had the closest to my major. I really wanted to go to Texas A and M, but I would have to do like agricultural journalism. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and I just was like I was fighting it.
Speaker 2: So that was a little bit of a hard decision. So I was there.
Speaker 4: I was at Mississippi State for two years and then went to the University of Texas u T.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Austin t ain't. Nobody told me nothing.
Speaker 2: Did the transfer really?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So yeah, it was interesting being the number one hurdler, like on paper, a combined hurdler, at least the one ten four hundred hurdles. Like I've won Junior Olympics in both every year. Maybe one year I got like second or third in one of them. But yeah, to not really feel like I was getting recruited by the huge schools like Oregon or even.
Speaker 2: UT at first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that just goes to show because at that time, you know, UT didn't have the coach that I transferred into, so maybe that one wasn't interested.
Speaker 2: But the one that I eventually met was.
Speaker 1: So you were junior, you were winning the Junior my my niece's nieces and nephews who run track.
Speaker 3: You know, Texas relays, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: We My wife was like, I said, a track runner. My family's a lot of tracks. I've been to a lot of track meets hate, the track meets love track. I don't like untimed sports. Yeah, now track is technically timed, but track meets I mean you you might as well just move in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you gotta run the mile coming up? Fun a cover for the thirty two and get the thirty two hundred on another trap.
Speaker 4: Imagine being seven and I wanted to go to a birthday party and it's seven am and you're there until seven pm.
Speaker 2: The thing I went through it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Texas heat in Texas? He so, is that where you were raised?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: See, Texas is between Texas, California and Florida usually got the best runners.
Speaker 3: You've just seen, is it gout? Gout? He's like a sixteen year old sprintcess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't I know him being a phenomenon.
Speaker 3: He's phenomenon. Yeah. So let's back up. Yes, you are.
Speaker 1: You are a Junior Olympics winning the Junior Olympics. You are a Mississippi state freshman record holder.
Speaker 3: You are on track to go pro as a track athlete, right, which.
Speaker 1: Means you know, diamond relays in Europe, sponsorships, Olympics, all that type of stuff. Your career is derailed by injury or you're he were hospitalized. Yeah, tell us what happened, Walk us through where you were in that time frame, because you have a clear vision of your your path and then that becomes very cloudy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's interesting because I almost have to call it an injury because if I just say a mystery illness, like I still don't really know, No one really knows what happened. But basically that was a tough year anyway, because it was twenty twenty two. I didn't get COVID when it first the first big wave, but I got it in twenty twenty one and in twenty twenty two, and twenty twenty two was my last year, so getting that right when season was starting. My first race, I ran great the day before, and then when finals came, I was like super sick. Didn't really know what it was, you know, And that was like my first outdoor race, So then after that I was out. Then I had an ankle injury and it's just all it's just super physical things that like set me back. So I was really proud that I made it to the NAA. I mean not into blazps NCAA tracking peek and you know I made it. I was like, I finally, you know, I'm back at Nationals. I hadn't gotten to you know, running a while, and I made it. So it was really feeling good. And then the day before I felt kind of off traveling because we travel a few days before. But it was like I just had a headache, maybe if I felt like I might have a fever. But that day before, like I was just like doubled over in pain, Like it felt like I was getting stabbed in my stomach. Oh my god, everywhere just on fire, and it just would not go away, to the point where I was like I have to go to the hospital and I get there, they are doing all these tests. I'm in there all night, all day, and they still really can't tell me what it is. They're like, it's not you don't have COVID. It's nothing like that. It's not the flu. Maybe you have like crones or like something like that. Because it was it was that type of issue pretty ongoing after that. So the next day it was time to run and they gave me. I was on drugs, so I felt better, and you know, being a team player, I was like, I can do it. I can do it. I ran and I got last place out of everybody, like by a long shot.
Speaker 1: And I know that had to be an unusual feeling for you. Yes, were you feeling fast or were you running like.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, this is not I was feeling like practicing. I knew I was off, but more so like if you get top because this was also prelims, so all I had to get was like top eight, and then I would make it to the finals and I would.
Speaker 3: Score eight of your heat or eight overall.
Speaker 4: Okay, so maybe like out of twenty four, I had to get eight, I believe, or nine because that track had nine lanes, so as long as you made it to the finals, you would score. So that was my coach's biggest thing, like if you can run, I really would love for you to run so you can potentially make finals feeling even better and then score helping us win. Yeah, so I was down for it. It's not like I felt super four, but I knew. When I got on that line, I was like, yeah, nope.
Speaker 2: So I started.
Speaker 4: I was doing my best, and then once I got off that second curve, I was standing in place and it was still going, and I just I haven't even watched that video again because I'm like, it might not even be as bad as I'm thinking. To lose by that much when I had such high hopes for sure, you know, it just it was insane. So I just was like, yeah, I can't do anything. They wanted me on the relay, but after they saw me, they were like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you shouldn't help us at all further. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then my roommate got it whatever, well he got something, yeah, and so he thought whatever I was going through, I gave it to him whole time. It was just a very weird like year for nationals for the University of Texas.
Speaker 1: So when do you realize that that illness plus the ankle injury was gonna impact your trajectory because you know, like say you hurt your knee orp your ankle or showed it like you know, okay, for six weeks, I'll be back. Yeah, this is not career ending, right, Like when you realize hold on my my career might be impacted by this.
Speaker 3: How did that settle into you?
Speaker 4: The ankle injury was mostly settled by then. That was kind of the least of my worries because I was still running, you know, with that illness, because I was in and out of the doctor so much and them not really telling me.
Speaker 2: They just really did not know.
Speaker 4: They were like, the most thing we can relate it to is like altert of colitis or crones or something with your intestines. You know, how to do all the tests and all the labs and everything.
Speaker 2: It was like, I'm on hold. So it's like I'm not running.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like I can run. And I think the first time I touched the track again after June of twenty twenty two was January or no, maybe December of that same year.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's a long time for you, for sure, running for my whole life, you know, and taking that much off. But also it was that blessing in disguise because I never had a summer off, you.
Speaker 3: Know, since you were seven. Yeah, I shock kids a summer sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And summer sport if them kids be hot, yeah, and blazing heat, you got to run at the time.
Speaker 3: I mean to top of.
Speaker 1: The day, right, swattering heat or swattering humidity. Yeah, so what you from seven to How old are you in this time? Early twenties, Yes, twenty two. I'm twenty two when I finished.
Speaker 3: So that's fifteen years of no summers off.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, no summers off whatsoever. I for sure like Junior Olympics would end around maybe this first week of August school would.
Speaker 2: Be starting, but I would still have that little bit. Yeah, we had.
Speaker 4: Like a well, honestly, we really didn't do too much because all the traveling for TRACK was was the fun. Like we might extend the trip and stay a few days, right, you know, but it was never like We're going on a family vacation. So I remember that year after that, I took every vacation possible. We went to Mexico. That next month, I went to SA Fest in New Orleans. I went, we went somewhere. I went to Kansas for a family reunion that.
Speaker 3: You was just picking.
Speaker 4: I was just picking, you know, No, no, my mom's from there, but yeah, we I hadn't gotten to go to that reunion in a long time, so it was like we were just doing stuff.
Speaker 1: I want to take a quick break from the show to hear from our ad sponsors. Did you when you were growing up, were you like regretting this part like your you know, your school friends are just going to Disneyland or six Flags and you were training or racing or running. I mean, I imagine you enjoyed track, but like you missing out on stuff. Did you Did I ever feel like that or you like, nah, this is track, I like, you know, competing that type of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: I was very locked in to where a lot of you just make friends with your teammates, so it's like I'm having a great time like practicing every I get to go to see them every day, like when we go to the track and practice. For the most part, it did get more on the lonely side, even in high school because I would be one of the few that made it all the way to like Junior Olympics.
Speaker 3: So by then's not with you now.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm now unattached. I'm running unattached. You know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I would still re rep the team, but my dad started to coach me, and so it would just be the second the second.
Speaker 2: Junior at June yeah, okaydd a junior.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you know, I didn't really have too much fomo because I was having a great time and it's great to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was considered it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's always nerve wracking competing and doing something like that, the satisfaction of like, Okay, I did great this season. I can now eat a burger and a milkshit and.
Speaker 3: Think about your diet and all that stuff. Yeah. You I'm about to get a milkshake right after this, right now. Because I don't run fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if a dog chase me, dog wins, Yeah, I want to know.
Speaker 3: You know, track is a very.
Speaker 1: You're in control of everything, right, So when you lose a track, a race, basketball, I can blame the coach, I can blame the ref. I can blame my teammates in a race, you they ran faster. How did that part of I always admire track athletes, boxers, anybody who there's no one else to blame, so when you win, it is also you as well.
Speaker 3: How did that, if at all?
Speaker 1: How did that track approach translated like TikTok and Instagram, where you are at the mercy of the algorithm or the people. It's not fully I mean, it's in your control how much you output, but it's not really in your control how well a video does. Was that like a struggle to transition to.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was so when I first started like YouTube and everything. Back then, I was still in high school, Like I would go around and make all my friends like my videos, and you know that I was doing the marketing. You know, I was taking their phones and I was liking my video marketing.
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 4: So I was doing that, and that was just like, you know, and they knew that I was like the guy who would make videos and whatever. When it got to TikTok, I didn't understand it for a long time, so I would always delete it, download it, delete it several times until I was like, Okay, now I'm at home, like in the pandemic, as everyone is doing, for sure, let me get on it. So I hopefully it's like privated by now. But there would be several videos where I would just be crashing out, like why am I not getting views? What's going on? I'm posting these funny videos. They probably weren't even all that, you know, and I just was. I was very upset, and I'd be like, there these people are blowing up and doing half of what I'm.
Speaker 2: Doing, which is you know sometime.
Speaker 4: Friends only Yeah, before they even had that, Yeah, I feel like but yeah, it was very difficult to understand that. Oh, like I just got to keep trying and like, you know, I'm starting something completely new into like actually really sitting and making a video every day or like doing it, you know, because I wanted to do well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Was there a singular moment where you're like, Okay, I'm not chasing track, no pun intended, I'm going down this path of influencer content creation. Was it a moment or was it like a transition? Like how did you come to the thing where I'm going to put quote unquote track energy into you know, content even though you've been doing content, but like more where you're leaving track behind.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, even you know, mentioning earlier, Like I didn't get back on the track until October of twenty twenty two. By then that's two years in to me, I already have I don't however, many millions of followers on tick talk because I grinded from twenty twenty to twenty twenty two, so when I'm not in college anymore, which also was a hurdle, no pun intended. Because NIOL rules, I couldn't even make my money while I was an athlete.
Speaker 3: Oh you were still part of it.
Speaker 4: My senior year I was able to do that, but by the I mean I was already a whole year and a half after Yeah, so yeah, but you know, I realized that, like, Okay, I'm not running, I'm able to My first time coming to LA was in August of that year. I went to a networking event. I met a lot of the friends that I still have now, and it's like I just was building my community. They were inviting me to other stuff. I was getting asked to host events from YouTube and go to VidCon and playlist these different type of conventions. So I'm outside, you know, I'm having a good time, and then I'm like, oh wait, maybe I should like try again track or something. And I would practice for a week and feel really good, and then I would be gone for two two weeks doing something else. And then I think around February of twenty twenty three, I was like, yeah, it's not sustainable to keep forcing it, you know. And I'm in a different space than all of these people, like I'm now training with friends, but also people that are really taking it seriously and like, of course the dream was still like Olympics, but I'm like, well that's twenty twenty four, like that's another year and all this other stuff. And I knew that the way that we were all talking about different things, I was just on a different you know, I had things to do otherwise. So that was really the moment I would say that that following year when I was like, I'm making money. I'm flying myself out to these places to invest in my craft, making my short films. By then, so I was like, you know, it's time to hang it up a bit. And I didn't even work out in the gym until like a whole year later.
Speaker 1: What did that feel like? Because you, like, you know, athletes are most high level, are creatures of routine, right, creatures of habit. You don't even have to feel like working out to work out. What was it like when you're like, I ain't going to the gym and nobody can make me and I ain't got no meat coming up to the Olympics.
Speaker 3: It's over. I'm a senior. Now, did you.
Speaker 1: Feel like ice cream and cake and the type of thing then you eventually you have to be like I kind of got locked in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's like it's weird because like, I never I've always been the same weight pretty much for like a long time. But I can tell when it's muscle or when it's fat.
Speaker 1: You know, it's great, that's cool. Yeah, it's fantastic. I imagine that'd be like really cool to just like, no matter what, you're.
Speaker 4: So hard to like just always be in shape.
Speaker 1: That was funny my whole my wife and both my kids same way. My son could eat this TV and he wouldn't gain up. I mean you wouldn't even see it. You would not see that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I just think about a bit cheeseburger. It's like it's gonna be here and here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I noticed it a little bit.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't have My always defining factor was my abs because I had a six pack since I was like ten.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So once I realized, Okay, now I'm like I'm outside and I'm going to these pool parties and I'm having fun, but now I don't look the same. But I realized that, I was like, I need to work out anyway. But I was so used to training my whole life. I just needed that whole break to Yeah. You know, I wasn't doing anything crazy or eating crazy, but I just needed a long rest.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then I got back in that routine, and I had to teach myself really because I was so used to doing like Olympic style lifting or things that really were for track and field.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm working out now in just my small apartment gym.
Speaker 3: Just from like maintenance. Right, So I'm curious.
Speaker 1: You know, you have a massive amounts of followers on multiple platforms, and a lot of times there's some crossover, but a lot of times people just follow you on TikTok or they just follow you on Instagram. You know, I follow you on both, but I have my eye own talent. I'm curious, are there have there been negatives to being such a visible figure, like you know track athletes. It's just like from where you talked about how you were ranked, Like, I feel like there's a lot of admiration and your hate probably just comes from you know, your opponents and beat me and people can't beat you when when that when that gun go off, what you're finna do? We in the same lane, right, But when it's content creation, people still can't beat you, but they can they can try to tear you down.
Speaker 3: How did you deal with that?
Speaker 1: Where during a track meet they're just buying you because you're on the opposite team. During on TikTok and Instagram they could be boring you, you know, boing you for a myriad of reasons like that. Was that a hard thing to get used to or has it even happened? Maybe it hasn't happened to you.
Speaker 2: I'll say that.
Speaker 4: I haven't really gotten hate comments or things that have brought me down specifically pertaining to myself for anything. But you know, like with my content style of parody, I'll get like the the stands of the people that I like pick fun, you know, which it's all in good fun, but they'll like be like don't ever make fun of Michael Jackson, or like I'm the biggest Michael Jackson band. You know, it's like all in good fun. So I've gotten those type of things. But even answering your question of like being the public figure and like being seen in that way, it's it's interesting. I can't really wrap my head around when you see that number and like that's actual people who follow you, and then it gets to the point where it's like, okay, now when you're recognizing public or you know, when the interactions are nice or if they're kind of on the weird side.
Speaker 3: I just met somebody else Musty, yes, and I just.
Speaker 2: Do they walk out like there's no.
Speaker 1: I said, hey, y'all, that lemon juice ain't working. You ain't lemonade. You hit that, you can cancer, you get cancer? Yeah, okay, because we ain't gonna be at your fueler.
Speaker 3: He had cancer. Yeah, you was Musty. They gonna carry that forever clo Ca. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I've had my good fair share of those type of run ends of you know, when it just I'm like, wow, I do have.
Speaker 2: To be careful of like where I go or what I do.
Speaker 4: Even just like you know, in public, you know, I don't want to the cameras rolling and now I'm on what would you do?
Speaker 2: And they watching me? You know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's very interesting. But I think by now it's well, it's only gonna get better.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, so you've went from social media to traditional media. What do you and that A lot of us desire that, but it doesn't happen for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: For a lot of reasons. What do you.
Speaker 1: Think was the difference for you? Like, what do you think was it grace of God? Was it something special you did? Like why do you think because Burbs is big?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my first role.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 1: You just got abs and hair and followers at the bird? God just give him everything.
Speaker 2: That's just what it is. It's God, It's the God is me. I mean it's literally that.
Speaker 4: I think once and I'm a firm believer of like when you take a leap of faith, like it works out, you know. I you know, journal, I write things down, I speak things into exist and I pray, but when you actually do it. And I moved to La it's almost a year, Like in a few days it'll be one year. And I was like fighting going back and forth, like no, I could keep traveling from Texas. I was here every single month, sometimes really staying here for the whole entire month to where people thought I lived here. So I was spending so much money. But I was like, Okay, I'm going to make this decision. I'm going to move. I moved and maybe a week and a half later, I just got that audition. Wow, and I got the part.
Speaker 3: I moved here thirteen years ago. Well look thirteen years ago, man, here we are, this is our heart. No, but.
Speaker 1: Was okay, So I'm curious, like, would you say you had two dreams, like you had a track dream and a kind Do you think having like, you know, your faith and work in multiple disciplines made it easier for you to like transition It was one like a soft place to land, or you were.
Speaker 3: Just like I was just doing both because I enjoyed both.
Speaker 4: It was more so that I was doing both because I enjoyed both. And even with track, I think in a perfect world, in my mind at the time, I would still be running and like, still be good. You know, no one wants to compete and not be good, you know, So in that way, I would be like, Okay, I'm a pro athlete, I'm doing really well, so like I'm a public figure, I can transition into acting.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I think I was thinking of that way because that was the only thing that was showing me the results. You know, I wasn't for a long time getting anything from social media or even like recognition. Yeah, so with sports, you know, I was thinking, Okay, that's gonna be my big break. And then I'll transition and then of course that was flipped and turned upside down. So yeah, I think now, you know, it's I still am so forced in it to be able to work in the sports space as well, though, because like with content, like I was just at the Winter Olympics.
Speaker 2: Wow, making content, you know. I yes, I was in Malais.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well you did NBC bring you out at the Olympics.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, the IOLLC the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Directly from the Olympics. Yes, the Olympics in partnership with Meta. Wow. So you went from Junior Olympics to Olympics. Yeah, for totally different reasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that was even I did the Summer Olympics before then, oh wow, to Paris and got to do you know what. I always dreamed of getting there, and I guess I didn't know how, but like I made it there.
Speaker 1: Was it serendipitous to be at the Olympics for a totally different reason than your track ability.
Speaker 4: I'm now working, I'm interviewing my friends. I'm still only a few years removed from the sports, so everyone running I most likely know them, really, so I'm interviewing them. I'm you know, it's it's easier to talk to them. And that was the really that was, and my parents came, you know, so it's like we knew we would make it right you did.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 1: The way you made it was different, but the fact that you made it is. And I ain't gonna hold you no disrespect to track athletes. This is probably the more lucrative way to go. Track athletes is not a lucrative thing directly from track. Absolutely, if you're the and gymnasts are the same, Like at that level, you almost have to be Usain Bolt, Simone Bios. You gotta be justin Gatlin. And it's really sponsorships Michael Johnson. It's like that level because it's not like a you know, especially in the US, like track athletes are way more famous in Europe than they are in the US, which a lot of them are.
Speaker 3: Like, man, why don't y'all come to our stuff? We'd be like what stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's like people only pay attention for four years, you know. So yeah, but it was very like full circle. And I don't know how long I'll still be. I mean, I would love to always be a spectator, Like I don't know how how long I'll try to, you know, do the going in that route because I've gotten plenty of opportunity to do that, and you know, some newer faces are coming into the that type of world. But it's it was really cool to get that opportunity when I thought like I was just so done with track.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I ask a lot of my artists from this question, if everything goes well the way you wanted to and your dreams, what does the next five years look like?
Speaker 2: For sure? I want to win an Emmy.
Speaker 3: Oh you okay, let's let's set some goal. Let's set some goals.
Speaker 2: Baby, we've been manifesting that.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So just really getting it more into the traditional space while still being able to control and like contribute to the digital you know online, you know, because you're never gonna I would love to still create my own things too. But first I was in my first you know TV show obviously you know, next time, bigger part that would be great, And be in my first feature film leading roles, you know, just just acting more and getting to share stories and you know, even creating my own stories. So yeah, I think the biggest thing is just to continue breaking into the acting world and being seen more than just an influencer.
Speaker 3: Right, talker, do you consider that a negative?
Speaker 4: I influencer? Okay, you know, I think I refer to myself more. Well, now I say I'm an actor.
Speaker 3: Do you know exactly? Please? But you are an actor?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if you booked the Bird, you can call yourself an actor and it's not no hyperboles.
Speaker 3: And you didn't get that role.
Speaker 1: Let the record reflect, they not hire you just because you have a lot of follow a lot of people audition with a lot of followers. You still got to be able to do the acting part right to get that, especially the show of that magnitude.
Speaker 4: Influencer though, like you know, because because it's just weird when if I if I don't really refer to myself, was that but if a friend like, oh he's an influencer, the person's like, well, what do you influence?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? And then I got to get into it.
Speaker 3: And you know what we mean? Yeah, come on, So.
Speaker 4: And then I don't like TikToker, you know, because it's like I do way more than that. And sometimes people say that and they're like they follow me on Instagram. It's like I think that's just what you say. If it's a short form content creator. Absolutely, he's a TikToker, so, you know, being I don't want to say respected, I mean yes, but just taking more seriously in that realm of entertainment.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, taking a quick commercial break. We'll be right back. Was acting.
Speaker 1: When you were making those videos? Was it always a means to in to be like a traditional actor?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Really, yes, yeah, I mean I was making skits I was doing I was on vine you know that then, Yeah, doing just I mean you had six seconds to make something funny or make a skit or something. So it was always the end goal, even from being in theater in school. But I was really even with the stuff that I do now, a lot of it started because I was doing more so like Disney Channel nostalgic parodies, and I was really going in a way of like, this is what I watched growing up. I wanted to see myself in it or people that look like me if it wasn't, and this is my way of putting myself in it. Yeah, that's my way of like showing what it would be like to if I were in something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting I'm very similar to you, especially athletic part and Junior Olympics and all those type of things, being aware of what they are, not necessarily being invited to them. What I found so crazy is like I always wanted to work with like Will Smith Martin, and when I was a kid, the only way you could have done that is to be in a movie or TV show with them, right, But now, because of what we do, you can be hired to work with them to promote a thing and spend as much time with them as you would if you did work, except now it's the movie company hiring you. Like, is it ever surreal the things that you get to do because of what you've created? When you're like, I can't believe I'm in this moment because of how funny I am or how creative I am.
Speaker 4: I mean that I literally just did that with Scary Movie. I was on set for almost two months because the studio wanted me to come out and make content, and this was another you know, I think why I am the way I am or the things that I get. You know, they only had me there for four days. These super serious well they're super hilarious, but when they're locked in.
Speaker 2: They're serious.
Speaker 4: It's like Marlon WANs, Regina Hall on Affairs, all of them. They're locked in. They don't you know, even in those three or four days, that's still not enough time to really get to know them and say, hey, let's make this video real quick.
Speaker 3: Hey sure, they.
Speaker 4: Don't have the time. So when it was time for me to get on that return flight, I was like, I'm going to stay. I'll pay for my hotel, I'll do this. Really, I will stay because I got close in that very short amount of time with the actual people that were working on the movie, like the crew and people helping out production, and they really took me under their wing and I just stayed out there and then like as long as I stayed, then I was able to get the type of content that I needed and like that you'll see. But hanging out with those incredible cast members that I looked up to and still do with the franchise, that's my favorite franchise ever. You know, it was just super surreal and I it came at the perfect time.
Speaker 1: How do you you mentioned a couple of times how you invested in your career. How did you decide like, Okay, I'm making x amount of money, but I need to put this much back into my career, whether it's flying to LA, putting myself up, extending a scary movie trip like this, is this just like your gut?
Speaker 3: Like how do you decide?
Speaker 1: Because a lot of the times people don't do that or they don't see the value in doing that. I'm very much like that, Like this money ain't even real until I can invest in to do X, Y and z. How do you decide when it's time to do this and when it's time to be like, Okay, I'm buy these hearings.
Speaker 2: And we've shouted out my dad a few times. Let's shout out my mom.
Speaker 3: Let's shout out your mom.
Speaker 2: Shout out to my mom.
Speaker 4: Rock yes, because she's the one that taught me to like be frugal or like not need to spend my money. Really, So I was racking up my money from already in college, like having that scholarship, I wasn't really doing anything. We had a meal plan, you know, It's like I don't need to spend money on food all the time. So I was really saving my money since college. So then when I started making my YouTube checks or whatever, when I wasn't in college or doing anything to make money besides social media. That was just constantly getting saved. And then I would spend it if I need to go on a trip or something. But I've never been like the type to spend a lot of money if it wasn't for something that I knew that I needed. And my mom really, you know, she's I just remember growing up. You know, I'd be like, can we have spaghetti and like Texas toast, like you know, the garlic bread. She'd be like, here's some bread, just put some like garlic powder on it, the same.
Speaker 1: I know, you know this, it's just regular garlic is not their.
Speaker 4: Guard and you know it worked. I ate it, and you know eventually I would like even like tartar sauce. She's like, you can make tartar sauce.
Speaker 3: Get fresh deal.
Speaker 4: Yes, So those are silly examples, but like in general, that's just how I've always been. So when it comes time to do something like that, it's like I didn't. You know, I really only when I make purchases, it's it's for those big reasons, you know, still to.
Speaker 3: This day, for sure, Yeah, do you think you'll be like this forever?
Speaker 2: I sure hope.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, if you living in La coming.
Speaker 1: From Texas, you have to because them price is different gas today seven dollars. I walked here. I I really should have walked. Man, this is so great. Man, I followed you for a long time. But I there's no way to glean this information from from videos, you know what I'm saying. Like, it's so I feel like you're such a dynamic short form creator. But sometimes you, you and Jonathan Bino have mastered. You don't even have to talk in some videos. You just be like, yes, you master and that you know they say sixty seventy percent. I don't know the number. I'm just gonna throw a number out there. People don't watch videos would sound anyway. So you you really can, you know, deliver on that, And I think I honor your commitment to the craft and your execution. Like I think a lot of times people when they use influencer or TikToker derogatorily, they're really trying to downplay the work it takes. But people who are this successful at that much are experts at this craft, and it is a craft. Like I had to I'm really pretty good at the Internet. But TikTok. I felt like I was learning the internet all over. Everything I knew from YouTube vine, all those rules did not apply. TikTok was a huge, brand new way of creating content that you had to learn how to do that. I feel like I could follow people like you and be like, Okay, I'm just copy him, which I did, and I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not even gonna apologize for it. I love it.
Speaker 1: I ain't still your video word for word. Them concepts are open to anyone exactly they are. But I think you know the same way Russell Crowe studies acting, you study how to be good at this. It's more than just being creative. You got to understand the mechanics of that. So I honor that. I think, is there anything you want to leave with people before we let you go where they can find you? What you're working on, how to get abs anything?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Two things.
Speaker 4: One, I'm very happy to be here. You know I love what you do as well. My vocal stem was Noom dot clam. If you know you know.
Speaker 1: All right, start building better habits for healthier and long term results. Sign up for your trial today at Noom dot Class Noom dot Climb sign all right, start building better helping its okay, start building better habits for healthier long term results. Sign up for your trial at noom dot slash.
Speaker 3: Hold on start start building better habits. Hold on is this life? It's life?
Speaker 1: Okay, Start building better habits for a healthier long term results.
Speaker 3: Sign up for your trial at noom dot com, slash TBTV.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's n O o M dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Tvtv tv t that was the app.
Speaker 1: If people haven't seen that boy that that ad was tear me apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I appreciate it, you know. But you can find me on Instagram at CB three, YouTube and TikTok at the only CB three.
Speaker 2: That's because CB three wasn't available.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know whatever.
Speaker 4: And my most recent short film, Thanks for Listening, is on YouTube and you can watch me in Season one of The Burbs, episode six.
Speaker 1: There we go, Lady and gentlemen, Chalk's blocking the third. Thank you for watching O my best moment. Please follow him. He will brighten your day. Uh, it'll be worth your finger press. Subscribe to him. He's gonna bring your day. You're gonna see him doing many more things. I mean Chemo says, been not my Best Moment. We'll see you next time. This has been a Unanimous Media original. Not My Best Moment was produced by iHeart Podcasts and Unanimous Media. It was hosted by me Kevin Fredericks, Executive produced by Stephen Curry, Eric Hayden and Charlotte Sumter Vijet Co executive producer Kelenna Maria Cutney. The executive producers of the iHeart Podcasts are Sean Titne and Jason English. This series was produced by Peter Calter and Jabari Davis. Co producer Kurt Redmond. A special thanks to Stephen Curry and Will Pearson. Not My Best Moment as a production of Unanimous Media and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.