Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: Back to throw to a looking whips about a wide Dolphin touchdown?
Speaker 2: Tyreck call uncrelievable. Just move fire for a second time. Don knew where he was going right away.
Speaker 3: I want to hit us out there, man, I'm wanna help you soon.
Speaker 2: Stump on your man wagon.
Speaker 3: Wattle, Wattle to.
Speaker 2: A shot touch back to throw looking stuffs.
Speaker 3: Up fires touchdown.
Speaker 2: It's waddle his six touchdown, Parado.
Speaker 4: I'm this ki.
Speaker 2: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 3: Now we check your pulse if you're not.
Speaker 2: What is up? Dolphins? And welcome to the Drive Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going? Everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, the Great Ted Winn joins us to break down Dolphins raiders from hard Rock Stadium on Sunday at one o'clock plus. We'll hear from the assistant coaches, We'll pick the week eleven games, and a whole lot more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Hey, you know how we start. Let's go ahead and get to my guest today. Joining me today on the Draft Time podcast is the great Ted Win, a staff writer at The Athletic, but to me, he's more of a modern day doctor Z. Go find his analysis both at the Athletic but also on Twitter at FB Underscore film Analysis. I know you now that handle back in like twenty eleven, right, Ted?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: Actually I was originally Raiders analysis, but I since moved on to become an NFL staff writer, so I couldn't stay with that handle anymore.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate the.
Speaker 4: Callback that doctor Z that he was my favorite football writer growing up.
Speaker 2: Oh he was the best man, Like, just the storytelling that paired with actual football analysis I think is probably still unrivaled to this day. So yeah, that's high praise, and that was intentional for each Ted. I love your work, made you do good stuff. So you kind of mentioned something there that I'm curious about because I take, you know, a great liking to the league in general, obviously my job as Miami Dolphins, but I've always been curious about, you know, someone that covers the league from that standpoint. But you obviously, have you know a little bit more of a I guess centered focus on the Raiders because you've just known them for so long. I'm curious how you balance those two things in terms of covering the league but also just having such a you know, in depth insight to the Raiders.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense? Yeah, I mean, you know, I covered them for a long time. I've been you know, watching them my whole life, and but I still I still remain pretty objective. If anything, I'm more harder on the Raiders than I have other teams. But you know, I'm still doing a podcast about the Raiders with the Athletics, so I still have have to have a little bit I wouldn't say I focused more on them, but on Sunday, you know, Yeah, that's definitely one of the games that are in my rotation because I have to do the podcast and know what's going on with them. But I mean, you know, I tried to watch every rewatch every game, and I don't think it's too difficult to you know, focus on a league but still have a little bit a little bit more focused on the Raiders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense that there was I was doing a quarterback website before I got to the Dolphins and was also doing my Dolphins podcast that was before here, and I always found one side pulled me a little bit away from the other, and it was I enjoyed it, but there was definitely something I had to figure out in terms of how to make that, you know, more sustainable on both sides. But you do a great job with it. Enough about all that stuff here, let's go ahead and start with Dolphins and Raiders Sunday here at hard Rock Stadium. And I always start my podcast with the cross town or I guess the oppositions reporter, analyst, you know, beat writer with the quarterback position. But I think it's time today to deviate from that plan. And maybe this is too much of a blanket question, but I trust you over anyone, to provide some insight here. What's been the biggest change going from Josh McDaniels in a three and five start to now coach Pierce and being two to zero under him. What's the biggest change there from that that coaching change.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it sounds cheesy and cliche, but it's just culture, you know. I think with Josh McDaniels, clearly everyone felt like there was a dark cloud hanging over the facility. They couldn't have fun, they couldn't be themselves, you know, every day it was just about getting criticized and not being able to express yourself and just you know working and quote quote the Patriots away. But now with the Antonio Pierce and now with Josh McDaniel's gone. I mean, it was almost comical some of the quotes that some of the things that were coming out after Josh McDaniels was fired. I mean, you know, guys were like having impromptu wrestling matches in the locker room. You know, they put a basketball, little mini basketball hoop into the locker room. You know, I haven't seen DeVante's Adam smile in like months, and then he's in a locker room, you know, laughing it up with his guys, dancing and all these things. So it was just a cultural shift, and I think players are just at a much better place mentally, and that's the biggest difference.
Speaker 2: And winning certainly provides that, you know, culture boosts as well. The cigars have become quite a popular postgame habit for those guys after those last two victories there, And yeah, it's interesting in my podcast, preview in the game earlier in the week and talking about how this is a roster that kind of was assembled by you know, now at this point three different regimes in terms of Gruden Mayok to McDaniels and now in the post McDaniels era. So it's tough to cobble together a roster like that, but it sounds like or seems like they've found a way to make it work in the Antonio Pierce era. Here, let's go ahead and get to the quarterback position. That's a big spot they made a change at this year after again a big contract for Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason. What have you seen from Aiden o'c and his two starts after some spot duty earlier in the season.
Speaker 3: I think he one, he's extremely accurate.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the first thing that jumps out is just how well he's able to place the ball exactly where he wants to. And that's two different skills, accuracy and ball placement. Accuracy is the ability to get the ball where you want, and ball placement is knowing where the ball needs to be relative to you know where the defenders are in the route. For example, you know if you're throwing a fade, You're not always going to put it right in front of the guy. If your receivers well covered, then you want to throw it back shoulder.
Speaker 3: So that's example ball placement.
Speaker 4: I feel like Ada O'Connell has a you know, he's very accurate and he's a strong sense of ball placement. And you saw that on his lone touchdown pass to Michael Mayer against Jets, where he was covered and he put it in only spot where Mayor.
Speaker 3: Could get it and it ended up being a touchdown.
Speaker 4: And that's another thing that separates O'Connell and garoppolo is O'Connell's giving his guys a chance. You know, he's taking chances, and he's a little bit more aggressive than Garoppolo. And I think that's one of the major reasons why he decided to make a change, just because they just needed a little bit more aggression and some more deep ball ability from their quarterback.
Speaker 2: He played quite a bit of snaps in college, right O'Connell.
Speaker 3: He did. He played a lot of snaps.
Speaker 4: I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but he played a tons of snaps. He's very seasoned and you know, one of the first things that people noticed about him in training camp was just how well he handled the operation as far as play calls, and you know, the Patriot system which that are still running now, can't get pretty complicated at the line of scrimmage because the quarterbacks have so many responsibility, but O'Connell is able to handle that very smoothly, and it was one of the things that just got people talking a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what I was going for there, because it seems like maybe the ball comes out a little bit harder, or maybe just the decision making happens a little bit faster, because it seemed like when garoppolos and that there was so many sets and O'Connor's taking his share of sacks as well, But just in terms of watching the tape, it seems like things happen a little bit faster with him under center there for the for the Las Vegas Raiders, and you mentioned that the touchdown pass that Michael Mayer scored in the game against the Jets on in the night, which, by the way, I think all Dolphins fans were huge Raider fans that night. We always love seeing our division rival go down on in prime time. So that was a tip of the cap to the Raiders there. But you know, you mentioned Mayor, I mentioned him as well.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: This offense, like it features a lot of weapons. I think that gets overlooked across the league a lot from this, you know, non Raiders perspective. But what have you seen in terms of how you know this offense is operating at its best when they have Devonte Adams and Jacoby Myers and Josh Jacobs and Michael Mayer. That's a that's a really good list of eligibles. What does this offense do that makes that group function at its finest?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I would argue that, you know, we haven't seen them really function at their finance yet. I mean, they had a long streak where they couldn't even score twenty points and they couldn't score twenty points against the Jets this week. But I thought it was a pretty solid offensive performance considering the Jets might have the best defense in an NFL. But I think they're still trying to figure out how to best utilize everyone.
Speaker 3: DeVante Adams.
Speaker 4: Obviously, there's getting a lot of double teams, a lot of attention, but that doesn't mean you could.
Speaker 3: Just ignore your number one target.
Speaker 4: And they're kind of figuring out different ways of getting him the ball, but there's just too many stretches where he disappears for too long, and he's just too good of a player not to try to figure out a way to get him the ball. And you know, one of the ways you can't get him the ball despite throwing it throwing to him deep. The only way to beat double coverage is going deep. I mean, you guys see that with Tyreek Hill all the time. You know, if he's getting doubled, you got to run past that second safety or that second bracket defender.
Speaker 3: You can't do it short.
Speaker 4: So that's that's another reason why O'Connell is an upgrade over Garoppolo is he you know, he has the arm and deep accuracy to be able to take advantage of some of those things, and hopefully we see more of that to Kobe Myers has been really good at taking advantage of one on one matchups away from Adams, and Mayer is kind of finding his role within the offense. You know, for rookie tight ends is always tough. Is a very tough position to learn it and come in and be productive in your first year, but we're seeing flashes of him making place here and there, and Hunter Renfro is kind of making his way back into the offense after kind of getting blackballed by Josh McDaniel.
Speaker 2: I was watching Jtoshullivan's last aid and O'Connell break down and he was saying, de number thirteen, guys knew I'm not familiar with thirteen's game. It's like, yeah, he was there before, catching a bunch of passes in the previous regime, but he kind of got with the doghouse recently, or I should say before recently with the coaching change now. So it's good to see Renfro going back again. One more question on the offense here, Ted, because you know Colton Miller didn't play in the game against the Jets on Sunday, and just looking at the raw numbers in the tape as well, he's clearly the best offensive lineman on that team. Do you think he plays in the game on Sunday? I know it's early in the way here. Do you think he plays And what's the impact of having him versus not having him for the Raiders offensive line.
Speaker 4: My guess is he will play. I mean and I'm you know, I I don't know. I haven't been at practices or I haven't talked to my podcast hosts who are on the beat every day. But just based on his reputation and what he's done in the past as far as playing hurt and coming you know, getting playing so many games and just being tough, you know, I think he's going to make his best effort to I think he was closed last week but just couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: So my guess is he does play.
Speaker 4: This offensive line is a you know, it's not a bad pass blocking unit, but they haven't They're not a very physical group as far as running the ball. The physicality comes more comes more from Josh Jacobs and and his ability to just run through tackles and just lower his shoulder and get yard after contact. But so far this group just isn't really able to move people off the ball. But since Pierce has taken over, they've really made a commitment to running the ball and trying to wear out defenses and pop some runs like they did against Jets, where you know, they weren't very efficient throughout the day, but later in the game they popped a few critical runs.
Speaker 2: You think that's a plan that can work against an offense that has as much explosiveness as the Miami Dolphins, because, like obviously the Jets, they want to play the game the same way, right, they want to put you in the mud and make it, you know, a sixteen to twenty ugly kind of defensive game. Do you think that can translate here against an offense that typically scores in the thirties.
Speaker 4: No, I think you have to be a lot more aggressive. I mean, unless you're getting stops, which I think will be extremely difficult against the Dolphins, and you want to shorten a game, but it's you know, it's gonna be hard getting stops against the Dolphins, and I think you have to be more aggressive and use Josh Jacobs in a different way, you know, maybe find some ways to get them some screens or use him as the receiver and have him punished the defense that way. But just trying to run up the middle against the Dolphins run defense, that I think is improving. I thought they had a pretty good game against the Chiefs. I don't think that's gonna be a winning business model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's after that first game or so, they kind of had some leaks against the Chargers, but it's been a lot better since then, so trending up in that direction. I think the new scheme is kind of starting to stitch. It seems together a little bit here under Vic Fangio, Ted Winn here from the Athletic my guest breaking down Dolphins and Raiders on Sunday from hard Rock Stadium. We talked about the offense. Go ahead and go to the other side of the football here, and you'd be crazy to start anywhere else. Besides one of the best damn players in the entire league. You know, Crosby gets so much attention in terms of doubles and chips, just guys getting in his way. Yet here he is on the cusp of another double digit sack season nine and a half. It's crazy how productive he is. Like, I guess my question is simple, how does he do it? Because when I watched him on tape, I see, you know a lot of power people, movers that you know, really operate Patrick Graham's game heavy scheme to create these chances for Max, Like, is that what you see? Why is he so productive even though he gets as much attention as the Micah Parsons and the Miles Garretts of the World.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 4: He has, you know, freaky movement skills as far as burst and change his directions, and just so good with his hands. I mean, he's like, you know, if you just watch him and you watch how he uses his hands, he's like a judo master. You know, he's able to use blockers momentum against him, like he's he's just tossing, you know, three hundred pound lineman out the way, not with power, it's just you know, he just knows how to just move his body and get them to move one way and throw them in a different direction. And tight ends are just no match for him. But I think the one thing with him is she's just so relentless. And you know when you watch him at practice, you watch him in training camp, every single rep he's going one hundred and ten percent, and it shows up on game day. You know, he plays a one hundred percent of the snaps. He doesn't take any snaps off. And then you know, you saw late in the game against Late in every game, you know he's making plays in those on those last drives despite not taking a break. So he's relentless. He works extremely hard every single day. You know, his stamina, he might be the best conditioned defensive player in the league.
Speaker 2: Ninety eight percent snaps right, That's that's crazy, man. There's not many guys that can do that at that position. Like I always get hyped up when I see Christian Wilkins and Zach's either play on like eighty five percent, But man, ninety eight when you're you know, it's a full sprint. Every thirty seconds or so is is a lot, and he's he's impressive.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: It's fun to watch him play. Hopefully not too much against the Miami Dolphins. Let's go ahead and finish up here. Two more questions. That's one in the secondary, because you know, Brandon Faison's been down for a while. I can't imagine a meet Robertson plays after that scene on Sunday Night. Hopefully he's okay and doing better. Jack Jones just got there. How do you think this Raiders secondary will handle the Dolphins speed and the weapons they have on the perimeter with you know what relatively looks like a pretty inexperienced group right now, with you know, the aforementioned Jones and Jacorey and Bennett, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna be a problem. Nate Hobbs, I feel like is a very underrated nickel corner and he's gonna be good in slot. But as far as the outside corners go, you have Marcus Peters, who you know, Marcus Peters.
Speaker 3: Marcus Peters. He's not the fastest corner.
Speaker 4: He's not great as a pure coverage guy, but he is very intelligent. He knows how to bate quarterbacks into uh you know, into batted passes and interceptions. But he just doesn't have that speed to hang with the fast receivers. And he's gonna be going against two of the fastest in Blattle and Hill. And on the other side you have Jacorey and Bennett who will probably be filling in for a Meek Robertson. And Bennett his an elite athlete, but you know, he has a long way to go as far as holding in on his technique and reads and things like that. Uh So, you know, the outside corner is gonna be a problem, and I think they're going to have to keep two safety deep a lot in this game, if not the entire game. The safeties for the Raiders have been playing pretty well. Epps from the Eagles and Trayvon Morig, who was the second round pick a few years ago, is having a career type of year. But it's gonna be a problem that they can't help in the run because the Raiders front has been pretty soft against the run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and with Devon a chanback, maybe the Dolphins can get a little bit more of their you know, balance to have an offense, you know, prior to his injury, with how they were cooking those few games that he was up and going ted. Your demeanor and kind of the answers of the questions sort of answered this final question for me already, But I'm gonna pose it because I do every single week when I interview a reporter analyst from the other sideline. The Raiders win this game if and then you fill in the blank.
Speaker 3: The Raiders win this game if Max Crosby sex two of five times and it's completely unblockable and is able to get to the quarterback in less than two point five seconds, consist on a consistent basis, and they somehow find a way to run for over one hundred and fifty yards.
Speaker 2: That's to order to order. Yeah, dead win. The athletic man. We always learned something talking to you. I appreciate your time, and I want to promote some of your work here, so I have I'm very long winded with these. I kind of followed Mike McDaniel's lead on this. Three ways I want to pose this number. One, tell us the name of your podcast. I didn't check the name of your Raiders podcast. Two, what is something Dolphins, Ceddrick you've worked on this year, because I know you're doing some film stuff and the Dolphins have to be in there, I imagine. And then three, what are you working on coming up that you're excited about?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So my Raiders podcast is called State of Nation and that's on Apple, Spotify, wherever you want to find your podcasts and.
Speaker 3: Be let it.
Speaker 4: I wrote an article last week actually about the Miami Dolphins and how they can kind of get over the hump and be these teams with winning records, which they have had trouble doing. You know. I talked about some of the things like just being able to get down to find the checkdowns a little bit quicker, and some improvements they can make in the run game. I talked about how I thought Vic Fangio's defense is starting to finally look like a Fangio defense.
Speaker 3: I thought they did some really good things against the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: Obviously, getting that defensive back group healthy and together is a huge deal.
Speaker 3: So yeah, check that out on the athletic.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, man, I appy sure time today. Ted enjoyed the game on Sunday, No problem, you too, and there he goes, Ted win. Really fun conversation there ahead of Sunday's game against the Raiders. Let's go ahead and take our first break right here. Come back on the other side. I want to talk a little bit about two a tongue of my Low's leadership. We'll also hear from the assistant coaches. That's all next to Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Second segment here on a Thursday edition of the Draft Time Podcast. Big game tonight between Baltimore and Cincinnati. Want the Bengals to win that game, give the Dolphins a chance to make some ground up in the race among the divisional leaders in terms of seeding for the AFC playoffs coming up here in just two months. Man, it's coming up fast.
Speaker 3: Quicker than that.
Speaker 2: Actually, what eight weeks away? Seven weeks away?
Speaker 3: Either way?
Speaker 2: I digress, but yeah, you want the Bengals to win that game. Time we'll pick the games here on the third segment, But I was playing with some scenarios on the ESPN Playoff Predictor, which is back up, by the way, a lot better than the knockoff versions I've found. I've been really into that since the Chiefs game, because one, I've been bored that we'd had a game last week, but also just kind of want to see what my potential expectations should be for how not just the Dolphins season can play out from here forward, but how other clubs can. And basically it comes down to this for me, is that Miami, I think, is in a good position to make a run at the one seed. And if you go look at ESPN's Football is it the FPI, the Football Power Index or maybe the analytics, I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but they have percentage odds for each team's chances of finishing in each potential seed in the conference, and Miami's playoff odds are like ninety nine percent, and a lot of that is because of where we stand with our upcoming schedule, where the Bills stand and their upcoming schedule, it's pretty much not I don't want to say a guarantee because that's not true, but in terms of the numbers and the analytics and the models, they believe it's a shoe win that the Dolphins win the AFC East and their number one seed potential is like nineteen percent, which is there's one of three teams that have any percentage hope of that one seed right now. The two seed was like twenty nine percent, and then the three seed was like fifteen percent. So basically, the Dolphins, according to thousands and thousands of simulations, should obtain one of the top three seeds. And you guys know, the one seed is the most important one because you get a week off, and if the Dolphins team can get a week off and then come back for a home game against the lowest remaining seed in the AFC, gosh, I like our chances at that point to qualify for the AFC Championship Game, or essentially the same thing with the two seed, where you would then host, you know, the highest remaining seed in the AFC if you win your two verse seven game. And I was just thinking about this, the possibility of maybe like Jacksonville getting the three seed. I'm trying to think about the best matchups for wildcard versus Divisional round weekend. Obviously, the one seed is the ideal thing because all of a sudden, you get one upset, you get one you know, Steelers team that picks off somebody they shouldn't have, and you're playing in the AFC Divisional round against like Kenny Pickett, right, that would be pretty nice. Not likely, but it's a possibility, And so just kind of playing around with that, Like there are different avenues where you could potentially see a scenario where Miami like faces you know, Cleveland with PJ. Wahs Dorian Thompson Robinson in the first round, and then based upon how things play out from there, maybe you wind up getting Houston or Jacksonville in that second round. Like there's a world I'm trying to say that exists where you kind of have an Eagles like schedule in last year's playoffs. There's a possibility of that happening long way down the road. Take care of business, win your football games, and put yourself in position. And I've talked about it for weeks now. Eleven and three was always the minimum going into Christmas Eve to me, and that's still where we're at right now. So just some interesting stuff there I thought was worth talking about. It's the rest of these next eight weeks are gonna be so fun because you're gonna have Dolphins games to keep track of. But there's so many critical AFC matchups among the teams who exist near the top of the standings currently, and that should be there going forward, you know, into Thanksgiving, it into December and into January, and a lot of those games are in primetime too, so it should be a lot of fun for us to, you know, as Dolphins fans and get a chance to really, you know, immerse ourselves in the National Football if you're like me, like I love watching NFL games and football games, but it's so much better when the Dolphins are good and you have a vested interest in games. The Buffalo Denver game, I was living and dine with that game. Man, that was like heart rate, like standing up. That was fun. It was fun to watch that. I really enjoyed watching a team that we needed to lose lose that game. And so just I think that's how the next eight weeks can go for Dolphins fans like enjoy it, embrace it and really try to soak it in this year. Let's talk a little bit here about two a tongue of by Low's leadership, because Barry Jackson posted a great story on the Miami Herald earlier today. I think it was maybe it was on Wednesday night, I'm not sure, but it goes back to the snap in Germany, right, the failed snap, and to a you know, the minute something. The minute he takes to the podium for a press conference after a game, he always assigns the blame of whatever the biggest fault of the game was to himself, like a leader would, right. And then Connor Williams came out and mentioned that the snap was obviously bad. It's my fault, right, like I that was a bad snap. You can tell clearly off of his frame. And so Barry went around and asked some folks in the locker room about why that is important for the quarterback to do that. And so Austin Jackson, who was drafted to the same year as Tua, you know, seventeen or No. Thirteen picks after Tua was, was asked about it and Jackson said this, Tua has never once pointed the finger at anyone he's very respectful. And then Duke Riley popped up and had this to say. I know one thing. He will never say anything as anyone's fault. It's always his fault. Everything is always uplifting with Tua, uplifting with positivity and always reflecting how much he needs to improve. He's a great person to have on your team. Anyone would do anything for Tua. Everyone loves him. He spends his time with everyone on the team. Everyone on the team has been to his house. I love the guy, his family, everything about him. He's someone you want your kids to be Like, I mean, oh, man, like we debate this guy. I don't you guys know how I feel about the quarterback. There's debates about this guy that like what are we doing? Man? Like the kind of guy that you want your daughter to marry, right, And he's like an MVP candidate, and he has the Dolphins in the best position. Like I keep seeing these arguments about like, well, I don't know they beat the Jets, or oh, they're five and five. It's like, use your eyes, Just use your damn eyes and tell me the Dolphins are not superior to ninety percent of the teams in the NFL right now, like vastly superior, just based on the eye test. Your quarterback is the primary reason for that. Okay, that's all it comes down to. Your quarterback is awesome. He's twenty five years old. He's probably gonna get a massive extension here any day now. Not any day now, but in the you know, coming future. He's that character, He's that kind of leader. I mean, I just don't get it. Maybe I don't know. I know, it's like confirming priors and stuff, but like, what are we doing like this? We've been waiting for thirty years for this guy. That's that's the point. Let's pivot off that and hear from the assistant and I want to get a little bit of crowdsourcing production here on the podcast. I want to know what you guys think about the sound bites on the show. Do you like hearing more of coach and players and the assistants? Do you want to hear less? Is it right on par with what you want to hear? Just let me know in the comments. I'm gonna do three sound bites here highlights, one each from Vic Fangio, Frank Smith, and Butch Barry. Let's go ahead and start here with Butch Berry, who had the whole room laughing when he was talking a little bit about offensive line play and the importance in his belief of playing multiple sports to get those different body movements down. So I ask coach, because that's like right up my alley. I love hearing about that. And if my kids want to get into sports when they get old enough, I'm gonna tell them your best bet forward is to play as many sports as possible because those natural movements that come with different sports will benefit you the most in the long run. So I ask coach, what sport do you think lends itself the most carryover for offensive line footwork. He gave us this gem.
Speaker 1: People have always said wrestling because of the balance. I think you could take application. I think you can take application from both. Then there's a lot of people say pass protection and how you play defensive basketball would have application in terms of how you're trying to move your feet, leverage to the hoop and the guy with the ball because that's pass protection. So there's a lot of things you can take from every sport. In hockey, I know the movement would be different, but understanding how to leverage and have spatial awareness. Like, so every sport there's application you can take and move it to offensive line or move to any sport. Really, I mean started to learning how to try to play tennis. Get my picked by my wife, but you know, but anyways, good.
Speaker 2: Job and my man JT there giving us clean audio to make it a kid friendly show. Here on the Draft Time podcast, Let's go next to coach Frank Smith, who was asked about the challenges of the looks you get from a defense on a given Sunday. I always love this stuff because you spend the whole week game playing for what you expect you might get, and then if somebody throws a curveball that you have prepared for, which that's you know, part of the deal of coaching, right, But how you adjust the stuff that you didn't see on tape, it's so fascinating to me. So here's coach talking about the challenges of what you expect to see on tape versus the unknown that teams could throw at you any given week.
Speaker 5: Each week it kind of goes there's it's along those lines, I mean, each week it's kind of you assess your opponent, yourselves, where you're at, you know, your anticipated guys who can be available for the game. What's the defense trend to do?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: How can we, you know, use our matchup guys to attack the defense, you know, for the width of it, in the length of the field. So I think that each week the checklist is, you know, as we're talking about what we're trying to hit, maybe one works in front of the other others there, but ultimately it's kind of the same stuff we've been talking about as far as how a lot of times if you don't expand the field allows them to compress. And the ability to not compress to compress us allows us to create space in the defense. And I think ultimately that's what offense is trying to do and attack the space.
Speaker 2: And then I want to finish up here to promote some of my own work that we have coming up for you guys, The Too a Tongue of I Low a video breakdown we did about a month and a half ago, did over twenty thousand views. Very excited about that number. We have a feature coming up on Bradley Chubb talking about his work in the run game and how he creates chances for his teammates, both as a pass Rusher and in the run game. So keep an eye out on YouTube for that. I'll promote the hell out of that episode. But I want to go ahead and play Vic Fangio's audio here talking about the impact of Phillips and Chubb and when you know it, you love when this happens, confirming my previous hypothesis on Bradley Chubb.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in Jalen's case, he's just you know, he missed those four games and took him a game or two to get his timing back, his feel back, and you know, and I think he's playing really good now. And I think Bradley's played good the entire season. You know, everybody gets caught up in numbers at times, and he didn't have X amount of sacks early on, but he's had some here lately. But I think he's been playing good all year. It's good to see for him, happy for him.
Speaker 4: You know, he had.
Speaker 6: A tough stretching there endeaver to three years we were together. He was hurt a lot and never could get into a groove. And now I think everybody's seeing the player that he can be.
Speaker 2: One more break and then segment number three the Week eleven NFL Picks. That's next Drive Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Oh yeah, segment three on a Thursday. You know what time that means. It is time to pick the games for week number eleven in the National Football League. And I'm gonna be honest with you guys. I went ten and six last week, and I'm glad that I went ten six because the two losses that really changed the win loss total for your boy came on Sunday Night and Monday Night football, with the Jets and Bills both falling by the wayside. So we go ten and six. We fall to one oh four and forty eight on the season, which is a little bit under sixty nine percent nights, So gotta get that back up on the positive side of seventy. Let's go ahead and pick the games this week and cue the music right here. Starting tonight in Baltimore, I believe it is want the Bengals to win, taking the Ravens even though they're gonna be down. It looks like Ronnie Stanley Marlon Humphrey could be down as well, and they're missing somebody else to and I forget who it is, but either way, The Bengals also don't have T Higgins. Trey Hendrickson will play despite that nasty look injury he took on Sunday, but big game in the AFC North. I think these teams in this division eventually will campbellize themselves. I think that's why Miami finishes above the AFC North champion in the seeding at the end of the year, and CINCINNTI winning this game tonight would help go in that direction. The Browns, ah Man, I'm taking the Browns over the Steelers. I don't think they won games because of their offense and their quarterback wasn't that good. And I think that they can make a game plan for DTR to beat what I believe is still a very pet Steelers team. Dolphins over Raiders, you guys know about that, The Lions over the Bears, Jags over the Titans. Titans like they have rough road ahead, and I don't really believe in their offense right now, so scoring six and thirteen points of games just not going to do it for you. Give me Jacksonville and that one to bounce back. Give me the Chargers over the Packers. I was big on the Packers this offseason, but it just hasn't worked out that well. The offense looks really really mundane. Houston over Arizona. Want to take the Cardinals here. I think that Kyler Murray's gonna get the Cardinals out of the top three picks of the draft, which I depending how you look at it, I guess I don't know is a good thing or bad thing. But it's nice to have a good quarterback back in the league because we don't have enough of those right now. Give me Dallas over Carolina, Washington over the Giants. I'm not gonna pick the Giants of the rest of the year. The Panthers maybe not either. We'll see the Niners over the Bucks, Buffalo over the Jets, and look like this is a game where the Bills are like vastly superior, but they always This is like the old Patriots and Dolphins rivalry. Like the Jets are never good, but they always beat the top team in the division.
Speaker 1: Somehow.
Speaker 2: They already got the win at home. I don't make it this week in Orchard Park. I think Buffalo bounces back in a big way this week over the Jets. Give me the Rams over the Seahawks. For the season, sweep with Matthew Stafford coming back. I like Seattle, but they play a lot of bad football, man, so I think this is the week where they kind of the Rams always get them, so they'll get them again. Here for a sweep the Vikings over the Broncos on Sunday Night football, and then a big, big, big game on Monday Night for Dolphins fans in the league in general, Eagles over the Chiefs, which would be really nice for that one seed pursuit to get back in place. So those are the week eleven picks. That is the Thursday podcast. We'll come back tomorrow and have the great Trent Green with us here. We'll also do some audio for you guys, so I think coach McDaniel. We have Kyle Crabs in the podcast as well, some fun stuff on tomorrow show. In the meantime, that's gonna be my time. You all. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcast from. Go ahead and leave us a rating and leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at Winkfeld NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tank with my guy Seth and Juice check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities and Dolphins Today and so much more and last button, not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, fins Up, go on camera and Daddy just go