Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcasts, one of them productions iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, I Heart Podcast joined by my Intrepid crew.
Speaker 4: For Pop Culture.
Speaker 1: Season seven, episode seventeen, Gilmore Girls Only Is Suzanne French, Tara sued Jackie r in the Shadows, Amy Sugarman, Danielle rom I got a shout out, Jackie.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 5: I Heeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: App Suzanne, why don't you?
Speaker 1: Why don't you lead off?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 6: Rory is trying on blazers with Loral I for her interview, and she says, I don't know if cute is what I'm going for when I'm going on an interview for a newspaper. But Lorala says worked for Brenda Starr, worked for Lois Lane. Brenda Starr is a reporter in the comic strip Brenda Star Reporter, created in nineteen forty by Dale Messick for the Chicago Tribune Syndicate. Lois Lane is a journalist and the primary love interest of Superman and his alter ego Clark Kent in the DC comic books.
Speaker 5: Did you know?
Speaker 6: Lois Lane was created by writer Jerry Siegel, who based Lois's physical appearance on Joanne Carter and her name on Lola Lane, and actress from the nineteen twenty forties.
Speaker 3: I didn't know any of that, but I do know that Superman Christopher Reeve with that's my favorite Superman. I'm just sorry, Tom Welling, but that's my favorite Superman.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but yeah, that's the original movie.
Speaker 4: He was great.
Speaker 1: I mean well from when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Right, there was that other guy before him on TV, but.
Speaker 1: Right, George Reeves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Margo Kidder was a great Lois.
Speaker 1: Lane, she really, Yes, it was a terrific one.
Speaker 5: You got me, who's got you? My favorite line?
Speaker 2: You got me?
Speaker 5: Who's got you?
Speaker 1: All?
Speaker 5: I've got you? Scott?
Speaker 4: I like?
Speaker 1: And the bad guys, Theselings are beginning to bull me. Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?
Speaker 5: From Superman too? Right?
Speaker 3: When those three, when the bad guys they break out of that glass Terrence trapped in, Yeah, they were trapped in that glass.
Speaker 4: That was cool glass.
Speaker 1: It was like so weird, that was cool?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Now, I don't want to do well. This says this is Jersey. Yeah, Now I'm gonna do my Jersey. This will be Jersey. Laurel is helping Emily with her paperwork. When Richard walks into the office, Laurel, I high Dad, nice threads having fun with Tony Soprano. Tony Soprano played James played by James Gandelfini, is the main character in the HBO series The Sopranos. Tony Soprano and the cast are most commonly seen wearing track suits. Did you know Tony Soprano said it to be based on Vincent Vinnie Ocean Palermo. Palermo was a former mobster who was the facto boss of the New Jersey de Cavocante crime family before becoming a government witness in nineteen ninety nine. And I can attest to the track suits because I grew up in southern New Jersey and there were a lot of pizza parlors and there were a lot of guys in tracksuits coming in and out of the back rooms.
Speaker 5: I love tracksuit but I've never seen sopranos. I never watched it. Maybe I should Amy take this one on.
Speaker 3: As Emily is driving Lorelin Roy out to North Carolina. She plays Oh What a Beautiful Morning? Oh What a Beautiful Morning is the opening song from the musical Oklahoma, which premiered on Broadway in nineteen forty three. The song has been recorded by a number of noteworthy artists, including Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Ray Charles. Hugh Jackman auditioned for X Men while playing Curly in Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: So wait that Oh what a beautiful mode? Why did I miss that in the episode? It was in the eight hundred drive.
Speaker 6: I think when she said you guys like show tunes, don't you, and she like puts the CD on to change the subject. I think that was when that was.
Speaker 5: What a Will Smith in this episode.
Speaker 2: All right, so Rory and Lorelei are getting settled in their hotel room. Laura says, all right, it looks like our choices are Hitch and the lake House.
Speaker 5: The lake House, Oh is the call? Sorry? Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Hitch is a two thousand and five rom com starring Will Smith, Eva Mendez, Kevin James, and Amber Valletta. The film is about Hitch, a professional date doctor who makes a living teaching men how to woo women. The lake House the two thousand and six films, starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. The movie is about narc living in two thousand and four and a doctor living in two thousand and six, who meet via letters left in the mailbox of a lake house where they both lived in separate points in time.
Speaker 5: Confusing premise, Yeah, but I'm kind of a cool movie. It's worth watching. Or do that thing on TikTok where they re recap it in like one minute exactly.
Speaker 2: This film was also referenced by Liz when she was describing Luke his relationship with Lorelei in episode two of this season, and did you know the actual house in the lake house did not exist and was built for the movie?
Speaker 5: Then dismantled.
Speaker 6: This was actually a funny line. This was on my list of favorite lines. Emily washes it up in the hotel before heading to the resort, and she says, I can't very well arrive at a luxurious resort smelling of bad shellfish and covered with the grime of the road, and Lorlai says the road.
Speaker 5: Who are you?
Speaker 6: Willie Nelson. Willie Nelson is a ninety one year old country legend who is one of the main figures of the outlaw country subgenre. He has performed over twenty seven hundred concerts and is still touring this year. Did you know? In nineteen ninety William Nelson amassed millions in tax debt. He recorded an album called The Irs Tapes Who Will Buy My Memories? To help pay it off. The album flew off the shelves, successfully settling the debt with the Irs.
Speaker 5: Wait, that's funny.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Zach attempts to bond with Luke as they get the diner ready for opening.
Speaker 5: Kind of music you into? I don't really listen to much music none.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I'm driving around in my truck, I'll, you know, maybe put on an OLDI station like some. Motown Motown is a record label founded by Barry Gordy Junior and a music genre that originated in Detroit, Michigan in the fifties. Motown music is a style of rhythm and blues that's often in flay pop I loove motown. The label was responsible for launching some of the biggest names in music, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, The Temptations, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Marvin Gay, The Jackson five and more. In nineteen sixty six, Berry Gordy refused to sign The Jackson five because he didn't want to work with any more children. It was Gladys Knight who persuaded him to change his mind. A year later, I did not know that.
Speaker 6: Wow, pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Zach realizes he forgot to bring Luke his own mixtape and describes what's on it, Zach, well, you know, the new stuff sounds classic rock. My Morning Jacket, who are like Neil Young reborn if Neil would have you know, died Louke Uh huh, Zach Wolfe Mother definitely channeling Zeppelin modern, but not so much that it would freak out somebody of your taste. My Morning Jacket is an alternative indie band from Kentucky. Neil Young is a rock icon who was often backed by his band Crazy Horse, and was part time member of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. He recently sold fifty percent of his music rights for a reported one hundred and fifty million dollars. It seems very low. Wolf Mother is a wolf Mother is an Australian hard rock band formed in two thousand and four and is centered around vocalist and guitarist Andrew Stockdale. Led Zeppelin was an English rock band formed in London in nineteen sixty eight by Jimmy Page, who was a studio musician in twenty six or twenty seven years old at the time, and that is often considered. They are often considered the greatest rock band of all time. Did you know Neil Young contracted polio when he was five years old and nearly died?
Speaker 3: Way Hell, Borlai tells Emily it's time to go so the bride and groom can celebrate their wedding night.
Speaker 5: This was actually that, this was funny.
Speaker 3: Well, she's right, the bride and groom have wild plans to take off all their clothes and jump into their pajamas and listen to A Prairie Home Companion.
Speaker 5: Her come back to that was actually really funny.
Speaker 3: A Prairie Home Companion was a weekly radio show created and hosted by Big Garrison Keeler that aired from nineteen seventy four to twenty sixteen. We have actually referenced Garrison Keeler and A Prairie Home Companion before, when Lucy was talking about her boring professor in episode ten, of this season. Did you Know A Prairie Home Companion is also a movie directed by Robert Altman and released in two thousand and six. The film stars Kevin Kleine, Meryl Streep, Lindsay Lohan, and Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 1: Bring Us Home, Jar, We'll bring it home.
Speaker 2: And it's a callback to what I said in the other episode. So Lorlaia Loure's Emily into the hotel room to watch a movie and Laurlai says, have you seen the Pursuit of Happiness? Emily says, is that the one with Will Smith? He's so attractive. So the Pursuit of Happiness is the two thousand and six films Tarrying Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith.
Speaker 5: The movie is.
Speaker 2: Based on Chris Gardner, played by Smith, who struggles for nearly one year being homeless, and to answer Emily's question, the title is intentionally miss belled as it also appre as it also appears as graffiti in a scene where Chris's son went to daycare, and did you know In the final scene of the movie, Will and Jaden Smith walked past the real Chris Gardner.
Speaker 5: That was a really good movie. Actually, I never saw that either I've got like a lot.
Speaker 2: Really it's pretty sad, but it's really good.
Speaker 1: M m all right, that's gonna wrap us up. Who's going to take us out today?
Speaker 3: Pop culture? Look, I don't want to be harsh, and I know we said it. It's not as good in season seven as it was before.
Speaker 2: Just a couple of good ones here and there, but it's not here and there.
Speaker 3: There's some nice, like sort of subtle mentions, but it's not There was sort of an art to it in the first six seasons there. Now they're just kind of shoving it in.
Speaker 5: But you know, what can you do? What can you do?
Speaker 3: We'll see how they do it in Buttonheads when we do button Heads, Turrett, you wrap us up, like, take.
Speaker 4: Us out, take us out?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, hold on, I forgot forgot the bullet points.
Speaker 1: From the heart, right, you just gotta let it.
Speaker 4: Fly, right.
Speaker 2: So that's the end of pop culture. Yeah, I just want to say stay safe for some reason.
Speaker 5: Stay safe everyone by w see you next week. That's the end of pop culture.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week when we recap season seven episode eighteen. Hey Bail Maze, and thank you to my intrepid crew. Scott Patterson, Sugarman's good friends. That's good and remember that we and I am all In stay safe everyone.
Speaker 4: Very nice game, everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com