Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain. Where what's that we hear? Double the we woos.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday, August vint and On today's show, actor Brendan Hunt aka Coach Beard joins us to celebrate the season four premiere Ted Lasso. We discussed the show's decision to focus on a women's club this season. Try to get him to reveal any celebrity cameos, Ask how the hell he found himself introducing the Bebes during the FIFA Men's World Cup halftime show, and discuss why the Beatles mean so much to him. Also a speed round of lesser known facts about Brendan's Lasso cast mates and Malala use off Size, got a theory about the show, plus showing off in a new home, Fouts, gets Outs and decoupling and then doubling up the double doubles. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today. Let's start with the WNBA, where the league's Cleveland based expansion team unveiled its name on Tuesday, the Cleveland Sirens. Per a press release, the team was quote named for Lake Eries, Power and Pull. The logo was unveiled at the same time, and it features a water inspired siren aka the mythological creature known for its alluring voice.
Speaker 1: Now, in some.
Speaker 2: Source material, a siren is actually part woman, part bird. In others, it's more of a mermaid and based on the logo and a really spectacular name intro video, looks like Cleveland is leaning heavy into the fishtail version. Now, it's worth noting that Cleveland won't be the first team to use the name Sirens. The PWHL's New York team also uses the name, though they've leaned more into the emergency vehicle side of things. Then there are also the Monterey Bay Sirens of the USLW. Friend of the show, Sabrina Merchant of The Athletic, asked Cleveland's President of Business Ops, Alison Howard, about sharing a name with a PWHL team, and while Howard Setter Group had a conversation about the overlap, they decided it wasn't a concern given that the teams are in different sports in different cities.
Speaker 1: I have to admit I don't love the name overlap, but I.
Speaker 2: Do love the spookiness of the imagery in Cleveland's rollout video. You've definitely heard me in our unrivaled team drafts, singing the praises of the Phantom BC logo and bemoaning the general lack of spookiness in sports. Well, it seems like the Cleveland Sirens might be here to serve my spooky sporty needs. So I do also have to assume a little Mermaid cross overnight for the kids is likely to be on the docket, Perhaps even a thingamabob Who's it and What's it?
Speaker 1: Giveaway?
Speaker 2: Anyway, More on that new franchise and the rollout to come more WNBA news. On Monday, the Dallas Wings announced they'll play their twenty twenty seven season at American Airline Center, home to the NHL's Dallas Stars and the mnba's Dallas Mavericks. Moving to a twenty thousand plus seat arena is a major upgrade for the Wings. They've played home games since twenty sixteen at College Park Center at UT Arlington, which seats just over sixty two hundred. More WNBA Over the last few days, we've seen a couple of players settle into their new team's POSTWNBA trade deadline. That includes Kelsey Plumb, who made her Phoenix Mercury debut Monday night, putting up twenty points off the bench in the Marks one oh six one oh one victory.
Speaker 1: Over the Chicago Sky.
Speaker 2: Alyssa Thomas had a nineteen point fifteen rebound, twelve assist triple double in the win, and Kalia Copper led Phoenix and scoring with thirty one points.
Speaker 1: Copper and the.
Speaker 2: Rest of the Mercury players and staff were all in the hotel lobby on Monday to greet Plumb as she arrived in Chicago post trade from the La Sparks. Meantime, on Tuesday, the Toronto Tempo introduced their newest player, Anissa Morrow, who was acquired via trade with the Connecticut Sun. Now we're recording this before Tuesday's Tempo Valkyrie's Contest, so we'll let you.
Speaker 1: Know if she made her Toronto debut in a future show. More WNBA. There are four games on the schedule Tonight.
Speaker 2: The Atlanta Dream will host the Phoenix Mercury Dream, coming off a one oh nine eighty seven loss against the Las Vegas Aces on Sunday. Jackie Young paced the Aces in that one, recording a twenty eight point eleven rebound tennisis triple double meantime, Angel Reese put up twenty three points and sixteen rebounds for her twentieth day double the season. She's put up a twenty point double double in five of her last six games. No doubt she'll be gun in for another one tonight against the Mercury. The New York Liberty are also back in action tonight. They're second of two straight with the Seattle Storm. The Liberty one Monday's contest ninety five eighty three their fifth win in six games, and they did it in front of a crowd at the Barclay Center that included Hillary Clinton, Steve Kerr, and Emily Sailors from.
Speaker 1: The Indigo Girls to.
Speaker 2: The NWSL, where the league is set to welcome back US women's national team defender Jenna Nicewanger. BFC is signing the fullback from Arsenal in a deal worth around two hundred thousand dollars, according to ESPN reports. Got them FC transferred Nicewanger to Arsenal back in January of twenty twenty five for a fee of about one hundred k. The former NWSL Rookie of the Year struggled in her time in England, playing in just five matches for Arsenal before spending the first half of this year on loan, with aston Villa, playing in just eight matches there. Aston Villa declined the option to buy Nicewanger's contract when the loan concluded. One game tonight in the NWSL as the Denver Summit host the North Carolina Courage that to nine pm Eastern kickoff in Colorado. Some are coming off a one to one draw with the Boston Legacy on Sunday, a game that saw a spectacular Casey Murphy goaltender assist. The Boston Legacy keeper served up a field length pass to striker Sammy Smith, who nutmeg Denver Summitt goalkeeper Abby Smith for the score. Murphy's assists marked just the fourth time in NWSL regular season history that a goalkeeper has recorded and assist more soccer, we mentioned on a previous show that European Soccer Confederation UEFA threatened to boycott all future FIFA competitions if the organization went forward with its plan to create a spinoff org and sell a twenty percent stake in it to private investors. The AFC and CONCA CAFF representing Asia and North America respectively, joined YUEFA in criticizing the proposal, and several FIFA higher ups resigned, forcing fifahead Gianni Infantino to announce that the proposal has been shelved. With the FIFA presidential election in March and support of Infantino waning, his future with FIFA is very much up in the air. To softball, just one week after pitcher Montana Fouts led the Utah Talents to victory in the AUSL Championship, she did it again for Team USA at this weekend's USA's Softball International Cup in Oklahoma City. The five day tournament featured six top international teams, plus the US national team and a US developmental team. The US national team and developmental team actually met in the semis, with the national team winning six to two to earn a spot in the championship. During the final against Japan on Monday night, Fouts delivered a near perfect performance in the circle, leading the US to a two zero victory and finishing the night with eight strikeouts.
Speaker 1: Fouts was named Most.
Speaker 2: Valuable Pitcher of the tournament, while Maya Brady, who posted a five to thirty eight batting average and recorded two home runs in five games, was named tournament MVP.
Speaker 1: To lacrosse.
Speaker 2: The US won its fifth consecutive and tenth overall world title over the weekend at the twenty twenty six Women's Lacrosse World Championship in Tokyo, Japan. After going three JO and group play, Tmusa moved on to the knockout round, defeating Puerto Rico in the quarterfinals, Israel in the semifinals, and then Canada in the championship final. To tennis, twenty one year old Alex Siala of the Philippines captured her first WTA title at the DC Open on Monday, besting American Jessica Pagoula four six six, four six to oh in a match that began on Sunday but finished on Monday due to rain delays. Yala is the first Filipina to win a WTA five hundred event. Finally to the WPBL, where Kelsey Whitmore and the San Francisco Firebells defeated Ali Schroeder and the Boston Hunters eleven to three on Sunday in the second half of the Women's Professional Baseball League's opening weekend.
Speaker 1: The Hunters are back.
Speaker 2: In action tonight against the La Queens, a seven thirty PM Eastern First Pitch.
Speaker 1: You can watch that game on ESPN Select. We got to take a break. When we come back, you better believe it's Brendan Hunt.
Speaker 2: I caught up with him a couple of weeks ago, just as the Men's World Cup was winding down to talk about the long awaited season four of Ted Lasso.
Speaker 3: Joining us now Coach Beard.
Speaker 2: He's an actor and writer known for films including We're the Millers and Horrible Bosses Too. TV shows including Key and Peel, Community, Parks and rec and How I Met Your Mother. He's the co host of the World Cup podcast After the Whistle, and he's put up multiple one man shows, including the most recent smash hit fantastic show, The Movement You Need. And of course, he's best known as co creator, writer and cast member of ted Lasso. A Second City alum, he fell in love with soccer while in Amsterdam performing with Boom Chicago. We've downed pints together in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Australia so far, and I acquired him a bowling trophy from his very first job, Set and Pins at Southport Lane's that now lives proudly on a shelf with Emmy's and SAG Awards where it should be, and he's pointing to it in the back there it's Brendan Hunt.
Speaker 4: Hi bred Hi Sharah, thanks coming on, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm amazed you're upright. I mean you're not, you're sitting down. I'm glad you're sitting down. I'm amazed you're sitting upright. Because boy, between the World Cup and prep for this new season of Ted Lasso, are you sleeping at all?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, yes, So I just got reunited with the kids, so, like I was gonna say, you also have children, Yeah, they weren't with us in New York, so we were kind of sleeping there and that was great Shannon, Shannon, because I left earlier than her and she was still asleep.
Speaker 4: And then later she texts me like Shannon being my wife, y'all, I slept till eleven. I slept till eleven. I slept till eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't get used to it, Shannon, because uh August fifth, Apple TV brand new season of Ted Lasso. There will be parties, there will be premieres, there will be a constant stream of texts. I can imagine congratulating you on yet another fan tastic season. But before we get to season four, we have to start at the beginning because I quickly want you to tell us about the day back in twenty thirteen, you and your friend Jason Sadeikis are sitting down to write a Premier League ad campaign for NBC Sports inspired by your years in Amsterdam, hanging out playing the FIFA video game together before and after your comedy shows how much of what we see and have seen across the years in ted Lasso came out of that first day of writing how much of the root is really in there?
Speaker 4: I mean a fair amount of the DNA. The thing is at that time we were writing a sketch essentially like that first ad. I mean holds up pretty well. But it holds up, I think for the exact possible length of what you could get out of it, which is like, you know, six minutes, and now we've done. However, you know, almost a thousand thousands, got to be thousand thousands of minutes have last over by now because because it got modulated, so the parts that are in there, that are are still part of it are won. And this is an analogue of like what I was doing. You know, for Jason and all my other friends when when they would move to Amsterdam, because I've been there once. I was there, I got into soccer, and when the American sports fans would come over, I would like try to explain soccer to them. So Beard doing that that, that's still part of the show because that's that's really the kernel of it in a way. And Beard not talking much is in there because you know, it was me and and Jason and our buddy Joe Kelly. And Joe Kelly was the one who early on was like, I would like to say that he was good enough friend to couch it by saying Brendon, I've got bad news for you. But he didn't do that. He just pulled the band aid right off and said, yeah, I don't think you should talk. He's a monologue and coach. So you should say like one thing at a time and just get it in and be done with it. Oh, yeah, you're right, Okay, great, let's do that. Those things are eternal. But yeah, oh and the desire, the desire is not quite not quite there at the word. But so the the comfort with making fun of ourselves, not just ourselves personally, but also our our our two hundred fifty year old, incredible nation. So those things are all still part of it. But if it had just remained what it was at the time, you know, we wouldn't be talking about it now, because yeah, we squeezed damn near all we could out of that lemon. And then even when it came back the next year, it was already starting to change in the direction of where it is now, but not not very far, just a couple of baby steps, but those baby steps open the door. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing even the ad for it being a TV show and I was like, huh, like, how are you going to make this a TV show? And not excited and then immediately becoming completely and utterly obsessed. What if I told Brendan on that first day of writing what was going to happen to him over the next ten years or so as a result of that little sketch, Well, would the response have been.
Speaker 4: It would have been the end of our friendship. And I know that mathematically that would have been the first day we met, So yeah, maybe that would would have been. That would have been like, no, no, this lady's full of shit, I'm out here, We're done.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad we didn't meet back then because it gives me a chance of fighting, chance to stick around.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about you.
Speaker 2: You wrap season three, there are some great teasers at the end there, you tease the women's team, you tease, you know, the meet cute again between Rebecca and the man from the house boat. There's a lot of things that were left for fans to cling to as proof that you couldn't possibly just leave those dangling.
Speaker 1: You would have to come back.
Speaker 2: And yet a lot of the press was that it was done at least for a while, if not forever, breaking the hearts of so many who literally clung to the show, especially during COVID and the diarist moments of our existence, which seemed to be every morning when I wake up to fresh new horse and I'm like ted Lasso again, did you think you were done with season three? Like, was there a point at which you really believed.
Speaker 1: That that was it?
Speaker 4: We thought, I mean, I can't speak for others, but I thought it was very possible that we were done, but also accepted that, you know, there we sure liked doing it. We like doing it more than we ever thought we would. When we sort of you know, to some degree mapped out, you know, a three season art of it, and we way underestimated the degree to which people would would like watching it for you know, that that was for sure, but also you know, it's just very full on gig and like we definitely were going to take a break, and you know, at that point, it's down to the whims of Jason, and like I just very easily could see Jason saying, you know, let's do it again or not. I really am done. I really am done. You know, I'm tired of having a mustache. Like he's not a natural He makes it work, but it's not his natural state. So yeah, it truly could have gone either way. I certainly was hoping we'd come back and and obviously maybe not obviously, but I'm glad we did. But yeah, I didn't know for sure. I was trying very actively trying not to think about it, but we did leave ourselves those a couple of breadcrumbs that you mentioned, just to make sure that you know, if we did have somewhere to go, or if we do want to come back, we would have somewhere to go.
Speaker 1: So we'll get to the decision to come back.
Speaker 2: But I want to talk about how you spent some of the time in between. I know of one thing, your incredible one man show, The Movement you Need, which I saw in a little test run in a smaller theater and then saw at Steppenwolf, which is for those who don't know, this storied theater in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Was so much incredible history.
Speaker 2: And you sold that okr out over and over again and people raved and cried and laughed and it's a really beautiful show.
Speaker 1: And do you have any Broadway news to break yet?
Speaker 4: No, no Broadway news to break. We remain in state of Broadway aspiration. But uh yeah, it just it just might might be a minute, is all. But that's still still the hope. I mean, the run at Steppenwolf went as well as I possibly could have hoped, such a thrill to be on that stage in particular. So yeah, there's there, there's life in this yet. But it's just it's just not not right away.
Speaker 2: It's a life story that involves a lot about your family and your career and comedy and the Beatles, and very much about Paul McCartney.
Speaker 1: Have you gotten sir Paul to this to the theater yet?
Speaker 4: No? He didn't make it out to Chicago. But that's one of the reasons why I want to get to Broadways, because I'm pretty sure he hangs out in New York at fair amount. Uh. But you know what, I forgot to ask Jason about this when I saw him at the you know, for the for the World Cup final, the last time him and me and Shannon maybe she was with him in Kansas City, firstman in Kansas City for a quarterfinal, the the Argentina sitcially quarterfinal, and apparently he whispered to Shannon somewhere in there. I was at a wedding or something like that, and I saw Paul McCartney and the dance floor and I told him about the show on the dance.
Speaker 1: Floor, and so he knows it exists.
Speaker 4: He knows it exists, but he heard it. It was a wedding, so it was on dance. How many times had somebody come up to you in a dance floor with a pitch and and like you've like clung to that. He's like, yeah, I'm Paul McCartney. I'm always looking for new information.
Speaker 1: One man show out of Chicago a moment.
Speaker 4: Oh wow about me, Paul McCartney. So who knows if it landed, and but I haven't. I've not gotten Jason's version of that story. Yet we're at least inching ever closer to Paul. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it's fantastic. Did you get any surprising feedback or moving feedback? I feel like a lot of people felt deep personal connections and found some part of it that they really saw themselves in.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the show is about my mom, Me and my mom's relationship. My mom was an alcoholic for me being a young age. She was divorced when I was very young and eventually getting married, but it was always complicated, and we had this one avenue of of sort of you know, cohesion and understanding, which was a mutual love of the Beatles that she had instilled in me. And like, I got a lot of people after shows saying that it was, you know, a little analog of their relationship with their mother or father. That weird, That seems like there's a lot of alcoholic parents in Chicago. I don't know how that it's.
Speaker 1: Full of Irish Catholics. That can't be.
Speaker 4: It's strictly anecdotal, but yeah, that they had complicated relationship with their parents and that not just music, but specifically the Beatles was something that they could still connect over, which you know speaks to the power of their music. So yeah, it was. It was kind of a good feeling to be like, you know, I got to tell the specifics of this story and what's unique about it, but then to have it come back to me is you know, this story is more more broadly, you know, lived out there.
Speaker 2: They always say, Actually, the specifics tend to be more relatable, So dive in as deep as you can, and that's where people find themselves. You're also writing a book. Are you going to say what it's about? Or do we keep that under wraps for now?
Speaker 4: We keep it under wraps for now. It's kind of leaking out there. But I don't need to keep letting it leak, So.
Speaker 1: Stop the leak.
Speaker 4: Another biographical thing, but this time more about Chicago baseball than Liverpudley and music.
Speaker 1: Love it Okay.
Speaker 2: So you're doing these side projects and all the while you're wondering if Sadeikis is going to call up and say he's getting the itch. When did you come together and decide Season four? What happened and what did the time off give you? In terms of perspective for how you wanted the show to go this time.
Speaker 4: Trying to remember, example, the timeline was, so we finished filming in twenty twenty two and then there was still post for a while. That took us into the new year, and let's see, we started writing again in what years of now? Twenty twenty six we shot it. So he's there somewhere arom there. I don't know, I guess late twenty twenty three, Jason, you know startling I missed. You know, his idea of doing it with the women's team is is really is really sticking with me? And so somewhere in there we had like a mini writer's retreat. We grab some of the staff and we went out to OHI and hung out there for a little bit. Yeah, and just through through it against the wall, not even with the idea of like finding stuff that that could end up being in the show per se, but just to see if this was still fertile ground, you know, like, is there is there something to be you know, still tilled here, and like you know, just the amount of ideas that people had, not just about new characters and and and the and the new team, but also you know, still still plenty to unravel about the characters that were were you know, we had been around from the beginning, so just left there with a feeling like okay, yeah, there's there's there's something here, and then yeah, and then soon enough it was we were gathering for real as a whole staff. And then we were off to the race.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think when I saw you in Chicago, you were going to Kansas City. When we got coffee, I think you're going to Kansas City, and then you were going back out to Richmond, England area.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We filmed the first episode in Kansas City. Yeah, and uh, you know, because you know that's where Ted is, That's where we leave him, so we got to go back there to get him out. And then I think the spoiler is clear, since there are nine episodes after that episode, you get him back. I don't want to shock you, but the remaining episodes are filmed in Richmond.
Speaker 1: Well, he can't be a fish out of water if he's in water. So that it's so true.
Speaker 4: So true. He's not not flopping around nothing good to watch there.
Speaker 2: No, he's never drinking bubbly water by mistake and spitting it out. He's just perfectly capable of handling all the water in Kansas City, and what's the fun in that?
Speaker 1: So we hear a good game.
Speaker 2: In particular, are exceedingly excited that this season is centered around the Richmond Women's Club.
Speaker 1: What are you legally allowed to tell us about season four?
Speaker 4: Let's see, here's my version of an eight mile rap. Like, I know that some liberties were taken with some structural stuff, and some passionate soccer fans like, that's not what happens, and they'll they'll be right, but we did it anyway. But hey, I don't want them to think it was because we didn't know. No, we knew, but you gotta tell the story and sometimes you got shoe hornes and facts in there. So, for one thing, this team starts out in WSL two, which there's some precedent for that, because I believe when Man You got their team going, they just were magically because if they were Men United, and there was probably some money involved, they were in the WSL two. And that can't happen anymore. If you're the starting a team, even if you're attached to PREMI league club, you start further down. Well, we ain't got time for that. So we're in WSL two.
Speaker 2: Also, I mean, Brendan, most of us are still learning what soccer is, so the majority of your American fans.
Speaker 1: Won't be like, I don't know about this. This isn't how the Premier League works.
Speaker 4: Uh, the deeper cut yet we we uh we play a little fast and loose with the schedule of the Women's f A Cup. Uh. The will be at least one Women's a Cup match. It will not take place at the time that it's supposed to take place. The draw is at a weird time. We we have we have taken great liberties with the calendar and that we did not take with with our previous seasons. And it's not because not because that was the men's game. There's the women's game, which is we gotta we gotta thing. We got we had a we had a Sorry, Sorry about that, Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 2: We're used to how our storylines being secondary to the storylines of the men at the center of life.
Speaker 1: Really, so if you need.
Speaker 2: To just move us around willy nilly where we don't even fit in order to accommodate you, we get it.
Speaker 4: It's so good to talk to seminar. Thank you, thank you, thankfully.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Most of us will not know unless we are watching enough to learn how the calendar works out there were probably not probably not aware. What players or legends did you lean on for the women's storylines. Can you reveal anyone that you went to and said, hey, we do want to get this part right, so make sure we're helping helping us out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just by total happenstances. While we were shooting season three, Jason and I both separately met England captain and Arsenal stalwart Leah Williamson and and we remained in touch with her, and she's she's real good people and she was someone we were able to turn to a fair amount cool and also nomadic American soccer exec Karen Nortman, someone were able to go to a lot of a lots for like the business side.
Speaker 2: Of things for those who don't know, one of the co founders of Angel City and also Monarch Collective, which is a massive fund for women's sports. And she bounces around all over the globe doing a ton of that stuff. So that's a great person to chat with.
Speaker 4: So yeah, those two, I believe or will be credited as consultants on the show. They're certainly supposed to be if they're not somebody but it wasn't me, But yeah, they were. They were both invaluable.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I'm sure you can't reveal any cameos.
Speaker 4: I cannot. I cannot. I'm not even sure there are any, but that I cannot if.
Speaker 1: There were very very well played.
Speaker 2: Let's say that this show were to go on for more seasons after this, you're something you're certainly not committing to or announcing here and now, unless you want.
Speaker 1: To hoping for Okay, great for I'll take that answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, so season five, season six, future cameos, So you're not revealing anything about this season. Is there someone that you've either tried to get on and hasn't yet come on, or a dream cameo that you would like to reach out and see if you'll be able to wrangle them m.
Speaker 1: Other than sir Paul of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much, just Paul and Yoko there and and like hash it out, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like playing soccer hopefully, Yeah, suit them up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm afraid I cannot answer that question because that that touches on the other question.
Speaker 2: So fair, fair, fair, fair, which then would then reveal to us that there already are cameos, even though you said you didn't even know if there were any. Anyway, it seems like the cast of the show gets along really well. You've got old friends like you and Jason. You also have this collection of people who have seen their lives completely change because of the show's popularity since maybe day one when you're on set with them, to them being these big stars.
Speaker 1: Now, what's the onset vibe?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it as fun as it seems from the outside.
Speaker 4: It's fun, that's for sure, you know, like a we pretty early on realized that a problem that we used to have when we were shooting scenes in the men's locker room, that we were gonna have the exact same problem in the women's locker room, which was all the team are having too much fun together and they need to shut the up. Like it was like three seasons, three seasons, like it crept up slowly, like you know, like a frog and boiling water, you know, like it was like a little bit season one and then seeing two a little bit more and season three, like Jesus, guys, come on, what's happening here? We got it?
Speaker 1: We were filming a show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this time we saw it coming a little bitarly on like oh right, okay, hey gang, this is not your fault, but there's this is a thing that's gonna happen, and it'll be better if it didn't, right, fair, But it still happens all the time. Like they you know, both teams just loved hanging out with each other and the energy was always great for it. And you know, also across the board consummate professionals and like you know it, when alerted to the fact that they were unwittingly causing a bit of a distraction, uh, you know, everybody, everybody clicked in the gear right away. But but yeah, everybody's having having fun for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I realized by the way, that was an unfair question. It was a very when did you stop beating your wife? Journalistic malpractice? Is it as fun as we think it is? Like what you're supposed to say? No, Actually, it turns out a lot of us do hate each other, which I'm going to reveal right now here in the center.
Speaker 1: So poor question from me, and yet handled perfectly by you.
Speaker 4: Well you, David sterned me. Oh boy, it.
Speaker 2: Really did you film a lot in the actual town of Richmond upon Thames. Have you heard much about if that city has gotten a sort of Ted Lasso bump, whether positively or negatively, Like everyone's showing up and going to the pub now.
Speaker 4: It was already starting in season three when we were shooting season three, which was slightly problematic for me because after season two was done, which was which was the hardest COVID year. Like, you know, a lot of things were closed almost the whole time that we were filming. They just started open up as we were done, and I was like, you know what, I like Richmond. I want to live in Richmond. I want the pub from from the show to be my local. Richmond's beautiful. Let's go to Richmond, because like it seemed like the UK had not yet caught up to the show. Unfortunately, by season three it had. I can no longer go to the pub from the show, and if I go to Richmond Green, I have to be very stealthy about it because yeah, people people are flocking there. Frankly, you know, mostly Americans, but a lot of folks. There's now an official Ted Lasso shop that is in the alley where Ted's department was the real club is still there? The pub who used to you know after the after season one came out. If you were to go to the pub and be like Last, they'd be like, sure, yeah, there was. There was a thing called the Last. Have it fine. Now they have a booth that's basically a shrine to the show.
Speaker 1: There. I'm gonna make it worse. All of us are going to make it worse.
Speaker 4: The Prince's Head, ladies and gentlemen, all right on Richmond Green, but please enjoy some of the other establishments like the Cricketers excellent excellent little pub and Richmond Green, for the record, is truly a magical place. Like me and Jason, while we were all still writing Season one, me and Jason went to go watch some auditions in London for Rebecca's. It was six really really good people for Rebecca and none of them we were quite right. But our last stop because they wanted to show some locations on our last day before we're going to the airport at like two, and they showed us, you know, the river and this and that, and then you know, we still had a little while and it was Wednesday at two and like I've been to Britain before I know what they're like, and so a little surprise, no one was mentioning this, and so I realized, oh, they're waiting for us to give permission. So well, everybody, since we've we've seen all the locations, should we get a beer? Yes, yes, that'd be love me. Let's do that. That's do that. Like eight of us around a bench outside and like got to sit next to Richmond Green on a beautiful day, and Richmond Green is just it's awesome. It's a perfect little park. It is used in the perfect ways, you know, by by the locals. And then you're just off the river. The river's beautiful there like Richmond's great. And one last Richmond recommendation for those who go start your tour at the top of it of Richmond Hill, there's a pub called the Roebuck and if you come outside, they let you just grab a beer and pull it outside. And incredible view of the Thames which was immortalized in someone's painting, maybe a Hogarth, just with this particular curve in the river, just one one. That view is like a protected government view. There's like a law like that comes back up every hundred years.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that you actually tried to live there, and so that people there were like, nah, It's like when a guy wears his own jersey.
Speaker 1: I think it was Matt Stafford.
Speaker 2: Who wore his own jersey for Halloween, and people like, well, it can't really be him, or no it was it was a juju Smith's shuster. I think Halloween Trigger treated in his own jersey and everyone was like, well, that's not him, and that's you wandering around Richmond after season two, They're like, well, surely.
Speaker 1: The actor who plays Coach Beard wouldn't be so ridiculous as to move.
Speaker 2: Here and live here permanently, and yet that you are, and it would be shanin for a man to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick speed round.
Speaker 2: Tell us something we don't know that would surprise us about Jason Sadegas.
Speaker 4: He has no sense of smell, literally physically, no from birth. He has no sense of smell.
Speaker 1: Oh that's such a shame. I love good smells.
Speaker 2: I hate bad smells, though, so maybe it's not always a shame. Tell us something we would be surprised to know about Brett Goldstein.
Speaker 4: I don't think he sleeps. I don't think he sleeps.
Speaker 1: Actual vampire just doesn't need it.
Speaker 4: Just his engine is running forever and he always needs to be doing something, which.
Speaker 5: Is why he's this business so prolific, admirably prolific in his output of all things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Juno Temple.
Speaker 4: This might not be that surprising, but the greatest collection of vintage clothes you've ever seen outside.
Speaker 1: Now I want to see all of them. Okay. Finally, Hannah Wattingham.
Speaker 4: Mouth like a sailor, perfect as.
Speaker 1: It should be. I feel like she and I would get along quite well.
Speaker 4: Oh you would, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you'd literally see eye to eye, which is good novel enough to few, but yeah, yeah, you two would hit either of your native towns in memorable fashions.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the cast, just a couple of weeks ago, you lost to Anthony had who played Rupert. What a perfect role, perfect ability for him to just be charming in a prick at the same time, which is very difficult then yet he nailed it. What will you remember most about spending time in filming with him?
Speaker 4: His glee? You know, he was He's very like inauspiciously great, you know, and he he for as negative as his energy was on camera, off camera, it was always like Anthony's here today, here today who and like you could you could feel it, you know, just so gracious with everyone and yeah, just a real, real goddamn gentlemen, and pleasure to work with.
Speaker 1: Sorry for your loss.
Speaker 2: He was quite a delight at the role, which is hard to do sometimes, but certain people can pull off being the enemy and also sort of twinkle in their eye making you like them a little bit.
Speaker 1: We're running out of time. I have to ask you.
Speaker 2: About introducing Bieber at the World Cup Final, because what again, I'm going back to that stoned kid in Amsterdam just looking around and one day I'm like, hey, hey, I'm Sarah from the future. Just wanted to let you know you're going to introduce Justin Bieber ahead of the World Cup Final halftime, which, okay, there's my bat. It's right after the hydration Breakwait, I'm sorry, lady. You're definitely full of shit. First of all, what and how was that?
Speaker 4: It was a surreal blast, So Jason tells me a couple of months ago, Hey, I got a call from Chris Martin. He asked if I would do to last on the halftime show. Awesome, yeah, yeah, Chris Martin. Cole played who was who was administering the entire thing, and but asked if you would do Ted last and the halftime show, and he says yeah, And in a classic Sedakas style move, Jason says, but Ted last is there? Kind of feels like Coach Beard should be there too, huh. And I'm not sure Chris Martin had anticipated that reply, but after after a bit of a cijura, he's, I think that's amazing. So it's been cooking for a while and I've been biting my tongue not telling my loved ones. I told only Shannon and my manager, and uh, finally got to it, got to do it, and like it was, it was for charity, you know, this for Global Citizen, which is a pretty fantastic charity to cast four billion eyes upon. None of this, however, means that I am now suddenly a proponent of halftime shows for soccer games, uh, particular the World Cup final, especially if they had a little unwieldy time wise, which I'm told this one did. I was in my place in the right time. I don't know we kneeled our tunes, but but if it was gonna happen, I'm glad I got to be part of it. It was weird as hell and uh no, I did not meet Madonna nor the Muppets. But Beaber was great. Beaber was great due to mel great, Takira great. Turns out, Shakira's people call her Shack, which before I knew that, I thought actual Shaquille O'Neil was going to be part of the halftime show because of course he is. Yeah, of course he is.
Speaker 2: We got Ronaldo the World Cup final halftime. I feel like Shak's always involved in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now I'm surprised he wasn't, but so yeah it was. It was trippy as hell, but but an absolute blast.
Speaker 2: You also had me thinking, I love that you always have a line for Sadaikas now that he always has to bring his beard with.
Speaker 1: Him, which could work in many many occasions.
Speaker 2: Levels to that, did you get to say hi and or shut up to TIERI on?
Speaker 4: No, not this time.
Speaker 1: That's a shame. Yeah, keep that for the show.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I'll see him at the Emirates yet again. You know, we both slum it over there quite awesen love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, the coolest thing so far that ted Lasso has allowed you to do.
Speaker 4: Sing the theme to the show with Mumford and Sons at a concert in Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's awesome. That's really cool.
Speaker 2: And what's your alter ego that you often perform at as.
Speaker 4: There my Elvis Costello tribute act Elvis Prestello, who's an Elvis Presley persader who only sings Elvis Costello songs.
Speaker 2: I was like, my brain is saying Elvis Presley, but I don't think that's quite right.
Speaker 1: And it isn't It is Elvis.
Speaker 4: Prostello, Presto Prestello.
Speaker 1: Pressed Prestello, Elvis Prestello.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Okay, that's a pretty good one. All right, last question for you. You need to give us one little Easter egg, completely out of context for season four. That will mean absolutely nothing to us now, but we'll make it to give a little squeal and pop up on our couch when it shows up in an episode this season.
Speaker 4: My favorite Chicago set novel.
Speaker 2: Oh, there are Devil in the White City? What's the one about the the stockyards?
Speaker 1: It's famous. Sorry to my teacher, that's.
Speaker 4: Not how you know it. Just the the egg is there. You gotta hunt for it, you know, if it's under something or behind something, if there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of slaughtered animals relating to it.
Speaker 1: Upton, Sinclair, hold on, it's coming, It's coming.
Speaker 2: It's in there somewhere, the something anyway, that's where we're gonna So we're gonna end this with the egg still unfound.
Speaker 1: Brendan, you are the fucking best. Thank you so much for doing this. I am so excited for this season.
Speaker 2: I can't decide it if I want to binge it or meet it out slowly when most needed. But I'm just I'm just so thrilled that you guys have found so some success.
Speaker 1: You've really deserved it.
Speaker 4: No, thank you very much. It's been a pleasure. And thanks again for my bowling trophy. It's right over there.
Speaker 1: I love that it's still there. Context yes, okay.
Speaker 2: So Brennan's first job was as a pin setter at Southport Lanes, a bowling alley in Chicago, and it also accounted for his very first television appearance, where he did an interview about working there as a young teen. And years later, when we were having our first interview, I want to say I told him that Southport Lanes was being auctioned all the different pieces because it was finally going under despite having survived like the Spanish flu and prohibition and every other thing, and had been around forever and never hundreds and hundreds of years, and finally COVID was taking it down and what a shame. And do you think that maybe you and Sadakas could just buy it in the auction the whole damn place?
Speaker 1: And he said, I think it's too late for that.
Speaker 2: So I went on the auction site and I saw that they were selling bowling trophies, and I thought, this is a little piece.
Speaker 1: That he can have, And there it is, right.
Speaker 4: Alongside the MPort lanes.
Speaker 1: Never forget where you came from.
Speaker 2: Where you came from, that first TV spot is the reason it all happened.
Speaker 1: Never forget it.
Speaker 2: Thanks again to Brendan for taking the time during a very busy stretch between the World Cup and Lasso premieres and probos.
Speaker 1: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: You can now watch full length good game interviews on the Iheartwomen's Sports YouTube channel and you definitely want to watch this one to check out the bowling trophy, so go subscribe.
Speaker 1: We have to take another break when we return. Can you get a Nobel Prize for a television review? Welcome back slices.
Speaker 2: We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day, perhaps our easiest slice work yet. Watch the new season of ted Lasso. The premiere is available now and new episodes will drop weekly until the finale scheduled for October seventh, and follow Brendan at Brendan Hunting on Insta.
Speaker 1: We'll put it in the show notes too. We always love hearing from you.
Speaker 2: You can send us an email good game at wondermediaetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail calling eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy and y'all don't forget to subscribe, rate and review.
Speaker 1: I tell you this all the time. It's real easy and it helps the show.
Speaker 2: Watch Malala use of size side hustle as TV critic, rating ten out of ten for accuracy review. I had the honor of interviewing Nobel Prize winner and co founder of a women's sports investment fund, Malala during WNBA All Star Weekend. First, I have to say she was predictably brilliant but surprisingly well versed in women's sports, especially since she just started the fund and got involved last year. She wasn't present for the previous panels at the conference, and yet she repeated so many of the major messages of earlier speakers and really understood the opportunity and the biggest barriers to growth in the women's sports ecosphere. I especially enjoyed her answer to my most pressing question. You've had access to and convened with some of the most powerful people in the world.
Speaker 1: How do you balance the.
Speaker 2: Good that can be done when we harness the power, wealth, and influence of certain folks with the fact that they may have views or opinions that aren't in line with your mission. And malalassentially said, it's not necessary to work with people who aren't aligned. It's not worth muddying the waters of your mission. It will ultimately be counterproductive and slow you down. And the work can be done without dirty money and without abandoning your principles. I love to hear it, and it was an especially great message for a room full of team owners and presidents to hear. She's not even thirty years old yet, and she's just fantastically impressive. Anyway, while we were discussing the importance of female ownership. She paused the conversation to bring up Ted Lasso and talked about how much she loves the show, but that she thinks it should be called Rebecca. The way she sees it, Ted's unorthodox techniques, sense of humor and rapport with the players are only possible because Rebecca is at the helm.
Speaker 1: She posits that a male.
Speaker 2: Owner would immediately fire Ted in favor of a more traditionally tough and masculine manager. I ran into Jason sadeikis ted Lasso himself no fewer than five times in Chicago during All Star, and I finally stopped him to ask what he thought of Malala's take.
Speaker 1: He said, they're not changing the name.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't mean he doesn't agree. Meantime, I asked Brendan about it too, and he said, quote, she's incredible, and the day I found out she was a fan of the show, I literally gasped. Everything she says makes sense. But we probably can't rename the show at this point because Warner Brothers wouldn't want to relabel all the merch heavy sigh end quote. Fair point, Brendan. It will just have to be Rebecca in our minds now it's your turn, y'all, rate and review, Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good Game, Brendan, Good Game, Malala view. The fact that none of the ideas I gave Brendan over Coffee ended up in this Ted Lasso season, Well wait, I haven't seen it yet, so technically there's still a chance. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are are Alex.
Speaker 1: Azzi and Bianca Hillier.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Lucy Jones, Brittany Martinez and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery Loftus and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain