Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heeart Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this week we have Jada Pinkett Smith coming on. She has a new book out. It's called Worthy, a gripping, at times painfully honest and ultimately inspirational memoir from global superstar and creator the Red Table Talk series Jada Pinkett Smith. She talks about depression, She talks about the slap. She talks about childhood.
Speaker 1: She grew up with drug dealer, her in the streets. On the streets yeah, Baltimore, m hm. I mean things that you think you know, you think you know.
Speaker 3: You have no idea.
Speaker 2: But now I'm reading the book though, too. I mean, you guys definitely should pick it up. Because when we got sent the advance copy, I couldn't put it down.
Speaker 1: I was surprised. Yeah, and I think the honesty is like the core of it for me, just how honest. And also we always think we know somebody, but we just you don't know why people are the way they are. I know, Craamer, big, big deep bread.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But she's actually in the waiting room, so let's just get her one.
Speaker 1: Hey, girl, you got your little fun.
Speaker 2: I know how things have changed since that.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: I know, thank you, congrats to you, thank you because this is about you, So.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jada. I feel better just being in this room with you. I needed to see your smile and just have a minute with your energy.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: I did be with you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: You're so sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know we were just obviously we know it's press week and you're you've got a lot going on. So just thank you for spending your time with us right now and just being open and so authentic. And that's something that I've always and I think it's interesting as we were talking, because you know, you walked into the this a little nervous, nervous, and you know, she's like, well, how is she? And I'm like, she's great. And you know, obviously I was nervous when I sat down with your red table talk because you're you're Jada, and you're just you know, it's I was. I was nervous. And then the second I met you, there's something about your energy that just made me feel safe. And I told Kristen, and that's safe. Safety for me is the biggest thing. That's when I can because I come from just that really anxious and place and so when I felt that, I was like, no, like she's she's cool. And you said something today that I was like, Oh, that's that's interesting that you you felt that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's interesting to me because what I know of you only is from media, right, which is so often unfair, unkind, unjust for the most part. And I know that because this is my best friend. So I've really been in the of it, on the backside of a lot of things. But it's funny because I have always You've always been perceived to me. I'm just you know, forty two year old woman in America right right, always perceived to me is this extra strong, can handle anything woman, right, which I love and I identify with. I mean, there's so many pieces of your book that I just felt like were sentences that made me tear up. Also like wrapped your arms around me in words, so many things. There's a safety quote I actually we cannot forget to revisit in your book. But I was telling Janna, I said, it's crazy how media can make you almost feel too strong, right, Like the perception is like you know, like I was like, if I misspeak, is she going to you know? Also, Hollywood mixed with all of our stories. Sometimes it gets like, is this person going to be a kind person? You know where I'm extra lovey heart on sleeve. Listen, there's enough Detroit still in both of us that we can hold our own. But I'm like, you know, I just want to make sure that I'm always being respectful. But then I do want to ask questions like who are you? You know, who's Jada real Jada? Not what we know? And what they what the storyline or the agenda is, or the PR people or who has the bigger, better PR People like you are such a beautiful force in so many ways.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I mean it, you made my heart.
Speaker 3: You made my heart smile with that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's real. I mean Baltimore tough, I mean be more as no jokes, this not at all.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, for me, I think, you know, I have to. I'm just learning as I get older to kind of let go of some of those defenses that you know, I had to use to survive, you know, and they were so embedded in me. Sometimes it's difficult to to let those defenses down and just kind of be more vulnerable, specifically specifically in media spaces, you know, because I don't consider media spaces safe spaces, you know. So if you see me on the red carpet or if you see me doing an interview, like, I'm always kind of, you know, in that survival mode. And so I've had to really learn how to in my process in my journey of worthy as like finding my strength in my vulnerability, finding you know, finding my strength in the heartbreak of it all. You know, it's like finding my strength in surrender, finding my strength in my softness, you know, and not being afraid of those areas, you know. And so this, this whole journey for me has really like helped me with that. Like I don't have to I don't have to take on people's perception of me. I don't have to defend myself. I don't have to do any of that, right, But it's taken me a long time to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you know that's that's the beauty in with you too. And something where you wrote in your book, and I'm gonna pull up my notes right here, but you basically said when I saw this was also in one of the Red Table talks, is you brought a lot to your relationship from your past and your upbringing, which we all do.
Speaker 1: But I felt very in a way. I almost was like.
Speaker 2: Protective, not protective, but I was like I wanted to be well, well, Jada, like so does the next one, so so did so did Will or so did everyone else that you're with.
Speaker 1: And so I felt like how do I say this?
Speaker 2: Like there was a piece of me that, just like you, deserve to feel worthy and to feel loved, and I know that no man can make us feel that way. So where do you think we get lost in that piece of that self discovery and that self worth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think from my my journey, I really was expecting my relationships to substitute that which I didn't have for myself, whether it was self consideration, self respect, you know, coming from you know, being the child of my mother who you know was a heroin addict for most of my childhood, codependency, you know, it was like, Okay, that was my symbol of love. You sacrifice yourself for the people that you love. You, you deal with your boundary being you know, constantly violated or you know, so all of these kind of aberated ideas of what love is, and so coming into a relationship, expecting that man to fill every void that I had, and then also having these really false ideas of what love looks like, what love feels like, and so just the combination of that, and I think we all come with our stuff, right, And that's why in the book, I really spend more time thinking about my part because to me, that is how that's how I define taking back my power because for so long me looking at what somebody else was doing and trying to change that person's behavior is what kept me stuck in a cycle of pain, which kept me stuck. So I've learned to recognize my part. First, I can recognize what the other person, what their story is, and what's going on over there. But I know ultimately that I have the power to change whatever's happening through me being willing to change myself.
Speaker 2: Well, there's there's growth in that because I kind of felt the same thing with my past. Like after my divorce, I start dating something else, I'm like, I'm just repeating the same pattern.
Speaker 1: This is actually I could.
Speaker 2: Blame the men so the rest of my life, and that's going to get me literally nowhere. The problem isn't them, Yeah, they're maybe the stuff they brought to it was bad, but I was the one that had to look in the mirror and do the work. Yeah, Like that was on me to go, oh crap, like it's actually I am the common denominator.
Speaker 1: Right, And it is interesting because in your book, so I severe independence is something a default too. Oh yeah, hard and so so I mean, like you know, I've like openly said, like my sweet husband, like, how do you hug a bag of razor blades? Like I want to be hugged. But then also he's like, I don't know how to come at you right, right, Like girl, like I'm trying, but I don't know. And there's something you said. And I think this sentence is one of the sentences of so many I can't express to you enough how much of this book is just like almost parts of it reading my own diary, Like different characters, different names, but so much similarity. There's a part in the book, in the chapter University of the b Moore Streets where you say, and I think Janna and I both identify with this, probably to the core of our DNA. You say, what I needed was a level of independence so that I could create my own safety. Yeah, and then you say home no longer gave me that. Yep, like I feel it makes me want to cry. Yeah, that feels almost like biblical to like me truth wise, right you? So when you take someone as sturdy as you, as independent as you, and I think that one of the things that three of us probably share in common is maybe being scrutinized sometimes or maybe being two independent or blow you know whatever. The narrative is, how do you drop that independence when you enter a relationship and I mean you're you're it's not just a relationship. We're talking like we're talking Will freaking Smith. I mean, this is no you know, these are no these are people we all know and well we all know of I should say that's a more fair way to put it. But how do you come into a relationship with someone who probably is also because he's a human being coming in with his own things and go like what, how do you own the pieces of it and say I'm sorry? Is there a defining point for you where you go? I know, in this moment, I did something that helped change the course of this for better or worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think for me really learning myself right, once I started getting out of the blome game of oh blaming will for you know whatever, for everything basically right, And took some time to myself to realize, oh, no, chick, you're the common denominator, right, So once I really was willing to embrace that and then really look at Okay, let's look at how you function and how those particular defense mechanisms, those particular defaults play a part in the dynamic within yourself that also creates this dynamic with your partner, right, And I had to really break it down. So through my journey and therapy, through my journey with plant medicine, I really had to create an intimate relationship with myself so that I could understand through and through what that common denominator was, right, and then really be willing to be super like, to be really vigilant when I'm relating, so that I go, oh, there I go again, that judgment that tone that then triggers him, you know what I mean, And then it's like, okay, pull it back. Was that loving? Was that kind? No, you're being judgmental and you're and the punisher is here?
Speaker 1: Does that also feel unsafe too? Because when you are wired the way you're wired, and and from environment too. This is like a nurture over nature, Like this is the ultimate right, Like you had to do what you had to do to survive, to be I mean, through your teens, through all of this. When when that's happening for you, are you then going like hold up, like I need I mean, is it Is it a moment where you just stop in your tracks and go, this is so vulnerable that now all the safety's gone. Because I think that is where I sometimes struggle. Right, if I get too vulnerable, if I get too honest, right, then I'm not safe anymore because now you're seeing parts of me that the razor blade floor it gets used against you, which has been right.
Speaker 3: So that's where that's where we have to develop a deeper sense of security within ourselves and so and that that's a really deep subject because in order to feel safe in our vulnerability, we cannot expect that safety to come out from the outside, right. We can't expect our partners to behave a certain way to make us feel safe for us to go into these spaces within ourselves. Right, So I had to really learn how to create that internal safety. I had to trust. Now for me, it was more about getting in contact with a higher power, right, and really sitting with some intense, vulnerable emotions alone that I thought were going to kill me.
Speaker 2: Well, those were the thoughts in the ayahuasca, right, like ya, kill yourself, kill yourself.
Speaker 1: You don't you deserve to die?
Speaker 3: Right, those thoughts, And so that was one of that was probably the beginning of me creating that intimate relationship that I'm talking about. And it took me and me to get through that. So this is where I started to develop that emotional trust in those spaces of vulnerability that were really dark, right, and really intense. And so I had to learn to practice being in those vulnerable, emotional, intense spaces with myself. I had to learn how to parent myself. I had to learn how to be my own mother. I had to learn how to be my own father, my own lover, my own husband, all of it, my own best friend. It's like, Jada, you are here alone with you that I could gather the understanding and the knowledge that I am my safety. So me being my safety, I'm going to be okay when I want to share my vulnerability and I want to share that well of sweet honey within me with someone else. Because no matter how they react, no matter what they say, no matter how they misstep, I know, I got me. It's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: You're loving the little girl and you that wasn't loved.
Speaker 3: Right, Loving that little girl in me that wasn't loved and that little girl, loving her and strengthening her is what creates that safe space within us to be able to share those spaces of vulnerability with other people.
Speaker 1: But we you know I.
Speaker 3: It's not based on it's not based on somebody else creating that safe space for us. Now, we do have to have the We do have to have the the understanding of.
Speaker 1: Who does not.
Speaker 3: Everybody deserves that that space. If you're speaking about a man that you've decided to be with, you know that you're committed to, That's that's where the work is, right. I look at relationships as a holy path in that way.
Speaker 1: That that that's really what.
Speaker 3: I feel as though that I'm learning on my journey. I got married because I, you know, I was pregnant and we wanted a family, but I also wanted I wanted I didn't want to deal with my ship. I expected that Will was going to be the savior, prince right and once I realize that, oh no, a marriage is about us having the fortitude to walk each other home, walk each other to that sacred space without as well as the sacred space within, and that's what the conflict within our intimate relationships are supposed to do. We're running into ourselves where we have to ask those questions of what is the common donation, I'm the common denominator here, what does that mean? And then really be able to look at our partners and go, Okay, for some of us, we didn't choose the right partners, and so it's time to move on. For some of us, we chose the perfect partner that is the perfect mirror that is consistently going to help us get through our shit, cleaning it up along the way.
Speaker 2: The piece too, that obviously, with your book out will when the stars it'll be out and the press talking about how okay, you've been separated since twenty sixteen, and that's kind of been the the storyline of certain pieces of the book. And you know, I'm curious, it's listen, it's not. It's not for us to and even though I'm going to ask the question, but that's y'all's decision to do what you want to do, right as someone who I also that for me the in between and I've is where my depression comes in at times. And so I'm curious, like in your in between because right now, it's like I saw on the I think it was another interview, you said, we are life partners and that's a beautiful thing. Can you still have that and still like do you want to find a way to be the married couple again or is it something where do you have hope for love in a different area while still having a life partner yeah, or are you still just trying to figure it out? Because I'm like, I want you to have love and like you know, like my very you know tail heart, I'm just like I just want you to not feel that in between of like, well, yes we're not going to get divorced, but also that's fine, but you can also experience an amazing love too.
Speaker 1: I don't know, does that make sense?
Speaker 3: It does make sense, and right now, you know I talk about it in the book, but the situation at the oscars definitely brought us closer in a different way, right and right now, just we're still figuring it out because there's such deep love between us, and we've just been going through such like the Oscar situation forced us to have to go into even a deeper healing process than ever before, right even though it was starting before the oscars, but after the oscars, it's when it was like, okay, this is all on the table, right And so right now we've just really been enjoying like healing together and really figuring out how we want to how we want to do this right now. We don't want to be divorced, and we are really moving closer together. And so I wish I could say that I knew exactly what the landing place was going to be, but I just don't know yet. We're still working at it.
Speaker 1: And that's okay.
Speaker 2: But I think there's something beautiful about a new relationship. And that's something that obviously mine and my ex we couldn't figure out because there was I think so much resentment and on all sides. But I think there is beauty in that new relationship. And obviously you stood by his side during that time when you were sitting there not with him, and no one knew that, so you were sitting there as a supportive wife. And then you're getting the comments and the hate and I you know, you obviously talked about in the book about the eye roll and all the things that people made up. And I can't even imagine I have like the point zero zero one percent of the haters. And for you, it's like having people and you even talk about this like of course they're going to blame the woman. It's the woman's fault that he went up and did that, and or it's you know, the iyrol, all all those things, and it's like, I hated that you even had to It's not that you defended yourself you talked about it, but that you it was even something that had to be spoken about because no one knows the crap that you have to deal with from all the public and all the opinions. So was there a piece of you that was like, I'm going to share my story because I want to, or because you just didn't want the narrative being told for you.
Speaker 3: I thought it was just a worthy story to share, right, because it was what my journey has been in regards to like coming from this space of lack of self worth to feeling so worthy that I could sit in that fire in that way and be okay, Right, and so to me it was almost like a culmination of like, all right, just when you think okay, Jata, you feel worthy, you're about to get really tested right now, right? And I think for all of us our journeys might not be that extreme, but those moments where we've done a certain amount of work and then we've landed and gone, oh man, I'm in a totally different place than I was five years ago. Right, we have these these points. So for me it was so important to share my worthy journey because I feel like that is the journey for all of us, trying to find that level of self worth where we can just be okay, we can feel okay no matter what is happening, because life is going to do what it's going to do. Life is never gonna always present itself as pleasurable, blissful, enjoyable. We're gonna have our painful moments, right, So who are we when shit gets real? Who are we when shit gets tough? Right?
Speaker 2: And how do you not let those voices affect you with the people that have no idea? Because I say it doesn't fact me, but it still hurts. It's hard.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 2: Defend Yeah, but how do you not let that depress you, coming from you know, the line of depression that you have had in the past, Like what do you do to steer your path the right way?
Speaker 3: That's that's when you're really sitting in that worthy pocket with everything that I've been through, Right, it's like developing, having dismantled all those false beliefs about myself and built a new foundation of what is true, right, and being able to sit with that and once again not looking for validation right from an outside source. This is once again just doing that work that builds that sense of self within that inner kingdom, right, and really knowing for a fact who I am without needing any kind of validation from anyone else. And that's really about curing self judgment. Nobody's judgment can affect you. When you have really dealt with your self judgment. It's like somebody's like, she's a bitch. It's like, I'll give you that sometimes.
Speaker 1: Oh sis this morning, actually right, It's but then.
Speaker 3: Also knowing I'm so much more than that, and that's not who I am. I might have a moment of bitchiness, but that's not who I am.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's like when you know you and you've cured your own self judgment. Other people's judgment can't be a weapon. So what I've had to do, and I talk about this in the book, I mean really that journey of self judgment started on my metal music journey because I went out there and it was so much hate. I mean, my god, I'm talking about physical The boards on the eyes Fest joints were just, you know, full of the most brutal, hateful, vile threats, right And going out on stage every day and recognizing that and I'm not going to say that there weren't real threats out there, but most of them were not, and really getting to see that people's judgment, anything anybody has to say about you is a reflection, a projection of what's going on with them. And that's when that journey really started. And that's when I had to really start thinking about why does this bother you? Why are you so disrupted? And I was like, Oh, this is about do you believe what these people are saying about you? Do you believe you don't deserve here, deserve.
Speaker 1: To be here?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: So that's the thing to look at, not what they're saying, but how you feel about what they're saying how you believe what they're saying, and.
Speaker 1: They can't strike a nerve. You can't be on the defense or live an offense, right, you know what you know, what you know, what you know to be true.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: I think my piece though, is I still have shame around some of my past or that I want to be like, No, but I've changed and I'm not that person, you know. Where that's the piece where I'm like, I have to just go rest in the what I know to be the truth today versus the past that's right.
Speaker 3: And just making peace with the past, because I'm with you on that, like on my journey. And I think as women, I think another reason why this was so important for me to write this book is because I don't believe that women often that we feel safe enough to talk about our real journeys, like the depth of it, because we feel like we're going to be ridiculed, we're going to be exiled, we're going to be looked upon as the bad woman. Right. And so I had been through Listen, I don't know any other words that people could call me, you know what I mean. It's like I've been through the gauntlet. So I felt like, YO, just offer your journey in a way that other women who are going through this can be seen. Offer your journey in a way that men who have women in their lives that they love can you can help them see those women you know, or the women that love those women, you know whatever. So for me, I just felt like, I know, when I was going through my journey and I got stuck, I so needed something that looked like reflected what I was going through, you know, just like little breadcrumbs, a bit of oxygen. And I was like, I want to offer that. I want to offer that. I want to offer those bread crumbs. I want to offer you know, that oxygen for someone who is stuck somewhere feeling hopeless.
Speaker 2: Was there a chapter in the book where I don't know if you experienced this, like where I remember when I was writing, I I could write, but when I came to the audio recording of the book, there was a chapter where I really struggled getting through a chapter and I kept crying and I had to stop. And I'm curious if there was a story or a chapter that you really struggled with.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, there were.
Speaker 1: There There was some heavy stuff in that book.
Speaker 2: I'm reading, I'm just like, you know, when you talk about the iahuasc when you talked about finding the cliff, I'm just like, wow.
Speaker 1: My grandmother, like my grandmother, that was one.
Speaker 3: That was one my grandmother.
Speaker 1: Like I cried reading that, like that is you, sister? Those were the breadcrumbs. Yeah, like the moments where I was like, now, this is some Jada I can get down with, Like this is the Jada I've been trying to get to understand.
Speaker 3: Right, right right, which is why I you know, I felt like that part of my story was so important. I felt like, I'm so glad you said that because I felt like, oh my goodness, if people don't know this, you'll never really get to, you know, the inside of me. Right. But definitely reading the parts about my grandmother and then there, you know, there was some pop. There was some parts about Pop that would just I thought that I had, you know, resolved a lot of issues around that as far as the loss of him, and you know that the story when I went to Wrikers and had to leave him there, that was hard. So it was you know, it was pieces, it was pieces like that that were really difficult.
Speaker 1: When you closed the book and you and you decided worthy is done the book itself. What's the main feeling that came over you as like a woman and author a daughter? Mama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just I was just so happy. I was happy that I accomplished it because it was so many times when I just wanted to quit. I was just like, I don't want it, I'm done, you know it.
Speaker 1: Just why it was the noise?
Speaker 2: Was it just the challenge of the book writing process, the emotions.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, it was. It was a really challenging process because you know, I'm not writing about the entirety of my life, right, I decided to specifically walk the eggs out lands, specifically walk the shadow lands of my experience, so every excuse you feel me. So I was in the valley of the shadow of death the entire time.
Speaker 1: It's heavy, it's heavy, right, It's real though, it is like palpable, like you can feel it.
Speaker 3: Right, And that was the thing, because I had to go back and relive it all.
Speaker 1: You know what, But you did it so beautifully. I mean, you really did.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I really, I mean, it just makes a person who I mean, I have to just be completely honest with you. I had no idea what to expect from you, Jada the Woman today, Right, I think that's what this book does. I think that's what being able to sit I mean, listen, did I ever think that Kristen from the middle of nowhere, Michigan was ever going to get to sit with Jada Pinkettsmith and ask questions like woman to woman? Ever? Did I think? Did I ever think this was going to be my best friend? You know, and we do worll deep because we will cut for each other. But like, it's crazy for me to be able to like sit with you. You're so disarming. I think that's one thing I do want people to understand when they listen to this, because I will be honest with you. The perception that media has given me of you is wildly unfair. Yeah, your strength. They love to edit to make your strength feel like you are just like hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah that I'm steel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And some of that is true and good, but a lot of that is wrapped in this like really beautiful woman who just is being really super honest. Thank you, And we all needed a minute. I mean I needed to know that about you, right.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, and you know from woman to woman. I just think that that's why I feel it's so important that we share our stories so that we can we can understand the nuances, so that when we see somebody, like when I see a strong woman and I'm like, oh, oh, she's got a difference, it's like I know how to like, all right, let me just like, let me, let me dip over here for a minute and see if I can get around this corner and get around the next corner. You know what I mean. It's like because there's certain walls that I understand because I've had them too, you know, but I can look and see there's more there, you know. So as women, as we as we share more of our stories and we understand these different nuances of one another and just help each other, just help bring each other out, you know, create safe space like you guys are creating today for me, you know, so that we can just have real talk, because at the end of the day, that's what we don't have enough of, you know, I have enough real talk amongst us, you know, so that we can really understand the heroine's journey, our journey from a feminine perspective. And when I talk about feminine. I'm not necessarily talking about gender. I'm talking about energetically as well, because we have men that that you know, on their journey, their heroine's journey, when they've accomplished everything they've accomplished in the world and now the only place to go is the inner world of feelings.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and you even said too in your book, like I'm going to be there by a side, but he also has to figure it out. And I love that too, because I can't. You can't make anyone happy. And I learned that lesson you know, for me too, like he can't make I can't make him happy, Like I'll be a I will stand by you, but I can't do it for you, and you have to do it.
Speaker 1: You have to do it.
Speaker 2: And that's something too that I was like, Wow, I was like truth when I hate, and you know, I'm like, that's all of that is so true. And you know, to kind of wrap up first of all, I love that you put in all the amazing quotes in the book too, and the meditations and in the poems. Yeah, I mean so beautifully. While done, I just I cannot wait for everyone to read this And what what do you want the biggest takeaway to be for people that pick up this book.
Speaker 3: You know, honestly, I'm just hoping that the biggest takeaway is just like what you guys shared with me today is that you were like, there's so much in here that I could relate to. There was so much in here that gave me, you know, oxygen. You know. It's like that to me was the reason that I wrote this book because I feel like our journeys to self worth are pretty universal, and you know, and and it's it's it's it's not always expressed what it takes to feel whole as a woman, you know, and so and it because it's a it's a it's not a for the faint at heart, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's also something too. I want to say, it's okay to not tell the whole truth of things when you're still trying to figure things out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because.
Speaker 2: Some people it's like, yeah, so you talked about the entanglements on Red Table Talk. You didn't say like, there's pieces, but that's okay, Like not everybody gets to like you are being open and willing to be authentic and share your story, but there are also pieces that people think they just get to take it all.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 3: You don't and that's the truth, and you get to control that absolutely, and you know, you know, just getting people to understand that, you know, my relationship with Will is what it is. It's not going to look like you know, it's probably not going to look like the way everybody wants it to look like most likely, you know, and people just gott to be with that because we're that's okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: As long as you know that you are worthy of love and you feel loved and you feel safe, like that is my biggest wish and prayer for you, that you can just like you know that in your soul that you're worthy of the greatest love, not just relationally but just in life, and you have that with your kids and you have it's not just a man too, which is I always equated it to a man, Yeah, but like there's so much other forms of love. And as long as you feel worthy and people that read this book know that they deserve worth, that is when your life starts to change and you don't have to feel the heaviness of it all.
Speaker 1: I do also love that you and Will are still married, Like I just need a minute with that, because that's not common either. I mean, sis, it's like divorce core all over the place. I mean, and I'm on my second husband, so but I'm just you know, like I'm in a relationship. And my husband is an artist, right, so that comes with its own thing, and he has his own thing, and he is a sweet leo. But he loves himself some attention and some validation and he's up shaking it and getting it, you know. And I love that too. But we are in over the last probably thirteen fourteen months, a real reinvention of who we are as a married couple too. And we've been together nine years, and I is there points in our marriage where people would go, why wouldn't y'all, why would y'all even be together?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I just appreciate that you can be real that marriage is not easy. Is not the fairy tale. I mean, I we just celebrated an anniversary. I said something similar on Instagram because people always like, oh, I should had a couple goals, and I'm like, no, y'all just see what I share because I'm trying to keep it positive. But I also was just like, this is not the movies. This is the kind of love you sit down with your grandkids and say, shit is real and we still tried.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And I really love that about you too, even not knowing anything about you too. I just love that you're like we are still We're close, and we're fighting for each other.
Speaker 3: We are just trying to figure it out, you know. And it's like what we have tried everything to get away from each other, right.
Speaker 1: And I feel that too, but.
Speaker 3: It's so but you know, we just have so much love for each other.
Speaker 1: And we respect too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all of that, like that is the reinvention. When you talk about reinventing, like Will and Iron such a different, beautiful phase.
Speaker 1: And how long of you and Will been together?
Speaker 3: Okay, so always funny, it's about twenty eight twenty twenty eight years, twenty nine years, yep.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're not reinventing, then at some point you're just chilling, right, what are we what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Right? And so you know, we're both transforming so much and just being able to have each other in this in that process and being willing to be there for one another.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like a beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: That's that's my road dog.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. I love that he's our road dog too.
Speaker 2: Jada Jada so much. I just I love you and again you are anytime you're in Nashville. Please like, let me.
Speaker 1: Just let me just hug you once, Jada, let met you too long, girl, Just let me get in here. I needed you today. You are a really beautiful human.
Speaker 2: We'll do some red wine and just kicky yes please, okay, all right, Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: FUND appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys. Oh, Jada Jada, I feel so like relieved or something.
Speaker 1: Is that a weird feeling to have. It's not because I was nervous. It's more so because it's like I think I was a Will Smith fan first. Yeah, are we all? I knew him first. I don't know. I just fresh prince forever, you know. And so I feel like any discourd or anything you see, you're just kind of like m you know, and like he's growing right also growing up thirty years in the public eye or plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting too in the book how she said that she thought the whole slap thing was a skit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he had kind of heard around the world I know. And that's and then everybody had an opinion about it.
Speaker 2: I know how they spun the whole in which she again she talked about she's like a right, let's talk about the eye roll.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this in the book.
Speaker 2: And it's I but also her sitting there having to pretend that they're Mary, you know, when they're separated. The whole thing is just like I.
Speaker 1: Think people sometimes forget, like what would it be like, I mean, Jamma, even in the time we've known each other, Like, can you imagine if there was a camera on me? Uh? I mean, friend, legit, I have some said and done some shit probably you know, Like it's unfair. It's just unfair. It's beautiful that you all put yourself in the public eye. I think it's admirable. It's also I'm just never envious. I've said that to you, I say that to her. Is that it almost everybody.
Speaker 2: Well, I think she's walking through it really, really gracefully. And there is a piece too where I remember when she did the table talk stuff where and then about the whole entanglement stuff and then now saying she's so My first thing was like, well, the why not just be all honest. Well, you know what, sometimes when I was too honest, that's when I don't have it figured out. That's when it's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also like, I don't know that I've ever had everybody figured out enough to go public with anything, right, right, I mean I haven't still don't. Well, I love you, I love you, and thank you for sharing your people. I needed today. I actually needed a lot of that book too. The cover is beautiful too. Yeah, all the little pieces of her creating her own ODO.
Speaker 2: So everyone go get the book. Worthy by Jada Pinkett Smith will be back next week.
Speaker 3: Bye.