Speaker 1: Welcome to my show.
Speaker 2: I'm Rashon McDonald, a host of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, where we encourage people to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning your own. Now, you don't want to miss an episode, so please take a moment right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversations Masterclass.
Speaker 1: It's free.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on iHeartRadio, app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast. New Money Making Conversations Masterclass episodes drop daily. I want to keep you on alert because my guests provide tips on how you can uplift your community, improve your financial planning, motivation, or advice on how to be a successful entrepreneur. Now, let's get this podcast started. My guests founded a faith based nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering women to heal, lead, and build sustainable impact in their families, communities, and the marketplace. Through her framework, women are equipped to rise with confidence, steward resources wisely, and walk boldly in their guard given purpose. Please welcome to the Money Making Conversations in Manster Class. Car Let James, excuse me, doctor car lect James, how you doing, doctor James?
Speaker 3: I am awesome, Thank you, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Now you down in Las Vegas, Nevada, I am hell loo. Are he born and raised there or you moved there?
Speaker 3: I was raised here. I was born in San Francisco, but I grew up here. Left many times and winded.
Speaker 2: About Okay, cool off air you was talking about AI. AI is a dominant form of conversation. In fact, I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and I actually got in a car with no driver and felt comfortable with that car driving me around the city.
Speaker 1: In fact, I was a lot more comfortable. I didn't have to tip.
Speaker 2: I didn't even have to tip, driver didn't ask for a timp, just let me out and I would all buy my business. So for me to have that experience was unique because technology is in front of us and is not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Talk about why you value AI so much.
Speaker 3: Because it makes life simplified. I am of an age group that finds it a little intimidating and scary, and so my dedication is to help them navigate through it and not be afraid of it. It is simply a tool. It's going to be a good tool in a good person's hand, it'll be a bad tool in a bad person's hand, but it is something that will definitely simplify your life.
Speaker 2: You know, I am old enough to have went through dial telephones.
Speaker 1: Then you know remote remote was a big deal. Got a remote TV the house. You know, I got the little cell phone.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden when the era of the iPad and now you know you can talk to somebody around the world and visually see them. That's what technology is to us today. Now when you talk about your lying, that's effect which is a business model. Now, how does it help women move from purpose to profit with our co comprimising their values, Doctor James.
Speaker 3: It first teaches them their identity. Once they know who they are and they can embrace their uniqueness, then they can utilize that as their superpower. So once that happens, then you can start to step out in your true, authentic self, build business, be authentic to your clients or your customers because of who you are. But it starts with knowing who you are and identifying that, not trying to be anybody else, not trying to walk in anybody else's lane. So your authenticity is your empowerment. I call it your superpower.
Speaker 2: Use that word a lot, superpower. Why do you use the word superpower so much? And why is it important that you educate people to purpose as to why you're using it.
Speaker 3: Superpower means that for me, I'm a woman of faith, So for me, superpower means that you've taken the super of God, put it on your own natural and you've been in powers buy it. So that's why superpower is very very important to me.
Speaker 2: You know, women, I grew up with six sisters, I have two brothers that come from a big family, and there are so many challenges that women have to deal with, you know, you know, the looks become a part of it, how they dress become a part of how they talk, to have kids or not to have kids. So there's so many variables that are put in front of a woman. How do you motivate women to still seek out their dreams despite all these stereotypes of what they should look like, what they should do, and how they should educate themselves.
Speaker 3: Again, it goes back to your identity. If you are trying to be what culture you said that you are, then you're going to miss who you are authentically. We are on television, women being portrayed as a certain way. So I'm like you, I've grown up through all the different I can remember back in the day when there was model tweeting Twiggy and we're told you need to be twitting as an African American woman, just say.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, right right.
Speaker 3: And so we needed to be able to love who we are, love our own skin, love how we were created to be so, and not try and emulate what culture has said. Even in the business community as we transition, we've gotten much better now see on boards when our CEOs and CEOs. But there was a time when the only thing you were good enough to do is be a secretary and other people right, Okay, you know your potential, but nobody else wanted to give you that chance. So you have to be comfortable enough to go forward and who you are without trying to be that bull in the China cabinet. I'm not trying to make waves. I am just trying to make room for who I am.
Speaker 1: Preach girl, Preach doctor Jay. You know you kind of got close to the camera on that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this is good because you don't people were passionate would drive success. But let's talk about some of the questions, you submit it because they were really good. Now, one of the questions was one of the biggest mindset and structural mistakes women make that prevent them from monetizing their expertise.
Speaker 3: That they're not good enough, that they are not enough just in who they are, and they based out on something that somebody said to them back in the day or something that they said to themselves. We can be our biggest limitter if we are not in the proper mindset. You'll hear me go back to ideay. I need to know who I am authentically so that I can appreciate that and not doubt it. Our uniqueness pushes us forward if you let what somebody told you so, maybe a teacher told you you weren't smart enough, right, Maybe a parent didn't allow you to express yourself now respectfully, but to express your conversations that no, a child needs to just be seen and not heard. You remember that back your day, and so you limited that because you didn't think your voice was valuable enough to be heard. And so you have to come up from that place and understand, no, you are enough. You are enough in who you were created to be. I am a firm believer that we were created on purpose for purpose. We are not a mistake, and we are not just here because Mama and Daddy decided to have some fun one night. We are here at this point of time because we have something to accomplish.
Speaker 1: Cool. I'm speaking doctor Corlette James. She's based in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Her Faith Faith nonprofit organization is dedicated to empower women to heal lead. Let's talk about the first part, empower women to heal.
Speaker 1: Heal from what heal.
Speaker 3: From past traumas and abuses. Some of it comes from childhood abuse, some could be sexual abuse, some could be domestic abuse. Maybe you are in an abusive relationship. Others could be societal abuse because society would have put you in a box that you have to break out of. But in order to really realize your dreams and understand that your dreams are important, you have to heal from the various different abuses that caused you to limit your belief in yourself. So we help you just heal from that point.
Speaker 1: Now by healing, how does that allow you to lead? Doctor James.
Speaker 3: A hurt leader will hurt people.
Speaker 4: Okay, if you're still walking in that pain, you're not free to properly lead others to where you have been orchestrated to take them.
Speaker 3: Remember, leadership means you go out front, right, So if you haven't healed, then how are you going to help somebody else heal? If you're outfront leading, I can't take you to where I haven't been. I need to go out front, make the way and let you understand that if I can do it, you can do it. So that's why healing is so important in leadership.
Speaker 2: Now, when you look at you know yourself. You know you are a nonprofit business. Why did you decide to be an entrepreneur? Even though we were a nonprofit? You're an entrepreneur, you're a small business owner. Why was that important versus just nine to five forty hours a week, a little overtime here and there, got insurance, maybe a four to one k easy way out? Doctor James? What motivates you to walk a different path?
Speaker 3: I grew up in an entrepreneurial home. Okay, my parents were entrepreneurs and and please understand that I I.
Speaker 2: Was Okay, Okay, we're gonna get back to that question. Because you were in that world and now you're empowering people to not really basically have a voice, because in that world of a corporate structure, let's be honest, you don't have a voice.
Speaker 1: You don't have a voice, do you manage?
Speaker 2: You're doing business for what that company wants, and they have a brand they want you to maintain. So your voice is that brand. I don't care who you work for, what corporation you work for. Just like my company, I'm allowing you to work for me as long as you exercise the brand. I want you to project a distributor for me. Now, with that being said, you were fifty seven years at this company, but on the side you had this this superpower organization for women.
Speaker 1: How did you balance that?
Speaker 3: Because the Lioness war your kingdom is my passion.
Speaker 1: Okay, who I am? Okay, I am the Lionness.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is who I am. And you said something very very important. You your voice is the brand of who you're working for. If you're working for yourself, then your voice is your brand.
Speaker 2: You have a website, your social media because I want the people to become engaged and do research to find out about you and just don't go to Vegas to gamble this This superpower queen is waiting on you to change your life dot to call. Let James talk about your website and your social media.
Speaker 3: Mianus waryokingdom dot com.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass. No need for you to do me a favor right now to follow our subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe money Making Conversations. Welcome back to Money Making Conversations master Class with me Rashaun McDonald.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: You know faith based as a lot of people start their profits, but they tend to struggle, you know, like our business.
Speaker 1: Let's going to be real.
Speaker 2: All businesses start to struggle in the beginning unless you have a plan that people want to become engaged with or want to buy your products. But faith based businesses tend to struggle even more. Talk to us about that and how have you been able to over coming But you were smart, you're a full time job and you're developing your brand part time, but not everybody does that.
Speaker 1: Talk to us.
Speaker 3: So part of my My strategy is incorporating the Kingdom into your business. Okay, the minus affect business model does not separate your faith from your business. All right. It's not that you're out there preaking to your customers or your clients, but you're being authentic to your faith and your core value as you're out there. And so it's it's combined. And because of my my over thirty forty years.
Speaker 1: Come speak to you. I'm gonna change something.
Speaker 3: I'm changing.
Speaker 2: You don't want to make conversations with Rashan Mcdonald'm tell you them, Doctor James.
Speaker 1: I don't allow age to be an excuse.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking you guys might be listening on your podcast. You might be Oh, Year's ex Sam or something like that.
Speaker 1: This woman's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I don't know what she's been doing for fifty years, but she got about another fifty years the way she's looking working for herself. So please, if you have anything to take away from Rashan McDonald, project your greatness, because you can't accomplish what you're trying to accomplish unless you have lived a life. You cannot talk to a potential lyingness if you don't have examples of how you can live your life through your example. Long jeredy means something, doctor James. So it's back to you now let me.
Speaker 3: Say this, and because I'm proud of it, I'll be seventy this year.
Speaker 1: There you go, come on now, so you.
Speaker 3: Know, and it's something that I put out there because I want women to understand. You can dream at any age. It's pivot at any age. You can walk out there and start something totally brand new at any age. And so it's important to know, like I was trying.
Speaker 1: To it on it. I know you money maken sessions since.
Speaker 3: I was thirteen years old, so I was out in the workforce over fifty years. But as as an executive, I bring that that business acronym into what I teach with the lioness effects. So I combine the business aspect along with the Kingdom morals and values to teach absolutely.
Speaker 2: Let that be out here. How can women stop overserving and under earning while still leading with integrity and purpose? Talk to me about that, because they they choices. Okay, it's just choices about the way they look, the way they act. What are those choices?
Speaker 3: There's choices about your whole person, right, all right? Because again, even if you're on the job, you're still your brand. You're still who you are, all right, So don't don't be hesitant to speak up. You know, don't don't tell me your light. You were created to shine, So don't tell your light whether you're on the job or your business. Be authentically youth and speak and dress the part. Dress where you where you, not just where you are, because sometimes you may not be where you want to be, but dress the part where you want to be. Carry yourself in a manner that represents your bread. It's yours, whether you're on somebody else's job or not.
Speaker 1: You know, as you as you started your journey. And you're smart.
Speaker 2: I say smart because she didn't jump out there on faith with the Lioness.
Speaker 1: She had a full time job.
Speaker 2: So she was able to, I like to believe, build a better path to success because you didn't walk away from revenues.
Speaker 1: A lot of people they walk away from that revenue.
Speaker 2: Then all of a sudden they make it just rush decisions or impulsive decisions, or don't want to see it through because frustration can say then like bills are do and things of that nature. Talking to my listeners, being the fact that you decided to do to do two things at the same time and still give one hundred percent effort. How were you able to accomplish that? Doctor James, I use.
Speaker 3: Wisdom, seriously. I use wisdom to navigate what it is that I needed to do, and I had to prioritize my time. It's what I know that during a certain time of the day, my time is allocated to that job because they're paying me to do a job. They're not paying me to do my nonprofit. So I dealt with that now being an executive out there in the business world, my time was very valuable. And the fact that it wasn't a nine to five. You know, when you're in that c swee area, it's not a nine to five. But I still allocated time to pursue what I was passionate about. And even all the job, there were women that I mentioned on the job, so I was still to who I was women, that's what we're all to do and using wisdom and how you do it so that you don't get fired.
Speaker 2: She has a business model called the Lioness Effect. It helps women move from purpose to profit with our compromising their values. I want to go back to that line right there, move from purpose to profit with our compromising their values?
Speaker 1: What are you saying there? And when you.
Speaker 2: See it happening, how do you help someone correct what you deem as a problem.
Speaker 3: Going from purpose to profit is taking your your passion to a place of monetization. And that was something that I had to learn to do because I have a heart to serve and to give, and so it had to I had to stop and put a value on what I was giving. And a lot of times, when you're just giving everything away, it is not valued by that other person as much as if they put value on it, and that'll come from their pockets sometimes, So you have to learn and navigate the waters. I've been in ministry since nineteen ninety two, so giving was part of who I was. However, I'm still in business as well, and so there is a value on what I give you and what I offer you. My time is valuable and I have to learn that. So what I try to teach people to correct what they're doing is to value what they're serving. What is it that you're giving your customers, What is it that you're giving your clients and put value on that.
Speaker 2: Now that's important that you're saying that because of the fact that when you start doing actionable plan as the actionable items you know, you know, how do you give advice to clarify their value, their position, their expertise, and increase revenue because that's the bottom line, you want to make more money. So what actionable steps can listeners take immediately to clarify their value from you? From the model? Did you be we're really talking to women? The line's effect, that's your business model. Talk to us?
Speaker 3: What would you pay for I paid no question.
Speaker 1: You came out so strong to me.
Speaker 2: I got to start answered, well, I pay for value, doctor James. I went to you had me in class mode. Okay, doctor James, I pay for value?
Speaker 3: What you pay for what you're offering somebody else?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Would it be valuable to you? And how much would you pay for it? What would it be worth to you to receive it? That's the first place that you have to start. If you wouldn't buy what you're trying to sell to somebody else, then why are you trying to sell it to somebody else? What is the quality? Not the quantity, but what is the quality in what you're offering? Have you brought it up to with a level of excellence. So the quality speaks to the price tame because if it doesn't, then you're spinning your wheels and you're not aligning yourself with who you should authentically be. As again, as a person of faith, you should be going over and above what the natural would be, because that's what God does for you. He goes over and above what He gives unto you, and you should follow that model. So what would you buy from you?
Speaker 1: Right, that's a beautiful question. I live on that motto.
Speaker 2: I said, people pay you on how they value you.
Speaker 1: You know, people call you if they see value to call you.
Speaker 2: Now if you don't position yourself, if you if you're a person at parties all the time, where they only want to call you when they want to go.
Speaker 1: To a party.
Speaker 2: If you're a person they seek strong mentorship where they gonna call you when they need advice. You get raised at you will get a raised at your job if people that person sees value in the work that you're consistently doing. But in the end, there are different layers about freedom and how to build wealth, and that's what we're talking about on money making conversations wealth building, and a lot of people want to win the lottery, which is a process over there, and if you spend enough time playing a lottery, you're gonna win something.
Speaker 1: How do you build wealth under the model that you call the Lioness.
Speaker 3: I look at wealth from various different avenues. I look at wealth first and foremost by the wisdom's walking there, okay, because wealth is not always monetary. Wealth can carry a whole lot of different things. My biggest wealth marget is the legacy that I'm leaving. What am I leaving behind? Because that's wealth, that's wealth, And then we start to build on the monetary. But first and foremost, what is it that you're leaving behind in the lives of the people that you're serving, your clients and your customers. Again, quality first, excellence. These things will build wealth for you because people will pay for quality. People think that, you know, you have to have to serve things that are cheap to make money because if I get something from you and it doesn't last, I'm not coming back to you, right. But if I get something that imparts something within me and it lasts, that's what the real of the old commercial with ZENI the quality to go here before the name goes on. Right, that's how you build wealth. Make sure you put the quality in before your brand your name goes on.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about talent then, you know, you know, because a lot of people are talented out there, but talent is never a guarantee or is not a guarantee to build wealth. How do we menture people to understand that talent is only one of the values that you can have.
Speaker 1: If you got it, you.
Speaker 2: Win it, okay, But there also have to be some other steps that you need to put in place for long term success.
Speaker 1: Because you're talking about the word legacy.
Speaker 3: Know you're Lane. If you're talented and you're a creator, you may not be a business person. You may have to bring somebody alongside you to build your business. You're the talent, You've got the vision, you're the creative person. Know you're Lane. If you're not good at business, bring somebody alongside you to help me with business. If you're not good at marketing, what somebody alongside you to help you with marketing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: No, you're lean and operate in it and that also will help you build wealth.
Speaker 2: That's important to say. I'm talking Todude, the one and only, Doctor Corlett James. You know, she made sure you know her daddy's name was caught, so they just added let on to it. She's West Coast girl now living in Las Vegas, changing lives, work for a job, fifty fifty years You one of these people, doctor James.
Speaker 1: You know you say, I'm about turn seventy.
Speaker 2: You know, in public, you see people you go, I know, I don't look like that, don't you do?
Speaker 1: I know I don't lie, am cause I do it all the time. I go, I don't walk like that, I don't dress like that.
Speaker 2: Because to live a good life, doctor James, as we close out this interview, there has to be a plan. You've been planning to look like this, to talk like this, talk about that, because a lot of people don't understand that. I've been thinking this way since I was eighteen years old. I met a gentleman. He was like thirty years old, and we were playing basketball in the park, and I thought he was like my age, and he struck me so much. He said, he said, don't live your age, live your life.
Speaker 1: And that stayed with me.
Speaker 2: And so the way I walk, the way I talk, the way I present myself is because that is the life.
Speaker 1: I want to have. How are you doing it, doctor James.
Speaker 3: I have made a declaration that I will never get old. I will get older. Therefore, I'm gonna keep going. I'm gonna keep going as long as I got breath in my body to keep going. I agree with you. I see some of my friends and they don't look like I love. But I made a decision and a choice at thirty two years old, a coup up out of the street and take better care of myself, and that made it different in how I am today at almost seventy. It's like you have to make decisions about how important are you right and then carry yourself accordingly.
Speaker 2: That's right. She made me respond to her. I thought she was talking to me. I thought she was out. Thought I was in high school responding to it. But she's a brilliant person who's living in Vegas.
Speaker 1: Doctor. Call that, James again, the line. That's effect. That's her business model.
Speaker 2: It helps women move from purpose to profit with are compromising their values. Thank you for coming to on Money Making Conversations, master class. It is definitely a blessing. I got to say that with you because this is a whole conversation about faith and walking in your faith and being a faith driven person.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you too, Thank you for listening to this episode. No, I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Keep