Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another edition of All the Smoke Day two in La. Anyway, man, we got a special guest today, three times Super Bowl champ just all around good dude, Julian Edelman.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: My god, the world needs to know that. Man, you had a long night out together.
Speaker 2: We'll get there, get there, We'll get there, We'll get you recently played the April Fool's joke and said you were coming back to play with Tom again. Obviously a joke, but any doubt in your mind that you still want to play football.
Speaker 5: No, I mean it was a joke, April Fool's joke target market, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know they say they say they say jokes, hold hold a little bit of truth.
Speaker 3: Nah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you definitely have competitive juices that are always flowing in your in your body as an athlete, especially if you think you could still do it. Last year, it was tough because it was still very familiar in my mind, like the agony of being an older player in the league having to do so much more to take care of your body. Now it's you know, I've had that year to like get over that, and you know, now I'm in the mindset where like, all right, my body feels kind of good. You know, Hey, yeah, it's not hurting like it did in certain ways. I know, I'm not putting the same amount of loadage on it. I'm thirty five, turn thirty six.
Speaker 3: It's still old. It's it's not to us, I mean football football years is I mean what they take. You can't you can't.
Speaker 5: You can't even you can't put Brady in the conversation. That's like an oxymoron, right, it's how old he's.
Speaker 3: It's different, Yeah, especially to you.
Speaker 5: You're you're out there running routes and and and and catch the balls and taking big hits. Yeah, it's I mean it's still hard. Blocking, that's very tough. I think it's more of the constant grind of like practice, you know, cutting and really working on your craft and redlining your body so much to get the best for Sunday and for the season and for like longevity and staying healthy. You have to redline so much that it breaks you down. So you know that, That's what I was dealing with. So how has retirement between you? It's been good, you know, I transitioned to inside the NFL, which streams on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 3: Of course you guys, you.
Speaker 5: Guys know that in Paramount Plus, uh in the family, in the family, in the family, which has been good, great group of guys, Ray Lewis, Brandon Marshall, Phil Simms, JB. You know, can't forget about Mike Irving and to get to sit down with legends of the game and talk ball and keep your mind in the game. That was a great transition for me. It was very new sitting in front of the camera and having to learn how to you know, perform. I didn't have any prior experience. You know, B marsh he was doing it while he was playing, Like then he transitioned into it. You know, the other guys have been doing TV for ten plus years, so you know, there was an intimidation factor. But then it got me back to like that rookie year mode when you're trying to make a team.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a new craft.
Speaker 5: You got to like get back into that rookie mode where you just got to work hard, work on your shit and you know, go from there and try to.
Speaker 3: Put it together.
Speaker 2: What are some of the other business things you're in because you got your hands all over and I just love for fans to always hear you know how versatile we are in the business space.
Speaker 5: We're not stuck to any one thing. We're all over the place. So what's some stuff we got. I have a production company, Coast Productions. We're in development with two shows, a scripted UH comedy and then a DOCU series. I can't get too far into it. We're producing a podcast which I'm doing with Sam Morrel, which will be really fun. It's like a historical UH sports podcast, which it's gonna be a fun thing to do. We're developing that which you guys gotta come on for sure because of some basketball stuff. We gotta get your take, you guys. You know you guys know how to get the ratings. You know you tickets and you know I've been I walk into this place. I'm sitting here like, look at this. This is professional, this is so. This is d one not a kid. We used to say, ma, d one because you wanted to go D one school nuts. But now that I got that, you know, we got a merch company that we still do. We're very heavily involved with UH, you know, the Boston market. Still we still I still love and support everything Boston does. And then uh, you know put me in as a charity charity organization that I'm working with that I partnered with, which uh you know, we help kids that have incarcerated parents, you know, mentor them to get you know, sporting goods, mentoring, you know, trying to get these kids, you know, on that right schedule. So I love because the cars are dealt with, you know, you try to help them get theirs right.
Speaker 2: Love to hear that you touched on something that I want your perspective from, because I'm sure it's unique the sports fan in Boston and just the culture of sports. And I know you're someone that jumps to Celtics games and obviously you're run with the Pats and the rings, but what is that to people who I've never I'm a pro athlete, and I got a taste of it going in and out, like the people that will never experience what that sports town really means and what it's like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Boston is you know, it's there's no like regular seasons like summer, fall, winter, It's Bruins, Celtics, Pats, and.
Speaker 3: You know that's how they go by the seasons, that's.
Speaker 5: How they go by seasons, you know, and Red Sox forget the Red Sox, I know, I know, uh, you know, I grew up in the Bay Area, so I was very accustomed to a pro sport team city area. You know, we didn't have big college football. We liked the Niners, the Giants, and the Warriors. You know, the Sharks were expansion team. So I kind of got that in back in like those early nineties, late eighties with some of those really good baseball teams, the Niners or the Niners, you know. So I got that, and then I moved over to Boston and it was like a whole different level level. I mean, just the history that each and every one of these pro teams have, like they're from the start, you know, and then being in a dynasty team as with the Patriots, and developing their history right and their their footprint and being a part of that, like you know, it's been an unbelievable experience.
Speaker 3: These people love their sports. They expect winning.
Speaker 5: I mean, you got like twenty year olds that have seen championships and every every single sport, which is ridiculous, you know, and now you know it's spoiled, it's reshaken, and you know how it goes in sport, but it's been an unbelievable place to play. People love it. Blue collar, finger in the nails. You know, it's it's been crazy. You can run from Ayrea out there if you wanted. Muddy Male Walsh, No No, no mayor here.
Speaker 3: Redwood Citywood Area are upbringing, like upbringing.
Speaker 5: Had an older brother seven years older than me, so he was always whooped my ass. So I was like a real small kid, never took ship from anyone because of you know, I had an older brother, wasn't scared of no one, and you know that kind of created a.
Speaker 3: Chip on my shoulder.
Speaker 5: Played baseball, basketball and football until high school.
Speaker 3: Was a late bloomer, had to go junior college.
Speaker 5: Went to Juco College of San Mateo to get re recruited quarterback. Falled out there, ended up going to Kent State after that, played three years there and ended up getting into the league.
Speaker 3: You know, I was always the.
Speaker 5: Tough white kid that was more athletic than anyone thought that that he was. I was always the only only guy there, only white guy there.
Speaker 3: Hanging out with all the fellas.
Speaker 5: You know, So like I grew up around That's what I know you know, and then dipping into you know, getting in the league and you know, being in that kind of locker room and having to reinvent myself and become you know, a receiver that was like a whole different, you know category. So that's that's what my upbringing was that helped me get to where I'm at right now because everything that I had to go through as a young kid, being a guy that was overlooked, wasn't big enough, wasn't fast enough, wasn't strong enough, but was always the best, you know what he.
Speaker 3: I was always there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So so having to deal with that, it helped me in my future to deal with getting in the league and hearing.
Speaker 3: Those same types of things.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I think everything happens for a reason, and uh, you know, everything is laid that foundation to get me to where I'm at right now.
Speaker 3: You said other sports it wasn't nice, and hope now I wasn't nice. I was athletic. I was a football player. Can dumb basketball? Huh? Stick dun't No, absolutely not, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: I'm Billy Hoyle out here, bro come on, No, you know, I played a bunch of aau when I was real young because I was just rat athletic h and then you know, I was a football player.
Speaker 3: I couldn't play basketball, didn't have the vision.
Speaker 5: I didn't know basketball like I knew football or you know, baseball. Baseball had too much add four was too slow. Probably should have played. That would have been a lot richer and a lot less pain, but lost.
Speaker 4: Lesser, you know. But forty nine is growing up a fort Nana fan. You got any forty nine mem because I'm sure he wants to hear them.
Speaker 3: The one that sticks out like real hard to me.
Speaker 5: I remember watching, you know, the Niners versus the Packers in the division round or the wild card.
Speaker 3: Every year they will beat us. Every year they beat us.
Speaker 5: And then that one year where Steve Young trips in his drop hits uh owens over in the middle and middle read splits, the safety puts it in there, catches it and he was dropping balls off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Game, that's what people don't really crying on the side. That's one that you know, I remember that was a big win. I don't know, man, I remember a lot of like the Jeff Garcia days.
Speaker 3: Where it wasn't very pretty.
Speaker 5: I remember, I remember remember Jerry Rice day, he had like twenty three catches.
Speaker 2: We both said the same, you know, we just become best friends.
Speaker 5: We did some karate, let's do some.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I remember I was so hurt. It was Jerry's day.
Speaker 5: It was Jerry's day. Went off, and then Jerry went to the Raiders. And then I love Key became a Raiders fan because everyone loved Jerry. And he went for a thousand in his forties, he went for a thousand. He went to the super Bowl, right, Yeah, they went to the Super Bowl rich and they lost to the Buccaneers because the center center.
Speaker 3: But that's when Gruden left the Raiders.
Speaker 5: When they went to the championship, lost the Buck or the Pats in the tuck game. Then he flipped sides, went to Tampa Bay and won it with Tampa Bay and beat the Raiders.
Speaker 4: The next year, the good old days. Enough of great segment, Enough of this segment. I was just in Jerry's world. I don't want to come from Jerry's world.
Speaker 3: To hear this. Forty nine Yeah, I don't want to hear this. Who are you any role models? Growing up? Role models?
Speaker 5: I got to say, my pops, my pops, you know, looking back on it. You know, he came grew up, you know, in the trailer park without a dad, and.
Speaker 3: He was always the example for me.
Speaker 5: You know, a five to five guy, get home from work, take me to go practice baseball, go practice basketball, go practice football, didn't matter. We were practicing everything. But he was also like a Dudley do right, you know, a guy that you know, had his own little business, came up from nothing. Uh always just always was a good example. You know, he had his fireside back in the day, you know, but like to overcome that and do what he's done to give me my opportunity and allow me to you know, leap frog our family.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: There's always like that, that parent that has to do that grind that gives.
Speaker 3: His kid the better opportunity.
Speaker 5: So then you that kid hopefully takes opportunity and makes his family even higher. You know what I mean in that, in that whatever an opportunity. So, you know, he's been a huge influence on me, you know, especially after having a kid. You know, I got a five year old girl and all those things you heard your dad say that You're like shrugging off, Fuck is this guy?
Speaker 3: Know you know, you're young dumb a little kid.
Speaker 5: You know, you're starting to see those when you're interacting with your kid and you're like, man, he was actually doing the right thing, you know what I mean. So to have that, which I don't know where he learned that, because he didn't have a pot, you know what I mean? So like learn on the fly, learn on a fly self make guy that that's always been, you know something I respect. So you touched on fatherhood obviously now being retired, you have more time and you have a daughter.
Speaker 3: What's that like? It's awesome, JACKI you got what four daughters?
Speaker 5: Five? Yeah, the little little girls baby moms. But that's another story. Hey, we're all the statistic. Nah, it's been awesome because you can actually get in her environment and and do the things in her environment. You know as a parent that I lived in Boston for twelve years, you know, first three four years of her life, and I was in New York for the last six months doing inside the NFL. She comes out for a week a month out here. Yeah, she's out here in LA So she come out for a week a month. It's not really the same. You know, it's tough, and you don't see your kid for three weeks and then you know, to have the time where even if you don't have her, you could pick her up from school, take her home and be in her environment, be around her friends. Like that's been like a huge eye opener and an awesome experience for me to get to see that, you know, taking her to soccer, practice piano, getting her to tennis, and you know.
Speaker 3: The whole you know, parent life. It's it's fun.
Speaker 5: And to see the progression from each week when like gymnastics or you see here that she struggled on the beam, and then the next week like she gets it, you know, or like soccer, you know, like scoring goals and stuff that stuff like that's pretty fun.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's one of the reason why I left early, you know what I mean. I signed a three year deal the year I ended up retiring. It was for those reasons. I was missing school stuff. I was messing sporting activities, birthdays, holidays. It's just like damn, like those are the days you can't get back.
Speaker 3: You can't, you know, and it's just crazy.
Speaker 5: You know, I grew up from I grew up in like my fam my parents were married. I'm not married, you know, with my daughter's mom and like to have that that whole. It's it's a it's a hard life, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You got a burden of you know what I mean, I please don't take me back. Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 5: So and it's a learning experience, you know, it's a learning experience and and it you know, if if you're willing to learn, and when you're green and you're growing, you know, that's that's always the best, you know, And that's what I've been learning as this has been going on. So it's been an awesome experience. Yes, there's ups and downs, but you know, as long as we're going up.
Speaker 4: True, I think the best thing about us is we don't get credit for our hearts and the people we are. Like a lot of people don't see what we really go through, you know, being a father that's not really there, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, it takes a toll on you.
Speaker 4: I think that probably the most I've ever cried and my life has been over my kids and not being there. And you know what I'm saying, and that distance and the friction that it may cause or they may cause it's not even really there. Yeah, you know what I mean, So that that dealing with that alone and be able to still be a father, a provider, protect and all that it takes a lot.
Speaker 3: And we don't get credit for that. Hey, you know it.
Speaker 5: It's very tough. Even when you don't like for when you don't have your kid, you're you're thinking about your kid, you know constantly. You know, whether it's something that you see, something comes on the TV.
Speaker 3: There's always something that minds here your kid.
Speaker 5: And so that's you know, and then you have to you're being a provider. You got to go out and perform and do what you have to do. But then you got like a natural guilt or you know, there's a lot of things. There's emotions, and that's I guess that's parenting, that's life. We're trying to just bottle these things up and.
Speaker 3: Figured it out and learn, right. I remember my mama used to tell me all the time when I was a kid.
Speaker 5: That's when you know your finders, that's when you know. That's what he just like didn't even realized the rise off. Yeah, that didn't realize that the conversation going.
Speaker 4: I remember, I remember my mama told me. She used to tell me all the time. And I used to stay out the house for like weeks and don't come home. She'll be like, one day, you're gonna have your own kids, and you're gonna see while I'm sitting in this room stressing.
Speaker 3: I used to stay going for weeks. Why you're not, why you ain't, why you ain't call it check in? Nothing like that. She's just stress and missing work and all that.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, you know, I'm all right, I'm a grown man now being away from my kids and know how things happen, know my kids traveling and playing sports and all this stuff, and I know how dangerous things are.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So now I'm in the world man crazy nowadays, world.
Speaker 2: Transitioning. You said you were a late bloomer. How tall and how much would you weigh going into high school? I was like four eleven a bus go five buck five five?
Speaker 5: Yeah that's little. I was little. I was a little kid. So like, so how tall do you know?
Speaker 3: How much you? Wait? Now I'm five ten? Probably? Like what was your playing weight? Eight? Okay? Eight?
Speaker 4: So you just just it's just a coincidence you're playing weight, but I'm two pounds under.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm saying, so it's just a coincidence you've been having all this time off and you're still playing weight. Got it here, something to it, something to stay in shape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, La, it's always sunny. Yeah. Facts. Facts. So, especially as.
Speaker 5: A retired guy, you know, I'm my body clocks all fucked up. Word, you know, you're like right now, Coachilla just happened so over like guys not in good did go? That was always like all right, we have okay next right, you know you got to be a month before that. You know you're not working out as much, so you feel, you know, it just feels weird. You're you know, because you're so we're all creatures a habit, especially as athletes, right, and the routine that we've gone through, and if you've played you know, ten plus years or something.
Speaker 3: I mean, especially from when you were a.
Speaker 5: Kid, that it's essentially the same go to school, fucking practice. Now school was just you know, go to like film and installations, which is like a class of its own, and then go to the practice. So you know, my body's been all crazy. But I was a late bloomer. I was full late bloomer. Can we do Coachail next year.
Speaker 3: Come with us. I've never been. This would be awkward. I've never been.
Speaker 2: So we just had Taylor Parsons yesterday and he drove back the morning of and he was I don't want to round him. He had a tough time just getting through the morning with us. He's just like bro, I had to fucking pull over and the rest stop and take a twenty minute power nap as he went hard.
Speaker 3: Dude, Yeah you got you can't drive that. Come on first time.
Speaker 2: The next year, we're going to get a Showtime house out there. Next year we're gonnat a Showtime house.
Speaker 5: A Showtime jet, and a Showtime Health helicopter. Yeah, they're gonna helicopters here from LA. Should we get the show here in LA and then we'll go do the show there for two or three days and then we'll go back.
Speaker 2: Lucky the boss Man is here right now. So it's just crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right behind the carra Yeah, target market.
Speaker 3: Target market, target market.
Speaker 2: Market, run the car. He said, we're in Hey. So when did you feel like was it Sam mateo Kent or was it finally when you made it? When you feel like you were on the radar as far as I know, I could really play this ship. I've always known that, but now I have a chance to take it to that next level.
Speaker 3: My whole life, whenever I played football, I.
Speaker 5: Felt like I was the best football player in the field, and I always had to hear people say, no, there's this, Like even until I got to the league, I felt like.
Speaker 3: I'm the best.
Speaker 5: I was always the best football player. I didn't care if he was faster this. I felt like I knew the game. I knew the vision, you know, how to set things up, how to run the open field. I knew how to make guys miss and know how to break tackles. I knew you know where they were going to have to tackle. You splay dB two, TVD be in the NFL for a little bit, for like a coffee, a coffee, a coffee.
Speaker 3: I mean, we'll get into that. But you know, so.
Speaker 5: I was never always the guy. So I was always having to like prove myself and I was always a guy that had to like worry about what was on my plate at that time in my life.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 5: It was like that until like five years into six years, seven years into my career.
Speaker 3: You know where you constantly have to prove yourself.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if it's like that, or if I just think like that, or if I'm just fucked up in the head where like I had to like train myself or like make myself think things.
Speaker 3: But that's how I've always felt.
Speaker 5: I never always thought like I always thought I could play football. And of course you always got a little nervous in certain situations, like your first college game or your first pro game. But after the first player, after you zone in and you've been prepared for the opportunity, you know, once the ball hits your hands, you get that first hit, you know, you're like, all right, it's football. This is the same shit I've been playing my whole life that I you know, I know this shit, you know what I mean. So I've always felt that way. And then like in my career, throughout my career, when I like the question you say, when do you feel like you were there or something like that, I remember anytime I felt like that, I ended up getting hurt or something.
Speaker 3: When I remember, like in.
Speaker 5: Twenty fifteen, we just won our first Super Bowl. In fourteen, I was going into that year like I was bawling out having career year, and I remember just sitting back like, man, this is pretty easy. You know, you're not like easy, but like like shit's good, Shit's good, you know. And we were like ten and zero end up going breaking a foot, you know. Then something happened. So then after that, like I became like all right, I can't think like that ever, you know. And and that's how I had to think. And that's how I had to have my mentality in my mindset in order for me to prepare my best.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I wasn't always you know, I was an asshole, you know, but I had to do that. I had to psych myself in a certain mindset. You guys have all played with someone like that, you know, And I'm like that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Where I had to do that to keep my play.
Speaker 2: Up right right, I'm not mad at that, I feel it. You started your career early on as a quarterback. How would you explain your quarterback and style? Kind of quarterback?
Speaker 3: Were you terrible? I just do that, could run and kind of throw. No, you know I was.
Speaker 5: I was a decent college quarterback, duel threat guy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I I look back on my throwing days and my quarterback days after playing in the league and learning little stupid things here and there, and what you if you eliminated certain things, how much better you naturally could be.
Speaker 3: And I just I was like, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Was such a dumb quarterback, Like all security was terrible throwing picks. I'd have like four or five plays like, oh my god, what's going Oh that's a bad motherfucker. But then you have like ten plays where I'm throwing the ball interceptions, all security putting the ball down like I was running around with that thing toning like a loaf of bread. So you know, I had some good plays, but I wish I would.
Speaker 2: Have took care of the football more more gratifying, like a dope ass run or just a picture perfect pass for both for touchdowns.
Speaker 5: For me, it was a passay because everyone expected it as the you know, I was that guy where I could take off and run on guys. But if I got like a good pass, that was that.
Speaker 3: Was my thing. That was him for you, gotcha, you always want what you know, you always want to do that right.
Speaker 5: The thing that you was you weakness, and that was a weak thrower. So I couldn't be, you know, NFL quarterback. But the British Columbia Lions did ask me to come and play quarterback from.
Speaker 3: See if the CFL after retired.
Speaker 5: No, after my my last year of college. Okay, So I was like debating that because I didn't I never played receiver.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't know, man, how'd that transition happened? I was just talking to Pops, and.
Speaker 5: You know, He's like, it was like a super incentive based contract where it's like one hundred grand, you get like another one hundred grand if you start, you lead top five, and past you get like fifty grand. I'm over here doing the math and I'm like, man, it's like two hundred and fifty grand. It's two thousand and nine. I'm you know, coming out of college. I'm like, that's that's a good money six figures. And then, you know, I thought to myself, like I didn't grow up dreaming.
Speaker 3: I wanted to play in the CFL. I run in the league. So that was it sounds simple enough. That was it.
Speaker 2: Seventh round draft pick thoughts going into the draft.
Speaker 3: Uh, I just wanted to get drafted period. Period.
Speaker 2: I was like a late round guy athlete. So when you were in the combine, what did you I didn't go to the combin. Okay, yeah, so I had to. I had a Pro day. Okay, I wasn't good as a receiver or as just whatever the fuck they needed. So I can kick too.
Speaker 5: Now, Yeah, I did receiver drills. The Steelers made me do like dB drills, like safety drills. They made me catch punts, kicks, whatever. They made me do a lot of things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It was crazy that the Patriots worked me out like three times, because the draft process, you go, you do your combine, then you have the pro days, then they have private workouts, then they have visits, and then the draft. So like I started getting I ran some good times. So I started getting a lot of calls for like these workouts, you know. And then like the Patriots call and they sent out their running backs coach, and I've in Fears, funny ass guy, and he he put me through some drills running back stuff, and so like then I go out and work out for like Chicago, I work out for the Miami Dolphins, and then the Patriots sent over the receivers coach. And usually teams don't work you out two times, and so I do a bunch of receiver drills. They and then they leave and I go work out for another team, and the Patriots send their special teams coordinator Scotti O'Brien, and so he makes me catch punts, does all these drills. I'm dropping balls left and right because like catching a punt, there's an art to it, you know, like and I didn't know the technique. You know, if the ball turns over with the right footed punter, if you see, you know how they turn over, then it's gonna go to your left.
Speaker 3: So you played on your right titty.
Speaker 5: You know, if it doesn't turn over and it stays up, it's gonna die and go right the other one, you know, and then vice versa for left kickers. And I had no clue. I was just over here trying to judge punts and if you know that, it is different. So I dropped a bunch of punts. I'm sitting there like I'm not getting draft by the pay. I thought I was gonna be a dolphin and these these jokers can pick me up.
Speaker 2: So it was crazy. What was your first introduction to that team? I mean, you played. You said you had a couple of coffee as a dB. When did you because Welker was well before you was he still there?
Speaker 3: He was there. I played golf for four years.
Speaker 2: Okay, so when when when did you kind of find your spot?
Speaker 3: I had. I had to make myself versatile. Okay.
Speaker 5: My first year I had like thirty six balls or forty three balls with playoffs, and Wealker got hurt and I had some production, and so like I was thinking, the next year, I'm gonna ball out Welk's coming back from the ACL and that didn't happen. Welker played, Randy played, we traded for Dion Branch and I was kind of like trying to find my way. So I was doing special teams or turning punts, h covering kicks and doing that, making plays in the kicking game to earn myself opportunity to stay on the team because they kind of moved on. And you know that next year, I had like seven balls. Next year, I had like seven balls, and then like my fourth year, you know, I competed well in camp and I got a lot of time. At the beginning of the season, broke a foot, broke a hand, so didn't really get going and it wasn't until like the next contract. I signed a one year deal After that, Welker ended up leaving, going to Denver. I signed a one year deal. They wanted a two year. I wanted a one year league minimum. And in thirteen and had one hundred and five catches for you know, a thousand yards when Welker departed. So and then I got paid and signed like a four year deal with him again. So that's when you know, I kind of got my break and my opportunity on the offensive side of the ball. But for the first like three or four years, I had to grin and I was like playing DV. It's playing fucking special teams, and you know, I loved it. You know, I was a teamer and that that's like a different player. Like those guys are usually, you know, they have to back guys up, you know, for roster spots, but they have to be a badass motherfucker on the special teams in order to make yourself valuable enough to be on a team because there's only fifty three spots, right, you know what I mean. So you know that that was my career. I had to like grind and grind and battle through injury, you know, and then once you know, I got some more opportunity and earned more opportunity.
Speaker 3: That's when you know things went well. I got to show you how good was moss Man.
Speaker 2: I was about to motherfucking ask that question.
Speaker 3: He was good? How good was he? And what was he like?
Speaker 5: Because he just sounds kind I never got a chance to meet him. He just sounds so country. Randy's country. He's the best thing about like Randy, Like in practice, you'd see these crazy catches, you know, he was just like it was so easy to him and one on ones like and he had really good judgment skill.
Speaker 3: Was when the ball was in the air, he would run and.
Speaker 5: At the last second he would just go boop and go because the dbs are waiting for you to put your hands out to hit your hands and Randy would just he would it looked like he wasn't even going and he would just rainbowed in.
Speaker 3: And just keep it and keep moving. Or he would just moss dudes.
Speaker 5: But like you know, he had the one handers all the time on the sideline. He was always really good at that. But it was always the best when Randy. Randy would fucking come in on Saturdays, which is like walk through day, mental day.
Speaker 3: Day before game. You get you you start a little later.
Speaker 5: Everything's kind of like we're just mentally tuning up, got to travel or whatever.
Speaker 3: Meetings. Randy would roll.
Speaker 5: In and every week give us like a breakdown of what happened on sixty minutes the night before. He would It would be so bunny the way he would say shit because he's country as fuck, or he'd be like this bitch over here thought he could kill his way, like even just and we would sit in our whole receiver meeting and Randy would he would tell us like, we're supposed to be watching shit, but.
Speaker 3: When you're vet, you know, he runs the meeting.
Speaker 5: And he would sit there and he would tell us about it and he'd be it was just so funny, and we'd all be dying, our receiver coach. He was a rookie at the time. Chad o'sha, he's with the Browns defense. Now he's sitting there like, yeah, Randy, can we.
Speaker 3: Get our meetings started?
Speaker 5: But he was fun Like in pre pre practiced lines, Randy was always funny, like he would just we would line up in lines offense defense. Randy would be over on the defensive side making fun of Will Fork the whole time. Will Fork's over here making fun of him. Bill roll around wagging his damn fucking whistle talking ship to Randy, Randy talking shit the Bill like he was fun to be around, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean. That's that was Randy, and he was a bad dude.
Speaker 2: So you said your first obviously a few years you were on the grind. When did you feel like you started really developing a relationship with Tom.
Speaker 5: I started to open a relationship probably the second and third year. My second and third year, because I found out he trained out here in LA and we were represented by the same agents and doing sports, and I was like, yo, let me know when he's out there, so I'll fucking pack up. I'll move to LA and train out there until he needs me call me. The first year, like one time, packed up middle of anything, fucking left everything, went out and threw with them. Called me more of the second year, they started calling me, you know, regularly, and we started working out and that's how we learned each other, you know, because I as a receiver, you're so dependent on a position with the quarterback.
Speaker 3: So let's be.
Speaker 5: Honest, you can't you can't burn the hand that feeds you. Whatever he says, goes because he's the one who's gonna get you the rock. And the more I know what he wants me to do while we're doing routes on air and he's learning my body language, he's learning how I get breaking and out of cuts. The more you know, that's when you start learning, guys. And then I already know. You know, in the middle of a play, he would say middlefield clothes and we run to change my route in the middle of the you know, the play. You know, then I'm I'm it's training you you know, your your your mind, and then you're you're figuring each other out, and you know, that's when you know. We we developed a chemistry. Was always in the off season. It wasn't until I got my opportunity because he had that. He had that chemistry. Welker Welcoer was a fucking badass dude. Dude, Welk was really good and I learned a lot from him because similar you got similar sizes. He was a little smaller actually, he was like he was like five eight, about eighty three, but he had he had these releases and his fast twitch was so insane, where like he could do like three or four.
Speaker 3: Little steps in front of like a dB that's.
Speaker 5: Pressed on him because he had such choppy feet, and the guy would commit and churned and his hip and he he could just go and get by. So his routes were really good and I got to learn a lot of stuff watching him, you know. So you know, but that chemistry that he had with Brady, I had to develop that in the offseason and that's when, you know, once I got a lot more opportunity. That's why it clicked and we were able to keep it going. Yeah, he should step right in. You said, the first year you got one hundred and five catches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would say, what's he like as a person. He's I think obviously starting to come out and talk a little a lot more. But the day to day time we only get to see that the game time.
Speaker 3: He's one of the boys.
Speaker 5: You know, he's a really cool dude. He's fun to be around. He got like dad jokes, you know, like he because he's like forty three, you know, so he'd be like throw a little joke out or something. You're like, all right, that was like funny and two thousand and three, bro, you know, so like there's banter always it's shit.
Speaker 3: Soccer.
Speaker 5: He talks, he talks, hell is shit. Yeah, Brady talks shit. Brady loves to compete in anything. Right, we go play knockout because Brady, you know, golf, Brady's competing ping pong. You know, He's gonna do everything he can to win. He's not letting up if he's playing this kid swatting him. Yeah, you know, there's gonna be a time where Little Jack's gonna be able to beat him. It's it's not for Brady's breaking his heart, you know, but you know he's that's what he is.
Speaker 3: He's a competitive dude.
Speaker 5: And it was always funny because you'd see these young ass kids that get in the locker room. And I was a young kid when I got in the league. He was like thirty three, thirty four, and then he played like another twelve. He's still playing fourteen years. So like there's like guys that were like zero, not even born, playing with the guy that they saw their whole life as just a crazy, a freaking god. I mean, he's a Michael Jordan of the sport, you know what I mean. You see a kid who's twenty two, twenty three, he's been doing that for like the last ten six years dealing with these kids. Like so he goes in the locker room and he doesn't get to feel a lot of the you know with the older teams that you know, the we're.
Speaker 3: Boys type ship, you know, because guys.
Speaker 5: Are like this dude's famous, you know, like everyone's he's had an order about him. When you walk around him with the young guys, like they're like scared to talk to him, you know what I mean, but he'll try to joke, you know. So it's it's changed, and you've seen how it's changed, and he has you know, he'll link up with his guys or something, you know what I mean. But you know, he's he's always very inviting to everyone. He's he's like awkwardly nice, but he's definitely an assassin when it comes to competing, like in anything. That was always the funnest when when like the best was always when he fucking ran for a first down.
Speaker 3: Like he would get up so fired up.
Speaker 5: It'd be a six second, three yard game, but it'd be like a third and three or something. He would get so fired up and he would get in guys faces. It's that's when that was fun and like or you play the Steelers and there was some shiit talking going on. He'll single out someone after he throw a touchdown him and go up to what do you say about that?
Speaker 3: Like his touchdown runs wasn't pretty though. No, absolutely, he's like a Clydesdale, you know, like Cadillac. The things got to get going.
Speaker 5: But it's crazy he's but that's he's a fun guy.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: What was one person I always wanted to know not to cut you off? What's Gronk?
Speaker 3: Like? He just looks like a animal.
Speaker 2: He's a big kid, and people forgot it was crazy I enough to cut you off. I saw something maybe like three weeks ago on early Gronk and how like he was a cold People forget how good he was when he first got a hot, athletic and strong and running over people.
Speaker 3: And dude, Gronk was insane. He looked I've said it so many times.
Speaker 5: He looked like an eighth grader playing against second graders in the league. Like there was a fire like a four year span where you couldn't tackle him, and that's why guys started going low at him, you know, and then he blew out his knee when they went you can't get him down. Guys will be hitting this guy and he bouncing off and he was so athletic and fast and can make catches like he I think he's the best tight end that I've seen, not just you know, in this era.
Speaker 3: But I think ever of the greatest.
Speaker 5: And what the what makes him so much different than other guys is he was a monster in the run game.
Speaker 3: Great blocker, great blocker, great.
Speaker 5: I mean he he like ended Vanderbosh's career, like he hit this guy like and that's not good.
Speaker 3: You don't ever want that.
Speaker 5: But like he was like a little ass kid like he was, and this was Vanderbosh.
Speaker 3: He was like one of the baddest dudes.
Speaker 5: I remember that in Detroit and that's when I was like, man, this guy's.
Speaker 3: A fucking beast.
Speaker 5: And then you saw him in like Washington where he's like dragging people like his early clips are insane. I mean he's still I mean, he's uncoverable still because he just he's got naturally great hands. He can judge football and he's never really covered because he's still big. But he's not you know, like those earlier gronk When you get older in football, you smart enough got to you know what I mean. There's like these little things that you would do when you're a young player, probably in basketball too, you're like, instead of like yamming on someone, you all right.
Speaker 3: We're good for my knees or you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: There's these little calculated things that when you're young you just go, and then when you get older, you're like, man, that's that's a four week injury.
Speaker 3: That's a four week sprained ankle or knee. If I make this. You know you're not thinking that, but you're you're like, that's gonna hurt. Definitely a possibility.
Speaker 4: You have the rare opportunity of playing for the same coach your whole career. Whole career legendary, the goch Bill Belichick. Was it any bad moments in that time?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say there was bad moments. There was learning moments. I mean I learned on how to be great just through example of Bill Belichick, you know, and also Tom Brady's a lot of the players, but Bill, you know, with with his formula on what he thinks is best for his football team and how disciplined he stays to that formula, like year in and year out.
Speaker 3: It's it's amazing.
Speaker 5: I've never seen like, I haven't seen complacency kick in with him on on a lot of factors, you know. And you know, it's been it's been a crazy, crazy, crazy like moments to even think about. You got to play with probably one of the best coaches of all time in all sports, you know, I mean this, dude, it's nuts. I'm super interested to see how he's gonna do going forward in the new league, because this league's changed. It's it's it's completely different. It's more like basketball. This spacing, you know, and and the playmakers on the outside is just changing the game, you know what I mean, freedom.
Speaker 3: And that shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's gonna be it's I'm interested to see how uh you know he evolves.
Speaker 4: Do you do a good impersonation? I heard and he gives a list something.
Speaker 3: A little Belichick.
Speaker 5: He's like, just demoralize you through like the simplest way of saying things. It was with his tones and like his actions. He had builtube. It was like low lights after practice he would throw on the next day in the morning, or something a bunch of shitty fundamental plays or something that we would do in practice and like if you dropped the ball on the flat or something. He would sit there and he would rewind it. And this is in front of the whole team, whole team, fucking you know, sixty guys regular season with practice squad, all one hundred guys because you got coaches and all the people upper division there, and he was sitting He would rewind it like three or four times, right where the drop is, right where the drop is, right where the drop is. Then he would fucking he would look at like the crowd of the team because it's like a pavilion, and he'd be like, you mean to tell me you can't make a wide route catch in the National fucking Football League. We got kids in Foxborough High School that can make this play. And then he would have wind it like four more times and then he would chime in again he goes like me and fucking Ernie can make this play.
Speaker 3: And then he rewind it.
Speaker 5: And then you go back and you assholes can't make that, Like that's and it wouldn't be very subtle.
Speaker 3: Right, but you would be just sitting there like if it was on you. Oh fuck Jesus, can we stop it?
Speaker 5: Just the embarrassment, like I've just seen three thousand fucking guys make this catch in this league, three thousand.
Speaker 3: Like it's just that's how he is. How's the fun Bill?
Speaker 2: I mean you said he was running around talking shit to Randy and lines like the shit talking fun side because we only get the short answer Bill.
Speaker 3: Bill's fun man. He's a competitor.
Speaker 5: The better you were, the more you could get away with them, you know, and especially with the defensive guys.
Speaker 3: He's defensive coach.
Speaker 5: So d guys are always talking shit in the happy mood because Bill would be backing them up and call it in practice. But like we would be talking shit, you know, and you'd be like fuck you in the middle of like stretching and stuff, because you kind of know we have like a third down period. It's Thursday, it's third down, and we've been emphasizing our third and short. Both team as a team are like ones versus their ones, like that whole you know, they used to call it competition period. You're not going against the scout teams, and so like we'd always just talk shit to each other, and you know, he his the way he makes fun of guys is like it's extremely funny, you know, I like in demoralizing because he can bring in like facts and players like you think you're fucking LT.
Speaker 3: I played with the best, I coached the best, fucking like he loved LT. You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: There's certain guys he think like he just seen so much football where he could just demoralize you with like something he says along those lines.
Speaker 3: I love losing to the Giants. Unbelievable season, getting to the super Bowl. I wasn't playing that much then.
Speaker 5: That was like my third year in the league when we had both the tight ends and we kind of that's when the change of like re revolutionized offense when we brought in Gronk and Hernandez.
Speaker 3: Gronk was beat up, ended up losing that game. That was That was terrible.
Speaker 5: That was That was you know, going in in the offseason the next year after a loss, and then you know when you get to the super Bowl as a team, you lose a lot of guys after the Super Bowl because contracts, everyone gets paid. You know, you win it or you get to the ball, everyone's getting paid and leaving, you know. So then we were in another rebuilding stage going into thirteen, which was like a lot of turnover, and then fourteen came and then you know, we went and won it, and then you know, we kept it going for a while, like I went.
Speaker 3: To eight straight, like AFC championship games. It's crazy. We talked about it. Eight straight, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: So you get your first ring of nine catches one O nine. I had another show before I did this, and I got the rare opportunity to sit down and talked to Marshawn Lynch on that you know, money two yards from the goal line to win the Super Bowl and they decided to throw it, you guys. So he told me how he felt and how all the dudes in the huddle were stunned. Even Russell Wilson kind of hesitated for a second. What did you guys think watching that? Like you everyone in the world knew it was going to him, and when it didn't, what was your immediate thought before even before the interception?
Speaker 5: Put in contexts, we got smoked on that fucking play all week in practice, all week in practice because like Super Bowl practice week, everyone's like tense, everyone's flying. You know, you want to feel good, play good, and so like when the defenses out usually we'd be doing things we do our work, our side work, and then we get in and we want to see it. I want to see if the defenses have been studying, you know what I mean. I want to see where they're at, if they're feeling confident. And Josh Boyce was running this little rub route like twenty times, smoking us on it, smoking us on it. And right when they went to that formation we had to like to play. I'm sitting there like they gonna fucking throw this thing, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Then it happened.
Speaker 5: I didn't know it was picked, like we couldn't see on the sideline, and then he picked it. I'm like, oh my god, we just won fucking Super Bowl. What the hell they fucking threw it. I'm sitting there like money's gonna go in. I'm going through, like, my how much time we might potentially have. We might have thirty seconds, you know, twenty six seconds? What are our plays? We have timeouts? You're going situation football. You're thinking about it, and then it happened. You're like, oh my god, thank god they threw Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stop, yeah, not stopping in that moment, you ain't stopping.
Speaker 5: More Play of the game Dante high Tower, the play before he fucking got him down here. You gotta watch the replay, Like he got him down when he was down with like an arm and he got Marshawn Lynch down with that arm.
Speaker 3: That was a huge play.
Speaker 5: And then you know, obviously Malcolm made that and then he made the play. I mean, it was in it was in their head.
Speaker 3: I remember that you.
Speaker 5: Gotta beat up, you gotta jam the first guy, and you gotta break. And that was the coaching point that they were trying to get all week, all week, the one time it mattered the most.
Speaker 3: And then boom so got it. That was nuts.
Speaker 4: The flake Gate twenty fifteen NFL spends twenty two men to investigate, y'all and suspends Brady for four games in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: But you look at her trying to get like just looking because like I said, I'm a huge football's first for me, like I was a football player playing basketball. So I love hearing the inside side of this shit because I'm a football player at heart.
Speaker 3: You think it was bullshit, yeah, duh, duh.
Speaker 5: I mean there's some bull Like if you look into the facts of this whole thing, like both teams balls were deflated, Well you know what I mean like there's a there's a whole I think it was.
Speaker 3: There was a there was a witch hunt, full witch hunt. I mean that was ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not to the point where they went like you know what I mean with all the facts and on both sides this that as much as everyone wants a bitch and a plane, and that pissed me off, honestly. Was it Baltimore or something said something to then Indy and then Indy you know, the next year we played them, I was so pumped up. I was so I was too fired up. It actually made me not play as good. I mean I balled out. I had some plays, but like it took me out of my game because I was so fucking med at in the uplist, like trying and rain up my guys, Pary.
Speaker 3: This was four, so this was a big super Bowl.
Speaker 5: This was like he just tied Joe, He just tied Terry Bradshaw, you know all the quarterbacks that had four, you know, and then like this and then he goes out the whole next year it's gone, we're good. And then we in sixteen, he fucking suspend him. Then we go out and win the Super Bowl. Like I don't know it was it was it was crazy, man, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what they were doing to receive us have a preference, uh no, more of the tack the attack of the ball.
Speaker 5: I like, because like they put those balls through like a huge Each one of those balls is like probably an hour of man work, like a game ball. With how they rub them. They put like the leather conditioners on them. They'll get like a bin of grass and they'll rub them in the grass. They'll put them in the dryer. They want they want to get that that like you want the beat up kind of broken in version. And that's what like a lot of those like that's what most of the quarterbacks do. They're all like very close to their guy. So you know, I don't really care the lot, but the tack and like the humidity outside or or you know that that's all huge, especially with what glove you're wearing and everything. I always like did a little humid with like a little tack on the ball. That was always that was money stickies, get the stickies out. Actually wants some money on that game. Yeah, y'all down in the locker room. Actually, I met one of my friend's house.
Speaker 4: Everybody I'm talking about is in Atlanta, everybody going for the Falcons halftime down twenty eight three. What ch'all was thinking in the locker room, I'm talking cash? Shit, Still this is Tom Brady. I'm still talking cash. In the back of my mind, I'm like, damn, I'd have lost my money, you know what I'm saying. But I'm talking shit, I'm still riding with y'all. What y'all think in the locker room.
Speaker 3: I was like, fucking it. I was embarrassed, and I was like, man, we can't go out like this. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: That was like my initial to myself kind of moment, and then you know, you get into like, all right, this is Super Bowl. No one ever gets blown on a Super Bowl Denver Broncos back.
Speaker 3: When Niners did, remember or the Chargers. That was the Charger score the Chargers, you know, so they're you know, as long as we.
Speaker 5: Kind of just play one play at a time, you never know, like, let's just kind of focus. The things that we did in the first half were like the three things that we said we couldn't do. We couldn't turn the fucking ball over. You got to score points in the red area. We threw a pick six in the red area and then you know, you have to score touchdowns in the red area. We got you know, we got stopped twice when we crossed their forty. So like little things like we were driving the ball. It wasn't like we weren't doing things. We were getting things done. It wasn't as clean as we wanted it, but that's how Super Bowls are. This is our second one at the time, you know, as this team was going on, so you kind of felt that, and you know, then one thing led to another. We were just making plays and just trying to stick into the game plan, you know, and tighten up the stupid mistakes. And once we did that, you know, that's when you know we started playing well. And I think a lot of that had to do is they were running us all week that week, like even up to the Super Bowl, we were still doing conditioning and Bill will be twirling his fucking his whistle and he just yells, put it into bank. While these while we're running up we have uphill runs. He's like, just put it in the fucking bank. You got to deposit the hard work, like you say, shit like that. When we were running and we played like one hundred and five plays on offense that game, which is a lot. That's a lot of plays, and like we tired them out, you know, and then we were able to execute when we were tired, and all those little things and playing one play at a time, and those all led to like the most unprobable comeback, which is still crazy if you watch it. If you watch it, like I'm sitting there, like, damn, we had to do everything right.
Speaker 2: I missed halftime in the third quarter. You guys are getting blown out. I took a nap and woke back up in in the fourth quarter. No bullshit, I have people at the house now, it's just too high. But walked back up in the fourth court, like what the fuck is going on here? You know, came back and went it crazy. Twenty seventeen ACL injury. You told us before interesting side. I asked, if you didn't my share and this you were trying to obviously come back from that injury.
Speaker 3: Uh take it, take it from there. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I ended up getting popped for uh unknown substance of unknowned substance, you know, so you know went into that I had to got I got suspended for four games which in you know, in the grand like looking back on it after an ACL at thirty two, wasn't wasn't particularly bad to have four extra risks.
Speaker 3: You know, and have more under your belt. But uh, you know that that was a shitty situation.
Speaker 5: But in order to keep my routine, I don't even know if I'm allowed to share this, but I got to go to the Celtics facility and and they took me in and let me rehab their use their facility, sitting, you know, like keep my routine like a professional athlete.
Speaker 3: And that's when it was. They were in training camp. So like I was around there.
Speaker 5: Fellas who was on that team, Kyrie was there, Robert Williams, Tatum, Jalen Brown, Tice, uh Mark, Mark Smart sut up, Marcus smartt defensive player of the Year. Congrass he's been balling, man, he works hard. Yeah, first guard to do it since Gary Payton.
Speaker 2: You were in the locker room too, right, I was in the locker room locker so yeah, so what's the difference because like in the basketball locker room, we're all in there talking shit. It's kind of a tighter circle obviously. And I asked you before, like your NFL locker rooms or defense, offense, special teams, kickers, what's the How did you like the basketball environment?
Speaker 5: It was awesome because they were all like they're on like their own little schedule, you know, like each guy had their shoot time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It was a little more laid back. It was less intense. I'm not gonna lie, but I think that's because they have more games and there's more you know what I mean. It's like baseball slow grind, slow grind, you know what I mean, Like ours, Like in our training camp, we have ninety guys on there, and you got guys trying to make the team, and guys are like walking on glass because you got the turk walking around cutting jokers left and right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: So like it was just it was it was different, but like it's also a different sport, Like it's more individualized where you guys are sitting working on your you know, your your craft twenty four to seven, just boom. Everyone had their own coach and you know, like it was a lot more player driven, Like you know what I mean, we're like cattle.
Speaker 3: Just get over here, get a bunch of mother, you know what I mean, Like get the big guys over there, get the little guys over there, you know what I mean. Right, So, like the I thought that having.
Speaker 5: More coaches for more like less guys, I thought that was probably an advantage, you know, as far as you got, you know, a receiver room. In the beginning of the year, we got fucking eighteen guys with one coach. So for the younger guys, you know, it's harder for them because they're really catering to.
Speaker 3: Like the guys that are going to play, the guys you're making.
Speaker 5: The team, right, So, like, those are the little things I thought about, you know, when it comes from basketball to football, you know, because we don't have like a minor league.
Speaker 2: We don't have a G league. So like it's get it or you don't. You get in or you're out right transitioning. We're almost finished here. You've been a big advocate fighting anti semitism. Jack was in an incident about a year year and a half ago, and then you guys have since talked hung out and actually talked about actually doing something in the space together. We definitely did. We got to get something going. Tell me, tell the world what is what's going on? I mean, we're right here at showtime. So I mean, there's no we got to make something.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's basically, you know, we had we were both here for Super Bowl, you know, me and him and Esplanas, and we all went to dinner and after dinner, me and him and us one had a good night.
Speaker 5: Out shipping back on Grandpa's old cough medicine maybe yeah, the Devil's letters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had. We had. We had a good time. Man.
Speaker 4: We got a chance to actually talk about a lot of stuff, uh, dealing with all that.
Speaker 3: Man and want we came out. We started talking about when you do a show together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, do something just like you know, everyone's first instinct when something happens to their people their community is.
Speaker 3: To like put a guard up.
Speaker 5: Like instead of putting that guard up, let's put a handout, and let's like understand that to understand what's going on, you know, just have a conversation because like half the time, like when we look at these things, and I don't want to generalize or come off as wrong, but like both the people are usually like the same, right, you know, and there's like a miscommunication just a different color. And I think that's something or belief or you know what I mean. It's just something's different. But like when it comes to like personality trade similar fucking the.
Speaker 3: Same thing, you know what I mean. So like that's always been my thing.
Speaker 5: Like let's like try to educate each other on our communities because the more we know is that's when you start to grow.
Speaker 3: That's it right there. Everything is just a conversation.
Speaker 5: You know, when you're green, you grow when you wripe your rot, when you think you're done and you know everything, that's when bad shit happens when you when you're green and you want to grow on something, and that's when like.
Speaker 2: You learn, right, and when you learn, you grow absolutely quick hitters coming down the final stretch. If you could pick one receiver that you never got a chance to play with.
Speaker 3: Uh, I already know what would that be? Terry Rice? Terry right man? Can you imagine him drawing.
Speaker 5: Jerry Rice drawing the coverage and I get to work inside.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, when when we get a cowboy on here.
Speaker 5: Anybody like Mike Girl, all the cowboy questions, I love a I would play with Mike.
Speaker 3: I'll play, thank you. That's my guy. To excuse mom because I just don't know. Yesterday I had to hear U C l A Ship the whole day. Now I got to hear Party nine and Ship the whole day.
Speaker 2: Like to rub it in, what would you want to play with if you did that, you had never got a chance to play with, like all time, all time Montagna, Joe.
Speaker 3: Want get it?
Speaker 5: I mean it would be pretty Uh, I think it'd be pretty fun to play with. Like Aaron Rodgers too, from the back, I mean from the Bay. He's from Butte Chico, Yeah, up north.
Speaker 3: I've been working out with him. Yeah, he's so cool. Really, Yeah, he's super cool, dude.
Speaker 5: There's some guys that just have it, you know, like that that wrist or whatever. This dude is Like it's crazy to see how he delivers the football like some nonchalantly and it just goes.
Speaker 3: Look at the wrist. What's the difference between him and Brady? Ah that you see.
Speaker 5: Brady's the same guy always, I'm saying, like as far as quarterbacks, same guy always yea, no matter of the situation. Yeah, he's gonna get the best out of his players. That's all I really know, right, you know, So what I mean like and Brady's he's won seven Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to play your best, no question about that.
Speaker 5: But you got to play your best football in the playoffs. And we've seen over the last few years with Aaron Rodgers. You know, he hasn't been playing his best football. You could say how it's you know, the team or this. Hey, I'm not reading minds. I'm reading mannerisms, and the mannerisms are telling me. Yeah, in the last four years, these guys are number one seed or whatever. I don't have the actual statumun a crazy stack guy, but they've been up there where they should been representing.
Speaker 3: The NFC and they haven't. But who who he has? And I want I want to see the Packers do well. I want to see it.
Speaker 5: I thought they were going to take it last year pre season, last year, I took the Packers to winning, but then it just went down this road again and then they're now we're losing.
Speaker 3: We're losing.
Speaker 4: Adams Brady shows way more emotion to me running into the Niners.
Speaker 3: You guys have not stay that. That's not why I was getting with question.
Speaker 4: Next, Brady shows way more are emotion and passion during.
Speaker 3: The game, before the game and all that. You know, like just said Aaron Rogers.
Speaker 4: Real nonchalant. I'm gonna go through you know it's his wife. Yeah, that's his way. It's still great, still great. Top five dinner Guess Dead Alive?
Speaker 5: Top five five people you want to have a meal with. Man, this is like a tough one. I think Clint Eastwood would be pretty cool to have, you know what I mean? Clint east would would be really cool.
Speaker 3: I knew that, Huh. I like blues and ship Muddy Waters. I want to hear stories. What was that Cadillac Records? Is at the movie? You saw Cadillac Records? No? I just I have them on the Spotify. Have you seen Cadillac Records? H I have it? I got it playing well on the Muddy Waters. I mean I would.
Speaker 5: I would be pretty cool to like talk to Steve's jobs, you know, just kind of get his perspective. I heard he was like kind of big asshole. I want to see I want to see it. I don't want to see it, you know, because you know a lot a lot of like you know, big leaders are like that, you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean a little different. You have to be some type of boys. So what am I? That's three yea. For Marilyn Monroe, the stories and the conspiracies that.
Speaker 2: I've heard, Yeah, I would want to feel her energy too, just like what she's like to be around.
Speaker 5: Like that's Kim Kardashian, that's modern day, that's modern day Marlyn Monroe, like if you think about it, like and also there's so.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I can't agree with that, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: How she's like the big the biggest thing really in Maryland Road. That's a greater comparison. I'm not mad at I never looked at that way. Would it makes sense?
Speaker 3: Glam girls? They're glam girls, I'm not saying, but like, but get on, uh bout sex type. I mean by you know, Joe to my Joe.
Speaker 5: There's a bunch of like, like I said, I want to know.
Speaker 3: That's why I want to have the dinner. I don't know, but I want to. I want to know the conspiracy. Yeah, you know, so there's a lot of ships for that's for and then the last one this motherfucker said a sex tape.
Speaker 5: I think Denzel Washington's pretty cool man because I hear his perspective on social media and like like interpersonal communication skills and how we're so like different now, and like I think he I would learn a lot and like be inspired and just like like a pregame speech to life.
Speaker 3: He's the guy, you know what I mean when it like comes down to it, like you.
Speaker 5: See a lot of his clips on social where he's like like I'd rather enjoy a moment to take a picture and have that memory or something you.
Speaker 3: Know, Like I don't know, but like that.
Speaker 2: That's a different I like the group a lot of different types. First thing you do when you wake up in the last thing you do before you go to bed brush your teeth. Oh, fundamentally, you gotta wake up, brush your teeth, throw a chaw and get a coffee, you know, sit down, get the day going, Get.
Speaker 3: The day going.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna ask this question because we talked about it. I think we kind of talked about who hits you the hardest in your career?
Speaker 5: I got uh, I got smoked by ray Lewis coming off that. We talked about it, and we do the show together on Inside the NFL streaming on Paramount plus Shameless Plug. And I've told him like three or four times he hit me once where he like knocked me out. I think he was kind of he was kind of feeling it too, and like I walk over to the sideline and it was someone's I thought it was Hilodi Nada and he's like, hey, buddy, your sidelines that way. So I started walking another way and then he hit me so hard. Another time in the playoffs in two thousand and nine, I scored a touchdown and he like tackled me in the end zone and like need or elbowed my ass and I had like j low butt cheek full like ten times bigger than my left I had like a hematoma and they had to like go in there.
Speaker 3: I couldn't sit down for like a week.
Speaker 5: We got eliminated. I wouldn't have been able to play like it was so bad. I couldn't fly home for like a week and a half. So thank you Ray you you know, keep me in Boston more time. Landry, he knocked me out of a game one time. Doct Ryan Dowkins. It was when he was on a he was on the Denver Broncos for a little bit and he knocked me out so hard once. I had a star for two weeks in the top right corner of my eye got he hit me on a crosser.
Speaker 3: Came down and he was so polite after he hit me, and he's like, you right, young fellow. I'm like, yeah, am I still on earth?
Speaker 4: I asked question, who would you like to see on our show? But before you answer your question, you have to help us with your answer.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's kind of a lot of people too. Yes, he knows a lot of a lot of goats. We gotta get we gotta get Brady on here. You I'll take Brady your boss either.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm gonna try one or the other. I'm gonna try both both.
Speaker 3: Why not? Why not? Hey, Tom, get on to quit playing. We'll come to you. Tom will come to your house.
Speaker 2: Come to your house, man, anywhere you're at, anywhere you're at, We're there.
Speaker 3: Baker's bag. Brandy will pull up to he said, he'll pull up, will definitely come.
Speaker 2: Yes, well man, we want to thank you man for your time today. We have a gift box for you. What is this just a little uh goodie box for you with some merchant there Oh the smoke. Yeah, go ahead check it out real quick.
Speaker 3: And the Julian and Jack show coming soon.
Speaker 2: Jack, Julian got you a nice little sweats fire swet Jack has on.
Speaker 3: It's like shattern but with smoke. Basketball, So you're in you're in space. Is that the actual smoke? Yeah, that's pretty I picked that up. That's Jack. Where can they get that at all? The smoke that motherfucking store without the motherfucking you give me the white one because I'm white guy. Yes, that's tight. Yes, that was Jack's idea. I gotta get for this stuff, Miami. That's walking on the beach with your daughter. Yeah, you get her little one.
Speaker 2: Yes, a little little little smoke man. That's a wrap with Julian Edeman. You can catch this episode on the DraftKings Network and all the Smoke Productions YouTube.
Speaker 3: We'll see you guys next week.