Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 1: Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and Newie Scrugs.
Speaker 4: Football greetings, Football greetings to you, Thank you for joining the Players Louds brought to you by Tostitos.
Speaker 5: That is Danny.
Speaker 4: McCrae, Heckma Harrison in the building in the house, I have new he Scrugsberry Church will join Barry Church. He'll come see us in April next month.
Speaker 5: Mary Church will be back and.
Speaker 6: Join us next month. Hopefully.
Speaker 4: Lots to get into here. It's the awesome season. We're trying to figure out what this roster will be.
Speaker 5: Just us, just exactly just us. Huh, just us. Uh.
Speaker 4: People come and ask me up in the streets. I'm sure they ask you to like Scooby Doo, we do it. So yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't exactly know. So heck, just what do you want to go?
Speaker 5: Run?
Speaker 4: What are your friends asking you?
Speaker 2: What are you getting from your people? But man, trying to trick me out my spot and answer me. Now, this is the question is obviously, what are you guys doing from a front office standpoint? Are you even thinking about doing anything in free agency? You know what, collectively I'm impressed why guys that leave the organization in some manner seem like their stock goes up when they leave. And it's like, and that's the thing to me that it's always pretty like surprising, you know, darn Armstrong all of a sudden, you know, he's Joe Green, he's you know, we're losing guys and losing people. And not to say that they didn't have any contributions at all, but those are the things that really kind of shocked me. Is that the people that we lose when we lose Neville Gallimore, you know, all of a sudden, now his stock has gone up. You know, the natives are restless and they want some some movement. They want to feel like you know, the cowboys are interested in winning next year. Right now, this sitting on your hands approach is not setting well with people.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 2: Listen, they asked me the same thing they always ask because everybody is Jerry.
Speaker 5: What's up with Jerry? Why Jered? You know, it's all with Jerry Jerry Jerry Jy.
Speaker 2: I'm like, hey, man, listen, I don't run the team, but this this right here, what we got going on with the quarterback situation and the cap restraint that we have going on because of it, It's something that I don't I don't believe that I've seen since I like being able to understand the cap like I do now and the opportunities for guys to get paid and then what happens when you bump it down the road and franchise, Like I haven't had the opportunity to see it this way.
Speaker 5: This is a very unique.
Speaker 2: Situation because the situation with Dak's contract to me is one of we watched Russell Wilson do it to where he's getting paid thirty nine by Denver and then playing on a million dollar deal up in Pittsburgh. And if Dak Prescott, they if they don't do anything, he's sixty million, and then even when he's not here next year, he's still on your cap for fifty plus. Yeah, which is like, I've never seen you be in a situation to where we still waiting. We assumed that he was gonna get paid already, so you can give yourself some cap relief and then you know, go get some players so you can be all in and it hasn't happened. I think this is a very very unique situation.
Speaker 4: My response to people, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. I hear one thing all in from the owner, but at the end of the day, we all know it's action that matter. So it's like I hear the team in motion, we're gonna do this looking at that, and then the actions don't match the motion. So at some point in time, I can just all the old line parcels is there. All I can go by is what I see, and right now and not seeing movement, I'm seeing a situation with the quarterback because you just talked about signing him. So you're just kind of sitting here right now, and at this point in time, I'm just kind of waiting on the draft to.
Speaker 6: See what needs get filled and where they go.
Speaker 4: Because if you're not spending any money, then I'm thinking you're gonna go to the draft address whatever needs you want to in the draft, and then after that hack. But that's when you kind of go and say, all right, who else is on the market and where do we sign them, because now their prices are going to go down because people.
Speaker 6: Are drafted folks.
Speaker 4: At that point, That's the only thing I can think of as I'm seeing it play out right now.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of surprised that you didn't bring up time proof and consistency here, because time proof and consistency shows what we have done historically, at least since twenty ten after Brandon Carr on the free agent market. First day, second day, first week, second week has been has been about this. It's not this is not abnormal. The only abnormal part about it is the quarterback situation. But we don't usually make big time moves in the first couple of weeks. Are we do lean on the draft, the Tyren Smith's, the Dais Briance, the Zekiel Was. We lean on on those opportunities to get our big time players and then we keep them here. But the last time, I mean we paid fifty for Brandon Carr, I think we got great. Party was another guy where you say, okay, well he was supposed to be come uh, come here and be a difference makerp But outside of that, it's stopping yeah, few and far in between, it's failure to lunch. Yeah, this is this is normal failure to lunch every year. And we talked about a little bit last week about how coming into free agency is the dumb money immediately from the teams that have the salary cap and they're gonna make moves and and for me, we threw those names out there, all these guys that have now been signed by other teams. Would that have satisfied you or would you it wouldn't have. I think you'd still be in a situation where you're asking the same questions on the offensive line. You're still trying to find that continuity. You still want to know is Tyler Smith the guy that you're going to move out to left tackle? Those questions have started too matriculately. He's starting to answer those questions now. I think the only thing that you have is the draft. Like you said, those seven picks are the compensatory picks that they have. Now it makes you feel a little bit better about what they're going to do in the draft because Will McLay has had plenty success. The thing to me, I'm with you, what are we doing in Dak's contract and how does that correlate to getting guys sign like Ceedee Lamb and Michael Parsons because truthfully, I think what he answered to me, Ceedee Lamb answered the question last season that he is a number one correct wide receiver. So let's take that off the board. You're gonna have to pay him twenty million dollars a year. Okay, that's right, that's fair. Even though Micah is locked and loaded as far as where he is in his draft pick and what they're paying him, you still have to start the conversation. Oh and by the way, you can't do that unless you re sign or restructure Dak all of those things.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 2: I don't think you take the glass off of the button and hit the panic buttons just yet because you still have time to get those things done.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: To me, having Mike McCarthy coach under one year deal, like that's the biggest head scratcher to me for the organization, Like what are we doing here because essentially you're tying this guy's hands and feet together and tell him go out here and coach this team that basically you don't have any power to these millionaire athletes. So that's look as we go along, and the things that are are that boggles the mind are plenty, but I think when it comes down to the contracts right now, we have plenty of time.
Speaker 5: To figure that out.
Speaker 2: And there isn't one guy that's out there right now that I say, Okay, yeah, you got to make a trade right now for that guy.
Speaker 5: There's still plenty of me they off.
Speaker 2: The market already, they were out there, but that's agree we missed them. Unfortunately. In my opinion, I think, who tell me who was that guy to you? Like if you if you signed that guy, I feel one of those two running backs out of say Corn and Dereck Henry, I mean you said one, you said, mikeem crub is on a one year deal. So even if you don't believe he's gonna run the ball, somebody's gonna come in here and run the ball like they're gonna They're gonna find out a way to get that done. And I think I believe that if you had one of those guys on your squad, that Mike McCarthy would have found a way to run the ball more than fifteen sixteen times a game. But I think when you look at our running back room right here right now and you say, okay, we ain't got a linebacker. We're gonna try to figure out how to show that up. Outside of defensive tackle and running back, the biggest impact players were there on the running back market. That's your time proof and consistency right there, because he hadn't shown you that he's gonna run the ball. And if you had Derrick Henry here, he wouldn't have carried the ball for twenty seven twenty seven times, because that's just not the mo.
Speaker 5: O of the team.
Speaker 2: But Tony Pollard was at the beginning of the season was averaging fifteen to eighteen carries a game. Okay, I think that's a fair number to give sat Kwon Barkley or somebody eighteen carries a game, and then especially if they're being more productive than what TP was being, then you're gonna probably get more than eighteen because you'll be in the situation where you're trying to milk the clock and run it out versus what we were doing last season.
Speaker 5: That's the scariest room to me, back room, Yeah, that's the SCARIESTO.
Speaker 4: No, I'll disagree with you, Okay. To me, your scariest room is the defensive line, because what have we seen for three years you want to beat the Cowboys, go run the ball on You want to look at the playoff losses. You've lost the teams who decided to run the football on you. And Christian Wilkins was available went to the Raiders. Chris Jones never got to the market, Leonard Williams was available, Seattle resigned it. And so Hankins is now in Seattle with eight and dirty.
Speaker 5: He's gone, Yes, shoulder surger for somebody to camp.
Speaker 4: So you got him with the shoulder, so you're not left with this guy who you know, I don't know who got who got thin and now they're trying to get him, get him beefed up again. So that's a Neville Gallimore. Say whatever you want, but he was depth piece. He's gone. So I'm sitting here saying, Okay, there's Osa Diggizua, who, by Mike Zimmer standards of his defensive lineman, is a smaller guy.
Speaker 6: And you got your first round pick last year.
Speaker 4: Who who by all accounts did not live up to being a first round pick, now has shoulder surgery and you're wondering is he going to get weight back on?
Speaker 6: This to me is not just glaring.
Speaker 4: This This is how you get to be eight and nine because you've not only not fixed your problem, your problem has gotten worse. And I see these drafts and they talk about offensive tackle, Like, does anybody look at what the Cowboys are as a football team right now?
Speaker 6: Because you're talking about Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 4: He's in the division now, you know what you're about to get in Philadelphia between Saquon.
Speaker 6: And Bush Tush Bush.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're running the dan Quinn is now the head coach in Washington.
Speaker 6: You know exactly. He already knows what the ills is going.
Speaker 5: Right, He's running the buck.
Speaker 6: They are running right at you here.
Speaker 4: And the Giants, I don't know how they fill te Quad's roll, but it's pretty clear.
Speaker 6: If your day ball run at the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I mean, you make a valid point and I'm gonna stay stay right there in that defensive line room. And that's why I was talking about guys like Chauncey Golston and the way that we used him as a twinter last year and a guy that still is a part of that young group that you want to continue to develop and Zimmer may have a plan for him, and you still have opportunity throughout OTA's and training camp to bring other defensive linemen in. It's just the fact that there hadn't been any movement there that I think you're starting to panic and starting to say to yourself, what the hell is going on? Mazzie Smith. We're gonna say it again. He has to have the biggest jump from year one. The year he can't because he's gonna be out to the training camp. But he had he had an opportunity to do like you're again and Fanny, he can't. This is a guy that cannot afford. This happened already. He lost weight last year. So the gold this year would be to do everything you can to put on some weight, which it may help him if be having surgery, because he won't be able to be as mobile as as he was. But then it's still the technique because what we saw from him was just trying to use straight power when he first got in there minus the technique, and it wasn't working for him, and then he lost weight. So when you get a guy like Zimber to come in, he wants to have his hands on a guy like that. Hey man, first round I pick last year. We need to figure out how we can make you better than you were in the previous year. You don't have the opportunity now outside of getting mental reps and watching.
Speaker 5: And mental reps.
Speaker 2: No, no, well no, not when you were second year player a Tyron Smith. Ye, mental rep Dware, Those are mental rep type of guys.
Speaker 5: Mosie Smell say, you know second year guys.
Speaker 2: Just I don't think any anybody could just do that in the second year of just sit there on the sideline and then and have to watch and and get better than you were last year.
Speaker 5: Considering how he went for him last year.
Speaker 4: And I don't I don't know this supposedly not having played this kind of level as a defensive lineman coming off shoulder surgery. When you do put him out there, what kind of what kind of reps and what kind of practice can he get out there so you don't hurt him? And by the way, the other Michigan player they took last year, tight end Luke Schoomaker as shoulder surgery too, And what did we talked about with him? Hey, got to be a better blocker. So how are these two guys gonna get up here?
Speaker 5: Get the camp? Have to got something hard man, that's the game. And that's the game. What did Jim Harbaugh send the Cowboys?
Speaker 2: He called him and told him, I'll take care of y'all. I got you. But those those two players were really good in college. You know, they were really ill?
Speaker 6: Was Glory fans? Fast in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Who you telling I've seen him many times.
Speaker 5: I've seen many times. Just don't look the same, just in field. Unbelievable man.
Speaker 4: So so man, that so what when you talk about that D line? So now we got my man, it's gonna come back here. Uh, we don't know how much way these games. He's got the shoulder issue. And what do we know about Mike Zimmer. Mike Zimmer likes Biggins up front. The Cowboys under Dan Quinn didn't have Biggins.
Speaker 5: So can we say, all right, Sam Williams, we're.
Speaker 6: Just gonna move off to go to defense.
Speaker 2: Inside, I'm just saying a guy like this, come on, let's let's have this conversation.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, go ahead, go ahead, because you asked for this one.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I think that we're looking at this that the cupboard has half full, all right, and we're saying that a guy like Sam Williams and his se in his now his third year can't be impactful on this defensive line under Zimmer. I mean, obviously we need more weapons, and those more weapons is in the tune of how many more bodies that we need? Two three more guys in rotation. Well, you mean you talking about Sam Wims possibly bumping in and play on the interior defensive line. He already has. I mean you saw him, You saw him being used like that under dan Quinn, and I think that our issue with dan Quinn, because I love DQ, we still haven't been able to stop the run. I don't think Sam putting Sam Williams in there, especially when you know Zimmer likes.
Speaker 5: A bigger guy.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's that's what we're That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for some big old six a double team whole point. Just clog it up and make like I'm looking for those type of Sam Williams as good as an athlete is, blocking punts, doing all that stuff. I'm just talking about straight up size in the middle of the defense. I don't I don't see him being able to hold up in that position when you play a team like Philly, who's gonna get in there try to maul you or any of these teams in the league that focus on running the football, and I get it. We're having a conversation between the one tech three tech. Yeah, the big guys. I'm looking at a holistic defensive line. Okay, because I don't think that's been a huge issue. I don't think that the edges have been that big of an issue for us. I think it's it's usually been that one and three technique that worries me.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm looking for, and then just trying to reconcile it with the fact that you've got to you're changing defensive coordinators, and your defensive coordinators bringing up the beef. Kevin Williams, Lynn Belle, Joseph. These are not guys that the Cowboys have had here under Dan Quinn, and Joseph's available. Not saying they should sign it, but that kind of guy is available. So do they wait till after the draft and hope that Okay, hey man, now you're at the dollar Tree price.
Speaker 6: Let's go ahead and jump on it and get you one.
Speaker 4: Because that has been a strategy for a lot of teams and players who don't get god in free agencies like Okay, well guess what four teams field needs. We kind of were talking to them before. I guess I better go over here. And that's a good strategy in terms of signing guys at low prices. But that's that to me, that's concerning heck as much as people. You could line up an offensive line tomorrow. It may not be optimal, but you could line it up right now. You got Osazi with the shoulder, yes, and.
Speaker 2: It's tough. I look interior defense lin like you know that. But who's out there though, that's also a thing.
Speaker 5: But that now, that to.
Speaker 4: Me is where I look at the draft. When I see these drafts and offensive tackle that I see there, I just shake my head, like, no, no, you.
Speaker 5: Take another shot. Man.
Speaker 4: You just took a shot last year going to get you an interior guy and it didn't work out.
Speaker 5: Do you you say we're going to back to back years?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I'm so nervous to throw the dice again.
Speaker 5: At that point, I got i PTSD right.
Speaker 4: Now, Okay, I've got I've got I've got I got a thought about that.
Speaker 2: And you never want to draft the offensive lineman for like this been this is five years agoing right now.
Speaker 5: Every time I bring up office lineman.
Speaker 4: You okay, I got straight, I got.
Speaker 5: I got a strategy. Please all right? When we come back, please, I.
Speaker 4: Got When we come back, I got a first and second round strategy that I would love to see the Cowboys if I'm in the room.
Speaker 6: This is the strategy.
Speaker 4: I'm like, guys, my ultimate strategy for rounds one or two would be this. I'll bring it to you next right here on the players line by those teeters on the Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 1: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants.
Speaker 5: To ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 2: That's the sound of us magically transforming our SMOOTHI bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool III or Pataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch.
Speaker 5: And that's the sound of you making them disappear.
Speaker 2: Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores. Hashtag be your own boss.
Speaker 3: There is no eye in Dallas. There is no eye in heart, either no eye in blue Star or a lone star for that matter. And there's no eye in How about them cowboys? Smeirenough knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 2: Home or away.
Speaker 3: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in cowboys. Fans smear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 5: To the players Lounge.
Speaker 2: Country Music's Party of the Year is back like never before. The Academy of Country Music Awards returns to the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco on May sixteenth. See the biggest stars in country music and watch unforgettable live performances. Limited tickets are available now at sea geek dot com.
Speaker 6: Alright, I love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 9: Lord that the.
Speaker 5: Strategist is bad. It's gonna get him locked out the room.
Speaker 2: Man, y'all should have seen him bring him writing stuff down the carricter one all that come on listen.
Speaker 5: Like rain Man right now, what you got okay.
Speaker 2: And that's and that's the real list. That's not that that uh, that bad list of Every time I sit over here, I realize he's keeping double books because one is in blue and the other one's in red.
Speaker 5: You like, yo, he.
Speaker 6: Got two bucks working for Daniels. It's the book I get.
Speaker 5: In n f L. What's what's they just got.
Speaker 4: Sure know what's going You can keep books for a long time.
Speaker 5: He didn't know. He was just hitting the pig had two hooks.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, by the way, players lines about to you by Tostitos ain't even Craig Heck Maharirri soun new Scrutch. Here's my my first round strategy for the Copito Wars. Offensive tackle out because I'm putting I'm putting Tyler Smith at the left tackle.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's the first thing I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: Will McLay told me last year we drafted to be our left tackle, So I'm gonna throw him out there. I'm going toward the defensive line. That's a problem. You win in the trenches. You've been put out of the playoffs the last three years. You being in the trenches has been a problem. Vick Fanasy will put the blueprint out there. Ain't fixing the blueprint.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So Texas has.
Speaker 4: Two big boys, Oh absolutely, Byron Murphy one of them, and then the defensive player of the year. Uh, trynte sweat. Give me one of those two guys, and I am hoping they go. God got for these quarterbacks in the first ten picks.
Speaker 2: Are they projected to be there? Byron Murphy probably won't be there? Said, we hoping, this is hoping.
Speaker 5: This is your strategy.
Speaker 4: You're gonna give us, you fin give us a dream, some dream picks who rejected to be there where we then we.
Speaker 5: Might we never know? You know, you never don't know? As that's possible. Yes, that's the draft right.
Speaker 4: There are dumb teams out here, right, So that's why I talk about the quarterbacks. All of a sudden, somebody won't get desperate up in here and you start reaching for these. Dude, somebody gonna get up. You're hoping somebody get excited about bon Nicks. Go ahead, jump up, get a bon Nicks up in here, Jump up, get a Pinix sit up here.
Speaker 6: See five six quarterbacks, And that means guys like this can can fall.
Speaker 5: McCarthy.
Speaker 6: Oh, McCarthy's gonna be a top ten pick.
Speaker 4: Better go ahead, Yeah yeah, not a shot. So that's where I'm looking at. One of these two guys.
Speaker 5: Defensive line.
Speaker 4: Defensive line. I need, I need, I need my coordinator to have a bit getting that pear. So there, round one, round two, I'm going to get the center. You need somebody to snap the ball. There's an opportunity. Big kid from West Virginia, Frasier, bigger than Beaddish, a guy who's got rave reviews in terms of the kind of character and player that he wasn't. So I get I address two needs, but also two important phases of football.
Speaker 6: We're trying to win in the trenches. You've got a problem in the trenches.
Speaker 4: And when I think about the Cowboys the last two years being put out of the playoffs, they have lost on the offensive and defensive lines in those games.
Speaker 6: In my opinion, address those in rounds one and two.
Speaker 5: There you go. I'm not opposed to it. I'm not opposed to it.
Speaker 2: And I think that with Tyler Smith moving out to left tackle, that you can then focus on the interior.
Speaker 5: So allegedly this is this is my this is strategy. He's moving on.
Speaker 2: We're not sure we'll see We don't know, yes, but that that would make sense, Yes, it would. All right, that's where we get in trouble. That's where we get in trouble. But I love what you're thinking is as far as Sweat, Sweat is a mammoth of a young man, I think Murray Murphy won't be there. I mean, he's just obviously the way that he plays, there's gonna be some team salivating to get a guy like that. And he's really not as big a guy as people think. He just plays really big. As far as stature, UH is concerned. Sweat, on the other hand, is yeah, he is bluebell eater right there. That's a guy that you you possibly can plug and play. He's a Day one guy right off the bush can play. I've always I've always everyone's been pinpointing the center from Oregon Powers has two last names. But he's he's a really guy, another one of those guys that you say plug and play. He's a Day one kind of guy. So look, you need guys like that right away. You don't need a guy that to know development in this situation because you brought Mazie in and I think the first thing you saw was oh crap, he needs to develop a little bit more, and that's why you bring in Hanking. So look, I am I am adamant about trying to shore up the interior. I don't know what everybody's thinking as far as wide receiver is concerned, because you know, look, that may be something that you can cherry pick later in the draft, but we're gonna have to find out about that as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is the toughest one. I understand the center thing.
Speaker 2: I'm a defensive player, so I do see that our back or front seven is linebacker and interior defensive line.
Speaker 5: I don't know what linebackers.
Speaker 2: I was like, I didn't get into all that, but I know we have an issue at linebacker, the same injury issue that we have currently with Mazie Smith not being able to be there until training camp. Right now we're looking at We've got Perkins and Overshun is a guy who we expect to really make an impact. Well when is he going to be ready to play? So what is our depth right now? One our starters? But then what is our depth at linebacker? Buddy Johnson and Mark he spelled right, So so I mean we have we have a lot of different places where we have issues at so I have a hard time going center over defense in that case, is I'm saying, Okay, that's gonna be making sixty.
Speaker 5: We got CD Lamb.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they're gonna do a running back, but I think we're gonna figure out a way to get some stuff done on offense because I think we still have the talent.
Speaker 9: To do that.
Speaker 2: I think we are lacking the talent on defense to do what we need to do in order to come up big in those in those type of games. I think we just we are missing the talent and the availability of certain guys to be able to say, if all those fails, we're gonna go out there and get a stop for you.
Speaker 4: When you were in elementary schools a youngster, when you'll remember the name Chrispy and you will remember the name and they let Mark Stepanowsky go. It was on Super Bowl teams and the Cowboys, and eventually they.
Speaker 6: Were playing a guy named Clay Shreiver. Clay was not a good center.
Speaker 5: He was not Step, not Step.
Speaker 4: He wasn't Frank Cornish, he wasn't John Geesick any of the other guys who filled it, and it became a problem for Troy and you just simply cannot try to get away at that position. You do need a next level guy. And I think about what Kansas City has create Humphrey. I think about what the Eagles have had with Jason Kelsey. I think about when Mark Stepanovsky was here, or better yet, a guy that your uncle Joe played with.
Speaker 6: Mike Webster.
Speaker 4: You get in, you get yourself a top notch player there. It makes everyone better. Travis Frederick was sensation.
Speaker 6: I go back to that draft. I raised my hand.
Speaker 5: I criticized the pick because I thought.
Speaker 6: The Cowboys should have taken a D lineman in the first round. They didn't.
Speaker 4: They traded with Minnesota, they went down, and then they took Travis Frederick, who most people thought was a second round pick. They had done their research and thought that he was a plug and play guy. He wasn't all American at Wisconsin, and they were one hundred went and got five years out him because they got him in the first round. And I remember all draft day, Tony had told Jerry Jones, thank you for the extra second. They were one hundred percent right about it, and I just feel like they need to address it, because if you've got a good one, then you're all good.
Speaker 6: You don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: You got one with question marks, you gotta slide some help over people trying to bull rush the middle. It's it's just when you're compromised, you just see it. If you're not compromised, then you're good. And I think Philadelphia is gonna have a real tough year trying to replace the greatness of Jason Kelsey and what he did. So that's my thing, Danny, and I don't want to wait past You definitely can't. If you better do it no later than round three. You just cannot try to skate by that position.
Speaker 5: That's just me.
Speaker 6: I just think it's too valuable.
Speaker 5: I think maybe I gotta reached the sea bias or something.
Speaker 2: I just remember what Green Bay did to it was running all over the place, and all the other teams that beat us and went out there in offenses.
Speaker 5: Not reached to see bias. It happened.
Speaker 2: But these are defensive issues that we've had.
Speaker 4: But the new Dogs playing the dresses at round one, the new Dog playing dressed baby linebackers?
Speaker 6: Okay, what like?
Speaker 7: What like?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 5: What addresses that?
Speaker 4: You got to even with Overstrow coming back, you're gonna have a guy in his first year fully playing the game.
Speaker 5: We got we got what we got more rounds? Yeah, we got we got round for everybody.
Speaker 4: So now now I'll say this, that kid from Texas A and m Cooper, well, he can play, he can play.
Speaker 5: He's exciting.
Speaker 4: But I just, I just I cannot run this defense for Zimmer without the beef. And so I'm looking for beef all over the place and I.
Speaker 5: Gotta get a sit.
Speaker 4: I don't know why people don't talk about the center enough here now you can get one.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I would not take a heck, I would not take a center in the first wouldn't talk to somebody who specializes in draft from numbers of years. I'm very connected, and they just said, you know your centers you can get later, he said with this class, he says, you know, set round two three they could get they can get someone. But he said, you know, round two, you should be able to get one of the one of the top.
Speaker 2: Top four unless it comes down to a guy that you absolutely have done your due diligence on and you know that he is a plug and play guy. Now, I'm look, you did it with you, you like you just said, hey man, you were upset about the Travis Frederick draft and it worked out for the Cowboys either way, it goes you have some gaping holes, and I'm I'm look, defensively, you've got to find a way, and i'm you you warn me over on your your scenario there. So I'm saying, defensive line, let's address that first. And if you can get a guy like the one from West Virginia in the second round, man, that's payday all day. I think everyone would be satisfied there. But still there's still so many needs that you have not addressed.
Speaker 4: You're right, but I got but right there with that one, my scenario gives you too plug and play right away, which is nothing you got to last year's draft.
Speaker 6: Only plug and play you had was the fridge and kicker.
Speaker 2: But what Daddy is saying about the linebacker position, even if you do that in the first and second round, you still have no depth behind Overshawn who was coming off. Yeah, he's saying he not even considered at this moment, he's a starter. They come round three saying he not even he not ready to play. Like he is going to in his first year. I'm not your last year was red shirt year.
Speaker 4: We heard it coming out in his first year, he's gonna be coming out here coming off of a very serious injury, and we're gonna have to see what it is like.
Speaker 5: We have no we have no idea what it is.
Speaker 4: There's there, look, there's small rounds and but yes, has it Danny, We're they got a this.
Speaker 6: Is a this is a whole bunch of you're trying to plug in.
Speaker 2: It's my issue with plug and play, and that's why the draft is tricky because we thought we had plug and play last year.
Speaker 5: We sure did. We thought we had plugg and play last year. I just like to hit people and it didn't.
Speaker 6: You know, I took Louie out, lose weight, slim fans.
Speaker 4: It was. They didn't always work out that way, the plug and play guys. Man man was stressed out.
Speaker 5: The had off.
Speaker 4: They had it off here, you know, after they've had a lot of success. They had it off here. It was really off. I just would suggest not going to ann Arbor anytime soon. And I know McCarthy and some motherfolks went up there.
Speaker 6: Like, oh gosh, get out of again.
Speaker 5: Let's take a break.
Speaker 6: Can you didn't damn me?
Speaker 5: We got it?
Speaker 4: The kickoff rule has changed. Uh Special Teams Guru Danny McCrae want to get your I know you love it on that next with Hey my Hands and Dany krab New Scritchberry Church, I know you let those tits on Dallas Capitals dot Com Radio I Know you love it.
Speaker 8: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 5: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig.
Speaker 2: That was Cowboys alumni player here with's Smoothieking, and Smoothie King wants.
Speaker 5: To ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 2: That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new dicking and flavors. Dig into a coolie or Pataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberry and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzles. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys. Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 6: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 1: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 6: Snapper the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped left. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Pro Scot's gonna run this himslf run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: To the Players Lounge, settle up for the country, sip and stroll in the Star District on April seventeenth. Enjoy themesip and bites, country music, photo moments and photo moments, gift shopping, exclusive offers, complementary Western takeaways, and more, featuring over fifteen participating shops and restaurants in the Star District. Get your tickets at the Stardistrict dot Com. All right, country, there you go, get that Loop Combs on to Luke Bryan. Which one's a big.
Speaker 5: Star man, you know, Frankie Beverly May.
Speaker 3: They won't.
Speaker 2: Country star right The cowboy called her stay away from that time. The culture is under attack right now from Houston.
Speaker 5: We've been on the radio for a long time. It ain't y'all in Dallas stockyards up there. Y'all been up there. Of course you're a cowboy. Have you ever that horse? Kids, I've written horse when I was younger. I'm not a It's not something that Houston. We got the rodeo. Have you read the horse? Yeah one time. And this is what I see when I'm down. You're driving down the street in Houston.
Speaker 2: You see dudes on the side of you know, they in the media and on they on their horses like that's that I grew up seeing that wasn't not a horse rider.
Speaker 6: But my child teaches people how to ride. Yeah, she waited at a horse horse camp. And the other words.
Speaker 5: Something know everything. It's not a coature over there. Everybody do everything.
Speaker 2: But the radio has been one of the biggest events of never rode a horse.
Speaker 5: In my life.
Speaker 6: I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to keep that street lot, trying to kill myself, but my children do it and that's their thing. But black folks been black choks been doing horses forever. That's the name Cowboy. Go look that up where it came from.
Speaker 5: First one, Yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 4: All right, the NFL, the NFL has decided to change the kickoff rules, So XFL coming to the NFL.
Speaker 6: Danny McCray are special teams Guru, the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts on this and how does bones fossil make it work for the Cowboys?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Listen, They've been since I played in twenty ten, and probably prior to that, they've been trying to find a way to make the kickoff a safer play. Because when I got here in twenty ten, even in college, it was the wedge, right, they had guys who would just sprint all the way from the thirty to the guys that were in the wedge, triple team, double team, put your helmet in the middle, and dudes.
Speaker 5: Was getting concussed all over the place.
Speaker 2: You had like almost after in the touch back, you see dudes laying on the ground with the limb the touchback, got it, You got it, nothing man. And then so then they moved it up so then it was more touchbacks, and then now they're trying to find a way to still make it an exciting play. I think what they were explaining, was the crowd is waiting for the beginning of the game to start, right the Jets fly over and all that stuff, everybody cheering, and then you know most of the time nine times a touch back, and then you know the officers front out there, so they're trying to like make it.
Speaker 5: Be a part of the game.
Speaker 2: So I do appreciate that because I respect special teams guys, and they need to feel like they're a part of the game.
Speaker 6: This rule.
Speaker 5: I think it's gonna be exciting for the first year.
Speaker 2: I think seeing how specialty and coordinators figure out ways to try to I want to say, trick the system, but pick guys and make sure the guy like turping. If you have one of those dynamic guys, one of those guys gets you a forty fifty yard return because those are game changing plays. I think it's gonna be really exciting. I think Bones Fossil is probably up there in the lab or been in the lab ever since he heard about this, and he's been figuring out ways to make it look kind of like an offense. It's gonna be some picking plays out there, dudes trying to get confused, some trickery some fake handoff reversus. It's gonna be an exciting place. So for the first year, I'm excited. I want to see how it looks and see if the other guys are able to figure it out. But I think it's a good move.
Speaker 5: What I'm not gonna do is let this game pass me by by being one of those old.
Speaker 2: Castes like ah, because I hate everything about everything when there's a rule change, you know, look like you said, Man, it came up during the time where you were running head first into a wedge. If you wanted to get on the field, that's how you did it. And it was a tough guy roll for a lot of guys that are right now you look at these guys in their post playing days and say, maybe that was something that wasn't good for the game. So the game is changing to that degree now you want to make it more interesting and for the teams to score. They just did that because, like you said, you're gonna be in a situation where you only got one level to get through. Man, you don't have to worry about anything, and a guy like like the gu Turpin, it makes his job even easier because he didn't have to read a whole lot coming through that first level. So look, I think it's gonna get a lot of guys fired. You mentioned it's gonna get some some offensive coordinators up out of there, and you got guys like C. J. Goodwin who have made their name. You've made your name in the NFL by playing special team. So look, I think the way that they dumbed it down, I think it took a lot of that away, and you had guys like yourself just saying look, I made the roster based off of what I did in those situations. So hopefully open this up still gives players an opportunity to make a roster by being a full time special teams guy.
Speaker 5: So you know, you know who's gonna get fired.
Speaker 2: Whichever special teams coordinator has the mindset of a Dan Campbell. Right for that guy, I'm gonna just keep on trying it right because I know it's gonna work, and I trust my guys enough, and instead of kicking it out of the end zone and taking it at the thirty, you're gonna keep giving your guys a shot. Somebody's gonna have a two touchdown game with another two forty or fifty yard returns and you're gonna see that coach get fired. Mark mark my words on that some offense, some special teams coordinator this season that's coming up, he's gonna get fired mid season.
Speaker 6: I would try to.
Speaker 4: Sign Cavante Turping to a contract extension of right now, right now, because this kid can make plays. I've watched him in college extensively, and this is made for him to get busy.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine Devin Hester with this rule. They're not kidding it. Okay, bro, the five yards ain't worth it.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm saying special teams coordinators will get themselves get themselves fired by looking at a guy like Turping and knowing what he can do and saying, I'm going to try to lock him down on the twenty or twenty five instead of just kicking.
Speaker 5: It out of his zone and taking it on the thirty.
Speaker 6: Forget the touchdown aspect of it. Okay, that's your hole.
Speaker 4: But if a guy like Turpin, you make one guy miss, not maybe not on but you, he can easily get this thing to the forty four, forty five and now you're playing with half field. That That's what I'm looking for here. Touchdown break that'd be great. But if he just is able to use his speed and make a couple guys miss Now, now you're really putting your football team in some business here at the said the forty forty five, and it's a lot. He's pick up a couple first downs and then you'll kick her out here. I mean, you think about that the way you could switch this thing. If turping can get you to a forty forty five, get a couple first downs, and you send.
Speaker 5: That Brandon Arbor. Sure it's a right, you did it all day and you and I will fire my coordinator. Okay, but let's forget that week.
Speaker 4: Won I'm like, bro, if you did that, he diet that two times in the game where you're able to head, he hits it up here for some really good yardists, couple first downs you send out.
Speaker 6: That's six points.
Speaker 5: That's that touchdown.
Speaker 4: If you could almost give yourself a touchdown each week, because that team, the team you're opposing, wants to be that dumb.
Speaker 6: And you can tell you people like saying Williams, don't make it. Don't make a.
Speaker 5: Boy. You can be a business here.
Speaker 4: So John Fossil should be in the lab having a really good time about what the possibilities could be. So I'd be giving Kant Turpin an extension because I think this rule is made for him.
Speaker 5: You can hand it out extension. We ain't got no more.
Speaker 2: So we just talked all that about you handed out an extension to Comante Turping. We ain't even see that. We got four men from that give it the time. That's the guy, that's the guy.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 6: Hey, man, if you gotta find some points somewhere, I know block can't run, you go, depending on depending on the do with shows the surgery there to d live.
Speaker 5: So what you guys think about the hip hip drop before we go for get?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you so I understand what injury they're trying to stop, but if you want to just make the game impossible for the defender to be able to make a play, especially in the situation. So I was like, well, you I like to tackle guys from the front. Whatever, you chase him down, yeah, do that? Just run them into the end zone. My job is on the line, like, I'm here to make sure that I do all that I can for my team to make sure we win. And now it's just so many different thoughts that you have to have in your head when you're trying to tackle a guy.
Speaker 5: And it's going to cast somebody. Some games like that is going to cast somebody a game.
Speaker 2: A fourth down stop and the hip drop and he was shorter of the first down market and I was a fifteen yard and theyre going to win the game.
Speaker 4: Scoring is going up.
Speaker 5: It's this year difficult.
Speaker 4: Scoring's going up this year because you keep legislating the game to make it very hard for the defensive players. So that's just going to increase scoring. Because you know, you can't touch this guy. You breeze the quarterback's helmet, so that's a flag. Now, Oh I tackled him here wrong, And this particular referee says you touched him on the hip.
Speaker 6: I mean, you're just going to keep making it harder.
Speaker 2: Heck, and look, man, I think initially when I saw the horse collars, first time I saw it, I said, man, that's gonna get some people hurt. First time I saw it, Like, you can't tackle like that, and and I was happy that they took that out and so the guys couldn't use it anymore. Hip drop is one of those things that I've seen, like Aiden Hutchinson in class. Example, when we played Detroit last year, Aiden Hutchinson tackled Dak and he you saw him, he dropped down. I was like, man, that's dude, come on now, you know what you're doing. I'm not saying that he's trying to hurt Dak, but I'm just like, you can't tackle guys like that. And I and I understand even from the Tony Pollard, Dude, you saw the tackle that broke his leg. You know what they're trying to take out in that aspect of guys getting hurt. But I just it begs the question of what do you want defenders to do?
Speaker 6: How do you get back down?
Speaker 5: Though get fired?
Speaker 6: I can't can't go to knee, can't go to get the hill, can't go But you know.
Speaker 2: The you know the sack that I'm talking about, you know the sac that I'm talking about. And I'm saying, you're dragging him down and you're trying. I mean, but you you bring all of your body weight down behind this legs. It's just a it's a dangerous play. And again, I don't know how if you're Aiden Hutchinson that you you tackle back and he's big, he's strong, you're trying to get him down, trying to move. It's not like you're hitting the stationary target trying to get away from you.
Speaker 5: It's coming. We're on our weight, We're definitely on our way to it.
Speaker 2: Till the offensive guy just fall down there, just to just fall down. If that's the case, don't get don't try to get no extra yards when you fit.
Speaker 4: If you getting chased down from behind, right, somebody, somebody wrap you up to try to bring you down, it's your responsibility to go ahead.
Speaker 5: Fall and they don't have to pull you.
Speaker 2: Biggest thing I hate too is on you see a guy on the screen, he catches the screen as soon as he turns around. The defender is in his legs because he has nowhere else to go. He has nowhere else to go. He can't, he can't anywhere next day. You know, if you've seen guys get blasted and they call.
Speaker 4: Him dirty and he a dirty player, to call him out he dirty, what is he supposed to do in that situation, because if he hits him, you know, look, it's under said roughness fifteen yards either way it goes.
Speaker 2: Or do you break a guy's leg and he's out for the rest of the season. It's crazy, man, I just thought that all these changes that quick. Yeah, all on defense though, hold on, it's tough.
Speaker 6: It's tough, all right. Uh, let's players lands for this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll come back next month, right next month, hopefully get Bury Church back in eastern.
Speaker 5: Good Friday coming up, Good Friday coming up east of this weekend. Y'all have a good time Easter egg hunts and all that good stuff. Yeah, I mean, you know, I'll be we what were thinking about.
Speaker 4: Craig good stuff, heck Ma Harrison, good stuff, Chris, Jazz, Joshi, will, everybody a part of the show. We appreciate the players lines. Brought to you by Tostitos. We'll talk to you next week on New Struys.
Speaker 3: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.