Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Welcome to the Marine Talks, Money market rap. What we talk about the biggest news in the markets this weekend? What is driving them? My Marine sums at Web UK Money editor at Large.
Speaker 2: I'm Joinstad, senior reports and author of them. I need to steal newsletter.
Speaker 1: All right, John, I've made a terrible mistake. I went on holiday.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: I know, and not only did I leave you to all sorts of things about yourself and let's end, let's podcast alone. And I'm slightly concerned that someone might suddenly look around and go, why do we need her? He seems to do it just fine. But I'm hoping that won't happen. And you'll back me up if anyone says anything.
Speaker 2: You've seen them in here. I've lost in the last week. I think it's fairly safe to see that your job is safe.
Speaker 1: Yes, we just need to practice. You need to practice. Say things like I can't do it without her. She's vital, that kind of thing. Anyway. The problem is that while I've been away, so much has happened. So much has happened that I'm not even quite sure where I am anymore.
Speaker 2: It's been busy, yeah, a few weeks, but it mostly boils down to we guy borrowed too much money to bet on the I stalks and blew up his hedge fund. A hole load of South Koreans borrowed too much to bet on the ice stocks and blew up their stock market. But now everything's basically fine because everyone thinks that the Federal Reserve is biased towards cutting interest rates or at least keeping them where they are. And so now the market's getting all excited again because in their heads all the leverages out, which is not true at all. But this overheaning of the idea is kind of going to an extent. And meanwhile the feed is quite reluctant to these interest rates. And you've also got Scott Bessing, the US Treasury Secretary, trying to be basicly nudge Japan anti holding on into its US government debt and so keep intro streets kind of capped and hence easiest monetary policy campaigned. We you know, some people up, but we'll see if means everyone's excited. Oh yeah, and Ryan I ran.
Speaker 1: Back in politics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, anyway, so that was a very gaalpeled No that was.
Speaker 1: That was a great summary. Word has happened. So basically everything is pretty much as it was when I left. Yeah, actually, yeah, the last two weeks are kind of irrelevant. Yeah, it's basically it's back to the exuberance. Back to exuberance, back to momentum, back to interest rates are going to stay low. Everything's going to be fine. Back to AI is the dream. Everyone's earnings are going to go berserk forever and it's going to brickichet out through the economy and we don't need to worry about anything until we are suddenly made extinct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, Yeah, I think that's biasly it good business is usual business is you should go on holiday more often you come back.
Speaker 1: That's changed, everything has changed, and nothing has changed.
Speaker 2: I did feel so this this week. Guy Leonard ash and Berger I think was his name, But so he's he's ended up blowing up his hedge fund like the night before he gets married. And then, I mean, to be fair, he lived to fight another day. I mean, because he owns private steakes and all the big companies, but he also owned a load of public stuff and based on what happened is that he got kind of margin called because he borrowed too much. And then Ken Griffin, who is like a hedge fund tycoon and obviously a guy who's been around the block quite a lot, clearly said to him, Okay, son, I can buy your public equities off you, but you're going to have to give me them for a significant discount, presumable. That's what happened. So they did the deal, and he's fund has effectively survived. Apparently today he dropped another half a billion in one of the private companies and he's.
Speaker 1: So people are still giving him money and his new wife doesn't have cause to think she might have made a terrible mistake.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I mean it need to be fair. If you can do something like that, you should do it in your twenties because that will stop you from doing it in your forties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the wedding venue still had all its bills paid.
Speaker 2: So everything, yeah exactly ends well, or is it?
Speaker 1: Or is it exactly? But the people you should worry about more. I had this conversation in another podcast earlier in the week. The people you should worry about it? Of course, it's the Korean retail investor caught up in a momentum rally in astoria is as old as market history, right over and over and over again. The retail investor ends up getting pulled into her she's momentum rally with borrowed money, they get a margin call, and it all collapses around them.
Speaker 2: On the one hand, there's all that personal responsibility stuff. On the other hand, you know, you kind of launch these two times leverage single stock ETFs a bull market, and you know, I I just think that sometimes the spade that's going against me a libertarian, I think guardriols are there for a reason, and if you're going to have them, then they should actually be imposed and play. The regulator should have at some point before these were launched, said, hang on a minute, this isn't a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it is definitely the case. You get caught in these momentum ranis towards the end and you do make permanent capital losses, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, stuff.
Speaker 1: Doesn't necessarily come back. You don't get saved.
Speaker 2: And it's fine if you're you know, in your twenties and you can play make it back, But if you are in your forties or lost though somewhere on the retirement then that's a significant problem.
Speaker 1: The interesting one is gold, right, and that we'd be obviously we follow God relentlessly here and silver and having had a very torrent time falling off their highs, then I both bouncing back quite quite nicely. And I assume, as you said earlier, that's partly to do with interest rates. It's partly to do would you politics. I think central banks are still buying, So the current central bank has been buying, et cetera. So the story that we were hearing and telling at the beginning of the year remained basically intact.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Simon White, who's the Bloomberd macro strategies for one of the podcasts while You're Away, and he was kind of making the point and a degreebium that obviously gold had reached that it had become a momentum trade at the start of the year, so a lot of that needed to be blowing off anyway. But then you've got Iran breaking out, you get the fear that inflation's going to go up there for interest rates are going to go up, and you kind of notice that gold's basically unusually traded in the opposite direction at oil since the war's been going on. So I think that definitely this week that I mean, they kind of cease fire coming back and they play helped. But I do think it's this thing of people deciding that the Kevin Walsh fed is going to be an easy money wan. I mean, I mean a lot of that is on the basis I think more of their own kind of wishful thinking, our biases. I mean, I think they're very right, but I'm not sure where the kind of fool evidence for this is. But you know, it kind of seems to make sense, and everyone's happy with that story.
Speaker 1: So but that's a treasure. Ills are still high, aren't they. And that's the other thing that happened when I was away. So this sharp rise, relatively sharp rise in treasury ill Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I think that. I guess I says one reason why why people are starting they make the easy money connection, because we've got Scott Person, the US equivalent of the Chancellor kind of going out to Japan and getting together with the Japanese Chancellor and saying we're not going to let the en get any weaker. And the whole US angle there is Japan's the largest foreign holder the US treasuries. If Japan is getting stressed about the n being way, which it is because the voters are starting to get irritated by inflation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't mind a little bit of inflation, but not too.
Speaker 2: Much, yeah, exactly, especially after being I mean, that's the other interesting about that is it shows just how agreeable mild deflation is for consumers. It might make everyone else miserable, but you know, the Japanese people have been pretty happy I think for the despite the lost decades and all the rest of it. But so getting back to the point about the weekend, if the Japanese need to defend the end, and one way to do it is to sell US treasuries, and of course what Besson's done, as he said, look, rather than selling the treasuries, you can use them as collateral with the FED to borrow US dollars, which you can then you know, sell and strengthen the end that way, and it means that you don't end up driving up the yield on US treasuries. So the fact that they're worried about that, I think is kind of tipping people back towards the kind of financial repression PAM argument against a positive of gold.
Speaker 1: I suppose speaking of financial oppression and you're you're a desperate desire for there to be more of it in the UK, right, or for people to be people to be forced to say thank you for their tax relief inside their rapids by buying, by buying appression, not quite financial oppression, but it's a similar it's a similar thing, you know, being forced to do particular things with your money. And I agree with you on this, by the way, I agree with you. I think it should happen, but it does fall under the wider umbrella of financial oppression every time you are and it's not quite forced, is it, but heavily nuts not doing something. It's a type of it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't know we're talking about pushing domestic savers money into the UK stock market and doing it by restricting tax breaks, are making them a bit less generous and a bit less widespread, or even just making better once for investing in the UK. But I think the difference for this, and that's the one person who changed my mind on this, with Simon French over at Panier Liborom who's quite often on a podcast, and this point was just that it would be one thing if everyone else did it the way we do it, but they don't. You know, it's kind of we've basically unilaterally disarmed and you can't really do that in a world where capital is kind of pretty free flowing still and then expect the not to be consequences. So if we want to have a stock market left and I do, I think increasingly, I really do, mean that's you need a source of long term domestic capital because otherwise it's just short term money and passive funds and private equity predators basically, and it's getting you know, I mean two stocks today, two fifty stocks today gone going pretty much on.
Speaker 1: The plus side. That means that fifty has been on the face of it very well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's hit a new records.
Speaker 1: Silver linings, silver Linings.
Speaker 2: The good time of this is is kind of a win win for for private investors in the in the short term. But you know, you ow in the UK and if ends up just being an investment trust that's closing down and like we're dating it now, have been great, okay, so you you profit from the discount closing, but preferably it would be turned back into an actual machine that enables companies to grow and you know, rewards companies for long term value creation rather than just kicking them around based on short term moves elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what we'd really like to say, of course, is stamp duty being abolished so that you can trade equities tax free in the UK like you can pretty much everywhere else in the world. But it's a difficult political environment that that, isn't it, because people will will present that as a tax relief for the rich, getting that pretty much everyone in the UK is an equity investor via their defined contribution pension.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think the problem is with that is Yeah, that's purely calm because the actual amount of money is about bout three and a half billion nothing, and there is buttons and it's going to automatically get lower because the bigger companies, I mean, Astrosenic has already got a dual lesson in the US that effectively means nobody does actually have to pay that duty and you can see you know, other companies doing.
Speaker 1: That's bad happening with glen Core, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if I mean, Glen's going to get a secondary lesson in Australia, and I guess I say, you're right, probably I probably could be. It couldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone world, Well, yeah, why would you not? Why would you pay half a percent every time you buy and sell it and did in the UK and you could just do it somewhere else and not pay that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean I suppose that important thing is the more foots one hundred companies that do it. They are we are mostly the stamp duty comes from. I think Astra alone accounted for something like two hundred million out of the three point five billion, So it's going to be a diminishing take anyway. But yeah, the problem with doing it is that it looks lighter. Sorry, it's very easy to paint it as a tax cut for the rich, which of course it just isn't.
Speaker 1: That's like all politics in the UK, isn't it a politics comes.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's kind of pathetic, isn't it? By storytelling and the like? You know, storytelling isn't true, which is the other big problem.
Speaker 1: Should we had done something positive?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's always the demand for positivity. When when do we ever give you a positivity? Come on, I said that.
Speaker 1: Now I'm trying to think of something.
Speaker 2: Well, the Edinburgh Show is sold out and that's quite Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that is very positive. You can come to the show as you can't come to the show if you haven't got a ticket, but you could conceivably come to the show if you do have a ticket, and then you can listen to us saying negative things in person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's positive because there's an appetad for the wisdom of Adam Smith, even two hundred and fifty years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I see there are there's a waiting list for Thursday, and I think there's a waiting list for the Friday show for those who don't listen to our show all the time. We're talking about our show the Edinburgh Fringe, which is on for three days at the end of the month, where John and I chat with a variety of people about a variety of things, and it's a hood, it's a hood. There's a waiting list for a couple of days, and then I think there are a few tickets left for the Saturday if you rush. Well, there was six yesterday, but I imagine they're gone by now, but you know, you could give it a go.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a positive. Do you think Oasis stale dynamic pricing is the way forward here. I mean, I'm not trying to, you know, goge the market control.
Speaker 1: But you know what would happen, John, You know what would happen right if we did dynamic pricing. It wouldn't long before Andy Burnham announced that we were making too much money and that we're gonna have to cap our ticket prices.
Speaker 2: So then you can say you were bringing great things to the actual North, the real North.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's extraordinary, isn't it? From Manchester suddenly it became the North. I don't know anyway, that takes us off another rabbit hole, not starting on that one. Gonna have to stop anyway. So basically there, if we were to summarize the last two weeks, a lot happened, but in the end kind of nothing happened. Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Excellent. Thanks for listening to this week's Marin Talks Money, Markets Rap. If you like our show, rate review and subscribe where every listen to podcasts. Also, be sure to follow me and John on ex or Twitter at marinas w and John Underscore Stuff. This episode was produced by Summersadi, Moses and Jennifer Seely. Questions and comments on this show and all Our shows are always welcome. Our show email is Merror Money at Bloomberg dot net