Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode eleven of Native Land Pod and where we give it to you here straight, no chaser. We are your political group chat Tiffany Cross and Welcome home y'all.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Coh a group chat now though, Yeah, wead a political group chat. That's how we talk like. People feel like they're part of the conversation.
Speaker 3: I thought we were in I thought we were in a living room on a couch, and then everybody else is kind of just you know, in the room with us.
Speaker 2: Well, we are an actual group chat. I gotta walk around.
Speaker 1: We're back too, I get that too. We are so we do for the viewers. We do have an actual group chat. Where is the three of us and we talk all day throughout the week.
Speaker 2: But when we are here on this.
Speaker 1: Podcast, we want you to feel like you're part of our political group chat. Sou they're really I mean you guys, tell me if you disagree. There really is no difference in what we talk about or how we speak on this podtrasts versus when we're.
Speaker 2: Not on screen.
Speaker 3: I used a couple of ninjas.
Speaker 1: I might throw a tantrum here in there if angel I will say this, If Angela does throw a tantrum, it is on our.
Speaker 3: Behalf, usually in advance of one of them.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel. I've never felt don't you and don't do that? Yeah, exactly. I love you, guys, exactly.
Speaker 1: On this week's episode, we're going to talk a little bit about political violence. This ain't nothing new to black folks, but a lot of folks were talking about it, and so we went a weigh in with that as well, but also a more important issue, we're going to take a deep dive into you guys. Remember how Republicans were patting themselves on the back talking all about the First Step Act. Well, this week the Supreme Court felt a fatal blow to a key piece of the First Step Act. And we're going to get into that on this show. And what would we be without your viewer questions? So we're going to be tackling all your viewer questions. I can't wait to hear them. We'd like to be surprised, so we hear them in the moment. And I know many of you have been waiting with baited breath for my take on March madness.
Speaker 2: Don't let you down.
Speaker 1: We are going to get into that as well, and the words of Migos, let's walk it like we talk it.
Speaker 2: Give me that beat.
Speaker 1: Before we kick off this week's show, I do want to turn it over to my amazingly brilliant colleague, Angela, who is so smart off the dome. But she does have something that she wants to address from last weeks show. Angela, what you got?
Speaker 2: I messed up, y'all. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: So last week we were in this very heated discussion about executive powers to pardon. There are many states where the executive does contain that power to pardon individuals, but in Georgia, they do have a five member board that is appointed. My nose is about to run in this moment, but I'll get through this. And it's not because I'm crying because I'm wrong, although that is likely as well. But they have a five member board. They are appointed. They can determine men that someone should be pardoned, but it is only after they serve a portion of their sentence.
Speaker 2: So I apologize for the misinformation.
Speaker 4: We definitely try really hard to be factually accurate, So I apologize for that we are moving right along.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tony flat.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll just say this, You're a brilliant, brilliant person, and I appreciate your willingness to clarify this. But you know, for the viewers, I just want you to know we deal with a lot of this stuff. As we're in the conversation. I can't predict what Angela is gonna say or Tip's gonna say, and so it requires really being at the ready. But apology accept it if that's what thinks.
Speaker 4: You know what Andrew for that, I just want to send you some level.
Speaker 2: Think.
Speaker 1: Okay, can I just tell them you they keep harassing me because you guys can't see this, but on their when they make a heart motion with their hands, they can't. They won't see it on this feed like all these hearts, all their hearts.
Speaker 2: Come through on their screen.
Speaker 1: They can do fireworks and I have a pre gentrified version of our feet and I don't have any of these effects, and they keep going it in my face and their big fancy gingrified penthouses of what they do.
Speaker 2: Poorly resource speed.
Speaker 1: I ain't got no fireworks, no hard We'll put this up on a social clip. So y'all can see what I'm talking, but I'm left out anyway, Moving right.
Speaker 5: Along, China now is building a couple of massive plants where they're going to build the cars in Mexico. And think they think that they're going to sell those cars into the United States. You're going to not hire Americans and you're going to sell the cars. Now, We're going to put a one tower on every single car that comes across the line, and you're not going to be able to sell those cars if I get elected. Now, if I don't get elected, it's going to be a blood bath for the whole that's going to be the least of it. It's going to be a blood bath for the country that'll be the least of it.
Speaker 1: All Right, So the reason why we're playing that sound, I'm sure you guys heard this sound a lot in the echo chambers, and we wanted to weigh in here because political violence is definitely not something that's new to our community.
Speaker 2: But you know, Donald Trump's.
Speaker 1: People have said that he was talking about the economy when he says that, But why might we think that he was inciting political violence? And we're not here to say what he was saying we want you all to decide. But the reason why we might think that, take a listen to some of his previous violent rhetoric.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I'll do the fighting myself or if other people will. Maybe he should have been roughed up, because it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing. If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of him, would you, seriously, I'd like to punch him in the face. I'll tell you try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court.
Speaker 6: Don't worry about him.
Speaker 5: In the good old days, this doesn't happen because they used to treat them very, very rough, and when they protested once, you know they would.
Speaker 3: Not do it again.
Speaker 6: So easily we've become weak. We become weak, and you know what, the audience swung back, and I thought it was very very appropriate. The audience hit back, And that's what we need a little bit more of now.
Speaker 5: Part of the problem, and part of the reason it takes so long, is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I would have done well, but I would have been out there fighting folks. I don't know if I would have done well, but I would have been boom boom boom up beat.
Speaker 7: Do you plan on paying for the legal fees of this older gentleman in North Carolina who sucker punched the protester? From what I understand, he was sick sticking a certain finger up in the air, and that is a terrible thing to do, and in front of somebody that frankly wants to see America made great again. It's possible you could help him with legal fees if this man needs it. I've actually instructed my people to look into it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to think Mashable offer that clip as they collected the various times that Donald Trump actually has unquestionably call for violence. So, Andrew, you were a candidate, you were on on the trail, Come on, what do you make of this kind of the response necessary?
Speaker 3: Could you imagine if I was running for governor to state of Florida and just sort of let it flip? Now, I get he may have meant something different in one context, But but you just showed the video Mashable. You know, Mashable's video of repeated times. I mean, I remember back in twenty sixteen, the brother walking up those stairs and the dude, oh, the guy coming, Jimmy just laying in one on him, and then Trump, you know, take it easy. But if you got to go to court, you know you're in the in the video, I'll defend you. Yeah. The truth is all his supporters have been the ones defending him in court and all of his legal fees. But the political violence that this man insights, I can understand how it could very easily be construed that, you know that he's saying that if he loses the election, it'll be a blood bath, and that relating to something like a January sixth style deal. Now, I also received that that wasn't the context of at least a sentence at that time. But in truth, y'all, this guy, he signals to us every day how dangerous he is. And I'm just not sure what infuriates me is I'm no longer surprised by anything he does. I am, however, dumbfounded how it is that his supporters are so irresistibly unmovable, unshakable, and dying in their loyalty to this dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not surprised, honestly, And my issue with this Angela is you worked on Capitol Hill, so you know there are over thirty law enforcement agencies here who you know addressed January sixth. That is not the case for municipalities across this country. So we talked about Governor Gretchen Whitmer in the attempted kidnapping plot against her before. We know political violence all too well. You know, from the summer of nineteen nineteen the state sanctioned violence. So this is not something when we hear this kind of rhetoric, it makes me nervous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there are several things.
Speaker 4: One is anytime I hear him say anything that sounds remotely violent, it just is very triggering because to your point, I did work on Capitol Hill, and on January sixth, I was frantic trying to find all my loved ones, my people, my chosen family on the hill. And I think if you don't have that context and you don't know what it's like to you know, I can't find Latrese, who worked for the Speaker.
Speaker 2: I haven't talked to Hope.
Speaker 4: I'm texting Congressman Thompson and Congressman Carson and Congressman Batty and Vince to make sure you know every not Vince, Vince wasn't there yet, but making sure everyone was good.
Speaker 2: It was Kyle.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that I would say is it's maddening to me that folks think, like, oh, he's a good guy, we just take it out of context. He's been doing this since he you know, got a full page I add out in three New York papers against then what was the Central Park five, but now we know them as they exonerated five, including a New York City council member. He's been doing this, calling for the death penalty, you know, calling Colin Kaepernick s ob like.
Speaker 2: These are the things that he does, and he functions as his own wing.
Speaker 4: Of Russian disinformation and misinformation by like tapping on the pressure points that exist that are divides between us and them. And I think that is what makes me upset. The other thing that's really frustrating is, as you know, we started this show with a fact check, Donald Trump is allergic to facts. He speaks and whatever he let's come he allows to come out of his mouth, he just goes.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: And the folks who are beholden to him, I'm not talking about the people that are on the fringe. But like his D hive, right right, like his D hive, he is going in and they are like, yeah, let's go. Well, here's the thing. He called for a hundred percent tariff in that clip clip that's just as violent as the bloodbath portion. Why because most industrial goods have a tariff of two percent. One hundred percent is unreal. And he sells people on a dream that he has no intention of ever seeing come to pass. And in fact, when he gets there, you're going to be You're the pawn.
Speaker 2: Now you're gonna be the one on.
Speaker 4: The chopping block. And that is the part that's most frustrating. He will say whatever is necessary. We've talked about it on this podcast. Yeah, that they that they didn't pay for, that we would have had to pay for. It's all of these things, and it's really really frustrating to watch. But I think our responsibility is to ensure that even when he's out here saying the dumb stuff that ends up getting his crew all hype, we still got a responsibility to play the full thing. And even with the full thing, it's not better. There's no such thing as one hundred percent tariff, Playboy, you.
Speaker 3: Know, what that, Tiffany, Well, I think that the scary part because you said it sort of scares you, and I guess all of us none of us are surprised. We know what the man does. What does scare me, though, is I'm looking at a hearing on television right now where they're going after the Biden, you know, son again and are attempting now to use the lovers of government, the lover the lovers of power to track down their political opponents. And they have co conspirators who are willing to tote that water on Capitol Hill. I'm talking about real consequences if you refuse to go and test before Congress. The fact that this man is in you know, the Trump guy's going to jail down here in Florida. Navarro is going to jail down in Florida. Can you imagine what they could do if they had a president and even a slim majority or just a slight minority in the Congress, How they can weaponize our tax dollars and the institutions of ultimate power in this country to go after people who they don't like for no reason at all. That scares me because I've been on the other side of that that frightens me because it has the veneer of legitimacy when all it is is a hit job, a government.
Speaker 2: Sanctioned hit job, but not that you're paying for.
Speaker 3: And we're paying for it, and the person, the people who find themselves in the cross hair, they pay for it, doubly right. They don't get to see the redeeming value in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what you both have brought up too are really interesting points, Angela from a policy perspective and yours Andrew from this a political retribution perspective. And mind that I'll punctuate actual physical, bloody violence. Do you guys remember when a bunch of black folks got so sick of living in this country and being oppressed by four hundred years, and they got so upset that they stormed the capitol and tried to take over and overthrow a whole I don't remember that either, because we have never done anything like that. And when angry conservative whites are mad, it is a danger to us. All we can look at just there's a theory that everything repeats itself every hundred years, and we look at the violence in nineteen nineteen, the summer of nineteen nineteen, what happened to black neighborhoods, black folks, and and you can look at Tulsa, Angela and I are friends with Do Mario. Those black folks in the Greenwood district weren't bothering anybody, they were just living and it was anger for that. So for me, I'm literally even though I still haven't thank you, but I take your points on policy and political retribution, but I am literally concerned just about throwing knuckles about violence industrys. You know, we should do a pod on many uh mini pot on gun ownership, maybe because I do worry. I literally worry if you're an elector in Colorado or if you're a ballot count in Georgia, like the two black women we heard testify, and you are getting confronted with actual violence, what do you do?
Speaker 2: How do you live your life? So it's very.
Speaker 3: N didn't even have to always come in physical form, right as we mentioned the violence, Yeah, the terrorizing of those women in Georgia, the terrorizing that happened here in Florida, where the governor decided to go after people who thought that they had their rights restored, and deputies government law enforcement showing up at three o'clock at three a m. In the morning, banging on people's doors like they just robbed the bank and murdered everybody in the bank when they took the money. No, they showed up, and they showed up at that time to terrorize people. This is what I mean by using the levers, the legitimate levers of power, the legitimate powers of the state, to then weaponize them and turn them on an individual or on a community for political purposes, for political gain. There was nothing to be reaped by what Dissentis did in this state other than to say, if you think you're going to have the nerve to go out there and register for your vote and then have the audacity to then go and actually cast that vote, man, let me tell y'all, I'll put the state on you. And that's exactly what that they've done. And it is fatis, it is violent, it's terror and it's and it's meant to be a shot over the bow that anybody who looks like you and thinks that they can perform the same way, let this serve as a lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's exactly what it's meant to.
Speaker 1: That's actually how law enforcement inflated their numbers at the turn of the century, they were it was fine to be a black person, to hang a black person, to kill a person, but you had to be wearing a badge while you did it.
Speaker 2: That is state sanctioned violence.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that, I want to shift us to criminal justice reform. So don't go anywhere. We're going to take a quick break. On the other side of this break, we're going to take a deep dive into what happened this week that dealt a devastating blow to the First Step Act, and we'll have devastating consequences on millions of black votes. So don't go inwhere We'll be right back. So big news out of the Supreme Court this week. First hours, just hours after the Supreme Court gave Texas officials permission to pretty much jail and prosecute migrants who are crossing the Southern border, they were given them them who are crossing Southern border without authorization, and Appeals Court late Tuesday blocked the state from enforcing this very controversial law, which is you know, again, as black folks were all too familiar, it's almost borderline vigilante law. The law allows state officials to arrest and detain people they su expect of entering the country illegally.
Speaker 2: That's very subjective.
Speaker 1: Of course, this invites the inevitable racial profiling, as well as detentions and attempted deportations by state authorities, more state sanctioned violence, and in Texas, Latinos represent forty percent of the population. This is Republican Governor Greg Abbott run amok. You heard a lot of this in the news, rightfully, so this is a big law. But what you didn't hear a lot about is another ruling the Supreme Court issued which will have devastating consequences on many black folks.
Speaker 2: This is essentially a blow to the First Step Act.
Speaker 1: They essentially have taken away a judge's ability to override mandatory minimum prison sentences. Now as background, the First Step Act sentencing reform components would shorten federal drug sentences and expand the judicial what they call quote unquote safety valve. This is a provision that permits judges to deviate from mandatory minimums, use common sense essentially, and impose more lenient sentences in some cases involving none violent drug offenses. The Supreme Court essentially did that, Angela, you pointed out this morning, we have quite an interesting person who led the descent on that and that.
Speaker 4: Is yes, Actually, the majority opinion in the Pulsifer versus the United States case was led by Alena Kagan, who, as you all may recall, was a Barack Obama appointee. The First Step Act was originally introduced as Criminal Justice Reform, bipartisan support. Even the Koch Brothers were on board with this. While Barack Obama served as our president, the bill did not see its way across the finish line, but through the efforts of folks like Hakeem Jeffrey, Cedric Richmond and others, this bill did pass Congress and was signed into law by Donald Trump. So Alena Kagan, and I'm happy to go into what the issues at point in at issue, what was that issue in this case if we want to.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she led the opinion.
Speaker 1: Well I just misspoke when I said leading the dissent majority of people at the majority opinion, Yeah, which you know, again we have to focus on judges the same way the right does.
Speaker 2: She was, you know, an Obama pointee, which is which is interesting. This is I first just want to make it clear to the viewers.
Speaker 1: If you guys don't mind how mandatory minimums impact our community. This is something that we really haven't heard a lot about since the nineties, and this is not the first time that's happened. So in May you may recall, and this is my challenge with the media. In May twenty seventeen, Trump tweeted out that he may have secret recordings of his conversations with James Comey. James Comy was the former FBI director at the time who Trump had just fired, and so it was a flurry. The media just rushed all over this. This was breaking news all.
Speaker 2: Day for days.
Speaker 1: On that same day, then Attorney General Just Sessions rescinded an Obama era rule which told federal prosecutors to avoid charges for low level drug offenders.
Speaker 2: This is the.
Speaker 1: Challenge when the media does not there was no breaking news for that, even though this would impact tons of us. So I just am happy to have this discussion with you guys, because this is devastated Black people for generations when mandatory minimums were introduced in the eighties and ninety these. So Angela, if you do, if you're if you're available to break down the Pulsifer case and what was key at issue. I think that's equally important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the main issue is the safety valve requirement. Pulsifer challenged whether or not the legislation meant and instead of or. And Polsifer's argument was that the legislation meant or these three conditions.
Speaker 2: It was or or or.
Speaker 4: So the conditions were the defendant does not have more than four prior criminal history points with an exception for points incurred from one point offenses his argument. Or the defendant does not have a prior three point offense his argument again, or the defendant does not have a prior two point violent offense. If you read those three conditions, they sound like ours. They don't sound like An's. Alena Kagan's opinion. The majority opinion decided that all of those are and so in order to qualify to be released from prison under the First Step Act, you would have all of these would have to be met. Every single one of the conditions would have to be met. They interpreted the legislation passed by the House and the Senate, the bill signed into lawn by Donald Trump, as these three conditions have to be met in order for you to be released from prison. So I just want to shout out in the defense because there's also a surprise in the descent.
Speaker 2: I apologize. There's also a surprise.
Speaker 4: Justice Soda Mayor expected Justice Katanji Brown Jackson expected Neil Gorsich led the descent, and that is a Trump appointee. And so I'm curious to understand why there was any descent here at all. That it's clear that if you take away the oars, then you take away the discretion of the judge, which is the entire point of the First Step Act Andrew.
Speaker 1: All fifty states in DC have mandatory minimum laws. This has also led to the overpopulation of prisons. Angelie, you know know the folks over at Rock Nation, they've done some great work on holding the line on Parchment prison. Great documentary by the way, You guy should check it out if you haven't. But this is let Yeah, that's the name of the documentary, Exposing Parchment. Yes, so please check that out. It's an amazing guy. It's hard to get through, but it's necessary. But consider how they have funneled so many black people, disproportionately black men and boys into these prisons. This is a devastating policy that is bringing back. The pendulum is swinging and I'm concerned when you have somebody like Ron DeSantis heading a state, andrew about what happens in Florida, you just talk to us about people being arrested for voting.
Speaker 3: This is very and it's the truth is is that there are more dysanticists who don't get as much press, who are in these executive positions, really all across the country. And while people like Donald Trump are loud and proud and big distraction, we sometimes those of us on the consumer side of the information, you know, we make it out to be about Trump did this, Trump did that. But please know that when these kinds of decisions come down, I attribute Trump to them as well. When we have governors who show out like Rohn de Santis does, he's as much of a threat to democracy as we deem Trump to be a threat to democracy. And this the decision here always causes me to think about, well, who are the bedfellows here? Who are the who are the people who stand the most to gain when you keep more people locked up and keep people locked up longer. Well, you got the prison industrial complex, the folks who are building these things, the caterers who provide the meals in these respective prisons. When you let when you let more people out and fewer people are serving crimes for what are most folks? And I believe you got sound from the Vice president talking about folks being criminalized in spending time in prison for marijuana. You've got folks spending time in prison who have never been convicted found guilty of a crime. In fact, in most local jails, in prisons, that's the majority population. They're awaiting their time before a judge and a jury. And while they're there, we're keeping somebody in business. So I always like to think, follow the money. Who stands to benefit Who at the intersection of this stands to benefit the most by putting more people in prison and keeping in prison, keeping people in prison longer, because certainly isn't it isn't the greater community, greater society, because the more person is in prison and for the longer period of time they come out, and they tend to re offend. Those who never make their way to prison. Yeah, don't come into contact for these petty violations as a young person. They don't return, right, they don't go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I was a big deal.
Speaker 1: In Maryland, Mosby and Baltimore stopped prosecuting low level crimes. Again, she was disrupting a system, and we've talked a lot about what happened to her. We'll have more on that at the end of the show, so stick around. But Andrew, I'm really happy you brought up Vice President Kamala Harris because I want to play two sound bites from her. The first, I think, if we're talking about this problem, it is important to highlight what the executive branch at different branch of government outside the judiciary, but what the executive branch has done to try to correct some of these things at the federal level. So let's take a listen to what she had to say at a roundtable she hosted this month.
Speaker 8: I believe that the promise of America includes equal justice under the law, and for too many, our criminal justice system has failed to live up to that core principle. And I say that with full knowledge of how this system has worked, including my experience as a prosecutor. The President and I have addressed inequities through implementation of long overdue criminal justice reforms. For example, we have at the fee level band choke holds, we have restricted no knock warrants, and created the first effort database to track misconduct by law enforcement. This is critically important that last piece. The first pieces may be obvious, but as we know, all too often we have seen examples of where a police officer has been found to have committed misconduct in one.
Speaker 2: Region, but then can move to another region.
Speaker 9: And that record does not follow that individual, and then of course the same behavior repeats itself. So the fact that we have made a commitment to having that kind of database is really very significant in the push toward ensuring that we have justice in the criminal justice system. We have also been focused.
Speaker 1: On re entry, reentry, reentryent right on target with you, Andrew, and in.
Speaker 3: The record, not following a mistake, not following you for the rest of your life. So take for instance, when I was in municipal government, and I know a number of them did this around the country and the President Biden, President Obama, Champion. This is the whole banning of the box right where you go in you apply for a job, you get measured on your merits. How do you stand up against the qualities and the qualifications that meet this particular job. We're not going to ask you about your criminal history on the application, because we're going to get you in there if you qualify to measure you against the position that you're applying for. And my city we did that, and then we looked at criminal history after a decision was made by the hiring person that that was the candidate they wanted, and so then they would look at the criminal history and determine if the crime that was committed is in squares with the person that I interviewed and that I measured from their employment contract, employment application, and make a decision that's full of more than just one bad decision that a person has made in their life, and and they're kicked out. And the problem with this, the at on the first Step Act is most everything that gets taken away from the individual as a result of having had a criminal offense, deal with their ability to live, to survive, food stamps, federal housing gets taken away. You can't get any federal subsidy for any of the food based programs that exist. You get unemployment, you get stricten from being able to compete for certain jobs. I understand the whole need for you know, you take to certain travel, you know, restrictions of that kind of thing. I don't get how you take a person who is getting out of the system, who's trying to make their lives better. What sens does it make to then restrict them from housing and restrict them from food support that they need to live, and then restrict them from the ability to work so that they can provide for themselves and they don't have to default back into a life of criminality. And I just think the system doesn't make sense because it says one thing on one hand and then erects law barriers preventions that keep you from doing the thing that we say we want you to be able to do, which is be upright, upstanding and provide for yourself.
Speaker 4: But if the system were going to follow how it's set up to work, you know, going back to this First Step Act case with Pulsifer, it's a very easy fix. Congress can say to the Supreme Court what it intended by amending the First Step Act and clarifying that the end was in fact an ore. And while they're at it, it would be great if they could run that thing back eleven years and do voting rights, you know, like there's we've been waiting for them to revise and fix Shelby versus Holder since then, and we clearly need that because we see that the Supreme Court generally is not going to be on the side of the people, particularly those who find themselves the most marginalized, despite all of our significant contributions to the building of this country. So it is really really frustrating to see that you would take away the discretion of the judicial branch when you, in fact are writing the opinion for the judicial branch and putting folks who are non violent offenders, non violent drug offenses on their record, and this is what you just this is how you decide to come down on them.
Speaker 2: It's really it's appalling. Unfortunately.
Speaker 10: The other, of course, was the just really quick for Andrew Shelby the holder, was the twenty thirteen ruling that gut it section three of the Voting Rights Act that essentially anti history thank you four and five, but essentially gave states the control over how they oversaw elections.
Speaker 2: And that's how you got legislation like you can't give somebody.
Speaker 1: A bottle of water while they're waiting in line, which is ridiculous. Andrew, whatever you're going to say next, I want you to toss to a Vice President Harris a sound bite when you're done.
Speaker 3: No, let's let's let's let's hear from the Vice President, because I think she's really finding and seeding her voice more deeply, I think in this criminal justice reform, and she's got the kind of resume as a former prosecutor I think to withstand the kind of scrutiny that would normally come from I don't know an African American saying we need criminal justice reform.
Speaker 1: Well, they should talk about what they have done. And this is an area where this is something they haven't done, and I think they need to and it's the area near and dear to my heart hear.
Speaker 3: I know what this is.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: We have gathered.
Speaker 8: Today, however, to address specifically the injustices that we have seen in the federal marijuana policy. I have said many times I believe, I think we all bot this table believe nobody should have to go to jail for smoking weed. And what we need to do is recognize that far too many people have been sent to jail for simple marijuana possession, and the impact is such that in particular, Black Americans and Latinos are four times more likely, four times more likely to be arrested arrested for marijuana possession, and the disparity is even larger when you talk about the subset of black men and Latino matt.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, guys, this is a huge problem for me. I don't know why this is considered. Uh, what is it? Angela class It's a class a classy class a drug in the same category as Angela's fact checking me. But it's in the same category as heroin, as cocaine.
Speaker 2: I don't mind telling you, guys. If you met me, you already know this.
Speaker 1: I am a consumer of marijuana and marijuana products.
Speaker 2: I'm not a.
Speaker 1: Huge Some people go home and have a glass of wine, people go out, and you know, this is something that I do. And the fact that it has been so criminalized, but it's not even about me. Marijuana is legal in thirty eight states. It is revenue generating in many municipalities. It is California has is a huge tax on marijuana in California. But this is something to me that I think not be criminalized and I don't understand why it is.
Speaker 2: And there's yes, and I will say this.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people who work on Capitol Hill, a lot of people who worked in different administrations, and I know more who smoke than those I don't, and so even having it as its class, it's like you're actually eliminating a huge talent pool of people who you know, have to mark on the box that yeah, I smoke sometimes, and it's just not fair.
Speaker 4: It's schedule one ante, Yeah, schedule one, same as cocaine, heroin and others. I think the thing just to go back to what Kamalo was just talking about, Vice President Harris just talking about, she said, no one should have to go to jail for smoking weed, No one should have to go to jail for eating it, no one should have to go to jail for selling it. I think like this is like we're at a pin point now where we have to actually eliminate the disparities that exist. There are folks who caught cases for also selling weed, but now there are white folks who were able to build big brands I don't know, like medmen they're not a sponsor in this podcast, who are making handover fist in ways where folks sold a fraction of what they sold. And so my thing is you actually actually also have to go a step further. It's not just about the folks that smoke. It's the folks who were trying to make ends meet selling weed and now they're locked up. I would go another step further and say, if it's any non violent drug offender, including Mark Polsaffer from the Supreme Court case, they probably should be shouldn't be catching time like that, Like, we've got to figure out something else for folks who are non violent offenders.
Speaker 2: We really do. This is supposed to be about rehabilitation.
Speaker 1: This is where prosecutors play a key role. Because we've told you prosecutors decide what cases to bring, what charges to bring, or what charges to not bring. And I've heard from more than one prosecutor they say, look, if you don't have the drug kingpin, i'm arrested, then turn the person you have into the drug kingpin. Because they are politically ambitious people sometimes who are trying to inflate their own career and so they want to turn the little you know, double back boy into Avon Barksdale at times. And uh so we can't be mad at you know, black women who take up these roles and use that role to help eradicate the criminal justice system that has been very punishing towards life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean and Angela, your point around the just just the contradiction that we have set up in the system where just because we've evolved as society now the big, big, big boxes that are coming in with marijuana that they're there there their penalty is profit. But for the for the folks who are in our neighborhoods and on the corners and are in many ways trying to to to get access to the basic means for survival for themselves and for the people who they love and care about. I know this because I had a brother and rather relatives who found themselves in that game. They're not only not out of jail, they're serving these sentences. They are scarred for the rest of their lives because they've always got to say that they've got this as part of their record as their background. And folks are making judgments about what they can and cannot do. No voting, no passports to travel internationally, no ability to serve on a jury. You got to go before this governor and ask for your ability to vote ever again, and your future not.
Speaker 4: Eligible for student aid either, I think.
Speaker 3: Student no federal programs whatsoever. So it's a walking, breathing contradiction, and the only difference between those folks in these.
Speaker 10: Is what.
Speaker 3: By and large largely the color of their skin. Who sits at the intersection of the impact, and we're carrying in our community a heavy burden that lasts a long as time.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you brought up a good point, Andrew about the jury pool, because then you consider how many people get eliminated from the jury pool, and that's how you have things like all white juries and certain municipals fo.
Speaker 3: To never get considered in right, they never get.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, so you are really not judged by a jury of your peers if you're overly criminalized and then you know, summarily dismissed from participating in basic functions of society over a jay And in my gentrified ass neighborhood, I see white boys walking down the street all the time, puffing and passing all day long, and I just think about man thirty years ago, this would this would have been a huge challenge if these were black folks. There are people who serve gave up decades of their life for things like this.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would just like to register my problem with some of the criminal justice reform as we pursue it. It seems like we only go in on criminal justice reform when it comes to the sentencing and when somebody then is incarcerated, conditions for incarcerations, so on and so forth. And my my critique is that the process of justice reform starts before that point. In the federal system, we got grand juries in all fifty states, and if a grand jury hands down an indictment, that person is as good as gone. And states of the fifty states, twenty five out of fifty have grand juries. And when those grand juries decide to indict, that person is as good as gone, either through their trial where they may be found guilty, or because they don't want to risk that they plea out, which is most times the case that happens between the attorneys, the prosecutors, and the defendants. And I'm simply saying, if the if the state or the federal government lose if their case is not proven. Why is it that the government never has to pay the legal bills of the folks that they took to task.
Speaker 2: Why is it that's some legislation you should get injured.
Speaker 3: That's rare. Why is it the prosecutor ever held accountable for telling false statements to a grand jury in pursuit of an indict man. In the civil side, I can't say I'm on sue Tiffany because she took an idea of mine and ran with it. If I bring that suit against you, Tiffany, and I lose, you have the ability to your judgment to come after me, get your legal fees and any other damages that you've incurred as a result of me coming after you. Faulty. That same burden, however, doesn't exist for the government, and it's an unit's an it's an outweighted system. And when we talk about reform, we ought to be reforming every single aspect of criminal justice law. If justice is blind, make it blind from the beginning until the end of the process. And that doesn't exist, and we got to incorporate that more and our conversations around criminal justice reform.
Speaker 4: I wanted to fact check myself, Lolo synth this as of July one, twenty twenty three, drug convictions no longer affect federal student Aida village eligibility. Okay, so that student AGA. I didn't just I just said about the student aid. I just wanted to clarify. I don't want here next week toalking about part ding.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it. I'm just saying food and shelter Maslow's hierarchy needs. That's number one safety security, food shelter.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am not arguing there. I agree.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know, I know. Friend, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Saying all the first step back because a second step is needed, and a lot of this policy rest at the state and local level, so there's a lot more work to do on criminal justice reform. We're gonna take a quick break, pay some bills. But when we come back, in the words Codis Blow, we are playing talking really basketbamb If you old enough, remember Curtis Blow, check it out.
Speaker 2: We'll see you on the other side of this break.
Speaker 1: All right, for you old enough folks, Curtis Blow saying it's time to talk bassket ball.
Speaker 2: Of course you do, all right. I hope you don't have to forgive my.
Speaker 1: My lacking, forgive my my lacking and singing abilities. But I think this is so cool because as a sports officionado and people are constantly asking my opinion on these type things. I think it's amazing that women's basketball in March Madness, the women's brackets are becoming just as popular as the men's baskets. I will say in full transparency. Angela reminded me that March Madness is college basketball, not the w NBA, as if a sports expert like me needed to be reminded of that too.
Speaker 2: But I got it. But I am.
Speaker 1: I honestly am thrilled our friend Aaron Haynes with the nineteenth It is like super into women's basketball. And so Angela and I and our group of friends the MACHETI shout out to you guys. We all went to Paris in the fall to support It was two black women, Don Staley and I forget the other coach's name, forgive me from Notre Dame, Notre Day, Yes, but they were playing in a basketball exhibition game in Paris, and I had so much fun.
Speaker 2: I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 1: So Kandice Parker recently waighed in with her thoughts on women's basketball and women's sports really getting more attention.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen to her and then we'll talk about it. On the other side.
Speaker 12: I think now people are realizing how important and how exciting it is to watch women's sports. And you know, we've been on this train for a long time, and now I understand people get on at different times, but to be a part of women's basketball at this point, to see the excitement, the outcomes, just even in conference tournaments, to see what it did last year, I think it's just truly special. And I think it's just a sports fan like as a sports fan, being able to pick the winner in both brackets. Men have had it all along. Women now are getting in and I think we're taking advantage of it. I mean, look at the ratings, get social media, look at the five.
Speaker 11: It's called the athleticism that the women do. So this season, most eyes have been on Caitlin Clark. Where does she stack up in terms of the rankings, because I said, you can't underestimate don Staley.
Speaker 12: Listen, I think South Carolina on Staley and what she has done at South Carolina.
Speaker 2: I know my team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, she likes rubbing it in a lot, but what she's done back to back undefeated seasons in the regular season is just ridiculous. Yeah, she in your final four, she is in my final four.
Speaker 1: I just I'm excited to see it. Really, I don't know about the brackets.
Speaker 2: Do y'all have brackets. Are y'all playing in this March madness? I definitely will.
Speaker 4: I have not completed my bracket yet, but I do have to do a shameless plug here really quick for our good sister Jamel Hill.
Speaker 2: She just wrote a piece.
Speaker 4: On what Caitlin Clark's fans are missing in the Atlantic, and I love it because it really highlights the role that black women have played in basketball and are very regularly not recognized for all of our contributions. And also to that point, we want to say her name. Neil Ivy from Notre Dame is the coach that Tiff referenced earlier. But I just think we oftentimes are not given the full credit that we deserve. I know we talked about paid disparity earlier Tiff, but now with NIL, they're kind of leveling the playing field. You see folks like Angel Rehies making a killing because of NIL, and I do want to quickly. I know we're talking women's basketball, but I just want to acknowledge Juwan Howard, who was just told by the University of Michigan that he would be relieved of his coaching duties, and I think it's such a shame that they would do that the year that he had an open heart surgery. The team definitely had a tough season, but Juwan's contributions along with the significance of what the Fab five has meant to Michigan in terms of resources, time, effort, and the ways in which they've showed up for Juwan overall, this was the first reunion they've had and they didn't even let that thing write out, and so it's a shame, especially at the hands of a black athletic director. I do have other things to say about black women.
Speaker 3: Well, oftentimes under directions of presidents and boards of trustees and you know how that process.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he has some discretion. I didn't even know that Angeles. Yeah, it really really is awful. So I am sending love to Juwan and Jeanine. They have a son who is in the NBA now another son who plays for that team. It's just a really disappointing way to see the season end. But for women, I will say it was such a joy to support two black women coaches in Paris. As Tip talked about, to watch the many ways in which the sport has changed. I'm watching young boys like running after women players to get autographs and it is dope. I was super hyped knowing that Juju Watkins, for example, was leaving high school and going to the University of Southern California, and she's been killing it. Watching the center Camilla Cardozo, who's from Brazil, who made a three pointer at the end of a game won the game for Dawn just a couple of weeks ago. It has been a joy to watch the sports. And I hate to say it, y'all, but the boys are a little boring. The girls got it going on this time. So I can't wait to fill out my bracket. And I'm kind of boycotting boys or men's basketball NCAA style because of what happened with Jawan.
Speaker 2: I'm mad. Yeah, I don't like that. Can I copy your bracket or does everybody?
Speaker 4: I'm definitely going to make you do your lie, Like how do you how ome bracket? You can bet twenty dollars tip not to know it's not too okay.
Speaker 1: So it's really and it's with you and somebody like if I did a bracket, you can have.
Speaker 4: The machetes do a bracket. We can have a Native lamp pot bracket situation. You put your money in. Everybody put in twenty dollars, and you might not be a bet man because he's a bishop most days. Look at this, see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's twenty dollars by me, lunch. It's not illegal, can I?
Speaker 1: I honestly, I thought the brackets were national.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know I thought the brackets were national.
Speaker 1: I thought, like everybody in the country is participating in this bracket, and like there were stages like tiers of Winter, like a lottery.
Speaker 2: Fair enough.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's there is a whole gambling industry for this, but there are also a lot of people who do brackets for fun. It's you know, how fantasy football works is.
Speaker 3: Very similar a lot of jobs.
Speaker 1: Yes, can we do a Native Land viewer bracket with the viewership we put a link up to that so we don't.
Speaker 3: Have somebody else to evaluate all this stuff because giving your expertise, uh, you know.
Speaker 4: We can. We can ask Nick to put a link up to the NCAA bracket where the teams are starting, where they end up. They go to Sweet sixteen, the Elite eight, and then the Final four and then of course the championship.
Speaker 3: The last thing I've just said about the basketball piece or what contribute here is just to say that uls been a joy watching and it truly has. And I hadn't considered the fact until I heard a female basketball player and I can't remember who said it say, you know, we've been hustling at this for a long time, but the way in which the cameras, the videographers, the folks who have who have projected what we do on the court out to the rest of the world hasn't always been equal to what the men get men's games, in which the way that they have covered, the technology, investment that gets made, the shots that get covered there makes it a different kind of experience. And so the level of just even that piece of it, which I hadn't considered before, has also had the inducement of putting the athleticism of these talented women on full display. Yeah, and I hadn't considered that part of it. So, you know, it's important to dis six every piece of why it is that the popularity has been going up the way.
Speaker 9: That it has.
Speaker 3: They've survived off their athleticism for a long time, and now we get that plus the dynamics of the way in which it's covered.
Speaker 2: We love to see it. Keep hooping, ladies, we're watching.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna fill out my first bracket, so I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: Angela. I'll call you later for guidance. Native Landpop Family.
Speaker 1: If y'all have suggestions for me, drop a comment and let me know who I should be paying attention to.
Speaker 2: Please help her.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Native Land Family, it's time to hear from you all on this show. We want to make sure y'all feel welcome home. We so enjoy hearing your questions, so keep those questions coming. We try to fit in as many as possible and a lot of people. I don't know. If you y'all get these two people with DM ME and leave a comment like why I gotta be on me? There's a problem because there are so many people who try to pretend they are other people on social media.
Speaker 2: So we want to know that you are real people. We want to see your beautiful face is right.
Speaker 1: We know we're not engaging with bots, and so that's why we ask you to be on video.
Speaker 4: To talk to your AI, your stunt double, your tupac hologram like anybody turned it in exactly.
Speaker 2: We want to see who you are all eyes. Speaking of exactly.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of I think we have a first question from Marquell Cole.
Speaker 2: What you got, Mark Well? What's going on?
Speaker 13: Native lamppod? My name is Mark Well Cole. I'm currently living on the beautiful island of Grenada, but I'm originally from the Bronx, New York. And if you guys know anything about the Bronx, you know that the Bronx is the last of the Mohicans in regards to gentrification. Now, there's been a lot of talk in regards to reverse great migration. We're blacks resettle back in the South, however, but what is a result to fight the forces of gentrification? And how can we repopulate neighborhoods that were predominantly and historically black, such as your Harlems and Bedsize. I believe the Bronx has been doing a pretty good job in terms of preserving the culture, but how can we continue to keep that defense up and fight against gentrification? Thank you?
Speaker 1: I love that question, and we've all bore witness to that gentrification harms not only us, but the wealth gap is a whole history and now gentrification started with white white folks essentially destroying black neighborhoods and we're seeing it repopulated.
Speaker 3: Andrew, did you want Yeah, I mean, I was just gonna say, I got a lot of black friends who are part of the regentrification as they've come in with their degrees and good jobs and you know, have settled back and some of those communities that the folks who had historically lived there can no longer afford to be there. And I would just say, but we cannot be when we pay the rates that are being asked, and uh uh uh and and truth be told. The market conditions in so many ways in a free market system dictate how these areas are able to charge and and reshape themselves the way that they have. But don't get that to mean that there aren't protections that can be put in place. So I can tell you in the at the municipal level, you have city boards and planning boards whose jobs it is to determine what are going to be the laws and the policies that govern this particular area of development in the city. And so if it's a value of those of those decision makers, you can go in and you can say, hey, I like for you know, I want the neighborhood cleaned up or I want, you know, a new housing that is livable and sustainable, But I believe that we need to put a cap on uh uh pricing in this particular area, within this certain square, you know, block footage in that the city could also determine that the property values won't increase above a certain percentage right here in Florida, and I'm sure other states do it as well. Where if you're a senior or if you've served in the military, your taxing structure is different from everybody else. Those same kinds of provisions can be made available to everyday folks who are living in neighborhoods that they want those neighborhoods to be improved upon, but they don't want to be priced out of the place where they've grown up and their mothers have grown up, and their grandmothers have grown up. Where you've got inner generations living right in the same neighborhood and are now being pushed out by many of these market forces. Yes, the market dictates a lot, but yes, also local decision makers can decide what kind of protections they want to put in place to keep some of these neighborhoods looking like they reflecting the values and the people who have held them up for so long.
Speaker 1: You know, I think this might be a good mini pain, this for a mini pod. No, no go, please, I'll be very quick.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The thing that comes to mind is the emotion that you see play out when gentrification occurs in these communities. It's not just people being displaced, it is memories also being displaced. There was a really big article in the Seattle Times some years back talking about the Central Area and where what you really see are the number of people who lose the houses because property taxes rise and they can no longer afford to pay the property taxes. And that is a devastating way to lose a home that has been in your family for generations. And I do think Andrew to the point there should be some protections put in place in municipalities all around the country. The number of you know, mortgage companies that faced discrimination settlements that should be a part of it too, Like what kind of program is there a public private partnership that it could exist that could be developed to ensure people can stay in their homes and that legacy is not erase from families. It is so important. I don't have the answer. I have more questions than I have answers, but I would love to see solutions in me.
Speaker 3: But you're right about that, Angelau. The memories are stunning, and you often hear our parents and grandparents say, Man, when I was growing up, that's where everybody congregated. That's where we went and got fresh foods and vegetables that were grown right here in the neighborhood on trees and bushes, so on and so forth. And there are protections y'all. In fact, we may follow up with a couple of resources of national folks who are doing this work, so y'all can figure out how to plug in where it is that you live.
Speaker 2: I love that, and that's a good question. Can we be gentrifiers?
Speaker 1: Because if a group of educated black folks had resources moved into an area, commerce doesn't follow us that way. The marketplace doesn't follow us that way. You want, all of a sudden see a banana republic popped up. So I think it's a goot minipid to have a deeper yea.
Speaker 3: I would. I don't know the answer to that, but it would be curious. But because I kind of thought that it followed more gentrification, money and the fact that you are now pricing folks out of areas than not. When publicisides if they want to go into a place and build a store, they do a geo mapping of the area and evaluate incomes and if it meets this threshold, it's like, okay, that's a customer for us. Those would be our future customers. And you know the same thing happens.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna get more into this because I got more questions than answers to maybe all right, to keep us moving, because I want to make sure we get to everybody. Our next question is from Monica.
Speaker 2: What you're talking.
Speaker 14: About, Hey, Native Lampard Monica Williams Harris Here, this relates to your discussion about the Alabama Supreme Court's recent decision regarding IVF. It's someone who did two rounds unsuccessful successful rounds of IVF, and then who subsequently we adopted our beautiful son. I just find it extremely frustrating that these lawmakers and judges continue to legislate and try to control a woman's right to give birth and make decisions about her body, when what they really should be doing is making adoption much more affordable. As Tiffany indicated, there are tens of thousands of children who are in foster care, many of them are black children. And there are several women that I know, several families that I know that would love to adopt, but it's simply it's not affordable. Thanks so much for you all's bringing light to this situation and as always, continued blessings on the podcast.
Speaker 1: I love Monica, fellow wrap up, Monica, thank you, continue blessings to you and congratulations on your beautiful son. I hope we get to see a picture, maybe if she could DM us a picture of her son.
Speaker 2: But I love that question, Angela.
Speaker 4: Did you want to Yeah, I think just as a matter of where we actually are. Of course we know about the Alabamas Supreme Court, but also a few weeks ago the Governor of Alabama did sign a bill into law to protect IVF So I do want to make sure that you know where we where we can't give credit, we give it, but shamelind you for having a judge on the bench that would do all of that fire brimstone, and hell, he was preaching from his opinion.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, I'm also a little hesitant to give KIV anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, signed the bill into.
Speaker 1: Law Republican Governor k Ivy of Alabama.
Speaker 4: She's I don't believe in another than not telling people when they did something. She did the right thing. She signed a bill into law to protect IVF and it was pat I'm surprised, honestly by the legislature. The House passed it a bill ninety four to six, and then the Senate passed the bill unanimously. But sometimes when you see your own interests being challenged, you will rise up to protect your own entrant. It is still the right thing because it impacts lots of other people besides them. It could have been worse. We could have been a handmade tail earlier than in twenty twenty four of Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Was this election, So shout out to the.
Speaker 3: Threat still exists, right the birth control.
Speaker 2: The threat is still exist They're going after birth control now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just want I want to credit the organizers and the people who applied the pressure to make sure that this bill passed and to force k Ivy's hand to do it. There was a lot of videos circulating, one of a female reporter interviewing Senator Tommy Tubberville. I mean, I don't but what he lacks in intellect, he makes up for in talking nonsense.
Speaker 2: And he literally didn't even know what the legislation was.
Speaker 1: And this is something he voted for, right, But it took so many people on the ground, organizing, protesting, and confronting these politicians with this for k Ivy to find that.
Speaker 2: So I just wanted to point that out. Okay, now we have Brianna from Phoenix.
Speaker 15: Hello, my name is Brianna.
Speaker 14: I'm from Phoenix, Arizona.
Speaker 15: I'm currently serving in the Acuity Air Force here in Missouri. I would like to just shed some light on our top government officials. We're being required to have mental health evaluations in order to sit in our top government seats in Washington and even in the local and state politics. As a military member, we are required to go through mental health evaluations from the beginning middle and even if we have any mental health issues during our time of service, we are removed from our jobs and we're not even allowed to in some case deploy our PCs, which is like move duty stations. I feel like if we have to go through these grooming processes when it comes down to mental health evaluations and making sure that we are mentally fit to serve in the United States military, our government officials from local all the way up.
Speaker 2: To DC should be required as well. That's just my take on it, and fair is fair. I love that. Rihanna. First of all, thank you so much for your service. I think.
Speaker 4: Second of all, you know, every single week we say welcome home, but all throughout the week people are weighing in on social media, telling us what they think, how they feel, what we got right, what we got wrong, and everything in between. Stop that cussing, y'all. Keep that cussing going, y'all, like everything in between, and so we are so grateful that you're weighing in. In fact, I think we're gonna pivot a little bit from just having Native Lamppod fam questions into having some comments, and I think Brianna is kicking that off. So we appreciate your statement. All I'll say to that is amen, because you heard me say it before. I definitely think we guive you some more mental health evaluations in this piece. So we definitely thank you for your service and for sharing your opinion.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, Briann, I actually really love that, and I love Angela that you're saying, let's open this up. For comments as well, because we want people to fill welcome home, and this is your platform as well, So I invite everybody along handle exactly, pull up a seat to this table, sit on the couch with us. So send it, but just make sure that when you're sending questions or comments that it is sixty seconds or less. We're not gonna pretend this is church on a Sunday. Everybody trying to get home to see the game, like you gotta just sixty seconds or less. Make sure we can see you, say your name clearly and where you're from. And keep those comments and questions coming. We love being in community with you, We love being in conversation with you, so keep those comments and questions coming. We're gonna take a really quick break, but don't go anywhere because we're coming right back.
Speaker 2: With call to action.
Speaker 1: Okay, calls to action. Who wants to go first? Don't everybody jump at once? Who wnths to go first? Well, in transparency, not call it action yet.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only one I have is me asking people to help me with my bracket.
Speaker 2: And that doesn't seem like an important enough.
Speaker 3: But that's it. That's it.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't seem like an important enough call to action.
Speaker 1: So I'm sorry, guys, but that is what I would like help with my bracket in general understanding of how these brackets go.
Speaker 3: Extraordinary expert. I'll go quickly. It's I. You know, we talked a bit. We did a little Facebook live on the whole funny funny Willis situation, and I know it's old news. Last week we learned she will be able to stay on the case, her prosecutors will continue to do the work they've got to do. And she told the judge listen, if you want to start a trial in thirty days, we will be ready. So she reassured us with the confidence. I will tell you though I was. I was a bit concerned, and I'll just stated here. The judge in this case McAfee, in his written decision and says the following. This finding is by no means an indication that the Court condones this tremendous lapse in judgment or the unprofessional manner of the District Attorney's testimony during the evidentiary hearing. Rather, it is the undersigned opinion that Georgia law does not permit the finding of an actual conflict for simply making bad choices, even repeatedly, and it is the trial court's duty to confine itself to the relevant issues in applicable law applicable law before it. Other forms of sources of authority, such as the General Assembly, the Georgia State Ethics Commission, the State Bar of Georgia, the Fulton County Board of Commissioners, or the voters of Fulton County may offer feedback on any of the unanswered questions that linger. I read that and total just so that I personally felt like the judge in his paraga, went a little further than was necessary to I don't know, sanction express his opinions about the DA One. I will say, Fannie Willis getting on this stand and testifying the way that she did was critical to I think rallying folks to understand her thinking around the whole cash situation. Secondly, the judge laid out a number of legislative and governmental bodies and entities who can be approached to deal with any of the information that he feels was faulty or lacking in her testimony. And I would just say, if you were in the State of Georgia and you are an attorney. Moreover, in the State of Georgia that it will be really really important, I think, and vital if you believe that Fannie Willis deserves your protection, that she's serving her responsibility, that you all begin to rally around her with regards to the State Ethics Commission and some of the inquiries that are going to be coming from the Republican controlled legislature there so that she's flanked on all sides while she tries to do the work that is necessary to prosecute justice to the full end. I've seen these kinds of distractions before. This is by no means the end of the attack on her, and I'm just hoping that you all, as viewers and listeners, if you feel compelled, will figure out a way that you can come to the protective flank as these believe. I believe inquiries are going to continue as a side show to keep her from being able to do what she was elected to do. I know that was long. I apologize to my co host, but it's been in my spirit since reading this opinion that this was a real opening and guidance for added attacks against the DA.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Andrew.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, we're going to stick with protecting the prosecutors Marilyn Moseby. There is a rally that we told you all we would talk about soon. It is going to be held this Saturday, March twenty third, at noon at the Druid Hill YMCA in Baltimore. No Justice, No Peace, Fighting for Moseby Rally at noon on Saturday. There will soon be a petition made available as well as a letter that you can sign on to the Biden administration asking them to have mercy and pardon someone who did not engage in any criminal wrongdoing whatsoever, but has been the subject of a very expensive witch hunt for falsifying mortgage documents that she herself did not fill out. So we are going to continue to lift her up in prayer. We are going to continue to advocate for her as we would want someone to do for us, as we know Andrew would have wanted if he were not acquitted for his wrongful prosecution. And hopefully soon there will be a selective prosecution case coming to the Department of Justice for what has happened in Marylyn Moseby's case. So that said, we hope we can stand with you all here and then also stand alongside tiff as she works to fill out her March Badness in Cuba women's basketball Brat.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that, Angela and Andrew for your very serious am I friend, no girl, but you on AOL.
Speaker 2: Tiffany's on dial up Internet.
Speaker 4: She might not be able to close this show out today, but know that she is with you all in spirit. She's been silenced for no good reason. Internet justice and access.
Speaker 3: It's still an it's country.
Speaker 4: Yes, Andrews created a new hashtag Internet for everybody. Maybe y'all can carry in on the joke by just doing hashtag Internet for tiff In the meantime, everyone should send her comments on Instagram and on Twitter, saying Tiffany, it is time to let go of AOL dial up, long past time. But the show this brings us to our clothes. We thank you all so much for your constant support. We look forward to it, look forward to engaging with you. There are two hundred and twenty eight days until election Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome Home, Welcome Home.
Speaker 4: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,