Speaker 1: I don't know if you can say or not whether you know or not. Like there's is do you expect to have Jayleen more for this game?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Jayalen was able to practice today and I think he was. I think he was a full participant in practice.
Speaker 4: So you've talked a little bit about and Barks and warning him or or liking him as a center profit beact. Is he has he done even work there? And is he a possibility at center on Sunday?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He works.
Speaker 3: He works at every day he's been here. He's been working on the scout team. He also worked at some with our group today.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Feliciano was didn't work doing some other things and so he was able to get some center work. He's been doing it all along. We've been trying to rotate in a guard and center. Not natural for him yet, but he's working really hard at it. And so it's a it's a very very good possibility on Sunday that you'll see him some at center. You had brun Skill obviously you could do a little bit of everything, and you had replace him this off season.
Speaker 2: Fliciano was kind of that guy. How how important has he been.
Speaker 1: To have just a tendable guy who can be kind of your sixth man, but then.
Speaker 2: Start Yeah, no, it's it's it's huge.
Speaker 3: I mean, you get these guys, these veterans that they understand the game, they understand the positions. They've had a career of starting at left guard, right guard, center, so they're not you know, it doesn't trip them out when all of a sudden, one week you're at right guard, one week at your left guard, next week you're at center.
Speaker 2: You're going in the game at center.
Speaker 3: They've done all that stuff before, so it's invaluable and and and you at the same time, they can start and player they you know, it's it's cool, it's really good. And it seems like every team you're on you have that guy. You need to really find that guy because they really are invaluable. It does sometimes you you'd love it to all be young guys. You'd love that position, the six, seven, eight linemen to all be young and developing players, because you know, there's for a lot of different reasons, and you hope they develop into starters as opposed to having three or four old heads in there that are just you know, you know what they are and they're solid, but like we talked about the other day. We were talking about the splash plays for a gardener, splash plays for running back right, and sometimes just the good old, dependable you know, the comfortable shoe works for you. And that's what for lack of better termaments with Feliciano is like, what did you like about.
Speaker 1: Him when you were looking him in the offseason and has he made seeded your expectations?
Speaker 3: E Here's the thing I think when you study, when we study film, there's not a lot of teams that do what we.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if you guys know.
Speaker 3: I mean we look a little different us to dolphins, and we kind of have a style of Kyle and Mike and the guys do it, so it looks a little bit different and we kind of do a little bit more outside zone and run a little bit more. So when you study other teams, you just don't see them do that as much. So you have to look hard, whether you're evaluating college film, free agent film, you have to look a little bit harder to say, where do I see glimpses of what we do? And then you say, how many times do you think you can do this? For a sustained amount of time in a game, and really you didn't see it at all until we to. What I saw is I saw him pull on some plays at center or get out in space and some of the toss crack plays, and I said, you know what, it's in there. And John's not a guy coming out of college or through his pro career. He said, he'd be a great scheme fit for our offense. But it's in there, and if you drill it every single day and it's there, you can pull it out of them and and he can do it consistently. So we saw that that little that little glimpse, and when he got here, even Kyle would say earlier, you're like, oh, this feliciattle guy, you know, But then when you give an opportunity to play and he practiced it, he got kind of used to it.
Speaker 2: It's there, and it's kind of cool to see.
Speaker 5: There's there's a motion you do mostly with Christian that looks kind of funky, and he ends up in some buggy sposors sorts of shuffles to the side and you can end up in some weird areas. What is the benefit of that motion in particular and sort of how did that come come to be?
Speaker 3: Well, some of it is, you know, you your motion for coverage tells others. You just get him in a position where he can best release to do what we need to do for a pattern. So, I mean, I think it's all play driven and depend upon what we need from the back. And it gives a little different look to the defense at times, or undresses the defense or tells us something. So there's a lot of different reasons to do it.
Speaker 6: Play the balance that the guys maybe sitting out I know you've mentioned before, like when Trent Williams, he didn't play his best when he came back. So how do you find the balance in that when you've got guys that they sit out this week and then by week next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thing is is that you really wanted these practices become important.
Speaker 2: You need to practice.
Speaker 3: Everybody needs to practice, and everybody needs to practice hard because you can't just take weeks off.
Speaker 2: Nobody can.
Speaker 3: It's it's any sport, you know, you just don't take weeks off and jump back and play at the level we've been playing, you know, pretty solid football through the season. You want guys to stay at that level. Yeah, at some point you realize a guy doesn't need to play a game to risk injury because of where the game is. It could be the end of a game that you're getting killed in, or it could be a game you're way ahead in, or it could be a game that doesn't have as much consequence in the big picture. At the same time, you still want a guy to get ready. Same thing in the preseason games, you're like, okay, should they never play a preseason game? How many snaps are? There's a thirty snaps?
Speaker 6: Is it for?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: What is that number?
Speaker 3: So it's that balancing act between what's the health of the player, Now, where's he in his development? Where does he need to do to keep his edge and keep himself ready to go?
Speaker 2: Because if you look at it, you.
Speaker 3: Say, okay, if a guy practiced once a week, you know Trent usually practice. Let's use him for example, usually practice on Thursdays and Fridays. Fridays is more of a down temple practice for us. Thursday's at full speed practice. Wednesdays he doesn't practice. He's with strength and conditioning. So if you say you take that and say three weeks, you know, this week, next week, the following week. I mean, that's three practices and no games. Is that enough time in twenty Is that enough work in twenty one days to be able to play at the highest level. It could be for Trent, or you might need to have a few more reps than that to be sure you're ready to play. Same thing with Preseeds. It's a balancing act and how many those reps are to a point where like Trent would say to me, we're scrimmaging against the Raiders and he's getting bull rushed a little bit, and I'm like, hey, dude, you need to sit out an anchor. He goes, go, I only got so many anchors left in this body, he said, So I'm going to waste them all in training camp against the Raiders. I'm will save him for the season. And I said, understood, big fellow, you know. And so he does the best he can.
Speaker 2: But it's right.
Speaker 3: It's one of the reasons he's been able to play as long as he has. Is not every rep is a you know, full it's he understands the big picture, and so it's us talking to him. And this is that's my relationship with him. Conlen's relationship with him.
Speaker 2: We're able to.
Speaker 3: Say, hey, you know, Trent, we think you need this, and I think as he's gotten older, he's appreciated that he does. You know, everybody needs to stay sharp, everybody, you know, I think I always go back to other sports. Kobe Bryant or Magic John, all of them. They still shoot free throws. They don't stop shooting free throws because they're great players. Still shooting free throws, right They still have to practice.
Speaker 1: Colten mckimmit's into the starting lineup right away, and he obviously held the position he's played through all these games. In the first three sack game with DJ Want, everybody was little nervous about it, and outside the building, you guys didn't seem to be so much. What have you seen from Is he about what you've expected?
Speaker 2: Colt's really doing a good job this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously there's always room for improvement, and he's getting better every week.
Speaker 2: He works really, really hard.
Speaker 3: He's got a great attitude about getting better, and he's got a great, you know, colts great response is I'll ask him, hey, Colt, what happened on that play? And Colt with me said yeah, I didn't do what you've told me to do a thousand times, it's okay, what.
Speaker 2: Are we gonna do about it? You know?
Speaker 3: So the point is he understands what he needs to do and how he needs to do it to fix And that's not like, oh, coach knows everything, but it's like he's like, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: I didn't do what I'm supposed to do, and I gotta do it.
Speaker 3: And so he's got that workman like attitude that every single day I'm gonna get out here, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Work, I'm gonna do things well.
Speaker 3: And and when that was I was worried after the first game because I think I explained you guys, we did have a set of we did have a chip system sell to help them, but sometimes the chip system based on coverages is not You need to get those guys out and sometimes chippines isn't the best thing, So you have to take your chances. And we did more of that than we would have than I would have thought we were gonna do, but we.
Speaker 2: Had to do it.
Speaker 3: So Cole had to hold up on some one on ones and he lost them and gave up the three sacks the first game, and I had to be sure that he understood that if we put anybody out there and give him that many one on ones against that player, he's gonna get beat and someone we could have got the ball out others the guy beat him and got a sack, and so I had to make sure he's okay coming out of that.
Speaker 2: He was. He's the right.
Speaker 3: But some guys it's hard, you know, you the bright lights come on and you're like, you know, you just you don't want to be the guy that everybody sees, Oh crap, that was the sack that cost us the drive, the game, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: And Colton's got that tough mindset to get himself through it. Brendall was a streak free agent.
Speaker 3: He's now been a Pro Bowl alternate back to back years.
Speaker 4: Did you envision that for him and talk to us a little bit about what his strengths are as a player.
Speaker 3: Well, Jake Brenda when the first time when he and Jesse Davis and they came to us in Miami when I was there in practice squad and we h the head coach at the time, cut three starters, three draft picks for the Miami Dolphins. After like the fifth or sixth week of the season. He just cut him he was tired and done with him. Want to make a change. So Adam Gay's cut three guys and we poached three practice squad players, one of them being Jesse Davis, the other being Jake Brendle on some other I don't remember.
Speaker 2: The other player.
Speaker 3: And the day he got out there with Jake, You're like, Wow, this guy's got some quickness, this guy's got some strength, he's got some toughness. He's got He's intelligent and intelligent and and I just liked the way he played, and he saw everything that you would want. Now, we didn't do everything in that and in Miami, and subsequently they didn't that we do here. And I knew that in this system. He was kind of a prototypical center for the system. The quickness to speed, the strength and and things like that, and intelligence, the importance to how he can run a line, leadership qualities and things like that. You know, who's to say, I didn't, you know who envisions Pro Bowl not Pro Bowl? I really think, you know, I love the guys, they play really, really, really really well. I just think the system, Kyle, how we do things, how we build what plays build upon each other, allows guys to maximize their abilities, right, they get to show everything that they are. They can be highlighted in this offense if they're willing to use the places, because the plays work together and so you can help yourself if you understand the offense. And that's kind of what these guys have done. Not to diminish that they're not Pro Bowl players, but they're you know that it's it all fits together for them here and that's why these guys have all been able to flourish and have some success in the system because they are the right guys for what we do, not just temperament, not just intelligence, but but physically the quickness and things that we need.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys,