Speaker 1: Good morning. It's Monday, the twentieth of November here in London. This is the Bloomberg Daybreak you at podcast. I'm Caroline Hepke and.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carroll. Coming up today. Open aiy's board rejects the wishes of major shareholders and hires a new CEO to replace Sam Altman.
Speaker 1: Expectations grow for the autumn statement and tax cuts from the UK Chancellor.
Speaker 2: And Elon Musk doubles down. The owner of x uses his social media platform to defend himself from allegations of anti Semitism.
Speaker 1: Let's start with a round up of our top stories.
Speaker 2: Chaoso threatening to engulf the firm behind some of the most exciting developments in artificial intelligence. Open AI's founder Sam Altman was ousted as the CEO on Friday after a power struggle with the board over the direction of the chat GPT owner Bloomberg understands this morning the board has hired Emma Cheer, formerly of Twitch, to replace him. Bloomberg's AI and tech reporter Rachel Metz has more.
Speaker 3: Open ai leadership has put out memos internally at the company saying that the board hasn't said that there was any quote, malfeasance or anything like that, so it's not totally clear what the board was initially even accusing him of doing when it got rid of him.
Speaker 2: Rachel Matt says the decision is a stinging rebuke to major investors such as Microsoft and Thrive Capital, who wanted Altman back and the board to step down now Here.
Speaker 1: In the UK, Jeremy Hunt is expected to reveal plans to cut Britain's tax burden. This week's autumn statement a pivotal moment for the struggling Tories. The Chancellor's tax and spent plans will be announced on Wednesday, and speculation is growing that he may promise a future income tax cut. Speaking on Sunday, Hunt said that any reduction must be done in a responsible way.
Speaker 4: We believe lower taxes are essential for a high growth economy. We do want to bring down the tax band, but we will only do so responsibly. The one thing we won't do is any kind of tax cut that fuels inflation. We've done all this hard work. We're not going to throw that away.
Speaker 1: Jeremy Hunt has also been considering a potential cut to inheritance tax, though the move has already drawn criticism from some Tory MPs and has been a source of division in the Prime Minister's top team.
Speaker 2: The White House says a deal to free some of the two hundred and thirty nine hostages held in Gaza is closer than ever it's understood. The agreement would involve the release of dozens of captives and an extended pause and the fighting. America's Deputy National Security Advisor, John Feiner says outstanding areas of disagreement between Israel and Hamas have been narrowed.
Speaker 5: I believe we are closer than we have been in quite some time, maybe closer than we have been since the beginning of this process to getting this deal done. And we are following this minute by minute, hour by hour, and have been for a number of weeks up to and including the President, for whom this is a major priority.
Speaker 2: Speaking to NBC's Meet the Press program, Finer went on to say that a pause would also allow more humanitarian aid to reach Gaza. The hamasr On Health Ministry there says the death toll has now surpassed thirteen thousand. The negotiations come as Israel released footage of what it says as a fortified tunnel under the Shifa Hospital complex. Pressure has been mounting in recent days to justify the raid on the medical center and claims of a hamass base beneath it.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk says that reports labeling him as anti Semitic couldn't be quote further from the truth. The tech billionaire is facing an advertiser backlash after endorsing antisemitic content in a post on his social media platform. Near Impact Capital founder Kristin Hull is an activist investor in Tesla. She says the card Gant's board should step in now.
Speaker 6: Elon Musk has been erradick. He's been att all with this speech. We never actually know what he's trying to do. And while he is saying he's promoting free speech, hateful speech and hates speech has no place on X and it certainly doesn't have any place coming from a major CEO in our nation.
Speaker 1: Christin Hull holds a small amount of shares in Mosque's solely publicly traded venture, but large advertisers like Walt Disney and Apple are among those distancing themselves from X.
Speaker 2: Libertarian outsider Havimla will become Argentina's new president he's promising a radical shakeup to fix decades of policy mismanagement. Speaking to crowds in Buenos Aires, the president elects stress the need for immediate action.
Speaker 7: The situation in Argentina is critical. The changes that this country needs are drastic. There's no room for gradual measure and there's no way to say it long lived. Freedom heavy.
Speaker 2: MLA also highlighted the Argentina's critical economic condition in an address to supporters. Investors are welcoming the news. Overseas bonds look poised to rise as traders anticipated change in fortunes for the country after experiencing five recessions in the last decade. It's expected that the Argentinean paeser will weaken, reflecting Malay's plan to replace the currency with the dollar.
Speaker 1: And finally, London's he For airport is facing flight delays due to staff absences and bad weather, including high winds. NAT's the UK's Aerospace Airspace Manager rather said in a statement that temporary restrictions were in place at Heathrow, adding that it's working with the airport to reduce disruption. The British Airways website shows dozens of flights held up by up to two hours as the airline adjust some of its short haul schedule. The news comes off to Gatwick said late in September that it had capped the number of daily flights until the first of October due to unforeseen staff shortages.
Speaker 2: Those are your top stories on the markets. The MSCIASA Pacific Index is trading half a percent higher this morning. Eurostos fifty features are flat at the moment. The ten year Treasury yields two basis points higher at four point four to five percent.
Speaker 1: Now in a moment, we're going to be talking about what we expect to see from the Chancellor in this week's autumn statement from Jeremy Hunt. We'll also bring you the latest details on the extraordinary story of open Ai, the company that helped develop chat GPT is engulfed in a power struggle right now, including up until this morning, so we'll have more on that in just a moment. But also this Stephen, tis the season to know the size of the bonus that you might get. In the financial industry, Paul ja Davies has a long read on this this morning, and he delves into all the various types of financial firms. His answer is essentially not that big global M and A activity has slumped this year. Deals of tumble, so bonuses they're expected to down something like twenty percent according to Johnson Associates. And then he looks at all the different types of trading also not that great for bonus season this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true when you dig into the details of where the activity is gone in banks this year is perhaps not surprising to many people. And I'm sure where people might have been very helpful that perhaps their bonuses might be larger than they expect. The data seems to have turned against them anyway, But all crunched in Paul Davies's piece this morning, so well worth at a reed.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's send our attention then and get the details on the leadership changes at open Ai, the company that helped to develop chat GPT. The board which ousted the CEO and president on Friday of last week, are said to have hired Emmitt Scheer as their new chief. That comes after Bloomberg reported that the interim CEO, Mira Marati, was planning to rehire former chief Sam Altman and former president Greg Brockman. Bloomberg TV ANDKA Tom McKenzie has been across this story and joins us, now, wow, this is moving quickly. What have we actually heard about what the board is doing just this morning about who they're picking as see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the story is developing at a very rapid clip and our team on the ground in California, San Francisco reporting this out for us. So, the latest line coming through in the last thirty minutes or so is that Emmett Sheer is going to be taking over as the CEO of Open AI. We know that the board had reached out to a number of potential executives to take over as the CEO over the weekend. Now we have it confirmed from our reporting that it's going to be Emmett Sheeer, formerly the CEO of the video streaming company Twitch up until about March of this year, and prior to that, a co founder of a video platform called just in TV, so his background very much within the video world. He's also though a part time partner at y Combinator, the eventual capital firm, which interestingly Sam Oltman was the CEO of prior to open AI. That's what we know about Emmett Sheer, the new appointment.
Speaker 2: And this though as there are two camps as the board on one side, pointing amates Sheer, but then there we was executives and investors pushing to try and bring Sam Oltman back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the tension has been very clear indeed between the board, which let's not forget, was set up when open Ai was squarely focused on being a nonprofit. So there's a legacy there in terms of the board's constitution around a project that has evolved so quickly. But the tensions have come to the fore clearly. We know that not only many researchers and key members of the team at OpenAI, but as you say, also key investors and Microsoft. Don't forget the biggest investor sat In Thedella, who was taken by surprise by this announcement that Sam Oltman was being forced out on Friday. It was a shock to hear him in the team at Microsoft. We know they are lobbyings for Sam Altman to come back, and up until this line crossed about thirty minutes ago, the latest news was that they were in the middle of this negotiation Sam Moltman and the board to get Sam back as the CEO at least in some kind of leadership. In fact, he was in the offices of open Ai over the weekend. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And fundamentally though, as this story has sort of exploded on Friday and over the weekend, what do we think is behind the disagreement? Why do we think that you know that sam Oltman was was ousted from the business. I mean, that's the big question mark about it.
Speaker 8: It seems to be a combination of factors. So I'll take you back to what I was touching on there, which was the open Ai was originally set up as a nonprofit to work on AI that would be and have safety at its core. It had a commercial operation, as Samon Oltman has said in the past, kind of cobbled on rather than all being commercial with a research lab on one side, it was all about the research lab. It's all about being a nonprofit. That has evolved and sam Oltman has driven the commercialization of their products, notably of course, the launch of chatchebt in November of last year, and he's continued to drive the evelotion of those projects and get them out to customers. He claims that about ninety percent of the Fortune five hundred companies have access now in the customers. That has caused tensions within the original buildout of open AI, including the chief scientists by the way, Iliasuskava, who they poached from Google, who's been very concerned about risks. But also again the legacy board bored on for this nonprofit with the aim of being risk focused. The concern amongst many board members as they've gone too quickly, too fast, and they aren't putting the checks and balances in place. The other component as well that we've been reporting on is that Sam Altman has been doing trips overseas trying to raise capital for additional and new businesses around for example AI chips and also AI hardware, so that has also been attention apparently between him and the board.
Speaker 2: Okay, Tom McKenzie, Tvanco, thank you very much for joining us with the latest en that story this morning, or continue of course to follow all the developments around open AIS. Who were saying to Time they are quite a fast moving story. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Meanwhile, Hoy in the UK, it's a very big week for the government. The autumn Statement on Wednesday. The chances of Jeremy Hunt expect to reveal plans to cut Britain's tax burden without adding to inflation. That would be the aim our UK correspondent Lizzie Burden is back and joins us in studio. Good morning. Set the scene for us, then what do you think is going to happen on Wednesday? The messaging over the weekend, there was plenty of it. It was a very difficult week last week for the Tories.
Speaker 9: Yeah, nightmare week for the Prime minister. You have the party divided again over small boats and the Home Secretary Sweller Bratherman's departure. And of course this autumn statement really is crucial because it's one of the few remaining set pieces the opportunities to narrow the gap with labor. They've got a twenty point lead and the election's got to be called by January twenty twenty five. So, as you say, we had the Chancellor, Jeremy Hunt on the airwaves yesterday laying the groundwork for Wednesday. He wants to take credit for stabilizing the economy. You know, the government's already met its self set target of halving inflation by the end of the year, even if it's not back to the Bank of England's two percent target, even though the work was really done by thread Needle Street. But moving on, he's got not a lot of room to maneuver fiscally, and he's going to want to avoid criticism that the Sunak administration is simply managing Britain's decline so as was ever. Thus you've got back bench conservatives clamoring for tax cuts, but Jeremy Hunt has already said that's not going to happen overnight, but he hasn't ruled anything out. The trouble is the government really needs to shift gears at this point. Party conference, Caroline, you and I were there didn't really move the dial, nor did the King's speech and so Hunt's got to get a lot of political bang out of not a lot of fiscal book here.
Speaker 2: Okay, well let's talk specifics then, Lizzie. What sort of things should we be expecting the Chancellor to Annette?
Speaker 9: I mean, if you listen to the Chancellor yesterday, you'd think that every tax under the sun was going to be cut, and if you read the papers as well. But that's the usual sort of speculation before a fiscal event. We know that the Prime Minister and the Chancellor have been considering slashing inheritance tax, but optically that would be so difficult in a cost of living crisis. Given that the Chancellor's also expected to ad just welfare to try to reduce economic inactivity and save a bit of money. So there's speculation that he might pull a bigger lever like income tax or national insurance. But then the Chancellor seemed to cool on that yesterday and it would be expensive. He's warned it could stoke inflation. So the compromise would be to pledge to cut income tax somewhere down the line that straight out of the Rishie Sunac playbook. Or they could cut stamp duty, the property transaction tax that's scene as being a less inflationary move. I'm going to be listening for clues from the Prime Minister this morning. He's making a speech in North London and the Chancellor is giving a fireside chat to the CBI's countdown to the election event. Later today, I'm hosting a panel. He's going to be talking to the Director General Ray Newton Smith, and he's he's going to be joining us right here on Bloomberg Radio for an interview before that conference gets going today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, it's going to be a great morning in terms of the next steps though on the Rwanda deportation policies, does go back to what happened last week, the court decision that went against the government. What happens with this migration policy.
Speaker 9: Now, yeah, it really was Rishi Sunac's worst week as Prime minister. Increasingly he's on thin ice with his backbench, so he's expected to deploy Whitehall officials to Rwanda to try and assist with the casework. This is according to the Telegraph. He's expected to publish a new Rwanda treaty early this week. And this is of course that you say after the Supreme Court ruled that deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda was unlawful because it risked people being sent back to their home countries. The other major event on the docket in the UK today is the government's Food Security Summit that's hosted with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It's the idea to address hunger and nutrition globally, so you're going to have retur representatives from governments, from international aid groups, the science community and the private sector all expected to attend. Again the Prime Minister trying to move the spotlight away from the boat's policy, which really has been a thorn in its side.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, your morning brief on the stories making news from London to Wall Street and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed every morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning on London Dab Radio, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station, is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty. I'm Caroline Hepka and.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carroll. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg day Break Europe