Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia, Judice.
Speaker 2: Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Kessler.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is Gia, Jen and Daisy and we are back discussing the reality of sorority life and what is shown on TV and movie is. So let's dive back in because there's lots more to talk about.
Speaker 3: In House Bunny.
Speaker 4: To kind of circle back to appearance, Anna Faris does a nude scene in this and she completely surprised her cast. So those were, like, they're genuine raw reactions. But I feel like in the movies they portray that sorority girls are naked and just like playing naked all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's kind of true.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, and I know this has not this movie isn't exactly sorority.
Speaker 3: It was them in high school.
Speaker 1: But me, girls like the Halloween costumes and the slutty costumes and yeah, I'm just literally wearing no clothes.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you guys have to see to scene an animal house. Well you don't have to, it's probably not great, but the girls are literally like they're all like topless, and for whatever reason, I don't I doubt very seriously, you were ever with your sorority sisters in one of your bedrooms topless having a pillow fight.
Speaker 3: No, it's probably right.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking that's probably more of a movie thing that.
Speaker 3: Was probably not at the top of my Bengo card honestly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I feel like that might have been to kind of get the male viewers for maybe some movie or TV shows.
Speaker 2: Right right, I feel like they did it. Also, I mean, did you guys ever see Revenge of the Nerds. No, I can't with this. I can't one of these things. I mean you have seen.
Speaker 6: It, I haven't, but talk about it.
Speaker 2: Oh God, one of these things is not like the other, and it is me so well. Revenge of the Nerds is such a funny movie, you guys, and it's just about a frat house with the nerdiest of the nerdy, but you like root for them because they're such sweet guys and they're like terrorized by the other frats on campus. Like I don't know if that happened with you guys, if like certain houses would be you know, sort of like gang up on the nerdier house, I don't know, but this was like that.
Speaker 3: So is it kind of like House Bunny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean from what I know about House Bunny, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: So the nerds you root for, you.
Speaker 6: Totally root for the nerds.
Speaker 2: It's called revenge of the Nerds, and then they get their revenge on the asshole like frat bro. You know, houses is a frat bro. I always use that expression. Is that like somebody who's already graduated, no, but still like lives to be in a frat or is that is that expression you guys use.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's like someone that's like graduated. I feel like it's very stick like you're just like a frap.
Speaker 2: You're still like a frat bro. Yeah, like a finance brow or something. But anyway, yeah, but it was like grows better.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if you guys had that though, where there were like frats or even stories that were real rivals, like did you guys have in your storties, like a specific house that you.
Speaker 7: Just yeah, I would say that cars it was like, well, it wasn't like rivals, but it was like Alpha Fi, Aio and Pi Fi were like always like trying to get the pre parties with the frats, like we were always like like trying to have.
Speaker 5: Like the better events kind of.
Speaker 3: It was almost like a yeah.
Speaker 6: Like competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, interesting, Yeah, but if the good news is in Revenge of the Nerds, the Nerds win.
Speaker 6: When the Nerds win.
Speaker 4: Yes, Also in Revenge of the Nerds, didn't they release a pig.
Speaker 2: Yep somewhere I don't remember, Wait, Emma, when I'm trying to remember that scene, they.
Speaker 8: Were trying to impress the Lambda people to get like accepted as a fraternity, and they did a party with the oh my moves sent in a bunch of pigs and said you could use some more pigs for your because the sorority were like bigger girls. They weren't like, you know, the hot cue girls right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So funny in these movies, like the names they use for the frats and this and the like Delta in Animal House, like it just there, I guess, I don't know, there's so and like Alpha Mew like nobody wants to be in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is kind of funny how they take all the random Greek letters and compile names, not trying to be like the actual established sororities and fraternities. Yeah, my sister at home is currently in Mama Papa Sister.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Mom, Dad's sister.
Speaker 6: That's her story, you know, because she's.
Speaker 2: So love that she called it d That's so cute, Ma sister.
Speaker 5: My dad calls it that.
Speaker 2: That was adorable, like what was recent? Del to me and you said it like new you did it? Yes, it was so like obnoxious? Yeah, okay in terms of like funny names for movies, and I know that our producer Heather has one that she wants to tell us about. Hi Heather, Hi, guys.
Speaker 9: So first and foremost, I'm not from the Greek life, so I actually have so many questions about this on terms of if this is real? Is this just for the TV show? So I was obsessed with the TV show Greek Gia. Have you ever heard of it or seen it?
Speaker 5: I know Jen hasn't, but have you know? Okay, no, this is critical.
Speaker 9: So it came out when I was in college, and, like I said, never been in the Greek life, but I was obsessed with this show and I thought it.
Speaker 5: Was so cute.
Speaker 9: So it takes place at this college called Cypress Rhads, and it's all from the story point of freshman nerdy Rusty who is now joining college and his older sister, Casey, is already established at this school. She is part of the Zeta Beta Zetas and she's on her way to being the president of her sorority. Like that is like her end all be all goal. And so when Rusty joins the college, he's like, I'm gonna pledge a fraternity and she literally tells him in the first one in the first episode, she says, uh, no, frat guys are hot and have upper bodies.
Speaker 2: That's a nice pore, Rusty.
Speaker 5: Horrible, right.
Speaker 9: So basically the main the three main Greek houses that are featured on this show is the Zeta Beta Zetas. They are the top sorority, and then there is the Omega Kies, which is the top frat, and so Casey's boyfriend is the president of the Omega.
Speaker 6: Kies of course, and.
Speaker 9: On the opposite end is like their version of animal House, which is the Capitous and that house, the president is named Cappy, that's his nickname, and they're the Wild Bunch. But that's Casey's ex boyfriend. So her current boyfriend's the president of the top frat and her ex boyfriend is the president of the party frat. So love triangle ensues, right, and so in the first episode, Rusty is like, you know, he meets the Omega Keyes and.
Speaker 5: What I thought was really funny. Okay, you tell me this.
Speaker 9: When they're going to rush, all the guys are wearing collared shirts and neckties like when they're going just to meet the houses.
Speaker 3: Maybe, I mean, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, for me, it was so long ago, but I.
Speaker 1: Remember that like if they had to, I think they only had to dress up in suits. Maybe when they were like initiate. No, yeah, maybe they were initiated or when they got into the frat, but I don't think for actual like frat like like for recruitment for the fraternities, that they had to like dress like fancy.
Speaker 5: Okay, So there's that.
Speaker 9: And then they're also showing the Zeta Beta zetas as they're doing their rush thing, and all the girls that come to rush are wearing pearls cardigans, like like they're going to tea with their grandma.
Speaker 2: You guys, that's the South, That's how it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like in their.
Speaker 5: South, like that's how they do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think so. I mean, for us, we didn't look like, we didn't look bad, like. We definitely had to put ourselves together, like wear dresses.
Speaker 3: And stuff like that.
Speaker 1: We weren't wearing pearls in Jersey, but I mean we definitely had to look nice and like wear dresses and stuff.
Speaker 2: You guys, you should see my composite picture. I have to show it to you. So literally every girl had a strand of pearls and basically it's white lace.
Speaker 6: That just kind of and every single girl.
Speaker 2: And then because it was me, so I had all that going on, my face was this big and my hair was even bigger. Right, it was like I was very heavy with very big, frizzy, curly hair. But I was in the South, so I had the string of pearls and the white lace. It was so proper.
Speaker 9: So check for the accuracy on that. That seems like it's sitty accurate.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 9: So one of the other things is they open up the episode with the Zeta Bata Zetas doing a skit, yes for the other sisters, like showing them how to not act with a rushie like when you're getting to know them, Like they do a whole skit.
Speaker 5: So would you guys do skits.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I mean it's like training for sure. Yeah. It wasn't like for the other sororities.
Speaker 9: But it was just for the sisters in the house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we oh yeah, we went through a whole training.
Speaker 9: Okay, and then literally the skit is over and the president goes, hey, girls, she goes, uh, meet you at the bar in an hour.
Speaker 5: Anyone with an ID real or fake.
Speaker 3: Oh that definitely did not fly in my sorority.
Speaker 5: Hell no, your president saying real or fake?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: If if we went to there's this bar at Ruckers called Queen's and it was known like you could only go to that bar when you were twenty one. But also a lot of the sorority girls from my sorority, Gamma from g FI, they would work there. So and when it came to like the underage sorority sisters trying to get into the bars, they were like monitoring like clockwork like, and all the sororities would kind of team up and look out for the other sororities. If one of their members tried to come in underage, that was a big no no, Like that is the opposite go to Queen's if you were under twenty one.
Speaker 2: So back in the day, the older sorority sisters were giving their licenses to the younger sorority sisters to use. It was like who has dark hair? Who is you know? It was like and no, there was none of that, And I mean it just didn't underage drinking, like is there an age for drinking? We just it wasn't really a consideration back in the day.
Speaker 9: That's a half accurate then in jenniferon Jen's terms.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay.
Speaker 9: So then at one point in the episode, Rusty he's like really confused on how to navigate this Greek life thing, so he shows up to the ZB house to like try to get his sister's attention and her advice, and he just walks into the house and like walks upstairs, and all of a sudden, these girls are like boy in the house and they start screaming and then all the girls like on that floor run out. But he looks downstairs and a security guard circles the stairs and starts running up after him. Did you guys ever have a security guard working at your house? Hells no, okay, didn't think so, So inaccurate for that one. Inaccurate Okay, So then when they're when going back to the guys are on getting to know all the houses, one of the guys in the process ses, he's a legacy at this house, so he feels like he doesn't have a whole lot of pressure to like impress this house when he gets there.
Speaker 5: Is that really the case for a legacy member.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, if you're really following the rules, if you're a legacy and you have your mother or your sister cousin, it gets a little tricky. But like especially your mother or your sister were in that sorority, you do have legacy to then be in that sorority. Sometimes, you know, during the process, things do get mixed up and maybe you don't make the cut, and that's always a big what to do if that happens. But most of the time, if a family member is in that sorority, you should have legacy. Do I think you should ever go into recruitment with that mentality?
Speaker 3: Probably not. But that is a thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a thing for us, But now I have heard since I've kind of reconnected with sorority sisters, but now at ute does not really matter, can't doesn't Maybe it helps a little, but there are so many girls trying to get into like the same sorority. There's so much competition now, and so I don't think legacy carries you like it used to.
Speaker 9: Okay, at one point in the process, the top sorority is really trying to get this girl who is a senator's daughter. They really want her because of the prestige and money that it will bring to the house. I don't know if that sounds accurate, but when they're offering her a bid, basically the sorority sister says, we'll give you whatever you want, and she says, I want my own room, and then she goes done, and she goes and I want access to family vacation homes. So another question, would a freshman ever get her own room in the sorority house and do you ever have access to other members' vacation homes family vacation homes.
Speaker 2: Definitely never heard of that, although my daughter did get her own room in the sorority house because she has type one diabetes, so we kind of pull wherever we can. We try to pull the diabetes card. It's all it's because diabetes, but we try to use it when we.
Speaker 3: Can, I mean, why not Vanessa system?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, so she did get We first tried to use it to get her out of having to live in the house, but that did not go over. So they did give her her own room, which was great. But I never heard of that otherwise.
Speaker 9: One of the frat houses, the capitaos, the one that are the disorganized animal house guys. The morning after, they're trying to remember all the guys that they met the night before, so they're literally going, hey, do you remember Chris, Hey, do you remember somebody named Brian? And then they go did anybody take pictures as they entered? So is that something they do? Do they take pictures of each of you as you enter into the house to remember a face with a name.
Speaker 2: No, I don't remember that. We used to have professional because we didn't have cell phones. Yeah, so I want you to imagine that, geez. So we had there was a professional, professional photographer at all of the parties and who they would take your picture with either your friends or your date or whatever, and then you'd have like underneath it would be like I don't know, ZBT a fy whatever kind of part, cowboy part, whatever it was, and you went away till that and then and then the photographer would come with all the pictures and you'd have to buy the pictures that you wanted. Yeah, yeah, I mean that was that was the only way to document this stuff.
Speaker 9: Two of the guys end up getting into a fight in this episode and one hits the other one with a wooden paddle.
Speaker 5: First of all, what are those wooden paddles for? I literally don't know.
Speaker 9: And have you ever heard of somebody getting in a fight with those things and using it as a weapon?
Speaker 1: The wooden paddles, if I'm understanding you correctly, it's like kind of what your sorority sisters. I mean, I don't think the Frock guys do this, So I don't know why they would have a wooden paddle, but like in my sorority, you would like decorate your paddle for you're like you're little or you're like for your little typically.
Speaker 2: No, I can tell you what they're for, what they grew their origin?
Speaker 5: Tell me I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Well it's not I don't know if this is the absolute origin. But I grew up in a place called Sugarland, Texas, and the principal used to have a wooden paddle on the wall, and if you got in trouble, you'd have to go to the principal's office and bend over and you got what was called a pop. This is true.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine that today?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine a girls having to bend over and put her ass out while the principal smacked her. Imagine that today? But I mean, so paddles were for our peeps. They were for smacking your ass if you were bad, and I'm guessing that that's I mean, that's what they kind of represent.
Speaker 6: Thank god.
Speaker 2: Now they're just used to decorate and put cute stickers on and give to your little But yeah, I think they were a thing.
Speaker 9: Okay, and so half accurate again on that one.
Speaker 5: We don't We.
Speaker 9: Still question mark on that, okay. So towards the end of the episode, Rusty basically declines his bid to the Omega KUIs after he catches the President basically cheating on his own sister, and the President tells him like, hey man, this stays between brothers, which is kind of like ick. Right, He's like, that's my sister and you're cheating, But you want me to keep it between us because we might be brothers, and then he gets a bid and he's like ew gross, like no, thank you, So he declined Rusty. Good for Rusty, and he instead chooses to be a pledge with the capitous the Animal House guys because they're more fun and he's a nerd and he wants to like have his college experience. First of all, they call him pledge after that, So do you do that in college?
Speaker 5: You call they.
Speaker 9: Literally stop calling him Rusty and they call him pledge.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah I think so, he no, yeah, no, yeah, you're you're called the pledges. Especially in the fraternities, right, the freshman guys are called pledges.
Speaker 9: But like they literally don't call him by his name. They will say Pledge, come here, Pledge go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they'll clean my room.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, so that is accurate. Okay, great.
Speaker 9: And then at the end we see Rusty in the bar and he's now fully dressed as a girl and he goes, uh, he asks if like this is the extent of his hazing, so give it to me straight, like in this was I don't This was in two thousand and seven when this show came out, so like almost twenty years ago. So are they still doing this form of hazing, of dressing guys as girls are doing some sort of public embarrassment like this.
Speaker 3: I would say public embarrassment.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's like they'll have them dress up as girls, but I think, yeah, like the frack guys will do whatever they want to.
Speaker 5: Give me an example, tell me stuff that you saw.
Speaker 2: I just remember all the frat guys I went to dress in all different things on campus and then like go to class and like or like go to class without their shirts on or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, what is it called like that they would do the naked mile around campus freaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, they did that back in my day.
Speaker 9: So wait, so you guys actually witness people streaking. It's not just like an old school where they're like, we're going streaking, like that's a real thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't remember witnessing it, but I remember it happening. My son was also in a frat. I feel like he had to do shit like that. I don't know about streaking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they make you do crazy Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, wait, but like what I think the cops get called.
Speaker 9: Like you can go to jail for like being naked out in the middle of the Street, like, when.
Speaker 6: Are you doing this?
Speaker 3: Thank God, it's a different day. It was probably in the middle of the night.
Speaker 9: Like, okay, okay, interesting, Well, thanks guys for kind of clearing that up for me as to what's kind of accurate, what's kind.
Speaker 6: Of Oh wait, does Rusty end up? Okay, poor little Rusty.
Speaker 9: You guys have to watch And I will say all the episodes are available on Hulu. The show was originally on ABC Family, which is now free Form. And it is so cute and fun and in four seasons, just like the amount of time you're in college. So I highly recommend to any that's so cute I haven't seen it to watch it this weekend.
Speaker 6: Love that.
Speaker 2: Okay. I'm gonna say in my family, guys, sorry, I can't hang out. I'll be watching Rusty and Greek. I'll be like, you need to get a life.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: So these were all very interesting. I definitely need to catch up on my Greek life movies.
Speaker 3: And TV shows. Gia, I'm telling you I gotta watch Animal House.
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel badly.
Speaker 2: Don't tell Teresa Judice that I'm telling you to watch it. Although it's not like it's crazy, but it's just so politically incorrect, but it is funny. Oh and by the way, the music, I really hope you'll recognize the the other song shout come on now shout. I think people still use that. It's no oh god, otis Redding?
Speaker 6: Is that who?
Speaker 2: I'll forget it, but you should watch the movie.
Speaker 1: If I recognize any any music, I'll text you and let you know. I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend. I'm going to be watching Animal House and texting John.
Speaker 3: Fosger Girl, my updates, My Girl. And that was our episode of Dirty Rush this week.
Speaker 2: Until next time, Until next time, you guys,