Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets podcast, Eric Allen joined by Leja Duza Bawl.
Speaker 2: Draft Week is here. Dudes, it's upon us.
Speaker 3: Can you believe it? Ea? I mean I feel like the season ended maybe a month ago, right, I feel like, you know, the Super Bowl in Vegas was right like literally yesterday, and now here we are, look at us already ready for the new era of players to come into the brotherhood of the NFL. Man Tom Flies, Tom Flies.
Speaker 2: Hea, time certainly does fly.
Speaker 1: And this is our last pre draft podcast with dues, and we're putting you on the clock for the New York Jets. The Jets have seven overall selections dues, starting.
Speaker 2: With number ten overall.
Speaker 1: Before we get to those picks, how did you go about targeting players for the Jets needs this spring?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I went back and forth, and I actually do this exercise where I think and I run down like what teams or who they could potentially pick before the Jets actually picked. So it was like a real exercise. So when you look at this draft, it's based on you know, going through each round seeing what player may or may not be there most more specimply, in first round, right, I looked at the first nine picks, and did you know some evaluation of what teams could potentially trade up for the quarterbacks at the top of the draft, what teams need, have certain needs at certain positions. And that's how I was able to make my pick at number ten and then even going down to the third round, right, just going through the draft seeing what player could possibly be there. So that's that's how, like I said, it's I was. I would want to say it was tedious because I love going through this exercise because this is probably, ea what my tenth mock draft, right, so it gets fun every time when you just, you know, decipher who could potentially be there, what team has a need, and how they tried to fill it as to posed as opposed to what the Jets are going to need at that certain pick.
Speaker 1: All right, we control the cards, so we could do this different than what's going to happen on draft weekend. Correct, Hey, goal in order do you want to lead up to number ten? Should we start backwards, should we start all the way from mister irrelevant? Or you want to do this traditional style?
Speaker 3: Let's do a traditional style.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, here we go number ten overall? Who did he consider here before you put in the card.
Speaker 3: Well, eh, I don't believe it's a secret anymore. Uh my affinity from Roma Dune day. Yeah, but in this mock he was already gone. So unfortunately he was not there at the number ten pick for the Jets. So I went back and back and forth to see best player available, best fit, right, and that's how I came up with who I picked at the number ten spot.
Speaker 1: All right, So who was on the board. Who were some names that Jets fans like? Who was on the board? Yep, before you picked this a certain peck twelve alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brock Bauers was still on the board. JC Latham was still on the board, and Talie Uagga was still on the board.
Speaker 1: Okay, Lege Dousable, you are now on the number ten overall selection.
Speaker 3: We're out in the war room. We're all discussing what we should do. Who's you know on our board at this number ten spot. And when it came down to it, I went with Troy Fataneu, the offensive tackle from Washington. When you look at how he would fit in the Jets plan, right, this is a guy that has positioned flexibility and versatility. He could start at guard or at tackle, but I think he's athletic enough he could really started tackling. Yes, I know the Jets brought in Tyrone Smith, they traded for Morgan Moses, but both of those guys are in their mid thirty and we've seen the issues that Jesse had at the tackle position staying healthy. So why not have a guy with the versatility to essentially almost start every spot on the offensive line if somebody were to go down, Because you got to think in this day and age, in the NFL seventeen games, ya, somebody most likely is gonna get inged up, right, somebody's gonna have to come in and spot start. And what better player than Troy Fontanau, A guy like I said, the athletic ability to stay at tackle, but I believe can play guard at a high level as well. Kind of reminds me of AVT when he came out right and he's a guy that's been able to, you know, go from tackle to guard back to tackle. Hopefully this year he can solidify himself at guard and just stay at guard. I think Troy fontanu to beef up that offensive line makes the most sense at pick number ten.
Speaker 1: Interesting, dude, he played defensive line in high school. Number two overall recruit out of the state of Nevada, played in Nevada high school ball, so he knows Roman Dunda from way back when got his degree in real estate. Started every game each of the past two seasons. Okay, I like this kid as a prospect. You've been saying for weeks, you've been standing on the table, well probably months, Yet, gotta go receiver here because there's more of a need. Why ultimately you said the top three receivers were off.
Speaker 2: Okay, why no Bowers?
Speaker 3: Well, when you look at positional value, We've had this discussion, Ea, brock Bowers, I think is a hell of a player. I don't want people coming after me and my DMS and everything thinking I have something against brock Bowers. That's simply not true. I think it's a hell of a player. But for people that are saying, you can't just treat him like a tight end, they said the same thing about Kyle Pitts in Atlanta, and that still hasn't worked out to this day. They were literally comparing pitch to a unicorn, Ea, because that's essentially what he was. He was a freak athlete, just like Brock Bowers explosive in the open field, just like Brock. But if you don't have a set plan for a guy with that type of skill set, it isn't worthy of a top ten pick, and it usually doesn't work out. I know, I was on Twitter the other day or exit whatever you want to call it, EA, and I was saying Dalton Kinka, like, you know, he's kind of comparable to Brock Powers, and people kind of got after me and I would say, I said, I think Bowers is a better athlete, right, and he probably blocks a little bit better. But I will say it this year, Dalton Kinkad in Buffalo, I saw some dog in him blocking I didn't see at Utah. So a lot of it has to come with coaching or what they ask him to do at Utah. So if Brock Bowers has a season like Dalton Kinkaid had, it's a good season. But it's not a good season if you're a top ten pick, right, because you got to think about it. Garry Wilson was a top ten pick and went over a thousand yards his rookie year. Dalton k Kin I believe, had seventy three catches for right under seven hundred yards, which is a quality year for a tight end. But if you're going in the top ten, people are gonna say that's a bad year for him. So like, why would you put that kid in that predicament? To me, yes, I know Rock Bowers is a weapon x if you would like to say that, but he's still a traditional tight end. He can line up at the traditional tight end spot, you can line him up in the backfield, you can split him out, but most tight ends in the NFL are doing that today anyway.
Speaker 1: Ea, So why Big Troy over Fuaga and also overlay them?
Speaker 3: I just think the position flexibility. Now, Fuaga can play guard as well, but I think he's more pencil than as a right tackle in a guard where try Fontonu could play right tackle, left tackle, left guard, right guard, and I dare say he may be even able to play center as well. So I just thought, with the position flexibility, and even though the Jets have a starting five offensive line, why not get a guy that you know is versatile enough to play every spot on the offensive line if somebody were to get dinged up and not just play play at a high level as well at those positions. So it was tough hea. I went back and forth between him and Wagga because Olu Fashnu and Joe Walt were already off the board, right, So like I went back and forth between those two. I just thought, as far as position flexibility, Troy fonton new made a lot more sense.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but you play your best five. You talked about the Jets editions in the offseason. If you take font number ten overall, will he ultimately be a day one starter for you when you're opening the season up in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: And that's the question mark EA, And I think Joe Douglas did a masterful job and the contracts that he did with trading for Morgan Moses who doesn't have a hot cat number. Same thing with Tyron Smith. So if Troy Fontonu comes in and he's ready, he's the starter, and Morgan Moses or dare I say, even Tyron Smith would be your swing guy. And the crazy thing is they're technically getting swing tackle type money anyway, right EA, when you look at and break down their contracts for this last year. So to me, if Troy fontan neuw comes in and proves that he's one of the best starting fives. You start him like that's what it is. And now let's not forget Morgan Moses in twenty one when he came to the Jets, he was essentially supposed to be the swing guy. Hea people forget that mkyy Begthon got hurt in the first half Onirst Carolina and that's why Morgan Moses went on to start for the rest of the season, right because George Fent was dealing with some injuries as well, but mky Becthon going down solidified Morgan Moses in the starting lineup and he just never looked back. So Morgan Moses is used to being in this predicament, so I think this would be something that, of course, as a player, you want to be out there and start. But if they asked him, you know, Morgan, we need you to be the swing guy. And there's probably a high percentage chance you're gonna play this year because we just know how the NFL works and guys get dinged up. I think Morgan Moses would would be up for that.
Speaker 1: Troy front Knew goes number ten overall to the Jets. Okay, dudes, you are on the board. You had to wait out round two. But it is Friday night, it is round three, it is selection time. Picked number seventy two for the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: Drum roll silky smooth Ricky Piersow, wide receiver from Florida. I love this kid's game. A smooth route runner, does a good job temple in his routes. And when I say tempo, he gives you different cadences. That way, you essentially don't know what route he's going to run. People talked about his speed and worried about his speed he run. He ran a sub four to five. I think I low four four one if I'm not mistaken. And you see it on film, right, he took an end a round versus Miszoo thirty plus yards and ea, if you look at that Missouri defense, it's gonna be like five or six gut selected in this draft. So that's a top notch defense, and he outran all of them to the end zone. So, Ricky Piersaw, we know that there needs to be a receiver taking in this draft to pair with Garrett Wilson. Yes, we know. Mike Williams was a big sign against free agency. But he's coming off a major knee injury, right, so it'll give you the flexibility. Even though Piersoll is a slot receiver, it'll give you the flexibility to move Garrett Wilson from the outside to the inside. Piersaw can play on the outside, but he does a lot of his damage in the slot. So in the third round, I think it makes a lot of sense, especially if you go O Line in the first to rectify you know, the receiver room by getting a guy who a lot of people see could be a second round pick. But if he slides to the third, I think you run that card in, especially if you go O Line in the first round.
Speaker 1: Okay, why is he there in round three? You mentioned it before? Is it because the size and speed concerns? And with that being said, I really like this kid's production last year at Florida. You're talking about sixty five catches, nine hundred and sixty five yards. He had the four touchdowns last season, one hundred and fifty career receptions. A transfer from Arizona.
Speaker 3: State, Arizona some players, you know what.
Speaker 1: He was part of the recruiting class that included jayde Day to go number two overall in this draft, do you think to talk about some of the concerns maybe and why are you sitting there in round three?
Speaker 3: But I just think, yeah, slaughtered him as a slot guy, So slot guys usually go down lower in the draft. And then we talked about this being one of the deepest receiving classes, which means other positions will get pushed up in the draft, and you could see some receivers that are second round receivers drop into the third and third round receivers drop into the fourth because teams feel like I can still get a quality receiver later on in the draft, let me go attack a need that I have and another position group that isn't as strong. So that's a lot of times what you see in these drafts, with you know, the offensive line being so deep and the receivers being so deep. A lot of those guys, like even a guy like Jordan Mrgan, who I have slated to go at the end of the first round, he may slide into the second just because this is a deep offensive line class and teams that have needs in other positions. If there's a premium player there, you're gonna make an emphasis on trying to go get that player because that position group is not as strong and it may be harder for you to answer that void later on in the draft. So I think this is just, you know, a component of Ricky Pierso being in a really deep receiver class. Again, he could go at the end of the second round, but I got him here at the top of the third.
Speaker 1: Hey, dudes, what do you think about him being on the all nickname team slick Rick?
Speaker 3: You like that? I like slick Fricky Fears probably have the best catching college football all last year for Charlotte, going up against his body, one hand snacking the ball out of the year. So he has really good hands. Again, a really good route runner, temples his routes really well to be able to shake free thee. There is one concern and press man. Sometimes he struggles to get off press, so that could be another reason why he may slip a little bit lower.
Speaker 2: Okay. I like that selection myself.
Speaker 1: I am a former Gator, so bringing in bringing in here Florida alump.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the Jets have a pair of seasoned veteran quarterbacks at the top of their depth chart in Aaron Rodgers Tyrod Taller. But hey, did you like what you heard up from Joe Douglas the other day. He said he wants to build a quarterback factory here. I started thinking to myself, Hey, Jets, they're gonna be adding a quarterback here on day three and for you, no surprise, you go signal caller here round four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without a doubt, I think every team every year should take a look at a quarterback right just because, for one, if you're able to develop that guy, he's a trade chip later on until you just never know what's gonna happen with your starting quarterback. So I took a flyer here in the fourth round and one of my favorite prospects in the draft, Michael Pratt, the quarterback from Tulane. I mean to me, throws with the most touched in this draft class. Now, he doesn't have the biggest arm ea right, and sometimes struggles with them, throws deep down the field outside the numbers. But you talk about a leader, three time captain right knows how to win. People tend to forget. Last year against USC and the Cotton Bowl, he put on a display verse them and put up over fifty points against USC. Now, again, that's not a really good defense. So I'm a purposely by saying that, but nobody gave Tulane a chance in that game. He's an ultimate leader, a heck of a competitor. EA. They put this guy in the run game, right, so don't talk about his athletic ability. He used him in the run game, and you see the toughness and grittiness when he runs with the football. He's a guy that people just rally around. I think he's a perfect fit to come in sit behind Tyrod Taylor and Aaron Rodgers for two years with the opportunity maybe in two years to take over as a starting quarterback for the New York Jets.
Speaker 2: So let's stay right there, dudes.
Speaker 1: Takes Michael Pratt out of Tulane with the first of two fourth round selections for the Jets. That's number one eleven overall. You actually do see starting potential in this guy. Even though Pratt he sees the field really well. People say it's calming in the pocket, very poised. He and also, like you mentioned, the toughness factor, not afraid to run it, very smart, cerebral. With his athletic maybe limitations, you still see a potential NFL starter here.
Speaker 3: I do, and I've always been higher on micropracting people. I mean, starting this process, I had him as a late second round pick, and then I moved him into the third, so I would not be surprised if a team even tried to get him in the third round. You know, a lot of people will say on Day two it's probably going to be maybe Bo Nicks, Spencer Ratler, and I think Pratt was that third guy that could potentially slide into the third and if not, he's most likely going to be the first quarterback taken in the fourth round. And good for to just to have a pretty high fourth round pick if he's able to be there, I think it just makes sense as a developmental guy for a year or two, most likely two years, sit behind Rogers, sit behind Tyrod Taylor, and I think he has starting potential. I talked about it again, the way he's able to elevate his team at Tulane back to back years going to the American Conference Championship Game, and if you look at what he did this year without having his number one receiver, Jawan Jackson's probably going to be a third round receiver for most of the year. He still led them to the American Conference championship this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not fair of me to say, hey, this guy's that athletic.
Speaker 2: He's completely athletic.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, hey, maybe doesn't have the arm strength of a Josh Allen an Aaron Aaron Rodgers, but.
Speaker 2: At the same time, who does. Yeah, this guy brings a lot to the table.
Speaker 1: He's a multi sport star in high school, a four point zero GPA guy. You mentioned the leadership in tangible, so he definitely is going to be a name to watch. On Day three of the draft, the Jets have two fourth round selections, so with pick number one, thirty four overall, where are you going?
Speaker 3: I went at the defensive tackle position because if you look at how that room is constructed right now, besides Quinn Williams, everybody else is on a one year deal, writ Zavon Kilow one year deal. Solomon Thomas Folks too, one year deal. I went with Makay Wingo, who fits perfectly in the system as an attacking defensive tackle three technique that can help you with interior pass rush. And people will say it's a little undersized, but if you turn on the film, he stays up in there. Ea at the point of attack against double teams. Because he is undersized, he has great lets beverage. He can get up under blockers. But talk about first step quickness. That is what Robert Sala likes with his defensive lineman. He wants them to have that first step quickness to be able to create havoc in the backfield. We know that this defense is run by the defensive line. Like the defensive line helps with everything else at linebacker and in the secondary, so you can never have enough of those guys in rotation. And again, I would like for the just to finally draft somebody that can grow with Quinn Williams, that can learn from him and eventually maybe even become a starter next to him. I think this is a sweet spot right here in the fourth round to take a defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: He started his collegiate career at Missouri, finished up at LSU most of the time with the Bayou Bangles. He's playing three tech. Is that where you think he's gonna play on the next level as well?
Speaker 3: Well? I think about the LSU defense, it's a hybrid defense. They do a mixture of four to three three four, And you see him sometimes as a head up nose, So I think he can play the one technique as well, especially in this system. It's a more attacking system with the Jets. It's not like he'll be in there, you know, taking on six or seven hundred pounds like if he's doing that, the linebacker's got to go and that's how this defense is bred. So I believe he can stay at the one technique or the three technique. And with Robert Sola's defense, both of the d tackles are interchangeable. You got to be able to play both. I think Makay Wingo can do both.
Speaker 1: I like that people rave about his competitive nature. He was also a team captain. You play the position. When people say short arms, yeah, specific what what's the thought process and what are you looking for on film?
Speaker 3: Well, you look at it in two ways, right, Because this defensive tackle group, I've been saying this, I think they haven't gotten enough respect for what they do. And I think it's just because of the thought process of what you're talking about. EA. People talking about short arms, shorter bill guys. But if you look at the evolution of where the NFL is gone, it's kind of become that at the defensive tackle position. When you look at guys like you know, Aaron Donald, who was shorter defensive tackle right, but still had great strength at the point of attack. When you look at this draft, the guys like Brandon Fizz, McKay Wingo, even Byron Murphy, they're not the biggest guys right, but they're very explosive in their lower half. And the thing about it is they've had short arms their whole lives, so they've had to adapt to that. Now on film, sometimes you do see them struggle get disengaging quicker because they can't get that extension because their arms on as long. But these again, these are guys that have been playing with that deficiency their whole life, if that's what you want to call it a deficiency. To me, I think that's what keeps a chip on their shoulder because everybody's telling them, you know, you got shorter arms, you struggle, you know, we wonder can you stay up in there in the double teams? Can you disengage and get off blocks and make plays on the running backs and both all the guys that I talked about have been able to do that on film. So yeah, you worry about a guy maybe disengaging quick enough to you know, get off a blocker and make it play on a running back. But again, these guys have all been deficient in the area of their whole lives, and yet they've still been able to make plays.
Speaker 1: All right, So McKay wingo goes to the Jets with the second of four of their two fourth round selections. Let's move into round six. Now, dudes, you've been talking about the need for the Jets to add a safety.
Speaker 2: Now that was prior to Ashton Davis resigning.
Speaker 1: With taking that into account, you still think the Jets could make a play here for that position on day three?
Speaker 3: Oh for sure. I mean the depth still isn't strong at the safety position. And yeah, we talked about this before Ashton came back to the Jets and signed the one year deal. I thought this was a higher priority. I took a safety in the third round and people looked at me crazy, and I was like, have you seen the debt or lack thereof on the roster right now? How did you look at me crazy for taking a safety in the third round. Knowing that Jeff Obrich and Robert Salad liked to use three safeties in their defensive sets at times I don't understand it, so I still took a filler one Evan Williams, who I believe is a really good in the box safety. This guy will hit you. I mean he will hit you. So he's gonna fit in that mold that Robert Sala and Jeff Albrick really liked that. I wouldn't put him in the middlefield safety. You know, that's why we have Tony for it. Tony does a really good job being that middlefield half field safety, but a guy that's gonna be an enforcer in the box. And Ashton Davis is a combination of the two. He can do both. I think Chuck Clark is a guy that can do both, but it's more of an in the box safety guy. And let's not forget he's coming off of major knee injury. Even though it was earlier in the offseason last year. You would assume that he's gonna be ready. You just never know how these things are gonna respond. So I think he's a great developmental safety that could eventually turn into your third safety.
Speaker 1: You were down in Mobile, Alabama for the Senior Ball like every year. How much did he impress you during that week and maybe during that time, dude, does he come, does he make a transition from probably, Hey, this guy could be an undrafted dude, maybe a priority free agent too. Oh no, he's going to go on day three now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think he solidified hisself in Day three, especially at the Singer Bowl. You saw what you saw on tape at Organ, how he flies around to the football right, it jumps off on tape and again you know the mantra for the Jets all gas snow breaks. You have to have that type of mentality when you're playing in a Jeff Albrick Robert solid defense. So when I saw him at the Singer Bowl and I saw him flying around and even saw him, you know, cover better than I thought I would see him because on film you saw some struggles there at times when he's in open space trying to cover in zone. He did a little bit better job in mobile. But I really like him as an in the box guy. I think that's where he'll flourish. I think he'll be he'll flourish on special teams as well.
Speaker 1: A great point about special teams. Last point here. He was an effective blitzer last year, Organ, wasn't he.
Speaker 3: That's why I like him in the box, like bringing him off the edge. We see from time to time. Now Jeff Olbrick doesn't major in blitzing just because our defensive line can get after you with just four. But when he does blitz, whether it's bringing Quincy william off the edge or even White had when he was here, sometimes bringing him, you know, through the middle of the defense or off the edge like Evan Williams is a guy that can come off the edge and get to the quarterback.
Speaker 2: All right, Lejay dudesa boll.
Speaker 1: We have some breaking news right now on the podcast.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: You never know when a trade is going to happen, and reports are the Jets made their second trade of the off season involving twenty twenty four draft picks on Monday, sending quarterback Zach Wilson and a seventh round pick number two fifty six overall to the Broncos in exchange for a sixth.
Speaker 2: Rounder number two three.
Speaker 1: Before we get to two oh three here on the mock draft, what are your thoughts of the deal and Zach Wilson going back to the Mountain West.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we kind of knew this was coming down the pike. EA Zack Wilson, you know, up and down career with the Jets, and you assume when the Jets signed Tyrod Taylor as the backup quarterback for Aaron Rodgers that there was going to be some business that was going to be done. You know, Zach Wilson wasn't with the team at the start of the offseason program. So I think this is a win win honestly for both teams, right, because sometimes as a player you just need a fresh start. And you talked about it, right, He's going back to the Mountain West, closer to his family. You would hope that, you know, maybe with Sean Payton they can get the best out of his talent. He was the number two overall pick and maybe he'll be a little bit more comfortable closer to family. So just was Zach Wilson the best didn't work out here with the Jets, right, So I think this was best needed for both teams, not just you know, the Broncos, but as far as Zach Wilson and the Jets for him to start a.
Speaker 1: New bottom line, the writing was on the wall as soon as the season ended. And also just from the perspective of this guy being who's someone who used to walk the halls here at one Jets Drive. Like you said, you hope that he is able to get his career on track in Denver. And sometimes people just need new opportunities and a new place to start the career.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yep, perfect example. Geno Smith went through the same thing here with the New York Jets, was able to go to the Giants and Chargers. Then he found his home with the Seattle Seahawks. And look at him now, right, pro Bowl quarterback just a year ago, played really well last year when he was healthy. Now he's going to be a starter for his third year in a row. So sometimes you just need a fresh start in a new environment and hopefully you can channel some of that talent that you had that made you such a high draftic. And again, just wishing nothing but the best for Zach Wilson as he moves forward with the Denver Broncos.
Speaker 1: Hey, wouldn't it be something if he's the starter when the Broncos actually come to the Jets next season.
Speaker 2: We'll have to see it's all unfold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is what's great because if you look at it and you look at the current roster, I think the biggest thing with Zack. People always wanted him to be able to sit behind a veteran and learn what if he goes out in Denver and balls ends up being a starter because they do have the number twelve pick, but I think it's high for a quarterback in this draft, depending on who actually falls there, So they could potentially maybe try to trade back and get a guy in the second round. But either way, like Zacha has a good opportunity to kind of rewrite his history in Denver, And like you said, wouldn't it be poetic justice? Right if Denver Broncos when they come to town, Zack Wilson is the starting.
Speaker 2: Quarter Listen, It's possible. It certainly is possible.
Speaker 1: Because you're talking about that Broncos quarterback room right now. The most proven guy there, you would say, is Jared Stidham.
Speaker 3: I would say maybe Zach Wilson honestly, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, well yeah, well, Wilson definitely has more experience, But I don't know as far as like a depth chart is concerned, I don't know if right now Sean Payton would put Steddham first or.
Speaker 3: Well Stedham would be the starter for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely more experienced, so he gets a fresh start. The Jets have two veteran quarterbacks in your mock draft. You have already taken that developmental passer from Tulane for the New York Jets in the fourth round, but you're up to the sixth round with the two hundred and third overall selection.
Speaker 2: Now the Jets pick.
Speaker 3: Who offensive tackle Tyland Grable from UCF, A developmental tackle that's very athletic. Believe he ran in a sub five forty at the combine, so you see the athletic ability. There was a Eastern West guy had a really good week in the East and West game, and he's a guy that with his athletic ability, does a really good job of cutting guys off from the backside. The one thing that may be concerned he's not the biggest guy. Hea He's only about three hundred three hundred and five pounds, and sometimes speed the power can be an issue for this guy. But has really good footwear right as times up. You know, his punch really well on opposing defenders. So he's a guy I think it could be really a really good developmental guy and maybe even down the stretch be a swing guy. For you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do you go to school?
Speaker 3: I think he went to the best university in the land EA, UCF. This has no bearing on me picking him here in the sixth round.
Speaker 1: The University of Central Florida, where one Leja Ducible also played college football.
Speaker 3: This is correct. This is correct. But again this has no bearing because we saw earlier in my draft I took Ricky Pirisol in the third round where I could have took Javon Baker and I didn't.
Speaker 2: Former college quarterback here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting backstory, and you find a lot of those there late in the draft.
Speaker 2: Which leads us to mister.
Speaker 1: Irrelevant number two fifty seven overall.
Speaker 2: Last.
Speaker 1: But no, at least here's the guy who's going to have a parade. I think they have this whole big set up in Newport, California following the draft, so as opposed to signing a priority free agent, and the Jets are gonna select who here.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go to the great state of West Virginia. No, not the University of West Virginia. Ea. I'm gonna go to Huntington, West Virginia. Marshall their running back Rashen Ali. I love this kid's game. He is a guy that has a lot of patience behind the line of scrimmage. Is also a really good pass protector and we know ea a lot of Rocky struggle when it comes to that coming into the league. He's a guy that will fit it up there and block blitzing linebackers really well. I think he'll be a really good developmental guy. That's a chance to make this team on special teams and potentially help you out on some third downs with protections.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Dane by Ruler who puts together the Beast every year as far as his breakdowns on all the college prospects. This guy has an interesting background the running back from Marshall, doesn't he because he grew up in Cleveland. His dad own and operated a jim His production at school off the charts got nine zone a lot lejay.
Speaker 2: I think it was fifteen touchdowns last year.
Speaker 1: One thing you want to see him work on at the next level ball security, right.
Speaker 3: For sure, And you alluded to some of the great things about him. He's a finisher in the red zone. He's a tough, physical runner, right, He's gonna get across that goal line. But you talked about it. The ball security he'd probably be a little bit higher up on this draft board if it wasn't for that. He does tend to every once in a while lose that ball. So that's something that you can hope will be developed with coaching, and this is a perfect spot to take him as mister irrelevant and hopefully the Justs can develop this guy and he could be a really good back and also again help you out on special teams.
Speaker 1: All right, so what do you think about Lejay dousables twenty twenty four New York Jets draft class. Starting with the headliner Troy Fatanu out of Washington with that number ten overall selection, you go to Florida and take Ricky Pearson with the third round selection, slick Rick Michael Pratt developmental quarterback. There in the fourth round, McKai Wingo, defensive tackle out of LSU, a really NonStop motor, a guy who produced and could come in and you think fit in quite well with the Jets loaded defensive line. Evan Williams, a hard hitting safety from Oregon who was all over the field. You project him as a box safety Grable your fellow UC Afflam of course, a guy developmental prospect in the sixth round and then finally.
Speaker 2: Rasheen Alie out of Marshall.
Speaker 1: Jets have a top flight running back in Brest Hall. We like what we saw out of is he Abana Kanda last year, but you could use some depth in that office of backfield as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really loved this class. And again just depending on the scenario. In this scenario, the top three receivers were gone, the top two offensive tackles were gone. I could have went to least for Waga, who a lot of people say GM Joe Douglas has an infinity for but I went with Fatanu just because of the position flexibility. I think he can maybe even play center as well. I think that's how talented this kid is. And we know when the NFL guys get banged up. We got two starting tackles. They're in their mid thirties, once coming off a torn peg surgery and the other one has hasn't had a complete season. I think in the last four years. He's missed some time in Tyron Smith. So you have Fortana Hugasa in there, and then even at guard right Avt has had to deal with some injuries. If something were to happen to him for Tonal could slide right in at guard and you wouldn't miss a step.
Speaker 1: I like what you did here in terms of positional need, because the Jets didn't have glaring needs going into this draft, but they pick up an offensive lineman who you really like his versatility, then they get a receiver that's a group you have to add to. Obviously, after this trade of Zach Wilson, you got to get a developmental quarterback in the building. And you've been talking about these defensive tackles who are going to line up adjacent to Quinn Williams, but they're all on short term deals. Then safety, you've been talking about depth at deposition for a long time. Grabil is an other offensive lineman. Joe Douglas wants to continue to add there to the trenches. And we saw the Jets play thirteen different offensive line combinations I think sixteen offensive linemen in all. And then finally, al Lee is a guy who could bet to make this roster and potentially help on special teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I like like you said, the positional value and where I took guys in regards to needs. Again, you would like to get one of the top three receivers, but it didn't pan out that way. In this draft scenario, you get a really good offensive lineman who has the versatility to play multiple positions. And then in the third round our guy slick Rick pearsall right, the guy that's one of the best slot receivers in this league. Now you can't play on the outside as well, but he does a lot of his damage in the slot. One of the best route runners in this draft, does a really good job going up and getting the football as well, and does have speed. Even though people question that, I believe it ran a four to four one at the combine. And I've been saying for the longest that there needs to be a defensive tackle that can grow with Quinn Williams. And that's why I took Makai Wingo, because if you look at everybody else besides Quinn Williams, they're all on one of your deals EA. And then with the trade to Zach Wilson, you heard GM Joe Douglas said we would love to be a quarter factory, So why not take a swing out of developmental guy in the forefront of Michael Pratt, who I think will fit right in with that quarterback Room, a proven leader and winner that throws with a lot of touch. You can sit and learn behind two really good vets and Tyrod Taylor and also Aaron Rodgers. And then the back of the draft, we took Evan Williams, who will help you out on safety on special teams, but a guy I think eventually could be your number three safety in the box safety as a great blitzer and a hard hitter and a tone center in that secondary. Tylan Grabow developmental tackle. And then Rashine Ali will be a developmental running back. So I really love this class. Ea, I'm sure you do.
Speaker 2: It's yours, it is my class.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so final thoughts here. We just went three year mock draft. But your thoughts on what's going ahead with the decisions that are going to be made for Joe Douglas and crews gonna happen at the top of the draft Thursday night.
Speaker 3: So in talking about exact, not about the Jets, but literally what's gonna happen with the draft and how it can.
Speaker 1: You know, impact dudes, bottom line, how's it going to impact what the Jets landscape looks like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, looking at the draft, I could see you know we are kind of it's almost inevitable that Caleb Williams most likely is going number one overall. Look at number two, I still think Jay there's a strong belief that Jayde and Daniels will go to overall. Just makes too much sense with Cliff Kingsbury being the offensive coordinator and looking at you know, jayd and Daniels' skill set just looks like a perfect marriage for those two guys. Honestly, at three, I think is where the draft starts. I think the page game trade out of three. Honestly, I think they're gonna tray because they just have so many holes on their roster right now, why not try to trade back and get some more blue chip players because the Cobe Brissette is proven he can be a spot starter in this league and even win you games. Right So, like I think, you know, Comeo to Rob Mayo has a lot of faith in Jacoby Brisset, and I believe that team does as well. Where they take a filler on a quarterback, probably in the second round.
Speaker 2: Are you still circling Minnesota there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Minnesota trades up depending on if they have the enough capital to do it. That now they do have two first round picks this year. I think it would take two first this year and maybe even a third to move from eleven to three. And if you're the New England Pagers, you try to even get three first for them to move up, right, So I believe they have the draft capitol to potentially move up depending on what they want to do with picks in twenty twenty five. Right, But they do have the two first round picks this year because of the trade they made with the Houston Texans already. So when you look at that, I think Minnesota definitely, you know, moves up and tries to get their quarterback and I think it'll be Drake May at number three. If you just look at the history of Drake May, he was coached by Josh McCown in high school, who is the current quarterback coach for the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 1: Would you be surprised if any one other than Marvin Harrison Junior goes for overall to Arizona.
Speaker 3: No, that's not happening. Marvin Harrison Junior will be the number four pick at Arizona.
Speaker 1: So let's get to five car balls starting his program there with the Chargers. Are you looking at them as a potential team that is going to look to add a bunch of assets and maybe potentially gets out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're going to try to trade back if they can, just depending on how the first three picks go, sat Minnesota isn't able to make a trade happen with New England. I think New England actually takes Marvin Harrison at number three. Then if that's the case, just again, because they need so many you know, they have so many holes on their roster, why not get a blue chip guy. It could be your true number one receiver out in New England. So the Chargers I think will potentially try to trade out and maybe they's a partner with the Minnesota Vikings. If New England can't trade out, I think Arizona would be crazy to trade out. If Marvin Harrison Junior is there, why not pair him with Kylin Murray And I Murray has a true number one because they lost their number one into receiver this offseason, So Michael Wilson is a nice young player, So I think Martin Harrison goes for Depending on what happens with the third pick, I think the Chargers either take Mylaitue Neighbors or Joe All or trade out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's end here Joe Douglas, At what point does he make a couple of calls? And we've done multiple segments on this over the last few weeks, at what point do you make a call to go up?
Speaker 2: And at what point are you seriously considering moving back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when you get to pick seven, right, you would assume that depending on if the Chargers take Joe All or my league neighbors, if they don't take one of those two guys, the Titans are going to take one of those guys. Where I think we're kind of assuming at this point, because Joe Shane and Brian Dabel haven't been able to pick a quarterback of their own for the future, you would assume at number six, if they don't try to trade up, they're going to pick a quarterback at that spot. Right. I know a lot of Giants fans will not love to hear that, but I'm just letting you know how football minds think. Every GM and every head coach want to be attached to a quarterback of their picking. Well, they haven't been allotted that favorite because Daniel Jones was already there when both of those guys got there. So when you get to seven again, if Joe All is there. If he's not, then you take oulu fashionu right, and then that's when if you're the Jets, that's when you call up now again in this scenario, if the Chargers decide to go offensive tackle instead of receiver, now you're potentially looking at two of the top three receivers still there at pig eight. So if you're the Jets, you're sitting pretty right there, right, You're sitting pretty pretty The only thing is you worry about another team trying to call and jump you. That's the issue at the Jets have. So even regardless of if there is two receivers still there in the top ten, I still would call it of falcons and see because I think a lot of people assume they're going to take the first defensive player off the board, which would be Dallas Turner where they feel comfortable, you know, coming back just two spots, maybe giving up a fourth to the six round pick to move back two spots to still take their guy and have the Jets move up. But eight, I think that's where it happens.
Speaker 2: So you're circling number eight.
Speaker 1: Conversely, I don't think the Jets actually do have a bad scenario. But what's the worst scenario where if you're Joe Dee, like, hey, I'm really looking to collect another two, I want more assets here? What happens at the top where you're seriously looking for a dance partner to get out of there?
Speaker 3: Well, this could be the worst case scenario here, say the top two tackles, Well, the scenario that I played for us, right, the top two tackles are gone, the top three receivers are gone. So at ten, who is going to be aggressive enough to move up for tackles when this is a deep tackle class. And if you're saying that fashion New and are the two blue chip left tackles, even though Waga and fot New are really good and so were Tyler Guyan and Maarus Mems, well you may feel like one of those dudes are gonna fall to you. Do I need to give up draft capital to move up? That's the only issue. And that's why I did that exercise in our draft, right, because that was that's literally the scenario the Jets could be in where you most likely it's better for you to just pick at ten because who's gonna truly want to move up if a lot of those tackles. Guys usually only move up for quarterbacks or offensive tackles right or top tier receivers. But if the top receivers are gone and this is a deep offensive tackle class and say fashion New at all is only are only like three or four spots from Fuaga fought New or you know, Memes or Tyler Guyan, then if you're a team, you're like, I'm not training up. One of those guys are gonna fall to me. So that could be a scenario. The Jets are in now you try to see if somebody wants to, you know, move up for you know who knows Brian Thomas. I don't see somebody moving up to number ten for him, even though he's a really good player. But unless somebody like really loves for Wagga, that would be the only scenario. But we know, we've heard that Joe d has the fut you know, affinity for for Woga, So I don't know if he just doesn't turn that card in himself.
Speaker 2: Well, the weight it's almost over, it's here, the twenty twenty four NFL Draft. Is it finally upon us?
Speaker 1: Hey, dude, it's been so much fun preview in the draft over the last few weeks. We're gonna break it down all next week. Why don't you tell folks where they can find you over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I'll be on CBS Sports Network this whole week and throughout the weekend and CBS Sports HQ breaking down, you know, different draft scenarios and during the draft breaking down picks from everybody. So it's gonna be a fun weekend again. He ate. So many players work their whole life and their dreams were finally coming true. So it's always a special time of year.
Speaker 1: Special time of year, great analysis. We will talk to you next week, brother.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, appreciate it. Yeah,