Speaker 1: Hi, this is Zach Wheeler.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Philly Show.
Speaker 3: Ruben Tomorrow, Junior, Jim Salisbury Todds. We like it's the Philly Show. Phillies lose on Tuesday and that NL wild card race is really tightening up. Phillies in a three way tie with the Diamondbacks and Padres for those final two wildcard spots. Let's talk about it. It's time for first pitch. First pitch is powered by Monster Energy. Guys, how are we doing this morning? Wednesday morning? Phillies lose on Tuesday to the Cardinals to nothing. Christopher Sanchez pitched well, and then I'm watching the game. Caleb Ferguson walks the bases loaded with no outs. I'm like, here we go, here we go. Luisa Rice, Luis Rice comes the plate, and what happened?
Speaker 2: Jim?
Speaker 3: What were you thinking of the press box when that went down? Because I heard what Rubin said it was something like during the broadcast he was like or unbelievable or oh oh no, it.
Speaker 2: Was a.
Speaker 4: Well, what I'm thinking when he came up is that he's zero for fifteen and he's like the most gifted hitter in the game, and I'm thinking, well, this is a great spot for this great hitter, three time batting champ. He'll he'll break out of it here and that'll be the that'll be the story. And he hit hit the ball really well, but right at the first baseman who made a very athletic play a the old three two three double play to get two outstand and then JT hit a ball to it. It was right center that would have been out of seventeen or I'm sorry, nineteen out of thirty big league parks, and they put it away. And earlier in the game, Crawford hit one that would have been out of like seventeen, sixteen or seventeen big league parks. I'm sorry, bom Alec Bohm did so they and then Crawford had two lineouts. They hit the ball pretty good, hit some tough luck, but nonetheless I was surprised Arise didn't come through there. Cardinals turned to excellent double play one of four in the game, and Phillies once again don't cash in on opportunities. They've been extremely inconsistent since July one, extremely inconsistent since they came back from the All Star break when they were just two out of the division. Yeah, now, they're in a tie for the last spot with the Padres. They got a little bit of a advantage because of the tiebreaker, but nonetheless they are moving in the wrong direction. They need to stop this thing and stop it soon behind Zach Wheeler on on Wednesday. I mean, I thought they were going to stop it behind or get it going behind Christopher Sanchez, but the bats just did not support him.
Speaker 2: No, they did not. They almost like they were a snake bit. And they did hit some balls strong.
Speaker 5: I mean they swung the bats pretty well, but not when they needed to. I mean sometimes just a b loop will suffice or a soft ground ball will suffice. They hit a lot of hard hit balls right at people. Yesterday you mentioned Crawford. He hit a couple of bullets, pretty frustrating, two or three of them, pretty frustrating for him, back to the point where he tossed his helmet, uh from him. Alec Bohm is not the only guy who snaps, but Alec Bohm drove some balls, and.
Speaker 2: I'm just been.
Speaker 5: Amazed at the overall defense of bryceon Stott. He made three and I usually circle or highlight defensive plays. I had three or four phenomenal defensive plays by Bryce since Stott started by dreyp Bryce and Scott at third base, he has been excellent. Kudos to him swinging the bat well. I think he punts out his last two times up, but he's been swinging his bat, swinging the bat.
Speaker 2: Well, playing well. Overall. Pretty impressed by him.
Speaker 5: But you're right, the offense just cannot support the uh, the starting pitching right now.
Speaker 2: And and I know.
Speaker 5: They're the old adage. They're producers, not directors as far as where to hit the ball.
Speaker 2: But you can be you can try to create your own.
Speaker 5: Luck somehow, some way, and it's unfortunately the Phillies have not been able to do that on a consistent basis. And they're numbers with runners in scoring position lately have been terrible, and as a result, they are not winning baseball games. And the overall offensive numbers of this ball club grossly underachieving in my in my opinion, for whatever reason they are, there's an underachieving offensive team. In the past four or five years, it's been a top five offensive team. This year it is a bottom third offensive team.
Speaker 2: Other than maybe some of the slug numbers.
Speaker 5: Frankly, they just do not provide enough offense to support some of the some of the pitching that they've had.
Speaker 3: Well, they were whatever they're oh for seven on Tuesday night with runners in scoring position. That was the twenty seventh time this season they've been shut out and or held a one run Only the A's have fallen victim to that more like twenty eight games only.
Speaker 2: That really isn't for a payroll like this, that's unacceptable. It really is.
Speaker 5: When you talk about the amount of money that they've poured into the offensive side of this team, for them to have twenty seven games where they have not tallied, that's very very hard to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Poor, it's poor, you know.
Speaker 3: And you waste another good start by Christopher Sanchez. They this is only the fourth time they've lost a Sanchez start since April thirtieth or fifteen and four now, and Sanchez starts and this is not like one of the ones where he gave up three runs or four runs. He didn't give up any runs in six innings. You guys were surprised, I assume as me, and you know, Jim, you were asking Don Maddingly about it and Christopher Sanchez about it postgame on Tuesday about the decision to pull him after eighty nine games.
Speaker 2: Jim.
Speaker 3: The vibe I got just from watching the postgame show Rubens same thing was that it was just brutally hot there and he was just gassed. I mean, that's that's kind of the and Don was kind of protect the picture but a little bit by saying, well, I could just tell.
Speaker 2: I could just tell.
Speaker 3: But Sanchez kind of said the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sanchez acknowledged he was done. He said, you know, that was the phrase Don used. He went down and in the dug got off to the sixth and communicated it with him, and Don just said he was done. You could tell, and Sanchez. Sanchez did not really deny it. He said it was, you know, a mutual decision. And it was funny. Right before the game started above the above the bullpens, they have the game time temperature.
Speaker 1: They have the temperature of the day.
Speaker 4: And six minutes, you know, ten minutes before the game started, it was it said ninety four degrees and it was really hot. A lot of brick there that radiates the heat. It was one of the hottest games I can remember. So it says ninety four about ten minutes before first pitch, and then there was the first pitch and they announced.
Speaker 1: Ninety one and I'm like, wow, dropped.
Speaker 4: It didn't drop that much, you know that quick so, but it was very, very hot, very thick air, two nights in a row, a human and when a kid from the DR says it was uncomfortable, uncomfortable, you know, you know the weather is uncomfortable, right, Reuben.
Speaker 2: Well, no question about it.
Speaker 5: And he's he's not the kind of guy that would let him that would take himself out of a ballgame or let the umpire know. I mean, this is the guy that looked into the dugout that one time when he looked in and said, I need.
Speaker 2: One more hitter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when it was a game probably in the middle of the season or early part of the season, when he didn't want to come out of the game.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, it's it is really brutally hot out there.
Speaker 5: Or what I thought was interesting is they brought the kid in in that situation, in a very difficult situation, and Donnie just you know, gave gave McFarland a shot, uh and actually ended up overall throwing the ball pretty well.
Speaker 2: Alex McFarlane.
Speaker 5: But when you walk, guys, it comes back to get you every single time, and unfortunately, I mean, this kid might end up being an outstanding believer for this ball club, but in this situation, not sure if.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 5: At a necessity or whether he just didn't trust the Kirker Rings and Alvarado's of the world, or that it just seemed like Doroan was not available so they had to go with, you know, hold off on some of those guys. So again two nights in a row where they had you know, it's that bullpen's been beat up so much. Here's the thing, as an old school baseball person that I don't quite understand. You know, back in the day, we had rotations and pitching staffs that had nine or ten people. Now they have thirteen, They have eight guys in the bullpen. I know that it's a different era and a different time where maximum velocity and maximum spin puts more strain on pitch.
Speaker 2: But again, this is something that has.
Speaker 5: To be realigned or rethunk in baseball because guys should be available out of the bullpen, and they're not because they're being used too much, or you're not developing enough starting pitching to go, you know, have the enough length to cover some of these innings, and it is in this day and age, it's astonishing to me that for two straight days they didn't really have any bullpen pieces to use on a team that has eight relievers. Eight relievers. Think about this for a second. Back in the day, we had five relievers and stop time.
Speaker 2: I mean, I again, I know it's a different world.
Speaker 5: I know it's a different type of strain on your arm and that sort of thing. But something something about baseball that has to change is is just that you have to try to develop players who can pitch back to back to back games, simple as that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was trying to stay away.
Speaker 4: I think from Kirkering and Duran, I think Alvarado was available. Yeah, but the kid, You're right, I mean, it's a it's a really good arm.
Speaker 1: So he strikes out. I'm sorry he walked.
Speaker 4: The first batter he faced, Jordan Walker on six pitches and ball four is one hundred point seven miles an hour. Walker steals second on the first pitch, and then he comes back and gives up a he almost gets out of. He gives up a two out single on another one hundred mile an hour pitch. Like I said, it's a good arm. But those walks will kill you. Leadoff walks will just kill you. He's not the reason they lost the game. Ultimately, he is tagged with the with the loss. But the offense is the reason why they lost this one. But it's a good arm man. But I'm eager to see more.
Speaker 5: If you guys, let me pontificate a little bit more. And I apologize for taking over here. But one of the other things that happened in this game is he walks the lead off guy, and yes, he's going to be a good picture in my opinion, doesn't pay attention to the base runner long to the plate gets the second base that ends up that ends up beating him because he doesn't he's not doesn't have the ability, or doesn't have.
Speaker 2: The wherewithal or the know how, or the he's not.
Speaker 5: Alert enough to know that this guy could steal a base. These are all things that will happen with more experience. And you know, this is a perfect example of players coming to the major leagues that are not necessarily fully prepared for these types of situations. Baseball in the major leagues is fall are far different from baseball in the minor leagues, and the preparation I don't know. I know you have to experience it to be there. But it's also one of those situations where, listen, you come to the big leagues, you have to be able to hold runners, if you're if you're a bullpen guy, and you have to be able to throw strikes. I'm not saying that he won't. I think he will. I think I like the way he went about it. But these are all really important pieces of the game, those subtle things that people don't necessarily see. That's the reason why one of the reasons why they lost that game, guy scores on a bash because he's at second base instead of at first. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 1: He's twenty five years old. When do you learn that? Geez?
Speaker 2: Well, that's Those are things that have to be taught in the minor leagues, and I see it time and time again where there are players that come to the major leagues.
Speaker 5: It's not just the Phillies, and in fact, I think the player development wise, I think they do a pretty good job of preparing guys, but they don't I don't know that those things are being emphasized. I don't know the subtleties of the game are being emphasized they're more worried and concerned about the guy's ability to spin the baseball and to throw it hard than to understand the nuances of the game that the guy might steal in this situation, or you got to throw strikes, because if you don't throw strikes in the big leagues, man, you're in trouble. I mean, these these these sorts of things, small things that have to be learned before you get to the big leagues, and now they're learning them in the big leagues. Sometimes when it's too late.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting to see how he handles those moments his next few times out, because that was that was the second big league appearance. If I'm not mistaken correct, so is so I was gonna say, is there a possibility Jim and Ruben that he walks Jordan Walker. By the way, Jim, I I read your story from last night NBC Sports filadelph He had a great lead and said, there's an old baseball adage doesn't matter how hard you throw, ball four, it's ball four. So anyway he walks, he walks Jordan Walker. Is it possible that this guy is in his second big league appearance? Tie Game zero zero seventh inning, and he's just kind of like not not not not that he can't do it, but maybe he's just not focused on it because he's a little bit nervous, you know. So I want to say is maybe you know, we'll see, we'll see the next third appearance, fourth appearance, fifth appearance. If he's better at holding these runners and paying attention to these runners. Maybe he was kind of scared out there.
Speaker 2: What I did notice is he sped up his delivery when the base it occurred. I forget who got the hit. It was Mason.
Speaker 5: Who can steal a base now all of a sudden, Okay, And I think Caleb Coffin went out there to talk to him at some point, not sure before maason win or after the base hit, But he sped up his delivery and Mason didn't attempt him to, uh, to steal a base because he was a little bit, a little bit quicker to the plate.
Speaker 4: There you go, And those things are all those are all great points, and those little things are completely magnified when you don't score enough runs to play over them.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, yeah, all right, I'm not blaming the kid. I'm not blaming the kid.
Speaker 5: It's just that you know, he's put in a tough spit situation and he made He may hold runners great in the future, he may do all those things.
Speaker 2: But in a tight situation.
Speaker 5: Like that, that's where some of those subtle things can can cost you a ballgame. And you hope that that game doesn't kick them out of the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Correct, And you hope it's a learning experience, because of course, I think failure is still the best teacher.
Speaker 3: Revol So Amen, Monster Energy, Unleash the Beast, Bold flavors, legendary kick. Stop by your local retailer and grab one before first pitch Tonight.
Speaker 6: Science experiment for the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt.
Speaker 2: And I'm holding a citrus salt.
Speaker 6: Just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 7: I love Quints because after a long night out and a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Stevy a free keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 6: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to Quin dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns Quick dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 3: If you are watching us on YouTube, please hit that subscribe button. It's a great way to support and grow the show. And of course you go to the Phillies show shop dot com to pick up your Phillies show gear. We appreciate your support. As always, everybody has picked up some stuff. It's fun to see the orders come in every day every week. The last few months has been pretty cool to see. So Bryce Harper, Jim, you had a little chat with Bryce on Tuesday before the game. Here's a quote because he DHD on Monday, he DHD on Saturday. It seems like a lot of DH in the New Phillies right fielder. Well, it turns out he's got a sore left knee, and he said it's not to the point where it's oh crap, which is good. I can still play. I can manage it. Jim, what can you tell us about this because this is something definitely worth monitoring moving forward on Bryce Harper's health.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely worth monitoring. He's we know how important he is in a lot of ways as he and Schwarber go, so goes this offense. But yeah, he banged that left knee sliding into a base in Detroit before the All Star break.
Speaker 1: Charlotte and Lachlan went back and found some video. They're really good at it and.
Speaker 4: Didn't it looked like a pretty innocuous play, but he kind of kept it under wraps. Didn't tell anybody, neither did Don But he said he just banged it a little bit.
Speaker 1: It was sore, calmed down.
Speaker 4: It got a little sore recently as he moved back to the outfield and started moving a little differently. But he's getting treatment. He thinks he's fine Don revealed it on Monday. Hopper confirmed it on Tuesday. But like you said, he doesn't think it's a big deal. And play through it. Forty one games left. You play through it. Guys have bumps and bruises all over that locker room and you got to play through it, especially your big boys. So maintain it, make sure it doesn't get worse, and go go from there.
Speaker 5: But one of the things that we'll say about knee and any lower body issues is that we've seen it with schwarbur in the past. You can't use your lower half the way you want to, and you're not really driving the ball. It's it makes it. It affects the way you one move in the outfield for him, and to the.
Speaker 2: Way you move in at the dish.
Speaker 5: And if you're not able to use your lower I mean he uses a lot of his lower half to drive the ball. He creates a lot of torque with his swing. Uh, so it can't affect him. And he hasn't been swinging the bat all that well, taking his walks getting on base, but he hasn't really swung it.
Speaker 2: All that well.
Speaker 5: I had a couple of double play balls yesterday. Obviously he was not running down the line. Not sure if he's just trying to preserve himself or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 2: But but it.
Speaker 5: Can't affect the other parts of your game. So you wonder whether or not it makes some sense just to get off of it for a couple of days and not play. I know he wants to play one hundred and sixty two games, and he wants to play every day, and I and I totally get, you know, playing through some things.
Speaker 2: But does it make some sense to give him a day or two.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's gonna it's gonna happen in the uh in the game there in in Iowa.
Speaker 2: It's too you know, it's too big of a stage. But does he get a day or two at some.
Speaker 5: Point to uh to get a breather on off of that knee so that he can come back and be one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: You would think you would think the day game on Wednesday might be a good chance because it's hot. I mean, he's grounded into three double plays last two nights, one of them got to run home.
Speaker 5: But yeah, maybe it would make some sense. It would make some sense on the day game on today on Wednesday, But.
Speaker 4: I would be, I guess surprised because he does seem hell bent on staying on that field. He's played, He's played one hundred and twenty one. He don't want to stop.
Speaker 3: Now, what do you guys think of Schwarber at at at first base? You know, if that that would have Harper d h Schwarber at first base, get bum out of the lineup. He's been struggling, of course, but.
Speaker 1: It's happened twice in the last few days.
Speaker 3: I guess might right correct, But I don't.
Speaker 2: Have a problem with it. He's been he's been okay over there. He's getting better and better. I mean, he works very hard, and he really enjoys it.
Speaker 5: He came off the field the other day and he was like, he came off the field after doing.
Speaker 2: Work a couple of days ago, and I was like, how did that feel? He goes, I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's fun. It's fun good.
Speaker 5: Uh So, I mean, listen, he's again, he's a team player, will do whatever the team wants him to do.
Speaker 2: But I think he enjoys doing it.
Speaker 5: And he's actually gotten better and better just having watched his actions and watched his movements and and he's done pretty well in the games as well.
Speaker 3: It's a nice, it could potentially nice little wrinkle there. I mean, if if you're not that you want that to happen. You want Harper out in the field. But if he would need to get off this fet and you know d H for a few games here and there, that's that isn't could be an option for him moving forward. I mean, like you said, Jim, it's happened a couple of times in the last four games.
Speaker 4: But I got the impression, I got the impression that Bryce would have preferred that no one ever found out about this, But Don mentioned it when he dated on on Monday.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a natural question to ask. I mean, you guys are doing your your twice in three games. You know, it's like, why is why is this happening? He said he wanted to play right field. Why has it happened two times in three games? There's got to be a reason for it.
Speaker 1: It also, it also don't like to admit stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Correct it Also it also begs the question.
Speaker 5: It also begs the question, Hey, do you start playing Schorebert first base more regularly if you don't feel like Boehm is the guy and you want to use that d H slot for somebody else.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if that.
Speaker 5: Is something that is a thought part of a thought process with Don Manningly, I think, Jim, you asked about that, and you asked about Alec Bohm and he sounded very confident in him, but his nose could have hit you, possibly in the chest when he said it. We sure, we certainly have to support our players when we're a manager, correct, But I mean Boom has hits. The ball is pretty good, but he just hasn't lately. But it hasn't really produced a whole lot of offense. Do you sit him and does he become, you know, a guy that plays against the lefties only does he become a platoon guy?
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean these are fair questions. I mean, you know, his production has not been good for a while now, and you know he grades out as one of the worst players in baseball this season, most worst regular players in baseball this season. So it's these are all fair questions. I know fans are frustrated with his play and they're frustrated with his frustrations that he shows on the field.
Speaker 1: Frustrations.
Speaker 2: Had one big snap in the in the dugout.
Speaker 3: I mean, so what, Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 5: I'd rather have that guy care and then then sit on his ass and give toots about making outs.
Speaker 3: Well, it is funny because if if he never showed any emotion, they'd say that, you know, people would say the guy's a dead ass and he doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Chase, how many?
Speaker 3: How many? How many helmets did Chase Utley break? We've talked about this on.
Speaker 1: The show before in one season and Rubin didn't.
Speaker 3: You have to have an honest chat with Chase at one point or somebody can say, hey, please stop breaking helmets were running. I think it was maybe Philly's Bill Sheridan.
Speaker 4: Bill Sheridan did, yeah, he he he smashed seven in one season, but he always did it up the tunnel when no we saw it, and Phil Sheridan the equipment. I had to say, hey, you know, we get to the end of the season, I'm down to your last helmet. I don't know if I can get one here in time, you know, please, But yeah, bo, I'm all right when he snaps, and I mean he should have snapped after that, but he hit that ball three hundred and ninety nine feet the guy made a great catch last night. The umpire actually thought it was gone. At one point, the umpire raised his hand because the center fielder Peiri just sat there like he didn't know if he had it or not. And the umpire raised his hand like this and Bot pointed to the bullpen.
Speaker 1: He thought it was out. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: It was interesting.
Speaker 5: And what was interesting about the play was and when he landed, when the outfielder Lena Perreira landed, he was like, it looked like it was a it was a frustration gesture, and it was like, I'm excited gesture for making that play, right, And so if you're in the booth and he can't quite see what's going on out there, it's hard to see. You're thinking, you're thinking it's a home run. And then I was like, oh my gosh, he made that catch. He made that catch.
Speaker 2: Seane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was really weird to watch Bom reach second base and point to the dugout that's well.
Speaker 2: He went all the way to third base thinking he still headed home run.
Speaker 5: And then and then the ac had had to let him know, cause Paris had to let him know, you're out, my friend.
Speaker 3: I know you're really happy, don't kill me. I didn't do it, but you're out.
Speaker 2: Exactly not fun at all. At I will tell you've been there and done.
Speaker 3: It from ultimate elation to what Yeah anyway, So, Ruben, what's going on at Parks Casino?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Interestingly, I am now prepared for my reads summertime or anytime. Parks Casino is my casino choice and has been since it has opened. And at Parks Casino, this is how you win. They have it all action, headline entertainment, the Liberty Bell Garden, a great poker room, and award winning dining. Every month, there's Latin Nights dance, free dance lessons, and a live salsa band Jim That's Your Groove, Plus monthly Jazz Night and monthly Country music Nights with line dancing and a live country band.
Speaker 2: Plus Comedy Night every month.
Speaker 5: Hosted by Joe Conklin and featuring a great lineup of touring comedians plus national headliners. The State of Art Excite Center just announced comedian Tim Dillon November fourteenth, Rick Springfield remember him. On December third. Country music Favorites a Lady A on December eighteenth, that Lady Antebellum make the night complete and stay at the beautiful new Parksview Hotel, which has just steps away from from the casino and offers free shuttle service. Tickets are still available for your favorite Jim George Thoroughgood and The Destroyers August twenty eighth, Australian Pink Floyd on August twenty ninth, magic magician Michael Carbonaro on September nineteenth, Tommy Chong from Teaching Cheong on November twenty first, and comedian and comedian Michelle Wolf on December fifth. Parkscasino dot com to buy tickets Parks Casino, Pennsylvania's number one casino street road Exit Off ninety five in the PA Turnpike in Ben Salem, Bucks County. You gotta be twenty one gambling problem. Please call one eight hundred galer.
Speaker 3: All right, We're back. Monday was kind of an that was one of the weirder, weirder games I've watched in this sense, Andrew Painter's thrown a no hitter, he gives up a couple hits in the sixth inning, runs into trouble. Alan ron Hell comes in the game and he is going through it. In the eighth inning. Crickets in the Phillies bullpen. Nothing going on, not that nobody's a moving and I'm going, wow, they really are going to bite the bullet here they win the game. But that was one of the weirder games I've seen in a while, because I've we talked about this at the beginning of the show, haven't really I've never really seen a game where it was like, this is it. We've got one guy, maybe another guy. If they have the lead in the ninth inning, that is it. And then Jim you asked the question after Monday Night's game, what would have happened in the tenth inning if this game would have been tied, and Don Mattingly said, Garrett Stubbs, as good would have pitched that game. That is insane.
Speaker 5: It's insane. It is insane in this dame age to have had that situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were ready to lose the game. They were ready to lose the game, sacrifice the game. Yeah, you know which, I mean, you're right. I can remember five six man bullpens when you always had that one long man who could suck it up forever. And and there's really no such thing as that. Everybody's just you know, max effort for an inning and go away, and there was you know, Don wanted to get his guy's rest, but I'm sure there's people in his ear, like the medical staff, saying, we're leaning too heavily on these guys.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have a breakdown. Somebody's gonna get hurt.
Speaker 4: And with them being so thin in pitching at the big league level and even beyond that, organizationally, you know they can't afford another injury they already have killing him down. So yeah, it was surreal watching Alan Ranghell get through that eighth inning as the Cardinals arounding the base is taking you know, big a swings off this guy because they were also confident, and all of a sudden he stopped it. It was a gutsy inning for him, but under ordinary circumstances you get him out of the inning. It's like anybody with any competitive instinct is like, what are they doing? Why are they not you know, getting this guy out of here and trying to stop this thing. But he was He and the organization, I will say, because Dobrowski was in on medical staff was in on it, Garrett Stubbs was in on it. They knew what they were doing to try to get these guys some rest. So though it wasn't a complete reset because I still don't think they had Duran on Tuesday night, it helped get them some guys some rest. But ultimately they didn't get a win the next day, but they got one that day.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised they got it and held on they got on Monday.
Speaker 5: You've got to give a lot of love to John Jonathan Bolan, who has become a more trusted piece back there for Don matting Les. But right now, I think it's Duran and Boland back there in the eighth and ninth where he started to really trust him. And you've got to give some of the Jonathan Boleen, his first major league safe didn't even know it at the time, cool that his his family was there to enjoy it and to be there for it. But he's come a long way from the beginning of the season where he seemed tentative at times with his stuff, and now he's just sort of building into the guy that Don mannically can trust. I still think that they they could have used a even more talented and or experienced guy in the back end of the bullpen, and I do feel like it's going to end up being an achilles heel for them at some point, sadly hopefully. You know, the guys like McFarlane who's got the big arm and a guy like Bolan who is starting to come into his own can hold things down. But you just never know how they're going to react come September when they have to win a baseball game to get into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank goodness for Jonathan Bolan. That ends up. You know, David and Browse, he he's coming or some heat lately for some of the off season moves and just you know, roster construction and this and that. But you know, he traded Matt Strom to the Royals on this, you know whatever mid December, late December, in December for Jonathan Bolan and Matt Strum. Just got d F eight on August fourth, and here's Jonathan Bollan. If they didn't have it, maybe they would be in deep.
Speaker 4: Did you guys feel uncomfortable watching that eighth inning Monday night?
Speaker 2: I was squirming, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I was calling it.
Speaker 2: I was squirming. I'm thinking to myself, well, then they literally have nobody.
Speaker 5: They literally have one guy, and it's Jonathan Bolan, And I think he wanted to stay away from Jonathan Bolan that day if he didn't have to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm his job. I'm just sitting at home going. I literally sat out out a couple of This is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: This is unbelievable, and there's literally nobody warming up. I mean, I'm gonna keep looking something in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: This is no bueno be because didn't didn't maddingly say before the game, like you gotta might might have to lose the battle to win the war. I think somebody he said, didn't he say something along those lines.
Speaker 2: He may have.
Speaker 5: He may have said that, but you don't want to like give the other team that you like, that competitive advantage by letting them know that so and so is not available and so and so is not available and so.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Said.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go. He said to Scott franskiin the on the pregame show. I know I saw that or read that quote somewhere, heard that quote somewhere, so uh So I was like, wow, I guess he's serious anyway. So, Philly's tough.
Speaker 2: It's a tough position, tough position to be in.
Speaker 5: Man when you're having to win every single game. Because Don Manning himself said this is a sprint. Now, yeah, well you know, sprint you gotta in every freaking game.
Speaker 2: The Phillies are.
Speaker 3: Tied right now, tied right now with the Podres and the Diamondbacks for that second and third wild card since the All Star break. The Podreys are sixteen and nine, the Diamondbacks are fifteen and ten, and the Phillies are ten and fourteen. So Phillies are kind of going the wrong way and these other other two teams are heating up. The Marlin or the Marlins are two and a half back. But Phillies are in a tough spot right now. They gotta they gotta start playing better.
Speaker 5: I know, a week ago or ten days ago, I said these this team's making the playoffs. I can't say that with that kind of confidence anymore. Yeah, I can't do it, no doubt.
Speaker 1: You're waffling, Ruben. You're waffling.
Speaker 2: Well I am waffling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I call me a waffler, Rubin.
Speaker 3: I was right there with on the.
Speaker 2: Fence, up directly embedded on the fence.
Speaker 1: Well you're at it. Make me a waffle.
Speaker 2: I'm firmly embedded on the fence.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: All right, well, Phillies wrap it up on would we say Wednesday is a must win?
Speaker 5: I feel like, yeah, every game they must win for the next morning.
Speaker 4: So they could go into the cornfield out of the wildcard picture. I guess with the with the tiebreaker, I guess it would still be tied. But well, you know, you know, it just doesn't look good when you're out.
Speaker 3: There right right you meet the Potter's wind to night. Padres and Diamondbacks win on Tuesday and Wednesday and the Phillies lose, will be out right, they'll be.
Speaker 2: Field. Are you joining us in the cornfields?
Speaker 4: And I was gonna say, have you seen that September schedule? It is a bear?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, no, it's going to be aggressive, Jim. Are you joining us in the cornfields?
Speaker 4: I am not. I am not going to the cornfield. I'm going to uh the airport and going home to my own cornfields.
Speaker 2: Is it for a lack of work or I mean, do you not you don't want it? I mean, do you want it?
Speaker 1: I'm actually not allowed in the state of Iowa. I have to come clean.
Speaker 3: I've been to Iowa a few times.
Speaker 2: You've taken too many of their of their secrets out of there for your gardening. You're stealing too many secrets.
Speaker 4: Todd used to go to Iowa to cover Big ten basketball football.
Speaker 3: Right, that's correct, that's correct. Almost got a Yeah, it's a I've been there. I haven't been the field.
Speaker 1: You're not joining us either.
Speaker 2: I'm a solo.
Speaker 3: No, you're gonna be solo. I I I think it's gonna be a fantastic event. I am really looking forward to watching it on TVAG.
Speaker 2: I hope it doesn't get rained out. We got a chance for no.
Speaker 3: Thanks no, no, thank you, well regardless, we will be back on Friday to talk about Field of Dreams. So until then, to.
Speaker 2: Know you. If you made it this far, you'll love this next video.
Speaker 5: Check it out right here and make sure you subscribe to The Phillies Show for more Phillies coverage like this multiple times a week